Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Disgraced Tory MP Scott Benton does a Boris Johnson and quits – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Let’s take Brigitte Macron’s first marriage to “banker” Andre Louis Auzière

Only one photo of him seems to exist. The wedding photo. He apparently died as a recluse in 2019 - tho the death was not announced til 9 months later. No one is sure how he died?

No one was able to find him when he was still alive. And there’s lots more:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8816409/French-Lady-Brigitte-Macrons-husband-dies-recluse-aged-69.html

“He [ALAuziere] never spoke about the split from his wife, and there are no recent photographs of him whatsoever.

It is not known if if either Brigitte Macron or her husband attended his funeral, or how and where he died.

A presidential spokesman said there would be 'no comment on this subject because it is of a private nature.'”

Does that sound perfectly normal? No, it doesn’t

The Elysee is hiding something. I don’t believe they are hiding the fact Mme macron is a man but I believe the reason they can’t squash this insane theory like a bug is because that would need complete honesty and it might reveal something ELSE

Doubt the French will care. La Grand Passion is much respected.
    No, they do care

If you talk to the right sort of French person they gossip about this a lot

I have met two people that know these families from Amiens. One intimated to me that there is indeed a scandal, but wouldn’t say what, the other actually described her version of the scandal (or the shocking truth) but I won’t repeat it here because I don’t want to get banned - and nor do I want to get arrested in France
    Macron is the son?
    That would make a good film: Macron des Sources.
    When I was a child, we used to watch that film because it had boobs in it.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,926
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Only one photo of him seems to exist. The wedding photo. He apparently died as a recluse in 2019 - tho the death was not announced til 9 months later. No one is sure how he died?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8816409/French-Lady-Brigitte-Macrons-husband-dies-recluse-aged-69.html

“He [ALAuziere] never spoke about the split from his wife, and there are no recent photographs of him whatsoever.

It is not known if if either Brigitte Macron or her husband attended his funeral, or how and where he died.

A presidential spokesman said there would be 'no comment on this subject because it is of a private nature.'”

The Elysee is hiding something. I don’t believe they are hiding the fact Mme macron is a man but I believe the reason they can’t squash this insane theory like a bug is because that would need complete honesty and it might reveal something ELSE

No, they do care

I have met two people that know these families from Amiens. One intimated to me that there is indeed a scandal, but wouldn’t say what, the other actually described her version of the scandal (or the shocking truth) but I won’t repeat it here because I don’t want to get banned - and nor do I want to get arrested in France
    Macron is the son?

I’m not even going to go there. Suffice to say people that believe the Elysee is hiding something are not crazy conspiracy theorists
    If only we had a recent example of a palace withholding information, but it turns out the conspiracy theories were entirely incorrect and there was an important but benign personal reason for not disclosing that information.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,132
    MattW said:

Starmer was here in North Wales today with Gething, who has already said his new cabinet in the Senedd will review the ending of road building and the 20 mph speed legislation under Drakeford and is even looking at the third Menai crossing

To be fair that is a good start by him, but he has a problem with the doctors who are on strike in Wales and who said they can earn more in England and Scotland NHS and that is before he takes on the farmers

I take it the farmers are still enforcing 5mph speed limits?
    I don't think ending road building was ever a proposal. Some schemes were stopped, and others were not stopped.

I don;t see the default 20mph speed limit in urban areas being reviewed - aiui we are due another interim report soon, and I think the benefits will be too significant to prevent a reverse ferret.
    Likely so. As I’ve said many times, it’s universally 20mph around me in north London. It’s great. An improvement in so many ways. You soon get used to it.
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 605
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No, they do care

I'm only interested in a conspiracy theory featuring Trump Boris Johnson the Spectator magazine Emmanuel Macron if it involves the Jesuits.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,359
    Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Starmer was here in North Wales today with Gething, who has already said his new cabinet in the Senedd will review the ending of road building and the 20 mph speed legislation under Drakeford and is even looking at the third Menai crossing

To be fair that is a good start by him, but he has a problem with the doctors who are on strike in Wales and who said they can earn more in England and Scotland NHS and that is before he takes on the farmers

I don't think ending road building was ever a proposal. Some schemes were stopped, and others were not stopped.

I don;t see the default 20mph speed limit in urban areas being reviewed - aiui we are due another interim report soon, and I think the benefits will be too significant to prevent a reverse ferret.
    That's the problem with evidence-based policy making.
    The minister responsible for the 20mph policy has stepped down and has been replaced with North Wales Ken Skates who has a very much more sensible attitude to the issue

North Wales road building projects could be revisited with Mark Drakeford gone

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/major-north-wales-road-building-28879680#ICID=Android_DailyPostNewsApp_AppShare
  • Options
    ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,507
    edited March 25

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

To win the election Labour need a couple of million Tory votes to switch to Labour, and more to stay at home, go LD and Reform and so on. Labour already have Bootle. In Cumbria, where I live, they hold zero seats and have a real chance of winning all but one next time. I think they will. This will be on the basis of voters thinking they are more competent than the Tories, do not hold revolutionary views that offend those who normally vote Tory but feel deserted, will be more honest and consistent and will take a long view.

So what will be the size of the Labour victory in your view?
    The last time I had to guess (I foolishly entered the New Year guessing game) I said NOM - Labour on 315 seats or thereabouts. I would settle for that as a Labour/LD deal being necessary for governing would not be at all bad.

However the Tories have plumbed depths beyond imagining so far this year, and it looks as if one or two others are like me - always vote Tory but not this time.

I feel like those academic polling people who after massive amounts of maths confidently predict a Labour majority between -30 and +300 with 95% certainty.

A Tory wipe out is what they deserve. Rationally I think the result will be something like 1997. Which would, I hope, be enough for One Nation Tories to be able to take their party back.
    Rishi and Hunt and Cameron are the One Nation Tories relatively now, if they lose therefore it will be the ERG and the right and the likes of Braverman, Badenoch, Jenrick and Rees Mogg and Patel looking to get their party back
    And face oblivion - the one thing Reform and those mentioned cannot seem to understand is that the political gravity has moved far away from Brexit and the right and they will suffer the same fate as the dinosaurs, whilst Starmer looks at 2 if not 3 election wins
    You may well be correct. What I don't see in British politics is where do the socially conservative voters now go? The Conservatives marched left on policy and overshot the centre (most of government policy is ripped from Ed Miliband who should demand royalties). Labour are looking centrist-ish but will have to appease their activists (the private education and energy infrastructure proposals have scope for a lot of interesting unintended consequences that willl impact their marginal vote share). The Lib Dems didn't seem to enjoy power in the Coalition (when did they last mention it on the airwaves?) and seem to prefer the purity of opposition. Reform have a slightly unpleasant odour around them.

Nobody seems to be actively offering something positive, they're just pointing fingers at each other. A cleared out Conservative party could become attractive quite quickly in opposition. But probably not.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,500
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No, they do care

Macron is the son?

I’m not even going to go there. Suffice to say people that believe the Elysee is hiding something are not crazy conspiracy theorists
    If only we had a recent example of a palace withholding information, but it turns out the conspiracy theories were entirely incorrect and there was an important but benign personal reason for not disclosing that information.
    Which is basically my position. I don’t believe the mad theory mme macron is a guy. I do believe there is an awkward truth being concealed which makes it more difficult to bat away the madness

The absence of any photos of her first husband - bar the wedding photo - is really quite striking. And he died as a recluse? And no one could reach him
    for years before that? And his death was not announced for nine months (during macrons presidency)?

Er, ok. All perfectly normal. Not
  • Options

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

To win the election Labour need a couple of million Tory votes to switch to Labour, and more to stay at home, go LD and Reform and so on. Labour already have Bootle. In Cumbria, where I live, they hold zero seats and have a real chance of winning all but one next time. I think they will. This will be on the basis of voters thinking they are more competent than the Tories, do not hold revolutionary views that offend those who normally vote Tory but feel deserted, will be more honest and consistent and will take a long view.

So what will be the size of the Labour victory in your view?
    The last time I had to guess (I foolishly entered the New Year guessing game) I said NOM - Labour on 315 seats or thereabouts. I would settle for that as a Labour/LD deal being necessary for governing would not be at all bad.

However the Tories have plumbed depths beyond imagining so far this year, and it looks as if one or two others are like me - always vote Tory but not this time.

I feel like those academic polling people who after massive amounts of maths confidently predict a Labour majority between -30 and +300 with 95% certainty.

A Tory wipe out is what they deserve. Rationally I think the result will be something like 1997. Which would, I hope, be enough for One Nation Tories to be able to take their party back.
    Rishi and Hunt and Cameron are the One Nation Tories relatively now, if they lose therefore it will be the ERG and the right and the likes of Braverman, Badenoch, Jenrick and Rees Mogg and Patel looking to get their party back
    And face oblivion - the one thing Reform and those mentioned cannot seem to understand is that the political gravity has moved far away from Brexit and the right and they will suffer the same fate as the dinosaurs, whilst Starmer looks at 2 if not 3 election wins
    You may well be correct. What I don't see in British politics is where do the socially conservative voters now go? The Conservatives marched left on policy and overshot the centre (most of government policy is ripped from Ed Miliband who should demand royalties). Labour are looking centrist-ish but will have to appease their activists (the private education and energy infrastructure proposals have scope for a lot of interesting unintended consequences that willl impact their marginal vote share). The Lib Dems didn't seem to enjoy power in the Coalition (when did they last mention it on the airwaves?) and seem to prefer the purity of opposition. Reform have a slightly unpleasant odour around them.

Nobody seems to be actively offering something positive, they're just pointing fingers at each other. A cleared out Conservative party could become attractive quite quickly in opposition. But probably not.
    A Tory Party that offered young people something on home ownership and shunned the elderly vote could foster a whole new long term coalition.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,423
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No, they do care

Macron is the son?

Which is basically my position. I don’t believe the mad theory mme macron is a guy. I do believe there is an awkward truth being concealed which makes it more difficult to bat away the madness

The absence of any photos of her first husband - bar the wedding photo - is really quite striking. And he died as a recluse? And no one could reach him
    for years before that? And his death was not announced for nine months (during macrons presidency)?

She had three children with first hubby.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,961
    Just spent 3 weeks in the USA and didn't hear anything about Trump the whole time I was there, except if you switched on the TV news. But I was in a very Democrat area.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,423
    Mum and I got our polling cards today, London Mayoral election presumably. Can't be a May election now, surely!
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,926

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

That's the problem with evidence-based policy making.
    The minister responsible for the 20mph policy has stepped down and has been replaced with North Wales Ken Skates who has a very much more sensible attitude to the issue

North Wales road building projects could be revisited with Mark Drakeford gone

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/major-north-wales-road-building-28879680#ICID=Android_DailyPostNewsApp_AppShare
    Setting aside the pros and cons, It's bad politics. In DfTs 2018 study, 20mph limits had 74% approval rating (net +58%) for people living in residential areas.

Only 3% of people thought they had a negative impact on the local economy.

So, while Tory activists knock on doors, they are likely to meet with widespread incredulity at the idea that speeds should increase in their neighbourhood.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,715
    edited March 26
    Kate Garraway on caring for Derek Draper, and her resultant debt:

Basic cost was 4k per month, not including therapy.

That could help to put social care back on the agenda (where it needs to be). With Labour flying in formation with Conservatives on mayny things until the election, is this one a distinctive for LibDems to push - it's defining for Ed Davey?

Ed Davey's wife was diagnosed with MS in 2022.

Interesting parallel with Lee Anderson, who's wife has Cystic Fibrosis.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68656222
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,961
    edited March 26
    Latest polling-based forecast for the next Canadian election.

Con 210 seats
    Lib 63
    BQ 38
    NDP 25
    Green 2

https://338canada.com/federal.htm
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,500

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No, they do care

Macron is the son?

She had three children with first hubby.
    First hubby died on Christmas Eve 2019. At 18.30pm

He was apparently cremated on… Christmas Eve 2019

The whole thing gets weirder and weirder

According to some reports the affair between 15 year old Emmanuel and 40 year old brigitte auziere began at the Auziere family home. While Brigitte’s husband was there (but unknowing)

He felt so humiliated at being cuckolded by a schoolboy he filed for divorce and never saw his wife then ex wife ever again. He avoided all social contact where he might meet her (even close family funerals)

That’s why he became a recluse and that’s why there are no photos. That’s quite odd and that’s the semi official explanation…

Perhaps his sudden and apparently shameful death was eventually suicide, after what Brigitte did to him. You would keep that quiet

And these are the more grounded explanations!

• Options
    guybrushguybrush Posts: 237
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

GET ME THE FUCK BACK TO COLD GREY DEPRESSING LONDON

You really don't want to be here. I am in London with a fire on, 2 thick woolly layers, a snood, wrist warmers and a blanket and am still freezing as well as looking as depressed and fed up as Whistler's Mother.
    Jeez. It does look pretty bad. One nice day. Otherwise perpetual late February

It should not be 10C max and sunless in early April
    Five sunny days forecast, and some cloud and rain to keep the flowers happy. What are you moaning about?
    The outlook is giving moo until the 5-6th of April.

https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twodata/gfs.aspx
    It is what the kids say to describe inelegant, ugly or unappealing: e.g.: "i look like a cow today. This outfit is giving moo."

I teach undergrads so I pick up the lingeri 😆😆😆
    Lingeri = lingo

My keyboard was on Danish spell check 😅
    It’s fine. Everyone just assumed you’re a professor who likes to go round picking up his students’ lingerie

Nothing won’t with that. Don’t listen to the naysayers and the busybodies
    Every departments got one - the academic who is just too friendly with the undergraduates. Sometimes it’s goes a bit too far. A few years ago we had an older colleague who dated and fathered a child with a PhD student (not his own). Sadly did not end well - he took his own life as lots of the brown smelly was about to hit the fan. I miss him - he was a decent sort, at heart.

But stay away from the students is very, very sound advice.
    I’m so old it was a known and accepted “perk of the job” for the professors at UCL Philosophy

And you know what? Good luck to them. Consenting adults. It’s not like someone is 15 and the other is his 40 year old married drama teacher who weirdly has no photos of herself aged 7 to 30
    Not quite that simple. Academic dates UG from another course? Consenting adults can apply, so sure, get on with it.
    From the course you teach on? And mark essays, exams, coursework? Abuse of power (potentially).

And as I said, for my colleague it ended in ruin and his suicide.
    How about we all just calm down and say that anyone over the age of 18 can choose any sexual partner they like - even, yes, shudder - a professor at their own university? Who actually teaches them?

We are free to disapprove, and very many would - but if you’re an adult you’re an adult. I’d apply this across the board

In our worthy attempts to protect young people we have problematised all kinds of perfectly wholesome relationships at the workplace and so on. Its prudish nonsense

For what it's worth the rather liberal admin girl from a minor London uni I was dating a couple of years ago said its still very much a perk of the job for academics. She was very open about having engaged in a bit of office hours action back in her undergrad days.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    Alcan is opening a new aluminium plant to supply @Leon with foil for his hats...
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,895
    edited March 26
    XX
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,897
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

GET ME THE FUCK BACK TO COLD GREY DEPRESSING LONDON

You really don't want to be here. I am in London with a fire on, 2 thick woolly layers, a snood, wrist warmers and a blanket and am still freezing as well as looking as depressed and fed up as Whistler's Mother.
    Jeez. It does look pretty bad. One nice day. Otherwise perpetual late February

It should not be 10C max and sunless in early April
    Five sunny days forecast, and some cloud and rain to keep the flowers happy. What are you moaning about?
    The outlook is giving moo until the 5-6th of April.

https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twodata/gfs.aspx
    It is what the kids say to describe inelegant, ugly or unappealing: e.g.: "i look like a cow today. This outfit is giving moo."

I teach undergrads so I pick up the lingeri 😆😆😆
    Lingeri = lingo

My keyboard was on Danish spell check 😅
    It’s fine. Everyone just assumed you’re a professor who likes to go round picking up his students’ lingerie

Nothing won’t with that. Don’t listen to the naysayers and the busybodies
    Every departments got one - the academic who is just too friendly with the undergraduates. Sometimes it’s goes a bit too far. A few years ago we had an older colleague who dated and fathered a child with a PhD student (not his own). Sadly did not end well - he took his own life as lots of the brown smelly was about to hit the fan. I miss him - he was a decent sort, at heart.

But stay away from the students is very, very sound advice.
    I’m so old it was a known and accepted “perk of the job” for the professors at UCL Philosophy

And you know what? Good luck to them. Consenting adults. It’s not like someone is 15 and the other is his 40 year old married drama teacher who weirdly has no photos of herself aged 7 to 30
    Not quite that simple. Academic dates UG from another course? Consenting adults can apply, so sure, get on with it.
    From the course you teach on? And mark essays, exams, coursework? Abuse of power (potentially).

And as I said, for my colleague it ended in ruin and his suicide.
    How about we all just calm down and say that anyone over the age of 18 can choose any sexual partner they like - even, yes, shudder - a professor at their own university? Who actually teaches them?

We are free to disapprove, and very many would - but if you’re an adult you’re an adult. I’d apply this across the board

In our worthy attempts to protect young people we have problematised all kinds of perfectly wholesome relationships at the workplace and so on. Its prudish nonsense

The principle applied here and more generally in the world of work is “not between people with power over each other”

A professor and a student of *that professor* have a power imbalance.

Avoid that and you avoid about 99% of the problems.
    Which is an arguable position (I disagree but I accept I am more at the libertarian end of the spectrum)

But it seems to me that this definition has expanded to make almost any relationship within the same institution fraught with problems unless both parties are at exactly the same level. Or so I have heard

Luckily im a wandering minstrel with no master or mistress except the cruel muse of my knapping talent, so I can ignore all these mad rules
    When your daughter goes to Uni, would you be happy with her shacking up with her professor?
    Probably not, but who knows. She might be genuinely in love and he might be a nice guy? He might make her happy? How can I know beforehand?

I married a woman 30+ years younger than me and we were very very happy

My point is the law should not get involved here and people should not be driven to suicide

You're still denying the point of conflict with the work itself. How would you feel if some other student got a grant ot scholarship instead of your daughter because student 1 was shagging the prof on the committee? Or a first class degree? The Speccy would be all over itself to condemn the academic standards at that u.
This discussion has been closed.