Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

When political betting can get you into trouble – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,772

Starmer confirms Welsh style Garden tax.

What is a “Welsh style garden” and do enough people have them for the tax to cover the spending plans?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,499

Whats a garden tax?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,123
    Heathener said:

Unpopular said:

Those stage lights are making Starmer look washed out. Rigby is also giving him a good mauling.

Properly mauled already, it’s only 2 questions in.

The problem is he’s waffley.
    First time I’ve ever watched Starmer. I think he’s doing rather well.

I’m impressed.
    He's doing taxes very strongly. Big applause with his "the Tories have no right to talk about tax" line
  • Options
    PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 444
    Audience applauding at "The Tories are in no position to lecture about Tax Rises!"

I think Rishi's going to face a very hostile audience later...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,736
    edited June 12

Waffley Starmer steam rolling Beth.

Not watching this one - too busy reading the Green Party Manifesto - but does that mean he and Rishi has switched roles from the last one? We shall see.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,255
    edited June 12
    boulay said:

IanB2 said:

MikeL said:

This is exactly what I thought. Sky wasn't around when he was in his teens.

Andrew Neil
    @afneil
    ·
    3h
    I launched Sky TV in 1989, by which time Starmer was 27 — so obviously he didn’t have Sky growing up. Nobody his age did since it didn’t exist.
    Also, as the first Executive Chairman of Sky I can tell you with authority that working class families were the first to adopt it.

Not sure what the point is here.

It's Sunak who said he didn't have Sky in his teens.

Sunak was born in May 1980. Sky TV launched in Feb 1989 so he would have been 8 at the time.

Live Premier League on Sky began in Aug 1992 when Sunak was 12.
    It was a trap he shouldn’t have fallen into. His point - essentially that he didn’t have a spoiled childhood - is a perfectly reasonable one; even if his parents were comfortably off, there are plenty of children from such backgrounds who don’t get everything they want. Many well off parents restrict their children’s access to phones and computer games and TV.

But the journalist knew that pushing for a specific example of something he didn’t get would generate a story, since any one thing he cited would sound ridiculous when considered against the experience of children growing up in genuine poverty or neglect. A more able political would have managed to avoid being specific and retreated to the general.
    Not sure about that, if he had avoided any specifics then the interviewer would start saying, “are you not telling us anything in particular because you actually didn’t miss out on anything”. He couldn’t win, he was straightforward (I thought we wanted that in politicians) and so he gets pilloried.

Say nothing “Rishi had everything as a kid”, say something “oh poor little Rishi didn’t have x, well we didn’t have x or y or z”.

It’s the wankery of political interviews that people should have a bigger problem with.
    Rishi avoiding giving a specific example isn’t a story, and isn’t going to cut through, in the way that ‘poor Rishi didn’t even have Sky TV as a child’ will. Looking bad for a moment in an interview that will be watched in full by a tiny handful of voters isn’t nearly so much a deal as gifting the media, and your opponents, a catchy line that could run and run.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,476

Talking of dickheads...

Police say they are aware an internet prankster has seemingly been registered to stand as a general election candidate in multiple constituencies.

The name of YouTuber Niko Omilana, who stood in the London mayoral election three years ago, is on the ballot as an independent in at least 11 constituencies.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cm55x95xj54o

Sorry, pb. This could have been our scoop. I vaguely noticed it when looking at where RefUK was not standing the other day, but did not realise it was verboten and just cursed Niko for screwing up my planned post on the most common first and surnames among candidates.
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 442

kle4 said:

On the Green Party manifesto:

Does "ban on all blood sports" include fishing?

The Green Party is fundamentally opposed to all blood sports and would campaign to introduce
    a ban on all hunting in the first year of a new parliament. This includes trophy hunting, trail
    hunting, where dogs are used to track foxes, and the commercial shooting of game birds.
    Thanks. Yet AUIU the term 'blood sports' includes fishing. I assume that would be *after* the first year...
    Completely incoherent from the Greens. Trophy hunting in this sense happens in Southern Africa where we don't have much legislative power these days, and does a shot bird mind less as long as it wasn't done commercially?
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 834
    Heathener said:

Unpopular said:

Those stage lights are making Starmer look washed out. Rigby is also giving him a good mauling.

I’m impressed.
    I don't think he's doing badly, though he's got a tough crowd, and Beth Rigby is going tough at him. Will be interesting to see what she dishes out to Rishi.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,532
    Heathener said:

Unpopular said:

I’m impressed.
    Heathener said:

Unpopular said:

I’m impressed.
    He’s much more energetic this time than in the last debate.
  • Options

Audience applauding at "The Tories are in no position to lecture about Tax Rises!"

I think Rishi's going to face a very hostile audience later...

Ed M got an audible gasp when he said Labour had not spent too much. Rishi might have the audience rush the stage in an angry mob.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,222
    edited June 12
    boulay said:

What is a “Welsh style garden” and do enough people have them for the tax to cover the spending plans?
    The plan is to re-evaluate your house using data like satellite images i.e. if you tarted up your house or garden etc, your council tax bill probably going to go up.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,957
    Beth Rigby is a good interviewer. She’s managing to make it combative but fun, with a twinkle in her eye.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    kle4 said:

Not watching this one - too busy reading the Green Party Manifesto - but does that mean he and Rishi has switched roles from the last one? We shall see.
    No. Starmer always waffley, never answers.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Green Party Manifesto 2024 Part 3
    Making work fair

• Workers being exploited. Repeal anti-union legislation. 10:1 pay ratio for all private and public sector organisations.
    • Minimum wage of £15, employment allowance to 10k, full employment rights day one
    • Pay gap protections
    • Support 4 day weeks
    • Giving everyone a fairer, greener deal
    • Universal credit up 40 a week
    • End 5 week wait for benefits
    • Abolish 2 child benefit gap
    • Carers increased at least 10% a month
    • Scrap bedroom tax
    • ‘long term’ push for universal basic income
    A fairer and greener approach to public finances
    • Investment income taxed same rate as earned income.
    • No increase in basic rate of income tax
    • Rejecting ‘straitjacket of conventional fiscal rules’ (note – sounds like something Truss would say)
    • Wealth tax – 1% for those with assets above 10m, 2% for those over a billion
    • Reform inheritance tax to be more fair (note – no idea what this means in practice)
    • Green party always opposed council tax – long term goal land value tax
    • Windfall tax increase for oil and gas
    • Carbon tax – 120 per tonne, to 500 per tonne within 10 years – ‘deliberately’ to make it cheaper to reduce emissions than pay tax. Estimate it will raise £80bn by end of parliament
    • ‘never allow an obsession with fiscal rules to stop us investing’ (note - !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So basically if something looks like a bad idea, never mind)
    Brining nature back to life
    • Nature more than just its economic value.
    • Water privtisation a disaster.
    • New right to nature act – legal personhood to nature (note – and that helps things how? – says cannot be exploited for financial gain, does that mean farming is out?)
    • 30% land and seas set aside
    • everyone can live 15 minutes from a nature rich green space
    • 3bn annually to support returning to nature
    Protecting animals
    • Commission on animal protection
    • ban on all blood suports
    • new laws to tackle when companion animals are stolen (note - gimmick, why is a new law needed?)
    • 'work toward' ban on lab monkey testing
    • oppose badger culling
    • push for ban on bottom trawling
    There's some more sensible stuff in there (like taxing investment income at the same rate as earned income), alongside some things which are simply bonkers.
    If you have 50 pages some of them will have sensible things on just by random chance.

It really went wild in the second half.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,417
    edited June 12
    People who just want the Tories out but are wavering re who to support will not be attracted by this.

They will be asking: "So what on earth is Lab going to do?"

I suspect many such people will be attracted by Reform - simply because they think Farage would actually do something.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,696

https://x.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1800939951309156548

Labour leads Reform UK by 10% among those who primarily read the news from The Telegraph.

Westminster VI, Telegraph Readers (7-10 June):

Labour 36%
    Reform UK 26%
    Conservative 20%
    Liberal Democrat 7%
    Other 3%
    Don't Know 7%

Pretty astonishing numbers. It's likely they will endorse a party who are 3rd amongst its own readers - unless they break for Reform!

Blimey yes, worth using my dail pic on:

Daily Mail ffs? Daily Express! Daily Everything... and by a wide margin.

https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/westminster-voting-intention-by-media-consumption-7-10-june/
    I love that Private Eye has *by far* the lowest rate of people who don't know who they will vote for. People who read Private Eye are clearly exceptionally well-informed and decisive. I expect they are also good-looking and witty.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

boulay said:

IanB2 said:

MikeL said:

Andrew Neil
    @afneil
    ·
    3h
    I launched Sky TV in 1989, by which time Starmer was 27 — so obviously he didn’t have Sky growing up. Nobody his age did since it didn’t exist.
    Also, as the first Executive Chairman of Sky I can tell you with authority that working class families were the first to adopt it.

Sunak was born in May 1980. Sky TV launched in Feb 1989 so he would have been 8 at the time.

It was a trap he shouldn’t have fallen into. His point - essentially that he didn’t have a spoiled childhood - is a perfectly reasonable one; even if his parents were comfortably off, there are plenty of children from such backgrounds who don’t get everything they want. Many well off parents restrict their children’s access to phones and computer games and TV.

But the journalist knew that pushing for a specific example of something he didn’t get would generate a story, since any one thing he cited would sound ridiculous when considered against the experience of children growing up in genuine poverty or neglect. A more able political would have managed to avoid being specific and retreated to the general.
    Not sure about that, if he had avoided any specifics then the interviewer would start saying, “are you not telling us anything in particular because you actually didn’t miss out on anything”. He couldn’t win, he was straightforward (I thought we wanted that in politicians) and so he gets pilloried.

Say nothing “Rishi had everything as a kid”, say something “oh poor little Rishi didn’t have x, well we didn’t have x or y or z”.

It’s the wankery of political interviews that people should have a bigger problem with.
    Rishi avoiding giving a specific example isn’t a story, and isn’t going to cut through, in the way that ‘poor Rishi didn’t even have Sky TV as a child’ will. Looking bad for a moment in an interview that will be watched in full by a tiny handful of voters isn’t nearly so much a deal as gifting the media, and your opponents, a catchy line that could run and run.
    It’s a bit weird though that a man saying he didn’t have sky tv as a kid is a bigger deal than someone saying they wouldn’t use private healthcare to fix a loved one but I guess that’s where the Tories are.
  • Options
    Toolmaker klaxon
  • Options
    boulay said:

Quick, everyone, dig up your daffodil bulbs and leeks before 4th July or you'll be hit hard in the wallet.
  • Options
    edited June 12
    I'm not sure I have the enegy for the SDP manifesto. That would mean I have to do Galloway's mob as well probably.

But at first glance it is the best designed - simple lists of policies not walls of text.
  • Options
    edited June 12

Heathener said:

Unpopular said:

I’m impressed.
    He's doing taxes very strongly. Big applause with his "the Tories have no right to talk about tax" line
    Each time he mentions mum in NHS and dad tool maker and tough upbringing, Starmer booed and shouted and laughed at.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Toolmaker klaxon

Was he a good toolmaker?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,426
    kle4 said:

Green Party Manifesto Part 5
    Sharing a fairer green welcome

• Fast and fair asylum process – and permitted to work during process
    • Abolish ten year route to settlement
    • End to migration detention as migration is not a criminal offence under any circumstances (note – so…no limit on migration at all?)
    • All visa holding residents have right to vote in all elections (note – why? Does any country do this?)
    • Dismantle home office and create department of migration (note why? If you can’t detain illegal migrants why have any rules?)
    • Remove minimum income requirements
    Access to art sport and culture for all
    • 5bn investment in community support
    • Reinstate second part of Leveson review
    • Exempt cultural events from VAT
    • Enable local authorities to maintain key sporting infrastructure including pools (note – they already can, they just don’t have money for it)
    • No individual or company to own more than 20% of media market
    • Bringing Justice to crime and policing
    • 2.5bn on courts (note – good idea)
    • End to routine stop and search
    • Not scrapping PCCs like LDs
    • Restorative justice
    • Misogyny to be a hate crime
    • Decriminalise sex work
    • 11bn in ministry of justice – legal aid, repair court buildings, more judges
    Building a fairer, greener, safer world
    • Support Ukraine (note – genuinely surprised me)
    • Immediate bilateral ceasefire in Gaza (permanent one, not sure how that is enforced)
    • Recognise state of Palestine
    • End uk arms exports and cooperation with Israel
    • High share of historic global emissions means uK has responsibility to support others
    • 1% GDP on aid by 2033
    • Law against ecocide
    • Ensure people of the global south take lead on how aid is spent (and direct support to populations not corrupt governments). (note – what if the global south have different ideas about things?)
    • Supports reparations for slave trade
    • Rejoin the EU ‘as soon as domestic political situation is favourable and EU member states are willing’ (note – oddly coy – this is a theoretical Green government, why would it not be the right time)
    • Dismantle nuclear weapons
    • Does NOT commit to leave NATO, but to reform its operations.
    Coda
    • Brief ‘statistical index’ (note – always makes me feel better) and an epilogue
    Supporting Ukraine surprised me. I thought they’d want a military alliance with Cuba.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,592
    edited June 12
    Insider betting is not a thing that the gambling commission should be concerned about - Its nothing like insider trading on shares for example which is rightfully a crime . Unlike public shares , no bookie is forced to offer a market and bookies should think carefully of the potential for insider betting in forming markets if they really have a problem with it - its their risk.
  • Options

boulay said:

Quick, everyone, dig up your daffodil bulbs and leeks before 4th July or you'll be hit hard in the wallet.
    Take this stealth tax on everyone seriously.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,218
    kle4 said:

Pity that the audience will be a tenth of the ITV one...
  • Options
    Suck here, Beth saying. Suck here?
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,464
    IanB2 said:

Marr has some really interesting things to say about Brexit, the EU and a labour government... he sounds quite gung-ho about the prospect of SM.

https://youtu.be/_dnBBiEFogs?si=fV3r2NyunjHpKAWX

So many things rest upon whether Starmer and his team are emboldened by a big win, or spend five years quivering inside the fence they have erected around themselves.
    It’ll be the latter viz T. Blair.

The one certainty in life is the Tories will push whatever they want as hard as they can with a majority of 1 whereas Labour will cower and equivocate with a majority of 200.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,490
    Yikes Beth Rigby is on fire . If she’s the same with Sunak then things could turn ugly .
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,505
    Brilliant. Good on Ed Davey. Keep hammering away on the social care issue. The political class have failed on this and it effects millions:

Ed Davey
    @EdwardJDavey
    Everywhere I go across our United Kingdom, I meet people working hard and caring for loved ones.

But too often they are being let down. Carers not getting the support they need. Cancer patients forced to wait.

We have to change things.

https://x.com/EdwardJDavey/status/1800950690753413306
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,722
    edited June 12
    A Keynesian thrust from Starmer.

I like it

(And his lovely smile, obvs <3 )
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TimS said:

Toolmaker klaxon

Was he a good toolmaker?
    Thing is, why do people assume toolmakers are poor? There’s a house for sale designed and owned by the man who invented the Black and Decker workmate - he didn’t even invent the tools just the table they use the tools on. It’s not my style but it’s quite expensive.

https://www.broadlandsjersey.com/property/villa-devereaux/

So I think we need to re-evaluate how wealthy toolmakers are.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Beth Rigby is a good interviewer. She’s managing to make it combative but fun, with a twinkle in her eye.

She is, her questions are getting Starmer from the left and right. She hits him with a right hook on tax rises and then she swings from the left with the child benefit cap. Leaves a very narrow path for Starmer to navigate. I think he's bruised but getting through.

Interestingly he did the tool maker dad line and got a very derisive laugh from within the audience but, to my ear, it sounded quite localised. I'm thinking was maybe one or two people in the audience being deliberately loud. He was able to come back about not making ends meet is not a laughing matter. Looking at the faces of the audience, I think that landed.
  • Options
    edited June 12
    By the way, Beth is good.

Edit, but constantly interrupting
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,306
    edited June 12

Insider betting is not a thing that the gambling commission should be concerned about - Its nothing like insider trading on shares for example which is rightfully a crime . Unlike public shares , no bookie is forced to offer a market and bookies should think carefully of the potential for insider betting in forming markets if they really have a problem with it - its their risk.

All valid and fair but the damage to the Tories will land anyway. Drip, drip, drip,...
  • Options
    Can Beth Rigby stop bloody interrupting everyone?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,255
    boulay said:

IanB2 said:

boulay said:

IanB2 said:

MikeL said:

Andrew Neil
    @afneil
    ·
    3h

It’s a bit weird though that a man saying he didn’t have sky tv as a kid is a bigger deal than someone saying they wouldn’t use private healthcare to fix a loved one but I guess that’s where the Tories are.
    I see someone has already started a fund-raiser on GoFundMe to raise money for "poor little Rishi's Sky TV package".

He isn't going to hear the end of this, now.
  • Options

Brilliant. Good on Ed Davey. Keep hammering away on the social care issue. The political class have failed on this and it effects millions:

Ed Davey
    @EdwardJDavey
    Everywhere I go across our United Kingdom, I meet people working hard and caring for loved ones.

But too often they are being let down. Carers not getting the support they need. Cancer patients forced to wait.

IIRC from 2019 all the parties had a variation on 'we will work on a cross party basis to fix social care'. You'd think that would have made doing so simpler, but we've gotten nowhere in 5 years.

I am not optimstic about them saying the right thing as a result.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Unpopular said:

I’m impressed.
    Each time he mentions mum in NHS and dad tool maker and tough upbringing, Starmer booed and shouted and laughed at.
    It should be a drinking game!
  • Options

Heathener said:

Unpopular said:

I’m impressed.
    No he was not. There were a couple of murmurs.

Give it a break MR
  • Options
    Betting story is on front page of BBC News...along with news that for a mere $10k you can hang out with Holly Valence for a Donald Trump fundraise.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,540

Ed Davey
    @EdwardJDavey

I'm sorry, but the Lib Dems have absolutely no right to take the moral high ground on that subject. Their behaviour in 2017 was disgraceful.
  • Options
    My dad wasn't a toolmaker and we did have Sky.
  • Options
    Excellent finish from Starmer, liked how he took the question from the rogue audience member who shouted out!

Also great (and clearly true) answer about fears for his family,
  • Options

Betting story is on front page of BBC News...along with news that for a mere $10k you can hang out with Holly Valence for a Donald Trump fundraise.

Not really a great deal when I can spend $0 to ensure I don't hang out with him.
  • Options

Posho.
  • Options

kle4 said:

No. Starmer always waffley, never answers.
    You’re talking crap. He has kept this on his message about growing the wealth of this country.

Good job by Starmer against a combative, and constantly interrupting, interviewer.

He’s done well
  • Options
    edited June 12
    Patsy first audience question. Probably first thing his team prepped him for.

Still a limp answer though.
  • Options

https://x.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1800939951309156548

Labour leads Reform UK by 10% among those who primarily read the news from The Telegraph.

Westminster VI, Telegraph Readers (7-10 June):

Labour 36%
    Reform UK 26%
    Conservative 20%
    Liberal Democrat 7%
    Other 3%
    Don't Know 7%

Pretty astonishing numbers. It's likely they will endorse a party who are 3rd amongst its own readers - unless they break for Reform!

Blimey yes, worth using my dail pic on:

Daily Mail ffs? Daily Express! Daily Everything... and by a wide margin.

https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/westminster-voting-intention-by-media-consumption-7-10-june/
    I love that Private Eye has *by far* the lowest rate of people who don't know who they will vote for. People who read Private Eye are clearly exceptionally well-informed and decisive. I expect they are also good-looking and witty.
    We are, that's true.
  • Options
    StereodogStereodog Posts: 450
    I thought that was a really shaky start from Starmer but he really pulled it round at the end. The answers about his wife and children were charming and honest.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Unpopular said:

I’m impressed.

Give it a break MR
    There was certainly audible incredulity - he responded to it.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,007
    The stuff from Starmer about his family sounds sincere. He sounds like he cares and that’s all he needs
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Posho.
    Totally cushy life in Rochdale, we had a gravel drive and everything.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,168
    edited June 12

Foxy said:

Also from Yougov:

No wonder that Tories aren't crowing about Brexit when only a third of their own supporters think it as has done more good than harm.

And opposition parties should note that this sort of polling cannot be ignored forever.

Brexit, the great unflushed turd of British politics.
    As a point here, the claim was those that voted brexit were too thick to know what they voted for.....now they are bright enough to say what they voted for hasn't worked out.....make your mind up
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,464
    boulay said:

IanB2 said:

boulay said:

IanB2 said:

MikeL said:

Andrew Neil
    @afneil
    ·
    3h

If in doubt, resort to "But what about ..."
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Unpopular said:

I’m impressed.

Give it a break MR
    There was certainly audible incredulity - he responded to it.
    Second time around you mean, ref the toolmaker. He did well with that saying it wasn’t a laughing matter etc.
  • Options
    I think that was about as good a showing as Starmer could do so
    Stereodog said:

I thought that was a really shaky start from Starmer but he really pulled it round at the end. The answers about his wife and children were charming and honest.

Yeah it started underwhelming but ended very well.

Prediction: this audience is going to be absolutely livid with Sunak and there's a chance we could get a moment that makes D-Day gate look small by comparison...
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,842
    kle4 said:

Not really a great deal when I can spend $0 to ensure I don't hang out with him.
    I'd love it if he mis-speaks and misses the 'maker' off the end.

"My dad was a tool..." :)
  • Options

The stuff from Starmer about his family sounds sincere. He sounds like he cares and that’s all he needs

He's so far ahead so long as he doesn't suddenly declare himself to be a neo-nazi who punches everyone's beloved grandmothers in his spare time, I think he'll be seen as ok.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Unpopular said:

I’m impressed.

Give it a break MR
    No there was a loud noise. Starmer said stop laughing it’s serious,

People watching for themselves heard it.
  • Options
    Chris said:

boulay said:

IanB2 said:

boulay said:

IanB2 said:

MikeL said:

Andrew Neil
    @afneil
    ·
    3h

If in doubt, resort to "But what about ..."
    Brilliant retort.
  • Options

Stereodog said:

Prediction: this audience is going to be absolutely livid with Sunak and there's a chance we could get a moment that makes D-Day gate look small by comparison...
    I think the D Day question is going to be box office. Sunak might not be able to handle this audience.
  • Options
    edited June 12

Stereodog said:

The thing is having a hostile audience can actually be a positive. Blair seemed pretty good when people came at him. Cameron did well with some. People have respect for leaders who can take incoming and give a clear answer measured answer back. They don't even need to agree, it can be we disagree, but.

But Sunak is rubbish, so he won't.
  • Options

My dad didn't have a job and he had Sky.
  • Options
    This format isn’t working. They are letting him waffle, but say nothing.

Applause for Beth for intervening and shutting him up.
  • Options

Stereodog said:

I think the D Day question is going to be box office. Sunak might not be able to handle this audience.
    He's already tried apologising, it hasn't helped, even if he gets on his knees to beg forgiveness with the audience it will probably just inflame.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Ed Davey
    @EdwardJDavey

I'm sorry, but the Lib Dems have absolutely no right to take the moral high ground on that subject. Their behaviour in 2017 was disgraceful.
    2017?
  • Options
    Unpopular said:

I didn't have a dad and sky was that thing above the ground.
  • Options
    I get the impression that Starmer is a bit hampered by not having released his manifesto yet. It’s making his answers on the future a bit waffely. That was a pleasantly honest answer on the junior doctors though.
  • Options
    Its going all Four Yorkshiremen again....
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,426
    kle4 said:

Stereodog said:

He's already tried apologising, it hasn't helped, even if he gets on his knees to beg forgiveness with the audience it will probably just inflame.
    Sunak will play the role of crippled child, in the hope that the audience will pity him. He really is a long streak of piss.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Green Party Manifesto Part 4
    A greener and fairer food and farming system

• Ultra processed food is bad. Climate change threatens food supply.
    • Support farmers to transition to nature friendly farming
    • Improve soil health
    • Offer sustainable employment, decent livelihoods, food conditions, to those growing food (note – how?)
    • End unfair trade deals
    • All children to have daily free school meal
    • ‘rebalance power dynamic’ between big food manufacturers and local alternatives
    • Putting small and family farms ‘back in the room’ to develop farming policy (note – eh?)
    Creating a fairer green education system
    • 1.4bn per year in sure start centres
    • Extend ‘outgoing government’s officer of 35 hours per week childcare
    • 8bn for schools
    • 2.5bn to tackle RAAC concrete scandal
    • Ensure effective deliver of new natural history GCSE (note – oddly specific)
    • Academies back to local authority control, remove charitable status of private schools
    • 5bm in SEND provision
    • 12bn in skills and lifelong learning
    • Restore role of school nurse – all schools have on site medical professional
    • ‘fully fund every higher education student, restore maintenance grants, and scrap undergraduate tuition fees. Long term plans to cancel graduate debt (note – this seems really, really, really expensive)
    Investing in fairer greener transport
    • Air pollution leads to 40k deaths per year
    • 19bn over 5 years to improve public transport
    • Local authorities control over improved bus services
    • 2,5bn a year in new cycleways and footpaths
    • ‘approach to identifying’ rails lines which could be identified (note – guff)
    • End to sales of petrol and diesel cars by 2027, end to use on the road by 2035
    • 20mph default speed limit in built up areas
    • Frequent flyer levy
    • Halt to airport expansion
    A fairer greener democracy
    • Corporations mean we don’t see action we need (note – pretty sure its people not voting for you)
    • Fair politics act – removes voter ID, get rid of FPTP (not clear with what, just something proportional), ‘fair’ system of funding parties, go after think tanks, 16 year olds to vote
    • Amend online safety act to ‘prevent political debate from being manipulated by falsehoods, fakes, and half truths (note – you what?! This is so unworkable)
    • Support self determination of devolved nations.
    • Give local government powers they need (note – just as vague as all parties)
    • Restore local aid, scrap anti protest laws
    • Supports self ID
    Perhaps you should just post the green manifesto....so unworkable
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Ed Davey
    @EdwardJDavey

2017?
    Tim Farron went round telling people that Theresa May was going to "steal your house".
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Stereodog said:

Sunak will play the role of crippled child, in the hope that the audience will pity him. He really is a long short streak of piss.
    Fixed for you...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,722

kle4 said:

I'd love it if he mis-speaks and misses the 'maker' off the end.

"My dad was a tool..." :)
    I give it six months before the voters think his dad made a tool....
  • Options
    Biggest response from the audience was when he showed a bit of fire and said the Tories should be booted out.
  • Options
    edited June 12
    Here we go, Suck Here private school killer.
  • Options

This format isn’t working. They are letting him waffle, but say nothing.

Applause for Beth for intervening and shutting him up.

I’m watching and he’s speaking pretty clearly.
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 303
    Someone was asking yesterday about constituencies where there might be odd results.
    May I give you two possible examples

1. Bromsgrove where Dr David Nicholl is a very well known local personality and already on the Council. Apparently the Labour candidate did a no show at the hustings last night.
    I have put some money on David at 150-1 on Ladbrokes

2. Hackney North, which has 30,000 ultraorthodox Jews in the constituency and one of their own is standing for the Conservatives. At 50-1 on Bet365

I have put my money where my mouth is on both.
  • Options

stodge said:

stodge said:

Evening all :)

I was wondering where the Labour activists in East London would go given there aren't too many marginal seats in the vicinity (apart from East Ham and its 33,000 majority of course).

Would they go to Romford or to Hornchurch & Upminster?

It seems not - the Newham Mayor and the Labour candidates for Stratford & Bow and West Ham & Beckton have headed to Colchester.

https://www.opennewham.co.uk/news/the-west-ham-and-beckton-campaign-is-getting-personal

James Cracknell, the new Conservative candidate, is defending a 9,400 majority - Labour needs a swing of 8.8% to take the seat so should be quite achievable on current numbers. It is the 136th most marginal Conservvative seat (or the 236th safest if you prefer).

A very thin excuse for a jolly if you ask me, Stodge.

Colchester can be pretty wild on a Wednesday night.
    You seem to speak from experience.

I wouldn't know - one place I wouldn't be next Wednesday is Ascot. I can't remember if Flat racing was your interest or whether it was the jumps.

It'll be a welcome break from the election to do some proper punting.
    To me the flat was always just a way of passing time through the summer until the proper stuff started.

Always hated Ascot. The rebuild was a disaster. For flat racing, you can't see anything unless you are in the Royal Box. Perversely it wasn't so bad for the jumps because you had such small crowds you could easily find a decent spot. They always treated us jumps fans as plebs though, so I generally avoided the place.

I was always a Sandown man. Has everything, although it is probably due for a rebuild soon.
    I agree with your assessments of Sandown and Ascot. Sandown is top drawer viewing. Ascot gets away with it for the jumps. Newbury is a car crash.

But I’m a Ludlow man first and foremost. Tremendous view off the stands.
  • Options

Rubbish answer, Starmer. He doesn’t get it.

Individual and State socialism.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,016
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

On the Green Party manifesto:

Does "ban on all blood sports" include fishing?

The Green Party is fundamentally opposed to all blood sports and would campaign to introduce
    a ban on all hunting in the first year of a new parliament. This includes trophy hunting, trail
    hunting, where dogs are used to track foxes, and the commercial shooting of game birds.
    The Green manifesto is very far left.
    Particularly like the idea of mandating that private business must have a 10:1 salary ratio. Public sector as a government is up to the government, but private companies? Feck off. They really are just a bunch of communists masquerading as green warriors.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,403

EPG said:

EPG said:

Talking of dickheads...

Police say they are aware an internet prankster has seemingly been registered to stand as a general election candidate in multiple constituencies.

The name of YouTuber Niko Omilana, who stood in the London mayoral election three years ago, is on the ballot as an independent in at least 11 constituencies.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cm55x95xj54o

I never knew it was illegal to stand in more than one constituency. Seems a bit much.
    Electoral commission cites 1983 edition of Representation of the People Act.

Note that in 1918 general election, Eamon de Valera ran for and was elected SF MP for East Clare (his home seat which he was still representing as FF TD until 1959 when he was elected President) and also Mayo East, where he defeated John Dillon who was leader (briefly) of the rival (and soon defunct) Irish Parliamentary Party.
    I know you and I have each been following the Irish local elections this weekend - where plural candidacies are very much a thing.

https://www.rte.ie/news/elections-2024/2024/0610/1454032-election-2024-south-dublin-co-council-results-round-up/
    "Former MMA (mixed martial arts) fighter and Independent Councillor Patrick Holohan enjoyed huge success, topping the vote in Tallaght South and claiming a second seat in Tallaght Central. This creates an interesting situation for South Dublin Council, as Mr Holohan will now have the option to co-opt someone to occupy the seat he chooses not to take. However, they will have to be ratified by their fellow councillors."
    What happens if an Independent councilor dies? By-election or does some randomer get co-opted in?
    It appears that each council must make standing orders about how to co-opt a replacement for a non-party councillor. You'd imagine they talk to the election agent, political campaign team, next of kin, etc.
  • Options

I'm a few minutes behind now, but Starmer seems to be connecting well with the general public. He seems to be dealing with the VAT question pretty well and, sensitively.
  • Options
    Dentist list. Patsy questions.
  • Options
    Starmer is so much better with the audience questions than he is with Beth’s. Sky clearly picked the questions most likely to embarrass him and he’s being admirably honest with them.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Andrew Neil
    @afneil
    ·
    3h

Neil is shitstirring, for those not paying attention.
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 987
    The not allowed to stand in more than one constituency thing came in later than I thought (I was sure I remembered that was why Sutch didn't stand in the 1997GE as I was working Yeovil and hoping that I would get to meet him). It's in the Representation of the People Act 1983, but that clause was inserted due to the Electoral Administration Act 2006.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/22/section/22
    Candidate not to stand in more than one constituency
    In Schedule 1 to the 1983 Act (parliamentary elections rules), in rule 8(3) (candidate's consent to nomination), after paragraph (b) insert—
    “(c)shall state that he is not a candidate at an election for any other constituency the poll for which is to be held on the same day as that for the election to which the consent relates,”.
    Came into effect 1st January 2007 for England, Wales and Scotland, 1st July 2008 for Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    Unpopular said:

I'm a few minutes behind now, but Starmer seems to be connecting well with the general public. He seems to be dealing with the VAT question pretty well and, sensitively.
    His politics just doesn’t understand aspiration though, does it. State or nothing.
  • Options
    Starmer absolutely superb on the audience Q&A. Labour’s team will be gutted this is on Sky not terrestrial telly,
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,490
    Starmer coming into his own now after the earlier Rigby mauling .
  • Options
    People have said for months 'There's no enthusiasm for Starmer like there was for Blair'

But historians often point out there wasn't a huge amount of Blair enthusiasm at the time either.

It wouldn't surprise me if, after a potential Labour 450+ seat victory, everyone for years to come will lionise Starmer.
  • Options

Come tomorrow you’ll be back to telling us Starmer’s performance was genius.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,834

Unpopular said:

I didn't have a dad and sky was that thing above the ground.
    I didn't have a sky. I was decanted from a vat into the molten blood of the Earth itself.
  • Options
    Stereodog said:

Starmer is so much better with the audience questions than he is with Beth’s. Sky clearly picked the questions most likely to embarrass him and he’s being admirably honest with them.

Till he uturns on those answers not like he hasn't got form for it, but then he is a politician and they are all lying little bitches
  • Options
    edited June 12
    viewcode said:
    Is that true. Boris got absolutely massive incoming all the time about Eton, Bullingdon, etc etc etc. What Boris did right was basically lean into it and what...well's your posh and stuff...right...and...your a fat posho...and....

The problem Sunak is he gets in a mess. When they really should have a positive story prepped about this, one that is true but sounds aspirational etc.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,403
    franklyn said:

Someone was asking yesterday about constituencies where there might be odd results.
    May I give you two possible examples

1. Bromsgrove where Dr David Nicholl is a very well known local personality and already on the Council. Apparently the Labour candidate did a no show at the hustings last night.
    I have put some money on David at 150-1 on Ladbrokes

2. Hackney North, which has 30,000 ultraorthodox Jews in the constituency and one of their own is standing for the Conservatives. At 50-1 on Bet365

I have put my money where my mouth is on both.

Before anyone rushes to follow you, I am pretty sure there aren't 30,000 Jews in Hackney North.
  • Options

Unpopular said:

His politics just doesn’t understand aspiration though, does it. State or nothing.
    I don't agree, but it doesn't matter; if that's where the public are, that's a good place for a politician to be!
This discussion has been closed.