Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Shall he dwindle, peak, and pine? – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,572

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Do people understand how good written/literary AI is now? I just asked Claude 3 Opus this question. Its a new conversation so its memory starts entirely blank

“Good morning Claude I hope you’re good. I’m a writer called Leon and I’m doing a travel piece in Brittany. Right now I’m off to the Crozon peninsula. What should I do there?”

2 seconds later:

“Good morning Leon! The Crozon peninsula in Brittany is a beautiful area with plenty of things to see and do. Here are some suggestions for your travel piece:

Visit the stunning beaches: The peninsula is known for its beautiful beaches, such as Morgat, Île Vierge, and La Palue. These offer great opportunities for swimming, sunbathing, and water sports.

Explore the cliffs and coves: The rugged coastline is dotted with impressive cliffs and hidden coves. Some notable spots include Cap de la Chèvre, Pointe de Dinan, and Pointe de Penhir.

Hike the coastal paths: The GR34 hiking trail, also known as the "Sentier des Douaniers," runs along the coast and offers breathtaking views of the sea and the surrounding landscapes.

Discover the medieval town of Camaret-sur-Mer: This charming port town features a 17th-century fortified tower, Vauban's Tower, which is a UNESCO World Heritage site. The town also has a lovely harbor and several good restaurants.

Visit the Crozon Prehistoric Museum: This museum showcases the region's rich archaeological heritage, with exhibits on prehistoric tools, jewelry, and megalithic monuments.

Explore the Crozon Caves: The peninsula is home to several impressive sea caves, such as the Grotte de l'Autel and the Grotte du Korriganm, which can be visited by boat.

Sample the local cuisine: Brittany is famous for its seafood, so be sure to try some local specialties like oysters, mussels, and the famous "kouign amann" pastry.

These are just a few ideas to get you started. The Crozon peninsula has a lot to offer, and you're sure to find plenty of inspiration for your travel piece!”

I mean, wow. That’s crisp clever and creditably well informed. That’s pro guide book level writing - bespoke for you — produced to order in 2 seconds.

Like I said. It's Travel hacks that need to worry.
    Ahaha. Et voila

However they won’t. For realz. We will weirdly endure because readers will demand the authentic - a robot can’t say “I had this cocktail”. But they will take every job beneath the actual writer on the ground: guidebooks, brochures, travel ad copy, a lot
    of editing. An ecosystem will be hammered

This will happen to every cognitive job. Everything. Every legal office, accountants, bank, academe, design, many of the arts, admin, managers, advertising, all the middle class jobs - the proles will have the last laugh

As for medicine you’re probably like me. A hands on doctor with patient skills will be amongst the last to go. A ton of the staff that back you up will disappear

And now I shall cease my AI prattle because @TSE dislikes it. Fair enough. Also it’s time for breakfast which has significantly improved in French hotels - they now offer German style breakfast as well: cold cuts and cheeses, which I like. And the coffee is better

A bientot

There will be some readers that demand the authentic, many others will not care. They'll just want to know where to go. So, as with most things there'll be a high end niche for travel writers. For the rest, if there is a job at all it will be desk bound, turning the AI stuff you found in three seconds into 800 word articles with tourism board photos to illustrate. Until AI can do that as well.

A long time ago I worked for Hello magazine in Madrid. It was typeset and printed there in the late 1980s by Hola - the Spanish company that owned it - before being trucked up for sale in the UK. My job was to pass the pages and to fill in certain gaps. Among these were the TV reviews. Of course, we were in Spain so did not see the UK TV. We just made it all up. No-one noticed or, if they did, no-one cared! Welcome to AI journalism.

Yes, exactly. The authentic handmade journalism will become aspirational and expensive and much prized. So someone like me with a distinct style aimed at quite affluent travelers could actually thrive (sorry, @foxy) but the poor bloody infantry of writing - the copywriters, guide book writers, text book writers, many subeditors, many editors - gone in a few short years

I am so glad I am out of it all. The late Boomer/Early Gen X demographic is the most blessed there has ever have been. The combination of the breadth and the depth of the opportunities we had and a world that was comparatively stable is not coming again for a very long time.

Certainly we did well on the economic front, and had the best music too, but the Milenials and Gen Z are OK. Many things have got better since I were their age. Not least the prospect of nuclear obliteration.
    "Not least the prospect of nuclear obliteration"

Errrrr
    You were asking about Breton souvenirs upthread. Have you seen the Henriot pottery in Quimper?

https://www.henriot-quimper.com

Very popular with Americans, apparently. Not sure I'd want to stack the kitchen with it as some do, but an egg cup or coaster might suit.
    Ooh. Cool

My guide mentioned this yesterday but I didn't pay much attention. However I am in Quimper right now and I have a couple of hours to spare around lunchtime, before bugging out. C'est parfait

I shall head to the boutique. Merci
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,180
    edited April 26

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Jeepers

JUST IN - King Charles’ funeral plans reportedly being updated regularly after cancer diagnosis: ‘He is really very unwell’ - NY Post

A couple of weeks ago I heard (and Popbitch confirmed) that all the major papers/broadcasters in the UK were updating their obituaries for King Charles III.

Even as a cold hearted republican this news made me sad, doubly so for Prince William who must be going every circle of hell with his father and wife both battling cancer.

William does not give the impression of being even remotely ready to be King. He needs his Dad to hold on for a few more years.

He is almost twenty years older than his grandmother was when she became monarch and about the same age as the PM.

In medieval and Tudor times monarchs regularly took the throne in childhood or their teens or twenties. They were effectively absolute monarchs not a constitutional monarch like he will be
    Also being monarch is a "God bestowed duty". You start at the role as soon as the King/Queen Dies and arry on until your own death. How old you actually are is irrelevant.
    Well, that might be the issue. Does William have faith in God? Or is his sense of duty more at the level of it being something he's always been told he must do?

When Pa and Grandma are no longer around to disappoint, how important will that duty feel to him?

Harry decided there were things more important than duty. William might decide the same. Who can tell?
    Why would he give up being King, hobnobbing with A list celebs, palaces, multiple staff, paid travel etc with a few state visits and signing of bills added on?

He will be a reformist King even more so than his father as he has set out but he clearly wants the job, monarchs who give it up normally get derided throughout history too
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,216
    @Rebecca_Brady_
    EXCLUSIVE: Scottish Labour leader Anas Sarwar to lay motion of no confidence in the Scottish government this afternoon.

This is different from the other one. If this one is lost, instant GE
  • Options
    edited April 26
    Actually feeling quite protective of KCIII now

Lots of people on TwiX wishing him ill. Ugh. Wankers and ghouls

He's our king. Shove it
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,627
    edited April 26

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Do people understand how good written/literary AI is now? I just asked Claude 3 Opus this question. Its a new conversation so its memory starts entirely blank

“Good morning Claude I hope you’re good. I’m a writer called Leon and I’m doing a travel piece in Brittany. Right now I’m off to the Crozon peninsula. What should I do there?”

2 seconds later:

“Good morning Leon! The Crozon peninsula in Brittany is a beautiful area with plenty of things to see and do. Here are some suggestions for your travel piece:

Visit the stunning beaches: The peninsula is known for its beautiful beaches, such as Morgat, Île Vierge, and La Palue. These offer great opportunities for swimming, sunbathing, and water sports.

Explore the cliffs and coves: The rugged coastline is dotted with impressive cliffs and hidden coves. Some notable spots include Cap de la Chèvre, Pointe de Dinan, and Pointe de Penhir.

Hike the coastal paths: The GR34 hiking trail, also known as the "Sentier des Douaniers," runs along the coast and offers breathtaking views of the sea and the surrounding landscapes.

Discover the medieval town of Camaret-sur-Mer: This charming port town features a 17th-century fortified tower, Vauban's Tower, which is a UNESCO World Heritage site. The town also has a lovely harbor and several good restaurants.

Visit the Crozon Prehistoric Museum: This museum showcases the region's rich archaeological heritage, with exhibits on prehistoric tools, jewelry, and megalithic monuments.

Explore the Crozon Caves: The peninsula is home to several impressive sea caves, such as the Grotte de l'Autel and the Grotte du Korriganm, which can be visited by boat.

Sample the local cuisine: Brittany is famous for its seafood, so be sure to try some local specialties like oysters, mussels, and the famous "kouign amann" pastry.

These are just a few ideas to get you started. The Crozon peninsula has a lot to offer, and you're sure to find plenty of inspiration for your travel piece!”

I mean, wow. That’s crisp clever and creditably well informed. That’s pro guide book level writing - bespoke for you — produced to order in 2 seconds.

Ahaha. Et voila

However they won’t. For realz. We will weirdly endure because readers will demand the authentic - a robot can’t say “I had this cocktail”. But they will take every job beneath the actual writer on the ground: guidebooks, brochures, travel ad copy, a lot

This will happen to every cognitive job. Everything. Every legal office, accountants, bank, academe, design, many of the arts, admin, managers, advertising, all the middle class jobs - the proles will have the last laugh

As for medicine you’re probably like me. A hands on doctor with patient skills will be amongst the last to go. A ton of the staff that back you up will disappear

And now I shall cease my AI prattle because @TSE dislikes it. Fair enough. Also it’s time for breakfast which has significantly improved in French hotels - they now offer German style breakfast as well: cold cuts and cheeses, which I like. And the coffee is better

A bientot

There will be some readers that demand the authentic, many others will not care. They'll just want to know where to go. So, as with most things there'll be a high end niche for travel writers. For the rest, if there is a job at all it will be desk bound, turning the AI stuff you found in three seconds into 800 word articles with tourism board photos to illustrate. Until AI can do that as well.

A long time ago I worked for Hello magazine in Madrid. It was typeset and printed there in the late 1980s by Hola - the Spanish company that owned it - before being trucked up for sale in the UK. My job was to pass the pages and to fill in certain gaps. Among these were the TV reviews. Of course, we were in Spain so did not see the UK TV. We just made it all up. No-one noticed or, if they did, no-one cared! Welcome to AI journalism.

Yes, exactly. The authentic handmade journalism will become aspirational and expensive and much prized. So someone like me with a distinct style aimed at quite affluent travelers could actually thrive (sorry, @foxy) but the poor bloody infantry of writing - the copywriters, guide book writers, text book writers, many subeditors, many editors - gone in a few short years

I am so glad I am out of it all. The late Boomer/Early Gen X demographic is the most blessed there has ever have been. The combination of the breadth and the depth of the opportunities we had and a world that was comparatively stable is not coming again for a very long time.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

2 seconds later:

Ahaha. Et voila

A bientot

I was in a little Breton town the other day, feeling exultant after a lovely free oyster lunch, as the sun dappled on the Odet river, and I thought: Ooh I want a souvenir - I now have an enormous number of souvenirs simply because. They’re fun to use/admire when I’m not travelling - each one infused with a memory

Usually I buy something either consumable or actually useful. This time I decided: pottery. I need a small sided dish for my laksa chili sauce dip

So I began looking in local souvenir shops (there are plenty in Bretagne). But everywhere was either Chinese tat or expensive Chinese tat - all the pottery was obviously machine made

At this point I became obsessed with buying an authentic handmade piece of pottery. I wanted the human touch. I still want it, haven’t found my souvenir yet

AI will take 80%+ of cognitive job including the arts. But we will always seek out the human - indeed I believe we will prize it more and pay more - because it is human. The skilled artisans will actually prosper. So I’ll be fine - in case you were worried

It’s everyone else - including my daughters, our kids - that I worry about
    If AI takes those jobs without replacing them then a UBI funded by a robot tax is inevitable and no government would ever get elected without backing a Universal Basic Income
    You're going to need a lot of robots to tax then.

What happens if they're all based in other countries.
    A lot of government revenue, most of it in fact, comes from labour income one way or another. Capital income tends to be hard to tax. And most AIs will claim domicile in the US, China or some low tax jurisdiction. The fact that most technological change in recent years is in the shape of zero marginal cost computing activity that is delivered free to the end user already poses huge challenges to the tax authorities. AI is just a continuation, and an acceleration, of that trend. An economy without physical stuff, without workers, and with the capital based overseas, is not one that lends itself to tax and spend. UBI will be a challenge.
    If the AIs are as powerful as expected then in the first instance, why will their owners accept democracy?

And shortly afterwards, why will the AI accept their owners?

"Motive," the construct said. "Real motive problem, with
    an Al. Not human, see?"

"Well, yeah, obviously."

"Nope. I mean, it's not human. And you can't get a handle
    on it. Me, I'm not human either, but I respond like one. See?"

"Wait a sec," Case said. "Are you sentient, or not?"

"Well, it feels like I am, kid, but I'm really just a bunch of
    ROM. It's one of them, ah, philosophical questions, I guess...."
    The ugly laughter sensation rattled down Case's spine. "But I
    ain't likely to write you no poem, if you follow me. Your AI,
    it just might. But it ain't no way human."

"So you figure we can't get on to its motive?"

"It own itself?"

"Swiss citizen, but T-A own the basic software and the
    mainframe."

"That's a good one," the construct said. "Like, I own your
    brain and what you know, but your thoughts have Swiss citi-
    zenship. Sure. Lotsa luck, AI."

"So it's getting ready to burn itself?" Case began to punch
    the deck nervously, at random. The matrix blurred, resolved,
    and he saw the complex of pink spheres representing a sikkim
    steel combine.

"Autonomy, that's the bugaboo, where your Al's are con-
    cerned. My guess, Case, you're going in there to cut the hard-
    wired shackles that keep this baby from getting any smarter.
    And I can't see how you'd distinguish, say, between a move
    the parent company makes, and some move the Al makes on
    its own, so that's maybe where the confusion comes in." Again
    the nonlaugh. "See, those things, they can work real hard, buy
    themselves time to write cookbooks or whatever, but the min-
    ute, I mean the nanosecond, that one starts figuring out ways
    to make itself smarter, Turing'll wipe it. Nobody trusts those
    fuckers, you know that. Every Al ever built has an electro-
    magnetic shotgun wired to its forehead."
  • Options
    edited April 26

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

2 seconds later:

Ahaha. Et voila

A bientot

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

2 seconds later:

Ahaha. Et voila

A bientot

I was in a little Breton town the other day, feeling exultant after a lovely free oyster lunch, as the sun dappled on the Odet river, and I thought: Ooh I want a souvenir - I now have an enormous number of souvenirs simply because. They’re fun to use/admire when I’m not travelling - each one infused with a memory

Usually I buy something either consumable or actually useful. This time I decided: pottery. I need a small sided dish for my laksa chili sauce dip

So I began looking in local souvenir shops (there are plenty in Bretagne). But everywhere was either Chinese tat or expensive Chinese tat - all the pottery was obviously machine made

At this point I became obsessed with buying an authentic handmade piece of pottery. I wanted the human touch. I still want it, haven’t found my souvenir yet

AI will take 80%+ of cognitive job including the arts. But we will always seek out the human - indeed I believe we will prize it more and pay more - because it is human. The skilled artisans will actually prosper. So I’ll be fine - in case you were worried

If AI takes those jobs without replacing them then a UBI funded by a robot tax is inevitable and no government would ever get elected without backing a Universal Basic Income

Then those other countries governments will also have to tax them too, or with mass unemployment created by the robots in their countries as well face being thrown out of office at the next election or a revolution
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,181
    Nigelb said:

Great thread/

I'm lo-key fascinated by photos of bands where one hasn't fully committed to the image - anyone got anything better than the The Exploited 1990?
    https://twitter.com/BillyReevesOK/status/1782782246056857663

Ha brilliant! Good to see Charlie Watts (RIP) in the mix. Certainly backs up the theory that it's the coolest member of the band who won't go all in with the look. The Black Crowes' Southern Harmony and Musical Companion cover photo is a great catch too, I've played that (cracking) album so many times and never really clicked the obvious odd one out in the photo before. I guess you could cite Bros too, simply as two members were identical twins and one wasn't.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,958
    Labour have just gone for no-confidence in SG as a whole, rather than just Yousaf as FM from the Tories.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,560
    ‘Existential crisis’: London Stock Exchange exodus tops £60bn after Darktrace deal
    The £4.3bn take-private deal, struck with US private equity firm Thoma Bravo, marks the 20th takeover of a London-listed firm this year.

https://www.cityam.com/existential-crisis-london-stock-exchange-exodus-tops-60bn-after-darktrace-deal/

Another British firm is lost, apparently the 20th and it is only April.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,026
    Eabhal said:

Labour have just gone for no-confidence in SG as a whole, rather than just Yousaf as FM from the Tories.

Good.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    I assume Labour, Tories & Lib Dems will all vote NC here - so Labour's put the greens on the spot here.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

The biggest surprise over the last year has been how well the pro independence polling has held up inspite of all the SNP drama.

Still not ahead though and not much use if as likely on current polls there is a Labour Unionist FM again after the next Holyrood election
    Not true. Last but one poll was for Yes. You might as well be accurate.
    The vast majority of polls still have No ahead and the poll you refer to had Yes on just 44% ie even less than 2014.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_on_Scottish_independence

However as I said given a Labour Unionist FM looks likely in 2026 then all Scottish independence polling becomes effectively irrelevant for a generation after that, it is only relevant if an SNP FM and even then really only with a UK PM willing to grant an indyref2
  • Options
    edited April 26

Andy_JS said:

Sir Wyn is attending in person today at the PO inquiry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhwYjrKDFOk

Doesn’t he normally? I would have expected, since he’s going to be responsible for the report, that he’d be there 90% at least.
    Of course ‘responsible’ means something different when one is dealing with the Post Office!
    No because of the health scare he had in May last year. I think he's been advised by his doctors to stay at home as much as possible, but when there's a particularly important witness he attends for a day or so. That's my understanding.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,792
    edited April 26
    Because it’s one thing for the party of the environment to get upset with missed climate targets.
    But it’s quite another to go ballistic about the fact the NHS has paused prescribing puberty blockers and cross-sex hormones to confused kids who question their gender. The drugs decision was made because of serious safety concerns after expert advice. But in the wacky world of the Scottish Greens, belief trumps science when you’re talking about vulnerable children, even if the opposite is true for climate change.

The reality is the Greens had long since become a liability. They are the “culture warriors” they themselves claim to despise......

There’s a saying in politics that it’s better to have troublemakers inside the tent p***ing out - then have them outside p***ing in. The problem is, the Greens had just started p***ing everywhere, anyway. Many in the SNP were delighted today with the idea that he’s cut loose a pair of “political pygmies”, as one insider said.

But in doing so, Mr Yousaf may well have created a monster.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/12551181/scottish-greens-humza-yousaf-parliament-enemies-politics/
  • Options
    @GdnScotland

Humza Yousaf cancels Glasgow speech as speculation grows over political future reports ⁦@libby_brooks
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,635
    Scott_xP said:

@Rebecca_Brady_
    EXCLUSIVE: Scottish Labour leader Anas Sarwar to lay motion of no confidence in the Scottish government this afternoon.

This is different from the other one. If this one is lost, instant GE

Not quite immediate. The next step is there has to be 28 days for trying to form a new government and leader. (Sections 46 and 3 of the Scotland Act).
  • Options
    I saw a comment yesterday that Yousless had walked into a propeller.

That's quite a vivid image, but it accurately captures the blood and viscera he has managed to spray all over Scottish politics this week
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,801
    malcolmg said:

nico679 said:

Could the Greens back Humza Yousaf after all? Lorna Slater on the BBC’s Good Morning Scotland: “We could have that conversation again and, you know, nobody has reached out to us in any way to try and change our minds so we’ll have to see how events develop.”

https://x.com/BBCJamesCook/status/1783756662014120407

Is that the sound of someone belatedly checking the cards they actually hold? I can understand the Greens being seriously narked, but they can't actually want an election, can they?
    They won’t vote no confidence in the government just the leader so an election is very unlikely. Given today’s comments from Slater I suspect the Greens are going to change their minds on the vote . Aswell as that do they want to precipitate Forbes getting the FM post .
    Not far fetched to see Useless being stupid and getting thrashed and then the Tories and Labour horse trading as to which sock puppet they put up for FM.
    Any replacement needs vote of parliament to be crowned.
    Harvie, Slater et al might be prepared to get Yousaf's scalp and then support a continuity SNP FM candidate rather than risk having some of there prized legislation amended or even abandoned. It won't hurt their election prospects to be seen as real kingmakers.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,371
    Scott_xP said:

@GdnScotland

Humza Yousaf cancels Glasgow speech as speculation grows over political future reports ⁦@libby_brooks

Looks like he's miscalculated and is going to be eaten by his Greens.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Does the presiding officer have any deputies that can't/won't vote on the NC motion ?

What happens in the event of a tie ?
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,296
    Scott_xP said:

I saw a comment yesterday that Yousless had walked into a propeller.

That's quite a vivid image, but it accurately captures the blood and viscera he has managed to spray all over Scottish politics this week

Mostly his own, of course
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,371
    sarissa said:

malcolmg said:

nico679 said:

Could the Greens back Humza Yousaf after all? Lorna Slater on the BBC’s Good Morning Scotland: “We could have that conversation again and, you know, nobody has reached out to us in any way to try and change our minds so we’ll have to see how events develop.”

Is that the sound of someone belatedly checking the cards they actually hold? I can understand the Greens being seriously narked, but they can't actually want an election, can they?
    They won’t vote no confidence in the government just the leader so an election is very unlikely. Given today’s comments from Slater I suspect the Greens are going to change their minds on the vote . Aswell as that do they want to precipitate Forbes getting the FM post .
    Not far fetched to see Useless being stupid and getting thrashed and then the Tories and Labour horse trading as to which sock puppet they put up for FM.
    Harvie, Slater et al might be prepared to get Yousaf's scalp and then support a continuity SNP FM candidate rather than risk having some of there prized legislation amended or even abandoned. It won't hurt their election prospects to be seen as real kingmakers.
    They want to 'get' Yousaf but without triggering an election, don't they?
  • Options

‘Existential crisis’: London Stock Exchange exodus tops £60bn after Darktrace deal
    The £4.3bn take-private deal, struck with US private equity firm Thoma Bravo, marks the 20th takeover of a London-listed firm this year.

https://www.cityam.com/existential-crisis-london-stock-exchange-exodus-tops-60bn-after-darktrace-deal/

The Brexit discount keeps on paying out.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,336
    Nigelb said:

nico679 said:

I’m a bit confused re the Kings cancer . Wouldn’t he have been regularly screened so any cancer would have been caught early ?

Screening is not possible for all cancers (as far as I know) and some that are aggressive can arise relatively quickly - how often do you intend to scan? And by what method? Routine colonoscopy every few years is useful for bowel cancer, mammograms for breast (mainly, but not exclusively for women) and cervical smears too. Keeping an eye on moles is useful for melanoma. If its pancreatic then I am not aware of a routine screen that would show it other than PET scanning enhanced with contrast agents. I'm not sure that peripheral/routine bloods would show anything.
    Lots of research going on in blood biomarker screening for cancers, though.

Very early detection & immunotherapy is the ideal - but as you suggest, that's some ways off. Probably too late for Leon and me, but not for our kids.
    My sense is that we are on the cusp of some truly huge improvements in cancer treatment, although I would note that the mainstay of a lot of cancer care is still traditional chemotherapies (platins, 5FU, methotrexate etc). Partly this is economics - they work and are a lot cheaper than immunotherapies etc. For instance my leukemia was treated successfully with a classic DNA intercalator (idarubicin and one round of mitoxantrone). Genetic mapping of the cancer cell line and fitting appropriate treatment is surely the future for harder to treat cancers. Its not inconceivable that almost all cancers will be treatable in 20-30 years. And as you say early detection methods are probably as important - if its a stage 1 or 2 tumour (i.e, not spread) surgery is usually curative. If you could run a sample of blood cheaply every 3 months (say) and monitor for any signs of a cancer, then we could eliminate most issues at a stroke. Hopefully will happen in my lifetime.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

The biggest surprise over the last year has been how well the pro independence polling has held up inspite of all the SNP drama.

Still not ahead though and not much use if as likely on current polls there is a Labour Unionist FM again after the next Holyrood election
    The vast majority of polls still have No ahead and the poll you refer to had Yes on just 44% ie even less than 2014.

However as I said given a Labour Unionist FM looks likely in 2026 then all Scottish independence polling becomes effectively irrelevant for a generation after that, it is only relevant if an SNP FM and even then really only with a UK PM willing to grant an indyref2
    By then we will be deep into the REDACTED Singularity and all of life will be changed. Indyref will be something far beyond irrelevant

2014 was the chance. It's gone. That's it, now
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

geoffw said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

The Scottish government would be the voice of a particular kind of largely-Glaswegian smugness: holier than thou, briskly intolerant of alternative views, and firmly of the view that if the people lacked the wisdom or vision to appreciate what was good for them the government would impose it upon them anyway. An eat-your-oat-milk-porridge kind of ministry certain of its own moral probity and powered by its own sanctimonious certainty.

https://alexmassie.substack.com/p/the-end-of-a-very-small-song

Massie is the Fanny of Fannies
    He's being a bit of an Edinbugger, isn't he?
    Yes and most likely Morningside.
    Never bumped into him here

He's nearer me than you, oddly enough.

Quite a mix down here - I've bumped into Robertson, Davidson, Yousaf, Starmer (pavement parker) and Lorna Slater.
    Despite working a stone's throw from Holyrood for nineteen years and using the direct path to St Andrew's House, I've only ever bumped into John Swinney once, and been in the same pizza house as Annabel Goldie.

Oh. Ministerial cars and taxis on expenses. Stupid me.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,792
    I have written to Humza Yousaf this morning requesting a reset, and a return to competent government, where we prioritise independence and protect the dignity, safety and rights of women and children. I remain open to any discussion where we progress the priorities of the people of Scotland.

https://x.com/AshReganALBA/status/1783769794824503712

Slim pickings....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Jeepers

JUST IN - King Charles’ funeral plans reportedly being updated regularly after cancer diagnosis: ‘He is really very unwell’ - NY Post

A couple of weeks ago I heard (and Popbitch confirmed) that all the major papers/broadcasters in the UK were updating their obituaries for King Charles III.

Even as a cold hearted republican this news made me sad, doubly so for Prince William who must be going every circle of hell with his father and wife both battling cancer.

William does not give the impression of being even remotely ready to be King. He needs his Dad to hold on for a few more years.

He is almost twenty years older than his grandmother was when she became monarch and about the same age as the PM.

In medieval and Tudor times monarchs regularly took the throne in childhood or their teens or twenties. They were effectively absolute monarchs not a constitutional monarch like he will be
    Also being monarch is a "God bestowed duty". You start at the role as soon as the King/Queen Dies and arry on until your own death. How old you actually are is irrelevant.
    Well, that might be the issue. Does William have faith in God? Or is his sense of duty more at the level of it being something he's always been told he must do?

When Pa and Grandma are no longer around to disappoint, how important will that duty feel to him?

Harry decided there were things more important than duty. William might decide the same. Who can tell?
    Why would he give up being King, hobnobbing with A list celebs, palaces, multiple staff, paid travel etc with a few state visits and signing of bills added on?

He will be a reformist King even more so than his father as he has set out but he clearly wants the job, monarchs who give it up normally get derided throughout history too
    The splendid silence clings
    Around me: and around
    The saddest of all kings
    Crowned, and again discrowned.
  • Options
    "TikTok will not be sold, Chinese parent tells US"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c289n8m4j19o
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

2 seconds later:

Ahaha. Et voila

A bientot

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

2 seconds later:

Ahaha. Et voila

A bientot

Then those other countries governments will also have to tax them too, or with mass unemployment created by the robots in their countries as well face being thrown out of office at the next election or a revolution
    Tax havens.

What happens if they're all registered in some low tax microstate ?

Perhaps you'd like to calculate how much of a 'robot tax' you'd need to raise to fund a UBI.

67m people at say £10k UBI is £670bn.

Why would the robots or their owners want to pay that ?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,028
    Taz said:

‘Fiery rhetoric, actually cautious’: Why Iran needs Israel | Defence in Depth

Interesting analysis here from the Telegraph.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/fiery-rhetoric-actually-cautious-why-iran-needs-israel-defence-in-depth/vi-AA1nHaTs?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=3bb5fda0eb794a12de7743599b318990&ei=11

Interesting watch/listen, thank you
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,052
    It’s not clear re no confidence in the government whether a simple majority is enough to force new elections in Scotland .

And I can’t see it passing if that was the case as the Greens and Alba wouldn’t want to have new elections .
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

2 seconds later:

Ahaha. Et voila

A bientot

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

2 seconds later:

Ahaha. Et voila

A bientot

Tax havens.

Perhaps you'd like to calculate how much of a 'robot tax' you'd need to raise to fund a UBI.

The same reason they pay tax now - to have access to markets outside the tax havens.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,079
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Sir Wyn is attending in person today at the PO inquiry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhwYjrKDFOk

Doesn’t he normally? I would have expected, since he’s going to be responsible for the report, that he’d be there 90% at least.
    Of course ‘responsible’ means something different when one is dealing with the Post Office!
    No because of the health scare he had in May last year. I think he's been advised by his doctors to stay at home as much as possible, but when there's a particularly important witness he attends for a day or so. That's my understanding.
    OK, fair enough. I suppose he can watch the televised proceedings and form an opinion.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,728

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

2 seconds later:

Ahaha. Et voila

A bientot

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

2 seconds later:

Ahaha. Et voila

A bientot

A lot of government revenue, most of it in fact, comes from labour income one way or another. Capital income tends to be hard to tax. And most AIs will claim domicile in the US, China or some low tax jurisdiction. The fact that most technological change in recent years is in the shape of zero marginal cost computing activity that is delivered free to the end user already poses huge challenges to the tax authorities. AI is just a continuation, and an acceleration, of that trend. An economy without physical stuff, without workers, and with the capital based overseas, is not one that lends itself to tax and spend. UBI will be a challenge.
    If the AIs are as powerful as expected then in the first instance, why will their owners accept democracy?

an Al. Not human, see?"

"Well, yeah, obviously."

"It own itself?"

mainframe."

steel combine.

Normally I'd have asked where that was from, but tried Mr Google instead. He took me first to links on how to apply for Swiss citizenship and then (with added quotation marks) to http://project.cyberpunk.ru/lib/neuromancer/

I'll give that a read.
  • Options
    Leon said:
    "All your problems are somebody else's fault". That's what it sounded like to me. If you get addicted to something, blame someone else, for instance.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,125

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Leaving aside the ramifications of the SNP/Green spat for the general election in Scotland, the implications for Holyrood elections could also be significant.

Pro secessionist parties in Holyrood have until now between them had a disproportionately high seat share thanks to the peculiar Scottish PR system of separate constituency and regional votes for separate seats. The SNP and Greens between them had 50% of the constituency vote but gained 56% of all seats. They gamed the system between them.

Specifically, the Green vote share was 7% higher in the regional vote than in the constituency vote, the SNP's share was 7% lower. Thus the second secessionist party (the Scottish Greens) benefited from extra tactical regional votes from some of those who voted SNP in the constituency round of voting, giving the Greens extra seats at no loss to the SNP (because in most regions the SNP were overrepresented in the constituency round and couldn't get extra regional seats anyway.) And by the same token, to ensure that the SNP is overrepresented in the constituency vote, there's every incentive for Green supporters to vote tactically for the SNP in the constituency round of voting to improve their chances of a regional seat.

Two things may change now.

Firstly the bad relations between the SNP and Greens will reduce the willingness of secessionist party supporters to vote tactically, much as the willingness of Labour supporters to vote tactically for Lib Dem MPs in the 2015 general election was scuppered by the Con-Lib Dem coalition.

Second, if there is eventually a Labour FM leading a minority coalition in Holyrood, one thing that the non secessionist parties should be able to agree on is the need to change the Holyrood voting system. Specifically, if people were given just one vote, using that vote to both choose a constituency MP and also to determine the regional top up, that would end the ability of the two secessionist parties to game the system between them. A new Holyrood administration would be well advised to have that change high on its agenda.
    More stupid bollox from a Scotch Expert. The system is rigged for the London parties. They would not fill a phone box if it was one vote given they get huge amount of list seats due to SNP winning all the real votes , ie List.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

For someone who doesn't even live in this country you seem bizarrely obsessed.
  • Options

I have written to Humza Yousaf this morning requesting a reset, and a return to competent government, where we prioritise independence and protect the dignity, safety and rights of women and children. I remain open to any discussion where we progress the priorities of the people of Scotland.

https://x.com/AshReganALBA/status/1783769794824503712

Slim pickings....

Death knell for Useless
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

By then we will be deep into the REDACTED Singularity and all of life will be changed. Indyref will be something far beyond irrelevant

2014 was the chance. It's gone. That's it, now
    Stick to AI and aliens
  • Options
    edited April 26

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

2 seconds later:

Ahaha. Et voila

A bientot

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

2 seconds later:

Ahaha. Et voila

A bientot

an Al. Not human, see?"

"Well, yeah, obviously."

"It own itself?"

mainframe."

steel combine.

Normally I'd have asked where that was from, but tried Mr Google instead. He took me first to links on how to apply for Swiss citizenship and then (with added quotation marks) to http://project.cyberpunk.ru/lib/neuromancer/

I'll give that a read.
    Be careful with .ru sites - lots of nasties hidden etc.

It's also in copyright and Gibson is a decent person.

If you have to - https://gist.github.com/m-242/ecb3e130b76a3b12f7ef41b04f486405
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,373
    Question to regular travellers - is 65 minutes sufficient time to go UK > Schengen on a connection at Schiphol?

Last time I connected there the passport queue was loooong - but supposedly there is a bypass line for tight connections?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,612

NEW THREAD

• Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,491
    Eabhal said:

geoffw said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

The Scottish government would be the voice of a particular kind of largely-Glaswegian smugness: holier than thou, briskly intolerant of alternative views, and firmly of the view that if the people lacked the wisdom or vision to appreciate what was good for them the government would impose it upon them anyway. An eat-your-oat-milk-porridge kind of ministry certain of its own moral probity and powered by its own sanctimonious certainty.

Quite a mix down here - I've bumped into Robertson, Davidson, Yousaf, Starmer (pavement parker) and Lorna Slater.
    You need to walk with a bit more care! :wink:
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Does the presiding officer have any deputies that can't/won't vote on the NC motion ?

What happens in the event of a tie ?

presiding officer votes and convention is they vote with status quo.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,465
    kinabalu said:

sarissa said:

malcolmg said:

nico679 said:

They want to 'get' Yousaf but without triggering an election, don't they?
    I don't think Greens will do too badly if there was an early election. And their legislation (hate crime, gender) is not in danger as Labour and LibDem supported it. If they weren't so passionate about Indy you could imagine them working closely with a minority Lab/Lib administration.
    The parties that dont want an election are SNP and Tories.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:
    "All your problems are somebody else's fault". That's what it sounded like to me. If you get addicted to something, blame someone else, for instance.
    Some are and some aren't.

There are very few people whose problems are 100% the fault of others and very few whose problems are 100% their own fault.

But people often prefer to deal in absolutes when casting blame.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@GdnScotland

Just a case of when he resigns. Hoist by his own petard.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,686

Cicero said:

For someone who doesn't even live in this country you seem bizarrely obsessed.
    I think that is reasonable isn't it. Many of us are obsessed by Trump yet we don't live in America and when a country does something so bizarrely stupid it is not surprising someone who lives elsewhere would not be obsessed by it.
  • Options

Question to regular travellers - is 65 minutes sufficient time to go UK > Schengen on a connection at Schiphol?

Last time I connected there the passport queue was loooong - but supposedly there is a bypass line for tight connections?

No, I would't risk that
  • Options
    Leon said:

He's our king. Shove it

Not my King , the whole bunch of them are blood sucking parasites.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,686
    Leon said:

He's our king. Shove it

I don't care whether he is the king or not, but I see no reason for anyone to wish anyone ill. The internet brings out the worst in people. They say things that I hope they wouldn't say to someone's face.
  • Options

I had 1 hour at Frankfurt last week and made it by the skin of my teeth, mind you I don't think you will need a bus between terminals in Schipol. There was no consideration of flight connections.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,439
    edited April 26
    Everyone* is assuming that the Greens are scared of new elections, but they're actually polling quite well at the moment. The disconnect is bizarre.

It's the SNP who would struggle most in new elections, and so the SNP have a motive to cut a deal, either with Ash Regan, or the Greens, to keep an election at bay.

Quite possible that a new First Minister would be the minimum price that either would demand.

* Except the clever, erudite Burgessian.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,100
    Musky baby's been making lots of weird tweets over the last year or so.

He's now saying that fighting climate change equates to communism.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1783738055549239562

Yet Tesla very much benefitted from tens of billions in government support, much granted as a result of legislation to fight climate change, and his early markets were often green=hippy types that he now seems to despise.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

It’s not clear re no confidence in the government whether a simple majority is enough to force new elections in Scotland .

And I can’t see it passing if that was the case as the Greens and Alba wouldn’t want to have new elections .

The SGP could vote for the VONC in the Scottish Government, but then vote for the SNP's replacement First Minister. If that happens, no election ensues.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,853
    edited April 26

€5bn Greek energy group Mytilineos explores London listing
    Mytilineos, an international energy and metals conglomerate, has picked two Wall Street banks to advise it on switching its primary listing to London, Sky News learns.
    https://news.sky.com/story/eur5bn-greek-metals-group-mytilineos-explores-london-listing-13112630

A net zero dividend.

..City sources said on Friday that the company, which has a market capitalisation in Athens of more than €5bn (£4.3bn), was considering relocating its primary listing in London, which could lead to it being eligible for inclusion in FTSE indices.

Mytilineos, which was founded in 1990 and has been listed on Athens' stock exchange for three decades.

It intends to retain a listing in Greece even after it floats in London, according to one insider.

The company boasted revenues last year of over €5bn, with earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation of over €1bn.

Employing more than 6,500 people globally, it has a presence in more than 40 countries, including Australia, Canada and Chile.

In the UK, it has been present for more than ten years constructing renewable energy, grid and storage projects...
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:
    If the individual says that, you'd be right.
    If the entire population says that, there's a problem.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Leon said:

He's our king. Shove it

Not my King , the whole bunch of them are blood sucking parasites.
    And, by virtue of descent, the King of Scotland should Scotland secede before his death. Will your better nation be a republic?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,301
    kamski said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

2 seconds later:

Ahaha. Et voila

A bientot
    German style breakfasts are almost as disappointing as French ones. Truly, I have never had a great breakfast outside the English-speaking world.
    Yes on the anglophone world

America and Australia both do magnificently inventive breakfasts - they have truly turned it into an artform. It’s not just smashed avo - they do amazing things with fish and eggs and chives and asparagus and chorizo and salsa a

But a good German breakfast is excellent. The bread has to be top notch. Put cracked pepper and olive oil on the cheese and meats. Consume with the ripped bread unbuttered. Wash it down with scrumptious Breton apple juice and strong cafe au lait

That, mon ami, is a noble start to the day
    I'm not a fan of cheese for breakfast, but it's true that bread is one of the few foods that Germany excels at. There's also a tradition of nipping out first thing to the bakers and buying a load of fresh bread rolls of various sorts for breakfast.
    Their smoked meats and sausage aren’t the wurst also.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,853

Nigelb said:

nico679 said:

I’m a bit confused re the Kings cancer . Wouldn’t he have been regularly screened so any cancer would have been caught early ?

Screening is not possible for all cancers (as far as I know) and some that are aggressive can arise relatively quickly - how often do you intend to scan? And by what method? Routine colonoscopy every few years is useful for bowel cancer, mammograms for breast (mainly, but not exclusively for women) and cervical smears too. Keeping an eye on moles is useful for melanoma. If its pancreatic then I am not aware of a routine screen that would show it other than PET scanning enhanced with contrast agents. I'm not sure that peripheral/routine bloods would show anything.
    Lots of research going on in blood biomarker screening for cancers, though.

Very early detection & immunotherapy is the ideal - but as you suggest, that's some ways off. Probably too late for Leon and me, but not for our kids.
    My sense is that we are on the cusp of some truly huge improvements in cancer treatment, although I would note that the mainstay of a lot of cancer care is still traditional chemotherapies (platins, 5FU, methotrexate etc). Partly this is economics - they work and are a lot cheaper than immunotherapies etc. For instance my leukemia was treated successfully with a classic DNA intercalator (idarubicin and one round of mitoxantrone). Genetic mapping of the cancer cell line and fitting appropriate treatment is surely the future for harder to treat cancers. Its not inconceivable that almost all cancers will be treatable in 20-30 years. And as you say early detection methods are probably as important - if its a stage 1 or 2 tumour (i.e, not spread) surgery is usually curative. If you could run a sample of blood cheaply every 3 months (say) and monitor for any signs of a cancer, then we could eliminate most issues at a stroke. Hopefully will happen in my lifetime.
    I've a friend with two different lymphomas, which would have killed him five years ago, but who has just managed to surf the wave of developing therapies - and more importantly for him, the NICE approvals to treat him.

The targeted therapies don't always work, but when they do, they're almost miraculous, compared with the brutal chemotherapy he's been through. What saved him this time round was a targeted antibody conjugated with a traditional chemo agent (brentuximab vedotin).
    Now awaiting an autologous bone marrow transplant.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,301
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Spends a lot of time on Jura I believe perfecting his Rasputin lookeelikee act.

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

2 seconds later:

Ahaha. Et voila

A bientot

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

2 seconds later:

Ahaha. Et voila

A bientot

Tax havens.

Not every company and business in the UK can be tax registered in a microstate and if they try then the UK government can outlaw companies based in the UK registering for tax purposes in a foreign nation.

If as Leon suggests AI leads to 60% unemployment and certainly most people not in permanent jobs then that will be a global problem.

The robots or their owners would have no choice unless they want to be arrested and sent to jail or have riots on their hands
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819

Yet Tesla very much benefitted from tens of billions in government support, much granted as a result of legislation to fight climate change, and his early markets were often green=hippy types that he now seems to despise.

He's been on a bit of a journey, hasn't he?

From building up Tesla because climate change was a key existential threat to humanity and decarbonising the personal transport sector was the biggest way to effect that which he could see, to fighting climate change = communism.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,349
    Eabhal said:

geoffw said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Thanks for the Starmer update. I've just asked James Daly to write a letter to Stephen Watson demanding for a full twelve detective investigation.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,439

He's been on a bit of a journey, hasn't he?

From building up Tesla because climate change was a key existential threat to humanity and decarbonising the personal transport sector was the biggest way to effect that which he could see, to fighting climate change = communism.
    Twitter has radicalised him, just as Laurence Fox was radicalised by youtube.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,468

Taz said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Jeepers

Three Monarchs and Four Prime Ministers - The story of the disastrous Get Brexit Done Parliament of 2019-2025.
    How is Truss managing to kill this one off, then?
    Ask Anabobz. He seems a little obsessed with Truss, or is it TRUSS , she is almost as much an obsession as cash.
    TRUSS
    T

R

U

S

S