Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Carthago Delenda Est – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,047
edited July 4 in General
imageCarthago Delenda Est – politicalbetting.com

A General Election is supposed to answer the question of who runs the country, but we already have the answer for July 4th 2024: it will be Labour running the country. From their side, the only outstanding answer required is whether they have a big majority, or a very big majority. Or even a VERY very big majority.From the other side, there are other and more interesting questions: what kind of a result will the Conservatives get? And what will happen to the Conservative party in the aftermath of the election?

Read the full story here

Comments

• TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    Tend to agree
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    edited June 15
    Hey @Morris_Dancer

I am happy to educate you on this whole Carthago delenda est part of history as I know you really struggle with this particular part of history.

Don't be afraid to reach out.
  • DoubleDutchDoubleDutch Posts: 161
    edited June 15
    By the way, the best result for Labour is probably an anaemic but not fatal Conservative result. 100-150 or even 150-200 seats would do the job nicely. Which would also mean little or no oxygen for Farage, especially under our voting system, which the British people voted to retain in 2011 in a referendum.

Nothing too dramatic or radical, but enough to leave them squabbling and in opposition for 10 yrs +
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,568
    Fourth, like the Tories?
  • johntjohnt Posts: 166
    Agreed. Only the destruction of the Tory party leaves the country able to look to a new future. The Tory party represents the failure of the past. Its ’broad church’ needs to be split apart so that the centre and the right can realign around new forces in the country. Once that happens the Labour Party will probably follow suit and we will get a more representative and successful democracy.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Eagles, how could you be a teacher of history when you aren't even a student?

As an aside, it's ironic Carthage recovered and, as an Exarchate of the Eastern Roman Empire rescued it from Flavius Phocas and Chosroes.
    For those who say People always predict this but it always survives, the answer is, look at actual people. They quite often last much longer than predicted, with quite a few false alarms along the way, but entropy invariably triumphs. The conservatives were the party of the countryside and the c of E and private education. All that is on its way out, and the party with it
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,648
    Destroyed.

Yes.
  • DoubleDutchDoubleDutch Posts: 161
    edited June 15
    And on that subject of voting reform, I note that some of the same people who state that Brexit and Indyref were once-in-a-lifetime referenda and cannot be re-opened are, hypocritically, suddenly all in favour of voting reform.

Neatly ignoring the fact that in 2011 the British people were offered, and decisively rejected, a reform of our electoral system: more decisively indeed than either Brexit or Indyref (68%-32%).

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Eagles, how could you be a teacher of history when you aren't even a student?

As an aside, it's ironic Carthage recovered and, as an Exarchate of the Eastern Roman Empire rescued it from Flavius Phocas and Chosroes.

And as Tunisia is busy pumping refugees into Italy it's not yet clear who actually wins long term.

I am going to Algeria in October to look at roman ruins, will investigate popping over the border. Still lots to see of Carthage.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,368
    edited June 15
    Another campaign day, another load of rubbish about the death of the Tory party and sensationalist Farage hype. I know the press have to sell tomorrow’s chip wrap, but it’s all a bit silly. We know mid campaign polls can be bollocks, so why do folk get obsessed by them.

Whilst not impossible, I severely doubt any of the hyped outcomes.

Farage is not leader of the opposition and will continue to struggle to win a seat.
    There will be a Lib Dem recovery in parts of the south and west.
    Labour will vastly impose on 2019 and will have achieved an amazing result to get a majority of one. Today it looks like they will get a majority, but it will be far smaller than the polls suggest.

Never underestimate the Tories, their vote will turn out and even if they do badly their seat count will be nearer 200 than 100.

If the Conservatives return to a focus on the economy and pragmatism over ideology they'll return to success, sooner or later.

If they ape I Can't Believe It's Not UKIP they'll get a merger at best, and will perhaps end up being devoured.

Those giddy about the potential demise of the Conservatives should remember this isn't the USSR. There are plenty of people who want a party on the right. The Conservatives, in the past and perhaps the future, combined this with an ability to appeal to centrist voters. Reform or what follows it is unlikely to do so.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    Sean_F said:

Nigel Farage would agree with this header.

I doubt he’d agree with being called far right.
    Mr. Dutch, point of order: not sure anyone claimed the Scottish vote was once in a lifetime. It was the SNP themselves who said once in a generation.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,864
    Good morning all. I am posting the below as a reminder of how the polls have actually moved over the past 3 weeks...

Labour and Conservative support now falling to the benefit of Reform UK and the Lib Dems.

LAB: 41.7% (-3.0 / +8.7)
    CON: 21.2% (-2.3 / -23.5)
    RFM: 14.9% (+2.9 / +12.8)
    LDM: 10.7% (+1.4 / -1.1)
    GRN: 6.1% (±0.0 / +3.3)

Changes since (Start of campaign / GE2019).
    electionmaps.uk/polling

I don't really understand this article but thank you for it nonetheless @jamesdoyle

Everything about it is correct and excellent except the conclusion. Why should the Conservative Party need to be destroyed? That makes no sense to me.

"All" it needs to do is to return to the centre, which eventually it will do. Why should they give up on that place that they once owned?

I've been around the block enough to have heard all this before in the 1980's with Labour and the late 1990's with the Conservatives.

History repeats itself. Has to. No-one listens.

Liberal party 1924

Dying Relative Fallacy. "Great Uncle John is on the point of death." "Oh don't worry about that, the doctors are always saying that but he always pulls through."

I don't really understand this article but thank you for it nonetheless @jamesdoyle

Everything about it is correct and excellent except the conclusion. Why should the Conservative Party need to be destroyed? That makes no sense to me.

"All" it needs to do is to return to the centre, which eventually it will do. Why should they give up on that place that they once owned?

I've been around the block enough to have heard all this before in the 1980's with Labour and the late 1990's with the Conservatives.

I think maybe that is the point. Has ‘history repeating itself’, been good for the U.K.? Many would feel that the UK has gone backwards over the last 80 years, under a two party system which has repeatedly delivered the same mistakes. Having lost the Tories will pretend to go back to the centre only for the right to reappear if they ever get back into power.
    If we want to move forward the system needs to be broken and that requires the destruction of one, and then probably both, of the old parties. That should enable a more open, honest and representative democracy.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,746

Hey @Morris_Dancer

I am happy to educate you on this whole Carthago delenda est part of history as I know you really struggle with this particular part of history.

Don't be afraid to reach out.

Scipio FTW.
    I'm voting Labour now.

My thoughts on kicking out elderly peers. Will ⁦@UKLabour go for the monarchy next?

Why King Charles should fear Starmer’s ageist plan for the House of Lords

The Labour leader’s plan to force peers to retire at 80 is a worrying sign of his attitude towards the elderly

https://x.com/danielmgmoylan/status/1801868634936996093
    edited June 15

And on that subject of voting reform, I note that some of the same people who state that Brexit and Indyref were once-in-a-lifetime referenda and cannot be re-opened are, hypocritically, suddenly all in favour of voting reform.

Neatly ignoring the fact that in 2011 the British people were offered, and decisively rejected, a reform of our electoral system: more decisively indeed than either Brexit or Indyref (68%-32%).

It was offering merely a minor tweak, not the full blown reform that is so badly needed.
    edited June 15

Good morning, everyone.

I wave my A in A-Level History in your general direction.

This was when A-Levels were difficult.
    PCP Canada defeated 1993 dissolved 2003
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481
    Jonathan said:

Another campaign day, another load of rubbish about the death of the Tory party and sensationalist Farage hype. I know the press have to sell tomorrow’s chip wrap, but it’s all a bit silly. We know mid campaign polls can be bollocks, so why do folk get obsessed by them.

Farage is not leader of the opposition and will continue to struggle to win a seat.
    Labour will vastly impose on 2019 and will have achieved an amazing result to get a majority of one. Today it looks like they will get a majority, but it will be far smaller than the polls suggest.

Never underestimate the Tories, their vote will turn out and even if they do badly their seat count will be nearer 200 than 100.

I think you will be eating your words on July 5th - the Tory vote protest by simply not going out and voting.

So expect a low (ish) turnout and hideous Tory results…
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    The media just love a good Farage story, basically.

Any excuse to get the man in front of the cameras and they’ll leap at it. They have the same excitement-bias that several posters here (including me sometimes) share.

Destroyed.

Yes.

Hopefully you will do your bit and beat the Douglas Ross…
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,444
    edited June 15
    An interesting header that I enjoyed reading.

I would suggest that a more important factor than the Tory brand survival is the question of who leads the British Right?

In a lot of countries that have seen right-wing political success, that has involved a generational change where younger female leadership has replaced older male leadership. Meloni, Le Pen, but you could also add Mary Lou for SF, if you consider extremist parties with large negatives. A similar thing with the far-right in Netherlands, which I believe is a bit more modern and dropped bashing the gays, for example.

Farage has very high negatives, and likely acts as a blocker to the right-beyond-the-traditional-mainstream-right (aka the far-right) achieving enough success to lead a government. If there were to be a younger, possibly female leader, who didn't have all of Farage's baggage, then I think that could take the British far-right a long way, even without the help of the Tory brand.
    "If this were a company, it would be a long-established, blue chip, FTSE 100 firm..."

Just like ICI.

I get the idea of James' header - we don't want a Faragist party to be able to use the Conservative brand to gain more support from the politically unengaged. Make them stick with their existing branding, a new centre-right outfit become established with a new name (suggestions on a postcard), and the Conservative name disappear into history.

I'm voting Labour now.

My thoughts on kicking out elderly peers. Will ⁦@UKLabour go for the monarchy next?

The Labour leader’s plan to force peers to retire at 80 is a worrying sign of his attitude towards the elderly

Going to queer his special relationship with either of the likely POTUSes he's going to be dealing with

This election is going to throw out a result so distorted that the pressure for electoral reform will be unstoppable. Nor do we need a referendum - the Tories did one of those to place their LibDem partners who wanted neither a referendum nor the system proposed in it.
    eek said:

Jonathan said:

I think you will be eating your words on July 5th - the Tory vote protest by simply not going out and voting.

Maybe, but my point is that if my hypothetical scenario comes to pass it would still be a radical change. We don’t need Baxtered hype and polls are only one source of data.

• TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    eek said:

Jonathan said:

That bit’s quite possible, though I still expect a decent pull back on the day. It’s the non-sequitur that follows that stretches things too far: that the Tory party is therefore doomed and the 1-seat Reform party polling in the mid teens will assume its crown.

Same has been said of Foot’s Labour in 1983, Labour in 2010 during the Cleggasm, even the Tories in 2019 after the Euros.
    TimS said:

Good morning. Off to a university open day with my eldest today.

I’ll use my daily picture to show you something encouraging from this morning’s GFS weather model run.

Meteorologico improva est (trans. things can only get better)

33C? Time to head to the coast.
  • prh47bridgeprh47bridge Posts: 450
    Couldn't disagree more with the header.

Yes, the Conservatives are likely to move to the right after losing, just as Labour tend to move to the left when they leave government. Both parties eventually move back towards the centre as, despite the beliefs of their more extreme supporters, that is where elections are won and lost. Destruction of the Conservative party opens the way for Reform to take over as the party of the right. Far better for the Conservatives to remain the party of the right. If they don't, in my view we could see a situation similar to the USA with centre-right voters holding their noses and voting for Farage because they don't want the alternative.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077

Liberal party 1924

Dying Relative Fallacy. "Great Uncle John is on the point of death." "Oh don't worry about that, the doctors are always saying that but he always pulls through."
    Erm, to be fair to DD there’s a bit of a difference with your example. A human being dies. We all do. It’s a living being that atrophies. We are mortal.

A political party is not a sentient being.

So the ‘Dying Relative Fallacy’ is a nonsensical example to use.
  • not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,388
    TimS said:

Any excuse to get the man in front of the cameras and they’ll leap at it. They have the same excitement-bias that several posters here (including me sometimes) share.

Basically the same irresponsible attitude the media took with Trump
  • jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 775
    James_M said:

Interesting article, thanks for it. I must admit though I don't fully understand the conclusion. For me, as a Conservative member, our best hope of returning to the centre-right is to have enough MPs to be able to push back against narratives of mergers with Reform. There is enough in the brand, party infrastructure and wider party community to facilitate that movement over time. In part that more centrist element needs to have more confidence to push back against Farage. Destroying the Conservative Party is surely more likely to allow Reform to thrive given their prominent leader?

I agree that if the Cons do well enough to avoid a merger, that would work. But I think that a) doing that well is beyond them and b) there are too many voices already promoting the merger. In which case handing.Farage the brand in a useable state would be too dangerous. Hence the need for it to be Ratnered.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,999
    No the Conservative party must not be destroyed because if it is destroyed ie not just getting less than 100 seats but falling behind Reform on seats as well as voteshare, then the LD author of this piece will get exactly what he didn't want. It will be a hard right nationalist party led by Farage that would replace the Tories under FPTP not some new moderate centre right party. Indeed only PR might allow a rump Tories to still win a few seats at all in such a scenario

Indeed even the LDs don't seem to be interested in offering that. The LD manifesto after all was closer to Charles Kennedy social democracy than Nick Clegg Orange Book of the Coalition era when the LDs and Cameron Tories were the moderate centre right in the UK.

• RichardrRichardr Posts: 94

This election is going to throw out a result so distorted that the pressure for electoral reform will be unstoppable. Nor do we need a referendum - the Tories did one of those to place their LibDem partners who wanted neither a referendum nor the system proposed in it.
    A couple of points on this.

1 are the Conservatives really going to u-turn on this?
    2 voting share in first past the post elections isn't necessarily indicative of wishes. The Lib Dems for example don't want national vote share, they want concentrated support in a few seats. Also compare the voting in London between the supplementary vote previously and this year's first past the post.
    IanB2 said:

It was offering merely a minor tweak, not the full blown reform that is so badly needed.
    I earnestly hope there is no reform of the voting system. We do NOT need to be giving undue power in Government to minority fringe groups like Farage’s Far Right Reform.

He (she?) is correct. We were offered a chance to change it and we said ‘nope’.

This is the system and all the new converts suddenly wanting to change it are only doing so because they don’t like the way results are heading.
    eek said:

Jonathan said:

People are wise to project fear, nowadays, and if the Tories try to promise anything eye-catching, people just laugh.
  • Big_IanBig_Ian Posts: 67

It is a very interesting position. I think the thesis is fundamentally wrong as if the Conservative brand went, something much nastier, more resemblent of secular Paisleyism would take it's place in time.

Part of the problem is that "far-right" is grossly overused and used as a smear against anyone who disagrees with the current "mainstream" political consensus.

For example, a party proposing the return of the death penalty for murderers of children within the rule of law and judicial process with all it's safeguards is *not* far right, A party proposing the death penalty of its opponents using bills of attainder or applying it to trivial offences like "walking on the cracks of the pavement while wearing a loud shirt" is far right.

By smearing right wing views (views that were mainstream in democratic 1950s Britain) as far right, you smear those with those views.

Demonise enough people as far right and you risk someone actually far right getting power as you make the far right taboo (and voting for it) meaningless.

So be careful what you wish for.

I agree. I think the Conservative brand is more likely to pull whatever fills the vacuum toward the centre right than the far right.
    Jonathan said:

It is a scenario! The death of the UK polling industry where every pollster including the ones employed by parties for private polls get it completely wrong.

It goes beyond polling - parties also have canvass returns to guide them. In your scenario the Tories are doing MUCH better than the headlines suggest. And yet when we look at what the Tories are doing, it demonstrates that if anything the polls aren't showing enough of a rout.

If Tory last time voters were Tory this time, we would know. Tory activists are knocking doors and making calls. That data gets fed into their model alongside their own polling. And sets the direction for the campaign.

Sunak is being sent in to defend True Blue seats with 20k majorities. Ministers are pushing lines to not give Labour a super majority. Are saying its OK to put Farage on Tory leaflets. Are desperately pitching to their core vote.

They would not be doing any of those things if your scenario was in play. There could be an abrupt plot twist - at the last a few million decide to vote Tory after all. But that is hopium. It isn't rooted in reality.

So it could happen. It just very certainly won't.
    Sandpit said:

Sir Alan Bates learned of his knighthood while watching Paula Vennells at the PO inquiry.

He had refused an honour last year because Vennells still had her CBE, but now that has been stripped from her he’s accepting a Knighthood on behalf of all the other sub-postmasters affected by the scandal.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/06/14/alan-bates-knight-paula-vennells-post-office-boss-horizon/

Good man, congratulations.

He should have been given a peerage.

He could have used parliamentary privilege to name and shame so many.
    And all the talk of ‘soft Labour’ are completely ignoring the fact that many, many, people like myself are voting tactically.

I’m Labour leaning but I will vote LibDem. So a pollster would chalk me up as one of those drops in Labour support. It’s not that. It’s because I know that primary aim of booting out the sitting tory MP means I need to vote LibDem.
  • jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 775

Sorry, I may not have been clear on my intent.
    I don't think it is inevitable that the Tory party be destroyed or disappear - but I think that when it is performing this poorly, and the idea of a merger is being pushed by many (not all) on the right, we need to actively seek its destruction so that it is not a weapon that is useable by the far right to enter the mainstream
    HYUFD said:

No the Conservative party must not be destroyed because if it is destroyed ie not just getting less than 100 seats but falling behind Reform on seats as well as voteshare, then the LD author of this piece will get exactly what he didn't want. It will be a hard right nationalist party led by Farage that would replace the Tories under FPTP not some new moderate centre right party. Indeed only PR might allow a rump Tories to still win a few seats at all in such a scenario

Indeed even the LDs don't seem to be interested in offering that. The LD manifesto after all was closer to Charles Kennedy social democracy than Nick Clegg Orange Book of the Coalition era when the LDs and Cameron Tories were the moderate centre right in the UK.

In short, your view is that the main value of the Conservative Party is acting as a brake on the right.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358

By smearing right wing views (views that were mainstream in democratic 1950s Britain) as far right, you smear those with those views.

There are lots of views that were mainstream in democratic 1950s Britain that have no place today

There were lots of views that were mainstream in democratic 1930s Germany that are also not welcome today

Assigning a label to people who hold such views is not a smear
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,999

I'm voting Labour now.

No, Starmer has made clear he backs a reformed monarchy, he is not now a republican like Corbyn was.

However that might mean King William sooner than expected if he doesn't want over 80s still working. Not sure how he tells President Biden or Trump?
  • Jonathan said:

Another campaign day, another load of rubbish about the death of the Tory party and sensationalist Farage hype.

It is a very valid point that for Labour to get a majority of one with the new electoral boundaries, they need a swing almost as big as Blair got in 1997.

They will be just as concerned about Farage as CCHQ.

Unfortunately their first tweet attacking Farage yesterday, saying he would end the NHS as we know it (he favours a French style insurance system) rather blew up in their face. People don't want a US type system but recognise that pouring money into an institution resembling a soviet tractor corporation top heavy, hidebound with bureaucracy and archaic practices, cannot go on.

This is nonsense.

Even if Labour polled as low as 35%, they did that in 2005. This is the system and it works.

There will be no ‘unstoppable’ pressure for anything of the sort. A stonking Labour majority will have many other things to address. And the excitable chatter of a few political nerds on a minor betting forum will have no relevance.
  • TimS said:

Good morning. Off to a university open day with my eldest today.

I’ll use my daily picture to show you something encouraging from this morning’s GFS weather model run.

Meteorologico improva est (trans. things can only get better)

Schorchio
    Heathener said:

Liberal party 1924

Erm, to be fair to DD there’s a bit of a difference with your example. A human being dies. We all do. It’s a living being that atrophies. We are mortal.

A political party is not a sentient being.

So the ‘Dying Relative Fallacy’ is a nonsensical example to use.
    Because, what, the second law of thermodynamics only applies to mammals?

Silly me, I was construing it rather more broadly.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759
    It could happen. Major parties do die (the Whigs, the old Liberals, the Italian Christian Democrats, the French Radicals, the Zentrum, the Union Nationale, the Progressive Conservatives), because they stop speaking for any big section of the electorate.

But, the blocs of voters remain.
    Jonathan said:

eek said:

Jonathan said:

Maybe, but my point is that if my hypothetical scenario comes to pass it would still be a radical change. We don’t need Baxtered hype and polls are only one source of data.

We don't have 1 source of data - every poll is showing the same thing. the fact Rishi and co are compaigning in what were utterly safe Tory seats is another source of data

Literally everything says the Tories are having a far worse campaign than even I was expecting them to have when the election was called.
    HYUFD said:

What it would require is a "Gang of Four" moment, with several moderate Tory big beasts announcing that they refuse to be part of the new merged party, and that they were setting up a new, moderate, One-Nation party of the centre right. Grow from there, push the Faragists out to the fringe and job's a good 'un.

Actually, that's the name for the new party: One Nation.
    Heathener said:

IanB2 said:

I earnestly hope there is no reform of the voting system. We do NOT need to be giving undue power in Government to minority fringe groups like Farage’s Far Right Reform.

This is the system and all the new converts suddenly wanting to change it are only doing so because they don’t like the way results are heading.
    Coalition government most often neutralises small fringe parties and then destroys them - though obviously this is dependent on how the electorate responds.

FPTP allows an extremist takeover of one side, or both, trapping centrist voters into voting for the extreme. See Trump, Johnson/Corbyn, Foot, etc.

Jonathan said:

It is a scenario! The death of the UK polling industry where every pollster including the ones employed by parties for private polls get it completely wrong.

It goes beyond polling - parties also have canvass returns to guide them. In your scenario the Tories are doing MUCH better than the headlines suggest. And yet when we look at what the Tories are doing, it demonstrates that if anything the polls aren't showing enough of a rout.

If Tory last time voters were Tory this time, we would know. Tory activists are knocking doors and making calls. That data gets fed into their model alongside their own polling. And sets the direction for the campaign.

Sunak is being sent in to defend True Blue seats with 20k majorities. Ministers are pushing lines to not give Labour a super majority. Are saying its OK to put Farage on Tory leaflets. Are desperately pitching to their core vote.

They would not be doing any of those things if your scenario was in play. There could be an abrupt plot twist - at the last a few million decide to vote Tory after all. But that is hopium. It isn't rooted in reality.

So it could happen. It just very certainly won't.
    My point is that a 150-200 seat outcome for Labour or Conservative is traditionally a very bad result. You don’t need the hype of the last few days to still have a monumentally bad result.

Having spent the last few decades, I’ve learned that Tory voters turn out on election day and should not be underestimated.

I would be delighted if that were not the case. The Tories will do badly, but I would be surprised if the result lives up to the hype.
    HYUFD said:

Breathe. Don't frantically type as fast as you think.

This election - like every election - is about what *the voters* want. If they vote for Farage they should get Farage. The job of other parties is to politically defeat Faragism, not to rig the system so that Faragism bubbles away below the surface.

If your party gets smashed in a few weeks time its because the voters are so utterly appalled by you. The only people to blame will be yourselves.
    HYUFD said:

So the Tory party must not be destroyed, otherwise people might get what they vote for? I do wonder why the Tory party seems to feel they know better than the electorate?
    The current policy of allowing the far right to drag the Tories to the right does not seem to have worked out well for the country. So why not allow the far right to stand on its own, and if it does well the electorate will need to accept the consequences. It’s called democracy.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,068
    Not wounded, or defeated, but utterly destroyed. Leave no electoral stone standing one on another, salt the earth and plough it under, chisel the inscriptions from the plinths of their toppled monuments. The Conservative Party must be destroyed.

That's pretty much what the Romans did to Jerusalem, particularly the Temple area in 70CE. Seemed to do the trick. I wonder how that project is getting on these days?
    eek said:

Jonathan said:

eek said:

Jonathan said:

We don't have 1 source of data - every poll is showing the same thing. the fact Rishi and co are compaigning in what were utterly safe Tory seats is another source of data

Literally everything says the Tories are having a far worse campaign than even I was expecting them to have when the election was called.
    In the 2010 campaign a couple of polls put Clegg first, he lost seats. Polls are not everything. Of course the Tories are doing badly. A 150-200 seat outcome would be a terrible result for them.
    edited June 15

From memory the 1997 Labour Manifesto had electoral reform included within it. Labour won such a majority that they didn't bother to implement it.

I'm not sure what's different this time that is going to make a party with a 200 seat majority wish to lose it next time round.

But at least we will have multiple AV threads to look forward to...
    Heathener said:

IanB2 said:

Yes, I want a Labour government. But I don't think we deserve 75% of the seats with 40% of the vote. I have always been in favour of PR. A parliament that reflects the votes cast. If it means a coalition with the LibDems, so be it, that's the democratic process.
    Jonathan said:

The gain in the Labour vote from 2019 is within the range of previous election results.

What is delivering the projected large majority is the collapse in the Tory vote. Just because one major party’s support hasn’t collapsed like that before, doesn’t mean that it cannot happen.

Indeed, arguably it has happened before, in 1983 for Labour, its just that Labour wasn’t in government at the time.

• geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528

Sandpit said:

Sir Alan Bates learned of his knighthood while watching Paula Vennells at the PO inquiry.

He had refused an honour last year because Vennells still had her CBE, but now that has been stripped from her he’s accepting a Knighthood on behalf of all the other sub-postmasters affected by the scandal.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/06/14/alan-bates-knight-paula-vennells-post-office-boss-horizon/

Better to name and shame without parliamentary privilege so the miscreants are goaded to sue and expose themselves to court scrutiny

• Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,016
    Good morning

For balance I disagree with the hope of the destruction of the conservative party not least because there is a place for a centre right party in our politics

I broke the story of Sunak debacle over DDay and am very angry to this day and I said I would vote Lib Dem in protest

With the postal votes about to arrive I told my wife, who said that nothing could bring her to vote for that 'Clown' Ed Davey after watching him foolng around on water and the role he played in the Post Office disgrace not least because she knows Alan Bates and was a customer at his post office here in Llandudno

She is not generally political, but we spoke about our votes and both agreed Sunak has failed and the conservatives are in a desperate state but far more worrying is the rise of Farage which horrifies us

To us it is important that the conservatives out poll Reform, and we have agreed that we will vote for the conservative candidate though it will have no effect on labour regaining the seat

I know Ed Davey and his antics are popular on here but certainly not reflected by my wife's opinion
    Heathener said:

This is nonsense.

Even if Labour polled as low as 35%, they did that in 2005. This is the system and it works.

There will be no ‘unstoppable’ pressure for anything of the sort. A stonking Labour majority will have many other things to address. And the excitable chatter of a few political nerds on a minor betting forum will have no relevance.
    The distortion isn't Labour polling 35% and winning a majority. It would be Labour polling 37% and winning a majority of 200. With millions and millions and millions of votes cast for the non-Labour parties and very few seats being landed.

You say "this is the system". Yes. As "the system" was apartheid. The Stazi. The fourth republic. Systems fall when they no longer appear to be fit for purpose. Most people will be delighted if the Tories get destroyed. But then not be happy with the result that is generated because it is so inherently unfair.
  • James_MJames_M Posts: 103
    @jamesdoyle thank you for engaging directly with posters. Your clarification helps (early in the morning for my brain!). I still disagree. I think the anti-reform element of the party is larger than alluded, especially at parliamentary level, and to destroy the party destroys them. I still believe that the media give Reform's rise too much credibility. Not enough people challenge Farage. Yes they are tapping in to a stream of opinion that the Conservatives must address, but the party is essentially a one man band, with limited infrastructure. Evidence of previous surges for outsider parties has suggested they fall back. The media love a narrative and Reform will do ok, but not, I suspect, as well as people think.
    geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

Better to name and shame without parliamentary privilege so the miscreants are goaded to sue and expose themselves to court scrutiny

I don't think there is much of a secret about any of this. The list of witnesses to the inquiry is public domain.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139

I'm voting Labour now.

If you look at what he's doing he's trying to exactly copy and replicate what Blair did, and is being advised accordingly.

Private Schools? End Assisted Places; impose VAT
    Hunting? Ban Fox Hunting; Ban Trail Hunting
    Lords? End Hereditaries; End Over 80s

He's following a very careful playbook. For now, at least.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    TimS said:

Farage is the new Johnson. A man who stirs the Tory juices with his anti-migrant rhetoric honed from years of media appearances.

He too is a narcisstic charlatan with a history of liking a drink and falling out with colleagues. He is not the answer to Tory woes.

A takeover by Reform would be history repeating itself as farce.

The Conservative Party can survive, and even regain power in a decade but there are no quick fixes or magic remedies for their ills. They need to be a party of sound finance again, and pro-business, and advocate for social freedoms as well as economic freedom.

Labour will eventually fail, not because its support is shallow or Starmer wooden, but because it is too centralised and statist in its solutions.

• ianian Posts: 23
    Is Farage Cato the Elder, misleading the Senate with his dubious arguments.
    , and undermining Scipio Africanus along the way? Is Starmer Aemelianus, destroying the city but weeping over it at the same time? SOo much to ponder. Isn't history fun!
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,626

Good morning, everyone.

I wave my A in A-Level History in your general direction.

This was when A-Levels were difficult.
    They can't have been *that* hard. Simon Case got one in the same year and he doesn't even know what a works meeting is.
    edited June 15

HYUFD said:

What it would require is a "Gang of Four" moment, with several moderate Tory big beasts announcing that they refuse to be part of the new merged party, and that they were setting up a new, moderate, One-Nation party of the centre right. Grow from there, push the Faragists out to the fringe and job's a good 'un.

For which one of them?

….One people, one leader?
    edited June 15
    Jonathan said:

eek said:

Jonathan said:

eek said:

Jonathan said:

In the 2010 campaign a couple of polls put Clegg first, he lost seats. Polls are not everything. Of course the Tories are doing badly. A 150-200 seat outcome would be a terrible result for them.
    Seats and polls are different areas - a national poll does not tell you how well you are going to do seat wise because a national poll of 5% has a different result if that 5% is spread equally across the country (no seats) rather than concentrated in 1 area (50 seats for the SNP is Scotland out of 59)...

Which is where Reform has problem because to win seats you need to get 30% or 40% (depending on how the votes get split) in an actual constituency and that's very difficult if you vote is broad and shallow rather than regional and deep..

Basically polls show trends they don't show actual results unless you have real in depth knowledge...

Good morning

For balance I disagree with the hope of the destruction of the conservative party not least because there is a place for a centre right party in our politics

I broke the story of Sunak debacle over DDay and am very angry to this day and I said I would vote Lib Dem in protest

With the postal votes about to arrive I told my wife, who said that nothing could bring her to vote for that 'Clown' Ed Davey after watching him foolng around on water and the role he played in the Post Office disgrace not least because she knows Alan Bates and was a customer at his post office here in Llandudno

She is not generally political, but we spoke about our votes and both agreed Sunak has failed and the conservatives are in a desperate state but far more worrying is the rise of Farage which horrifies us

To us it is important that the conservatives out poll Reform, and we have agreed that we will vote for the conservative candidate though it will have no effect on labour regaining the seat

I know Ed Davey and his antics are popular on here but certainly not reflected by my wife's opinion

☝️ this. They can crash the economy, disrespect veterans and HM m, raise taxes to their highest level and fail to deliver on every single promise and Tory voters will still find a way to vote for them.

There is literally nothing Sunak can do to lose some Tories vote.
  • Scott_xP said:

There are lots of views that were mainstream in democratic 1950s Britain that have no place today

Assigning a label to people who hold such views is not a smear
    Acceptable to whom precisely? Acceptable to a majority of the electorate or acceptable to a semi priestly group of "elders" who decide what is acceptable to offer to the electorate as a choice?

• HYUFD said:

Until they merge with the Liberal Democrats in fairly short order.
    edited June 15
    The problem with the header is that James doesn't really articulate *why* he puts forward the argument he does, or consider what the effect of such an outcome might be.

Essentially, it boils down to 'Green candidates hate Tories.' Which isn't exactly news.

Perhaps he could have taken that position and considered what might be the implications for 2029?
    edited June 15

Good morning

You’re now just a PB joke.

That’s the second election where you have spent weeks and weeks expressing your discontent with the Tories, claiming you won’t be voting for them, only when it comes to it, you vote for them anyway. Why do you insult us all with your nonsense?
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139

It is a very interesting position. I think the thesis is fundamentally wrong as if the Conservative brand went, something much nastier, more resemblent of secular Paisleyism would take it's place in time.

Part of the problem is that "far-right" is grossly overused and used as a smear against anyone who disagrees with the current "mainstream" political consensus.

For example, a party proposing the return of the death penalty for murderers of children within the rule of law and judicial process with all it's safeguards is *not* far right, A party proposing the death penalty of its opponents using bills of attainder or applying it to trivial offences like "walking on the cracks of the pavement while wearing a loud shirt" is far right.

Demonise enough people as far right and you risk someone actually far right getting power as you make the far right taboo (and voting for it) meaningless.

So be careful what you wish for.

Wise words.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,313
    edited June 15

I'm voting Labour now.

If you look at what he's doing he's trying to exactly copy and replicate what Blair did, and is being advised accordingly.

Private Schools? End Assisted Places; impose VAT
    Hunting? Ban Fox Hunting; Ban Trail Hunting
    Lords? End Hereditaries; End Over 80s

He's following a very careful playbook. For now, at least.
    Did I hear a rumour that Bad Al Campbell and Mandleson had been hanging around Labour HQ? Getting the band back together fron 1997.
    eek said:

Jonathan said:

eek said:

Jonathan said:

There's a piece on the Sky News website illustrating this very well. The Tories are trying to build a firebreak so far back that they are abandoning half of their forest.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420

geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

I don't think there is much of a secret about any of this. The list of witnesses to the inquiry is public domain.
    I have a far better honour for him.

CEO of the Post Office.

I would suggest to him that the Prosecution Department has a new target…
    TimS said:

As noted above, it's the same dynamic as Trump; they've learned nothing.

The other factor in play which hasn't been much remarked on is the protest vote; the 'who do I vote for to show my disgust with the state of affairs ?'

Until now that's worked almost wholly in favour of Labour; the disillusioned right of centre were as likely to not vote as any other option. RefUK achieving some sort of significance in the polls perhaps gives a stronger incentive for a positive protest in the election ?

HYUFD said:

Until they merge with the Liberal Democrats in fairly short order.
    Indeed. No Change there.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    edited June 15

Good morning

I always knew you would vote blue, despite misgivings. You and many others.

It's why I am not exiting my betting position (in the green on Con above 24% and 150+ seats)
    James_M said:

@jamesdoyle thank you for engaging directly with posters. Your clarification helps (early in the morning for my brain!). I still disagree. I think the anti-reform element of the party is larger than alluded, especially at parliamentary level, and to destroy the party destroys them. I still believe that the media give Reform's rise too much credibility. Not enough people challenge Farage. Yes they are tapping in to a stream of opinion that the Conservatives must address, but the party is essentially a one man band, with limited infrastructure. Evidence of previous surges for outsider parties has suggested they fall back. The media love a narrative and Reform will do ok, but not, I suspect, as well as people think.

Here is the problem with Farage - he is closer to reality than people want to accept. The NHS as one example. He wants to replace it with a French-style system which so many of us suspect would just be an open door to American insurance companies.

But the heart of his argument - too much money being spent in the wrong places. And that is true, not a million miles away from what Daisy Cooper was saying on the same stage.

The secret of the Nigel's success is that he takes complex issues (like the NHS) and cuts straight to the core issue which he clips, simplifies and packages into a form people who don't really know how it works can digest.

I vehemently dislike his politics. But you have to respect the craft. He is a significant political operator. The way to defeat Faragism isn't to cling on to a voting system which is about to effectively disenfranchise 6m people. Its to engage the argument and actually provide solutions. The endless decline of our communities and the sense of powerlessness is why he is a thing. Lets go and fix that.
  • James_MJames_M Posts: 103
    @Big_G_NorthWales Thanks for your post. The Conservatives need supporters like yourself and your wife. I'm voting blue in my Conservative- Lib Dem marginal in part and only in part as I want, in a small way, to try and keep my moderate Conservative MP for the post-election philosophical fight.
    eek said:

Jonathan said:

eek said:

Jonathan said:

eek said:

Jonathan said:

Seats and polls are different areas - a national poll does not tell you how well you are going to do seat wise because a national poll of 5% has a different result if that 5% is spread equally across the country (no seats) rather than concentrated in 1 area (50 seats for the SNP is Scotland out of 59)...

Which is where Reform has problem because to win seats you need to get 30% or 40% (depending on how the votes get split) in an actual constituency and that's very difficult if you vote is broad and shallow rather than regional and deep..
    My hypothesis is what people say to pollsters in the middle of an election campaign is not necessarily reflective of how they ultimately vote.

After D day, I am sure some would have been delighted to have opportunity to put the boot in, but as BigG so superbly demonstrates will vote Tory on the day.

I take polls with a pinch of salt and Baxter is just a bit of fun.

geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

I have a far better honour for him.

CEO of the Post Office.

I would suggest to him that the Prosecution Department has a new target…
    I doubt if he'd want it, unless he had carte blanche to replace absolutely any member of staff at any level.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528

geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

Naming and shaming behind parliamentary privilege is what I am objecting to

Interesting story from quarter of a century back:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cz99yr6dq41o
    In 1998, a Japanese man was stripped naked and left alone in an almost-empty apartment as part of a challenge for a reality TV show.
    Tomoaki Hamatsu, known as Nasubi, was left with only a pen, some blank postcards, a telephone and rack full of magazines.
    But he was not there to read. The concept of the show was to see if a human being could survive on competition prizes alone.
    In order to win the challenge, the value of the prizes he won had to reach a certain financial threshold - 1m yen, around £6,000 at the time.
    He would not emerge for 15 months, following a gradual descent into depression and mania, driven by hunger and isolation. Nearly three decades later, Nasubi's ordeal is being revisited as part of a new film that has just screened at the Sheffield Documentary Festival...
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,313
    Nigelb said:

TimS said:

As noted above, it's the same dynamic as Trump; they've learned nothing.

The other factor in play which hasn't been much remarked on is the protest vote; the 'who do I vote for to show my disgust with the state of affairs ?'

Until now that's worked almost wholly in favour of Labour; the disillusioned right of centre were as likely to not vote as any other option. RefUK achieving some sort of significance in the polls perhaps gives a stronger incentive for a positive protest in the election ?
    Which is why someone should have put up 650 deposits for Binface. At least it’s obvious who’s the protest vote, when there’s a man in a costume with a bin on his head walking around the town.

Yes the media are trying to build up Farage, in the same way as they built up Trump, and it’s free advertising for the shameless self-publicists.
This discussion has been closed.