Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The East Midlands Flipchart? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,827
edited June 16 in General
imageThe East Midlands Flipchart? – politicalbetting.com

Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire are in part a section of the Red Wall. At present we have 22 MPs, 5 in Nottingham and Derby, and the other 17 in County seats.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,207
    First
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,216
    Reform will abolish IR35
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,023

Reform will abolish IR35

Reform are giving everyone their favourite unicorn policy...
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,418
    https://x.com/LukeTryl/status/1800232557612536095?s=19
    Confirmation from last thread of methodology change from MiC
    Savanta are also moving across to prompting the actual ballots now SOPNs are out
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,630
    Don't worry, I won't repost all the LD Manifesto posts.

Overall impression is it was longer than it needed to be, a lot of really vague stuff but some detail sprinkled through. Too much about creating new bodies and roles and light on funding, but that's not unusual. Political reform stuff clearer as you'd expect from LDs, and the housing part was frustratingly vague - it was not openly NIMBY at least, but its ambitions were pointless without being explicit about how to achieve the targets.

All in all it had sufficient detail to be made use of, but was rather forgettable.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,207
    kle4 said:

Overall impression is it was longer than it needed to be, a lot of really vague stuff but some detail sprinkled through. Too much about creating new bodies and roles and light on funding, but that's not unusual. Political reform stuff clearer as you'd expect from LDs, and the housing part was frustratingly vague - it was not openly NIMBY at least, but its ambitions were pointless without being explicit about how to achieve the targets.

All in all it had sufficient detail to be made use of, but was rather forgettable.

What was?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The simple answer to me is that any manifesto that says review HS2 is neither use nor ornament.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,568
    edited June 10
    This is my patch - Think Ashfield will go to Reform - The seat makes neighbouring Mansfield look like Chelsea. Anything odds against on Ashfield is good value . Some find the indie controversial as well.
    I used to live in Rushcliffe and it is full of yummy mummies and daddies with kids - It will go Labour I think as Ken Clarke had a big personal vote and that takes two elections to totally unwind , also the tories have lost young well to do families in their quest to keep pensioners on board. If Reform take off further they could take Mansfield.
    PS I now live in the Castle Ward of the City which is now under Nottingham East (despite being if anything west ). I will be voting Reform especially as the Tory candidate picture has him wearing a hoodie and looking about 20 (show some respect to the electorate young man!)
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

nico679 said:

https://x.com/alexwickham/status/1800199198354317476?s=19

Cleverley pulled out of an intvw last minute this pm. I think a manifesto rewrite/write in is underway

Probably a last minute change to include something on IHT.
    Full compensation package for all WASPI women, matching the Lib Dems
    A good reason to vote against anyone proposing this
    You may not have many options in that case. Brexit Party in 2019 even said they would 'review' it.
    https://www.thebrexitparty.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Contract-With-The-People.pdf
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,057
    eek said:

Reform will abolish IR35

PR is their policy that I like.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,478
    It might help Labour going last in the publishing of the manifestos . Maybe they’ll do a last minute change if needed .
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,216
    nico679 said:

It might help Labour going last in the publishing of the manifestos . Maybe they’ll do a last minute change if needed .

If the Tories announce rock, they'll go with paper. If the Tories announce scissors, they'll go with rock.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,112
    kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

nico679 said:

Cleverley pulled out of an intvw last minute this pm. I think a manifesto rewrite/write in is underway

You may not have many options in that case. Brexit Party in 2019 even said they would 'review' it.
    https://www.thebrexitparty.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Contract-With-The-People.pdf
    I have already said I am no longer bothering to vote because its pointless, I will resume when there is someone actually worth voting for and that isnt going to be labour, tories, lib dems, reform or greens
  • Options
    nico679 said:

No need, but theirs is the only one to bother reading as it is pretty nailed on that they will have a majority.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

They can't. They've already had the Clause V meeting. If they slip out a different version the unions will revolt
  • Options
    In other stable news, I don't think Trump bigs up his ability to unite people enough - getting marxist factions to agree with one another is hard enough without uniting them with Fascists too. Hasn't happened in 80+ years.

Can you believe this, Friend?

I'm actually about to speak to a probation officer after my RIGGED CONVICTION!

My only crime? Putting the AMERICAN PEOPLE, ahead of the COMMUNISTS, MARXISTS, AND FASCISTS that want to see our country DESTROYED.

https://nitter.poast.org/RonFilipkowski/status/1800171011004080526#m
  • Options
    James_MJames_M Posts: 76
    The Lib Dem manifesto summaries were great, thank you! Reassures me that despite my lack of enthusiasm, my vote for the Conservatives versus the Lib Dem challenger in my seat is right. The Lib Dem policies on the EU, a written constitution etc just do not speak to me. I am a self declared moderate conservative, but the second part of that label is as important. The Lib Dems don't offer me much, despite periodic good policies.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,189
    kle4 said:

I thought it was a decent effort and light years in front of the 2019 manifesto.

I hope you will apply the same level of intellectual rigour/disdain/contempt (delete as appropriate) to the Conservative and Labour offerings.
  • Options
    stodge said:

kle4 said:

I thought it was a decent effort and light years in front of the 2019 manifesto.

I hope you will apply the same level of intellectual rigour/disdain/contempt (delete as appropriate) to the Conservative and Labour offerings.
    I did in 2015, 2017, and 2019. Greens and Reform will be on the list as well.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,200
    kle4 said:

It would certainly serve them poorly if they were likely to find themselves in the position of being potential coalition partners.

But... they're not, are they?

Given the circumstances, going for a broad but shallow platform is probably sensible as it gives them the best base from which they can pick and choose policies to develop further whenever the opportunity arises.

I'd expect the Greens to produce something similar (though longer and woollier!). Refuk probably should too, though they probably don't have the capacity to do so.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

In other stable news, I don't think Trump bigs up his ability to unite people enough - getting marxist factions to agree with one another is hard enough without uniting them with Fascists too. Hasn't happened in 80+ years.

My only crime? Putting the AMERICAN PEOPLE, ahead of the COMMUNISTS, MARXISTS, AND FASCISTS that want to see our country DESTROYED.

With that attitude he's going to end up as redeemable so off to jail....
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,486
    Labour has dropped a plan to reintroduce a cap on how much people are allowed to save into their pensions before paying tax.

Under the pensions lifetime allowance, pension pots over £1.07m faced an annual tax of £40,000 on average.

The cap was scrapped in April but Shadow chancellor Rachel Reeves had vowed to bring it back, saying it could raise £800m a year.

However, her party has now reversed the decision ahead of the release of its manifesto on Thursday, reportedly because the cap would add uncertainty for savers and be complex to reintroduce.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cd11n2krmm4o

Do Starmer and Reeves have the courage to do anything ?
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,394
    The one thing that could prevent a clean sweep in D2N2 is derby south. (stay with me here)

Yes labour has a big majority here and in a red tsunami election they should hold on easily but...

Baggy Shanker is not popular, certainly not as popular as Beckett was. He's a known quantity locally as he's the leader of the local council but has been involved at all stages in the mess of the Sinfin incinerator. This has led to calls for a VoNC (see here https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/derby-news/opposition-calls-emergency-meeting-over-9326915 )

Reform do hold a number of the councillors in some of the wards of the seat. and have been canvassing actively

I live in a ward which has only returned Labour councillors in the last 20 years and Baggy Shanker has canvassed my street twice since the start of the campaign. I think he's worried about keeping RefUK at bay. I've had 4 bits of stuff through the door from labour

and this LibDem style abuse of a bar chart from RefUK.
    https://x.com/spudgfsh/status/1799572893828780540
  • Options

Labour has dropped a plan to reintroduce a cap on how much people are allowed to save into their pensions before paying tax.

Under the pensions lifetime allowance, pension pots over £1.07m faced an annual tax of £40,000 on average.

The cap was scrapped in April but Shadow chancellor Rachel Reeves had vowed to bring it back, saying it could raise £800m a year.

However, her party has now reversed the decision ahead of the release of its manifesto on Thursday, reportedly because the cap would add uncertainty for savers and be complex to reintroduce.

Implement it and their plans for keeping NHS doctors continuing to work would have been destroyed.
  • Options
    AlsoLei said:

kle4 said:

It would certainly serve them poorly if they were likely to find themselves in the position of being potential coalition partners.

But... they're not, are they?

Given the circumstances, going for a broad but shallow platform is probably sensible as it gives them the best base from which they can pick and choose policies to develop further whenever the opportunity arises.

I'd expect the Greens to produce something similar (though longer and woollier!). Refuk probably should too, though they probably don't have the capacity to do so.
    Brexit Party went super short last time, 24 pages including pictures and the cover. I would not be surprised if they went cut down again.

Greens have somtimes been very detailed, including financial tables and everything, and they earned points by hyperlinking their sections last time.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

They've also got the most cumbersome process to get it approved. The Clause V meeting happened on Friday, so it's extremely unlikely that any further changes can be made - being last to publish is purely a presentational matter.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,622
    kle4 said:

Who’s he addressing ?
    He doesn’t have any friends. Only acolytes.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,716
    edited June 10
    It hasn't been an inordinately interesting day for news or surprising policy announcements. The LD manifesto is long ; Refuk have apologised for the Hitler deal incident and the Tories don't seem to be pursuing it hard ; and Charlie Mullins of Pimlico Plumbers is asking Boris Johnson to join Farage in Reform. "That way they'll get to Number 10".

Any more polls, waiter ? I'm getting hungry again.
  • Options

Safe for you to vote Starmer then!
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,627
    edited June 10
    James_M said:

The Lib Dem manifesto summaries were great, thank you! Reassures me that despite my lack of enthusiasm, my vote for the Conservatives versus the Lib Dem challenger in my seat is right. The Lib Dem policies on the EU, a written constitution etc just do not speak to me. I am a self declared moderate conservative, but the second part of that label is as important. The Lib Dems don't offer me much, despite periodic good policies.

I guess this isn’t meant to be taking a personal pop, although it may come across as acerbic, but in your 5 short sentence summary of your decision to vote Conservative. You use ‘me’, ‘I’, and ‘my’ x 7 times.

Absolutely nothing about others.

Not sure that has anything to do with the kind of Cameron Big Society Conservatism or One Nation Toryism. Just sounds like ‘me, me, me.'
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,478

nico679 said:

They can't. They've already had the Clause V meeting. If they slip out a different version the unions will revolt
    What if the addition was something unions liked and they agreed to a last minute change . Is this clause 5 set in stone .
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,608

That really is pathetic. ISAs have ended up becoming a massive benefit for the rich and only ho hum for middle earners. Of course there should be a cap.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,277
    Red Robbo v Rishi Rich...
  • Options
    Sunaks up. Get your popcorn out!
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,075

Reform will abolish IR35

LibDems are the party of entrepreneurship. Unlike the Tories. We’re pledged to reform it
  • Options
    Cicero said:

That really is pathetic. ISAs have ended up becoming a massive benefit for the rich and only ho hum for middle earners. Of course there should be a cap.
    It's pensions not ISAs.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,279

It's not a terribly interesting day for news or surprising policy announcements. The LD manifesto is long ; Refuk have apologised for the Hitler deal incident and the Tories don't seem to be pursuing it hard ; and Charlie Mullins of Pimlico Plumbers is asking Boris Johnson to join Farage in Reform. "That way they'll get to Number 10".

Didn’t he bankroll Remain?
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,450
    Cicero said:

It is POSSIBLE that LAB will reduce the annual allowance from £60,000pa and/or restrict tax relief to 20% which will save HMT a fortune. Please note I haven't seen the manifesto!
  • Options

It hasn't been an inordinately interesting day for news or surprising policy announcements. The LD manifesto is long ; Refuk have apologised for the Hitler deal incident and the Tories don't seem to be pursuing it hard ; and Charlie Mullins of Pimlico Plumbers is asking Boris Johnson to join Farage in Reform. "That way they'll get to Number 10".

Hitler deal? What have I missed?
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,076
    Cicero said:

Which is all hunky-dory until you find that the surgeon who could save your life has taken early retirement.
  • Options
    edited June 10
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

What if the addition was something unions liked and they agreed to a last minute change . Is this clause 5 set in stone .
    It has to be signed off yeah, and if they had an emergency meeting to change it the headlines are immediately 'Labour rip up manifesto in panic' is it worth it?
  • Options
    edited June 10
    eek said:

Implement it and their plans for keeping NHS doctors continuing to work would have been destroyed.
    Its still pandering to the rich.

And anyone whose taxes are increased will know that they're having to pay more so that those with million quid pension pots don't have to.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,556

Did you do this one?

@YouGov
    Regardless of who you support, who do you think is running the worst general election campaign so far?

Conservative Party: 45% (+11 from 4 June)
    Labour Party: 9% (-1)
    Lib Dems: 3% (-2)
    Reform UK: 4% (=)
    SNP: 2% (-1)
    Plaid Cymru: 1% (=)
    Green Party: 2% (=)
    None of them: 9% (+1)
    Don’t know: 25% (-7)

https://x.com/YouGov/status/1800207880601161802
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,176
    Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

nico679 said:

I have already said I am no longer bothering to vote because its pointless, I will resume when there is someone actually worth voting for and that isnt going to be labour, tories, lib dems, reform or greens
    That’s pretty much where I am, voted labour in every general election since 87,

None of the above this time.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,181
    Ed Davey doing an interview on the spinning teacups: https://x.com/scottygb/status/1800231637265068343

I respect the strategy of realise that they have very little agency in this election so might as well try and win the picture editors over.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,606
    Good evening everyone.

About .. er .. 48th.

I'll pop back later to pick up any questions.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,716
    edited June 10
    Foxy said:

Hitler deal? What have I missed?
    One of the Refuk candidates said it would've been better to do a deal with Hitler, and one of their official spokesmen briefly actually backed him up on that for an hour or two, before they hastily backtracked and apologised. Johnny Mercer put out a combative statement about "Nazi apologism", the first such overt criticism of Reform, but CCHQ seems to have already dropped the issue.

Sunak should probably pursue it more if he wants to take them on patriotism and the military, as well as turn the tables on Farage after the D-Day criticism, but as a focus on a single candidate, rather than the striking original Reform statement basically justifying him, it hasn't figured much in the news, and perhaps the Tories are unsure about a full-frontal attack on Reform at this stage.
  • Options

eek said:

And anyone whose taxes are increased will know that they're having to pay more so that those will million quid pension pots don't have to.
    Funnily enough I'd be surprised if it did - people just retire/cut hours when they hit the cap - so there's a decent chance that Labour generously agreeing to not seize all of other peoples' money may result in higher tax take. We need to restore the incentive to work, not erode it further.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,879
    Foxy said:

Cicero said:

It's pensions not ISAs.
    It was a sensible change. The fact is that reinstating the cap but making exceptions for certain professions would have been horrendously complicated, and made very little difference.

The incumbent government always has a big advantage over the opposition when it comes to manifestos because they have the civil service available to number crunch and work through every policy. The opposition have a handful of spads if they’re lucky.

David Gauke was making this point on a podcast we were recording today (out Wednesday hopefully): no matter how well prepared an opposition is, it will arrive on day 1 at the Treasury and realise which of its policies actually work and which need rethinking.

You could say that’s the blob at work, but it happens. Fair play to Reeves for dropping it now rather than on first contact with government.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,189
    I have some small connection to the Amber Valley constituency which changes with the Government so Labour from 1997 to 2010 and Conservative ever since.

The Conservative share rose was 39% in 2010 to 64% last time and Labour require an 18.5% swing to recapture that seat which on current polls they should manage.

The Borough Council went Labour last year - the Conservatives lost 21 of their seats with Labour gaining 15. As far as I can see, Labour won most of the Wards in the constituency last year and did well in the Crich by-election in May.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Safe for you to vote Starmer then!
    I'm sure he'll manage without my vote :lol:

But if he's running scared now he's going to have problems when the real decisions have to be made and people have to suffer because of them.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Did you do this one?

@YouGov
    Regardless of who you support, who do you think is running the worst general election campaign so far?

Conservative Party: 45% (+11 from 4 June)
    Labour Party: 9% (-1)
    Lib Dems: 3% (-2)
    Reform UK: 4% (=)
    SNP: 2% (-1)
    Plaid Cymru: 1% (=)
    Green Party: 2% (=)
    None of them: 9% (+1)
    Don’t know: 25% (-7)

https://x.com/YouGov/status/1800207880601161802
    What I want to know is what the 6% who think the Tories are running the best campaign are smoking:

Regardless of who you support, who do you think is running the best general election campaign so far?

Conservative Party: 6% (-1 from June)
    Labour Party: 24% (-1 from June)
    Lib Dems: 7% (+2)
    Reform UK: 12% (+5)
    SNP: 1% (=)
    Plaid Cymru: 0% (=)
    Green Party: 3% (+1)
    None of them: 26% (-1)
    Don’t know: 20% (-5)

yougov.co.uk/topics/politic…

https://x.com/YouGov/status/1800207883411345895?t=ZxZlrGIwryTz0Pxf6TCjbA&s=19

• Options
    Not a fucking parody...

@MrHarryCole

NEW: Rishi Sunak: I am not a quinoa salad
  • Options

This is my patch - Think Ashfield will go to Reform - The seat makes neighbouring Mansfield look like Chelsea. Anything odds against on Ashfield is good value . Some find the indie controversial as well.
    I used to live in Rushcliffe and it is full of yummy mummies and daddies with kids - It will go Labour I think as Ken Clarke had a big personal vote and that takes two elections to totally unwind , also the tories have lost young well to do families in their quest to keep pensioners on board. If Reform take off further they could take Mansfield.
    PS I now live in the Castle Ward of the City which is now under Nottingham East (despite being if anything west ). I will be voting Reform especially as the Tory candidate picture has him wearing a hoodie and looking about 20 (show some respect to the electorate young man!)

The Park plus a few bits and mainly modern pieces !

I spent 6 months living at pretty much the closest house to the castle on Lenton Road when I was at University.
  • Options

eek said:

And anyone whose taxes are increased will know that they're having to pay more so that those with million quid pension pots don't have to.
    You do realise it was a Tory government that abolished the Lifetime Allowance last year?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,299
    I don't know if anyone's watching Rishi but he's not looking like a Prime Minister.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Not a fucking parody...

@MrHarryCole

eh?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,879
    edited June 10

Cicero said:

Which is all hunky-dory until you find that the surgeon who could save your life has taken early retirement.
    This isn’t ISAs, it’s the pension lifetime cap which means you actually start paying a very high marginal rate of tax if your pension rises above the ceiling.

There’s an argument for reducing the ISA allowance, though not much fiscal payoff because government only benefits many years hence when people cash in their non-ISA gains. Whereas pensions tax changes have a fiscal effect straightaway
  • Options
    On thread I think Ashfield may end up with a zany result - 32/28/20/15 kind of weirdness with places tbc, but the Leeanderthal has a chance. Its him or Lab I think, Zadrozny is yesterday's insurgent and the tides going out on the Tories
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,038

Heathener said:

James_M said:

I guess this isn’t meant to be taking a personal pop, although it may come across as acerbic, but in your 5 short sentence summary of your decision to vote Conservative. You use ‘me’, ‘I’, and ‘my’ x 7 times.

Not sure that has anything to do with the kind of Cameron Big Society Conservatism or One Nation Toryism. Just sounds like ‘me, me, me.'
    What a mean spirited post. Completely unnecessary
    Oh come on. It’s a fair observation. I’ve seen a lot worse on here. A LOT worse.
  • Options
    £2000. Bingo!
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 16,185
    In Ireland

> for first time since counting began, FF is now tied with FG =233 seats each with just 44 local council seats still undecided.

> in Euro election count for Dublin constituency, seems that only FF and FG have a realistic chance of winning the seat. HOWEVER, still at least theoretically possible for non-SF left candidate to pick up sufficient transfers to surge ahead in the final count. BUT do NOT hold yer breath!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,622
    AlsoLei said:

Scott_xP said:

Not a fucking parody...

@MrHarryCole

eh?
    There was a rumour going round ….
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

eek said:

And anyone whose taxes are increased will know that they're having to pay more so that those will million quid pension pots don't have to.
    Funnily enough I'd be surprised if it did - people just retire/cut hours when they hit the cap - so there's a decent chance that Labour generously agreeing to not seize all of other peoples' money may result in higher tax take. We need to restore the incentive to work, not erode it further.
    But that's not how it will look to those who do end up being hit by some tax increase.

Any change to salary sacrifice pension contributions will look very bad after this.
  • Options
    Roger said:

I don't know if anyone's watching Rishi but he's not looking like a Prime Minister.

I am watching. Its pretty unpleasant, sunak pleading it will be different next time for policy failure after policy failure.
  • Options
    edited June 10
    MattW said:

The Park plus a few bits and mainly modern pieces !

I spent 6 months living at pretty much the closest house to the castle on Lenton Road when I was at University.
    yes I live in the Park in a flat - I love the seasons there . I take it you used the "Narnia" entrance a lot
  • Options
    Irritating, argumentative, and patronising. I'm just totally fed up of Sunak on my TV.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,679
    Heathener said:

James_M said:

What about the 'you' in the first sentence?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Heathener said:

James_M said:

Oh come on. It’s a fair observation. I’ve seen a lot worse on here. A LOT worse.
    It's two footed and high. She's lucky to get away with a yellow.
    Criticising somebody for not being egalitarian enough in a post about how they have chosen to vote is petty in the extreme. She constantly goes on about attracting new people here and instantly jumps on someone with a few posts like that.
  • Options

Chameleon said:

eek said:

But that's not how it will look to those who do end up being hit by some tax increase.

Any change to salary sacrifice pension contributions will look very bad after this.
    So why did your government abolish the Lifetime Allowance while putting other people's tax up?
  • Options
    @MrHarryCole

NEW: make or break manifesto launch for Sunak tomorrow

Under-fire Tory chief will offer tax cuts for millions and a tough clampdown on soaring immigration in a last ditch effort to breathe life into his bid to remain PM

https://x.com/MrHarryCole/status/1800245556347879503
  • Options

Heathener said:

James_M said:

No the whole point was about the lack of society, or social conscience, or thinking about others in determining voting choice. The opposite therefore of mean spirited. If we are going to lift ourselves up as a country, and world, we have to start thinking about other people.

No man is an island,
    Entire of itself.
    Each is a piece of the continent,
    A part of the main.

• Options

Chameleon said:

eek said:

That's far too complex for the average voter to link cause and effect. 0 chance of it happening, far more likely they'd ascribe it to one of the 100 Labour policies that get more column inches than this. It's already been abolished so there'll be no further noise about it, unless Labour decide to make some.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Irritating, argumentative, and patronising. I'm just totally fed up of Sunak on my TV.

A cure is planned on July 4th...
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,038

DougSeal said:

Heathener said:

James_M said:

It's two footed and high. She's lucky to get away with a yellow.
    Criticising somebody for not being egalitarian enough in a post about how they have chosen to vote is petty in the extreme. She constantly goes on about attracting new people here and instantly jumps on someone with a few posts like that.
    You sound as performatively outraged as a teenage Mormon in a strip club.
  • Options

Reform will abolish IR35

LibDems are the party of entrepreneurship. Unlike the Tories. We’re pledged to reform it
    what does that mean then?
  • Options
    It’s okay @wooliedyed from your posts I don’t think you’d get the concept of social conscience or society, or think on any kind of global scale about how to resolve the problems ahead.

Therein lies part, although only part, of the reason for the death of the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,468

Lovely part of a handsome city. Have you eaten at World Service? I’ve heard good things…
  • Options

The Park, plus a few bits and mainly modern pieces on the City side.

I'm genuinely unsure which way Ashfield goes; my ideas have not changed but we'll see.

I had the first Ashfield Independent newspaper yesterday, and it is full of personal-type stuff about Jason Zadrozny ("delivers his promises"), anti-Lee Anderson and "voting Labour will let in Lee". Nothing about "political prosecutions of Jason Zadrozny" this time.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

eek said:

You do realise it was a Tory government that abolished the Lifetime Allowance last year?
    I do.

But I'm not a Tory.

And what I've repeatedly said is that the rich and property owners will need to pay more tax together with the poor and oldies receiving less money.

Once you start removing the financial hit from one group it becomes increasingly harder for others to accept it.

We really should be 'all in this together'.

One of the most malign things that the Conservatives did was to exempt oldies from any financial risk.
  • Options
    Sunak has a magic money forest.

All paid for by efficiency savings and cutting down on tax avoidance.
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 206
    eek said:

That's right. And if you give exemptions to Drs then why not headteachers, or senior healthcare workers, and why should only public sector workers get an exemption? A fight avoided
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,176
    Foxy said:

Roger said:

I am watching. Its pretty unpleasant, sunak pleading it will be different next time for policy failure after policy failure.
    Bake off here.

Sunak has lost. He has nothing of any interest to say now. The more people see him the less they seem to like him.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

James_M said:

No the whole point was about the lack of society, or social conscience, or thinking about others in determining voting choice. The opposite therefore of mean spirited. If we are going to lift ourselves up as a country, and world, we have to start thinking about other people.

No man is an island,
    Entire of itself.
    Each is a piece of the continent,
    A part of the main.

You have no idea whether the poster feels their voting choice is best for them, them and loved ones or for everyone as you didn't ask so you're on no position to pontificate on it like the arbiter of egalitarianism.
  • Options
    Sunak extraordinarily rubbish on housing, runs out the classic NIMBY lines - and he's wrong about the deposit being the issue... it's the income multiples often these days.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,443
    eek said:

Reform will abolish IR35

Reform can promise the moon on a stick, as can the LibDems and any party which isn't Labour or, well, this year that isn't Labour.

EXCEPT that Reform's manifesto does matter because it is not just pitched to voters but to Conservative MPs with a view to coming together and perhaps even merging after the election. We've heard people say after the 7-way debate that Penny Mordaunt seemed stilted, presumably struggling to remember CCHQ's "lines to take", whereas Nigel Farage rattled off conservative principles as if they were second nature: security; tackling crime and so on.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

It’s okay @wooliedyed from your posts I don’t think you’d get the concept of social conscience or society, or think on any kind of global scale about how to resolve the problems ahead.

Therein lies part, although only part, of the reason for the death of the Conservative Party.

Lol.
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 206
    Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

NEW: make or break manifesto launch for Sunak tomorrow

Under-fire Tory chief will offer tax cuts for millions and a tough clampdown on soaring immigration in a last ditch effort to breathe life into his bid to remain PM

https://x.com/MrHarryCole/status/1800245556347879503

If it doesn't include a blockbuster policy against IHT don't bother.
    That is the only policy that COULD save a few dozen seats and keep them viable for the long term (although they will lose anyway)
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,608
    TimS said:

Cicero said:

This isn’t ISAs, it’s the pension lifetime cap which means you actually start paying a very high marginal rate of tax if your pension rises above the ceiling.

There’s an argument for reducing the ISA allowance, though not much fiscal payoff because government only benefits many years hence when people cash in their non-ISA gains. Whereas pensions tax changes have a fiscal effect straightaway
    Fair point
  • Options
    stodge said:

I have some small connection to the Amber Valley constituency which changes with the Government so Labour from 1997 to 2010 and Conservative ever since.

The Conservative share rose was 39% in 2010 to 64% last time and Labour require an 18.5% swing to recapture that seat which on current polls they should manage.

The Borough Council went Labour last year - the Conservatives lost 21 of their seats with Labour gaining 15. As far as I can see, Labour won most of the Wards in the constituency last year and did well in the Crich by-election in May.

That's one I have seen both predictions for - Lab and Tory.
  • Options
    edited June 10

Lovely part of a handsome city. Have you eaten at World Service? I’ve heard good things…
    No but eat a lot at Browns and occasionally Harts - It is indeed a great part of the city and fortunate to commute to Leicester most days so love the walk through The Park towards the station - In the winter it is stilll dark and therefore (uniquely I think in the country ) totally gas lit with a burning amber glow
  • Options

Sunak has a magic money forest.

All paid for by efficiency savings and cutting down on tax avoidance.

A forest they've left untouched until now despite how it would have made things so much easier for them, and better for others.

That's excellent environmental management, letting that forest grow free and clear until now.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,299
    An extremely tough interview not handled well though in fairness it was vicious in parts.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,279

Heathener said:

James_M said:

Yes. I thought that. The post basically says “I am better than you and care about more people than you”.
  • Options
    What the ever-loving (expletive deleted) is a quinoa salad? Nick Robinson should be sacked for that - never mind anything else.
  • Options
    @mikeysmith

This feels quite a lot like watching someone interview ChatGPT pretending to be Rishi Sunak.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,406
    edited June 10
    I would not be surprised to see Newark flip to Labour. The seat has a history of bouncing back and forth between Tory and Labour.

Throughout the Wilson/Heath/Callaghan years it was solidly Labour with Ted Bishop
    Under Thatcher it was Tory with Richard Alexander
    In 1997 it was won by the ill starred Fiona Jones, one of Blair's Babes.
    In 2001 it was one of the very few seats won back by the Tories with Patrick Mercer becoming MP. He retained the seat in 2005 and 2010 before resigning in disgrace in 2013 and being replaced by the loathsome Jenrick.

Jenrick might have a 21,800 seat majority and have got 63% at the last election but as we all know 2019 was a lifetime ago politically and Jenrick is no where near as popular locally as he once was.

Yes he will probably win again but it is no where near as certain as the raw figures might indicate.
This discussion has been closed.