Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Not another December election? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Foxy said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    45m
    Israel is an ally of the UK. Iran is an enemy of the UK. That’s it.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1779246384777957840

Nope. Neither is our business any more.
    Nope, Israel is our ally and our friend and despite our best efforts the only democracy in the region.

Which is part of the reason why so many on the far left hate it so much.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,683
    boulay said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

How serious is the Iran/Israel situation?

If Israel responds with nukes - which it may do if it regards the threat as existential - then we could be talking WW3.
    That's good, in some predictions an all out nuke war would only last a very short time. In the Fallout universe it lasted about 2 hours.

Granted there were some lingering effects.
    Londoners, it’s been nice knowing you.
    If it’s the end of the world my ex is going to be fuming. She had the perfect opportunity to run me over today and frankly I’m amazed she didn’t as she was so determined to appear not to be noticing or seeing me walking through the car park within a couple of feet from her car that she was driving towards me looking sideways.

I can picture her face when she sees the news tomorrow that it is WW3 and being so so angry with herself.
    When we were facing the end of the world in March 2022 I had my escape plan involving Morocco, meticulously calculated on a spreadsheet.

But this one is a bit trickier. If Israel-Gaza is the trigger but (presumably) Russia is still the button presser at the end, is a Muslim country going to be welcoming? Gaza logic says maybe not. But sectarian Sunni-Shia logic says maybe.

But perhaps option 2, which was Ireland, is a better answer. Or Chile which was off limits back in 2022 due to Covid restrictions but now an option albeit a rather distant one.
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 571
    edited April 13

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    45m

Can I see a copy of the treaty of alliance then? Because it's unlawful for UN member states to agree secret treaties of alliance. What are its terms?

Article 102 of the UN Charter:

"Every treaty and every international agreement entered into by any Member of the United Nations after the present Charter comes into force shall as soon as possible be registered with the Secretariat and published by it."
  • Options
    More people are going to die :(
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,775
    edited April 13
    nico679 said:

Netenyahu is willing for the whole Middle East to go up in smoke if it means he can stay in power .

Why is the west being dragged into another disaster ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,967
    TimS said:

boulay said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

If Israel responds with nukes - which it may do if it regards the threat as existential - then we could be talking WW3.
    That's good, in some predictions an all out nuke war would only last a very short time. In the Fallout universe it lasted about 2 hours.

If it’s the end of the world my ex is going to be fuming. She had the perfect opportunity to run me over today and frankly I’m amazed she didn’t as she was so determined to appear not to be noticing or seeing me walking through the car park within a couple of feet from her car that she was driving towards me looking sideways.

I can picture her face when she sees the news tomorrow that it is WW3 and being so so angry with herself.
    When we were facing the end of the world in March 2022 I had my escape plan involving Morocco, meticulously calculated on a spreadsheet.

But this one is a bit trickier. If Israel-Gaza is the trigger but (presumably) Russia is still the button presser at the end, is a Muslim country going to be welcoming? Gaza logic says maybe not. But sectarian Sunni-Shia logic says maybe.

But perhaps option 2, which was Ireland, is a better answer. Or Chile which was off limits back in 2022 due to Covid restrictions but now an option albeit a rather distant one.
    I’m going to get down to the marina and steal the biggest catamaran i can find and go full “Waterworld”. I just need a tomato plant, a harpoon gun and some gills.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited April 13
    Via Haaretz;

Reuters
    1 minute ago
    Report: Drones launched by Yemen's Houthis towards Israel
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,759
    edited April 13
    Donkeys said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    45m

Can I see a copy of the treaty of alliance then? Because it's unlawful for UN member states to agree secret treaties of alliance. What are its terms?

"Every treaty and every international agreement entered into by any Member of the United Nations after the present Charter comes into force shall as soon as possible be registered with the Secretariat and published by it."
    Much of its classified, which is not unlawful.

And the UN is a bag of piss.

https://www.jewishnews.co.uk/uk-israel-military-cooperation/

British and Israeli military leaders have signed a joint agreement to strengthen their cooperation in a range of areas, in a move heralded by diplomats.

Much of the detail of the agreement is classified but it is thought to cover areas of warfare such as maritime, land, air, space, and cyber and electromagnetic.

UK Ambassador to Israel Neil Wigan said he was “delighted” to announce that Britain’s Chief of Defence Staff Gen. Sir Nicholas Carter and the IDF’s Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Aviv Kochavi had agreed “to further deepen our military co-operation”.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,222
    TimS said:

So it’s the end of days this evening I see.

In related end of days news I finally found the cadaver of our fish that disappeared from its tank during our holiday. Or rather, my wife found it after returning home. She has more of an eye for detail than me. It had obviously jumped out then slithered off down the back of the chest the tank was on. Semi-dried and smelling like kippers.

Talking of fish the best fish dish is hake with béarnaise sauce and fries. Like steak, but with hake.

It’s the death he would have wanted. Dignified.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    45m

Nope, Israel is our ally and our friend and despite our best efforts the only democracy in the region.

Nope. Our history of getting involved with wars in the Middle East is one of fiasco after fiasco. Each time we just make things worse.

Masterly inactivity is the way forward.
    So we should stand back and let Israel take care of the problem for us?

They do have a far superior track record I suppose, you may be right.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

Jesus Bart is crazy. Welcoming a war with Iran? They have nuclear weapons!

Bart mirrors his hero Netanyahu, ie a f*cking lunatic!
  • Options
    edited April 13

Donkeys said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    45m

British and Israeli military leaders have signed a joint agreement to strengthen their cooperation in a range of areas, in a move heralded by diplomats.

Much of the detail of the agreement is classified but it is thought to cover areas of warfare such as maritime, land, air, space, and cyber and electromagnetic.

UK Ambassador to Israel Neil Wigan said he was “delighted” to announce that Britain’s Chief of Defence Staff Gen. Sir Nicholas Carter and the IDF’s Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Aviv Kochavi had agreed “to further deepen our military co-operation”.
    You seriously think saying something is classified makes for an exemption to a legal obligation to give it to the UN Secretariat for publication? There'd be no fucking point in having Article 102 if that was the case. "Here's the law - obey it when you want to."

It doesn't have to give away military secrets FFS. The NATO treaty is public. Is it "an attack on one of us is an attack on both", or what? Is it "just ask for any weapons you need to commit genocide, and we'll send them over"? Who knows?
  • Options
    edited April 13
    murali_s said:

I don't like Netanyahu and I don't entirely agree with how he's prosecuting the war either.

Ie the IDF should have gone into Rafah weeks ago in my humble opinion.

If he doesn't seek regime change in Iran after tonight, I'll be disliking him even more.
  • Options

The lengths people will go to in order to stop Israel being in Eurovision this year.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,361
    TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

In related end of days news I finally found the cadaver of our fish that disappeared from its tank during our holiday. Or rather, my wife found it after returning home. She has more of an eye for detail than me. It had obviously jumped out then slithered off down the back of the chest the tank was on. Semi-dried and smelling like kippers.

Talking of fish the best fish dish is hake with béarnaise sauce and fries. Like steak, but with hake.

Oooh. Recipe for the bearnaise with hake?
    So simple almost not a recipe. Salt a hake fillet. Fry it very hot in butter but don’t overcook or it’ll go cottony. (Also works with monkfish). Put aside and grate loads of black pepper on it and pour over the pan butter.

Make or buy a béarnaise sauce. Making is easy enough, do a hollandaise with melted butter and an egg yolk, and blend in lots of tarragon, salt and (if you want though it’s not orthodox) garlic.

Serve with French fries or gratin dauphinoise, and red wine.

It’s man fish.
    #OOOH

That sounds good. Am gonna do tomorrow, methinks, subject to Doomsday
  • Options
    Donkeys said:

Donkeys said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    45m

You seriously think saying something is classified makes for an exemption to a legal obligation to give it to the UN Secretariat for publication? There'd be no fucking point in having Article 102 if that was the case.
    There is no fucking point in the UN, agreed.

International law . . .
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,720
    TimS said:

boulay said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Best of luck with all of that. No plausible 'escape' plans for us - I am not sure I'd facny my chances of lasting long in a post-apocalyptic world.

Perhaps I should get my wine collection out of storage?
  • Options

TimS said:

boulay said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Best of luck with all of that. No plausible 'escape' plans for us - I am not sure I'd facny my chances of lasting long in a post-apocalyptic world.

Perhaps I should get my wine collection out of storage?
    Can you imagine if they were all corked.” Aaaaaagh, I saved these beauties and it’s the end of the world and they are all shit.”
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

So simple almost not a recipe. Salt a hake fillet. Fry it very hot in butter but don’t overcook or it’ll go cottony. (Also works with monkfish). Put aside and grate loads of black pepper on it and pour over the pan butter.

Make or buy a béarnaise sauce. Making is easy enough, do a hollandaise with melted butter and an egg yolk, and blend in lots of tarragon, salt and (if you want though it’s not orthodox) garlic.

It’s man fish.
    #OOOH

That sounds good. Am gonna do tomorrow, methinks, subject to Doomsday
    Well, he does say fry the hake "very hot".
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,959

murali_s said:

I don't like Netanyahu and I don't entirely agree with how he's prosecuting the war either.

If he doesn't seek regime change in Iran after tonight, I'll be disliking him even more.
    I'm not going to unequivocally support regime change at this point, because I think there's too much that can go wrong. Far too much that can go wrong.

On the other hand, imagine how bad tonight would be right now if Iran had nukes. We're all joking about Threads and kissing our arses goodbye, but chances are most people would be running for cover right now if Iran had nuclear first strike capability.

I'm assuming the US and Israel are wondering the same thing, and if this latest provocation is the casus belli they need for regime change before we get to that point.

If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,859
    Donkeys said:

Donkeys said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    45m

You seriously think saying something is classified makes for an exemption to a legal obligation to give it to the UN Secretariat for publication? There'd be no fucking point in having Article 102 if that was the case. "Here's the law - obey it when you want to."
    Well, strictly speaking aren't most treaties and agreements in essence 'obey it when you want to', since nations either don't sign up to things at all, or ignore bits if they think they can get away with it (everyone claims to always be following international law after all, and they cannot all be right), but it does seem like a pretty integral part of the Charter and one I assume nations would look down harshly on for cocking about with, so sounds improbable.

Historically speaking of course people would break a treaty as soon as they could manage it, but we seem to be generally much better at following them in the modern era, which is good, as there are firmer and more wide ranging diplomatic consequences for not doing so, if you don't want to be a pariah state (having a lot of dosh can also exempt people from pariah status of course)..
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

murali_s said:

I'm not going to unequivocally support regime change at this point, because I think there's too much that can go wrong. Far too much that can go wrong.

On the other hand, imagine how bad tonight would be right now if Iran had nukes. We're all joking about Threads and kissing our arses goodbye, but chances are most people would be running for cover right now if Iran had nuclear first strike capability.

I'm assuming the US and Israel are wondering the same thing, and if this latest provocation is the casus belli they need for regime change before we get to that point.

Well said.

While many people are joking about the end of the world, and some do seem to be taking it seriously, we are fortunate that Iran don't have nuclear weapons and yours is another very good reason to do it now.

Quite frankly, war with Iran won't be WW3 because Iran has made itself rather friendless in the rest of the world. The Arab neighbours hate the regime, they won't back Israel either, but they wouldn't lift a finger to help Iran. Reality is many of them would be equally glad to see the back of Iran's leadership and would stand back and watch Israel take care of the problem for them.

Russia would be pissed off, but Russia is too preoccupied and too pissweak itself to do anything about it.

It'd probably be another six day war if it happened.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,074
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    45m

Nope. Our history of getting involved with wars in the Middle East is one of fiasco after fiasco. Each time we just make things worse.

We need to stand up for the global order.

That’s why we support Ukraine, and that’s why we have to support Israel on this occasion. Otherwise dictators and tyrants will feel free to attack the innocent with impunity and the world will be a less safe place.

• Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 790
    I hope the Iranian attack is utterly toothless and the extent of damage is that a couple of electricity pylons are knocked down from crashed drones.

Something that satisfies Iran's desire for retaliation while harmless enough that Israel can take the high ground in response.

I fear this is too optimistic a take on things.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,482
    TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

It’s man fish.
    I can never ever bring myself to drink red wine with fish. I know you're meant to do it with Beaujolais, but No. That's how James Bond cottoned on to that guy on the train.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,817
    What is the likely flight time here? Presumably the missiles arrive first before the drones.

Is Iran's declaration of launch a deliberate forewarning to minimise casualties - do Iran and Israel have any of the mutual understanding sometimes present between nation state enemies where the stakes are highest, of graduated attack and response? Is that too much to hope?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    Donkeys said:

Donkeys said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    45m

It doesn't have to give away military secrets FFS. The NATO treaty is public. Is it "an attack on one of us is an attack on both", or what? Is it "just ask for any weapons you need to commit genocide, and we'll send them over"? Who knows?
    I have a feeling that your boys are going to get a hell of a beating tonight sunshine.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,875
    Israel wipes out the consulate , Iran retaliates and now it’s back to a full on Netenyahu love-in .

Job done , attention moves away from Gaza and we have a parade of western leaders ignoring the obvious and parading their arse licking credentials ,
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

murali_s said:

Well said.

While many people are joking about the end of the world, and some do seem to be taking it seriously, we are fortunate that Iran don't have nuclear weapons and yours is another very good reason to do it now.

Quite frankly, war with Iran won't be WW3 because Iran has made itself rather friendless in the rest of the world. The Arab neighbours hate the regime, they won't back Israel either, but they wouldn't lift a finger to help Iran. Reality is many of them would be equally glad to see the back of Iran's leadership and would stand back and watch Israel take care of the problem for them.

Russia would be pissed off, but Russia is too preoccupied and too pissweak itself to do anything about it.

It'd probably be another six day war if it
    happened.
    The interesting thing was Jordan closing its airspace to all traffic and saying it would shoot down violators. They didn’t say it but it effectively gives Israel several hundred miles more to intercept any drone taking that route
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,762
    How long before the drones are due to arrive?
  • Options
    edited April 13
    nico679 said:

Israel wipes out the consulate , Iran retaliates and now it’s back to a full on Netenyahu love-in .

Job done , attention moves away from Gaza and we have a parade of western leaders ignoring the obvious and parading their arse licking credentials ,

There would be no fighting in Gaza if Hamas hadn't attacked Israel.

There would be no fighting in Gaza if Hamas laid down their weapons and released the hostages.

But sure, its all Netanyahu's fault.

How about you demand Hamas lay down their weapons and releases its hostages and stop blaming Israel for defending itself? 🤦‍♂️
  • Options
    Ratters said:

I hope the Iranian attack is utterly toothless and the extent of damage is that a couple of electricity pylons are knocked down from crashed drones.

Something that satisfies Iran's desire for retaliation while harmless enough that Israel can take the high ground in response.

I fear this is too optimistic a take on things.

I don’t think it’s optimistic as the Israelis, no doubt with the US involved too, have the sort of AirPower that can take things out without too much worry unlike Ukraine who has to endure the missiles and drones without having any sort of air superiority or capability. The fact that we have an ETA on the drones etc is a bit farcical and should allow a lot of defensive coverage. Every Israeli plane will be up. US planes will be up.

As you said, I hope it satisfies Iran and they can make up some BS for domestic consumption and honour is restored.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,959

kyf_100 said:

murali_s said:

Well said.

It'd probably be another six day war if it happened.
    Yep. I suspect it's war with Iran sooner or later, and if they're as close to nuclear capabilities as the latest reports suggest, sooner is wiser than later. Neither is desirable. But given the choice between fighting Iran now and fighting a nuclear armed Iran in a year's time...

The US and Israel have some hard decisions to make in the next day or two, assuming they haven't made those decisions already.
  • Options
    Yokes said:

There is every chance there is a meant be understood choreography in that everyone knows what the level of Iranian attack is and the hope that honour is fulfilled. The joker here is not Iran or its mates, its Israel and how it responds

It has that feeling about it. In that vein, one must hope they sort of hit something with no casualties but an explosion and mess of some kind. Some old tanks parked in a row? Benjamin Netanyahu's conservatory (with him safe in Egypt n' all)?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,336
    edited April 13
    nico679 said:

I have never endorsed Netanyahu but Hamas are equally guilty

Not sure what your solution to this very dangerous situation is but would be interested to hear
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Makes me think - my last ever PB post could be:

How long before the Russian nukes are due to arri
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

70 minutes
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

The last ever PB post could be a new thread announcing the nukes and TSE claiming first.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

London’s back ba
  • Options

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

It’s man fish.
    I can never ever bring myself to drink red wine with fish. I know you're meant to do it with Beaujolais, but No. That's how James Bond cottoned on to that guy on the train.
    It can definitely be a problem though only with some fish - I avoid tannic reds with flat fish like plaice or sole and fatty fish like mackerel as they taste metallic. But Pinot noir, Gamay, Blaufrankisch, Nebbiolo, even Tempranillo are fine with meaty fish: hake, monkfish, big cod, and seafood like prawns or squid. Chilled.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,264
    Its a good attack line for Rishi. Iran would never had attacked if it hadn't been for that Sir Keith Donkey being Prime Minister. So everyone needs to Vote Conservative to stop Starmer and put Sunak into power.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,941
    Sounds like it's on like donkey kong
  • Options
    Via Haaretz

Iran’s state media: ballistic missiles launched towards israel
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

You need to get yourself up to 50,000. For posterity. Perhaps aliens, AI and scrambled eggs on toast might provide content for the next 18,000 posts.
  • Options
    ping said:

Via Haaretz

Iran’s state media: ballistic missiles launched towards israel

Surely everyone else agrees its time for regime change now?

It'll never be enough for some people, will it?
  • Options

Its a good attack line for Rishi. Iran would never had attacked if it hadn't been for that Sir Keith Donkey being Prime Minister. So everyone needs to Vote Conservative to stop Starmer and put Sunak into power.

I am not sure making this political is sensible

I expect Sunak to call cobra and keep Starmer very involved

You may not like it but Sunak is PM and carries a big responsibility
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,817
    boulay said:

Andy_JS said:

London’s back ba
    Sir Graham Brady's postm
  • Options
    I wonder if God is keeping score?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    45m

That’s why we support Ukraine, and that’s why we have to support Israel on this occasion. Otherwise dictators and tyrants will feel free to attack the innocent with impunity and the world will be a less safe place.

The 90's called; it wants its naive belief in liberal intervention back.
  • Options

Iran attacked whilst the world was focussed on Angela Rayner’s address details. Labour, helping Iran - Corbin is still the puppeteer.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,205

I'm voting LD now cos I know Sir Ed will sort it out 👍
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    45m

Liberalism is the greatest thing humanity has ever done.

And interventionism is the worst thing liberal humanity has ever tried, except for all alternatives.
  • Options
    https://www.tehrantimes.com/news/497077/Defense-minister-warns-countries-supporting-Israel

"(Iranian defence minister) Brigadier General Mohammad Reza Ashtiani took to Twitter in Hebrew, asserting that any nation facilitating Israeli aggression against Iran by permitting access to its airspace or territory will face Tehran's decisive response."
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Israel had been at war with Iran one way or another for years. Probably best it comes to a head.

You need to ask yourself why would Iran be interested in being at war with Israel.
  • Options
    edited April 13

nico679 said:

There would be no fighting in Gaza if Hamas laid down their weapons and released the hostages.

How about you demand Hamas lay down their weapons and releases its hostages and stop blaming Israel for defending itself? 🤦‍♂️
    Hamas started it with a sickening terrorist orgy. Israel has retaliated with excessive brutality and arrogance, and some pretty nasty rhetoric.

Iran has meddled, interfered and generally misbehaved throughout. But when Israel killed a number of its men on diplomatic soil it got itself the right to retaliate.

The whole region is full of people with too much hate, too little space, and too many major powers egging them on. I think I’m with Foxy on this. We are best keeping well out of it.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Andy_JS said:

You need to get yourself up to 50,000. For posterity. Perhaps aliens, AI and scrambled eggs on toast might provide content for the next 18,000 posts.
    Pal, I already post enough twaddle on here as it is - don't encourage me.
  • Options

nico679 said:

Netenyahu is part of the problem and will do anything to stay in power . Wiping out the Iranian consulate was designed to inflame tensions and force the west to stop their criticisms as Iran retaliated. I’m surprised the media have been so complicit in not calling out the bleeding obvious .
  • Options
    David Cameron calls on Iran to stop this escalation
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,097
    https://x.com/tendar/status/1779265982722150701

Al-Arabiya reports that US and British forces are engaged in intercepting drones over Syria and Iraq.

Egypt's air defense is on highest alert.

Jordan and Saudi Arabia are allegedly also involved in intercepting drones.
  • Options
    Israel is fucking stupid.
  • Options

That should sort it.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Netenyahu is part of the problem and will do anything to stay in power . Wiping out the Iranian consulate was designed to inflame tensions and force the west to stop their criticisms as Iran retaliated. I’m surprised the media have been so complicit in not calling out the bleeding obvious .
    Or it was designed to kill the targets who were there, who were entirely legitimate targets and well done for killing them.

Its funny, there's people here who keep bemoaning that Israel is hurting Palestinians but not going after high ranking Hamas targets, yet when they go after high ranking targets then you bemoan that too.

Its almost as if you believe that Israel uniquely has no right to self-defence?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

The last ever PB post could be a new thread announcing the nukes and TSE claiming first.
    Ideally a Cyclefree post as that will give us a bit more time to brace.
  • Options

Iran is fucking stupid.

Israel is our democratic ally that is defending itself.

You're getting back to your Corbynite far-left worse. Take a good look in the mirror.
  • Options

That should sort it.
    Have a like, sir!
  • Options
    TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

Ideally a Cyclefree post as that will give us a bit more time to brace.
    That nearly made me spit my rum out my nose! 🤣
  • Options

That should sort it.
    Hopefully he's purrrring down the telephone at them.
  • Options

Why so. Should they let themselves be attacked with no retaliation.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,097

That should sort it.
    Cameron should propose his trusty in-out referendum solution for the Middle East.
  • Options

That should sort it.
    Cameron should propose his trusty in-out referendum solution for the Middle East.
    Just don't send Ed Miliband to the Middle East.

Imagine the chaos!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Israel attacked Iran first!
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Would the fact that Iran is behind Hamas and a high ranking Hamas target was killed in that strike be of any news or relevance to you?

Or is it always the Jews Israel's fault?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    45m

And interventionism is the worst thing liberal humanity has ever tried, except for all alternatives.
    Intervention worked in some cases and was ill conceived in others. Plenty of liberals could see the Iraq intervention for the disaster it was months before it happened. But non-intervention (or rather, toothless pretend intervention) in the Balkans early on led to Srebrenica.

Ukraine is a simple calculation: there’s good guys and bad guys, and the bad guys are out to get us. Gaza is nowhere near as simple. Either from a pro-Israel or pro-Palestinian perspective.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,897
    If we are following the Threads scenario, Finnningley got evaporated first so as long as I'm posting you'll be alri
  • Options
    edited April 13
    Well, if WW3 is about to break out and bring an end to us all, I have to say today has been a very pleasant last day, weatherwise. Excellent sunset too.

Shame I wasted it pressure washing the patio slabs really :(
  • Options

That should sort it.
    I’m looking forward to the peace talks in his shepherd’s hut on wheels. If he was gay they could call it the Camp David Accords II.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    45m

Intervention worked in some cases and was ill conceived in others. Plenty of liberals could see the Iraq intervention for the disaster it was months before it happened. But non-intervention (or rather, toothless pretend intervention) in the Balkans early on led to Srebrenica.

Ukraine is a simple calculation: there’s good guys and bad guys, and the bad guys are out to get us. Gaza is nowhere near as simple. Either from a pro-Israel or pro-Palestinian perspective.
    Hamas are bad guys.
    Iran are bad guys.

The calculus is simple.
  • Options
    Would Iran be doing this missile and drone attack if Israeli hasn’t attacked their consulate in Damascus ?

• Options
    TimS said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    45m

Unless you're Barty.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

When did history start, the day before yesterday. Iran has for decades supported a war via proxy against Israel. Now they seem to be trying to go direct. Finally. Yet you blame Israel.

You need to take a moment to work out whose values you align with. Those of Iran or those of Israel.

Let us know when you have decided.
  • Options

Its parody. Sunak spends so much time attacking the Starmer government who stop his opposition doing what they want to do. This would be no different.
  • Options
    ping said:

That should sort it.
    Have a like, sir!
    Away with you - it'll go to my head!
  • Options
    edited April 13
    nico679 said:

Would Iran be doing this missile and drone attack if Israeli hasn’t attacked their consulate in Damascus ?

Would Israel have hit the consulate in Damascus if it wasn't for the Iranian-backed attack on Israel last October and the fact a high ranking Hamas target was in the consulate to be hit?

The strike Israel did was entirely legitimate self-defence after it was struck first. Why do you ignore that? Do you only want Israel to strike against Palestinian targets?
  • Options

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    45m

Hamas are bad guys.
    Iran are bad guys.

The calculus is simple.
    Likud are bad guys too. This is more IRA vs UVF.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Would Israel have attacked their consulate in Damascus if Iran hadn't been conducting a proxy war against them for decades.
  • Options
    TimS said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    45m

Hamas are bad guys.
    Iran are bad guys.

The calculus is simple.
    Likud are unpleasant guys, but not bad guys in the same way.

And Israel is currently led by a government of national unity like Britain in WWII, not by Likud.

This is more like Britain vs Nazi Germany.
  • Options

Iran the Iranian? Good evening! On behalf of the city, county and state of New York...
  • Options
    TimS said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    45m

Hamas are bad guys.
    Iran are bad guys.

The calculus is simple.
    Or Mike Tyson v Jake Paul.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,897
    edited April 13
    TimS said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    45m

Hamas are bad guys.
    Iran are bad guys.

The calculus is simple.
    With the Israelis as the UVF? That's probably about right.

They belong in jail but at least they aren't trying to blow up Manchester.
  • Options
    Starmer’s message. Seems reasonable:

https://x.com/keir_starmer/status/1779266317532475699?s=46
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,266

TOPPING said:

Would the fact that Iran is behind Hamas and a high ranking Hamas target was killed in that strike be of any news or relevance to you?

You are being a real t*** tonight. Questioning Netanyahu's motives is not an attack on the right of existence for Israel. Bibi is a very bad man.
  • Options

Its parody. Sunak spends so much time attacking the Starmer government who stop his opposition doing what they want to do. This would be no different.
    I would expect Sunak and Starmer to be totally united in their response

I am certain the left of Labour and Jeremy Corbyn followers will not be in agreement
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,356

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    45m

Hamas are bad guys.
    Iran are bad guys.

The calculus is simple.
    Israel-Palestine is a Civil War between:

Ritual penis-mutilators
    Ritual animal-slaughterers
    Pig-haters
    People who read from right to left

Have I missed out anything?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,859
    TimS said:
    "Seems reasonable" may be his campaign slogan.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    45m

The 90's called; it wants its naive belief in
    liberal intervention back.
    Realpolitik not naive

Liberal intervention is trying to effect change through surgical intervention.

That’s not what I am suggesting at all
  • Options
    TimS said:
    Exactly as I predicted
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,989
    Stop it children!
    You're both in the wrong!

Just warming up for Monday. Of absolutely no relevance.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

You are being a real t*** tonight. Questioning Netanyahu's motives is not an attack on the right of existence for Israel. Bibi is a very bad man.
    I've made an analogy of contrasting Israel and its war with WWII and the UK's own government of national unity just as Israel currently has.

That war ended with a change of government in WWII. I have no love for either Netanyahu or Likud. I'd love to nothing more see this war end and Netanyahu defeated in the next election.

But first things first. The war needs to be won and the enemy needs to surrender unconditionally.
This discussion has been closed.