Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

When political betting can get you into trouble – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,758
    edited June 12
    stodge said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

Evening all :)

I was wondering where the Labour activists in East London would go given there aren't too many marginal seats in the vicinity (apart from East Ham and its 33,000 majority of course).

Would they go to Romford or to Hornchurch & Upminster?

It seems not - the Newham Mayor and the Labour candidates for Stratford & Bow and West Ham & Beckton have headed to Colchester.

https://www.opennewham.co.uk/news/the-west-ham-and-beckton-campaign-is-getting-personal

James Cracknell, the new Conservative candidate, is defending a 9,400 majority - Labour needs a swing of 8.8% to take the seat so should be quite achievable on current numbers. It is the 136th most marginal Conservvative seat (or the 236th safest if you prefer).

A very thin excuse for a jolly if you ask me, Stodge.

Colchester can be pretty wild on a Wednesday night.
    You seem to speak from experience.

I wouldn't know - one place I wouldn't be next Wednesday is Ascot. I can't remember if Flat racing was your interest or whether it was the jumps.

It'll be a welcome break from the election to do some proper punting.
    To me the flat was always just a way of passing time through the summer until the proper stuff started.

Always hated Ascot. The rebuild was a disaster. For flat racing, you can't see anything unless you are in the Royal Box. Perversely it wasn't so bad for the jumps because you had such small crowds you could easily find a decent spot. They always treated us jumps fans as plebs though, so I generally avoided the place.

I was always a Sandown man. Has everything, although it is probably due for a rebuild soon.
    I agree with your assessments of Sandown and Ascot. Sandown is top drawer viewing. Ascot gets away with it for the jumps. Newbury is a car crash.

But I’m a Ludlow man first and foremost. Tremendous view off the stands.
    At last, a proper subject for debate.

Do they still allow you on the roof of the stand at Ludlow? One of the best views of jump racing anywhjere.

I'm not a fan of Ascot either and PtP is quite right about the rebuild. I went to the freebie organised by the Racegoers Club and it reminded me of a vast aircraft hanger. There used to be a lovely members room with wicker chairs and free hot food for reciprocal guests - Ascot back then was a class act.

Sandown viewing is first rate but it was designed to be a good viewing track. If you can get altitude Epsom is very good but I love Plumpton as you're close to the action as you are at Fontwell and down the Abbot.

My personal favourite is Goodwood on a fine sunny day from the top of the Sussex Stand - exceptional backdrop and view.
    Yes, you can still watch off the top of the stands at Ludlow. The view to Titterstone Clee and to Wenlock Edge is one of the finest views in England. Life affirming! I’ve only been to Plumpton once but I enjoyed it.

My favourite jewel in the rough is NH at Leicester. Went with no expectations but it’s a great course to watch at.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    Stereodog said:

I thought the audience reaction to Starmer was occasionally bad but this is so much worse for Sunak. The audience are just laughing and jeering.

There’s two aspects to this. Firstly everyone seems to sick of the Tories and Sunak is not a great PM (or even an average one). The other is that to be in the audience you are likely pretty politically engaged. I’m sure they’ve tried to balance the voting intentions, but there will be plenty of tribal activists in there, just like the weekly BBC question time audience.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077

Heathener said:

Jeers and getting shouted down.

It’s getting a bit brutal isn’t it?

Just one tiny audience.
    Representative presumably?

The Conservative’s polling suggests so.
  • PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 578
    edited June 12
    Stereodog said:

I thought the audience reaction to Starmer was occasionally bad but this is so much worse for Sunak. The audience are just laughing and jeering.

this is why I've been stunned at how many PBers have been saying the Tories will end up on 200-250 or thereabouts - a lot of people seem a lot more angry than in previous elections.
  • maxhmaxh Posts: 1,059
    On the net migration questions Sunak just looks utterly broken.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,350
    I don't really agree with idea that audiences can heckle etc. Its not a comedy show.

They should absolutely be allowed to ask a question and the politician should be expected to have back and forth with them i.e. not just take the question and go thanks Janice, and them never have the ability to dispute / follow up.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,603
    TimS said:

MikeL said:

Heathener said:

People Polling drops

Lab 39
    Con 19
    Reform 17

https://x.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1800960821763178604

Apologies if this was mentioned ages ago

Changes:

Lab 39 (-7)
    Con 19 (-1)
    Ref 17 (+3)
    That implies either Green or LD are significantly up.
    Lib Dems 10% and Others 13% in that poll
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,946

Stereodog said:

There’s two aspects to this. Firstly everyone seems to sick of the Tories and Sunak is not a great PM (or even an average one). The other is that to be in the audience you are likely pretty politically engaged. I’m sure they’ve tried to balance the voting intentions, but there will be plenty of tribal activists in there, just like the weekly BBC question time audience.
    Pantomime audiences make political stuff unwatchable
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    This leadership performance from Sunak tonight is a disgrace.

Everything about him is he doesn’t want to be there. Or doing this election.

Right here, right now, you can see why he called it early.
  • I'm not watching this because for me it seems pointless.
    MikeL said:

Heathener said:

People Polling drops

Lab 39
    Con 19
    Reform 17

Changes:

Lab 39 (-7)
    Con 19 (-1)
    Ref 17 (+3)
    Irrespective of the Tory woes (and being below 20 is a massive woe, when the floor was meant to be 30), Labour do seem to be drifting down. Not suprising as the public is finally paying attention to politics for a bit.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,978

Sunak repeats the weird line about being "the best country in the world to be a veteran".

It is so outrageously, demonstrably untrue it is utterly contemptible. The way we treat our ex-servicemen is beyond evil. Fo this absurd lie alone, Sunak should face obliteration.

I don't really agree with idea that audiences can heckle etc. Its not a comedy show.

They should absolutely be allowed to ask a question and the politician should be expected to have back and forth with them i.e. not just take the question and go thanks Janice, and them never have the ability to dispute / follow up.

I think a lot of people are just very angry at the moment. Sounded like an outburst.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,088

This leadership performance from Sunak tonight is a disgrace.

Everything about him is he doesn’t want to be there. Or doing this election.

Right here, right now, you can see why he called it early.

California Dreamin'.
  • DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 1,127
    franklyn said:

EPG said:

franklyn said:

Someone was asking yesterday about constituencies where there might be odd results.
    May I give you two possible examples

1. Bromsgrove where Dr David Nicholl is a very well known local personality and already on the Council. Apparently the Labour candidate did a no show at the hustings last night.
    I have put some money on David at 150-1 on Ladbrokes

2. Hackney North, which has 30,000 ultraorthodox Jews in the constituency and one of their own is standing for the Conservatives. At 50-1 on Bet365

I have put my money where my mouth is on both.

Before anyone rushes to follow you, I am pretty sure there aren't 30,000 Jews in Hackney North.
    How much is your bet, EPG? Largest orthodox community in Europe
    As you are doubling down on this, Hackney has less than 18,000 Jewish people total. Diane Abbott got 39,000 votes in GE19. Conservatives 7,000. If all Hackney's Jewish population lives in North, and they are all adults and they all voted Labour in GE19, and they all vote Conservative in GE24, then the Tories would win by 4,000. Seems like a lot of ifs.
  • ajbajb Posts: 141

What we need now is a leak from Sky accounts showing a Dr Sunak of Soton paying the premium sub covering the extra telly in your son's bedroom throughout the 90s

If you know his address, you might be able to spot a dish from satellite imagery from the period. Although that doesn't prove he was a subscriber of course.
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,860

I'm not watching this because for me it seems pointless.

Kind of morbidly wish I was now.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,444

TimS said:

MikeL said:

Heathener said:

People Polling drops

Lab 39
    Con 19
    Reform 17

Changes:

Lab 39 (-7)
    Con 19 (-1)
    Ref 17 (+3)
    Others was 1% in their previous poll, so Greens on 12%?

It isn’t. It’s fascinating.
    edited June 12
    Cicero said:

Sunak repeats the weird line about being "the best country in the world to be a veteran".

It is so outrageously, demonstrably untrue it is utterly contemptible. The way we treat our ex-servicemen is beyond evil. Fo this absurd lie alone, Sunak should face obliteration.
    If they had smarts, they could have come up with a policy along the lines of the US and say if you served will we pay your university fees should you want to do it upon completion.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,520
    Trend from polls seems to be Labour headed down towards 40/high 30s. Reform up, Tories stagnating in the doldrums. Still a bit of a question mark on the LDs.

TimS said:

MikeL said:

Heathener said:

People Polling drops

Lab 39
    Con 19
    Reform 17

Changes:

Lab 39 (-7)
    Con 19 (-1)
    Ref 17 (+3)
    Snp, Plaid, green, others - 3, 1, 8, 1 at a guess
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    In five years time, it'll be Farage doing these interviews.
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    MikeL said:

Heathener said:

People Polling drops

Lab 39
    Con 19
    Reform 17

Changes:

Lab 39 (-7)
    Con 19 (-1)
    Ref 17 (+3)
    I know people say this is churn, and people going from don't know to others, but some must be going from labour to reform

Yeah it is actually surprisingly compelling

Beth does have a sort-of, ‘you’re done mate’ air about her

TimS said:

MikeL said:

Heathener said:

People Polling drops

Lab 39
    Con 19
    Reform 17

Changes:

Lab 39 (-7)
    Con 19 (-1)
    Ref 17 (+3)
    Snp, Plaid, green, others - 3, 1, 8, 1 at a guess
    Oh yeah. Forgot about the SNP. One of the benefits of having moved away from Scotland.
    Sunak knows it’s still going up under his manifesto. Bad moment for him here. About as convincing as Rodney selling boss eyed exploding dolls.
    ajb said:

What we need now is a leak from Sky accounts showing a Dr Sunak of Soton paying the premium sub covering the extra telly in your son's bedroom throughout the 90s

If you know his address, you might be able to spot a dish from satellite imagery from the period. Although that doesn't prove he was a subscriber of course.
    Remember as well, there were multiple providers. Early on there was BSB and Sky.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,537
    DM_Andy said:

franklyn said:

EPG said:

franklyn said:

Someone was asking yesterday about constituencies where there might be odd results.
    May I give you two possible examples

1. Bromsgrove where Dr David Nicholl is a very well known local personality and already on the Council. Apparently the Labour candidate did a no show at the hustings last night.
    I have put some money on David at 150-1 on Ladbrokes

2. Hackney North, which has 30,000 ultraorthodox Jews in the constituency and one of their own is standing for the Conservatives. At 50-1 on Bet365

I have put my money where my mouth is on both.

Before anyone rushes to follow you, I am pretty sure there aren't 30,000 Jews in Hackney North.
    How much is your bet, EPG? Largest orthodox community in Europe
    As you are doubling down on this, Hackney has less than 18,000 Jewish people total. Diane Abbott got 39,000 votes in GE19. Conservatives 7,000. If all Hackney's Jewish population lives in North, and they are all adults and they all voted Labour in GE19, and they all vote Conservative in GE24, then the Tories would win by 4,000. Seems like a lot of ifs.
    From the 2021 Census:

Population of Hackney North and Stoke Newington: 134200
    Percentage ticking the Jewish box: 12.0%

So about 16000, not all of them of voting age. Not trivial, but not 30000.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    Nunu5 said:

MikeL said:

Heathener said:

People Polling drops

Lab 39
    Con 19
    Reform 17

Changes:

Lab 39 (-7)
    Con 19 (-1)
    Ref 17 (+3)
    I know people say this is churn, and people going from don't know to others, but some must be going from labour to reform
    I find it objectionable that a member of the BPC is deliberately only showing Reform and not the other two, simply to make his own political point.
    edited June 12
    Heathener said:

I think a lot of people are just very angry at the moment. Sounded like an outburst.
    No I'm with Francis. The camera just panned out after a heckler was heard and you could see a mic boom being brought over his head. They're encouraging the heckling. Maybe good for engagement but this isn't fair on Sunak imo.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,217
    tlg86 said:

Check this

Farage is genuinely popular, with some of Generation Z

https://x.com/thenorfolklion/status/1800912286204530963?s=61&t=GGp3Vs1t1kTWDiyA-odnZg
    Cicero said:

Beyond evil? A touch hyperbolic! What is it that has you so riled up?
    edited June 12
    Heathener said:

Presumably she won’t be asking about covid breaches, at least.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,963

The Russians are digging trenches to consolidate their recent gains in Kharkiv Oblast. 2.5km from the international border. I guess it makes sense to force Ukraine to make a costly assault on prepared defensive positions, albeit Russia has already suffered horrendous losses in their failed offensive on this front.

Sometimes it is easy to think that Russia is doing embarrassingly badly in the war, but they're still able to inflict heavy losses on Ukraine and occupy Ukrainian territory.

Yes, they have not achieved all they wanted, but they can and (sadly) probably will be able to hold onto a lot of what they've takenin the last few years.
  • AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,415
    MikeL said:

Heathener said:

People Polling drops

Lab 39
    Con 19
    Reform 17

Changes:

Lab 39 (-7)
    Con 19 (-1)
    Ref 17 (+3)
    Changes from when? And is it the same methodology?

Agh - Goodwin's tweet is completely useless!
    Beware the curve ball question.

Tell us something that will make us like you.

I eat a lot of sugar.

🤷‍♀️
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    People like you because you eat sugar.
    edited June 12

Heathener said:

Presumably she won’t be asking about covid breaches, at least.
    Now the media got their man in Boris, they don't want to talk about COVID full stop, as people might start to think back to their coverage. 18 months in, vaccination rolled out, and it was still full on, LOCCCCKKKKDOWWWWWNN yesterday.

There appears zero self reflection about how wrong the media got so much of COVID, and I don't mean that the situation changed, but every f##king day they couldn't read simple stats properly.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,378
    Hardly disastrous for Sunak.
    MikeL said:

Heathener said:

People Polling drops

Lab 39
    Con 19
    Reform 17

Changes:

Lab 39 (-7)
    Con 19 (-1)
    Ref 17 (+3)
    That is a MASSIVE drop in Labour VI. I said a couple of days ago they will be nervous at the slide and was decried on here, they will be more than nervous now

Omg it is excruciating to watch Sunak .... it is unpleasant.

Sunak isn't brilliant as a politician, but he has been made the sin eater for the failures of the tory party in my mind.

It would have taken an extraordinary politician to turn things around. An ordinary one would probably have lost. A bad politician would lose very badly, and it's where we hae ended up.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,454
    TimS said:

Nunu5 said:

MikeL said:

Heathener said:

People Polling drops

Lab 39
    Con 19
    Reform 17

Changes:

Lab 39 (-7)
    Con 19 (-1)
    Ref 17 (+3)
    I find it objectionable that a member of the BPC is deliberately only showing Reform and not the other two, simply to make his own political point.
    Goodwin holds the unenviable crown of being the only BPC pollster PBers are allowed to challenge as being disingenuous.
  • GaussianGaussian Posts: 823
    tlg86 said:

He'll be Trump's Gauleiter for Britain, so probably won't bother with interviews.
  • Brutal first question.
    Nunu5 said:

MikeL said:

Heathener said:

People Polling drops

Lab 39
    Con 19
    Reform 17

Changes:

Lab 39 (-7)
    Con 19 (-1)
    Ref 17 (+3)
    The previous several polls from People Polling all had high Labour scores so this looks like a pretty hefty change. Those scores were: 46, 45, 46, 45.

If the Tories weren't also down since the start of the campaign then you'd definitely expect some panic in Labour ranks.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,274
    The "huge majority" schtick is spreading:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c9rrwe0ne7ro

"Plaid urge Welsh voters to stop a 'huge Labour majority'"

I think it is on basis his party and media support will be furious with this performance.
    AlsoLei said:

MikeL said:

Heathener said:

People Polling drops

Lab 39
    Con 19
    Reform 17

Changes:

Lab 39 (-7)
    Con 19 (-1)
    Ref 17 (+3)
    Changes from when? And is it the same methodology?

Agh - Goodwin's tweet is completely useless!
    The words tweet and is are superfluous
  • Big shout out for support for first time buyers buying houses up to 425k. In Grimsby. And people say he's out of touch.
    Farage is probably sitting at home absolutely loving this, just in time for Thursday's debate and before the Football comes and takes the national focus.
  • Matthew Goodwin is a moron. Why do people post anything he writes.
    edited June 12

I eat a lot of sugar.

🤷‍♀️

Surely everybody has a go to something that is interesting that will make people warm to you, because we all meet new people all the time and need an ice breaker...no?

If you have kids, you must have a cute thing you do with your kids story.
    carnforth said:

May work better for them than the Tories - ride the red wave and since it's Wales a few seats Labour voters may feel free to experiement with a bit of PC.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,238

I eat a lot of sugar.

🤷‍♀️

Admitting to liking a bit of white powder never did Michael Gove any harm, did it?
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,704

Big shout out for support for first time buyers buying houses up to 425k. In Grimsby. And people say he's out of touch.

We don't have stamp duty ATM, so why is this a tax cut?
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    Leon said:

MikeL said:

Heathener said:

People Polling drops

Lab 39
    Con 19
    Reform 17

Changes:

Lab 39 (-7)
    Con 19 (-1)
    Ref 17 (+3)
    That is a MASSIVE drop in Labour VI. I said a couple of days ago they will be nervous at the slide and was decried on here, they will be more than nervous now
    No. They won’t. I decried you then and I decry you now. This is a PP reversion to the mean from the stupid LAB VI they had before.
    Good answer from Sunak on NHS question.

But then he is running in that answer against his own parties record.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,978

Cicero said:

Seeing how ex-serviceman have actually been treated. Homeless, untreated PTSD, ignored by welfare, all the old veteren networks shut down... the list is long. Then this utter twat says how great everything is... words fail me.

Cicero said:

Being trained in Roman oratory I'm not surprised Cicero may indulge in a bit of hyperbole.

Farage is probably sitting at home absolutely loving this, just in time for Thursday's debate and before the Football comes and takes the national focus.

What debate is on tomorrow? I wasn’t aware of that.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,088

TORY MAJORITY NAILED ON! :lol:
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

MikeL said:

Heathener said:

People Polling drops

Lab 39
    Con 19
    Reform 17

Changes:

Lab 39 (-7)
    Con 19 (-1)
    Ref 17 (+3)
    No. They won’t. I decried you then and I decry you now. This is a PP reversion to the mean from the stupid LAB VI they had before.
    Of course, dear. You’re not nervous at all

I eat a lot of sugar.

🤷‍♀️

Admitting to liking a bit of white powder never did Michael Gove any harm, did it?
    I think he actually meant sugar.

What’s the price of Haribo on the street.

Itvs 7 way debate
    Leon said:

MikeL said:

Heathener said:

People Polling drops

Lab 39
    Con 19
    Reform 17

Changes:

Lab 39 (-7)
    Con 19 (-1)
    Ref 17 (+3)
    Nah. Only if it continues into next week, AND the Tory share rises a little bit

Itvs 7 way debate
    I thought we’d already had that?
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,902
    I thought Beth was giving him an easy time and should have backed him into a corner over D Day .

He then fell apart when it came to his pledges . And Beth was even kind to him about growth . Sunak came across as tetchy and putting on a fake smile .
  • Big shout out for support for first time buyers buying houses up to 425k. In Grimsby. And people say he's out of touch.

We don't have stamp duty ATM, so why is this a tax cut?
    He's not bringing the tax back, so he's selling it as a cut.

I eat a lot of sugar.

🤷‍♀️

Surely everybody has a go to something that is interesting that will make people warm to you, because we all meet new people all the time and need an ice breaker...no?

Maybe, but it's like a job interview style what is your main weakness question, easy to muck up.

"I'm really smart" might be a real reason for people to like him, but it'd look terrible to some no doubt. Say he likes some popular tv show or musician and probably get railed at by the creators for being a horrible Tory.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,539

Matthew Goodwin is a moron. Why do people post anything he writes.

I think you'll need to expand on that.
    nico679 said:

I thought Beth was giving him an easy time and should have backed him into a corner over D Day .

He then fell apart when it came to his pledges . And Beth was even kind to him about growth . Sunak came across as tetchy and putting on a fake smile .

Sunak does the weird grin when he is nervous / under pressure.
    I think we forget how much of UKIP's vote came from Labour voters.

Why can't the same happen again?

Itvs 7 way debate
    I thought we’d already had that?
    Bbc? It's whichever one the other one wasn't lol
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,902
    I’d be shocked if Sunak wins this in the viewers poll.
  • novanova Posts: 672
    Leon said:

MikeL said:

Heathener said:

People Polling drops

Lab 39
    Con 19
    Reform 17

Changes:

Lab 39 (-7)
    Con 19 (-1)
    Ref 17 (+3)
    If the numbers are going to Reform and Lib Dems, Labour's biggest worry will what they do with their even larger majority.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,667

Omg it is excruciating to watch Sunak .... it is unpleasant.

Sunak isn't brilliant as a politician, but he has been made the sin eater for the failures of the tory party in my mind.

He is the failure of the Tory Party. He was Chancellor through the wasted Boris years and has done the square root of FA since becoming PM. Now he's finishing the party off as a force in parliament with his stupid 'I'm off to America' election.
    Can we rewatch these anywhere? I missed Starmer.

I realise this could fall into 'LMGTFY' but I have tried, honest!
    Cicero said:

Cicero said:

Seeing how ex-serviceman have actually been treated. Homeless, untreated PTSD, ignored by welfare, all the old veteren networks shut down... the list is long. Then this utter twat says how great everything is... words fail me.
    Homelessness is not a simple fix though, is it, nor is PTSD. As to veterans networks - are you claiming the Tories closed things down?
    I’m not agreeing with Sunak - he’s taking a few small changes and claiming a huge amount, but you might be being a touch harsh.
    Leon said:

MikeL said:

Heathener said:

People Polling drops

Lab 39
    Con 19
    Reform 17

Changes:

Lab 39 (-7)
    Con 19 (-1)
    Ref 17 (+3)
    It might be the case were Labour bleeding votes to the Tories. But they can still afford to lose much more and come out with a comfortable majority.

And Labour haven't even launched their manifesto yet - they'll probably see a bounce from that too.
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

MikeL said:

Heathener said:

People Polling drops

Lab 39
    Con 19
    Reform 17

Changes:

Lab 39 (-7)
    Con 19 (-1)
    Ref 17 (+3)
    If you look back you’ll find lots of Labour posters laughing at the stratospheric Labour numbers the ludicrous Goodwin was posting a few weeks back.

Labour have lost 3 points or so this week. Not cause for any panic.
    edited June 12
    kle4 said:

I eat a lot of sugar.

🤷‍♀️

Maybe, but it's like a job interview style what is your main weakness question, easy to muck up.

"I'm really smart" might be a real reason for people to like him, but it'd look terrible to some no doubt. Say he likes some popular tv show or musician and probably get railed at by the creators for being a horrible Tory.
    When a politician says they like a band or tv show and the people in involved in it spit their dummy, it looks worse on them than it does the politician. It looks petty and also make them appear like they don't actually want anybody but those with a very narrow politician view to enjoy their art. Its basket of deplorables stuff.

And as we are seeing with Doctor Who ratings, not sure it works out well in the end telling people not to watch it and to go touch grass.
    carnforth said:

Given that I don't think there's a particularly strong attachment to voting for Labour, as opposed to voting against the Tories, I think there's a real chance this could save a very large number of Tory seats, and maybe even bring about a Hung Parliament.

It's a fascinating example of how voting intentions in FPTP are distorted by how people think other people will vote, and how they balance what they want to vote for, as opposed to what they want to vote against.
    Nunu5 said:

I think we forget how much of UKIP's vote came from Labour voters.

Why can't the same happen again?

It could. But when Labour are running so far ahead and Reform are pitching much more to Tory voters than Labour, a) will it? b) even if it does, they are so far ahead will it prevent a win?
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,861

People like you because you eat sugar.

Vote Conservative. Because we're not sweet enough already.
    The audience questions have been very good.

NB I never watch these kinds of things. Haven’t seen Question Time.
  • DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 1,127
    maxh said:

It's on YouTube, https://youtu.be/vGcVqGfvI8U You can start at the beginning and watch at double speed.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,520
    edited June 12
    Leon said:

MikeL said:

Heathener said:

People Polling drops

Lab 39
    Con 19
    Reform 17

Changes:

Lab 39 (-7)
    Con 19 (-1)
    Ref 17 (+3)
    Frankly while they enjoy a gap of over 20% over their nearest rival they won’t be particularly perturbed.

If the Tories pulled it back a little and we saw something like 38/28 then yes there would be a need to worry.

Or if Farage does manage his leapfrog and you get Ref in the mid 20s. Baxter thinks Ref have to be getting into the high 20s before they start winning a significant number of seats - in actuality, given their vote is quite concentrated in certain areas a score like that would start really throwing up some wacky results all over the place and I suspect net them a decent haul.
    DM_Andy said:

maxh said:

It's on YouTube, https://youtu.be/vGcVqGfvI8U You can start at the beginning and watch at double speed.
    You can also run the slider on Sky News live back to the beginning - online I mean

https://news.sky.com/
    Heathener said:

The audience questions have been very good.

NB I never watch these kinds of things. Haven’t seen Question Time.

Ever? Add in a lack of knowledge of To The Manor Born and I’m starting to think you just don’t watch TV at all!
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    Why is a pollster who only releases the figure for LAB, CON and REF in the BPC. Can we have even a smidgen of other data?
    Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

MikeL said:

Heathener said:

People Polling drops

Lab 39
    Con 19
    Reform 17

Changes:

Lab 39 (-7)
    Con 19 (-1)
    Ref 17 (+3)
    Nah. Only if it continues into next week, AND the Tory share rises a little bit
    Labour haven’t won a general election in about six centuries. They are nervous congenitally. They are also used to surprising defeats by the Tories, it’s in their DNA. See the entire commentary of @SouthamObserver passim, it’s either massive anxiety attacks or overly cheerful whistling and wishcasting

Don’t get me wrong, I still expect Labour to win this easily. But maybe not at as easily as we all anticipated

More pertinently, the idea a party - any party - will look at a legitimate poll and see a SEVEN point drop and just shrug and chuckle and say “Yeah, whatever, it means nothing, we’re bound to win” that is absurd. They will be wobbling in Labour HQ - and rightly - all polls show them sliding

They’re still gonna win tho
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

MikeL said:

Heathener said:

People Polling drops

Lab 39
    Con 19
    Reform 17

Changes:

Lab 39 (-7)
    Con 19 (-1)
    Ref 17 (+3)
    What kind of numbers do you think Labour could drift out too, and (presumably) the Tories gain, to bring the majority into question?

I'm sure if we Baxter them it will still bring a sizeable Labour majority

kle4 said:

I eat a lot of sugar.

🤷‍♀️

When a politician says they like a band or tv show and the people in involved in it spit their dummy, it looks worse on them than it does the politician. It looks petty and also make them appear like they don't actually want anybody with a very narrow politician view to enjoy their art. Its basket of deplorables stuff.

You'd hope so, but I feel like more often than not the politician, by virtue of being less popularity than a celebrity, still takes a hit.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,603
    Sean_F said:

I’ve decided. I really hope Reform kills off the Conservative Party at this election. The Conservatives have to die ( ex-councillor and constituency association chairman).

@Benpointer has a nice preview of your wish coming true:

https://x.com/TorinPhable/status/1800226199047901292
    edited June 12
    maxh said:

It’s hard to find Sky programmes on catch up. I am a subscriber on Virgin cable and don’t have that facility as far as I know.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    What odds this Tory doesn't turn out to be a Tory?
This discussion has been closed.