Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Will a 4th of July election be Sunak’s siege of Yorktown? – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,402

On students, the real concern for Labour and the Greens is that so many 18-22 year-olds will be abroad on July 4. A levels have finished, and university terms ended, so they'll be in Ibiza or wherever. That's more of a problem than them being in their 'home' town.
    I expect to see the left-wing parties put a real effort into ensuring that those not in the country can still vote.

Yes my eldest will be abroad post A levels but only turns 18 two weeks after the election anyway...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,321
    AlsoLei said:

kle4 said:

If it is a 2001 result (that is, a landslide but on low turnout), that might still be seen as positive from the Tories as it means they need to just get people to show up in 4-5 years to get a decent result, and would be doing better than 1997.

If it is a 2005 result I think the Tories will be ecstatic.

CatMan said:

So what odds on leaving the ECHR (or offering a referendum) being in the Tory manifesto?

Very high. They need something to promise, what else sounds compelling? Tax cuts when it can be afforded or whatever is nice, but nothing new as a promise.
    I assume that the contents of the manifesto will be viciously fought over by the various factions - it'll be more important to them (and their positioning for the future) than it will be to any voter. We might well see them producing something that becomes as infamous as the 1983 Labour one.
    Barebones manifesto full of platitudes, or overstuffed manifesto with every minor thought any Tory MP has had to try to appeal to every grievance of party members?
  • Options
    sbjme19sbjme19 Posts: 176
    Charles Walker talking a load of bollocks on Ch.4 saying Rishi's very cleverly got it all worked out to a bemused Gurumurthy
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,683

I am enjoying though the 'last July vote was 1945 and Labour won a landslide!' Stuff though. Many of those voters turning out this time?? I mean they'd only be minimum 99 years old

Tbf A shitload of Brexiteers seem to think they stormed Gold and Sword beaches.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,369

I have been absolutely snowed under with work and just coming up for air.

Why is Rishi doing this now? Can someone explain the strategy?

Is Farage coming back to the Tory fold? That is all I can think of.

Consensus among the political commentariat is that he's given up. Just wants the pain to end.

Best explanation on here is that, by August, inflation will be back up close to 4%, and this is the best window of opportunity he has left.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,321
    DavidL said:

On a less positive note (we don’t want Sunk to get complacent after all) the PSBR figures this morning, which got a lot less attention than the inflation data, were truly terrible.
    After a strong quarter of economic growth, following the shallowest recession on record, with the costs of the gas cap coming off the books we borrowed £20.1bn in a single month.
    This is completely unsustainable. The Labour government is going to inherit a nightmare on the fiscal front forcing both serious cuts and substantial tax rises within months. No wonder the Shadow Chancellor looks so bloody miserable all the time.

We'll see if any outgoing Minister leaves a "I'm sorry, but this time there really is no money" note.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,070

I am enjoying though the 'last July vote was 1945 and Labour won a landslide!' Stuff though. Many of those voters turning out this time?? I mean they'd only be minimum 99 years old

Saving Private Anderson
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,379

He is just executing his plan:
    - Stop the boats with the Rwanda scheme
    - Get the credit for better economic news
    - Announce a snap election in the late spring sunshine
    - Win an unexpected victory

So far he has ticked off points 1, 2 and 3 from his plan.
    Funny he didn't mention today that he'd stopped the boats.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,597

TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

@ShippersUnbound

Tory MPs and candidates have been asked to assemble at the Excel centre for a rally with Sunak at 8pm this evening, where the PM will “speak for 15 mins”. Fair to say not all of them regard this as an enticing offer

He only wants to have it here because it's called 'Excel'. His daughters Vlookup and Sumif may be present.
    The fact that we call him a spreadsheet nerd and a post about him and spreadsheets gets eight likes shows who the real nerds are.
    People debating politics on the internet are nerds shocker.

Next bear shits in the woods shocker.

Now since its a slow news day, shall we talk about our favourite sci fi show instead?
    Star Cops.

Or maybe Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur.
    It tends to deteriorate into which version of Star Trek is the best. Some poor souls still insist on the lightsaber franchise, but I just whisper "The Last Jedi" and that ends that.

Although if the rumours about the upcoming "Star Trek" movie are true. I may rather sadly withdraw my affections. And I speak as a defender of "Star Trek: Discovery"... :(
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,896
    Labour quick off the mark. Email sent out from Starmer to all members at 17.14, while Sunak was still being drenched, setting out campaign priorities and, of course, asking for money.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,986

Saving Private Anderson
    You think Jimmy’s imminent retirement played a role? Well, it makes as much sense as anything else.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,314

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

biggles said:

ydoethur said:

biggles said:

Foxy said:

biggles said:

Re: Students.

I assume your voter ID has to match your registered address. GE turnout levels, and dislocated students, may be the first real test of this Jim Crow law.

No, photo ID doesn't have to include an address. A passport for example.

The students do need to get registered sharpish though.
    Blimey, it’s worse than I thought. So all that time and money wasted for narrow, perceived political advantage, and all I have to prove is that I am A “Mr Biggles” not THE “Mr Biggles of Sopwith Lane”.
    You've been sold a Pup.
    Only a Fokker would make such a bad pun.
    My reputation as a punner is a veritable Albatros aroudn my neck.

I shall SE no more.
    Hanover bad pun will Rumpler feathers. Gotha go for it.
    No need to Snipe.
    You’re game, cock.
    Sorry, I’ve gone interwar.
    Be shrew me.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,108
    DavidL said:

On a less positive note (we don’t want Sunk to get complacent after all) the PSBR figures this morning, which got a lot less attention than the inflation data, were truly terrible.
    After a strong quarter of economic growth, following the shallowest recession on record, with the costs of the gas cap coming off the books we borrowed £20.1bn in a single month.
    This is completely unsustainable. The Labour government is going to inherit a nightmare on the fiscal front forcing both serious cuts and substantial tax rises within months. No wonder the Shadow Chancellor looks so bloody miserable all the time.

Or worse: they won’t do either of those things. Welcome to Italy.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,070
    So with prorogation Friday, no more PMQs, so no fancy pants floor crossing. Any defections now are a bit Brian Sedgemoor!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,841

TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

@ShippersUnbound

Tory MPs and candidates have been asked to assemble at the Excel centre for a rally with Sunak at 8pm this evening, where the PM will “speak for 15 mins”. Fair to say not all of them regard this as an enticing offer

He only wants to have it here because it's called 'Excel'. His daughters Vlookup and Sumif may be present.
    The fact that we call him a spreadsheet nerd and a post about him and spreadsheets gets eight likes shows who the real nerds are.

Now since its a slow news day, shall we talk about our favourite sci fi show instead?
    The debate was about spreadsheets.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,597
    ydoethur said:

biggles said:

ydoethur said:

biggles said:

Foxy said:

biggles said:

I assume your voter ID has to match your registered address. GE turnout levels, and dislocated students, may be the first real test of this Jim Crow law.

Blimey, it’s worse than I thought. So all that time and money wasted for narrow, perceived political advantage, and all I have to prove is that I am A “Mr Biggles” not THE “Mr Biggles of Sopwith Lane”.
    You've been sold a Pup.

I shall SE no more.
    Your puns are but a mere sop. With camel. :)
  • Options
    MustaphaMondeoMustaphaMondeo Posts: 101
    Foxy said:

Just spoke to my mother to catch up with what she thought about the election announcement.

Found out that she's struggling to get the NHS to agree to put her on the waiting list for a cataract operation for her left eye, and now thinks her right eye has started to develop one too. She's going to be functionally blind and in need of expensive care before the NHS manage to perform a relatively routine operation.

What a shambles everything is.

How much would a private cataract operation cost?

Ask her GP or optom to refer her to one of the private contractors doing NHS work and she will be done in weeks in most English regions.
    earlier last year my aunt was quoted from £2.300 by Spa Healthcare
    and when the eye was examined in person £4.300
    then her GP coughed up for it.
    it took a few months.
  • Options

My grandad voted Labour in 1945 and I think he regretted it for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,416

NEW THREAD

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,300

On students, the real concern for Labour and the Greens is that so many 18-22 year-olds will be abroad on July 4. A levels have finished, and university terms ended, so they'll be in Ibiza or wherever. That's more of a problem than them being in their 'home' town.
    I expect to see the left-wing parties put a real effort into ensuring that those not in the country can still vote.

Yes my eldest will be abroad post A levels but only turns 18 two weeks after the election anyway...
    Twin granchildren turned 18 today. Just in time.

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,165

Farage has monstered him on social media already 'he has chosen suicide' 'empty speech in the rain' etc
    Okay. Thanks for the update! Appreciate it genuinely – I have been so busy at work I haven't bene able to keep up. Haven't even been on PB today until 5.30pm which says it all!!
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,165

He is just executing his plan:
    - Stop the boats with the Rwanda scheme
    - Get the credit for better economic news
    - Announce a snap election in the late spring torrential rain
    - Win an unexpected victory

So far he has ticked off points 1, 2 and 3 from his plan.
    True, true, very true

(FTFY)
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,369
    DavidL said:

Yes. The fiscal position isn't great.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,990

Labour quick off the mark. Email sent out from Starmer to all members at 17.14, while Sunak was still being drenched, setting out campaign priorities and, of course, asking for money.

Impressive! We were slow off the mark - only 17:23...
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,153
    What are the implications of having a lame-duck PM for the duration of the campaign?

First, since we don't know who'll be leading the Tories after the election, the "you don't know what you'll get under Labour" attack will be blunted.

Second, the starting gun for the leadership contest has been fired. Sunak will very quickly become seen as yesterday's man, to the point that I wonder if we'll see him being more or less completely edged out of the campaign by those who hope to succeed him.

Third, some of the potential leadership candidates might do better if the party loses heavily - a bad result would guarantee that Mordaunt wouldn't be a candidate, for example. Depending on how cynical some of the likely survivors are, this might become a factor later in the campaign.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,825

My grandad voted Labour in 1945 and I think he regretted it for the rest of his life.
    You are Nicholas soames and I claim my £5 etc
  • Options
    Predictions: Starmer and Sunak are both judged to have had a better than expected campaign.
    The polls are pretty static for most of the campaign but there are signs of a late swing to the Tories, who do better than the polls suggest, limiting Labour's majority to double figures.
    Galloway gets a seat.
    Labour overtakes the SNP in Scotland.
    Labour does well in the North and South of England but less so in the Midlands and outer London.
    Reform do badly.
    The Tories choose a more centrist than expected leader after the election, but the party is left bitterly divided.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

We'll see if any outgoing Minister leaves a "I'm sorry, but this time there really is no money" note.
    I think that they will be under very strict instructions not to standing the number of thousands of times the Tories used that.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Yes. The fiscal position isn't great.
    Masterful understatement.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,869
    DavidL said:

Tax cuts in such a context are offensive. Just send the bill to our children.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,023
    biggles said:

That's clever!
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,153
    MattW said:

AlsoLei said:

biggles said:

Foxy said:

biggles said:

It doesn't even do that!

There's no way for anyone at the polling stage to verify or validate the ID. It's completely useless, but doing anything better would increase the cost of running an election by a factor of ten (or more).
    Does the proof of address not come in at Registration stage?
    Yes, it does - but in exactly the same way it did before the voter ID requirements.

If the govt had wanted to do this properly, they'd have gone down the route of having a separate voter ID card, with a simple validation system available on people's phones.

The current system, but multiple different passports and driving licences from a variety of countries would be an absolute nightmare to validate properly. Even if they just limited it to UK Passports and GB and NI driving licences, that would require live links into HMPO, DVLA, and DVA(NI) - just doing that would be more difficult and more expensive than coming up with a lightweight single-purpose system.
  • Options
    Rishi Sunak gives Vennels a free media ride today. The poor girl cried 4 times today. Ah!
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,108

Surely not. Both beaches involved the Poles…..
  • Options

ydoethur said:

biggles said:

ydoethur said:

biggles said:

Foxy said:

biggles said:

You've been sold a Pup.

I shall SE no more.
    Hanover bad pun will Rumpler feathers. Gotha go for it.
    Dare I suggest that Starmer will get a 266 majority?
  • Options

I got one from Ed Davey at 1724, Green Party at 1734.

Looks like everyone is ready to go.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

According to LBC except the Tories who still have some vacancies where sitting MPs are stepping down.

What a strange day
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,235

Foxy said:

According to LBC except the Tories who still have some vacancies where sitting MPs are stepping down.

What a strange day
    One of the indications of whether this has been entirely though through is if there's an avalanche of Conservative MPs throwing in the towel to rather than quietly doing it over the next few months.

The other thing I want to see is what angle on the swingometer the Conservatives decide to defend.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,311
    viewcode said:

TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

@ShippersUnbound

Star Cops.

Or maybe Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur.
    It tends to deteriorate into which version of Star Trek is the best. Some poor souls still insist on the lightsaber franchise, but I just whisper "The Last Jedi" and that ends that.

Although if the rumours about the upcoming "Star Trek" movie are true. I may rather sadly withdraw my affections. And I speak as a defender of "Star Trek: Discovery"... :(
    Can't go wrong with the lightsaber franchise, though Gate was better than both Wars and Trek.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,404

Interesting parallels though 1945 Churchill’s Tories had won the war but Labour were trusted to deliver the peace. 2024 Johnson’s Tories got Bwexit done but Labour will be trusted with rebuilding the bridges.

More similar than you might think.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,441

Predictions: Starmer and Sunak are both judged to have had a better than expected campaign.
    The polls are pretty static for most of the campaign but there are signs of a late swing to the Tories, who do better than the polls suggest, limiting Labour's majority to double figures.
    Galloway gets a seat.
    Labour overtakes the SNP in Scotland.
    Labour does well in the North and South of England but less so in the Midlands and outer London.
    Reform do badly.
    The Tories choose a more centrist than expected leader after the election, but the party is left bitterly divided.

I've been wondering about Rotherham. 18% majority, and we can rely on a sectarian campaign.

Chris Williams XMP is still deputy leader of the WRP.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,201

CatMan said:

viewcode said:

CatMan said:

As most of you know I am the Liberal Democrat candidate in Aberdeenshire North and Moray East. Anyone else want to out themselves as candidates? For any party in any constituency?

I assume @Tissue_Price is standing?

And you're not on the wiki page, so the only possible explanation is that you're lying ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberdeenshire_North_and_Moray_East_(UK_Parliament_constituency)
    https://www.banffandbuchanlibdems.org.uk/general-election-2023
    Well I wasn't been serious! Someone needs to update the wiki page, and a) I can't be arsed and b) Even if I was, I don't know @RochdalePioneers real name
    It will be sorted! I don't do Wiki. Or the web page. Has caught us on the hop TBH.
    Good luck hope you succeed.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,569

tlg86 said:

Betfair Exchange have put up a list of "key constituencies" to bet on.

Betfair exchange > All Sports > Politics > UK - General Election - Key Constituencies

Aldershot
    Amber Valley
    Ashford
    Aylesbury

Banbury
    Basingstoke
    Bracknell
    Brecon, Radnor and Cwm Tawe
    Bromley and Biggin Hill
    Buckingham and Bletchley
    Burton and Uttoxeter

Chester South and Eddisbury
    Chippenham
    Croydon South

Didcot and Wantage

Epsom and Ewell

Forest of Dean

Great Yarmouth

Harborough, Oadby and Wigston
    Harrogate and Knaresborough
    Harrow East
    Henley and Thame
    Horsham

Isle of Wight West

Kettering

Lowestoft

Mansfield
    Morecambe and Lunesdale

Newark
    Newbury
    Newcastle-under-Lyme
    North Cornwall
    North Devon
    North Somerset
    North West Cambridgeshire
    North West Leicestershire

Redditch
    Ribble Valley
    Romford
    Rugby
    Ruislip, Northwood and Pinner

Sherwood Forest
    Stafford
    Staffordshire Moorlands

Tamworth
    Thornbury and Yate
    Tunbridge Wells

Wellingborough and Rushden
    Weston-Super-Mare

York Outer

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/en/politics/uk-general-election-key-constituencies-betting-33295556

No Hexham?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,160
    Forced to work in the rain unnecessarily?

Join a union.

https://x.com/The_TUC/status/1793327489709641843
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,160
    The whole controlling the narrative thing is a bit wonky for them today.

A Sky News reporter is forcibly kicked out of Rishi Sunak’s first Tory election campaign rally
    https://x.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1793359914137464960
This discussion has been closed.