Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How Betfair has been reacting over the last few days – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,326
    A possible winning Tory slogan: "Make London Great Again"
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,563
    First half hattrick for Harland. Another 3 points for Man City. Can they close the gap on GD with Arsenal?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,304
    edited May 4

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Khan's support actually increased, so how do we interpret that as anything but an endorsement for ULEZ?

I've been saying this for months, the people opposed to ULEZ don't live in London. Londoners either don't care (as they don't drive) or they are supportive.

The Tories were entirely wrong to oppose it (of course they forced Khan to bring it in but that's a different story). They have got completely the wrong end of the stick and done the opposite of what they should have done.

In Outer London, where people drive, Khan's vote didn't increase (except in the wealthy pro green SW), in inner London it did.

His margin in inner London, where you can use a bus, taxi or tube and don't need the car, was enough to secure him victory in London overall
    Did he receive more votes than last time or not? It's a yes or no question.
    In inner London yes his margin was up, in Outer London there was no change and indeed in some areas like Bexley and Bromley Hall won comfortably
    Khan's vote went up in B&B compared to 2021.
    Hall's vote went up more, Bailey got 100630 first preference votes in 2021 while she got 111,216 votes this year.

Khan got 44350 in 2021 and 48,952 votes this year
    https://www.londonelects.org.uk/bexley-bromley-results
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-68609732/page/3
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,543
    Andy_JS said:

Tory MP Andrew Mitchell on Sky News: "We know either that Andy Street has won or that he has nearly won".

Is nearly won the same as didn't win?
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,819
    algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Awful, awful speech from Hall. Please go away now.

Agree, I actually stopped watching half-way through. It was too political. You don't make policy points on occasions like this, you congratulate the winners and thank the police, etc. Anything else sounds incredibly petty when you've just been defeated.
    I guess the one thing she could have said - if she had a more subtle political touch than she does - is something like, "It is of course important to recognise the diversity of views across the city, and the very real concerns of those with poor public transport options who rely on their cars to get about, and those where crime is a growing problem. I look forward to working with the Mayor over the next four years to do more to improve the situation for these Londoners".

That's not a direct dig but does say that the issues you ran on haven't evapourated, and is a nod to your voters and light marking of the Mayor's card.
    Yes. Post election result speeches are one of the dignified rather than the efficient parts of our unwritten constitution. It is notable that the generally decent people do it well, whether in victory or defeat. As unifying ritual is has a real place. Just as Binface and co have their place like Lear's fool.
    David Mellor in 97 springs to mind
  • Options
    BatteryCorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorse Posts: 1,206
    So do the plotters pick their pitchforks up again or?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,107
    ydoethur said:

nico679 said:

ydoethur said:

nico679 said:

Oh God someone please put poor Andrew Mitchell out of his misery on Sky News. It’s like Chemical Ali !

D'you mean Comical Ali? Chemical Ali was the mass murderer and that seems a bit harsh on Mitchell.
    Oh yes ! You really need to see that Mitchell clip , it was tragic .
    You're saying that a bad interview is as bad as gassing a load of Kurds?
    Eh ! I agree I got the wrong person . Am I missing something , my point was Mitchell was delusional!
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,244
    Will not be disappointed by Street losing.

Wear your affiliation with pride. None of this pretending you’re an independent when you clearly aren’t.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,586

Andy_JS said:

Tory MP Andrew Mitchell on Sky News: "We know either that Andy Street has won or that he has nearly won".

Gloucestershire nearly won against Sussex the other day.

Or as we also call it, 'lost by four wickets.'
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,751
    Drama at the West Mids count !

🔥 Row as apparently Labour refusing to have recount of whole Birmingham
    🔥 More Andy Street votes have been found in the Coventry ward
    🔥 Sandwell having to recall staff back from the pub for recounts

https://twitter.com/kateferguson4/status/1786797001922785447
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,736

Support for independence remains evenly balanced, with 48 per cent in favour of Scotland leaving the UK and 52 per cent backing the Union.

Scotland has caught the Brexit ratio disease. Then same numbers are found in the Forbes/Yousef head to head.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,191
    "Oh God, What Now? – the politics podcast
    @OhGodWhatNowPod

On a day when the Conservatives got absolutely ploughed, Andrew Mitchell MP is now on TV claiming that if Andy Street wins, it poses “very serious” questions about Starmer’s electability.
    It is the most pitiful, craven and undignified thing you could possibly imagine."

https://twitter.com/OhGodWhatNowPod/status/1786801599592948061
  • Options

Well, that really inspires confidence in the integrity of any recount.

'Ish thish one vote or three?'
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,610

Back from the pub to do a recount?

That sounds like a recipe for trouble!!

• Options

It's gonna end up in court, lol
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Gloucestershire nearly won against Sussex the other day.

Or as we also call it, 'lost by four wickets.'
    I am sorry to say that Wolves are nearly beating Man City as well. As it stands, four quick goals and they are home and dry and Arsenal are back on track.
  • Options
    The Tories needed to request the recount before the Birmingham results were officially declared .
  • Options

Sunak's premiership saved by activist lawyers??

I will retire to Bedlam.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,382

Wear your affiliation with pride. None of this pretending you’re an independent when you clearly aren’t.

Metro Mayors have to do that realistically, as they need to work with Governments as well as with Council leaders on their patch of any political hue. That's particularly the case where you're not going to win if it's a down the line party vote.

No doubt the Tories would far rather have a Mayor of the West Midlands (or Tees Valley or anywhere else) who is branded as an "independent minded" Tory than have a Labour Mayor. Having a very loyalist figure would no doubt be ideal, but isn't at all realistic.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,807
    edited May 4

Yes indeed. One of the major points against the awful Khan is that he is so bloody miserable and depressing. A little man, with little vision. Boris and Ken - in very different ways - managed to express the larger than life persona you need to boost a great world city like London

So the Tory message for next time, must be boosterism. Make London Dance Again. Make London Happy Again. Make London Go On A Bender And Wake Up With Strange Panties On Its Head Again, etc etc. I'm quite serious. This is what would beat that dreary grey teetotal dwarf Khan, who has probably never been to a party in his life. FUN

Make London FUN Again

Next time, the Tory needs to be extrovert, amusing and smartly charming. That will win
  • Options

Time for prayers to St Chad of Mercia.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,563
    ydoethur said:

Well if you can't see 2 votes where there was one after being in the pub you were wasting your time there.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,642

I will retire to Bedlam.
    Yakoob is a lawyer.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Yes indeed. One of the major points against the awful Khan is that he is so bloody miserable and depressing. A little man, with little vision. Boris and Ken - in very different ways - managed to express the larger than life persona you need to boost a great world city like London

So the Tory message for next time, must be boosterism. Make London Dance Again. Make London Happy Again. Make London Go On A Bender And Wake Up With Strange Panties On Its Head Again, etc etc. I'm quite serious. This is what would beat that dreary grey teetotal dwarf Khan, who has probably never been to a party in his life. FUN

Make London FUN Again

Next time, the Tory needs to be extrovert, amusing and smartly charming. That will win
    Is Khan mad enough to want to do a 4th term? I think not.

• Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,493
    nico679 said:

The Tories needed to request the recount before the Birmingham results were officially declared .

One wonders why they were declared whilst a recount was underway elsewhere. One would have thought it prudent to hold off in case someone wants to check it out.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Make London FUN Again

Name three.
  • Options
    edited May 4
    I think the fact there's been a full recount in Coventry but not in the other areas in the West Midlands could be the basis for a court challenge to the result. The same recount conditions should have been applied everywhere, since it's the overall result that matters, not how close it is in any particular area.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Make London FUN Again

Name three.
    Eadric. LadyG. Me
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,459

I will retire to Bedlam.
    Yakoob is a lawyer.
    Indeed. I read this edifying piece about him in legal sector scuttlebutt site Roll on Friday -

https://www.rollonfriday.com/news-content/exclusive-tiktok-lawyers-mayoral-hopes-knocked-misogynist-podcast
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,346
    algarkirk said:

Turns out the Labour candidate is actually a tiger. Also, "found some votes in Coventry" sounds dodgy as fuck.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    Andy_JS said:

I think the fact there's been a full recount in Coventry but not in the other areas in the West Midlands could be the basis for a court challenge to the result.

What a S show
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,753
    algarkirk said:

AND to St. "Hanging" Chad of Tampa?
  • Options
    Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Make London FUN Again

Name three.
    Eadric. LadyG. Me
    I'm not sure that's wholly a trinity.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

nico679 said:

One wonders why they were declared whilst a recount was underway elsewhere. One would have thought it prudent to hold off in case someone wants to check it out.
    Probably because the Tories were a bit too confident they were going to win, so when they were asked "are you fine and happy to announce" they just said yeah sure and then discovered they'd fucked up an hour later.
  • Options

Leon said:

Make London FUN Again

He's a fucikng bed blocker, I wouldn't put it past him. Any other poltiical career is over, for him. He'd be 57 and looking for a constittuency to start out as an MP if he wants a Westminster job years afteer that? Not gonna happen. So, yeah, I can see him going for a 4th. Tragically. And winning, which is even more tragic
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Make London FUN Again

Name three.
    Eadric. LadyG. Me
    I'm not sure that's wholly a trinity.
    Possibly an unholy shitshow.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,431
    ydoethur said:

The source for her tweet is as ludicrous as, erm, the Susan Hall one if you can be bothered to trace it.

I’m sorry TSE repeated it without pausing
  • Options

algarkirk said:

AND to St. "Hanging" Chad of Tampa?
    More Tamperwoth than Tamworth.
  • Options
    Street 21,372 votes ahead with Sandwell and Coventry to come
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I think the fact there's been a full recount in Coventry but not in the other areas in the West Midlands could be the basis for a court challenge to the result. The same recount conditions should have been applied everywhere, since it's the overall result that matters, not how close it is in any particular area.

Please let’s leave the American politics in America
  • Options
    Leon said:

Make London FUN Again

People so often fight the previous election, and are so often wrong. I'm fairly doubtful Khan will even be the candidate next time, so why necessarily choose someone to contrast with him?

Also, you're talking about what you want, and that's fine. But is it at all appealing to voters in Bexley and Hillingdon? People move to those places specifically to get away from what you'd describe as "fun".
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    Yes, sounds like the Conservatives made a massive error - allowing Birmingham to be declared without realising how close it was going to be overall.

Now they have no hope if only Coventry is recounted,.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

ydoethur said:

The source for her tweet is as ludicrous as, erm, the Susan Hall one if you can be bothered to trace it.

Can you elaborate? I know she's a sun ed so not exactly unbiased but I'm part of the "fuck twitter" brigade so I can't see that chain back.
  • Options
    edited May 4
    Leon said:

Make London FUN Again

In a way it's similar to the EU referendum, where the Remain campaign was almost totally negative, instead of talking about all the positive things about Europe. All they did was say how awful it would be if Leave won. Voters don't like that type of campaign.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I think the fact there's been a full recount in Coventry but not in the other areas in the West Midlands could be the basis for a court challenge to the result.

What a S show
    It isn’t a s show

Andy Street didn’t win by c. 2500 votes and his team want to have some of the votes recounted, which Coventry accepted.

Let’s leave the conspiracies out of this and wait the final tally
  • Options

Leon said:

Make London FUN Again

People so often fight the previous election, and are so often wrong. I'm fairly doubtful Khan will even be the candidate next time, so why necessarily choose someone to contrast with him?

Also, you're talking about what you want, and that's fine. But is it at all appealing to voters in Bexley and Hillingdon? People move to those places specifically to get away from what you'd describe as "fun".
    The Tories need to win over cool young arty people in the inner city, like me, not boring middleaged suburban twonks like @OnlyLivingBoy, @Anabobazina and @TimS

They already have the Ulezzers
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Yes, sounds like the Conservatives made a massive error - allowing Birmingham to be declared without realising how close it was going to be overall.

Now they have no hope if only Coventry is recounted,.

Although you could also argue it should be the job of the returning officer to make sure no area declares its result until it's known that no other area might be holding a recount.
  • Options
    Was Mitchell's interview really as tragic as it was implied in the BBC live blog?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Make London FUN Again

[…] looking for a constittuency to start out as an MP
    Going back to being an MP, you surely mean?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,229
    Leon said:

Make London FUN Again

A few months back I went out for a pizza with some mates in Peckham and staggered home ten hours later after going to two clubs, crashing a 30th birthday party, drinking some woman's breast milk and generally having a bloody great time. Sadiq Khan haters please explain.
    Perhaps you're just getting old?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,167
    Andy_JS said:

But the Tories *rewrote* the rules themselves. Too late to complain - in both senses.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Make London FUN Again

The Tories need to win over cool young arty people in the inner city, like me, not boring middleaged suburban twonks like @OnlyLivingBoy, @Anabobazina and @TimS

Although if they won over the people you mention, that's three votes. Whereas if they win over you, that's one vote.
  • Options
    Parker needs to take Sandwell and Coventry by about 12% combined (I think)
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Heathener said:

ydoethur said:

Can you elaborate? I know she's a sun ed so not exactly unbiased but I'm part of the "fuck twitter" brigade so I can't see that chain back.
    It started with someone with about 12 followers, without any basis in fact, then got retweeted … and you know how it goes from there.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

ydoethur said:

Next time I will only repeat anecdotes from friends and family.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    edited May 4
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Make London FUN Again

He's a fucikng bed blocker, I wouldn't put it past him. Any other poltiical career is over, for him. He'd be 57 and looking for a constittuency to start out as an MP if he wants a Westminster job years afteer that? Not gonna happen. So, yeah, I can see him going for a 4th. Tragically. And winning, which is even more tragic
    He'll win a 4th, 5th, and 6th term if he wants to. He calls the shots in London. Susan Hall is just a prelude to what is coming as far as the Tories are concerned. Popcorn time after the next GE as Badenoch, Braverman, Truss and other fruitloops in the Tory party slug it out.

London is a great city and we will continue to say "F*ck off" to the Tories.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Make London FUN Again

In a way it's similar to the EU referendum, where the Remain campaign was almost totally negative, instead of talking about all the positive things about Europe. All they did was say how awful it would be if Leave won. Voters don't like that type of campaign.
    Yep. Positivity. It wins. YES I said YES

In fact the Tory slogan should be: "I yes to say yes my mountain flower and first I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes."

That would look good on posters
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

But the Tories *rewrote* the rules themselves. Too late to complain - in both senses.
    Hoisted on one's own petard. Be careful what institution you blow up I suppose. Would be quite funny if their attempts at system rigging blew up in their faces again.
  • Options
    edited May 4
    Re Coventry, I hope that a Tory bundle hasn't been stuck in with a Labour (or other party) bundle. That's the only reason I can think for requesting a recount when you're circa 2.500 votes behind.

That's what nightmares are made from counting staff.
  • Options

Heathener said:

ydoethur said:

Next time I will only repeat anecdotes from friends and family.
    Well, at least they have the merit of coming from a human being. With twitter/X rumours? Who knows but I think this site should treat them circumspectly.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 814
    Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:

What a S show
    It isn’t a s show

Andy Street didn’t win by c. 2500 votes and his team want to have some of the votes recounted, which Coventry accepted.

Nah I'm on Andy's side on this one. If it's close enough for a recount, every part of the election should be recounted.

To be able to pick and choose areas to recount is worse than doing none.
  • Options
    edited May 4

Re Coventry, I hope that a Tory bundle hasn't been stuck in with a Labour (or other party) bundle.

That's what nightmares are made from counting staff.

If this all falls out with Street winning by like, 10k votes and it's all manufactured drama it's going to be deeply tedious.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Make London FUN Again

He'll win a 4th, 5th, and 6th term if he wants to. He calls the shots in London. Susan Hall is just a prelude to what is coming as far as the Tories are concerned. Popcorn time after the next GE as Badenoch, Braverman, Truss and other fruitloops in the Tory slug it out.

WAtching from a distance, I'm genuinely astounded. For months, we had wall to wall ULEZzery on PB on how Mr Khan was doomed, ditto because of tent cities, unavailability of traditional eel pie on ever street corner, etc. etc.
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 470
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Make London FUN Again

2028 will be in the fourth year of a Starmer administration, with all the headwinds that he's going to face. London's only voted for the nationally governing party twice, for Ken in 2004 and Boris in 2012 and as you've already mentioned, both of them were special politicians. Khan is as generic Labour as you can get, which is why the Hall smears haven't stuck (he's not that interesting).

If Labour aren't polling that well in 2027 then Khan looks vulnerable and then decent Tory politicians will fancy their chances, making Khan's chances of a 4th term even slimmer.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,654
    DavidL said:

First half hattrick for Harland. Another 3 points for Man City. Can they close the gap on GD with Arsenal?

Wolves will close the gap with a late surge and score 3.
    City will demand a goal recount, and VAR will adjudicate.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,493
    Just spotted that the newly minted London Assembly member for West Central is the son of Heather Small. I’ll let others suggest which of her back catalogue should apply to current circumstances…
  • Options
    From the Grauniad:

9m ago
    13.33 EDT
    London mayoral hopeful Count Binface said “down with fascism, up with Ceefax” after discovering he had beaten Britain First’s candidate Nick Scanlon.

He told reporters at City Hall: “It looks like I have defeated Britain First in an election.

“Come on, you have to cheer about that…down with fascism, up with Ceefax, what can I say?”
  • Options

Leon said:

Make London FUN Again

A few months back I went out for a pizza with some mates in Peckham and staggered home ten hours later after going to two clubs, crashing a 30th birthday party, drinking some woman's breast milk and generally having a bloody great time. Sadiq Khan haters please explain.
    Five WEEKS ago I spent three long wondrous days taking yopo, mambe (you don't even know what that is), and ayahuasca in the jungles of Colombia about ten minutes from Pablo Escobar's hippo themed drug and execution palace with the world's greatest scientific expert on DMT, a famous movie director, two billionaires, a US/German film crew, a beautiful and celebrated Swiss musician and the great NIECE of Virginia Woolf, and a famous ayahuesquero who recently escaped assassination in Medellin and we all did San Pedro after that

You went out in ++ checks notes ++ "Peckham"
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Just spotted that the newly minted London Assembly member for West Central is the son of Heather Small. I’ll let others suggest which of her back catalogue should apply to current circumstances…

She won the Olympics for London.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Moving On Up.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,326

Leon said:

Make London FUN Again

Maaate.

• Options
    edited May 4
    l
    Ratters said:

Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:

What a S show
    It isn’t a s show

Nah I'm on Andy's side on this one. If it's close enough for a recount, every part of the election should be recounted.

To be able to pick and choose areas to recount is worse than doing none.
    Labour can’t legally refuse a recount so it must be those in charge of the count who refused . Normally we see recounts before any official declaration .
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,711
    ToryJim said:

Go on, residents of Havering and Bromley.

Watch this and tell me you don't want to be part of it.

https://youtu.be/vA7GIeIJV-U
  • Options

From the Grauniad:

9m ago
    13.33 EDT
    London mayoral hopeful Count Binface said “down with fascism, up with Ceefax” after discovering he had beaten Britain First’s candidate Nick Scanlon.

He told reporters at City Hall: “It looks like I have defeated Britain First in an election.

“Come on, you have to cheer about that…down with fascism, up with Ceefax, what can I say?”

Fascists don't usually see facts.

But I wish he'd come first. Surely everybody could get behind his policy of making Thames Water's execs go for a swim in London River?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Make London FUN Again

Five WEEKS ago I spent three long wondrous days taking yopo, mambe (you don't even know what that is), and ayahuasca in the jungles of Colombia about ten minutes from Pablo Escobar's hippo themed drug and execution palace with the world's greatest scientific expert on DMT, a famous movie director, two billionaires, a US/German film crew, a beautiful and celebrated Swiss musician and the great NIECE of Virginia Woolf, and a famous ayahuesquero who recently escaped assassination in Medellin and we all did San Pedro after that

Very nice but I bet you couldn't get the bus home.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

murali_s said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Make London FUN Again

He'll win a 4th, 5th, and 6th term if he wants to. He calls the shots in London. Susan Hall is just a prelude to what is coming as far as the Tories are concerned. Popcorn time after the next GE as Badenoch, Braverman, Truss and other fruitloops in the Tory slug it out.

WAtching from a distance, I'm genuinely astounded. For months, we had wall to wall ULEZzery on PB on how Mr Khan was doomed, ditto because of tent cities, unavailability of traditional eel pie on ever street corner, etc. etc.
    Then you know as little of London as we do of Scotland, as you often point out

It was obvious that Hall was a profoundly mediocre candidate. As soon as they announced her as standing against Khan we all knew that was it, the mayoralty was lost again. Shaun Bailey was a fairly weak candidate, but he was better than that silly woman

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,841

Leon said:

Make London FUN Again

Maaate.

Cringe.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,459
    Carnyx said:

murali_s said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Make London FUN Again

The ULEZ thing tends to be brought up by Tories who’ve never lived in Central London. Ownership of cars, generally, is not the pressing issue in Zones 1 & 2 it is elsewhere. Maybe a bit different at the edges but not all of them.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

murali_s said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Make London FUN Again

Then you know as little of London as we do of Scotland, as you often point out

It was obvious that Hall was a profoundly mediocre candidate. As soon as they announced her as standing against Khan we all knew that was it, the mayoralty was lost again. Shaun Bailey was a fairly weak candidate, but he was better than that silly woman

Just trying to remember who was saying on PB only last week Mr Khan was doomed because reasons. But it slips my mind. Probably because I need to go and open a bottle of pinot grigio to go with the risotto.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,753
    So has Donald Trump yet congratulated Susan Hall on her stunning victory over the forces of Woke?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

murali_s said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Make London FUN Again

The ULEZ thing tends to be brought up by Tories who’ve never lived in Central London. Ownership of cars, generally, is not the pressing issue in Zones 1 & 2 it is elsewhere. Maybe a bit different at the edges but not all of them.
    The biggest issue with ULEZ was lack of support for those commuting outside of London and into London. But who to blame for that, well, erh the Tories.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Make London FUN Again

Very nice but I bet you couldn't get the bus home.
    I did. God was driving
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,629
    ToryJim said:

Search for the Hero
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Make London FUN Again

Young? You? If you're young I'm claiming my teenage years back.
  • Options
    I can heartily recommend mambe, by the way. A delightful drug, like mild cocaine mixed with a really really excellent cup of tea, with a glass of champagne, taken as a quid of chewing powder

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ypadu
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,061
    ToryJim said:

Also the son of RL legend and RU coach, and my childhood mate and halfback partner, Shaun Edwards.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,718

Hmm. Some TwiX users appear to be blaming this same Kate Ferguson for the Hall's won rumours.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,689

Leon said:

Make London FUN Again

Maaate.

Perhaps there were extenuating circumstances - he could have been stuck in a lift with her over an extended period.
  • Options
    legatuslegatus Posts: 126

That does not add up. Parties do not decide whether a recount happens . Only the Returning Officer can turn down a request - albeit at risk of legal challenge.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,244
    edited May 4

Metro Mayors have to do that realistically, as they need to work with Governments as well as with Council leaders on their patch of any political hue. That's particularly the case where you're not going to win if it's a down the line party vote.

No doubt the Tories would far rather have a Mayor of the West Midlands (or Tees Valley or anywhere else) who is branded as an "independent minded" Tory than have a Labour Mayor. Having a very loyalist figure would no doubt be ideal, but isn't at all realistic.
    It’s cowardice. Every time the Tories get unpopular, you get Tories trying to distance themselves from their party whilst not having the balls to leave. You don’t tend to get it with Labour.

My recent election literature from Stuart Anderson, Tory candidate for South Shropshire is notable for the almost complete absence of reference to his affiliation. Cowardice.
  • Options

Leon said:

Make London FUN Again

Maaate.

Cringe.
    Sorry you missed it.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,050
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Khan's support actually increased, so how do we interpret that as anything but an endorsement for ULEZ?

I've been saying this for months, the people opposed to ULEZ don't live in London. Londoners either don't care (as they don't drive) or they are supportive.

The Tories were entirely wrong to oppose it (of course they forced Khan to bring it in but that's a different story). They have got completely the wrong end of the stick and done the opposite of what they should have done.

In Outer London, where people drive, Khan's vote didn't increase (except in the wealthy pro green SW), in inner London it did.

His margin in inner London, where you can use a bus, taxi or tube and don't need the car, was enough to secure him victory in London overall
    In inner London yes his margin was up, in Outer London there was no change and indeed in some areas like Bexley and Bromley Hall won comfortably
    Hall's vote went up more, Bailey got 100630 first preference votes in 2021 while she got 111,216 votes this year.

Doesn't matter. The question was whther Khan's vote went up. Which it did.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,721

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Doesn't matter. The question was whther Khan's vote went up. Which it did.
    And Johnson rigged the voting system to help both of them.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162

If you have to call someone back from the pub can you guarantee the quality of the count?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,529
    ToryJim said:

And son of former Wales and the current French defence coach Shaun Edwards.
This discussion has been closed.