Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Not another December election? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,229

Vegan food? I spent the best part of a decade selling plant based food. Huge improvements in choice and quality in that time. Reality is that most people eating vegan food are not vegan.

Meat reduction is fine. If that's what people want to do, let them. I whore myself for a global meat company these days, so sod vegan...

That's the point. I occasionally eat vegan. I occasionally cook vegan; many vegetarian recipes can be made vegan fairly easily, with little change in taste (sometimes even a better taste). But then again, when we got back this morning I cooked myself some nice bacon.

Variety is the spice of life, and all that.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,788
    ohnotnow said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is quite something. Guy's first reaction to the Sydney killings is to feed it into his.... anti-bike-lane narrative

"The police and ambulance staging outside Westfield Bondi Junction would have been severely impacted by bike lanes which had been proposed for the area. The Eastern Suburbs is a heavily congested area which impacts ambo arrival and transport. This will be a first responder case study for years."

https://x.com/VoteLewko/status/1779048501395263845

Hypothetical bike lanes are evil and the lady policeman lost her hat.
    What gets me about the whole Ukraine situation is that there's no provision for vegans

Like, OK, 300,000 are dead and Russia has laid waste to most of east Ukraine and it will possibly turn into World War Three but surely there could be at least one pop-up falafel stall? Is that so hard? Or a tofu buffet in a tent?
    Outside of London, Brighton and its colonies Veganism is non-existent in most parts of Europe.

In fact, it would be considered deeply weird.
    Vegan food can be found in every supermarket in Britain and Ireland, possibly Europe.

It's possible that this is because a few Vegan activists have captured the decision-making of Europe's supermarkets, and at some point they will stop throwing money (and unsold vegan food) away, but I think it shows that there is a niche there, and there are actually a few vegans, sprinkled around the place.

Are you sure your neighbour isn't a vegan?
    The fact that almost all supermarkets might have a (tiny) section of plant-based crap around the nation doesn't disprove the point.

Veganism is a tiny percentage (2-3% of the population, at best) and that cultural and social phenomenon is heavily concentrated in London and Brighton and a few other Met colonies, which manage to spin off and sustain a few restaurants and so forth.

Elsewhere it's negligible but of course supermarkets cater to all tastes, just as they sell all sorts of niche ingredients and foods to others who exist in even fewer numbers.
    "plant-based crap"
    How do you know it's 'crap' if you don't eat it?

"Elsewhere it's negligible"
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
    Ha ha ha ha-ha-ha-ha ha ha ha
    I'm in Bulgaria right now, you dipstick. Doesn't exist.

Even by virtue of that wanker map you linked to.
    Are they still doing the 0.5/1kg options for how much meat, even in the posher Sofia places?
    Dunno, but my father-in-law has a got a whole lamb (and a mean a whole one - even the head) in the garage ready for a spit-roast tomorrow.

In the UK it'd probably cost, like, £300 but it's not much here.
    That's Eid, though. And for Muslims it is a huge tradition.

I'd suggest that for the UK £200 is closer, but perhaps more like £170 at Halal outlets. Both quick Google search results.

If you go to organic retail, it may well not be the lamb that is the spit roast.
    I'm waiting for payday to do a bit of a freezer-restock from these folk :

https://www.blackface.co.uk/

The Blackface Meat Company believes passionately in the link between a healthy landscape and the highest quality meat. The two are so closely bound that the flavour of our products is of the land itself, the heather and the berries, the wild grasses and fresh waters of the burns found in the most beautiful, unspoilt regions of Britain.

We are a small family business based in the South West of Scotland. We supply a wide range of high quality, oven-ready game from selected estates and we also source finest quality Outdoor Reared Pork, Blackface Lamb and Mutton, Salt Marsh Lamb and Mutton, Native Scotch Beef, and Free Range Bronze Turkeys.. This is the heritage lamb, mutton, game and beef enjoyed by our ancestors, now available all over the UK via our efficient home delivery service. We also source wild boar and goat, although may not always have stock.

Does Justin Trudeau have anything to do with that company?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,519
    Carnyx said:

Like people bringing dinosaurs back to life, prospective vegans should spend a little less time thinking about whether they could, and a little more pondering whether they should.

(a) dinosaurs never died out, I was cleaning the crap off my garden water barrel this afternoon
    (b) the sort you are thinking of are in a film. Fictional. Anyone who knows *anything* about DNA and fossils will tell you that their chances of reanimation are about on a par with Ms Truss's chances, come to think of it.

Like people bringing dinosaurs back to life, prospective vegans should spend a little less time thinking about whether they could, and a little more pondering whether they should.

"I happen to be a vegetarian!" - Lex.
    “I happen to be a vegetarian” - brachiosaurus.
    Vegan, even.
    There seems to be a thing for calling birds, dinosaurs. Yes birds evolved from them, but so what? Everything alive today eveolved from something and has an unbroken chain of existence back to the origin or origins of life.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,412
    Yokes said:

Reports , unconfirmed, of UAV launches by Iran. Bear in mind if they have launched, they are slowwwww.

Looks like it.

https://x.com/censoredmen/status/1779234353450561690?s=61
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

(a) dinosaurs never died out, I was cleaning the crap off my garden water barrel this afternoon
    (b) the sort you are thinking of are in a film. Fictional. Anyone who knows *anything* about DNA and fossils will tell you that their chances of reanimation are about on a par with Ms Truss's chances, come to think of it.

Vegan, even.
    There are serious efforts being made to bring mammoths back. And other recently extinct creatures (such as the thylacine) may follow.
  • Options

Vegan food? I spent the best part of a decade selling plant based food. Huge improvements in choice and quality in that time. Reality is that most people eating vegan food are not vegan.

Meat reduction is fine. If that's what people want to do, let them. I whore myself for a global meat company these days, so sod vegan...

There is an definite issue with the competing issues of processed/ultra processed food, and much of the plant based products available in supermarkets.
    I know someone who is vegan whose diet seems to consist almost entirely of ultra processed shite.

And then throws a wobbler if his chips have been in the same oil as a battered fish.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,123
    edited April 13
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Seeing as convo is quite random, a question

Does anyone have any exciting fish recipes? I accept this is not quite OMG IRAN HAS ATTACKED ISRAEL

But there's a lot of culinarily clever people here on PB. I love fish and I like fish recipes that take about 30-40 minutes, to prep and cook. Enough to be a tiny mental challenge and to use my hands satisfyingly, but not Michelin standards of complexity and boiling-fish-heads-for-stock

My ideal is this fish risotto which I found on BBC GoodFood, which - if suitably adapted with garlic, white wine, parmesan, dashi, and parsley, is fab, and takes about 30-35 mins

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/smoked-haddock-leek-risotto

Ideas welcome. Gratitude

Indeed I'd take this for any healthy meat: venison, guineafowl etc

Not a recipe as such, but getting some 'fish pie mix' and then just lightly poaching it in a SE Asian broth of some kind - spicy or herby or zingy - some rice, some steamed veg with some sesame seeds or furikake. Very nice and very quick.
    Kedgeree. Butter/olive oil, a little curry or the yellow stuff, chopped onions, soften: then a mug of basmati rice and some water, frozen peas, currants: simmer gently like a a risotto till done.

Near the end, throw in some smoked fish or frozen prawns or hard boiled egg or 2/3 thereof, judgiung the timing to suit.

Use proper undyed smoked haddock, though: can keep it in the fridge and break chunks off. Mrs C likes to poach it separately in a small pan of water to ensure it is cooked when added.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,459

Can someone explain to me the RUBBISH Sky coverage of The Masters? Please?

Why are we hearing chat from Nick Faldo and Laura Davies on the patio, when there are guys out on the course?

This isn't new, I am not much of a golf aficionado but even I know the Augusta Golf Club limit the number of live hours broadcasters can show.
    Golf. Sport for BMW drivers.
    Maybe - I have played to single figures, held most official positions including Captain and President and most of the time while owning BMWs

Now I am not able to play I have a Mercedes !!
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,480
    edited April 13

Can someone explain to me the RUBBISH Sky coverage of The Masters? Please?

Why are we hearing chat from Nick Faldo and Laura Davies on the patio, when there are guys out on the course?

This isn't new, I am not much of a golf aficionado but even I know the Augusta Golf Club limit the number of live hours broadcasters can show.
    Golf. Sport for BMW drivers.
    So much prejudice there. I love watching golf. I would love playing it except I’m so shit at it, there’s no point,

The idea of spending an entire Saturday knocking balls around a very big beautiful garden with your mates, then going for several beers, appeals.
    ...before getting the wife to pick you all up in your BMW M4.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Vegan, even.
    There are serious efforts being made to bring mammoths back. And other recently extinct creatures (such as the thylacine) may follow.
    Lot of old bollocks (or actually not at all). Far too much depends on cytoplasmic continuity.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    December 12th was my choice in the PB Competition.

Off topic, immensely chuffed to receive this accolade from one of the best equality lawyers around and to be named amongst so many fine lawyers - https://x.com/audreysuffolk/status/1779155167109136751?s=61&t=wWWeJB3W_ksMJK4LA1OvkA.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,248

There is an definite issue with the competing issues of processed/ultra processed food, and much of the plant based products available in supermarkets.
    I know someone who is vegan whose diet seems to consist almost entirely of ultra processed shite.

And then throws a wobbler if his chips have been in the same oil as a battered fish.
    You have hit on something there.

Can someone please invent a diet which consists of decent, well-reared food?

Can we call it Realatarian?

• Options
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Vegan, even.
    Lot of old bollocks (or actually not at all). Far too much depends on cytoplasmic continuity.
    I don’t think they will get an actual mammoth, but it’s not impossible that they will get something close.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Vegan, even.
    There seems to be a thing for calling birds, dinosaurs. Yes birds evolved from them, but so what? Everything alive today eveolved from something and has an unbroken chain of existence back to the origin or origins of life.
    So? Birds are a rather small subgroup of dinosaurs. Part of a much larger group of dinos which had feathers, intelligence, good vision, and many of which were fliers. The position you quote is like claiming that bats aren't mammals.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,080
    Carnyx said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Does anyone have any exciting fish recipes? I accept this is not quite OMG IRAN HAS ATTACKED ISRAEL

But there's a lot of culinarily clever people here on PB. I love fish and I like fish recipes that take about 30-40 minutes, to prep and cook. Enough to be a tiny mental challenge and to use my hands satisfyingly, but not Michelin standards of complexity and boiling-fish-heads-for-stock

My ideal is this fish risotto which I found on BBC GoodFood, which - if suitably adapted with garlic, white wine, parmesan, dashi, and parsley, is fab, and takes about 30-35 mins

Ideas welcome. Gratitude

Not a recipe as such, but getting some 'fish pie mix' and then just lightly poaching it in a SE Asian broth of some kind - spicy or herby or zingy - some rice, some steamed veg with some sesame seeds or furikake. Very nice and very quick.
    Kedgeree. Butter/olive oil, a little curry or the yellow stuff, chopped onions, soften: then a mug of basmati rice and some water, frozen peas, currants: simmer gently like a a risotto till done.

Near the end, throw in some smoked fish or frozen prawns or hard boiled egg or 2/3 thereof, judgiung the timing to suit.

Use proper undyed smoked haddock, though: can keep it in the fridge and break chunks off. Mrs C likes to poach it separately in a small pan of water to ensure it is cooked when added.
    I love kedgeree, we used to have it as the cooked breakfast at school once a week but luckily never on a Friday or Saturday so you didn’t risk burping smoked fish whilst trying to chat up a girl when sneaking out on a Friday or Saturday night.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,889
    edited April 13

MattW said:

Nigelb said:

"Blue hydrogen" is even more unjustifiable economically.
    It's effectively government subsiding the mass production of a product for which there isn't a demand beyond the existing market, in the hope of creating one.

And the cost of production, while for now substantially cheaper than 'green hydrogen' (produced by electrolysis of water, is both subject to commodity prices, and technologically unlikely to fall much.
    Whereas ghee's a great deal of headrooom to improve the efficiency and capital cost of bulk electrolysis.

A lot of industry wants to fuel switch from natural gas to low carbon hydrogen in order to decarbonise their operations.

Then we have the whole question of domestic heating. Hydrogen boilers or god-awful heat pumps and an entirely new central heating system. I know which I prefer.
    I suggest the smart call at present is perhaps air to air heat pumps, of which there are various options available. Perhaps with photovoltaic solar water heating.

Obviously like all types of everything for heating the philosophy is fabric first.
    I’ve just installed air to air heat pumps in a loft conversion. Think a/c that can run in reverse. You ask it for 21c, and it does what it needs to do to reach that temperature.

You don’t actually need to heat a modern loft conversion. Insulation + heat rising means cooling it the issue.

I’d also recommend an opening skylight. Lots of light pouring in and when open, you get incredible passive ventilation.
    A system I am seeing a few people using is multiple A2A heat pumps, and control via a remote phone application.

On skylights - absolutely yes; you want the ability to secure overnight stack ventilation to purge vent from say 10pm to 6am during serious heatwaves. Needs consideration to make skylights and downstairs windows / doors secure and easy to reach. Skylights angled away from direct sunlight are useful.

Passive house self-builders in the UK have been treating letting heat out as a more significant problem than keeping heat in for quite a few years. There are particular issues with very hot heatwaves (say for 2-3 weeks in July or August), and with overheating because of low sun in spring / autumn ("the shoulder months").

Traditional Grand Designs ideas say 2000-2015 were using those wooden structures outside around windows, but these days there are very effective anti-solar window films, use of traditional deep eaves etc. Building from new or for an extension, there's much to be said for external electric shutters.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,993
    Carnyx said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Ideas welcome. Gratitude

I thought of Kedgeree, but then remembered Leons fondness for just using microwave 'rice-in-a-bag'.
  • Options
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 723
    West Bank: soldiers and mob have attacked villages, leaving 30 Palestinians injured and 1 killed yesterday, 19 injured today, and 1 missing Israeli teenaged settler has been found dead.
  • Options

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Ideas welcome. Gratitude

A Moroccan fish tagine is certainly worth trying.

I did once do a bizarre recipe from a Moroccan book of fish encrusted in a sugar and almond crust. Which actually kind of worked. There are plenty of almond crust fish recipes, but not many that are deliberately sweet. There is a historical story behind that recipe, but I can’t remember what it is.
    Ta, I shall investigate. Tho I generally DO find tagines a bit sweet
    I like smothering a piece of pan-fried salmon in home made beurre-blanc. For anyone uninitiated, it's a sauce made with white wine, white wine vinegar, onions and blocks and blocks of butter, whisked into the vinegar reduction to make an emulsion. Serve with boiled new potatoes and a green veg like kale or asparagus.
    You packing new season asparagus with that?

I have heard that it’s here. Not had any yet.

Bloody lovely.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is quite something. Guy's first reaction to the Sydney killings is to feed it into his.... anti-bike-lane narrative

"The police and ambulance staging outside Westfield Bondi Junction would have been severely impacted by bike lanes which had been proposed for the area. The Eastern Suburbs is a heavily congested area which impacts ambo arrival and transport. This will be a first responder case study for years."

What gets me about the whole Ukraine situation is that there's no provision for vegans

Like, OK, 300,000 are dead and Russia has laid waste to most of east Ukraine and it will possibly turn into World War Three but surely there could be at least one pop-up falafel stall? Is that so hard? Or a tofu buffet in a tent?
    Outside of London, Brighton and its colonies Veganism is non-existent in most parts of Europe.

Vegan food can be found in every supermarket in Britain and Ireland, possibly Europe.

It's possible that this is because a few Vegan activists have captured the decision-making of Europe's supermarkets, and at some point they will stop throwing money (and unsold vegan food) away, but I think it shows that there is a niche there, and there are actually a few vegans, sprinkled around the place.

The fact that almost all supermarkets might have a (tiny) section of plant-based crap around the nation doesn't disprove the point.

Veganism is a tiny percentage (2-3% of the population, at best) and that cultural and social phenomenon is heavily concentrated in London and Brighton and a few other Met colonies, which manage to spin off and sustain a few restaurants and so forth.

Elsewhere it's negligible but of course supermarkets cater to all tastes, just as they sell all sorts of niche ingredients and foods to others who exist in even fewer numbers.
    Not logical in the least. A lot of vegans avoid the supermarket ultraprocessed foods anyway. So you can't go on that basis.
    You are just a very sad dull dogmatic Scot who tries to make themselves feel better about the fact you haven't got Independence by trying to score minor points of fantastic pedantry with a selection of Sassenachs you think represent those who are holding you back, and fail to recognise your greatness.

It's all rather sad, really. Like this post.
    That's twice you've offered ad hominem insults in one evening when you can't answer the logical issues.

I'll repeat: MANY VEGANS WON'T TOUCH THE HYPERPROCESSED STUFF IN SUPERMARKETS. ERGO THE MARKET FOR THESE IS NO GUIDE AT ALL TO THE INCIDENCE OF VEGANISM.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Vegan, even.
    So? Birds are a rather small subgroup of dinosaurs. Part of a much larger group of dinos which had feathers, intelligence, good vision, and many of which were fliers. The position you quote is like claiming that bats aren't mammals.
    I think most regard dinosaurs and birds as separate. That may well be changing, and there is a lot of evidence that the Jurassic Park classic dinosaur depiction is wrong for many of the species (and not just the super sized velociraptors). I used to have a dinosaur book as a child that featured rather upright T-rexes, which became outdated a fair while back.
  • Options

Taz said:

Yokes said:

Reports , unconfirmed, of UAV launches by Iran. Bear in mind if they have launched, they are slowwwww.

Looks like it.

That video of a fuzzy dot in the sky takes us back to TV coverage of golf...
    A good walk spoiled.
  • Options
    edited April 13
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,163

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

It's effectively government subsiding the mass production of a product for which there isn't a demand beyond the existing market, in the hope of creating one.

And the cost of production, while for now substantially cheaper than 'green hydrogen' (produced by electrolysis of water, is both subject to commodity prices, and technologically unlikely to fall much.
    Whereas ghee's a great deal of headrooom to improve the efficiency and capital cost of bulk electrolysis.

A lot of industry wants to fuel switch from natural gas to low carbon hydrogen in order to decarbonise their operations.

Then we have the whole question of domestic heating. Hydrogen boilers or god-awful heat pumps and an entirely new central heating system. I know which I prefer.
    The ghosts of those who died in R101, R38 and the Hindenburg are waving at you...

But not the Shenandoah. That had helium.
    Full marks for mentioning the Hindenburg.

Zero marks for failing to mention the multitude of deaths from natural gas explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.

While hydrogen is more likely to leak, it disperses more readily so you are less likely to end up with an explosive mixture inside a building. And it doesn't generate CO when it burns. Or CO2 of course, which is the primary point of fuel switching.
    On the other hand, as someone who actually done work, personally, with hydrogen, I do not think that re-writing safety rules is a good idea.

The handling rules for hydrogen would mean replacing all pipes it runs in - unless you can guarantee composition and gas tighteness. Which is much more difficult than for natural gas.

The plumber who did some work for me recently, was hydrogen trained. Except they hadn’t actually used hydrogen on the course. Because they hadn’t refitted the training site and it was judged too dangerous…
    There's a case for subsidising industrial hydrogen, but the idea of using the gas grid to deliver it for domestic use appears nuts to me, FWIW.
  • Options
    Donkeys said:

West Bank: soldiers and mob have attacked villages, leaving 30 Palestinians injured and 1 killed yesterday, 19 injured today, and 1 missing Israeli teenaged settler has been found dead.

‘Proportionate’
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,993
    Taz said:
    I can either rewatch 'Threads' or shove on some 'Floyd on Food'.

I think I'll go with the latter.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Yokes said:

Looks like it.

A good walk spoiled.
    A lovely walk enhanced (but only if you are a few shots ahead of your mates).
  • Options
    Taz said:
    Which Iranian media? I'm following both IRNA and the Tehran Times.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Carnyx said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Ideas welcome. Gratitude

I love kedgeree, we used to have it as the cooked breakfast at school once a week but luckily never on a Friday or Saturday so you didn’t risk burping smoked fish whilst trying to chat up a girl when sneaking out on a Friday or Saturday night.
    I've done kedgeree from kipper fillets, which is pleasantly pungent.
  • Options
    edited April 13

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Vegan, even.
    I think most regard dinosaurs and birds as separate. That may well be changing, and there is a lot of evidence that the Jurassic Park classic dinosaur depiction is wrong for many of the species (and not just the super sized velociraptors). I used to have a dinosaur book as a child that featured rather upright T-rexes, which became outdated a fair while back.
    That changed about 1980-85, actually. I was there ... or rather a student when it happened.

The reconstructions of Tyrannosaurus changed about the same time.

Edit: but yes, it took a long time to filter out into the kiddy publisher zone.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Taz said:
    I can either rewatch 'Threads' or shove on some 'Floyd on Food'.

I think I'll go with the latter.
    The 1% club here with some home made ginger wine.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,288

But then again, when we got back this morning I cooked myself some nice bacon.

A local butcher sells centre cut bacon. Where has it been all my life?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Vegan, even.
    That changed about 1980-85, actually. I was there ... or rather a student when it happened.

Would fit with my late seventies book.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Vegan, even.
    I don’t think they will get an actual mammoth, but it’s not impossible that they will get something close.
    Sure, but a hairy Afdrican elephant does not make a Mammuthus primigenius any more than me wearing a doormat would make me a Neandertal. IIRC the teeth are different, and the diet and digestion would be.

It'd look great in zoos though.
  • Options
    Protect and Survive: British government information from 1975:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP5k5IWsDjA

Remember - obey instructions at all times.
  • Options
    edited April 13
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Ideas welcome. Gratitude

This is the fish pie recipe I batch cook, but I use frozen ready-to-use mashed potato from the supermarket.

I'd also put mustard and/or tartare or horseradish sauce in it.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/family-meals-easy-fish-pie-recipe

I've enjoyed the ideas that others have put forward. Now for supper.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Is that the old ‘middle cut bacon’ used to get years back.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,288
    Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

yes
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Vegan, even.

Would fit with my late seventies book.
    Just so. I have checked back and this 1970 paper was an early harbinger, even before Robert Bakker's book of c. 1974.

https://academic.oup.com/biolinnean/article-abstract/2/2/119/2682526

IIRC it took a few years for other scientists to look at the matters and develop their own ideas, but the shift was well under way by the early 80s.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

yes
    Used to love that. The best of back and streaky bacon.

Wallington Hall farm shop,used to sell it a few years back but stopped.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,822
    edited April 13

Leon said:

Leon said:

Indeed.

My local Asda typically stocks plenty of vegan food in the reduced to clear fridge as the ultraprocessed shite has been unsold and is now use by today.
  • Options
    edited April 13
    Sky correspondent from Jerusalem

Exrrtraordinarily dangerous moment in the middle east
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Vegan, even.
    Bringing back mammoths has been a story for several decades. Another is that they'll get speech from past centuries from the information contained in mortar between bricks.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

yes

Bibi's about to flatten Tehran and declare WW3 open and PB is focused on...cuts of bacon.
  • Options
    edited April 13

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

yes

Bibi's about to flatten Tehran and declare WW3 open and PB is focused on...cuts of bacon.
    I have actually been posting about Irans retribution as well 😂😂😂😂😂

Anyway. So,what. Life is short and middle bacon was ace. Especially rind on. Fuck Bibi, fuck Iran. Love food.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,730
    Can I just ask about my fish recipes?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

The ghosts of those who died in R101, R38 and the Hindenburg are waving at you...

But not the Shenandoah. That had helium.
    Full marks for mentioning the Hindenburg.

Zero marks for failing to mention the multitude of deaths from natural gas explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.

While hydrogen is more likely to leak, it disperses more readily so you are less likely to end up with an explosive mixture inside a building. And it doesn't generate CO when it burns. Or CO2 of course, which is the primary point of fuel switching.
    On the other hand, as someone who actually done work, personally, with hydrogen, I do not think that re-writing safety rules is a good idea.

The handling rules for hydrogen would mean replacing all pipes it runs in - unless you can guarantee composition and gas tighteness. Which is much more difficult than for natural gas.

The plumber who did some work for me recently, was hydrogen trained. Except they hadn’t actually used hydrogen on the course. Because they hadn’t refitted the training site and it was judged too dangerous…
    There's a case for subsidising industrial hydrogen, but the idea of using the gas grid to deliver it for domestic use appears nuts to me, FWIW.
    Fair play. You'd rather have a heat pump and have your central heating system ripped out. And have to wear two jumpers. And be left with a white elephant of a gas distribution network.

I'd rather reuse as much as possible, have a hydrogen boiler, stay warm and not emit CO2.
  • Options

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

yes

PB has its priorities right then. 😋🥓
  • Options
    edited April 13
    Al Jazeera is reporting the Iranian UAVs now, although for the time being they're citing...Israeli media (!) and Shitter.

On the closure of Jordanian airspace, they say this: "The Chairman of the Board of Commissioners for the (Jordanian Civil Aviation Regulatory Authority), Haitham Misto, said that air traffic in Jordan was affected as a result of interference in the GPS system, which prompted aircraft to use alternative systems."
    "Jordan, Iraq, Kuwait, Syria, and Lebanon have reported disruptions to civilian air traffic due to disturbances in GPS systems."
  • Options

Taz said:

Taz said:

Yokes said:

Looks like it.

A good walk spoiled.
    A lovely walk enhanced (but only if you are a few shots ahead of your mates).
    Half a dozen tequilas before playing?
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,056
    ohnotnow said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

"plant-based crap"

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Are they still doing the 0.5/1kg options for how much meat, even in the posher Sofia places?
    Dunno, but my father-in-law has a got a whole lamb (and a mean a whole one - even the head) in the garage ready for a spit-roast tomorrow.

I'd suggest that for the UK £200 is closer, but perhaps more like £170 at Halal outlets. Both quick Google search results.

If you go to organic retail, it may well not be the lamb that is the spit roast.

The Blackface Meat Company believes passionately in the link between a healthy landscape and the highest quality meat. The two are so closely bound that the flavour of our products is of the land itself, the heather and the berries, the wild grasses and fresh waters of the burns found in the most beautiful, unspoilt regions of Britain.

We are a small family business based in the South West of Scotland. We supply a wide range of high quality, oven-ready game from selected estates and we also source finest quality Outdoor Reared Pork, Blackface Lamb and Mutton, Salt Marsh Lamb and Mutton, Native Scotch Beef, and Free Range Bronze Turkeys.. This is the heritage lamb, mutton, game and beef enjoyed by our ancestors, now available all over the UK via our efficient home delivery service. We also source wild boar and goat, although may not always have stock.

Recommended! Check their website, folks! One of the few places you can still buy mutton.
  • Options
    If Iran is stupid enough to attack Israel then I hope Iran faces the same fate as Hamas.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Can I just ask about my fish recipes?

Alternative: soften some onion, add passata tomato, olives and capers, bring to simmer, and throw in scampi sized chunks of monkfish tail and simmer gently till fish is done. Serve with rice.

• Options
    Donkeys said:

Protect and Survive: British government information from 1975:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP5k5IWsDjA

Remember - obey instructions at all times.

Practice yoga every day, so that when the time comes, you can kiss your arse goodbye.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,444
    Lets be brutally honest about things - Iran is the driver behind the current mess in Gaza. The question is what Israel will now do if these drones are armed and do damage.

@Leon - how long between Iran launches drones at Tel Aviv and Putin launching a counterforce strike against NATO? You are usually the chap with the maximum panic, and you're back in London. Are you going to flee sir?
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

"plant-based crap"

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Recommended! Check their website, folks! One of the few places you can still buy mutton.

We use a Tweeddale equivalent - complete with hoggett and mutton.
  • Options
    Donkeys said:

Al Jazeera is reporting the Iranian UAVs now, although for the time being they're citing...Israeli media (!) and Shitter.

On the closure of Jordanian airspace, they say this: "The Chairman of the Board of Commissioners for the (Jordanian Civil Aviation Regulatory Authority), Haitham Misto, said that air traffic in Jordan was affected as a result of interference in the GPS system, which prompted aircraft to use alternative systems."

Sky news reporting it too

https://x.com/skynews/status/1779242072421114056?s=61
  • Options
    I mean. I accept it's World War 44, but I'd just like to nail beurre blanc and also these inventive kedgerees, in the last 2 days we have to live
  • Options

If Iran is stupid enough to attack Israel then I hope Iran faces the same fate as Hamas.

You really are a heartless fool. There was an inevitability in this reaction when Bibi bombed the Iranian Embassy. Bibi knew what he was doing. If it brings the US directly into the conflict that is mission accomplished.

Please keep your X million dead and they all deserve it narrative to yourself.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928

Leon said:

Leon said:

Indeed.

My local Asda typically stocks plenty of vegan food in the reduced to clear fridge as the ultraprocessed shite has been unsold and is now use by today.
    All of the food in the fruit and veg aisles is vegan, as is a lot of the tinned food, dried food (pasta, rice, pulses), dips, sauces, oils, vinegars, condiments, spices...

However the vegan imitations of dairy products and meat are generally ultra-processed abominations and should be avoided at all costs imo.
  • Options
    If we're talking about food, can I just say I've just discovered the joy of air fried roast beef.

I don't know why I never thought of it sooner, but I put a joint into my air fryer, that said on packaging 2h 20 to cook, I put it in for 40 minutes in the air fryer and it came out absolutely gorgeous and presumably much cheaper too. Highly recommend.
  • Options
    If it's just Iranian drones then this is fuck all. Israel can easily Protect and Survive. If Iran and her proxies launch ballistic missiles, then I reckon that is a much bigger regional war, which could evolve very fast and potentially WW3

Also I am unsure about beurre blanc as an interesting challenge in the kitchen, I like it but it always seems disappointingly easy
  • Options
    Leon said:

I mean. I accept it's World War 44, but I'd just like to nail beurre blanc and also these inventive kedgerees, in the last 2 days we have to live

Well, if this is the end of civilisation, I can be content that I have lost 20.7kg this year and am celebrating with a box of BrewDog and a fancy piece.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,106
    GIN1138 said:

June/July is the emergency option.

November or December is my bet, and I do think Sunak wants at least 2 years in the job.

He will want a legacy of sorts as well.

He's going to get a "legacy" all right - The man who took the Tories down to an even worse defeat than John Major... 😂
    He's crap, but that outcome may be a little bit unfair on him. But that will be for historians in 50 years to worry about.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928
    edited April 13
    Carnyx said:

ohnotnow said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

"plant-based crap"

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

We use a Tweeddale equivalent - complete with hoggett and mutton.
    You can buy mutton in our local Indian takeaway - dressed up as lamb rogan josh.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Indeed.

All of the food in the fruit and veg aisles is vegan, as is a lot of the tinned food, dried food (pasta, rice, pulses), dips, sauces, oils, vinegars, condiments, spices...

However the vegan imitations of dairy products and meat are generally ultra-processed abominations and should be avoided at all costs imo.
    Indeed, I agree with that and was half-joking.

As I'm on a carnivore diet I don't personally eat and fruit and veg, but I do get some whenever I go shopping for my wife and kids who aren't on the diet with me. Wouldn't touch the ultraprocessed shite and I'm not sure its the thing that seems to be most regularly 'reduced to clear'.
  • Options

Sky correspondent from Jerusalem

Exrrtraordinarily dangerous moment in the middle east

That is a telling comment, given it's general danger levels.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,675

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Ideas welcome. Gratitude

A Moroccan fish tagine is certainly worth trying.

I did once do a bizarre recipe from a Moroccan book of fish encrusted in a sugar and almond crust. Which actually kind of worked. There are plenty of almond crust fish recipes, but not many that are deliberately sweet. There is a historical story behind that recipe, but I can’t remember what it is.
    Ta, I shall investigate. Tho I generally DO find tagines a bit sweet
    I like smothering a piece of pan-fried salmon in home made beurre-blanc. For anyone uninitiated, it's a sauce made with white wine, white wine vinegar, onions and blocks and blocks of butter, whisked into the vinegar reduction to make an emulsion. Serve with boiled new potatoes and a green veg like kale or asparagus.
    You packing new season asparagus with that?

I have heard that it’s here. Not had any yet.

Bloody lovely.
    I haven't done it this year.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,596
    MattW said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Ideas welcome. Gratitude

This is the fish pie recipe I batch cook, but I use frozen ready-to-use mashed potato from the supermarket.

I'd also put mustard and/or tartare or horseradish sauce in it.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/family-meals-easy-fish-pie-recipe

I've enjoyed the ideas that others have put forward. Now for supper.
    I had no idea there was a product called 'Fish Pie Mix". A packet of three or four fish ready for the pie.

I shall hasten to try this before the balloon goes up.
  • Options
    Donkeys said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Vegan, even.
    Bringing back mammoths has been a story for several decades. Another is that they'll get speech from past centuries from the information contained in mortar between bricks.
    Suddenly realised why this is such a perennial. They'd be a huge supermarket hit with the Palaeolithic manly meat diet types, all those synthetic mammoth steaks 115cm wide, sorry half a span across.
  • Options
    edited April 13
    Leon said:

If it's just Iranian drones then this is fuck all. Israel can easily Protect and Survive. If Iran and her proxies launch ballistic missiles, then I reckon that is a much bigger regional war, which could evolve very fast and potentially WW3

Israel could have survived without attacking the Iranian embassy too, and without attacking Gaza. And without smashing the Oslo agreement by going on the attack again in the West Bank. Etc. Etc.

• Options

Leon said:

Well, if this is the end of civilisation, I can be content that I have lost 20.7kg this year and am celebrating with a box of BrewDog and a fancy piece.
    That's utterly fantastic, well done!

What kind of diet/exercise are you doing?

I'm down 40lbs now, so nearly as much. Not started exercising yet but thinking of taking up running, would like to do a half-marathon in memory of my grandfather.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,248
    Leon said:

Also I am unsure about beurre blanc as an interesting challenge in the kitchen, I like it but it always seems disappointingly easy

Another land based Oct style attack by proxies also feels possible
  • Options

Leon said:

I've lost 18kg, but as a teetotaller I've been saving up my time to get totally drunk not for celebration but explicitly for the breakout of WW3.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,596
    Reuters:

CAIRO, April 13 (Reuters) - A number of drones were seen flying from the direction of Iran over Iraq's Sulaymaniya province, three security sources told Reuters on Saturday.

"Dozens of drones were spotted flying from Iran in the direction of Israel over Iraqi airspace," two Iraqi security sources also told Reuters.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    edited April 13

Leon said:

Leon said:

Indeed.

….
  • Options
    Sky

Iranian drones expected to hit Israel at midnight
  • Options

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

yes

Maybe this was not the night I should have watched that Civil War movie. Though it was about Texas and California in a secessionist alliance.

Actually pretty decent film.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,822
    edited April 13
    murali_s said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Indeed.

You are wasting your time with Bart. One rule for Israel, one rule for everyone else. Remember Israel is a country that doesn’t give a shit about international law.
    Israel does give a shit about international law, which is why its fighting this war with arm tied behind its back being proportionate. Which I respect and applaud, long may they continue to do that.

Though not sure what that has to do with the food discussion we were having? Israel wasn't even part of the conversation.
  • Options

Leon said:

Likewise, I have lost 2 stone, Bit of a waste if the world ends now

But my guess is this is not the end of the world. If Iran launches unbranded ballistic missiles at Israel, then that will mean probably at least one nuke from Israel as a deterrent, on, say Qom. Then you have virtually WW3

My guess is the Iranians won't do this. They are subject to the same rules of deterrence. I suspect Iran will content itself with enough drones and lower grade missiles taking out a few hundred Israelis (and perhaps one big military target). Deterrence achieved, with perhaps more pressure from DC on Jerusalem to End the Fucking War

Is my guess
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,203
    Two questions.

1. Will US assets sitting over Iraq right now seek to intercept some of the kit that the Iranians are firing

2 will the Israelis aim to shoot down some of the Iranian weaponry at range over whatd you'd assume is Jordanian territory

3. Will Israel choose to launch it's own attacks now on Iranian assets closer to home, because it could
  • Options
    edited April 13
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

I've lost 18kg, but as a teetotaller I've been saving up my time to get totally drunk not for celebration but explicitly for the breakout of WW3.
    That's exactly how I intend to mark its onset! At the moment I've pencilled in tomorrow evening.
  • Options

If we're talking about food, can I just say I've just discovered the joy of air fried roast beef.

I don't know why I never thought of it sooner, but I put a joint into my air fryer, that said on packaging 2h 20 to cook, I put it in for 40 minutes in the air fryer and it came out absolutely gorgeous and presumably much cheaper too. Highly recommend.

We only use air fryers now and have 2 of them
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,675
    Leon said:

It's the timing I sometimes find tricky. I've ended up with a jug of melted butter more than once.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

Yes, good point. Surely Hezbollah will go in
  • Options

Leon said:

That's utterly fantastic, well done!

What kind of diet/exercise are you doing?

I'm down 40lbs now, so nearly as much. Not started exercising yet but thinking of taking up running, would like to do a half-marathon in memory of my grandfather.
    My food consumption was a mess. The "diet" is thinking about what I am eating - largely cutting out refined sugars and processed junk.

I have a day off now and then - usually out with friends. Will put c. 2kg back on. Then drop weight faster as soon as I go back to sensible eating. Target is to drop another 10kg or so, but tbh had no idea this was doable so what the hell. Feel soooooo much better having dropped the flab.
  • Options

Lets be brutally honest about things - Iran is the driver behind the current mess in Gaza. The question is what Israel will now do if these drones are armed and do damage.

@Leon - how long between Iran launches drones at Tel Aviv and Putin launching a counterforce strike against NATO? You are usually the chap with the maximum panic, and you're back in London. Are you going to flee sir?

It's Saturday service, so he's already missed the last train of the day to his bolt hole in Penarth. Unless he can hang on in the smoke until half passed six, he's f*****!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Mega!!!!
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,203
    It appears that RAF fighter aircraft are up over the Eastern Med
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,050

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

yes

At least there'll be fewer vegans around after the apocalypse.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,103
    So Israel wipes out the Iranian consulate in Damascus with zero criticism from the west . This action designed to garner a response from Iran .

Netenyahu clearly worried about the fracturing of the US relationship because of Gaza decides the best way to keep them onside is to try and manufacture turmoil in the Middle East .

Why aren’t the media highlighting this.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Likewise, I have lost 2 stone, Bit of a waste if the world ends now

But my guess is this is not the end of the world. If Iran launches unbranded ballistic missiles at Israel, then that will mean probably at least one nuke from Israel as a deterrent, on, say Qom. Then you have virtually WW3

My guess is the Iranians won't do this. They are subject to the same rules of deterrence. I suspect Iran will content itself with enough drones and lower grade missiles taking out a few hundred Israelis (and perhaps one big military target). Deterrence achieved, with perhaps more pressure from DC on Jerusalem to End the Fucking War

Is my guess
    I suspect you are right.

Every year I don’t drink for the first few months but given the world situation I thought ‘fuck it’ and I’ve drunk and eaten and not given a shit. Weight not gone up or down. Probably need to detox now.
  • Options
    edited April 13
    Yokes said:

It appears that RAF fighter aircraft are up over the Eastern Med

So another Downing Street lecturn event tomorrow whatever the outcome.
  • Options
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Yes, good point. Surely Hezbollah will go in
    Hamas = Iran
    Hezbollah = Iran

Where do you think their weapons came from?
  • Options
    nico679 said:

So Israel wipes out the Iranian consulate in Damascus with zero criticism from the west . This action designed to garner a response from Iran .

Netenyahu clearly worried about the fracturing of the US relationship because of Gaza decides the best way to keep them onside is to try and manufacture turmoil in the Middle East .

Because Iran is behind most of the violence in the Middle East, including supporting what happened in October.

If Iran was wiped out, there'd be much more chance of peace for the Palestinians.

I'd fully support seeking regime change in Iran. They're a much bigger threat than Saddam ever was.
  • Options

nico679 said:

Because Iran is behind most of the violence in the Middle East, including supporting what happened in October.

If Iran was wiped out, there'd be much more chance of peace for the Palestinians.

I'd fully support seeking regime change in Iran. They're a much bigger threat than Saddam ever was.
    Please stop with your "if Iran was wiped out" shite.
This discussion has been closed.