Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Last Laugh: Might Corbyn outpoll Starmer? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kinabalu said:

What a great tip from Q. If I wasn't banned from SkyBet I'd certainly do it.

Matched betting got me stake limited eventually on Sky
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 77,724
    edited May 23

BREAKING: Byline Times has now identified a second hi-viz jacket-wearing man asking questions of Rishi Sunak at this morning's event as local Conservative councillor Ben Hall-Evans

https://x.com/BylineTimes/status/1793603212630769816

Could they have started this campaign worse?

Do you actually think the majority of voters will even register this ? Or care ?
    Absolutely not. But it doesn't suggest to me that they've got a very component campaigning team, which does matter.
    This happens at almost every event at every election. Politicians don't allow themselves to be exposed to bear traps
    Actually i think if politicians can handle it, it can be a positive. Obviously Major and his soap box, but Cameron got ambushed by the Lib Dem activist who tried to use his disabled kid to shame Dave, but despite the media getting all excited at such a mic drop event, Cameron in the end came out of it fairly well as he was polite and engaged (despite the guy not doing it in good faith).
    Gordon Brown and Mrs Duffy has to be one of the bigger clangers.
    His problem was that he got caught letting out his real feelings for that demographic of people afterwards. The actual encounter was tricky, but not terrible.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,228

My post seems to have been lost.

Stewart - nor me - are saying we want a negotiated settlement in Russia/Ukraine, only that is the most realistic thing that will happen at this stage. I don't think any serious person honestly believes at this stage that this war will end unless that happens.

It's not what I want - and I am happy to be called an appeaser by the usual people, fine - but I don't think pointing out a realistic outcome is a bad thing.

Almost all wars end by negotiation

It’s when you negotiate that matters
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,310
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Taz said:

BREAKING: Byline Times has now identified a second hi-viz jacket-wearing man asking questions of Rishi Sunak at this morning's event as local Conservative councillor Ben Hall-Evans

So what, who really cares. People are not stupid. They will know this sort of thing goes on. This will not drive a single vote.
    That has gone on from time immemorial. The afficionados seem to think that things like this are killer points, and game changers, when they aren't. Not even something like Brown's encounter with Mrs. Duffy actually had any impact on the vote.
    I think it did to be honest.
    Labour still wound up on 30% which is pretty much where they started.
    Two things having contradictory impacts can net out to no change, but still have each had an impact.

I think it lost Brown any traditional swingback to the government that typically comes in campaigns (2017 being the noteworthy exception).
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,875
    edited May 23
    So hang on, Rishis big legacy smoking bill isn’t going to make it into law before the dissolution?

This really feels like he decided on the hoof. That seemed to be his Big Idea.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,232
    edited May 23

So for my patch of Norfolk, here are my initial predictions (will update mid campaign after getting some feedback and seeing polling)
    Norwich North - Lab gain
    Norwich South (my constituency) - Lab Hold, Greens second
    NW Nofollk - Con Hold
    SW Norfolk (Truss) - Con Hold
    Mid Norfolk - Con Hold
    South Norfolk - Lab Gain
    Broadland and Fakenham - Toss up Lab/Con lean Con
    Great Yarmouth - Toss up Lab/Con lean Lab
    North Norfolk - Toss up LD/Con lean LD
    Waveney Valley- Con win (new seat)

I'd be surprised if the Tories lose North and South Norfolk.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,314

Do you actually think the majority of voters will even register this ? Or care ?
    Absolutely not. But it doesn't suggest to me that they've got a very component campaigning team, which does matter.
    This happens at almost every event at every election. Politicians don't allow themselves to be exposed to bear traps
    Actually i think if politicians can handle it, it can be a positive. Obviously Major and his soap box, but Cameron got ambushed by the Lib Dem activist who tried to use his disabled kid to shame Dave, but despite the media getting all excited at such a mic drop event, Cameron in the end came out of it fairly well as he was polite and engaged (despite the guy not doing it in good faith).
    His problem was that he got caught letting out his real feelings for that demographic of people afterwards. The actual encounter was tricky, but not terrible.
    and then there was Prescott smacking the voter
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,667
    A minor issue in this election might be high levels of postal and proxy voting in Scotland. Some of the most interesting results might come in quite early on the night, but also scope for councils to get overwhelmed in the run up.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,293

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

My post seems to have been lost.

Stewart - nor me - are saying we want a negotiated settlement in Russia/Ukraine, only that is the most realistic thing that will happen at this stage. I don't think any serious person honestly believes at this stage that this war will end unless that happens.

It's not what I want - and I am happy to be called an appeaser by the usual people, fine - but I don't think pointing out a realistic outcome is a bad thing.

As I noted at the end of the last thread, the Korean war ended when the Koreans had enough of it; similarly with Vietnam and Afghanistan.
    (Though each of those conflicts was different from the others in various respects.)

For now, Ukraine does not wish to give in to Putin - which is what a deal now would require. And that's not going to happen unless the west actively forces them to do so.

It's pretty well meaningless to say that a negotiated settlement is the most realistic outcome, as that's true of the vast majority of conflicts. What we're arguing about is what happens before that.
    People are disagreeing about even that, as above.

The war cannot go on forever can it? The money will run out at some point. Do you think they'll be fighting for decades? What's your timeline?
    That depends on whether we give Ukraine the tools to defeat the invasion or not.
    They either win, or they lose; how long that takes is largely down to us. Unless Putin simply gives up, which seems highly unlikely.
    Okay so let's interrogate this a bit more, what tools do Ukraine need to win?
    This

Don't give them any ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiM-RzPHyGs
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,635

Actually i think if politicians can handle it, it can be a positive. Obviously Major and his soap box, but Cameron got ambushed by the Lib Dem activist who tried to use his disabled kid to shame Dave, but despite the media getting all excited at such a mic drop event, Cameron in the end came out of it fairly well as he was polite and engaged (despite the guy not doing it in good faith), and came across fairly well.

What is weird about Sunak is his family background was fairly normal upto 16, but he is mow clearly massively detached from normal life.
    I think the point being made is that the "bear trap" is being caught out being thrown low-ball questions by their own party hack posing as a member of the public.

You're talking about questions from a genuine member of the public or opposing party hack. I agree, a capable politician can come out of this okay. Often, people watching it will say, "I think the punter came across as bloody rude, and the politician listened, empaphised, and remained calm".

Actually, Brown with "that bigoted woman" was an example for the actual interaction. He was caught out by the hot mic afterwards... but he'd actually come across as perfectly fine with her, and she'd come across as rude and aggressive.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Question. If you Baxter today's YouGov poll you get to about 43 seats for the Tories.

Is there anyone who thinks this, or something approaching it, will actually occur?

No. Minimum seats for the Tories is probably around 160, similar to 1997.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,546

I think Brown v Mrs Duffy was a big negative for Brown - Prescott v the egg thrower was probably a positive for Prescott
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,608
    Scott_xP said:

@mikeysmith

There it is.

Literally day one of the campaign, failing to organise a piss-up in a brewery.

The Tories are very cunningly using the Argentina 2022 World Cup playbook this election. Start shockingly then slowly grind away and allow the tiny genius in the team to lead to eventual and surprise victory against the overwhelming favourites.

You just can’t see it yet.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,201
    I think I may have a £50 charity bet with someone on here that SKS falls short of the 12.9m that voted for Jezza in 2017.

Can't remember who though.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101
    Close of nominations in the 2024 general election is 4pm on Friday 7 June, 19 full working days before official polling day. So the political parties now have a full fortnight to pick and nominate their candidates, then get the signatures and submit the forms.…

By my reckoning Labour have about 100 vacancies still to fill, and the Conservatives 190, but new candidates are being announced every few minutes right now.

https://x.com/tomorrowsmps/status/1793563753717658027
  • Options

I think Brown v Mrs Duffy was a big negative for Brown - Prescott v the egg thrower was probably a positive for Prescott
    yes, probably but it was fun to watch.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,041

So for my patch of Norfolk, here are my initial predictions (will update mid campaign after getting some feedback and seeing polling)
    Norwich North - Lab gain
    NW Nofollk - Con Hold
    Mid Norfolk - Con Hold
    South Norfolk - Lab Gain

Thanks for sharing. The ones that I am most interested in are South Norfolk and Broadland. I have to admit that I understand the polling calculators show Lab winning, but I really struggle to actually see Lab winning these big rural seats. The one I would have expected to be more likely is NW Norfolk as at least there's a reasonable sized town in King's Lynn
    My reading is Labour fell away hard in NW Norfolk and its too far back this time.
    South Norfolk is full of a more Labour demographic, younger families and Bacon's personal vote goes.
    Broadland has parts of suburban Norwich which will go harder Labour this time (Catton, Spixworth etc) but the rural vote SHOULD hold it for Con
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,043
    https://x.com/tomlarkinsky/status/1793608546015490381

Rishi Sunak taking a brave approach to small talk at a brewery in Wales.

He asked workers if they're looking forward to 'all the football'. One quickly pointed out that Wales haven't qualified for the Euros 😬
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,809
    edited May 23
    So the SPIN spreads are up for GE seats. The midpoint is Starmer winning by the same margin as Blair did in 1997. My first thought is that's a nice Lab sell opportunity for "mountain to climb" punters. If they're right it's a good profit, and if they're wrong and Starmer actually does pull off a Blair style landslide, despite starting from miles further back, they're still flat.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,875
    Mrs Duffy aside, Brown actually managed to run a decent campaign in 2010. A Fear the Tories campaign.

Sunak will run a Fear Labour campaign, the question is whether it will be as effective. My suspicion is very much no.
    I still think around 200 seats for the Tories though. I am not convinced that they are at extinction level.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,372

So hang on, Rishis big legacy smoking bill isn’t going to make it into law before the dissolution?

Please tell me the public chess boards are safe!
  • Options
    edited May 23

and a terrible one , even if you believed in the cause (I don't) its hardly what the nation has been crying out for - Instead its typical of him - its safe ,unoriginal (NZ did it first) and liberal middle class so wont upset anyone in the professional protest payroll
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,201
    On Topic

Thanks PIP that is amazing value just took the 8/1 and I was offering someone on here evens
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,021

Taz said:
    I wonder what percentage are fruitcakes? I presume some journalist has now been tasked with the exciting job of reading through all their social media accounts.
    I expect a higher percentage than there will be in the two main parties and some hapless hack will be going through the social media history of all of the main parties candidates.

I wonder if they will get that many given someone here was saying they have to fund their candidacy.
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 2,105
    I see Eleanor Laing is standing down. The next parliament will require some new deputy speakers as Rosie Winterton is also going (announced some time ago)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,278
    Laing not standing
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Norwich North - Lab gain
    NW Nofollk - Con Hold
    Mid Norfolk - Con Hold
    South Norfolk - Lab Gain

North is knife edge
    South they lose Bacon's personal vote and there's a hardcore 40% non Tory vote with LDs getting squeezed out and the polling decline to factor in. Both going would not be a surprise to me but let's see the polling as we go
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Taz said:

So what, who really cares. People are not stupid. They will know this sort of thing goes on. This will not drive a single vote.
    That has gone on from time immemorial. The afficionados seem to think that things like this are killer points, and game changers, when they aren't. Not even something like Brown's encounter with Mrs. Duffy actually had any impact on the vote.
    You're quite right and this will be one of the more tedious parts of the campaign. Twitter will be full of this sort of junk.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 56,990

Well, SKS fans would certainly have to explain that.

Can you explain why? All that matters is whether you win a majority or not. As somebody formally of the "2017 was actually a win" narrative, I can see how insane it now sounds.
    It was a joke.
    Can I suggest an emoticon? I didn't read it as a joke and you often post in a serious manner so it is hard to read it.
    Sorry. Didn't think it was necessary as a well-worn meme on here.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Taz said:

Right now, the vibe is that Sunak is a laughing stock and the Tories are in chaos. So everything will be filtered through that lens.

At some point, the media attention will turn to Starmer as the prospective PM and gaffes (there will be some) that occur there.

I don't expect either to have much effect.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 4,020
    I should add this is probably my favourite bet of 2024 (and I doubt that will change). Partially because I think it is major value, and partially because it would be very funny if it came off.
  • Options
    (I should also add that the article was written pre-July announcement, hence the reference to December 2024 population numbers).
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn will announce that he is standing against Labour as an independent candidate, presenting a major headache for Sir Keir Starmer

https://x.com/Telegraph/status/1793617289767764143
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

algarkirk said:

Question. If you Baxter today's YouGov poll you get to about 43 seats for the Tories.

Is there anyone who thinks this, or something approaching it, will actually occur?

No. Minimum seats for the Tories is probably around 160, similar to 1997.
    People with this view should hammer the SPIN quote. They have Con seats at 145/153. So that's a profit (on buying) even if they sink to their minimum.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Taz said:

Right now, the vibe is that Sunak is a laughing stock and the Tories are in chaos. So everything will be filtered through that lens.

At some point, the media attention will turn to Starmer as the prospective PM and gaffes (there will be some) that occur there.

I don't expect either to have much effect.
    What happens when Starmer is revealed as a Mossad agent ?
  • Options
    Quincel said:

I should add this is probably my favourite bet of 2024 (and I doubt that will change). Partially because I think it is major value, and partially because it would be very funny if it came off.

The value is in bets like that.

I'm less interested in guessing bets on exact vote shares and seats (unless very clear value) because the MoE is potentially so broad.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 11,823

So Brown should have punched Duffy?
  • Options

Jeremy Corbyn will announce that he is standing against Labour as an independent candidate, presenting a major headache for Sir Keir Starmer

Im backing Jezza
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,303

I have wondered what Rishi Sunak actually went into politics for.

The one subject on which he is both knowledgeable and passionate is IT, which you don't need to be a politician for.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The one subject on which he is both knowledgeable and passionate is IT, which you don't need to be a politician for.
    So knowledgeable he couldn't figure out the backup function on WhatsApp works.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Norwich North - Lab gain
    NW Nofollk - Con Hold
    Mid Norfolk - Con Hold
    South Norfolk - Lab Gain

North is knife edge
    South they lose Bacon's personal vote and there's a hardcore 40% non Tory vote with LDs getting squeezed out and the polling decline to factor in. Both going would not be a surprise to me but let's see the polling as we go
    The problem for the LDs in North is that their strength was heavily based on Norman Lamb's personal vote.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

He should have given her a Rodney King-style beating.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,813

Im backing Jezza
    No shit
  • Options
    edited May 23
    Michael Matheson's gigantic suspension fits the crime.

You don't get away with lying to parliament, the press, and the First Minister.

Pressure to resign and have a by-election on the same day as the general (i.e. at no extra cost) will now be massive...

Utterly baffled by John Swinney's approach to this.

Maybe you could argue the 27 days is excessive. But there is no political capital to be gained from fighting this in the way he has.

SNP appear to have lost their senses

https://x.com/conor_matchett/status/1793605815619977657
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,608
    Sean_F said:

Is he knowledgeable and passionate about IT? I thought he was more of a numbers for analysing companies man and it’s showing that you can’t run a country the same way as a multinational.

We’ve seen quite a few successful top business types fail at politics, mind you we’ve seen lots of everyone fail at politics over the decades, maybe we need to try something new like ex footballers.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Farooq said:

He should have given her a Rodney King-style beating.
    It was very revealing for how the elites see those concerned about immigration though.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,387

Does that make much practicable difference? Jezza habitually voted against Labour governments anyway, so it's not as if Sir Keir will be experiencing anything new.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,110
    algarkirk said:

As we saw with Labour in Scotland in 2015, when you reach a certain low point with FPTP, all the dominoes can start to topple, so it's possible, but I think not.

YouGov overstated Labour by around 10% in the London Mayoral election. Doesn't necessarily mean the same applies with national voting intention of course...
  • Options
    Perth and Kinross-shire will be a fascinating seat to watch. Boundary changes have made is slightly better for the Tories.

Notional result 2019

SNP 45.3%
    Con 41.1%
    LD 8.0%
    Lab 5.0%
    Brexit 0.7%

https://electionresults.parliament.uk/elections/2409
  • Options
    Taz said:

Sean_F said:

Taz said:

You're quite right and this will be one of the more tedious parts of the campaign. Twitter will be full of this sort of junk.
    I don't even know why the remark in Wales is meant to be a "gaffe". Welsh people aren't just interested in the Wales football team.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Norwich North - Lab gain
    NW Nofollk - Con Hold
    Mid Norfolk - Con Hold
    South Norfolk - Lab Gain

North is knife edge
    The problem for the LDs in North is that their strength was heavily based on Norman Lamb's personal vote.
    Yes true but they have a very strong council presence and ground game and there is no Labour interest at all here
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,423
    edited May 23
    Not mentioned unless I missed it, however any depressed turnout due to Voter ID requirements is a small further tilt in favour of this tip. On May 4th that was put at -0.2%.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65602231

I'm on at a modest £25. Thanks Pip.

First toe in the water, except for Andy Street for next Tory leader at 100:1, since a slightly painful experience with the Theresa May election.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,278
    boulay said:

Sean_F said:

Is he knowledgeable and passionate about IT? I thought he was more of a numbers for analysing companies man and it’s showing that you can’t run a country the same way as a multinational.

We’ve seen quite a few successful top business types fail at politics, mind you we’ve seen lots of everyone fail at politics over the decades, maybe we need to try something new like ex footballers.
    Rashford's free this summer.
  • Options

Of course this isn't really a headache for Starmer at all. Rather an opportunity to push once more his message that Labour has changed and he is nothing like Corbyn. Even if he loses one seat, the media coverage is a boon in 630 seats elsewhere.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Sean_F said:

Hahaha, I just remembered that Sol Campbell exists
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,105
    Dame Eleanor Laing is calling it quits. That’s a pity as she was often far better in the Chair than Mr Speaker.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,043
    Sean_F said:

He’s David Cameron repeating as farce. He went into politics because he thought he’d be good at being Prime Minister.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,116

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    33m
    Dangerously dark mood amongst Tory MPs. Cold fury at what they see as Sunak bouncing them into an unwinnable election. Does not bode well for unity during the campaign. Would be amazed if we don’t see some sort of rupture before polling day.

https://x.com/DPJHodges/status/1793589139297935484

For this reason I still half-believe the election will be in January and yesterday's announcement was just a dream, as a July election is clearly against the interests of the Conservative Party and also of Conservative MPs. It is the type of half-cocked, spur of the moment decision associated with the sort of man who absent-mindedly steps out into the rain without an umbrella.
    I sort of know what you mean. Did that really happen? Or will I wake up having sleepwalked into a shower, not Sunak looking asleep in a shower, I dreamt it.

It was literally a man saying “trust me. I have a plan.” Standing in the rain without his umbrella. 🫣

It just all feels a bit surreal.

But it’s important to get off to a good start with these things, especially with element of surprise? But it’s not been a sure fitted start from the Conservatives ☹️
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Dame Eleanor Laing is calling it quits. That’s a pity as she was often far better in the Chair than Mr Speaker.

An inanimate carbon rod would be a better speaker than that shiteater Hoyle
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,122

Sean_F said:

So knowledgeable he couldn't figure out the backup function on WhatsApp works.
    On the contrary ...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 77,724

boulay said:

Sean_F said:

Rashford's free this summer.
    Since he ditched the PR lady and got his brother to do the job, things have gone a bit south.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,343
    @ITVNewsPolitics

'What do you think of Rishi Sunak?'

'Who? ... he hasn't been prime minister long enough for me to remember his name!'

@AnushkaAsthana and @menendez_elisa hear from voters in Gillingham
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Perth and Kinross-shire will be a fascinating seat to watch. Boundary changes have made is slightly better for the Tories.

Notional result 2019

SNP 45.3%
    Con 41.1%
    LD 8.0%
    Lab 5.0%
    Brexit 0.7%

I think this will be one of a handful of tory gains
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 971

glw said:

Andy_JS said:

fpt

Leon said:

Stats like this are just mindboggling

"total net migration in the whole of the 1980s and 1990s was 606,000. In short the UK is experiencing more net immigration in a single year than we had in the last two decades of the 20th century."

Starmer will have to do something about it, whether his party likes it or not.
    I think if a journalist gave Starmer five representative biographies of recent immigrants and was told to pick two to approve and three to reject he wouldn't or couldn't do it. He'd find it too unpleasant and politically difficult to do so. But that's the sort of harshness required to get back to the ballpark of what was already perceived as too much immigration.

The problem is no member of the ruling classes can or will either. Too scared of being labelled racist, elitist, or worried about being unpopular with whatever sector of business / public sector their choices might signal a restriction.

And of course, there will always be edge cases, see attempts at raising the minimum salary required for a visa. And again every politician folds immediately. Sunak's £35k a year policy got binned within weeks.
    Thing is, it's going to be like Brexit isn't it. Very few politicians wanted Brexit, but there was enough public pressure that it happened anyway.

The public consistently want lower immigrantion, and the amount they care about it is steadily increasing. There presently isn't a party that seriously intends to deliver lower immigration that other than Reform.
    At some point, either the Tories will win having become credible on the issue, and then slam the gates shut, or they will be destroyed and replaced by another party which will reduce immigration.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Sean_F said:

The skillsets for being a good business leader and politician seem quite different.

I do think the Conservatives' A List proved dreadful.
  • Options

Michael Matheson's gigantic suspension...

That's a euphemism, surely ?
  • Options
    @freddiejh8

New:

- Shadow cabinet will meet tomorrow to receive their marching orders
    - Labour parliamentary staffers have been seconded to HQ
    - Source: "We’re going to be really, really aggressive. [The Tories] have got a huge price to pay for what they’ve done, and we’ll make them pay.”
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Of course this isn't really a headache for Starmer at all. Rather an opportunity to push once more his message that Labour has changed and he is nothing like Corbyn. Even if he loses one seat, the media coverage is a boon in 630 seats elsewhere.
    Maybe. But maybe Starmer and Team saying Changed Labour is spin, a damned lie, and 50% of members still prefer Corbynism on economy and spending splurge if not pro Hamas anti Israel as well. But it’s still a great header Quincey. I have Labour getting 39%, no where near either % or votes Boris got last time. This is because although Conservatives lower, the transfers are not all to Labour.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,857
    edited May 23

Sean_F said:

I think he genuinely likes politics and government and is ambitious and was told he was a bit like Blair, so he went for it.

He shouldn't be too downtrodden. At the end of the day he's been PM of the United Kingdom for 20 months in a difficult time, with no real scandal that's at his door, and that's a real achievement.
    Yes. It was a poison chalice that he took on. Credit to him for doing so. He had a lucky break (or unlucky depending upon how you look at it) when he got the unexpected break of Chancellor from Treasury Secretary because of circumstances.

I feel a bit sorry for him because he obviously can't stand down before the election and after he will be leader of the opposition and presumably will resign and become a backbencher after a leadership contest. Unlike someone like Heath I can't imagine he will want to stay around for 5 years. Maybe he takes a job that forces him to resign.
  • Options
    theProle said:

Thing is, it's going to be like Brexit isn't it. Very few politicians wanted Brexit, but there was enough public pressure that it happened anyway.

and it's shit, and the people that wanted it think it's shit.

The lesson from Brexit is not "if enough people want it, it should happen"
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

theProle said:

Youre not really in tune with this democracy thing are you ?
  • Options
    The 'cunning plan' Tory wing nuts have gone very quiet today. Morons
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Could be more a headache for the Labour Left. If they support Jeremy they risk being booted out.
  • Options
    DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 263
    Stonkingly good price that. Opened another skybet account specifically for it (my previous one having been restricted yonks ago) and maxed out. Thanks @Quincel
  • Options
    If this is true, he's either a slow learner, or not getting particularly incisive advice.

Meet Keir Starmer: Britain’s next prime minister?

https://www.politico.eu/article/keir-starmer-labour-party-prime-minister-british-elections/
    ..Starmer’s public style is famously methodical, often to the point of dry. He tries to evolve by micro-analyzing his own performance — his team used to watch video clips of him at Prime Minister’s Questions, his main weekly clash with Sunak, pausing the tape to point out what he had done well and where improvements could be made...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

boulay said:

Sean_F said:

The skillsets for being a good business leader and politician seem quite different.

I do think the Conservatives' A List proved dreadful.
    It wasn't an A List. It was a Diversity list and a cronies list.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Sean_F said:

I think he genuinely likes politics and government and is ambitious and was told he was a bit like Blair, so he went for it.

He shouldn't be too downtrodden. At the end of the day he's been PM of the United Kingdom for 20 months in a difficult time, with no real scandal that's at his door, and that's a real achievement.
    Yes. It was a poison chalice that he took on. Credit to him for doing so. He had a lucky break (or unlucky depending upon how you look at it) when he got the unexpected break of Chancellor from Treasury Secretary because of circumstances.

I feel a bit sorry for him because he obviously can't stand down before the election and after he will be leader of the opposition and presumably will resign and become a backbencher after a leadership contest. Unlike someone like Heath I can't imagine he will want to stay around for 5 years. Maybe he takes a job that forces him to resign.
    It does ruin my Rishi Sunak Tory leader exit bet for 2025, I must admit.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,892

Close of nominations in the 2024 general election is 4pm on Friday 7 June, 19 full working days before official polling day. So the political parties now have a full fortnight to pick and nominate their candidates, then get the signatures and submit the forms.…

By my reckoning Labour have about 100 vacancies still to fill, and the Conservatives 190, but new candidates are being announced every few minutes right now.

Those 100 Labour vacancies are nearly all in unwinnable seats (though who knows). Labour's candidates are in place in all their safe and target seats, with one or two notable exceptions (Corbyn's and Abbott's).
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,133
    kinabalu said:

Quincel said:

Could be more a headache for the Labour Left. If they support Jeremy they risk being booted out.

There's no risk. They will be booted out.

• Options
    If you think it's been fun so far just wait until the Scottish Greens start unveiling their new candidates.

https://x.com/BrianSpanner1/status/1793607345916006402
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

Taz said:

I don't even know why the remark in Wales is meant to be a "gaffe". Welsh people aren't just interested in the Wales football team.

I thought that too. It is not a gaffe in any way, shape or form.

Are people really only invested in a sporting contest if they support one of the teams or players in it.

Just more engagement farming on social media.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,293
    Scott_xP said:

@ITVNewsPolitics

'What do you think of Rishi Sunak?'

'Who? ... he hasn't been prime minister long enough for me to remember his name!'

@AnushkaAsthana and @menendez_elisa hear from voters in Gillingham

He's been a largely policy free zone. As someone who follows politics, what can I name? Pharmacists being able to prescribe (a good idea, but akin to shuffling the deckchairs on the titanic), and Rwanda (a costly idea that may or may not work, but a drop in the ocean compared to the huge problems created by legal immigration, which dwarfs the number of small boat people by an order or two of magnitude).

My sense is that the public don't really know Rishi at all, other than that he's rich and a bit geeky. And gaffe prone. So I think far from closing the gap during the election campaign, it will get worse for the Conservatives. The more they see of him, the less people will like him. And most people have made their minds up already to punish the government for the last few years of pain - soaring gas bills, insane weekly shop price rises, etc.

The last few years have been nothing but pain for a lot of people, and that is what they will remember on polling day.
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 971
    Scott_xP said:

theProle said:

No. It's that if enough people want it, it will happen. The "should" part of the equation is neither here nor there.

The bit I don't understand is why the Tories haven't worked this out yet.
  • Options

Those 100 Labour vacancies are nearly all in unwinnable seats (though who knows). Labour's candidates are in place in all their safe and target seats, with one or two notable exceptions (Corbyn's and Abbott's).
    Who knows, precisely, Jared O'Mara was selected for an "unwinnable" seat after all.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Exactly. We're not looking at any sort of personal tragedy here. He's been more lucky than unlucky and I'd say he's overachieved in politics. If you'd have told him in 2019 when he'd been in politics for a minute and wasn't even 40 years old that he'd be PM in 3 years he'd have just giggled.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,133

Mrs Duffy aside, Brown actually managed to run a decent campaign in 2010. A Fear the Tories campaign.

Sunak will run a Fear Labour campaign, the question is whether it will be as effective. My suspicion is very much no.
    I still think around 200 seats for the Tories though. I am not convinced that they are at extinction level.

Brown had Scotland. Labour made gains there in 2010. He also had a very efficient vote distribution in England that kept losses down despite the Tories being over 12 points ahead. I am not sure Sunak has either of those.

• Options
    Farooq said:

ToryJim said:

The latest coming of Farooq is much changed from the last one - so bitter and angry at everything now! I can’t possibly agree with this approach.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,857

kjh said:

Sean_F said:

What exactly is your bet? He may be a caretaker leader for some time.

If the Tories are sensible they shouldn't rush into anything (yeah I know it might also be a bloodbath afterwards), but I would guess they would want to line it all up for the conference season.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,655
    Good article, Pip! Good spot.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,635
    edited May 23
    kjh said:

kjh said:

Sean_F said:

If the Tories are sensible they shouldn't rush into anything (yeah I know it might also be a bloodbath afterwards), but I would guess they would want to line it all up for the conference season.
    No chance he'd be interim leader for six months. He may not be for very long at all - it's all a bit demeaning for an ex-PM to do PMQs as a stop-gap opposition leader.
  • Options

Farooq said:

ToryJim said:

The latest coming of Farooq is much changed from the last one - so bitter and angry at everything now! I can’t possibly agree with this approach.
    I disagree. I was always that way.

Who did you vote for in the general election earlier this month?
  • Options
    I'm guessing turnout might be down slightly on 2019, from 67% to around 65%.
  • Options

Gordon went up in my estimation after that - but I suppose I'd be in a minority there.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,531
    kjh said:

kjh said:

Sean_F said:

"If the Tories are sensible" - I think I may have discovered a small, well hidden flaw in this line of reasoning.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,655

Andy_JS said:

Notional result 2019

SNP 45.3%
    Con 41.1%
    LD 8.0%
    Lab 5.0%
    Brexit 0.7%

I think this will be one of a handful of tory gains
    Will there be any seats where Labour loses? Bristol Central maybe?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,671
    An equally interesting bet is whether the Conservatives vote count will exceed that in 1945.
This discussion has been closed.