Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Defining legacies – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,581
    edited June 13

algarkirk said:

Eabhal said:

algarkirk said:

Eabhal said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Eabhal said:

The key takehome from the D-Day debacle is that the vast majority of the electorate like to see britain along side neighbours and allies affirming its international commitment..... a britain at the heart of the western international community honouring that heritage.... basically the opposite of free wheeling go it alone brexiteerism. I saw Marr's piece in the New Statesman talking about rejoining the single market

"But the country has already changed its mind about his rotten Brexit deal, and there would be no opportunity like Labour’s first 18 months to improve relations with the giant market on our doorstep. As the EU grapples with the problem of enlargement to its east and populism at home, the notion of a more flexible, less monolithic EU of concentric or interlocking circles is growing in potency."

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/labour/2024/06/what-historic-labour-keir-starmer-win-mean-britain-election-andrew-marr

What I am looking for in Labour's manifesto is silence on the EU - that will (ironically) be a huge indicator to me where things are going. It will be a carte blance on EU trading relations and security agreements.

Sunak's actions on leaving the D-Day celebrations were very much a tacit expression of inward looking, isolationist ethos of the populist right, and its time has come.... I seriously think the country is turning a corner on brexit going into the next parliament.

Lol, this is an absolutely brilliant example of the genre: "What D-Day was really about is rejoining the single market".
    You've got to admire the creativity, the imagination, the insightful juxtaposition of two apparently unrelated topics ;-)

We Remainers are never going to go away.
    Not until you die off anyway.

There is nothing to "Remain" part of. You lost that war. We left the EU.

There is only Rejoin. And that is the dog that hasn't barked in this election. And if not this, then when?
    You're right about it not becoming a major issue in this election, but I think it provides a general sense of unease to politics in the UK.

By a ratio of at least 3:1, people think the negatives of Brexit outweigh the benefits. For Leavers, immigration is at an all time high - so it was pointless for many. There must be some regret or misgiving there. For Remainers, there is no hint that any party will bring us back in or materially improve our relationship with Europe, so it sits as an open wound.

It's not being spoken about, but I think it contributes to the doom and gloom.
    I think that is just a cipher for 'things were better before 2016' - which is understandable; the world was a surer place, no Ukraine, no pandemic, no culture wars (at least, not on the scale we see now), less immigration. Understandable people might wish things were otherwise. I'd happily swallow rejoin if it could mean we could wipe out all that other unpleasantness. But clearly, almost everything bad which has happened since 2016 is nothing to do with Brexit, and undoing Brexit wouldn't bring back those apples.
    That's just the way humans think. Change the thing we did and we can control and undo all those things we can't control.
    If we were still in the EU, today’s news headline would be that electric cars are about to get more expensive, the EU voting for protectionism over Net Zero.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/business-electric-vehicles/chinese-evs-be-hit-much-38-extra-eu-import-tax

Great for the campaigners who think cars are evil and we should all get the bus, for for the average motorist who just to get from A to B as cheaply as possible, not so much.
    Transportation was always a weakness in our climate change mitigation efforts - look at the massive fuss over the 2030 deadline for new ICE cars, even while other sectors of the economy made massive reductions in emissions. The Chinese have exploited the gap left by the lethargy and lobbying of European/American car makers.

It's darkly funny. When I was at Uni, there was all sorts of depressed talk about the industrialisation of China and India making climate change efforts basically pointless. Instead, the Chinese have flooded the market with cheap solar panels and cheap EVs to the extent that it's going to destroy fossil fuel industries in the West.
    Annual CO2 emissions are still rising. It is delusional to think that by 2050 this will be much different. Even if output is halved from present levels (the evidence that this can be done is absent), levels will only be rising but a little more slowly.

The rhetoric is all reminiscent of UK General Election rhetoric. A realistic truthful conversation would make a nice change.
    Climate change mitigation is not binary. It's not like there is a big climate change switch when we hit 2 degrees.

Most people working in this field know and accept that a huge amount of climate change damage is baked in. That's why we need to start discussing adaptation - flood defences, new pandemics, famine, mass migration.

But that doesn't mean the world should stop trying to prevent it being even worse - there is no sign of China abandoning solar or EVs, is there? The question for the UK is whether we want to embrace all this new technology or get left behind by the rest of the world.
    Agree. This discussion is obscured by Trumpian denialists and 'Just Stop Oil' fundamentalists. The 'amelioration' aspect is often ignored.
    Even if you don't agree with their methods, there's nothing particularly fundamentalist about JSO's demands. There is general scientific agreement that we need to rapidly reduce consumption of fossil fuels, and ceasing to issue new licences for oil exploration and production is broadly compatible with that aim. Amelioration to cope with the damage already in the pipeline is of course also required, but that's in addition to, not instead of, a sharp reduction in oil consumption.
    Perhaps you'd like to accompany me if I have to close a factory in Aberdeen in the second half of this year. Decent people will be put out of a job because of flawed government policies, and I don't see too many "green jobs" they can take round where they live.
    If I hear another idiot saying that they want "Green growth"... It apparently means growth without making anything, building anything. And it is free.

Changing technologies is massively disruptive for an industry - see Germany and American car makers. Who are stumbling.

The idea that this is free or painless is yet another populist, stupid delusion.

It is hard and expensive. And worth doing. Just decoupling our economy from the times that El Supremo has the hiccups and starts another war, and energy prices zoom up, it worth it. X recessions avoided.

Saving the planet is a nice side effect.

Further, in the longer term, as energy prices fall below fossil fuel energy prices, we have interesting opportunities.
    Indeed. Switching to a sustainable economy is both necessary and also a huge challenge. Those who paint it as something that can be done without too much bother or inconvenience risk scuppering the whole effort. It's like fighting a war. It's necessary, but it inevitably involves some sacrifice. Smart leadership would prepare people for the challenges ahead as well as ensuring that the burdens are shared fairly.
    The other thing is that the status quo is not an option. The energy transition away from fossil fuels is going to happen, and you don't want to be a laggard.
    Estimates suggest 20% of all the electricity generated in Ireland will go to keeping Data Centres functioning.

Why not close them ?
    Because they are useful and you can generate the electricity for them cleanly.
    Only way in the future, Ireland currently generates 52% of its energy from oil or coal. With a growing population and a noted lack of infrastructure investment, that will be the case for some time. Data centres will consume energy and there is no green backstop to feed them.

https://kpmg.com/ie/en/home/insights/2024/01/energy-outlook-2024-cge-eut.html
    Those problems will continue to exist whether there are data centres or not. I'd suggest fixing the problem.

I think the Green Party in government spent too much time/money on admirable improvements to public transport, and not enough on offshore wind and other energy infrastructure.
    And yet public transport in Ireland (outwith the cities) is abysmal.
    Public transport outside of cities is never going to be great, because the population densities are too low. But they are putting effort into introducing new services, both in cities and in rural areas.

There's a new bus service from Skibbereen to Killarney that seems to be popular, but I haven't tried it yet.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,571
    In 136 pages of manifesto Keir Starmer is included in at least 35 photos.

The title is change and the inside cover is the word change 200 times.

Subtle.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 4,048

algarkirk said:

Sean_F said:

ToryJim said:

NEW: NHS waiting lists for April UP slightly to 7.6 million

With 300,000 people now waiting longer than a year

Not good news for @RishiSunak - given how his record on waiting lists was already very difficult on last night’s @SkyNews debate

https://x.com/darrenmccaffrey/status/1801172232862892499?s=46

It’s like an exquisite form of Chinese water torture… drip drip drip

This really is the defining issue of the election. The UK's rapidly deteriorating health service directly and deeply affects large swathes of the electorate and is indicative of the general decline in services. It is a sign of a failed government.
    Or a failed health service.

There is £251bn of government spending on health this year with a NHS workforce of over two million.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45814459
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/publicsectorpersonnel/timeseries/c9lg/pse
    That's the thing. There's no shortage of resources for the NHS. The money must be spent appallingly inefficiently.
    The NHS is a long way down the law of diminishing returns path.

I have sympathy for those public services which have received genuine funding cuts but have still maintained acceptable performance levels.
    You never get an answer to the question: How much would be enough to fund the NHS?

It's like asking how fast to run on a treadmill to move forward.

It doesn't matter how much you spend it will never be enough.

Spend more, people stay alive longer, get more chronic illnesses, require more expenditure as a result. It's a never ending circle until people do die.
    If the NHS could spend shedloads more money on prevention and general health advice (diet, cutting out UPF, eat more plants, exercise, mental wellbeing) in the long run the population would be far healthier, happier and cost the NHS a lot less.
    Big Food, wouldn't like it, though.

Alternatively getting more up to diet science and stop pushing the myth of five plus fruit and veg a day and other failed medical advice that has led to ever expanding chronic disease and a surge in diabetes.

My dad spent decades as a vegetarian and ended up with diabetes as a result. Subsequently now no longer a vegetarian and works hard to cut down carbs but still afflicted with diabetes.

I'm not taking any chances of ending up with diabetes myself. I've spent seven months now on zero a day for plant-based products. Down 45 pounds as a result, blood tests are great and resting heart rate down by over 10 beats per minute.
    That's great for you. You should do whatever you feel is right, but it's scientific fact that there is no downside to including vegetables in your diet. It really isn't failed medical science.
    No, its not. There is a growing body of evidence that there is a downside to including carbs and vegetables in your diet. Especially exclusively/primarily doing so and not incorporating enough meats and proteins and fats.
    I think this is complicated because not all carbohydrates are the same, and the standard of research in this area is low.
    Yes, it is extremely hard to make the case for any specific nutritional mix, especially as we all seem to process food differently. The best general health advice seems to be to eat as wide a variety of foods as possible, in moderation, and to keep sugar and salt to a minimum.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 4,048

algarkirk said:

Eabhal said:

algarkirk said:

Eabhal said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Eabhal said:

The key takehome from the D-Day debacle is that the vast majority of the electorate like to see britain along side neighbours and allies affirming its international commitment..... a britain at the heart of the western international community honouring that heritage.... basically the opposite of free wheeling go it alone brexiteerism. I saw Marr's piece in the New Statesman talking about rejoining the single market

"But the country has already changed its mind about his rotten Brexit deal, and there would be no opportunity like Labour’s first 18 months to improve relations with the giant market on our doorstep. As the EU grapples with the problem of enlargement to its east and populism at home, the notion of a more flexible, less monolithic EU of concentric or interlocking circles is growing in potency."

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/labour/2024/06/what-historic-labour-keir-starmer-win-mean-britain-election-andrew-marr

What I am looking for in Labour's manifesto is silence on the EU - that will (ironically) be a huge indicator to me where things are going. It will be a carte blance on EU trading relations and security agreements.

Sunak's actions on leaving the D-Day celebrations were very much a tacit expression of inward looking, isolationist ethos of the populist right, and its time has come.... I seriously think the country is turning a corner on brexit going into the next parliament.

Lol, this is an absolutely brilliant example of the genre: "What D-Day was really about is rejoining the single market".
    You've got to admire the creativity, the imagination, the insightful juxtaposition of two apparently unrelated topics ;-)

There is only Rejoin. And that is the dog that hasn't barked in this election. And if not this, then when?
    You're right about it not becoming a major issue in this election, but I think it provides a general sense of unease to politics in the UK.

By a ratio of at least 3:1, people think the negatives of Brexit outweigh the benefits. For Leavers, immigration is at an all time high - so it was pointless for many. There must be some regret or misgiving there. For Remainers, there is no hint that any party will bring us back in or materially improve our relationship with Europe, so it sits as an open wound.

I think that is just a cipher for 'things were better before 2016' - which is understandable; the world was a surer place, no Ukraine, no pandemic, no culture wars (at least, not on the scale we see now), less immigration. Understandable people might wish things were otherwise. I'd happily swallow rejoin if it could mean we could wipe out all that other unpleasantness. But clearly, almost everything bad which has happened since 2016 is nothing to do with Brexit, and undoing Brexit wouldn't bring back those apples.
    That's just the way humans think. Change the thing we did and we can control and undo all those things we can't control.
    If we were still in the EU, today’s news headline would be that electric cars are about to get more expensive, the EU voting for protectionism over Net Zero.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/business-electric-vehicles/chinese-evs-be-hit-much-38-extra-eu-import-tax

Great for the campaigners who think cars are evil and we should all get the bus, for for the average motorist who just to get from A to B as cheaply as possible, not so much.
    Transportation was always a weakness in our climate change mitigation efforts - look at the massive fuss over the 2030 deadline for new ICE cars, even while other sectors of the economy made massive reductions in emissions. The Chinese have exploited the gap left by the lethargy and lobbying of European/American car makers.

It's darkly funny. When I was at Uni, there was all sorts of depressed talk about the industrialisation of China and India making climate change efforts basically pointless. Instead, the Chinese have flooded the market with cheap solar panels and cheap EVs to the extent that it's going to destroy fossil fuel industries in the West.
    Annual CO2 emissions are still rising. It is delusional to think that by 2050 this will be much different. Even if output is halved from present levels (the evidence that this can be done is absent), levels will only be rising but a little more slowly.

The rhetoric is all reminiscent of UK General Election rhetoric. A realistic truthful conversation would make a nice change.
    Climate change mitigation is not binary. It's not like there is a big climate change switch when we hit 2 degrees.

Most people working in this field know and accept that a huge amount of climate change damage is baked in. That's why we need to start discussing adaptation - flood defences, new pandemics, famine, mass migration.

But that doesn't mean the world should stop trying to prevent it being even worse - there is no sign of China abandoning solar or EVs, is there? The question for the UK is whether we want to embrace all this new technology or get left behind by the rest of the world.
    Agree. This discussion is obscured by Trumpian denialists and 'Just Stop Oil' fundamentalists. The 'amelioration' aspect is often ignored.
    Even if you don't agree with their methods, there's nothing particularly fundamentalist about JSO's demands. There is general scientific agreement that we need to rapidly reduce consumption of fossil fuels, and ceasing to issue new licences for oil exploration and production is broadly compatible with that aim. Amelioration to cope with the damage already in the pipeline is of course also required, but that's in addition to, not instead of, a sharp reduction in oil consumption.
    Perhaps you'd like to accompany me if I have to close a factory in Aberdeen in the second half of this year. Decent people will be put out of a job because of flawed government policies, and I don't see too many "green jobs" they can take round where they live.
    If I hear another idiot saying that they want "Green growth"... It apparently means growth without making anything, building anything. And it is free.

Changing technologies is massively disruptive for an industry - see Germany and American car makers. Who are stumbling.

The idea that this is free or painless is yet another populist, stupid delusion.

It is hard and expensive. And worth doing. Just decoupling our economy from the times that El Supremo has the hiccups and starts another war, and energy prices zoom up, it worth it. X recessions avoided.

Further, in the longer term, as energy prices fall below fossil fuel energy prices, we have interesting opportunities.
    Indeed. Switching to a sustainable economy is both necessary and also a huge challenge. Those who paint it as something that can be done without too much bother or inconvenience risk scuppering the whole effort. It's like fighting a war. It's necessary, but it inevitably involves some sacrifice. Smart leadership would prepare people for the challenges ahead as well as ensuring that the burdens are shared fairly.
    The other thing is that the status quo is not an option. The energy transition away from fossil fuels is going to happen, and you don't want to be a laggard.
    Estimates suggest 20% of all the electricity generated in Ireland will go to keeping Data Centres functioning.

Why not close them ?
    Only way in the future, Ireland currently generates 52% of its energy from oil or coal. With a growing population and a noted lack of infrastructure investment, that will be the case for some time. Data centres will consume energy and there is no green backstop to feed them.

But data centres run on electricity, and only 10.5% (and falling) of that is generated from oil or coal.

https://www.iea.org/countries/ireland/electricity
    No data centres and its 10.5% saved.

Anyhow as I sit here in the land of lignite energy, I must regrettably leave PB and go see some Germans.
    That makes no sense at all.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,345
    Levels of tax will be the headline coming out of the labour manifesto launch because they've forgotten to go for any 'hook' policies, and journos are already picking out the increased tax figures.
    Which will mash into the made up figures.
    They don't need to do anything in particular but they'd be better doing something imo
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,149

Labours biggest con trick of all - Labours “no new tax on working people” is just straightforward hypocrisy, easily called out as the lie it is when Labour confirmed today: that 6.5 million workers will be in Labour governments highest income tax bands, with new working families getting sucked into this stealth tax pain every year of Labour government.

Labour presented their manifesto knowing full well the number of people paying at the higher rate of 40 per cent and 'additional' rate of 45 per cent, is up from 5 million in recent years and more working people will be joining them in coming years under Labour government, including workers paying 20 per cent tax on incomes above just £12,570. All this will rake in a staggering £241billion from working households to go part the way to paying cost of Labours promises and policy’s, like the Nationalisation Programme of State Control.

Think about it, those earning just £12,570 a year under Labour will pay 20 per cent tax.

So why are they still called Labour and claiming Change, when they don’t represent Change from the highest tax burden since wartime, nor will protect hard working households like the Thatcher governments used to?

Labour and the Unions only represent the work shy, a bloating and costly state, and ruinous union demands for a 4 day working week.

And then, the icing on the huge tax cake, on top of all this theft of your money you worked hard for, Labours Net Zero taxes - a flag of Millibands gurning face, planted ON TOP the mountain of all this stealthy, over taxed pain, to remind you Labour has a ruinous idealogical side to their socialism.
    (Bridget Phillipson is straight out of Wallace and Gromit too, before politics she was a clay model at Hardman animations).

By all means fact check, but you will find every tax figure I said here is 110% true. This is what change to Labour actually means in the coming years.

Maths not your strong point, Moon?
    No it’s not., you are right. I have posted as such lots of times. I bunked off Maths lessons.

However all maths used here is backed up by the OBR, and by that boffin bloke on Sky, and the IFS. It’s their math. You can’t argue with it. It’s exactly the same Tax rises on everyone that Sunak and Hunt already programmed in, and will also happen if Sunak and Hunt win the election unless someone switches them off.

Was it switched off today? No. That is the biggest take out from this launch. It should hurt Labour in the rest of this campaign, by risking TV to them.

In the coming years we will be taxed a record amount last seen fighting the Second World War. Unless the frozen threshold programme is switched off, I am talking factual math.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,000
    kle4 said:

Subtle.

Didn't they hire one of Obama campaign staffers from back in the day....I can't remember what his slogan was.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,962
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

mwadams said:

boulay said:

Interesting voxpop on R4 from their roaming the country series. Today they were in Redcar and it was surprising how many of the people they played interviews with had no idea how they were going to vote on the day.

There was one lady v pro Sunak, another wanting change, another wanting a protest vote so was going with reform but otherwise everyone else was “I really just don’t know” and many saying they didn’t know for the first time ever ahead of an election.

I wonder if this is the same across the whole country in real life and could it be that people who respond to polls largely feel obliged to give an answer (yes there are Don’t Knows) as they are en engaged in polling but largely there is still quite a lot to play for so over the next couple of weeks the Tories can go big on “Labour Tax Rises” and reduce the losses.

That is precisely the difference between a broadcaster's vox pops (people prepared to talk to a journo on camera) v. a statistically sound polling methodology.

It's not the polling that is going to be more at variance with the actual result.
    It's almost as if the sort of person who wanders aimlessly around the town centre on a working day is not representative of the wider population.
    What's fascinating is that pb'er regulars seem to get regularly polled, whereas I have never been polled.

I do live in a (historically) safe seat, and ignore unsolicited calls though. Which might have something to do with it.
    It's a simple matter to register for online polls. I am on Yougovs, but only get a political poll every few months. I am being polled every week at the moment, this may well be because I am an Undecided yet certain to vote voter. They know my previous answers over the years so can judge trends well.
    I'm similarly signed up to Yougov, but haven't been politically polled in the last month or two.

You could probably create a third party surge all by yourself.
    I am a regular Facebook polee(?). Last week was the first time for ages that I was asked about voting intentions. As a down the line Lib Dem I wouldn't be part of any surge.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,837

Labours biggest con trick of all - Labours “no new tax on working people” is just straightforward hypocrisy, easily called out as the lie it is when Labour confirmed today: that 6.5 million workers will be in Labour governments highest income tax bands, with new working families getting sucked into this stealth tax pain every year of Labour government.

Labour presented their manifesto knowing full well the number of people paying at the higher rate of 40 per cent and 'additional' rate of 45 per cent, is up from 5 million in recent years and more working people will be joining them in coming years under Labour government, including workers paying 20 per cent tax on incomes above just £12,570. All this will rake in a staggering £241billion from working households to go part the way to paying cost of Labours promises and policy’s, like the Nationalisation Programme of State Control.

Think about it, those earning just £12,570 a year under Labour will pay 20 per cent tax.

So why are they still called Labour and claiming Change, when they don’t represent Change from the highest tax burden since wartime, nor will protect hard working households like the Thatcher governments used to?

Labour and the Unions only represent the work shy, a bloating and costly state, and ruinous union demands for a 4 day working week.

And then, the icing on the huge tax cake, on top of all this theft of your money you worked hard for, Labours Net Zero taxes - a flag of Millibands gurning face, planted ON TOP the mountain of all this stealthy, over taxed pain, to remind you Labour has a ruinous idealogical side to their socialism.
    (Bridget Phillipson is straight out of Wallace and Gromit too, before politics she was a clay model at Hardman animations).

By all means fact check, but you will find every tax figure I said here is 110% true. This is what change to Labour actually means in the coming years.

No it’s not., you are right. I have posted as such lots of times. I bunked off Maths lessons.

However all maths used here is backed up by the OBR, and by that boffin bloke on Sky, and the IFS. It’s their math. You can’t argue with it. It’s exactly the same Tax rises on everyone that Sunak and Hunt already programmed in, and will also happen if Sunak and Hunt win the election unless someone switches them off.

Was it switched off today? No. That is the biggest take out from this launch. It should hurt Labour in the rest of this campaign, by risking TV to them.

In the coming years we will be taxed a record amount last seen fighting the Second World War. Unless the frozen threshold programme is switched off, I am talking factual math.
    Factual math!

Never change Loon Rabbit.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,199
    The deposed leader of Les Republicains addresses journalists from a window of the party HQ.

https://x.com/clpressfr/status/1801181213589111166
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,707
    boulay said:

algarkirk said:

Eabhal said:

algarkirk said:

Eabhal said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Eabhal said:

Why not close them ?

Those problems will continue to exist whether there are data centres or not. I'd suggest fixing the problem.

I think the Green Party in government spent too much time/money on admirable improvements to public transport, and not enough on offshore wind and other energy infrastructure.
    Public transport outside of cities is never going to be great, because the population densities are too low. But they are putting effort into introducing new services, both in cities and in rural areas.

There's a new bus service from Skibbereen to Killarney that seems to be popular, but I haven't tried it yet.
    Oh, Skibbereen! Oh, I used to go there as a little child. And I used to go on nature trails, and I used to spot flowers.
    Shut up, Lynn

https://partridge.cloud/scene/?id=74t4Yw02RNMH
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,919
    boulay said:

algarkirk said:

Eabhal said:

algarkirk said:

Eabhal said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Eabhal said:

Why not close them ?

Oh, Skibbereen! Oh, I used to go there as a little child. And I used to go on nature trails, and I used to spot flowers.
    The people on here who don't get that reference are going to be "WTAF????"
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Subtle.

The Labour Party sought my advice on their manifesto.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,928
    Andy_JS said:

Today's PO witness is oddly similar to most of the others we've already seen.

Wondering why they are even there, because they did nothing wrong, saw nothing wrong, and weren’t aware of anything wrong going on around them?
  • Options
    edited June 13
    Its interesting that despite all the business glad handing Labour have done, they still have to roll out Iceland boss every time as their "we are business friendly now".
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,595

Its interesting that despite all the business glad handing Labour have done, they still have to roll out Iceland boss every time as their "we are business friendly now".

Apparently you can always find at least one turkey that votes for Christmas.
  • Options
    edited June 13
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Wondering why they are even there, because they did nothing wrong, saw nothing wrong, and weren’t aware of anything wrong going on around them?
    Its amazing anything got done at the PO at all as they all apparently spent all day staring at a blank wall not talking to anybody.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,354
    kle4 said:

Subtle.

Any mentions of what his dad did for a living?

Inquiring minds want to know.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

The current government is the fuck business government.
  • Options
    Ugh.

🔴
    @UKLabour
    commits to introducing the Independent Football Regulator in their manifesto:

⚫ Give fans a greater say in the way their clubs are run
    ⚫ Ensure financial sustainability of football clubs
    ⚫ No to closed shop leagues

https://x.com/FairGameUK/status/1801207402470965324
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,515

kle4 said:

Subtle.

The word tool appears five times, but not once in relation to his father's profession.
  • Options
    edited June 13

Fishing said:

The current government is the fuck business government.
    And yet the only person Labour seem to be able to roll out if the Iceland bloke who has an axe to grind because he didn't get a plum Tory seat.

I think its an interesting observation in comparison to Blair, where he a whole range of people willing to back him.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,863

kle4 said:

Subtle.

I guess Bowie's Changes will be the victory song?

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes (Turn and face the strange)
    Ch-ch-changes, don't want to be a richer man*
    Ch-ch-changes, just gonna have to be a different man**
    Time may change me
    But I can't trace time

*just as well, what with the £2k tax bombshell :wink:
    **not Sunak
  • Options
    edited June 13

Ugh.

🔴
    @UKLabour

Another one of the stupid Tory policies like the smoking ban that we are getting regardless.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,928

algarkirk said:

Eabhal said:

algarkirk said:

Eabhal said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Eabhal said:

Why not close them ?

You could move all the data centres out of Ireland and to somewhere cool and Scandi with massive access to renewables. Why not close the lot and help the planet ?

Because Ireland’s low corporation tax attracts a lot of multinational tech companies to base European headquarters in Ireland.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,489

The deposed leader of Les Republicains addresses journalists from a window of the party HQ.

Summary of some of the machinations here:

https://x.com/rnaudbertrand/status/1801114239572328663
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,366

Farage willing to lead merged Conservative-Reform party after election

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/06/13/farage-willing-to-lead-conservative-reform-merged-party/

Its Corbyn entryism for the right.

Vote Tory get Farage.
    Calls for a gigantic Labour poster with Sunak in Farage's pocket, like this one -

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2024/01/372_COVER-image.jpg
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,345
    'The bond that reaches through the generations' its such vacuous shit. Its utterly meaningless guff when it's not backed up by anything but vague slogans and promises of some future nirvana.
    They don't deserve to win any more than the Tories do to survive. Grim.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,239

Levels of tax will be the headline coming out of the labour manifesto launch because they've forgotten to go for any 'hook' policies, and journos are already picking out the increased tax figures.
    They don't need to do anything in particular but they'd be better doing something imo

Worse. Story might be increased taxes but still lots of cuts.

That’s true for all parties, but it might keep their share depressed. Not that that matters if the Tories can’t find a magic lamp and steal half the reform vote.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,139
    viewcode said:

boulay said:

algarkirk said:

Eabhal said:

algarkirk said:

Eabhal said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Eabhal said:

Why not close them ?

Shut up, Lynn

https://partridge.cloud/scene/?id=74t4Yw02RNMH
    I was thinking exactly the same :smiley:
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,962

boulay said:

Good morning

Sunak looked defeated last night no doubt from the fallout over his DDay antics and, apparently, immediately following the event he got on a plane arriving in Italy at 1.00am for the G7 meeting which I expect he will be the last to leave

I may be wrong but I detect that he may be receiving some sympathy, and in any respect the mental strain on him and his family must be colossal and for as poor as he is, he just cannot leave behind the Johnson and Truss disasters and the only consolation is that it will be over in three weeks

Mind you Starmer was also poor last night, with the audience openly laughing at his 'father was a toolmaker', he was called a robot, and the audience member who heckled Sunak later said that neither Sunak or Starmer have the answers for the NHS

However, he is going to be PM 3 weeks tomorrow and then the real test begins for him, labour, the country and of course the future role of the conservative party in our politics

He would probably be best dropping the “my father was a toolmaker” schtick now as it’s becoming an internet joke with memes about it. He doesn’t need to do it as they are going to win so why bother giving people ammo to mock you.
    And sure 'twas no wonder
    His mother and father were toolmakers too

It's an inherently quaint and old fashioned thing to be - presumably tools are made by robots these days.

boulay said:

Good morning

Sunak looked defeated last night no doubt from the fallout over his DDay antics and, apparently, immediately following the event he got on a plane arriving in Italy at 1.00am for the G7 meeting which I expect he will be the last to leave

I may be wrong but I detect that he may be receiving some sympathy, and in any respect the mental strain on him and his family must be colossal and for as poor as he is, he just cannot leave behind the Johnson and Truss disasters and the only consolation is that it will be over in three weeks

Mind you Starmer was also poor last night, with the audience openly laughing at his 'father was a toolmaker', he was called a robot, and the audience member who heckled Sunak later said that neither Sunak or Starmer have the answers for the NHS

However, he is going to be PM 3 weeks tomorrow and then the real test begins for him, labour, the country and of course the future role of the conservative party in our politics

He would probably be best dropping the “my father was a toolmaker” schtick now as it’s becoming an internet joke with memes about it. He doesn’t need to do it as they are going to win so why bother giving people ammo to mock you.
    And sure 'twas no wonder

It's an inherently quaint and old fashioned thing to be - presumably tools are made by robots these days.
    Many years ago there was a TV programme called 'What's My Line'. The panel had to guess the 'quaint and old fashioned' jobs of guests. I suspect most would now be redundant. As an example my father was trained as a painter and decorator but during WW2 he was employed as a fitter making gears for tank and airplane engines. Do we still have fitters?
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 815

What's French for defenestrate?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,018

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/06/13/farage-willing-to-lead-conservative-reform-merged-party/

Vote Tory get Farage.
    Given the current parlous state of the Tory leadership, and their polling doldrums, this will probably lead to boost for the Blue Meanies, not a fall.

Farage is the most popular politician in Britain, is he not?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Subtle.

He doesn't like to mention it.
  • Options

Factual math!

😝 .
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,097

Ugh.

🔴
    @UKLabour

Another Quango? Who gets to run that?

That's almost a Cones Hotline level of policy. This isn't going to go well, is it?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,700

The Iceland boss is going to love the junk food crackdown. The only thing they will have left to sell is Kerry Katona’s prawn ring.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,988

kle4 said:

Subtle.

Didn't they hire one of Obama campaign staffers from back in the day....I can't remember what his slogan was.
    Kick the can?
  • Options
    boulay said:

The Iceland boss is going to love the junk food crackdown. The only thing they will have left to sell is Kerry Katona’s prawn ring.
    I believe she already sells that through independent channels....
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

Subtle.

Kick the can?
    Well the second term was definitely...watch this drive.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,120

Ugh.

🔴
    @UKLabour

Why is this bad?
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,065
    edited June 13
    Selebian said:

kle4 said:

Subtle.

Time may change me
    But I can't trace time

**not Sunak
    I think The Who's "Don't Get Fooled Again" would be more appropriate.

"I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
    Take a bow for the new revolution
    Smile and grin at the change all around me
    Pick up my guitar and play
    Just like yesterday
    And I'll get on my knees and pray
    We don't get fooled again
    Don't get fooled again
    No, no
    Yeah
    Meet the new boss
    Same as the old boss"
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 2,000
    Shenanigans ensue in French politics after Macron calls a GE: https://x.com/RnaudBertrand/status/1801114239572328663
  • Options

boulay said:

Good morning

And sure 'twas no wonder

If you're only making one tool, for one job, it can still be easier to get a toolmaker to make it.
  • Options
    edited June 13

Ugh.

🔴
    @UKLabour

Another Quango? Who gets to run that?

That's almost a Cones Hotline level of policy. This isn't going to go well, is it?
    This is going to be Starmer's solution to everything, another Quango.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,540
    The leader of the French Republicans is leading his party from the balcony of a barricaded room. The French are actively covering for our whole Trussterfuck

https://x.com/cerfiafr/status/1801181744193769562?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,264

I wouldn't get too excited though.

I strongly suspect that's what SKS most cares about and will be near the top of his priority list.
  • Options
    Sunak bothered with the G7 I see. But who knows how long he will stay there.
  • Options

Selebian said:

kle4 said:

Subtle.

Time may change me
    But I can't trace time

**not Sunak
    I think The Who's "Don't Get Fooled Again" would be more appropriate.

"I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
    Take a bow for the new revolution
    Smile and grin at the change all around me
    Pick up my guitar and play
    Just like yesterday
    And I'll get on my knees and pray
    We don't get fooled again"
    Meet the new boss
    Same as the old boss
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Vote Tory get Farage.
    Given the current parlous state of the Tory leadership, and their polling doldrums, this will probably lead to boost for the Blue Meanies, not a fall.

He is not.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,739
    edited June 13
    Top tip: Do not become a radiologist. The first major casualty of AI I am aware of in my peer group.

Exciting, but not for a friend of a friend.
  • Options
    biggles said:

If Newsround ask for an interview, he will be straight back to Blighty.
  • Options
    Am I alone in having a crush on Georgia Meloni?
  • Options
    edited June 13
    Farooq said:

Ugh.

🔴
    @UKLabour

Why is this bad?
    Well run clubs will end up subsidising shitty owners.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Vote Tory get Farage.

He has his fans. But they are only fans.
  • Options

'The bond that reaches through the generations' its such vacuous shit. Its utterly meaningless guff when it's not backed up by anything but vague slogans and promises of some future nirvana.

Are they talking about James Bond?
  • Options

I wouldn't get too excited though.

I strongly suspect that's what SKS most cares about and will be near the top of his priority list.
    No, I think he’s a pragmatist. He knows there’s no way back in that won’t consume his whole leadership. No desire form the EU and no mechanism to do anything other than bilateral bits and pieces. I think the EU has genuinely left our politics for a bit - I would have said institutions might get built around the new community we are in, but I doubt it under Le Penn.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Vote Tory get Farage.

He is not.
    Aaron Bastani posted a poll from 24Q1 showing that he is the most popular AND unpopular. Marmite
  • Options
    Phil said:

Shenanigans ensue in French politics after Macron calls a GE: https://x.com/RnaudBertrand/status/1801114239572328663

The French literally gone, the roast beef gone for a stupid early election, hold my beer....
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

I admire the Post Office for staffing all senior positions with people who were blind, deaf, and dumb. Really giving opportunity to all.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Are they talking about James Bond?
    No he means our gilts. Those bonds definitely cross the generations….
  • Options
    boulay said:

algarkirk said:

Eabhal said:

algarkirk said:

Eabhal said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Eabhal said:

Why not close them ?

Niche, but I liked it.
  • Options
    edited June 13

Farooq said:

Ugh.

🔴
    @UKLabour

Why is this bad?
    Well run clubs will end up subsidising shitty owners.
    The EPL is a massive success story, its the world leader in football entertainment. From China to Canada it is the league everybody watches. It doesn't need messing with.

The problems are lower down.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Worse. Story might be increased taxes but still lots of cuts.

That’s true for all parties, but it might keep their share depressed. Not that that matters if the Tories can’t find a magic lamp and steal half the reform vote.
    But if anyone wants to say “Labour are bound to raise direct taxes” prepare for me laughing loudly right in your face. They are inheriting Sunak’s plan for record tax take, they won’t need any more. Stealthy taxes will be pouring in.
  • Options

biggles said:

If Newsround ask for an interview, he will be straight back to Blighty.
    I think it's the other way round. The longer he stays in Italy the longer he puts off going back to the disasterous election campaign.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Yeah, bit too chicken wings and smokery for me.
  • Options
    Leon said:

...no.
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 174
    Farooq said:

Ugh.

🔴
    @UKLabour

Why is this bad?
    Farooq said:

Ugh.

🔴
    @UKLabour

Why is this bad?
    Because fans (i.e average Joe) don't know shit about running a big organisation like a football club.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Vote Tory get Farage.

He is not.
    Most popular Conservative though?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Ugh.

🔴
    @UKLabour

Why is this bad?
    Why is it good?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Vote Tory get Farage.

He is not.
    Farage couldn't even lead the UKIP caucus without it splintering in multiple directions.

He's probably a nightmare to work for and with, doesn't give a toss about man management and has zero organisational skills.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,415
    Leon said:

Mortimer said:

Vote Tory get Farage.

He is not.
    Aaron Bastani posted a poll from 24Q1 showing that he is the most popular AND unpopular. Marmite
    Was that the one with David Blunkett as the fourth most popular?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Mortimer said:

Vote Tory get Farage.

He is not.
    Aaron Bastani! LOL.

Have a read about the methodology of that.

https://yougov.co.uk/about/ratings-faq
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Vote Tory get Farage.

He is not.
    Farage couldn't even lead the UKIP caucus without it splintering in multiple directions.

He's probably a nightmare to work for and with, doesn't give a toss about man management and has zero organisational skills.
    Based on recent occupants, is that the Tory Leader JD?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,644
    Nunu5 said:

Farooq said:

Ugh.

🔴
    @UKLabour

Why is this bad?
    Farooq said:

Ugh.

🔴
    @UKLabour

Why is this bad?
    Because fans (i.e average Joe) don't know shit about running a big organisation like a football club.
    I think it was Argentina, where fan run clubs were being run by actual Fascists, for a while. Not just Peronists - the full on boot boy types.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

...no.
    Hah. Thanks mate. Was beginning to worry
  • Options
    I can see Gary Neville as head of the football quango....who is to blame for Bournemouth season ticket price rise...the Glaziers.
  • Options

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

Vote Tory get Farage.

He is not.
    Was that the one with David Blunkett as the fourth most popular?
    Yes. It was weird but I’m not sure it was bollocks?

Bastani has become quite an interesting and neutral observer of politics now he’s moved on from childish corbynism
  • Options

kle4 said:

Subtle.

The full review will have to await the end of the working day I'm afraid :)
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,105

No satire could ever be as funny as the deposed leader of a political party locking themselves in their HQ and conducting a press conference from a window so he doesn’t have to open the door which might let his former colleagues in. It’s mental.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,739
    Guido has something
  • Options

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

Vote Tory get Farage.

He is not.
    Aaron Bastani! LOL.

I yield to your superior knowledge of polling but I still maintain Bastani is becoming a useful observer of British politics
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,120
    Can anyone point to the list of businesspeople who have endorsed the Conservatives for this election?
    Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    edited June 13
    Eabhal said:

Guido has something

Looks like he is going to run his October surprise story he has been hinting at then. Does that mean the papers wouldn't buy it off him in the end?
  • Options
    edited June 13
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

Vote Tory get Farage.

He is not.
    Aaron Bastani! LOL.

I yield to your superior knowledge of polling but I still maintain Bastani is becoming a useful observer of British politics
    He is full of shit.

As for Farage, why did Gove and Cummings realise that a Farage fronted Leave campaign would see Remain win 70/30.

Is it because it he is so popular?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,497

Mexican billionaire takes stake in BT.

Another massive British company about to fall into foreign ownership? A french tycoon already has a chunk as do, I think, German state telecoms company.

Royal Mail seems destined to be non-UK within months.

We are out of our minds.

That is one of Thatcher's enduring legacies.
    (Either the policy of laissez faire, or our being out of our minds; you decide.)
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 174
    Eabhal said:

Guido has something

On Starmers "complicated love life".

No one cares. We voted for BoJo, remember.

Another damp squib from guido
  • Options
    edited June 13

Factual math!

This is a very strong mini thread discussion we are having today on PB. This is the actual nub of this election campaign imo - right here, right now. So will you stop interrupting with your silliness. 😠

Straight forward fact. To go in government not splashing money around this end of the parliament, to run into economic trouble later in the term, might be 10/10 sensible way to govern in the next couple of years, but it makes for uninspiring, thin gruel in a manifesto in an election.

Labour supporters can’t have it both ways. I’m not letting anyone have it both ways, all voters need to chose - fiscally prudent government in coming years, or flashy and cheering giveaway manifesto leading to all sorts of problems, you can’t have both. Pure logic. And factual math. 1974 to 1979 refers.

In fact the way Starmer has beaten the left and trumped the Unions in order to have this very fiscally dry plan for the next few years is very impressive. It is exactly what is needed for good government the next few years. It’s good strong party leadership. Greens and Lib Dem’s and reform should vote for it, lend tactical votes to it, rather than criticise from out in their fantasy lands and fantasy manifesto’s, as they will do in coming days.

Nor can Tories attack this at all, because it’s THEIR tax rise programme, this same highest tax take since world war 2 record on its way IS Sunak’s plan, it’s just not being turned off by Labour.

And in yesterday’s interview Sunak looked ridiculous, complete Charlatan denying he knew anything about his plan has taxes rising like this, stealthily. To a record.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,096
    Farooq said:

Can anyone point to the list of businesspeople who have endorsed the Conservatives for this election?
    Thanks in advance.

Mr Frank Hester.
    Er ...
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Guido has something

Chlamydia ?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,515
    Thankfully, I don't think Starmer has used the words "back to basics" during his campaign.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,096

'Change' is not 'nothing at all'. Except when it is.
    Visionless offer from Labour. No wonder everyone is bored

Higher Utility charges to pay for the Socialist Starmer’s Nationalisation Programme. State Ownership means being an employer, and with that comes costs, wages, training, a pension scheme etc etc etc And who’s paying for all this? You the taxpayer. Not only that, Labour’s anti aspirational VAT on private schooling, not touching the wealthy famous schools, but destroying all the fine local ones, working families have been using for their families for generations. And the dreaded garden tax is coming - they have it in Labour Wales, where tax man flies drones over your property to hit you with Labours brand new stealth tax.

You won’t get any of this with a Tory government. Fact. 💁‍♀️
    Why bother with drones when you just look up (a) the property registry, (b) Google Maps terrain option, and (c) OS commercial map access?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,497

kle4 said:

Subtle.

Yes you can. 😊
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,018

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

Vote Tory get Farage.

He is not.
    Aaron Bastani! LOL.

He is full of shit.

As for Farage, why did Gove and Cummings realise that a Farage fronted Leave campaign would see Remain win 70/30.

Is it because it is so popular?
    Far more popular than Cummings or Gove, however!

We've got to the stage where almost anyone would do better than Rishi.

For that, the right of the Tory party will be immensely grateful to the centrist wets supporting poor Blairite tribute act Sunak...
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Guido has something

Looks like he is going to run his October surprise story he has been hinting at then. Does that mean the papers wouldn't buy it off him in the end?
    Unless it's something illegal or very morally questionable, I think it won't do too much damage. We've had Johnson as PM!
  • Options
    Nunu5 said:

Eabhal said:

Guido has something

On Starmers "complicated love life".

No one cares. We voted for BoJo, remember.

Another damp squib from guido
    Is it at least better than when the papers wanted us to be shocked that Ed M had been in relationships with intelligent, accomplished, attractive women? What a loser, right!
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Guido has something

Nothing trivial ?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,925
    Skimmed the manifesto. A lot of well meaning stuff but not a tremendous amount of concrete proposals. I have to say I’m rather disappointed, I hoped that there might be a bit more meat put on the bones when Labour got to this point. There are the odd hints of more substantive institutional reform but it’s not quite as pronounced as I’d really have liked it to have been.

We are giving Starmer a real carte blanche here, and I am comfortable to give him it this time, but I do think that this approach is potentially going to store up problems for Labour in government.