Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is a trifecta of Tory mayoral victories on the cards? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,895
    Scott_xP said:

@REWearmouth

Labour says it has won the York & North Yorkshire Mayor race

“This is a truly historic result in York and North Yorkshire. Keir Starmer's Labour party is now winning in Rishi Sunak’s backyard," says a spokeswoman

Big win. About 7-8%ish lead on a quick visual.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,365
    Tories wiped out in Castle Point, where they polled about 76% at the general election. Independents have apparently taken all their seats.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,116
    edited May 3

Labour have just won the Mayoralty in York and North Yorkshire. 15k majority.

Good result for Labour, who win on 35%

Conservative 27.3%
    Liberal Democrat 16.2%
    Green 8.0%
    Independent (who used to be in the Yorkshire Party) 7.0%
    Independent (who used to be in the Conservative Party) 6.5%

I wonder what would have happened under the old voting system?
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,435
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

If Gaza has damaged Labour in the West Midlands, as claimed, isn't it fair to ask whether it might have damaged them in London as well?

I think it will certainly have damaged Labour in London, the only question is how much, and whether Khan being a Muslim will have ameliorated the effect somewhat.

I'm now of the view that Hall will win. Almost certainly irrational, and probably due to too much exposure to ramping on here. Yet I have had that creeping feeling in my bones since my wife forgot to vote yesterday. I don't think Labour got its vote out.
    Sadiq is going to win by 10+ points, this is just expectations management from Labour. There's no way it's actually close let alone it being a loss.
    I agree. Interesting if there was someone with a smidge more personality then it might be much closer. Shaun Bailey would have wiped the floor with Khan this time round.
    I think you're slightly overestimating Bailey as a candidate there, and underestimating Hall (and also assume you're talking about Bailey as was - the CCHQ photos would have utterly done for him this year).

Bailey had a bit more appeal to the centre with a back story about a difficult childhood, working hard, helping disadvantaged kids and so on. But he wasn't massively charismatic, nor was he terribly politically astute. And it isn't actually all about the centre - Hall does have an outer London appeal to blue-ish suburbs - that drives Tory turnout to a degree and pulls in the populist voters with no terribly coherent outlook but a general desire to stick two fingers up to what they think of as the elites.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,312
    The Labour majority for the Yorkshire mayor is something of a shock.

I'd assumed a Tory victory.

They were defeated by 15,000 votes.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,082
    Andy_JS said:

With about half the councils declared the Tories are down 218 seats, although perhaps the remaining councils have more seats at stake.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-68609729

And have held 185, so running at greater than 50% losses.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,498
    @BestForBritain
    The extent to which Sunak has checked out leaves me agog. Not only is this like he asked AI to compose the blandest, flaccidest, most defeated statement, but the content is the same he's used for 18 months resulting in his party slipping further behind!

What's the strategy? ~AA

https://x.com/BestForBritain/status/1786386515741770011
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,346

York is Labour, North Yorkshire largely Tory but given the national picture overall it clearly went Labour
  • Options
    AbandonedHopeAbandonedHope Posts: 87

🤮

God didn’t create North Yorkshire for it to go Labour ☹️

I don't understand why you thought it would be a win for the Tories.
  • Options
    Not sure whether this Sun reporter is a reliable source.

"Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4
    London Mayoral race update....

Sounds like Tory Susan Hall is ahead in the voting in Camden / Barnet patch

A Ulez bounce?"

https://twitter.com/kateferguson4/status/1786373548736467173
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

With about half the councils declared the Tories are down 218 seats, although perhaps the remaining councils have more seats at stake.

And have held 185, so running at greater than 50% losses.
    Although they have re-overtaken the LibDems in raw numbers, 191 to 184.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,895

About a 10% swing on top of 2022/23 local results, let alone prior GEs.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,166
    Scott_xP said:

@REWearmouth

Labour says it has won the York & North Yorkshire Mayor race

“This is a truly historic result in York and North Yorkshire. Keir Starmer's Labour party is now winning in Rishi Sunak’s backyard," says a spokeswoman

Rishi’s backyard is massive though so I imagine most constituencies border it.
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 474
    The Galloway surge in Rochdale has netted them 2 seats and one of them was from an
    Andy_JS said:

Tories wiped out in Castle Point, where they polled about 76% at the general election. Independents have apparently taken all their seats.

It didn't help that the Conservatives failed to get 13 of their candidates nominated 'due to human error'
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,898
    viewcode said:

Con have lost 215 after 53 of 107 councils declared. At that rate their losses will be near to 400 than 500.

How do you get that? The Conservatives are defending 989 seats. So far they have retained 184 and lost 219, well over half. Unless the rate of loss changes, they should lose over 500.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

If Gaza has damaged Labour in the West Midlands, as claimed, isn't it fair to ask whether it might have damaged them in London as well?

There are not many muslims in London though are there? Oh.

(15% in 2021)
    Ilford North is 50% Muslim.
    Do you mean Ilford South?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,829
    HYUFD said:

York is Labour, North Yorkshire largely Tory but given the national picture overall it clearly went Labour
    There was an opinion poll that pointed to a Labour win.

Rishi Sunak now lives under the control of a Labour mayor!
  • Options

Labour have just won the Mayoralty in York and North Yorkshire. 15k majority.

Good result for Labour, who win on 35%

Conservative 27.3%
    Liberal Democrat 16.2%
    Green 8.0%
    Independent 7.0%
    Other Independent 6.5%

I wonder what would have happened under the old voting system?
    You'd have thought Labour would still have won, and quite easily. The 37.7% of the vote that went to Lib Dem, Green or independent would have needed to split very heavily to Tory over Labour, which seems extremely unlikely in the current political climate.
  • Options
    edited May 3
    Andy_JS said:

"Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4

A Ulez bounce?"

Khan was ahead, by a small amount, in the Camden+Barnet constituency last time around, 67610 to 65822.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,037
    Andy_JS said:

I believe they didn't fill out their nomination papers properly. Round there, independent is generally to the right of the Conservatives.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,768
    Andy_JS said:

Yeah.

If Wikipedia is to be believed, the Conservatives went into this batch of elections defending 989 seats (which I think is where the 500 losses thing came from- losing half).

The BBC front page has the Conservatives on 188 (-221), so that's 409 ex-Conservative seats declared and a retention rate of 46%.

Story-wise, is it now a steady drip flow of bad news for the government until the West Midlands result tomorrow?

And then London?
  • Options
    @georgeeaton

The Tories should derive no comfort from Houchen's victory. When they're losing in places like North Yorkshire (home of Rishi Sunak) and Rushmoor (home of the British Army), they're heading for a big defeat.
  • Options
    @KevinASchofield

Labour say they've also gained Adur District Council in West Sussex, which the Tories have held since 2002 and has never been Labour-run.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,405
    This is just WONDERFUL from Penny Mordaunt
    https://youtu.be/rQZP5OCsaQg?si=WNzt4LUbQFEd8wnq
  • Options
    edited May 3
    https://x.com/kateferguson4/status/1786380400144629779?s=46&t=XZnvDoD4UNkhJcaydPyoWA

Kate has backed off from the Hall is ahead in Barnet thing
  • Options
    edited May 3

HYUFD said:

There was an opinion poll that pointed to a Labour win.

Rishi Sunak now lives under the control of a Labour mayor!
    Well, he lives in an area where there is a Labour mayor. It's a bit much to talk of anyone being under the Control of an elected official.

Also, he lives most of the time in London which, at time of writing, already has a Labour mayor.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,512
    HYUFD said:

The rural vote is abandoning you. Can't think why [checks notes], oh yeah, what you have done to farming.
  • Options
    Greens doing well in the far East:

Suffolk PCC Election Result:

🌳 CON: 40.2% (-14.5)
    🌹 LAB: 31.7% (+8.7)
    🌍 GRN: 17.1% (+3.5)
    🔶 LDM: 11.0% (+2.3)

Conservative HOLD.
    Changes w/ 2021.

electionmaps.uk/le2024
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,719
    Norwich results in and as predicted by yours truly a poorish result for Labour - 2 wards lost to the Greens but they managed to win back a ward where their councillor had defected to indy over Gaza by just 49 votes over him.
    Crucially Council is now
    19 Lab
    15 Green
    3 LD
    2 Independent (Lab defect to Indy over Gaza)

Greens can build a ruling coalition
  • Options
    edited May 3
    Rishi flown up to Teeside to congratulate Ben Houchen, Houchen looking distinctly underwhelmed.

Rishi delighted and brimming with enthusiasm however as Houchen has clearly helped Rishi more than Rishi has helped Houchen
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,926
    edited May 3
    Not looking good for Labour on Oxford City Council at all. Two very safe wards going to recounts vs the anti-LTN indies.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 875
    Andy_JS said:

"Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4

A Ulez bounce?"

They're still on verification, so that sounds unlikely.
  • Options

https://x.com/kateferguson4/status/1786380400144629779?s=46&t=XZnvDoD4UNkhJcaydPyoWA

I wonder whether some of the Hallites are adopting Trumpite tactics and think that if they just say they're winning, they can always follow-up on their eventual defeat with claims that the vote was rigged.
  • Options
    edited May 3

I'm not shocked. York itself is one of the most left-wing places in the country these days, and it has a pretty big population compared to the rest of North Yorks, (about 140,000 in the urban area).
  • Options
    @HannahAlOthman

Rishi Sunak is in Teesside, says the Labour Party “threw everything could at this election.”

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,562

HYUFD said:

The rural vote is abandoning you. Can't think why [checks notes], oh yeah, what you have done to farming.
    I doubt its that - how many people in rural parts are actually involved in farming? I live in rural wilts, know a few farmers, but the days of a farmer employing 20 locals are gone.

The Tory vote is going down in rural parts for the same reasons as elsewhere - been in too long, mortgages have gone up (external factors mainly, but blamed on the government - see also COL).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Rishi flown up to Teeside to congratulate Ben Houchen, Houchen looking distinctly underwhelmed.

Rishi delighted and brimming with enthusiasm however as Houchen has clearly helped Rishi more than Rishi has helped Houchen

Wait until next week if/when they announce the cancellation of investment in Teesside.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4

A Ulez bounce?"

Khan was ahead, by a small amount, in the Camden+Barnet constituency last time around, 67610 to 65822.
    Yes, if the London Mayoral election was tied then Camden and Barnet should go clearly Tory.

Enfield and Haringey, City and East and Greenwich and Lewisham would be the key swing areas closest to the London wide result
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@HannahAlOthman

Rishi Sunak is in Teesside, says the Labour Party “threw everything could at this election.”

The baby doesn't look impressed.

(No - I don't mean the one in the suit...)
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,520
    HYUFD said:

And some on here had a go at you yesterday but as so often you are correct
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@georgeeaton

The Tories should derive no comfort from Houchen's victory. When they're losing in places like North Yorkshire (home of Rishi Sunak) and Rushmoor (home of the British Army), they're heading for a big defeat.

Also they lose all of their Teeside seats on a similar swing.

• Options

I wonder whether some of the Hallites are adopting Trumpite tactics and think that if they just say they're winning, they can always follow-up on their eventual defeat with claims that the vote was rigged.
    They can keep doing it for a while as I am currently in profit on Hall...
  • Options
    AlsoLei said:

Andy_JS said:

"Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4

A Ulez bounce?"

Party agents at verification can see the ballot papers. You do some box counts (tallies of the papers you see from different wards). You then have a pretty good idea of the result.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,271
    edited May 3
    Andy_JS said:

"Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4

A Ulez bounce?"

Barnet and Camden London Assembly Constituency contains within it the parliamentary constituency of Holborn and St. Pancras, represented by Sir Keir Starmer.

Awks

If Susan Hall is ahead in B&C, then that's a *minimum* 3.5% swing to CON (ie a 7% lead comes down to zero). Khan's lead over Con in 2021 was 55% vs 45%, a gap of 10%. This adds more evidence to the rather small pile that says Hall may take it. As ever, DYOR.
  • Options
    Con hold Walsall, with no changes. I wonder why Walsall has moved so far to the right.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,331
    Off-topic, if I may.

I went for a swim this morning in Peterborough Lido, near the river in Peterborough. A 50-metre outside pool, but heated, it was rather lovely. The cathedral is easily visible from the building.

It didn't have 'noom', but I'd recommend a dip there to anyone.
  • Options
    AlsoLei said:

Andy_JS said:

"Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4

A Ulez bounce?"

She's just tweeting again pulling back from the claim
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 875
    HYUFD said:

I suspect that Houchen's been up all night, which might account for some of the difference in demeanour - but, yes, the contrast was startling, wasn't it?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4

A Ulez bounce?"

Barnet and Camden London Assembly Constituency contains within it the parliamentary constituency of Holborn and St. Pancras, represented by Sir Keir Starmer.

Awks

If Susan Hall is ahead in B&C, then that's a *minimum* 3.5% swing to CON (ie a 7% lead comes down to zero). Khan's lead over Con in 2021 was 55% vs 45%, a gap of 10%. This adds more evidence to the rather small pile that says Hall may take it. As ever, DYOR.
    Ferguson has since basically retracted this tweet.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4

A Ulez bounce?"

Awks

See above though
  • Options
    @thhamilton

"Labour is winning in Rishi Sunak's back yard" is now true whether you take that to mean North Yorkshire, Southampton or Westminster. Not California, though.
  • Options
    The Galloway surge in Rochdale only netted two seats but the swings were stonking.

Central Rochdale (Rochdale)
    Workers Party 2,016 (53.0%, +53.0 compared to 2021)
    Labour 1,541 (40.5%, -44.1%)
    Liberal Democrats 144 (3.8%, -1.3%)
    Conservative 106 (2.8%, -3.9%)
    No Green candidate (3.6% in 2021)
    Workers Party GAIN from Labour
    Swing 48.5% from Labour to Workers Party

Milkstone and Deeplish
    Workers Party 1,812 (62.4%, +62.4% compared to 2021)
    Labour 713 (24.5%, -38.9%)
    Liberal Democrats 152 (5.2%, -14.8%)
    Conservative 118 (4.1%, -8.8%)
    Green 111 (3.8%, +0.1%)
    Swing 50.6% from Labour to Workers Party
  • Options
    edited May 3
    Sean_F said:

Con hold Walsall, with no changes. I wonder why Walsall has moved so far to the right.

Because it's full of lower middle-class and upper working-class voters, with not many rich or poor ones. That suits the Tories. (There is a large EM population but it's concentrated in a few safe Labour wards). Next door to Cannock Chase which has moved in the same direction.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

It will be down given the national trend but still most rural areas should in the end go Conservative just as most inner city areas went Labour in 2019.

It is suburbs and market and commuter towns which decide elections not rural areas or inner cities. The Tories haven't done much different to farming than what they were doing in 2019, indeed if anything Rishi is more protectionist on free trade deals than Boris and Truss were
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,607

As I have repeatedly said she has the ability on her feet to be an excellent LOTO and I think she will be if she holds on. I can imagine that wit making PM Starmer's time at PMQs somewhat uncomfortable. Will she be there though? That's looking a slightly larger question today than before these elections.
  • Options
    Labour gain Adur
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@HannahAlOthman

Fuuuuuuck. Read the room Rishi. You see the glum guy there to your right? The one who refused to call himself a Conservative? The one who refused to even wear a blue rosette at the declaration? The one whose victory is the death knell for all your MPs in the region?

His expression is what you should be wearing. But no, you had decided that Mayoralties were all that you need to stay in the job for as long as you possibly can, party be damned.

So the putsch appears to be off, though the slide towards ELE continues unabated. Sunak looks like the kind of chap who will go long so as to better ensure that the Good Times everyone is experiencing continues.

No chance of an election before at least mid-November.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,056
    Rishi's going to be all over Street too if Street wins the WM mayoralty. It's like the scooby doo plot, mask off and Oh guess what they were Conservative all along xD
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,494
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4

A Ulez bounce?"

Awks

Ferguson has backtracked on this Tweet
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Wait until next week if/when they announce the cancellation of investment in Teesside.
    Sunak missed a trick not announcing it this afternoon.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@georgeeaton

I gave your post a like despite your incorrect spelling of Teesside.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@HannahAlOthman

Sunak really should adopt the soapbox from Major, for the 1992 vibes as well as disguising his lack of height.
  • Options
    Going to be very tight on 500 under/ over based on current figures
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Sunak missed a trick not announcing it this afternoon.
    It's a step forward for him. He could have announced it last week!
  • Options

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4

A Ulez bounce?"

Awks

Indeed. See https://x.com/kateferguson4/status/1786380400144629779#m

But I'm wondering if she retracted it because they haven't started counting yet, it's just verification today. Which makes me think...

Historically postal vote leaks from the verification process are one of the best ways to predict an election (wasn't Ruth Davison chastised for such a leak in one of the Scottish elections, and it was definitely a factor in Brexit 2016). Such leaks are illegal so if was derived from a postal vote verification leak she would have had to retract it ASAP.

Hmm.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,026

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@georgeeaton

Middlesbrough also often suffers similarly on here.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,166
    Sean_F said:

It is quite strange considering the rest of Poland moved back towards the centre.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,893

Scott_xP said:

@HannahAlOthman

Fuuuuuuck. Read the room Rishi. You see the glum guy there to your right? The one who refused to call himself a Conservative? The one who refused to even wear a blue rosette at the declaration? The one whose victory is the death knell for all your MPs in the region?

His expression is what you should be wearing. But no, you had decided that Mayoralties were all that you need to stay in the job for as long as you possibly can, party be damned.

So the putsch appears to be off, though the slide towards ELE continues unabated. Sunak looks like the kind of chap who will go long so as to better ensure that the Good Times everyone is experiencing continues.

What on earth is going on with Sunak’s suit there? He looks like a trainee real estate agent.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4

A Ulez bounce?"

Awks

But I'm wondering if she retracted it because they haven't started counting yet, it's just verification today. Which makes me think...

Historically postal vote leaks from the verification process are one of the best ways to predict an election (wasn't Ruth Davison chastised for such a leak in one of the Scottish elections, and it was definitely a factor in Brexit 2016). Such leaks are illegal so if was derived from a postal vote verification leak she would have had to retract it ASAP.

Hmm.
    I see that her description is, "one of the most creative journalists I know." Well, quite.
  • Options
    DM_Andy said:

The Galloway surge in Rochdale only netted two seats but the swings were stonking.

Central Rochdale (Rochdale)
    Workers Party 2,016 (53.0%, +53.0 compared to 2021)
    Labour 1,541 (40.5%, -44.1%)
    Liberal Democrats 144 (3.8%, -1.3%)
    Conservative 106 (2.8%, -3.9%)
    No Green candidate (3.6% in 2021)
    Swing 48.5% from Labour to Workers Party

Milkstone and Deeplish
    Workers Party 1,812 (62.4%, +62.4% compared to 2021)
    Labour 713 (24.5%, -38.9%)
    Liberal Democrats 152 (5.2%, -14.8%)
    Conservative 118 (4.1%, -8.8%)
    Green 111 (3.8%, +0.1%)
    Swing 50.6% from Labour to Workers Party

That actually all feels pretty underwhelming to me. Galloway's grouping have just had a big by-election win and will have piled people enthused by that in to try to back it up. Two out of twenty seats contested, Labour still comfortably in control - Galloway probably isn't thumbing through curtain catalogues for his constituency office.
  • Options
    It looks as if Basildon will be going to NOC.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,939
    Khan worth backing at 1.12?

A 12% return overnight not to be sniffed at, but don't like betting when other people might actually know how the counts are going...
  • Options

Going to be very tight on 500 under/ over based on current figures

If I was betting right now I would go for over.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,616
    Andy_JS said:

I'm not shocked. York itself is one of the most left-wing places in the country these days, and it has a pretty big population compared to the rest of North Yorks, (about 140,000 in the urban area).
    While true to an extent (Cons haven't held City of York council for ages) most of the rest of N Yorks has been pretty blue, including the York Outer parliamentary constituency - so York overall is not some hotbed of leftism. In other areas, such as Harrogate, LDs have been stronger.

This is a big result for Lab, but not a massive shock given the national picture and the by election result in Selby and Ainsty.
  • Options
    Humberside PCC is a good result for the Tories though one that the old voting system might have meant a Labour gain:

Jonathan Evison (Con) 51,083
    Simon O'Rourke (Lab) 45,846
    Bob Morgan (Lib Dem) 30,848
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,494
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4

A Ulez bounce?"

Awks

Hmm.
    That makes less sense than the Chewbacca defence. She's said why she retracted it. If she's lying about the retraction why do you think she's telling the truth about the initial claim?
  • Options
    DM_Andy said:

Scott_xP said:

@HannahAlOthman

Sunak really should adopt the soapbox from Major, for the 1992 vibes as well as disguising his lack of height.
    He would need a super size one though, otherwise he might still be shorter than the crowd...

(I hate short jibes as much as the next man, but I can't help it...)
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,405
    edited May 3
    HYUFD said:

Labour gain Adur

Swing must be massive and loads of abstentions. I didn't vote.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@georgeeaton

Its Teaside, right?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,176
    Sean_F said:

Andy_JS said:

I believe they didn't fill out their nomination papers properly. Round there, independent is generally to the right of the Conservatives.
    I’m out of touch with my former stamping ground, so you may be right, but in my day Castle Point Conservatives were pretty right-wing. They were also a very tight-knit bunch. Newcomers not always welcome.
    The Canvey Island Independence people, IIRC, could easily be mistaken for ‘old-fashioned’ Labour.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@HannahAlOthman

What on earth is going on with Sunak’s suit there? He looks like a trainee real estate agent.
    Tech Bros rarely wear suits that fit
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,926
    Sean_F said:

To get further away from Wolverhampton?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,893
    Scott_xP said:

Scott_xP said:

@HannahAlOthman

He’s very small and slight.
    The problem is that he DRESSES smaller and slighter.

He deserves the pint-sized jibes.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Scott_xP said:

@HannahAlOthman

Or a suit at all
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,594
    edited May 3
    rkrkrk said:

Khan worth backing at 1.12?

A 12% return overnight not to be sniffed at, but don't like betting when other people might actually know how the counts are going...

Hall tightened bigly on the Kate Ferguson story, now drifting just a shade.

Edit tightening again.
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,553

That is bonkers.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,414

🤮

God didn’t create North Yorkshire for it to go Labour ☹️

It's Rishi's personal vote.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,664

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

I think it will certainly have damaged Labour in London, the only question is how much, and whether Khan being a Muslim will have ameliorated the effect somewhat.

I'm now of the view that Hall will win. Almost certainly irrational, and probably due to too much exposure to ramping on here. Yet I have had that creeping feeling in my bones since my wife forgot to vote yesterday. I don't think Labour got its vote out.
    Hall is slowly drifting again. That young Rabbit chap has beaten you with her mind games. She set the hare running here.
    The whole experience is more evidence (as if any were needed) that delaying the count until Saturday is moronic. Three days of stressful speculation for all sides: just count the votes already and make it stop.
    The agents there - and the last London mayoral count I went to, there were a lot of them there - will have a fair idea by now, unless it’s very close (which I doubt).
  • Options
    edited May 3
    Labour lost all its seats in Pendle. Presumably to some Hamas pompom wavers?

Edit: Not all seats declared yet.
  • Options
    edited May 3
    Hall back to 7/1. (Was 35/1 for a time yesterday).

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.201750386
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,741
    PJH said:

First?

Ok 2nd. In Suella's constituency where the Council has 4 more LibDems and 1 more Labour councillors.
    There was also a County Council by-election there yesterday, Sarisbury Ward. No change but a large swing

Con 46.6% (-10.8)
    LD 34.3% (+21.3)
    Lab 13.2 (+0.7)
    Ind 5.7 (-7.6)

No Hampshire Ind (4.0)

Just thought I'd post it for completeness as Fareham was reviewed. Surprised LD vote was up rather than Labour, given neither were anywhere previously but perhaps shows that in former LD-ish areas there is still a tendency for the anti-Con vote to go to them.

No danger to Ms Braverman.
    Libdems now have 8 councillors (up 4), Labour now has 1.
    The Libdems have been the largest party in a NOC council, Labour have never been that strong.
    The only chance of defeating Braverman is for the Labour vote to collapse in the LibDems favour. That's not going to happen this year.
  • Options
    "Go home and prepare for government."

The SDP have taken a seat off Labour in Leeds.
  • Options
    Workers Party pick up a third Councillor, on Park Ward, Calderdale Council with 55%
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4

A Ulez bounce?"

Awks

Hmm.
    That makes less sense than the Chewbacca defence. She's said why she retracted it. If she's lying about the retraction why do you think she's telling the truth about the initial claim?
    Well obviously you never believe anything until its been officially denied.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4

A Ulez bounce?"

Awks

Hmm.
    She may be lying about the retraction because telling the truth about the retraction ("I am retracting that tweet because it proves I leaked data from a postal vote verification and that's illegal") would get her arrested.

I don't know if that's what happened, but if it did it's not as inconsistent as you think
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,147
    Scott_xP said:

@HannahAlOthman

He looks like Barcus Wroot.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

PJH said:

Current Scores on the Doors

Lab +69
    Con -177
    LD +30
    Ind +63
    Grn +15

Giving me flashbacks to the 1990s when half the local Tories on Bridgnorth DC started calling themselves Independents.

Led eventually to much hilarity when there was a schism over the creation of Shropshire UA and the blocs split into the Tories with Independents who led the council whilst the opposition was the Independents with Tories.

I once knew an old LD Councillor who called them CISCMAI - "Conservative in Sheep's Clothing Masquerading as Independent"
    Independents. Residents. Ratepayers.

All Tories.
    If you believe @bigjohnowls, the Labour Party and the LibDems are also Tories.

Which makes these elections results an incredible victory for them.
    The Tories are clearly cheating by entering so many candidates under fake names.

Meanwhile I did chuckle at this from the Scab Unity party https://twitter.com/LeftUnityParty/status/1786356114197528958

Big congratulations to the Blackburn Independents who won 9 seats and are now the official opposition. They campaigned on Gaza and the arrogance of Labour.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,414

In the context of the question, "wonderful" it wasn't.
    Cheered up her own troops, no doubt, but pretty crass.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,939
    Andy_JS said:

Hall back to 7/1. (Was 35/1 for a time yesterday).

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.201750386

Hard to know how much to read into it. Not a very liquid market.

If someone *knew* Hall had won or had a strong suspicion as they were at the counts surely they'd buy up everything...
This discussion has been closed.