Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Not another December election? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,775
    edited April 13

nico679 said:

So Israel wipes out the Iranian consulate in Damascus with zero criticism from the west . This action designed to garner a response from Iran .

Netenyahu clearly worried about the fracturing of the US relationship because of Gaza decides the best way to keep them onside is to try and manufacture turmoil in the Middle East .

Why aren’t the media highlighting this.

Because Iran is behind most of the violence in the Middle East, including supporting what happened in October.

If Iran was wiped out, there'd be much more chance of peace for the Palestinians.

I'd fully support seeking regime change in Iran. They're a much bigger threat than Saddam ever was.
    Please stop with your "if Iran was wiped out" shite.
    If the Iranian regime were wiped out is what I mean, like we destroyed Saddam, not every Iranian individual who of course suffers under their theocratic dictatorship.

I apologise if my language were unclear. Though I thought it was clear from the "regime change" comment.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,014
    edited April 13
    Scott_xP said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

But then again, when we got back this morning I cooked myself some nice bacon.

A local butcher sells centre cut bacon. Where has it been all my life?
    Is that the old ‘middle cut bacon’ used to get years back.
    yes
    Ayrshire middle used to be widely available. Now it seems to be a niche product.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,352

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

If it's just Iranian drones then this is fuck all. Israel can easily Protect and Survive. If Iran and her proxies launch ballistic missiles, then I reckon that is a much bigger regional war, which could evolve very fast and potentially WW3

Also I am unsure about beurre blanc as an interesting challenge in the kitchen, I like it but it always seems disappointingly easy

Another land based Oct style attack by proxies also feels possible
    Yes, good point. Surely Hezbollah will go in
    Hamas = Iran
    Hezbollah = Iran

Where do you think their weapons came from?
    And Russian drones

It is all very scary
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377

Reuters:

CAIRO, April 13 (Reuters) - A number of drones were seen flying from the direction of Iran over Iraq's Sulaymaniya province, three security sources told Reuters on Saturday.

"Dozens of drones were spotted flying from Iran in the direction of Israel over Iraqi airspace," two Iraqi security sources also told Reuters.

"He will make an excellent drone!"
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,280

nico679 said:

So Israel wipes out the Iranian consulate in Damascus with zero criticism from the west . This action designed to garner a response from Iran .

Netenyahu clearly worried about the fracturing of the US relationship because of Gaza decides the best way to keep them onside is to try and manufacture turmoil in the Middle East .

Because Iran is behind most of the violence in the Middle East, including supporting what happened in October.

If Iran was wiped out, there'd be much more chance of peace for the Palestinians.

I'd fully support seeking regime change in Iran. They're a much bigger threat than Saddam ever was.
    If the Iranian regime were wiped out is what I mean, like we destroyed Saddam, not every Iranian individual who of course suffers under their theocratic dictatorship.

I apologise if my language were unclear. Though I thought it was clear from the "regime change" comment.
    And getting rid of Saddam was such a glowing success too.

Truly a template to follow.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

yes
    Used to love that. The best of back and streaky bacon.

Wallington Hall farm shop,used to sell it a few years back but stopped.
    Bibi's about to flatten Tehran and declare WW3 open and PB is focused on...cuts of bacon.
    At least there'll be fewer vegans around after the apocalypse.
    Fewer flesh-eaters too?
  • Options
    edited April 13

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

If it's just Iranian drones then this is fuck all. Israel can easily Protect and Survive. If Iran and her proxies launch ballistic missiles, then I reckon that is a much bigger regional war, which could evolve very fast and potentially WW3

Also I am unsure about beurre blanc as an interesting challenge in the kitchen, I like it but it always seems disappointingly easy

Hamas = Iran
    Hezbollah = Iran

And Russian drones

It is all very scary
    Why?

As a last resort I'd welcome a war with Iran. They've been causing violence non-stop for decades, neutering that and seeking regime change would be difficult but I expect the regime would collapse within a few month like Saddam did. Good riddance then, and maybe the flow of weapons to Russia/Hamas/Hezbollah etc will be staunched and a real peace in the Middle East might be more plausible.

Its worth noting almost all Arab nations despise Iran too for what its doing.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I mean. I accept it's World War 44, but I'd just like to nail beurre blanc and also these inventive kedgerees, in the last 2 days we have to live

Well, if this is the end of civilisation, I can be content that I have lost 20.7kg this year and am celebrating with a box of BrewDog and a fancy piece.
    Likewise, I have lost 2 stone, Bit of a waste if the world ends now

But my guess is this is not the end of the world. If Iran launches unbranded ballistic missiles at Israel, then that will mean probably at least one nuke from Israel as a deterrent, on, say Qom. Then you have virtually WW3

My guess is the Iranians won't do this. They are subject to the same rules of deterrence. I suspect Iran will content itself with enough drones and lower grade missiles taking out a few hundred Israelis (and perhaps one big military target). Deterrence achieved, with perhaps more pressure from DC on Jerusalem to End the Fucking War

Is my guess
    BRACE!
  • Options
    Leon said:

I mean. I accept it's World War 44, but I'd just like to nail beurre blanc and also these inventive kedgerees, in the last 2 days we have to live

Quite right. Armageddon won’t seem as bad after a good meal. Imagine if your last meal before global extinction was a Tesco nut cutlet!
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

yes
    Ayrshire middle used to be widely available. Now it seems to be a niche product.
    That’s what Wallington Hall used to call their middle bacon.
  • Options

nico679 said:

We are not on the same page too often but on this I agree and it is time to seek cooler heads

There shouldn't be point scoring

Biden has some big calls to make
  • Options
    Taz said:

nico679 said:

And getting rid of Saddam was such a glowing success too.

Truly a template to follow.
    Well he's gone isn't he?

The Iranian Mullahs being gone would make the world a better place.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,429
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Well, if this is the end of civilisation, I can be content that I have lost 20.7kg this year and am celebrating with a box of BrewDog and a fancy piece.

But my guess is this is not the end of the world. If Iran launches unbranded ballistic missiles at Israel, then that will mean probably at least one nuke from Israel as a deterrent, on, say Qom. Then you have virtually WW3

My guess is the Iranians won't do this. They are subject to the same rules of deterrence. I suspect Iran will content itself with enough drones and lower grade missiles taking out a few hundred Israelis (and perhaps one big military target). Deterrence achieved, with perhaps more pressure from DC on Jerusalem to End the Fucking War

Is my guess
    I suspect you are right.

Every year I don’t drink for the first few months but given the world situation I thought ‘fuck it’ and I’ve drunk and eaten and not given a shit. Weight not gone up or down. Probably need to detox now.
    Quite so

Also, why the fuck is the rest of the world about to die because these age old enemies can't fucking get over themselve? Why should we all be so constantly on the edge of apocalypse because 20 million Jews with their 349 Nobel Prizes and 1.2bn Muslims with their < checks notes > falafal recipes - simply can't overcome their ridiculous differences?

NO ONE ELSE CARES. SHUT UP. STOP TRYING TO KILL US ALL

Message Ends
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,758
    edited April 13

If we're talking about food, can I just say I've just discovered the joy of air fried roast beef.

I don't know why I never thought of it sooner, but I put a joint into my air fryer, that said on packaging 2h 20 to cook, I put it in for 40 minutes in the air fryer and it came out absolutely gorgeous and presumably much cheaper too. Highly recommend.

I want to understand the physics of this.

All you have to do to get perfect roast beef is to heat the core of the joint to 55°C (for rare).
    The quicker you do that the harder it is to hit the right temperature because the hot outside will keep increasing the core temperature once the joint comes out of the oven to rest, so you might have to take it out when the core is only say 42°C.

Cooking the beef on a very low oven (say 60°) for a long time almost guarantees it will be perfect on the inside but you don't get the caramelised crust which adds flavour, unless you sear it or give it an initial burst in a very hot oven. (I've used two ovens in the past - one at 240°C for 10 mins and then into a 60°C oven for 3-4 hours.)

Anyway, I'm sure the air fryer can be made to work and work quickly (it's just a hot fan oven after all) but the timing will be critical unless you want a grey, dry joint.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,953
    Netenyahu is willing for the whole Middle East to go up in smoke if it means he can stay in power .

Why is the west being dragged into another disaster ?
  • Options

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Hamas = Iran
    Hezbollah = Iran

And Russian drones

It is all very scary
    Why?

As a last resort I'd welcome a war with Iran. They've been causing violence non-stop for decades, neutering that and seeking regime change would be difficult but I expect the regime would collapse within a few month like Saddam did. Good riddance then, and maybe the flow of weapons to Russia/Hamas/Hezbollah etc will be staunched and a real peace in the Middle East might be more plausible.

Sorry but welcoming war with Iran is idiotic

I have 5 Grandchildren
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509

nico679 said:

Because Iran is behind most of the violence in the Middle East [citation needed], including supporting what happened in October. [citation needed]

If Iran was wiped out, there'd be much more chance of peace for the Palestinians. [citation needed]

I'm not sure advertising the 'wiping out' of Iran as being more justified than regime change in Iraq is the best advert for it. That was a disaster. I don't even want to ask you what you see as replacing the Ayatollahs, presumably just 'wiping them out' is going to leave the region in great shape, as every other Middle Eastern regime change has.

• Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 589
    edited April 13
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Yesterday Hezbollah launched one of their largest assaults since the start of the war. Dozens of Katyushas. Today Israeli jets struck several Hezbollah targets.

Israeli "settlers" on the West Bank have also upped their rampaging.

Edit: it's total bollocks to say Hamas = Iran. They're not even friendly enough to have a NATO-style Article 5.

Edit 2: what's Mahmoud Abbas been doing, and why's his tongue brown?
  • Options

Thank God it is Biden now meeting in the Situation Room and not Trump 2.0

Thanks god it’s one incompetent and not the the other.

Neither fill me with confidence.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Netenyahu is willing for the whole Middle East to go up in smoke if it means he can stay in power .

A price worth paying to his fluffers on this site.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ohnotnow said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is quite something. Guy's first reaction to the Sydney killings is to feed it into his.... anti-bike-lane narrative

"The police and ambulance staging outside Westfield Bondi Junction would have been severely impacted by bike lanes which had been proposed for the area. The Eastern Suburbs is a heavily congested area which impacts ambo arrival and transport. This will be a first responder case study for years."

https://x.com/VoteLewko/status/1779048501395263845

Hypothetical bike lanes are evil and the lady policeman lost her hat.
    What gets me about the whole Ukraine situation is that there's no provision for vegans

Like, OK, 300,000 are dead and Russia has laid waste to most of east Ukraine and it will possibly turn into World War Three but surely there could be at least one pop-up falafel stall? Is that so hard? Or a tofu buffet in a tent?
    Outside of London, Brighton and its colonies Veganism is non-existent in most parts of Europe.

In fact, it would be considered deeply weird.
    Vegan food can be found in every supermarket in Britain and Ireland, possibly Europe.

It's possible that this is because a few Vegan activists have captured the decision-making of Europe's supermarkets, and at some point they will stop throwing money (and unsold vegan food) away, but I think it shows that there is a niche there, and there are actually a few vegans, sprinkled around the place.

Are you sure your neighbour isn't a vegan?
    The fact that almost all supermarkets might have a (tiny) section of plant-based crap around the nation doesn't disprove the point.

Veganism is a tiny percentage (2-3% of the population, at best) and that cultural and social phenomenon is heavily concentrated in London and Brighton and a few other Met colonies, which manage to spin off and sustain a few restaurants and so forth.

Elsewhere it's negligible but of course supermarkets cater to all tastes, just as they sell all sorts of niche ingredients and foods to others who exist in even fewer numbers.
    "plant-based crap"
    How do you know it's 'crap' if you don't eat it?

"Elsewhere it's negligible"
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
    Ha ha ha ha-ha-ha-ha ha ha ha
    I'm in Bulgaria right now, you dipstick. Doesn't exist.

Even by virtue of that wanker map you linked to.
    Are they still doing the 0.5/1kg options for how much meat, even in the posher Sofia places?
    Dunno, but my father-in-law has a got a whole lamb (and a mean a whole one - even the head) in the garage ready for a spit-roast tomorrow.

In the UK it'd probably cost, like, £300 but it's not much here.
    That's Eid, though. And for Muslims it is a huge tradition.

I'd suggest that for the UK £200 is closer, but perhaps more like £170 at Halal outlets. Both quick Google search results.

If you go to organic retail, it may well not be the lamb that is the spit roast.
    I'm waiting for payday to do a bit of a freezer-restock from these folk :

https://www.blackface.co.uk/

The Blackface Meat Company believes passionately in the link between a healthy landscape and the highest quality meat. The two are so closely bound that the flavour of our products is of the land itself, the heather and the berries, the wild grasses and fresh waters of the burns found in the most beautiful, unspoilt regions of Britain.

We are a small family business based in the South West of Scotland. We supply a wide range of high quality, oven-ready game from selected estates and we also source finest quality Outdoor Reared Pork, Blackface Lamb and Mutton, Salt Marsh Lamb and Mutton, Native Scotch Beef, and Free Range Bronze Turkeys.. This is the heritage lamb, mutton, game and beef enjoyed by our ancestors, now available all over the UK via our efficient home delivery service. We also source wild boar and goat, although may not always have stock.

Recommended! Check their website, folks! One of the few places you can still buy mutton.
    We use a Tweeddale equivalent - complete with hoggett and mutton.

Ah, hogget!
  • Options

If we're talking about food, can I just say I've just discovered the joy of air fried roast beef.

I don't know why I never thought of it sooner, but I put a joint into my air fryer, that said on packaging 2h 20 to cook, I put it in for 40 minutes in the air fryer and it came out absolutely gorgeous and presumably much cheaper too. Highly recommend.

All you have to do to get perfect roast beef is to heat the core of the joint to 55°C (for rare).
    The quicker you do that the harder it is to hit the right temperature because the (hot) outside will keep increasing the core temperature once the joint comes out of the oven to rest, so you might have to take it out when the core is only say 42°C.

Cooking the beef on a very low oven (say 60°) for a long time almost guarantees it will be perfect on the inside but you don't get the caramelised crust which adds flavour, unless you sear it or give it an initial burst in a very hot oven. (I've used two ovens in the past - one at 240°C for 10 mins and then into a 60°C oven for 3-4 hours.)

Anyway, I'm sure the air fryer can be made to work and work quickly (it's just a hot fan oven after all) but the timing will be critical unless you want a grey, dry joint.
    The only bacteria you need to kill is in the outside of the joint, not the inside.

The core doesn't need to reach any temperature. You can safely eat the inside raw/blue. See blue steaks, ceviche etc

I cooked mine at 185C for 45 minutes and the outside was crispy while the inside was lovely and pink.
  • Options

Vegan food? I spent the best part of a decade selling plant based food. Huge improvements in choice and quality in that time. Reality is that most people eating vegan food are not vegan.

Meat reduction is fine. If that's what people want to do, let them. I whore myself for a global meat company these days, so sod vegan...

There is an definite issue with the competing issues of processed/ultra processed food, and much of the plant based products available in supermarkets.
    I know someone who is vegan whose diet seems to consist almost entirely of ultra processed shite.

And then throws a wobbler if his chips have been in the same oil as a battered fish.
    You have hit on something there.

Can someone please invent a diet which consists of decent, well-reared food?

Can we call it Realatarian?

Weston A Price diet.
  • Options
    edited April 13

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Hamas = Iran
    Hezbollah = Iran

And Russian drones

It is all very scary
    Why?

Sorry but welcoming war with Iran is idiotic

I have 5 Grandchildren
    Warmongers gonna warmonger.
  • Options

The quicker you do that the harder it is to hit the right temperature because the hot outside will keep increasing the core temperature once the joint comes out of the oven to rest, so you might have to take it out when the core is only say 42°C.

2 important points with air fryers is light spray of oil (meat and chips) and always temperature prick test everything you are cooking
  • Options

Leon said:

A fancy piece? You’ve been in the Broch too long!
  • Options
    edited April 13
    I wonder how many drones the IDF will allow in ?
  • Options

nico679 said:

Because Iran is behind most of the violence in the Middle East [citation needed], including supporting what happened in October. [citation needed]

If Iran was wiped out, there'd be much more chance of peace for the Palestinians. [citation needed]

I'm not sure advertising the 'wiping out' of Iran as being more justified than regime change in Iraq is the best advert for it. That was a disaster. I don't even want to ask you what you see as replacing the Ayatollahs, presumably just 'wiping them out' is going to leave the region in great shape, as every other Middle Eastern regime change has.

I'm possibly one of the few people left who is glad we got rid of Saddam. He was a monster and the world's a better place without him or his regime.

Doing the same to Iran will make the world a better place too.

I couldn't care less what replaces the Ayatollahs. I won't expect it to be nice, but the status quo isn't nice either, and if it gets as violent as the Mullahs then we could always rinse and repeat again in the future.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Not sure how the west can stand by unless you have a better solution

However wiping out Iran is the worst of worlds even if it was possible
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,361

Can someone explain to me the RUBBISH Sky coverage of The Masters? Please?

Why are we hearing chat from Nick Faldo and Laura Davies on the patio, when there are guys out on the course?

This isn't new, I am not much of a golf aficionado but even I know the Augusta Golf Club limit the number of live hours broadcasters can show.
    Golf. Sport for BMW drivers.
    Indeed, fortunately I am a Merc driver these days, the best of the best.
    Until it breaks down.
  • Options
    edited April 13

We use a Tweeddale equivalent - complete with hoggett and mutton.

Ah, hogget!

Tweed Mubarak!
  • Options
    edited April 13

nico679 said:

How is it any worse than letting Iran continue to cause violence with Hamas, Hezbollah and Russia etc.

All while oppressing its people and their "police" beating to death any woman who doesn't wear a headscarf.

Its not like Iran is peaceful.
  • Options
    Please God no I couldn’t take a Sunak lectern moment .
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

I've lost 18kg, but as a teetotaller I've been saving up my time to get totally drunk not for celebration but explicitly for the breakout of WW3.
    I have a bottle of Fyne Ales 40th anniversary ale and a limited edition bottle of Glen Garioch. I hope I have time to drink them. A 4 minute warning seems a bit tight.
  • Options
    edited April 13

The quicker you do that the harder it is to hit the right temperature because the (hot) outside will keep increasing the core temperature once the joint comes out of the oven to rest, so you might have to take it out when the core is only say 42°C.

The only bacteria you need to kill is in the outside of the joint, not the inside.

The core doesn't need to reach any temperature. You can safely eat the inside raw/blue. See blue steaks, ceviche etc

I cooked mine at 185C for 45 minutes and the outside was crispy while the inside was lovely and pink.
    You misunderstand me: in my opinion 55°C core temperature gives perfect roast beef; I am not saying that you have to cook it thus, although if you like you roast beef raw, why put it in an oven at all? I didn't mention bacteria as it's not an issue.

Regarding your experience, the missing parameter is how large the joint was.
  • Options
    Disclose TV

"Iran now launches missiles against Israel"

Not just drones - missiles. This could be it! Kiss your loved ones

Personally, I'm going for kedgeree, tomorrow, Or maybe roast sea bass
  • Options

nico679 said:

I'm possibly one of the few people left who is glad we got rid of Saddam. He was a monster and the world's a better place without him or his regime.

Doing the same to Iran will make the world a better place too.

I couldn't care less what replaces the Ayatollahs. I won't expect it to be nice, but the status quo isn't nice either, and if it gets as violent as the Mullahs then we could always rinse and repeat again in the future.
    Every time I think it can't get any more fatuous, somehow it does.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

nico679 said:

Indeed. Netenyahu is a bloodthirsty crazed madman. Why cant the West see that? The rest of the world can…
    As a matter of interest what is your solution
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

There were passengers on the Titanic who passed up a second helping of dessert.

• Options

nico679 said:

How is it any worse than letting Iran continue to cause violence with Hamas, Hezbollah and Russia etc.

All while oppressing its people and their "police" beating to death any woman who doesn't wear a headscarf.

Everyone hates the Iranian government but regime change hasn’t got a great track record in that region .
  • Options
    Donkeys said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

I've lost 18kg, but as a teetotaller I've been saving up my time to get totally drunk not for celebration but explicitly for the breakout of WW3.
    That's exactly how I intend to mark its onset! At the moment I've pencilled in tomorrow evening.
    In a rerun of “On the beach”, we have booked a trip on the West Highland Railway” for tomorrow. Mallaig beach may be cooler than Australia, though.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,831
    How serious is the Iran/Israel situation?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,974
    Leon said:

Disclose TV

Fuck it, you may as well do loads of Foie Gras and a couple of ortolans.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954
    nico679 said:

He was probably among the worst possible people to be running the country when October 7th happened.

Or maybe not, there are presumably even more corrupt and extreme people in the Knesset.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,291
    Donkeys said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Yesterday Hezbollah launched one of their largest assaults since the start of the war. Dozens of Katyushas. Today Israeli jets struck several Hezbollah targets.

Edit: it's total bollocks to say Hamas = Iran. They're not even friendly enough to have a NATO-style Article 5.

Hamas = Iran. Armed by Iran. Supported by Iran because Iran arms and supports anyone who threatens Israel.

Bollocks? I don't think so.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Very
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Omg that’s so funny ! I’m off to have a Pot Noodle and a bag of cashew nuts !
  • Options

nico679 said:

We could simply nuke the whole area, in alliance with Russia and China.

I mean the USA, the UK, France, China and Russia could simultaneously turn to glass the entire Middle East. And that is well within our powers. I would personally prefer this terrible thing to the end of humanity as a whole. And it would bring this absurd tragedy to an end. OK about 20% of the earth's surface would thereafter be uninhabitable, but it's probably a win for Homo sapiens as a whole, in comparison to oblivion for us all

ENOUGH
  • Options
    Leon said:

Disclose TV

You eating them? Or you enjoying a thermonuclear suntan and being transformed into them?
  • Options
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Everyone hates the Iranian government but regime change hasn’t got a great track record in that region .
    I believe it worked in Iraq.

The current Iraqi regime is better than its predecessor. Both for its people and for its neighbours. And a million miles better than the rest of what George W Bush aptly called "the axis of evil". Russia has rather taken Iraq's place in that axis instead.

Which is not to say its perfect by any means, its far from it. But its better.

If Iran is better afterwards but not perfect and not causing violence anymore then I'd be happy with that, wouldn't you?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

This may be the first time you've ever made me genuinely lol. But you did. And seeing as we are all about to die, Chapeau
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited April 13
    Haaretz - Iran launched cruise missiles at israel
  • Options
    Sky from America saying this is a huge moment for Biden, the US, and the next POTUS
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,458

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Hamas = Iran. Armed by Iran. Supported by Iran because Iran arms and supports anyone who threatens Israel.

Does Israel == America?
  • Options

Exactly; he’s only going to press the red button by accident, in a moment of confusion; not deliberately.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"I would like to have seen Montana!"
  • Options
    ping said:

That;s still not quite ballistic. This will go mental if it is ballistic missiles, because then Israel cannot be sure that one is not a nuke, and that means BOOM

Nonetheless, perilous
  • Options
    Leon said:

nico679 said:

We could simply nuke the whole area, in alliance with Russia and China.

I mean the USA, the UK, France, China and Russia could simultaneously turn to glass the entire Middle East. And that is well within our powers. I would personally prefer this terrible thing to the end of humanity as a whole. And it would bring this absurd tragedy to an end. OK about 20% of the earth's surface would thereafter be uninhabitable, but it's probably a win for Homo sapiens as a whole, in comparison to oblivion for us all

ENOUGH
    Probably considered to be a bit extreme, though a large chunk of that area is pretty uninhabitable without extensive human intervention anyway.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,203
    Cruise missiles are very shootable down.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,319
    Andy_JS said:

If Israel responds with nukes - which it may do if it regards the threat as existential - then we could be talking WW3.
  • Options

Leon said:

Quite right. Armageddon won’t seem as bad after a good meal. Imagine if your last meal before global extinction was a Tesco nut cutlet!
    You wanna cook something that creates a shedload of washing up.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,771
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

If there is one way to galvanise a country into supporting its leaders, no matter how vile, it is a war with an external enemy.

As every politician facing defenestration knows, democratic, despotic or both.
  • Options
    Apparently the barrage of drones and missiles are expected to enter Israeli airspace at midnight UK time .

I expect the vast majority to get shot down . I think I’ll wait upto then and decide what will be next on my comfort eating menu.

• Options

Andy_JS said:

If Israel responds with nukes - which it may do if it regards the threat as existential - then we could be talking WW3.
    That's good, in some predictions an all out nuke war would only last a very short time. In the Fallout universe it lasted about 2 hours.

Granted there were some lingering effects.
  • Options
    Leon said:

ping said:

That;s still not quite ballistic. This will go mental if it is ballistic missiles, because then Israel cannot be sure that one is not a nuke, and that means BOOM

Nonetheless, perilous
    You can get nuclear tipped cruise missiles.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

yes

Bibi's about to flatten Tehran and declare WW3 open and PB is focused on...cuts of bacon.
    Fewer flesh-eaters too?

I wouldn’t trust Trump not to support Iran if he thought there was something in it for himself.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

If there is one way to galvanise a country into supporting its leaders, no matter how vile, it is a war with an external enemy.

Only if you win.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,727
    So it’s the end of days this evening I see.

In related end of days news I finally found the cadaver of our fish that disappeared from its tank during our holiday. Or rather, my wife found it after returning home. She has more of an eye for detail than me. It had obviously jumped out then slithered off down the back of the chest the tank was on. Semi-dried and smelling like kippers.

Talking of fish the best fish dish is hake with béarnaise sauce and fries. Like steak, but with hake.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Apparently the barrage of drones and missiles are expected to enter Israeli airspace at midnight UK time .

I expect the vast majority to get shot down . I think I’ll wait upto then and decide what will be next on my comfort eating menu.

Let's us all hope you are right and the drones and missiles are taken out

I fear the consequences if they aren't
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

yes

Fewer flesh-eaters too?
    At least the meat will be ready cooked, while the survivors will be vegetables.
  • Options
    Iranian regime confirming according to BBC that they've launched drones and missiles.

Time for Netanyahu to take the gloves off and take the fight full on to Iran. They're behind everything else and with this they've surely crossed a line.

I said I'd support regime change if they did this, they've done it, so I support regime change now.
  • Options

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Does Israel == America?
    From a military perspective? Yes. Where do you think they got their arms / plutonium from?

Are you suggesting that Iranian arms shipments to Hamas and Hezbollah were accidental?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

That's good, in some predictions an all out nuke war would only last a very short time. In the Fallout universe it lasted about 2 hours.

Londoners, it’s been nice knowing you.
  • Options
    TimS said:

In related end of days news I finally found the cadaver of our fish that disappeared from its tank during our holiday. Or rather, my wife found it after returning home. She has more of an eye for detail than me. It had obviously jumped out then slithered off down the back of the chest the tank was on. Semi-dried and smelling like kippers.

Talking of fish the best fish dish is hake with béarnaise sauce and fries. Like steak, but with hake.

Oooh. Recipe for the bearnaise with hake?
  • Options

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

The current Iraqi regime is better than its predecessor. Both for its people and for its neighbours. And a million miles better than the rest of what George W Bush aptly called "the axis of evil". Russia has rather taken Iraq's place in that axis instead.

If Iran is better afterwards but not perfect and not causing violence anymore then I'd be happy with that, wouldn't you?
    HOW IRAN WON THE U.S. WAR IN IRAQ
    https://theintercept.com/2023/03/17/iraq-war-iran-cables/
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

For anyone who wants their mind taken off WW3 the Titanic menus for it's last day are interesting:

https://titanicfacts.net/titanic-menu/

No vegan option AFAICS - no wonder the bloody thing sunk.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Last thing you want in an apocalypse is a whole bunch of washing up to do. Get some junk food delivery from Deliveroo while it still exists. You can braise rat anytime from now on.
  • Options

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Another argument for regime change in Iran?
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Cook the hake. Make a bearnaise sauce. Pour sauce over fish. Eat.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,291
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Only if you win.
    Indeed. Didn't work out too well for the last Tsar.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Last thing you want in an apocalypse is a whole bunch of washing up to do. Get some junk food delivery from Deliveroo while it still exists. You can braise rat anytime from now on.
    The idea was that the washing up can be left until the morning.
  • Options

nico679 said:

Iran’s missiles and drones are no match for Israel’s defences . I’m very suspicious though of the IDF given recent events so it depends on what Netenyahu decides is the best action to prolong his power .
  • Options
    edited April 13
    Sky

Israeli PM convenes a war cabinet while Sunak condemns Irans reckless attack

Israel tv says 100 drones and missiles launched
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,776
    edited April 13
    Drones already intercepted over Jordan and Syria (by Israel).
    https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1779253169396040124
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 589
    edited April 13
    In 1987 it was trouble between the US and Iran, and in particular the rumour that the US had invaded Iran, that triggered the great stockmarket crash - the biggest one-day fall in the DJIA since 1929.

Meanwhile, from the Tehran Times:

"Before the direct Iranian attack on Israeli targets, Hezbollah initiated a significant rocket barrage targeting the northern areas of occupied Palestine and the Golan Heights. A cyber attack also plunged vast areas of the occupied territories, including Tel Aviv, to into darkness."

https://www.tehrantimes.com/news/497075/Israel-getting-punished-with-Operation-Truthful-Promise
  • Options
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Iran’s missiles and drones are no match for Israel’s defences . I’m very suspicious though of the IDF given recent events so it depends on what Netenyahu decides is the best action to prolong his power .
    Hopefully he decides on regime change in Iran, but he probably won't as he's weak.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,291

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    45m
    Israel is an ally of the UK. Iran is an enemy of the UK. That’s it.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1779246384777957840
  • Options
    Breaking: Biden walked into the Oval Office and the pool was too far away to shout questions.

Going swimming at a time like this doesn’t seem very responsible.
  • Options

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

The west took out one of Iran’s greatest adversaries and the rest is history ,
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,727
    Leon said:

TimS said:

So simple almost not a recipe. Salt a hake fillet. Fry it very hot in butter but don’t overcook or it’ll go cottony. (Also works with monkfish). Put aside and grate loads of black pepper on it and pour over the pan butter.

Make or buy a béarnaise sauce. Making is easy enough, do a hollandaise with melted butter and an egg yolk, and blend in lots of tarragon, salt and (if you want though it’s not orthodox) garlic.

Serve with French fries or gratin dauphinoise, and red wine.

It’s man fish.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,974
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Londoners, it’s been nice knowing you.
    If it’s the end of the world my ex is going to be fuming. She had the perfect opportunity to run me over today and frankly I’m amazed she didn’t as she was so determined to appear not to be noticing or seeing me walking through the car park within a couple of feet from her car that she was driving towards me looking sideways.

I can picture her face when she sees the news tomorrow that it is WW3 and being so so angry with herself.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

The west took out one of Iran’s greatest adversaries and the rest is history ,
    So what you're saying is that we need to take Iran (the regime!) out now to restore balance?
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 1,999

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Another argument for regime change in Iran?
    It seems unlikely to me that Iran would risk all out war at this point. The Ayatollah by all accounts has been in poor health, so you think the regime would want to keep a lid on things prior to a likely change at the top.

The regime recently disqualified a lot of candidates from the election for the Assembly of Experts to ensure another hardliner succeeds Khamenei.
  • Options

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Does Israel == America?
    From a military perspective? Yes. Where do you think they got their arms / plutonium from?

Are you suggesting that Iranian arms shipments to Hamas and Hezbollah were accidental?
    You can be supported by a state but still act independently. Look at Israel they've certainly acted against America's interests over the years.

For sure Iran arms Hezbollah but I don't think you can say they are part of Iran.
  • Options

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Hopefully he decides on regime change in Iran, but he probably won't as he's weak.
    It depends on what’s best for Netenyahu, that’s all he cares about .
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Breaking: Biden walked into the Oval Office and the pool was too far away to shout questions.

Going swimming at a time like this doesn’t seem very responsible.

That Biden walked is a plus I guess.
  • Options

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    45m
    Israel is an ally of the UK. Iran is an enemy of the UK. That’s it.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1779246384777957840

Nope. Neither is our business any more.
This discussion has been closed.