Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is a trifecta of Tory mayoral victories on the cards? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686

CON Gain West Putney (Wandsworth) on 5.5% swing for London watchers

Maybe this is going to be quite a close race after all.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,183
    GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

Basildon was a bad result for the Conservatives, who lost to NOC.

HYUFD said:

Labour gain Nuneaton

All the "bellwethers" are topping?
    Not entirely, but Labour are plainly in poll position.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,368
    edited May 3
    Khan 1.25
    Hall 4.5

What is going on?

Are the two council by-elections in London a clue? One could be random but two could just be a pattern?
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 885
    From the BBC
    Speaking at a press event in Teesside International Airport, Mr Sunak said the results showed at the general election election voters "are going to stick with us".

I get that you always have to spin positively but that sounds more like disconnection with reality.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,912

DavidL said:

Broxborne is a Tory hold. Alas poor @NickPalmer

Nick's old stamping ground is Broxtowe, not Broxbourne, I believe?
    No need to be obroxious.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,466
    Selebian said:

Leon said:

My cleaner has just messaged me saying

“your like a male Judith Chalmers!!!”

Less menacing, if also less grammatically correct, than messaging saying: "you're like a male Jill Dando" :hushed:
    He’s more Jan Dildo.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,796
    Hall now 4.5/5 on Betfair...
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,742
    Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@georgeeaton

The Tories should derive no comfort from Houchen's victory. When they're losing in places like North Yorkshire (home of Rishi Sunak) and Rushmoor (home of the British Army), they're heading for a big defeat.

Also they lose all of their Teeside seats on a similar swing.

I gave your post a like despite your incorrect spelling of Teesside.
    Middlesbrough also often suffers similarly on here.
    Edinburgh
    Middlesbrough
    Loughborough

I mean why do people get confused? It's not like they sound similar - Edinberg, Middlesbruh and Looga-barooga :wink:
    Not g as in berg: it's a voiced aspirate (like a voiced ch as in loch) ...
    One of the enduring mysteries of PB for me is, given the amount of nonsense I post, why people take my comments seriously.

So, seriously, they are all of course different. I'm also aware that Loughborough is not generally pronounced Looga-barooga.

I am though through with thorough thought on pronunciation - I've never bought that rough is rough though bough is bough.
    I trust you are aware that one can have ghoti and chips, to recapitulate what GBS so well said.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 8,625
    nico679 said:

Andy_JS said:
    That Putney result wasn’t good for Labour . There’s also a Bromley by-election result coming later .
    They had a comfortable hold in Islington on good turnout (vs LD, Grn, no Tory)
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,080
    Andy_JS said:

67/107 councils declared

Lab +102
    Con -244
    LD +35
    Ind +78
    Grn +25

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-68609729

Looks like Con will end up losing 400 seats?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,767
    edited May 3
    boulay said:

Leon said:

I hope you put her right, it’s “you’re” not “your”. Otherwise she’s correct, even down to the hair.
    I hope Chalmers is not litigious otherwise you might have a libel case to defend!

Also, interesting gender-stereotyping of 'my cleaner' on your behalf, you male(?) chauvinist pig :wink:

ETA: Of course, you may just happen to know Leon's cleaner, in which case my sincere apologies :smile:
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 48,703
    edited May 3

Leon said:

Heyday now some years/decades in the past, and fewer people every year know who you are?
    She’s of a certain age (my cleaner)
  • Options
    If the Tories manage to pull of the big upset in London it will be absolute carnage. I think Susan Hall is a crazy person but she's got to be better than Sadiq.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

67/107 councils declared

Lab +102
    Con -244
    LD +35
    Ind +78
    Grn +25

Depends on the character of the councils yet to come. Pretty sure Swindon (count tomorrow) will slew hugely to Labour.

Reminds me of a German friend watching a test match final innings. Chasing 300, 150-5, so he assumed the batting team was on track to get the runs (no idea of the batting order).
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,005
    edited May 3

Wish I'd taken fuller advantage of the 35 figure yesterday. (Think I reported it on here, not sure).
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,331
    One thing muddying the waters is how many London by-elections are including reform candidates .
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,422
    Nigelb said:

This is just WONDERFUL from Penny Mordaunt
    https://youtu.be/rQZP5OCsaQg?si=WNzt4LUbQFEd8wnq

In the context of the question, "wonderful" it wasn't.
    Cheered up her own troops, no doubt, but pretty crass.
    Actually it was very much to the point. The snp person sounded Australian.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Heyday now some years/decades in the past, and fewer people every year know who you are?
    Arguably both are!
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,336
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

If Gaza has damaged Labour in the West Midlands, as claimed, isn't it fair to ask whether it might have damaged them in London as well?

I think it will certainly have damaged Labour in London, the only question is how much, and whether Khan being a Muslim will have ameliorated the effect somewhat.

Rochdale’s loss is London’s gain - I reckon Gorgeous would have stood on a Gaza ticket and siphoned enough support away from Khan to let Hall through.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

67/107 councils declared

Lab +102
    Con -244
    LD +35
    Ind +78
    Grn +25

Depends on the character of the councils yet to come. Pretty sure Swindon (count tomorrow) will slew hugely to Labour.

Reminds me of a German friend watching a test match final innings. Chasing 300, 150-5, so he assumed the batting team was on track to get the runs (no idea of the batting order).
    Swindon has already declared.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Wish I'd taken fuller advantage of the 35 figure yesterday. (Think I reported it on here, not sure).
    I'm looking good at the moment, but I still think Khan wins, so I am trying to hit the sweet spot for cashing out.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,794
    Leon said:

Leon said:

That's absurd.

All my married friends who have cleaners or housekeepers , those cleaners and housekeepers are vetted by the wife for various reasons.

You AIUI live on your own. Why on earth do you not have a cleaner who is not "of a certain age".
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,819
    edited May 3
    GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

Basildon was a bad result for the Conservatives, who lost to NOC.

HYUFD said:

Labour gain Nuneaton

All the "bellwethers" are topping?
    Except Harlow and Walsall, yes
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,821
    MaxPB said:

If the Tories manage to pull of the big upset in London it will be absolute carnage. I think Susan Hall is a crazy person but she's got to be better than Sadiq.

It will turbocharge the radicalisation of the left with accusations of white supremacy and election stealing.
  • Options
    edited May 3
    London turnout figures:

Barnet & Camden 39.59%
    Ealing & Hillingdon 42.98%
    Greenwich & Lewisham 40.33%
    Merton & Wandsworth 45.99%

https://www.londonelects.org.uk/im-voter/election-progress/verification-and-turnout-data
  • Options
    edited May 3
    *IF* and it really is a big *IF* Labour should lose the Mayoralty it will create an interesting dynamic for the next government, as no doubt Khan will be back in Westminster as an MP at the election, which means SKS suddenly finds a potential rival and a direct threat to him on the backbenches or in the Cabinet.

I've always got the impression there's not a lot of love lost between SKS and Khan so things could get very interesting in the next government.

But Khan Khant lose this. Can he?
  • Options
    I will be so annoyed if the loathsome Khan just scrapes home

“Tory and Labour officials both now saying the London mayoralty could be closer than polls suggested... jitters/excitable chat... tho would still be a huge shock if it was anything other than a Sadiq Khan win”

https://x.com/alexwickham/status/1786404901611884714?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

If he does it by one (mine) I will be annoyed at MYSELF

However I think he’ll still win with a decent lead. My god how stupid are the Tories not putting up a decent candidate!!!
  • Options
    I'm telling you..... they'll be a factor

Workers Party oust deputy leader of Manchester Council (Longsight Ward)
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,374
    Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@georgeeaton

The Tories should derive no comfort from Houchen's victory. When they're losing in places like North Yorkshire (home of Rishi Sunak) and Rushmoor (home of the British Army), they're heading for a big defeat.

Also they lose all of their Teeside seats on a similar swing.

I gave your post a like despite your incorrect spelling of Teesside.
    Middlesbrough also often suffers similarly on here.
    Edinburgh
    Middlesbrough
    Loughborough

I mean why do people get confused? It's not like they sound similar - Edinberg, Middlesbruh and Looga-barooga :wink:
    Not g as in berg: it's a voiced aspirate (like a voiced ch as in loch) ...
    One of the enduring mysteries of PB for me is, given the amount of nonsense I post, why people take my comments seriously.

So, seriously, they are all of course different. I'm also aware that Loughborough is not generally pronounced Looga-barooga.

I am though through with thorough thought on pronunciation - I've never bought that rough is rough though bough is bough.
    Your problem is that you are up against stiff opposition in the Posting Nonsense stakes.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,833

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

67/107 councils declared

Lab +102
    Con -244
    LD +35
    Ind +78
    Grn +25

Swindon has been counted today. Labour +9, Tories -9.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

West Putney is interesting. Not ULEZ terroir, I’d have thought
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Arguably both are!
    Well, yes
  • Options

I'm telling you..... they'll be a factor

Workers Party oust deputy leader of Manchester Council (Longsight Ward)

They will cause a huge amount of trouble once Labour are in government (as well as the Greens to a lesser extent)

The warning signs are there... But for now, it's all about ABC - Anyone But Con!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,597
    Andy_JS said:

Very close result in Leicester & Rutland.

Con 62,280
    Lab 61,420
    Green 23,649
    LD 22,041
    One Leicester 7,104

https://twitter.com/Leicester_News/status/1786405261013287194/photo/1

The Green candidate spoke strongly about the right to peaceful protest, so may be a Gaza factor again.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,903
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Arguably both are!
    Well, yes
    Most of PB is.
  • Options
    edited May 3
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

West Putney is interesting. Not ULEZ terroir, I’d have thought
    Yes, that's the one that interests me. It could be LTNs for Putney rather than ULEZ. People are fed up, despite whatever the studies say the actual people who live near them absolutely loathe them. It's another one of those situations like immigration where all of those obsessives point to their many studies and come up with phantom arguments in favour when the overwhelming sentiment is against.

It also mirrors a similar result in the locals in Enfield last time around where against the national swing the Tories gained 8 seats, all of them around the LTN areas.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,903
    Did we note Coventry ?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,331
    Andy_JS said:

London turnout figures:

Barnet & Camden 39.59%

https://www.londonelects.org.uk/im-voter/election-progress/verification-and-turnout-data

City and East is just over 31% which is poor .
  • Options
    edited May 3
    Andy_JS said:

London turnout figures:

Barnet & Camden 39.59%

More turnouts:

Lambeth & Southwark 33.96%

City & East 31.17% — this comprises Barking & Dagenham, Newham, Tower Hamlets, City of London
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,466
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

That's absurd.

All my married friends who have cleaners or housekeepers , those cleaners and housekeepers are vetted by the wife for various reasons.

You AIUI live on your own. Why on earth do you not have a cleaner who is not "of a certain age".
    I was told a good counter-argument to hiring unattractive au pairs (same applies for cleaners etc).

Most wives think it’s best to hire an ugly au pair because the husband won’t be attracted to her however if you have an ugly au pair then she’s not been pestered for dates by young good looking chaps and the only man in her life who she gets any attention from is the husband who might be happy to have any attention too in a tired marriage.

An attractive au pair will have no shortage of attractive suitors and the last person they will be interested in is a husband they see around the home at their worst who is knackered from work and kids and bored of life.
  • Options
    edited May 3
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

That's absurd.

Because I advertised on nextdoor and 99% of the applicants couldn’t speak very good English. And my previous cleaner, who I liked a lot, was Thai and she never learned good English - and much as I liked her I got tired of her misunderstanding my request to “defrost the fridge”

The successful candidate was a jolly white working class cockney lady in her 60s who lives 2 mins away (another big advantage). So I accepted her with relief. And it’s been a good choice. She’s sweet but efficient, communicates well. Defrosts fridges

Also i once had a really HOT young cleaner and frankly its an embarrassing distraction. I kept yearning
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Andy_JS said:

London turnout figures:

Barnet & Camden 39.59%

City and East is just over 31% which is poor .
    Lambeth & Southwark 34%
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

London turnout figures:

Barnet & Camden 39.59%

More turnouts:

City & East 31.17% — this comprises Barking & Dagenham, Newham, Tower Hamlets, City of London
    These numbers are terrible for Sadiq, that's very, very low turnout from areas that would vote for a donkey with a red rosette on.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Did we note Coventry ?

Fill us in.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,127
    GIN1138 said:

*IF* and it really is a big *IF* Labour should lose the Mayoralty it will create an interesting dynamic for the next government, as no doubt Khan will be back in Westminster as an MP at the election, which means SKS suddenly finds a potential rival and a direct threat to him on the backbenches or in the Cabinet.

I've always got the impression there's not a lot of love lost between SKS and Khan so things could get very interesting in the next government.

Losing the London Mayoralty doesn't seem like a great springboard to becoming Labour leader.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,497
    edited May 3
    MikeL said:

Khan 1.25
    Hall 4.5

What is going on?

Are the two council by-elections in London a clue? One could be random but two could just be a pattern?

They're reading PB. Even worse, they're reading me!

One of the Tom Clancy Jack Ryan books has an artificially induced stock market crash exacerbated by computer programs set to sell at a given value. A trader wonders aloud why this is happening, and his more experienced boss points out that it was down to them: a feedback loop.

So, bear in mind that all PB can do is retweet and repost stuff because we have zero research facilities and pull numbers out of our ass because we are panicky little munchkins and afeard in our beds. And all the chatter and goss is good for Hall, and none of it is good for Khan. We collate this and we (and punters looking over our shoulders) start to place little bets just in case. And so the pebbles start to fall...

The only thing that will stop this is good news coming in for Khan. But until then tension, apprehension, and dissension have begun. And if good news doesn't come in for Khan...well, he's lost then, hasn't he.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

67/107 councils declared

Lab +102
    Con -244
    LD +35
    Ind +78
    Grn +25

Swindon has already declared.
    I must have been mis-informed! Thought it was tomorrow!
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,166
    Is Liz Truss secretly working for Labour?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h068QkWYHs

Times Radio How to Win an Election podcast recorded this morning.
  • Options
    628,856 eligible voters in City & East. Only 195,881 turned out.

516,868 eligible voters in Lambeth & Southwark. Only 175,440 turned out.

• Options

GIN1138 said:

Losing the London Mayoralty doesn't seem like a great springboard to becoming Labour leader.
    Maybe, but Khan is the only high-profile Labour politician to be a winner up to this point, which I think will count for him if he returns to Westminster.

Put it this way, I'm pretty sure SKS would rather him safely outside of Westminster, running City Hall, than have him in his Cabinet or on the backbenches....
  • Options
    BBC PROJECTED NATIONAL VOTE SHARE

Lab 34
    Con 25
    LD 17
    Oth 24
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Sadiq has ex officio big beast status (he has run a bigger organisation than any other Labour MP including Keir Starmer) and losing the Mayoralty will give him a pathway back into the Commons.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Khan 1.25
    Hall 4.5

What is going on?

Well these turnout figures we're getting are useful data.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,096

Partly a baseline effect; the London borough elections were last held in 2022, when everyone was annoyed with Boris.

Good result, but Hall needs a swing to her from 2021.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,793

GIN1138 said:

You would have to be a particular level of crap to lose London in the high water mark year for Labour to Susan Hall.

I don’t think Khan is quite that level of crap, but…
  • Options
    Susan Hall, next Tory PM?
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,183

GIN1138 said:

Khan's political career is finished if he loses to a candidate as terrible as Hall.
  • Options
    Brent & Harrow turnout = 32.68%.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

That's absurd.

Because I advertised on nextdoor and 99% of the applicants couldn’t speak very good English. And my previous cleaner, who I liked a lot, was Thai and she never learned good English - and much as I liked her I got tired of her misunderstanding my request to “defrost the fridge”

The successful candidate was a jolly white working class cockney lady in her 60s who lives 2 mins away (another big advantage). So I accepted her with relief. And it’s been a good choice. She’s sweet but efficient, communicates well. Defrosts fridges

Also i once had a really HOT young cleaner and frankly its an embarrassing distraction. I kept yearning
    Is 'yearning' a euphemism?
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,077
    https://twitter.com/MarwanData/status/1786411934977245408
    https://twitter.com/MarwanData/status/1786399001614360752

5.5% and 2% swings in by-elections Lab to Con in London. 2.4% swing needed... Fingers crossed Hall gets 2.3% so the Tories realise that with a normal candidate they'd have won.
  • Options
    BBC projected national share

Lab 34%
    Con 25%
    LD 17%
    Others 24%
  • Options
    I'm no fan of George Galloway but shouldn't the BBC have covered him at least a tenth of the amount they have talked to Richard Tice given that WPGB have trounced Reform in terms of seats won?
  • Options
    edited May 3
    BBC PROJECTED NATIONAL VOTE SHARE:

Lab lead of 9% over Con is identical to last year.

But both Lab and Con marginally down on last year.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,096
    For every sinner that repenteth….

It’s not often I’m rendered speechless…….

https://x.com/joannaccherry/status/1786381562793095622

Nicola Sturgeon warns of 'push back' on women's rights and misogyny 'on the rise again'

https://www.scotsman.com/whats-on/arts-and-entertainment/nicola-sturgeon-warns-of-push-back-on-womens-rights-and-misogyny-on-the-rise-again-4615627

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,081
    Tong ward:

David John Rowntree Herdson Yorkshire Party 97 4% Not elected
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,188

DavidL said:

Broxborne is a Tory hold. Alas poor @NickPalmer

Getting your Brox's mixed up, Bro.
    Funnily enough I don't think Nick is too far from Broxborne these days. From one Brox to another.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Brent & Harrow turnout = 32.68%.

This figure has been retracted for some reason.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Khan’s career is essentially over if he loses. He’s not liked, he’s not popular (hence this potential defeat), he’s lacklustre and dull and devoid of ideas. He only went for a third term BECAUSE he knows there’s no big job in SW1
  • Options
    MikeL said:

BBC PROJECTED NATIONAL VOTE SHARE:

Lab lead of 9% over Con is identical to last year.

But both Lab and Con marginally down on last year.

Indicative of a working majority, short of suggesting a landslide
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,326

GIN1138 said:

Khan's political career is finished if he loses to a candidate as terrible as Hall.
    If that happens we just have to accept we can't sneer at the other countries where incumbent politicians have changed the electoral rules to favour candidates of their own parties.

It would be sad, but completely consistent with many other things that have happened over the last decade and a half.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,951

There is very little liquidity in London.

It's been raining all day!
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,860
    DM_Andy said:

From the BBC

Speaking at a press event in Teesside International Airport, Mr Sunak said the results showed at the general election election voters "are going to stick with us".

I get that you always have to spin positively but that sounds more like disconnection with reality.
    Off his tits. The result on Teesside shows that voters *are not* sticking with the Tories. If the party has the same "victory" at the GE it loses every Tory seat in NE England. Confirmed by the swing just now against Steve Nick Nick Turner in the PCC election.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Maybe, but Khan is the only high-profile Labour politician to be a winner up to this point, which I think will count for him if he returns to Westminster.

Put it this way, I'm pretty sure SKS would rather him safely outside of Westminster, running City Hall, than have him in his Cabinet or on the backbenches....
    Arise, Baron Sadiq of Tooting?
  • Options
    Leon said:

GIN1138 said:

Khan’s career is essentially over if he loses. He’s not liked, he’s not popular (hence this potential defeat), he’s lacklustre and dull and devoid of ideas. He only went for a third term BECAUSE he knows there’s no big job in SW1
    Why do politicians always overstay their welcome? He should have retired after winning 2 elections.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,977

Nigelb said:
    "toggle N e-Shift, the Ioniq’s most surprising and controversial feature.

Activate it and the Ioniq 5 N will emulate a car with an eight-speed dual-clutch transmission. It will pretend to have a powerband, “lugging” if you try to accelerate hard in fifth gear, hitting “redline” and lurching if you fail to shift in time and using regen to simulate the engine braking you get with an on-track downshift. It sounds utterly absurd and completely useless."

Why would you want to hamper the brilliance of electric transmission by making it crappier? You want the fastest acceleration? Don't slow down for gear changes...
    I quite like the Leaf's e-Pedal mode (or dodgem-car mode as the missus calls it), where the car acts as though it has very strong engine braking and will even come to a complete halt if you take your foot off the accelerator. You hardly ever need to move your foot to the brake when driving in heavy traffic, which makes town driving a lot more relaxing.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Lab 34%
    Con 25%
    LD 17%
    Others 24%

The Tories will probably take that as a GE indicator. Grab a few points back from Reform, stop the bloody boats with Rwanda, and they could be in the 28-32 zone. Still a big defeat, Starmer will win, but not an ELE and they could be back after 1 term if they can find a good leader
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,951
    Sean_F said:

It looks as if Basildon will be going to NOC.

Just Can't Get Enough
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 56,748
    Andy_JS said:
    Hall is approaching the price I said this morning at 8am, when I was roundly pilloried on here.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,077

Partly a baseline effect; the London borough elections were last held in 2022, when everyone was annoyed with Boris.

Good result, but Hall needs a swing to her from 2021.
    The swing is vs the ward in the 2021 Mayoral election.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Lab 34%
    Con 25%
    LD 17%
    Others 24%

The Tories will probably take that as a GE indicator. Grab a few points back from Reform, stop the bloody boats with Rwanda, and they could be in the 28-32 zone. Still a big defeat, Starmer will win, but not an ELE and they could be back after 1 term if they can find a good leader
    I think if the Tories actually stop the boats then it will be worth quite a lot more for them than getting them to that range. If they stop them, a reduction may take them up to ~30% though.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

GIN1138 said:

Why do politicians always overstay their welcome? He should have retired after winning 2 elections.
    He really should have done that. Indeed there should be 2 term limits. London desperately needs a new mayor with exciting ideas. Not Khan, again

But Khan is greedy and careerist and he could see there’s no great job waiting for him in Westminster, soo…
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,199
    DM_Andy said:

I'm no fan of George Galloway but shouldn't the BBC have covered him at least a tenth of the amount they have talked to Richard Tice given that WPGB have trounced Reform in terms of seats won?

I am bemused by the lack of coverage for Binface. Its such a waste of a good opportunity to enliven the count.
  • Options
    edited May 3
    Thus far I'd say its a very poor set of results for the Tories, but not quite as catastrophic as it seemed first light today
    Solid but unspectacular Labour, on course for power but not 'super' landslide and with potential concerns over Gaza
    LDs, nothing great but should see them make progress
    Greens, emerging as a strong fourth party of England

Reform - underwhelming

WPB - going to be a factor
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

That's absurd.

You should look into buying a new fridge. I've not had to defrost mine in 20 years. (Hmm. I've just realised my fridge is 20 years old.)
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,384
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Lab 34%
    Con 25%
    LD 17%
    Others 24%

Both LAB and CON will get more than that projected. So yes quite possibly something like 38 and 30. So big win for Keir. CON get to keep about 200 seats.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

London turnout figures:

Barnet & Camden 39.59%

More turnouts:

These numbers are terrible for Sadiq, that's very, very low turnout from areas that would vote for a donkey with a red rosette on.
    Yes, as a few of us were indicating might be the case this yesterday.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,946

Sean_F said:

It looks as if Basildon will be going to NOC.

Just Can't Get Enough
    😂😂👍👍
  • Options
    Quite excited about my Khan sub 40% bet now, I must say.
  • Options
    CleitophonCleitophon Posts: 339
    If the tories hold on to some mayor's, it is only because the candidate have cut almost wholly with the party in terms of policies, style, branding etc and run in practice as independents. There are no good lessons for the tories to draw on from that. It means the candidates were able to pull through because they didn't have even the slightest whiff of right wing populism. Natcon, popcon, brexiteerism, war on woke, all that stuff is finished. Right wing populism only does emotion and division and outrage. It doesn't do governance. Tory mayoral winners are old style tories hated by the reform erg crowd. This is the end of the line for that style of politics.
  • Options
    Tories lead in Bristol (but only 4 of 70 declared)

Conservatives 2 (+0)
    Labour 1 (+0)
    Green 1 (+1)
    Lib Dems 0 (-1)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,096
    edited May 3
    There is a Karl Lagerfeld quote by which I live my life: “Sweatpants are a sign of defeat.” John Swinney is a sign of defeat. This is a sign of a party not only incapable of regenerating itself but seeming unwilling to try. What does this most look like? Scottish Labour 2006, a machine the purpose of which was creating jobs for the machine.

To give you a sense of why, let me explain a conversation I had earlier in the week. My first read on events was a conversation with a woman I don’t know whose politics I knew nothing about. I was trying to get a feel for how the public were seeing things without leading her.

She told me was that she had always voted SNP under Alex Salmond and had kept doing so but has become more and more disillusioned under Sturgeon. Her conclusion now was that the SNP is contemptuous, that it couldn’t make it clearer that all they’re interested in is whose turn it is for the trough. She said that there was now nothing that would make her vote for the party.

https://robinmcalpine.org/the-snp-is-a-failed-project/
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,949
    So, Kirklees did go to NOC.

Labour, able to afford one loss dropped 5 Dewsbury & Batley wards to Independents, lost a Huddersfield ward to Greens (Gaza a factor in all of these), but nicked Holme Valley South which was a marginal Tory defence this go.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,597
    edited May 3

If the tories hold on to some mayor's, it is only because the candidate have cut almost wholly with the party in terms of policies, style, branding etc and run in practice as independents. There are no good lessons for the tories to draw on from that. It means the candidates were able to pull through because they didn't have even the slightest whiff of right wing populism. Natcon, popcon, brexiteerism, war on woke, all that stuff is finished. Right wing populism only does emotion and division and outrage. It doesn't do governance. Tory mayoral winners are old style tories hated by the reform erg crowd. This is the end of the line for that style of politics.

A wise Tory party would realise that, however...
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,946

Thus far I'd say its a very poor set of results for the Tories, but not quite as catastrophic as it seemed first light today
    Solid but unspectacular Labour, on course for power but not 'super' landslide and with potential concerns over Gaza
    LDs, nothing great but should see them make progress
    Greens, emerging as a strong fourth party of England

Reform - underwhelming

WPB - going to be a factor

I did say a while back Gaza May be an issue for labour….

As for your summation. Nail hit on head.

I don’t know about the rest of the country but round by me it looks like the Greens are another middle class protest party, like the Lib Dems.

As much as I hold them nationally in disdain I’d be tempted to vote for them locally.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/wesstreeting/status/1785696540444479601

A win for Susan Hall and the Conservatives is a win for racists, white supremacists and Islamophobes the world over.

Susan Hall’s campaign has been fought from the gutter with dangerous and divisive politics.
  • Options

lol, no. Dream on

You have noticed what’s happening across Europe? Indeed, the West? We are not immune - we are just a bit behind the curve
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,020
    The national equivalent vote share advantage is a little weaker for Starmer than it was for Cameron in 2009. It’s a long way away from Blair in 1996. Supports my hunch that the next election will be pretty close.
  • Options
    edited May 3
    DM_Andy said:

Tories lead in Bristol (but only 4 of 70 declared)

Conservatives 2 (+0)
    Labour 1 (+0)
    Green 1 (+1)
    Lib Dems 0 (-1)

That's probably it for the Tories in Bristol, given how unpopular they are these days.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/wesstreeting/status/1785696540444479601

A win for Susan Hall and the Conservatives is a win for racists, white supremacists and Islamophobes the world over.

Susan Hall’s campaign has been fought from the gutter with dangerous and divisive politics.
    Interesting he's putting that out already..
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,973
    I am no psephologist, but here is a question. When looking at the PCC results 2024 (last held 2021) the swing from Con to Lab, except notably in Cumbria, where it is enormous seems so far to be less massive than I would expect if Labour are to have a landslide. Am I right? And are they a decent proxy for a GE?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_England_and_Wales_police_and_crime_commissioner_elections
This discussion has been closed.