Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

If it’s not hurting then it’s not working – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,870
edited July 4 in General
If it’s not hurting then it’s not working – politicalbetting.com

Exclusive: The Tories' warning of a Labour "supermajority" has backfired, a new poll has revealed.26% of voters say it makes them more likely to vote for Keir Starmer's party, compared to just 13% who will now back the Conservatives.https://t.co/o7tMqlSGze

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 699
    edited June 29
    First after stewards enquiry
  • Options
    That Savanta poll for the Telegraph would suggest a lot of tactical voting, no wonder the Tories in the leafy shires are bricking it.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,460

That Savanta poll for the Telegraph would suggest a lot of tactical voting, no wonder the Tories in the leafy shires are bricking it.

Guess the Lib-Dems are forgiven from the left for the Coalition...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,671
    GIN1138 said:

Guess the Lib-Dems are forgiven from the left for the Coalition...
    Perhaps nine years of unadulterated Toryism has led to a reappraisal of their importance?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 65,020
    Wow.

Trump: All they know is electric. They want electric planes. What happens if the sun isn't shining while you're up in the air?
    https://x.com/Acyn/status/1806786821311082854
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,800
    Since we've heard for years of the dangers of a "coalition of chaos", and the undoubted necessity of a majority government, then this should come as no surprise.
    Even better if it's a super one.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,898

It suggests Labour peeling off to Green and Indy as much as LD tacticals which is only +1
  • Options
    edited June 29
    Nigelb said:

Wow.

Trump: All they know is electric. They want electric planes. What happens if the sun isn't shining while you're up in the air?

The pilot asks Trump to drop his trousers so it will shine again?
  • Options
    I'm reassessing my Portillo moment- Gillian Keegan getting booted out in Chichester might be more entertaining than Liz Truss losing.

Nah, I still want to see Truss get ousted.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Wow.

In all seriousness, does @Leon still think Trump is not senile as he recites mindless guff like this?

In 2016 he was coherent if not pleasant.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,682
    Nigelb said:

Wow.

Also, the Hoover Dam is too heavy to fly.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 29,602
    edited June 29
    O/T

Just noticed that although the Tories aren't standing in Rotherham, the Yorkshire Party is. So I wonder whether the latter might get an usually large number of votes as a result, although I don't know where they stand on the left/right axis.

https://election.pressassociation.com/general-election/general-election-2024/
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,841
    @OpiniumResearch

🚨 New polling with
    @ObserverUK

Labour continue to lead by 20
    · Labour 40% (n/c)
    · Conservatives 20% (n/c)
    · Reform 17% (+1)
    · Lib Dems 13% (n/c)
    · Greens 6% (-3)
    · SNP 3% (n/c)
    Fieldwork: 26 - 28 June. Changes from 19 - 21 June.

https://x.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1807127231413518407
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,881
    Five years of Labour fucking up will be a great recruiting seargeant for the Conservatives.

Again.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,468
    edited June 29
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,325
    Scott_xP said:

@OpiniumResearch

🚨 New polling with
    @ObserverUK

· Labour 40% (n/c)
    · Reform 17% (+1)
    · Lib Dems 13% (n/c)
    · Greens 6% (-3)
    · SNP 3% (n/c)

Broken, sleazy Greens on the slide :lol:
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,857
    English football commentators, dontcha just love ‘em.

Towards end of Switzerland-Italy match: Italy will need an Italian job
    Start of Germany-Denmark: Germany will need some Vorsprung durch Technik

It’s like Ed Murrow took up sports commentary.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Wow.

But how good is it at sucking?
  • Options

I'm reassessing my Portillo moment- Gillian Keegan getting booted out in Chichester might be more entertaining than Liz Truss losing.

Be greedy. Ask for both.

If I'm honest I think Keegan was rather lumbered with Education. She inherited a department full of rather stupid and ignorant but also extremely arrogant people, a junior minister who had been there for years and whose every policy had been an utter fiasco, a series of non-ministerial departments which had no idea what they were doing and had left us without functioning exams or inspection systems, a series of major scandals including a number of schools literally falling down, and a government that didn't seem to grasp why things were not working.

But...she hasn't really helped herself, that said.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,644

Reform
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

Just noticed that although the Tories aren't standing in Rotherham, the Yorkshire Party is. So I wonder whether the latter might get an usually large number of votes as a result, although I don't know where they stand on the left/right axis.

Reform will pick up a good chunk I think. Labour will be miles ahead though
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,545
    It's an interesting question whether the median life expectancy of Tory voters is greater or lesser than the median life expectancy of the Tory party.
  • Options

Five years of Labour fucking up will be a great recruiting seargeant for the Conservatives.

Again.

That's roughly what Labour thought in 2010.

Remind me how that turned out.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Be greedy. Ask for both.

If I'm honest I think Keegan was rather lumbered with Education. She inherited a department full of rather stupid and ignorant but also extremely arrogant people, a junior minister who had been there for years and whose every policy had been an utter fiasco, a series of non-ministerial departments which had no idea what they were doing and had left us without functioning exams or inspection systems, a series of major scandals including a number of schools literally falling down, and a government that didn't seem to grasp why things were not working.

You mean she didn't do a f*cking good job??? ;)
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Wow.

But how good is it at sucking?
    Does it suck as much as

(A) Trump
    (B ) Stormy Daniels when not being paid by Trump?
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,662

Again.

Let's hope not. I'm worried that the next iteration of the Tory Party will be modelled on Reform and we don't want what's left of the Conservative brand being hijacked to give them a shot at real power. Such an entity needs to be crushed so that we can move on to a non-toxic opposition, whether that's called the Conservative Party or something else.
  • Options

Again.

And if that doesn't work you can always fantasise about what might happen in 2034.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Be greedy. Ask for both.

Speaking of fucking up a job, what's that idiot Amanda Spielman doing these days?
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,425
    If you want to live longer, vote Labour, Lib Dem or Green. If you want to die early, vote Reform.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,950

Again.

But that might be counteracted if the Conservatives swing towards the Faragist right, repelling voters even more.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,955

Meh, one of the Indian commentators in the T20 final today said "He's literally making the ball talk", which I thought was quite an achievement.
  • Options

If you want to live longer, vote Labour, Lib Dem or Green. If you want to die early, vote Reform.

Put that way, it sounds as though you have Ze Master Plans for Ze Reform Woters.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Be greedy. Ask for both.

Speaking of fucking up a job, what's that idiot Amanda Spielman doing these days?
    Probably on to another well paid gig that she is spectacularly unqualified for, and ill-suited to.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Meh, one of the Indian commentators in the T20 final today said "He's literally making the ball talk", which I thought was quite an achievement.
    Did it talk balls? Or just call the shots?
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,502
    I do hope this Germany Denmark match resolves the Schleswig-Holstein question.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Talking balls is certainly a recurring theme.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Wow.

You do get the idea that while Biden struggles to remember things about the real world, Trump has a rock solid grasp of his fantasy world.
  • Options

Wasn't it Bismarck who said, 'There are only three people who have ever understood the Schleswig-Holstein question: the Prince Consort, who is dead; a German professor, who is mad; and I who have forgotten?'
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Wasn't it Bismarck who said, 'There are only three people who have ever understood the Schleswig-Holstein question: the Prince Consort, who is dead; a German professor, who is mad; and I who have forgotten?'
    Lord Palmerston.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Lord Palmerston.
    I knew it was some random imperialist.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,361
    pigeon said:

Again.

Let's hope not. I'm worried that the next iteration of the Tory Party will be modelled on Reform and we don't want what's left of the Conservative brand being hijacked to give them a shot at real power. Such an entity needs to be crushed so that we can move on to a non-toxic opposition, whether that's called the Conservative Party or something else.
    I am sure that the lessons the tories will take from their imminent defeat is that they need to be a more competent and better funded iteration of Reform. They will attempt rebuild a political movement around 63 year old fat white men called Barry who smoke while driving their Peugeot Partners and post pictures of their Alsatians on FB.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

It's a left/reet axis here.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,542

Rain stops play.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

pigeon said:

Again.

I am sure that the lessons the tories will take from their imminent defeat is that they need to be a more competent and better funded iteration of Reform. They will attempt rebuild a political movement around 63 year old fat white men called Barry who smoke while driving their Peugeot Partners and post pictures of their Alsatians on FB.
    Evening DA, hope you've recovered from the rigours of your trip to the East.

Can imagine it must have been painful, driving a Volkswagen.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Palmerston?
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,156
    edited June 29

Or just be Scottish and save the effort of voting.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,557
    ydoethur said:

Lord Palmerston, no?
  • Options
    What the eff is happening in the Germany/Denmark match?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Lord Palmerston.
    He was the greatest Foreign Secretary this country has ever had until Dave got the job.
  • Options

Again.

Wonder how long it will take them to run out of money this time? Can they keep the show on the road for two terms?😂
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Lord Palmerston.
    He was the greatest Foreign Secretary this country has ever had until Dave got the job.
    Should have known you'd like a man who invaded and humiliated France.

Oh, sorry, you meant Palmerston?
  • Options
    Now a lot of hail in the Germany game.

There is an obvious gag I refuse to make....
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Big storm, pretty biblical.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

... Alsatians ...

That takes me back.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,682
    Andy_JS said:

Thunder, lightning, hail, rain, locusts, boils, plague.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Again.

Wonder how long it will take them to run out of money this time? Can they keep the show on the road for two terms?😂
    Labour never runs out of other people's money....
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

pigeon said:

Again.

Pretty much. The problem is that, if the Fat Barry Party can convince the grey vote that Labour is a threat to their triple locked pensions and/or the value of their stupidly overpriced houses, they'll all stampede immediately over to it. This is far from a negligible prospect.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 50,450
    Is it the Endtimes or what?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,754
    Very much doubt it's backfired.

This is one thing I've noticed that's cut through.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Andy_JS said:

Richi Sunak is about to make a speech
    Calling off the election?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Solved in 1920...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1920_Schleswig_plebiscites
  • Options
    Diana Coad, who has stood for Slough 3 times before, twice as a Tory and once as UKIP, is standing there again as an indy.
  • Options

Voting Conservative will give your wife bigger breasts and increase your chances of owning a BMW.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Lord Palmerston.
    He certainly left some impressive follies.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Again.

And if that doesn't work you can always fantasise about what might happen in 2034.
    We'll be on you from Day One mate.

Prepare yourselves.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

An astonishing storm. But this ain't cricket, so the match will be completed eventually, as opposed to India being declared the winners.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Wow.

In all seriousness, does @Leon still think Trump is not senile as he recites mindless guff like this?

I’m no Trumpite so please shut the fuck up with this shit

And in this statement Trump is referring to solar power - creating electricity. It’s not insane - is it clumsy telescoping of concepts? Perhaps

But he’s not a corpse in a headlight like Biden
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,380
    edited June 29
    Assuming that the results work out as projected I would expect all parties to be transformed by the GE.

Lab: will have half or more of there MPs from areas currently SNP or Con, making them simultaneously the largest party in Scotland and England. They will want to hold onto as many of these shire and suburban seats as possible, so the swing in the PLP will be heavily to Starmerite centrism. There will be a lot of fresh talent to assimilate, and probably a few unexpected O'Meara's.

LD: will be back as the 3rd party and potentially the official opposition. They too will have to assimilate a lot of new faces and talent. I don't think they will oppose Labour from either right or left, but rather with a critical appraisal of legislation that is too top down and neglectful of rural Britain. Ed Davey will be secure for 5 years.

Con: likely to go into a brutal post mortem followed by infighting over direction and appoint someone unable to modernise the party into an electable force. A decade or longer in the wilderness beckons.

Reform: likely to have its first MPs, but only a handful with those dogged by unsavory past comments. Farage will be bored by Parliament very quickly, and spend most of his time propping up the bar, with little time in either Commons or Clacton. Will remain a thorn in the side of the Tories.

SNP: back to where they were in 2014 in MP numbers. Looking nervous about losing Holyrood to Labour in the next Scottish GE.

Greens, will become the home of the Corbynite left, with increasing support as the only real left wing opponents of centrist economics.

• Options
    Operation wetuburung
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,480
    pigeon said:

Andy_JS said:

An astonishing storm. But this ain't cricket, so the match will be completed eventually, as opposed to India being declared the winners.
    God was probably aiming at the AfD congress in Essen
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

pigeon said:

Again.

Thing is, we actually have a 63 year old white man called Ian who drives about posting pictures of his dog on PB. And he's a LD.

Oh, yeah.. see your point.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,730

David Axelrod
    @davidaxelrod

Reality check:
    @JoeBiden is the nominee of the Democratic Party, nominated by voters in primaries across the country. Unless the
    @POTUS, himself, decides to quit--which he won't--that issue is settled.
    The discussion that is going on now was timely a year ago, when few wanted to have it.
    It's largely irrelevant today.

====

So Trump 2.0 is nailed on.
  • Options

David Axelrod
    @davidaxelrod

Reality check:
    @JoeBiden is the nominee of the Democratic Party, nominated by voters in primaries across the country. Unless the
    The discussion that is going on now was timely a year ago, when few wanted to have it.

====

It also means he's cracking value for the Nom, though.
  • Options
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Wow.

I’m no Trumpite so please shut the fuck up with this shit
    Shouldn't you be telling him that?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,610

Dura_Ace said:

pigeon said:

Again.

Thing is, we actually have a 63 year old white man called Ian who drives about posting pictures of his dog on PB. And he's a LD.

Oh, yeah.. see your point.
    IanB's dog is great - he always looks so happily exhausted.
  • Options

David Axelrod
    @davidaxelrod

Reality check:

====

This is where American stubbornness isn't a strength.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,463
    VOODOO POLL ALERT!

Here is what Rail Forum posters think of the Tories' chances:

View results: How many seats with the Tories win?
    0-50
    Votes: 3 2.6%
    50-75
    Votes: 12 10.4%
    75-100
    Votes: 33 28.7%
    100-125
    125-150
    Votes: 23 20.0%
    150-200
    Votes: 11 9.6%
    Over 200
    Votes: 0 0.0%
    Total voters 115
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nah. Fight everyone like a cornered dog.

Then get pissed.

All good.
  • Options

VOODOO POLL ALERT!

0-50
    50-75
    75-100
    100-125
    125-150
    150-200
    Over 200
    Total voters 115

Is that what Sunil's fellow chemists would call a train reaction?
  • Options

What's the Danish for Götterdämmerung?
  • Options

Voting Conservative will give your wife bigger breasts and increase your chances of owning a BMW.
    BMW M3!

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,463

Scott_xP said:

@OpiniumResearch

🚨 New polling with
    @ObserverUK

· Labour 40% (n/c)
    · Reform 17% (+1)
    · Lib Dems 13% (n/c)
    · Greens 6% (-3)
    · SNP 3% (n/c)

Hamas fans please explain.
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 699

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Lord Palmerston.
    Bloody hell

You look at Angelagate. Then you look at Mone and Greensill. What's that, 6 OOM different? And the difference is male sex, shiny forehead, Eton.

I am cleverer than Cameron and posher and went to an older and more expensive school than he did, but I am done.. This country needs its Bastille storming asap.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

pigeon said:

Again.

Evening DA, hope you've recovered from the rigours of your trip to the East.

Can imagine it must have been painful, driving a Volkswagen.
    It was a bit tiring but otherwise fine. If I had to do it again, I'd fly to Gomel via Moscow and enter from Belarus for a much shorter drive. Until I went there I hadn't realised how much normal cross border traffic between Ukraine and Belarus (and Russia) is still going on as if nothing were happening. The SMO is not evenly distributed; there are scenes of full fat mechanised slaughter going on and then 100km further along the borders civvies are driving back and forward with no fucks given by anyone on either side.

The Mk3 TDI is a great long distance car because, given a plentiful supply of piss jugs and salted cashews, I only needed to stop every 900km for fuel. I selected it carefully because I knew of the immense range of that 1.9 TDI from driving a B5 Passat. I have been somewhat of a VW scene kid since I was a teenager and am still dailying a Mk7 Clubsport that was a Copart write off.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,542

Lol. Your antennae are rather suspect pal.

Anyone remember the 'meat tax'? No?

@Casino_Royale
    This has definitely cut through.
    It was all anyone was talking about at work today.

Or how about Sunak's retreat from D-Day:

@Casino_Royale
    Absolutely no-one cares about this and it will have zero impact on the campaign or the GE result.
  • Options
    edited June 29
    ydoethur said:

VOODOO POLL ALERT!

0-50
    50-75
    75-100
    100-125
    125-150
    150-200
    Over 200
    Total voters 115

Disclaimer - I left Warwick nearly 6 years ago :)
  • Options

VOODOO POLL ALERT!

0-50
    50-75
    75-100
    100-125
    125-150
    150-200
    Over 200
    Total voters 115

Choo choo voodoo poll.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,841
    @kateferguson4

EXCL: The ex Reform activist who made a racist slur about Rishi Sunak in another hate storm.

He posted TikTok video hailing Nigel Farage's decision to stand & slamming "Third World filth".

Reform says the man is an actor and they were part of a set up

https://x.com/kateferguson4/status/1807141685895594330
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@OpiniumResearch

🚨 New polling with
    @ObserverUK

· Labour 40% (n/c)
    · Reform 17% (+1)
    · Lib Dems 13% (n/c)
    · Greens 6% (-3)
    · SNP 3% (n/c)

Hamas fans please explain.
    Obviously 11% of Green voters have decided to go over to Nigel's lot, it's the logical explanation
  • Options
    edited June 29
    I see that Solhull MP until a few weeks ago, Julian Knight, is standing as an indy. Funny if the Tories lose what used to be one of their safest seats in the country by say 250 votes, and Knight gets 500.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

VOODOO POLL ALERT!

0-50
    50-75
    75-100
    100-125
    125-150
    150-200
    Over 200
    Total voters 115

The delays on the WCML really are something, aren't they?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,417
    Andy_JS said:

What's the Danish for Götterdämmerung?
    And which bit of the pitch is called the Danevirke?
  • Options

BMW M3!

Goons car. Aggressive lot. Nurburgring best place for it rolled over in the woods.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

pigeon said:

Again.

You really have no idea what is happening with Gen Z
  • Options

BMW M3!

E36 > E90 > E46 > F80 > E30 > G80

That's your M3 tier list.
  • Options

Leon said:

Nah. Fight everyone like a cornered dog.

Then get pissed.
    But not necessarily in that order.
  • Options
    edited June 29
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

pigeon said:

Again.

You really have no idea what is happening with Gen Z
    Enlighten us Leon? :D
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,417
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

VOODOO POLL ALERT!

0-50
    50-75
    75-100
    100-125
    125-150
    150-200
    Over 200
    Total voters 115

The delays on the WCML really are something, aren't they?
    Yes, but he got a ticket by way of Kyle of Lochalsh, Thanet Parkway and Rheidol Falls.
  • Options
    Clutch_BromptonClutch_Brompton Posts: 629
    edited June 29
    a

Lol. Your antennae are rather suspect pal.

Anyone remember the 'meat tax'? No?

@Casino_Royale
    This has definitely cut through.
    It was all anyone was talking about at work today.

Or how about Sunak's retreat from D-Day:

@Casino_Royale
    Absolutely no-one cares about this and it will have zero impact on the campaign or the GE result.
    Oh no - holding us to account for stupid things we have posted is a horrible precedent on this board. Who will be safe!!!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Lord Palmerston.
    Bloody hell

You look at Angelagate. Then you look at Mone and Greensill. What's that, 6 OOM different? And the difference is male sex, shiny forehead, Eton.

I am cleverer than Cameron and posher and went to an older and more expensive school than he did, but I am done.. This country needs its Bastille storming asap.
    I am cleverer AND posher than anyone on here and I hope the Tories DIE DIE DIE

Lord David Duke of Brexit Cameron is a primary reason why
This discussion has been closed.