Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why Keir Starmer is the new Boris Johnson – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

Biden to make surprise address
    Joe Biden will deliver a speech at 7.45pm (12:45am GMT), the White House has announced, in a last-minute addition to his schedule for the day.

And it's a catastrophe. Biden shouting at reporters saying he's not senile.... then immediately confuses Mexico with Egypt

He's fucked. Biden is finished. That's it

The Dems have a stark choice, proceed with Biden and face a very probable defeat to Trump - or, indeed, anyone - or move very quick and replace him with Not Kamala Harris
    You keep doing this. Nobody who's concern is "Biden is senile" is then going to decide to vote for Trump - who is senile and demented.

Everything you say about Biden *is also true* about Trump. You point to the huge problem with the dem candidate saying nothing about how the gop candidate has the same problem.

If you are a Trump supporter like luckyguy just say so. Stop dancing round your handbag.
    A few days ago I went through the pain of watching a random 15 minutes of a Biden campaign speech and a random 15 minutes of a Trump campaign speech.

Biden just looks a lot worse, his speech is weak and wavering, he stumbles even when reading the autocue. If he goes off the autocue he can't seem to string a coherent phrase together.

Trump was rambling on and on about how he aced a cognitive test where you had to correctly identify a picture of a whale, but he was able to put words together in a row.

I wouldn't trust either of them to take care of a 4-year old child for half an hour, let alone run a country.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

Joe Biden will deliver a speech at 7.45pm (12:45am GMT), the White House has announced, in a last-minute addition to his schedule for the day.

And it's a catastrophe. Biden shouting at reporters saying he's not senile.... then immediately confuses Mexico with Egypt

The Dems have a stark choice, proceed with Biden and face a very probable defeat to Trump - or, indeed, anyone - or move very quick and replace him with Not Kamala Harris
    You keep doing this. Nobody who's concern is "Biden is senile" is then going to decide to vote for Trump - who is senile and demented.

Everything you say about Biden *is also true* about Trump. You point to the huge problem with the dem candidate saying nothing about how the gop candidate has the same problem.

If you are a Trump supporter like luckyguy just say so. Stop dancing round your handbag.
    Oh FFS. This piffling drivel is why I am close to quitting PB

In this fucking thread I say Trump is a "crazed weirdo", and I also say he is a "seriously poor candidate, with his own cognitive issues, and a ton of legal shit hanging around", I also say that GPT4 could be a better president than him, and much else. Look, it's there, right there, just below this

That's all in the last hour. If you can't be bothered to read threads then don't fucking comment on them
    So, Biden is preferable to Trump, right?
    I was about to give you a long thoughtful answer repeating my polar bear on the ice floe analogy but you know what, fuck it, why should I bother

PB you really have to up your game, this is desperate now
    No, its a genuine question. However bad Biden is - and he is increasingly disastrous - if the choice is him or Trump what do you say?

The insanity of this is that in a few months we are likely to genuinely have Biden or Trump. Mad and Madder. What a choice! But in that very likely scenario, you have to back one of them. Right?

So which is it?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,252
    Also, while we're at it, and very much on topic, and before I quit for the seventeenth but FINAL TIME, I should point out that I just tipped the scales at 84.1kg, I have lost 13.3kg, I am now basically at my target weight. 185 pounds, two stone lighter than I was

If and when I disappear, I don't want you to picture me as some waddling old git, slobbering out the door with a cheeseburger in my gob, spitting bits of pickle at @RochdalePioneers - I shall sleekly disappear like a young Fred Astaire, svelte and nimble, twinkling with a certain dashing debonair quality, vanishing handsomely and wistfully into the distance of time
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,710
    edited February 9
    Leon said:

Putin is able to talk coherently and intelligently about what he thinks is Russian history from 1300 to the present, off the cuff, with no apparent cue cards, no assistance, no stumbles. Might be boring as shit, like some crap lecture at a mediocre university, but he can do it.

Fixed that for you.

Eighteen months ago, my wife who is very good with history had the following conversation with me.
    Wife: "Well, Putin is sort of right. Ukraine has only been a country for thirty years. Maybe it doesn't deserve to exist."
    Myself: "I'm sure I've heard that argument before..................."
    Wife: "Oh yes. Czechoslovakia."
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122
    Leon said:

I note that @Cyclefree has apparently departed

Well done, PB, well done

I'm not sure I really get what's irking you. People have disagreed with you, but isn't that kind of the whole point of this site? Nobody has been especially unpleasant or rude to you. It would be a shame if you left.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,768

Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Also, would Kamala be that bad?

Kamala gets no love on here but if she passed the Ukraine Purity Test then the pb.com 6Music Centrist Dads would soon be on board.

She's just a standard American hegemonist and defender of Capital. She would provide a starker contrast with DJT through dint not being a gaga old white man enslaved by his own vanity, which both Biden and Trump are.
    I don't get the disdain for Kamala Harris. I don't know whether or not she is presidential material but she seems inoffensive enough. I hasten to add I never listen to music and am neither a centrist nor a Dad.
    She seems to be genuinely dim. Says inane and stupid things

But who cares. She is sane, she can delegate, she can get a good VP
    The problem is she's unpopular, and does even worse than Biden in head to head polling vs Trump. Maybe she would get a honeymoon, maybe actually being president would give her a boost, but she doesn't look like such a great option.
    I wouldn't dispute that. I am deferring to experts on US politics, on this site, who say it is - in terms of practical politics- very diffiult to get round her, as a candidate, because the VP is the next obvious choice - and she is a black woman

Perhaps she too can be persuaded to step back
    Lets assume both Biden and Harris can be persuaded to step back.

You now have twenty odd senior people, who don't agree and represent different constituencies within the party thinking it should be them, or at the very least their close allies.

What next?
    Double standards are at play. We have seen Trump do all of the dementia stuff that Biden has done. Display the same physical frailties. With the added neo-fascism on top.

For whatever reason, tens of millions of Americans want fascism - war against the foreigner and minorities and un-Christian womenfolk. When that is the target audience it doesn't matter that Trump is a drooling lunatic.

This then is the flip side. Neither of them can lead alone. Too old, too far gone. So its a question of do you want to install the NSGOP and transform America into Gilead, or do you want to stop that?

The reason why the dems are clinging to Biden in fear and panic is because they simply do not know how to combat American fascism. Any alternative candidate would need to have that kind of magnetic personality and they just don't have anyone. It is as much their failure as it is the GOP's.
    My point is more that the idea the Dems can quickly and cleanly choose a new candidate other than Biden or Harris is fantasy. There are of course plenty of better candidates but also plenty of worse ones too, and there is not a good process to select who the candidate is. That is why it will still be Biden imo.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

In this fucking thread I say Trump is a "crazed weirdo", and I also say he is a "seriously poor candidate, with his own cognitive issues, and a ton of legal shit hanging around", I also say that GPT4 could be a better president than him, and much else. Look, it's there, right there, just below this

That's all in the last hour. If you can't be bothered to read threads then don't fucking comment on them
    I was about to give you a long thoughtful answer repeating my polar bear on the ice floe analogy but you know what, fuck it, why should I bother

Can't you humour us, and just answer the question - who would you vote for Biden or Trump?

For me it's not a difficult question, I would vote Biden without the slightest hesitation, even if he is a well-meaning old man with poor memory.
  • Options
    The tragedy (comedy?) of the DNC is that they don't have anyone else lined up. Harris is veep but that was the consolation prize to bury her in. Buttigeig is too crap and too gay/woke. The others are too who?

So they need left field. Tom Hanks. Boris Johnson. The Olsen Twins. Michelle 'No, I'm Not Running As A Proxy For My Husband' Obama. Someone who can come in, have a smile and a knowing look in the eye, and call out Trumpism for what it is.

Last time out the left field candidate turned out to be the 167 year old former veep. But he can't pull the same trick this time. Trump has also gone doolally, but when you lead a neo-fascist movement that isn't seen as a vote loser.

So. Mary-Kate or Ashley?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,468

Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Kamala gets no love on here but if she passed the Ukraine Purity Test then the pb.com 6Music Centrist Dads would soon be on board.

She's just a standard American hegemonist and defender of Capital. She would provide a starker contrast with DJT through dint not being a gaga old white man enslaved by his own vanity, which both Biden and Trump are.
    I don't get the disdain for Kamala Harris. I don't know whether or not she is presidential material but she seems inoffensive enough. I hasten to add I never listen to music and am neither a centrist nor a Dad.

The problem is she's unpopular, and does even worse than Biden in head to head polling vs Trump. Maybe she would get a honeymoon, maybe actually being president would give her a boost, but she doesn't look like such a great option.
    I wouldn't dispute that. I am deferring to experts on US politics, on this site, who say it is - in terms of practical politics- very diffiult to get round her, as a candidate, because the VP is the next obvious choice - and she is a black woman

You now have twenty odd senior people, who don't agree and represent different constituencies within the party thinking it should be them, or at the very least their close allies.

What next?
    Double standards are at play. We have seen Trump do all of the dementia stuff that Biden has done. Display the same physical frailties. With the added neo-fascism on top.

For whatever reason, tens of millions of Americans want fascism - war against the foreigner and minorities and un-Christian womenfolk. When that is the target audience it doesn't matter that Trump is a drooling lunatic.

This then is the flip side. Neither of them can lead alone. Too old, too far gone. So its a question of do you want to install the NSGOP and transform America into Gilead, or do you want to stop that?

The reason why the dems are clinging to Biden in fear and panic is because they simply do not know how to combat American fascism. Any alternative candidate would need to have that kind of magnetic personality and they just don't have anyone. It is as much their failure as it is the GOP's.
    And that is a problem that's been building for years. Part of the reason Biden ran last time was that he connected with blue collar America in a way that younger Dems didn't. There was no alternative. And despite having had four years to fix it, there isn't really an obvious "ticks Biden's boxes, but isn't old" candidate.

Bottom line is that the rise of fash tends to include a phase where moderates on the right say "OK, X is a bit of an oik and thug, but we need a firm hand to deal with the atheists / communists / freemasons / foreigners / woke. And we'll be able to control him if necessary."

They never can.
  • Options

Leon said:

Well done, PB, well done

I'm not sure I really get what's irking you. People have disagreed with you, but isn't that kind of the whole point of this site? Nobody has been especially unpleasant or rude to you. It would be a shame if you left.
    tbf a few people, including me, have been unpleasant and rude to Leon, but I kinda assumed it doesn't bother him
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002
    Leon said:

Well done, PB, well done

Never traditionally been a strong flouncer and usually skulks back so dry your eyes.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Well done, PB, well done

She was being namechecked the other day in a debate on Trans issues that she was not even participating in, by men naturally, who disagreed with her. Disparaging comments natch. How dare she have an opinion. Women, men are talking.

It is a shame. She came back, wrote some good stuff, was abused by that old drunken moron Ishmael to which Mike wielded the ban hammer. She carried on her threads free of abuse and derogatory comments.

It is sad to see her intellect go.
    I've just had a scan back through comments and couldn't see anything which would suggest anyone had said negative things. Or her responding to them.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    Leon said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

Post Brexit and Covid I would observe that the comments website are characterised by what I would describe as a 'woke consensus', ie agreement with prevailing cultural trends. The main differences seem to be on economics, or just hair splitting over things like the electric cars, the value of ofsted, planning reform, etc. Someone needs to provide the antithesis to the 'woke consensus' - be this on Trump, Ukraine, net zero, immigration, trans issues, etc. Unlike in past years (the fierce brexit wars, etc), there is an an increasing sense of sleepy agreement on issues. This sleepy agreement is reinforced by debating techniques of the 'woke left' that are well documented, creating broad and expansive definitions of concepts like 'racism' to try and shut out debate and challenge.

• Options
    Come on Tom Hanks. The western world needs you to run for President.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good morning, everyone.

Seems rather testy today.

I hope neither Ms. Cyclefree nor Mr. Royale have left permanently.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906

Come on Tom Hanks. The western world needs you to run for President.

Arnie. Would have as much legitimacy as Trump if the Supreme Court decide against him.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,284
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

Phew. His silly mistake didn’t matter as much as I thought it would.
    No, this is headline news everywhere.Biden seems to be getting worse daily now.

This is the New York Times, which is about the most pro-Biden and anti-Trump of major media outlets. This is their main story

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/02/08/us/biden-documents-trump-nevada-news

"In a hurriedly arranged nighttime televised appearance at the White House, a defiant Mr. Biden offered a feisty defense of his actions and his capacity to run the country, an effort to quell concerns that could hurt his chances for re-election at a time when polls show most voters already think he is too old. The report called him a “well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory,” a line that clearly got under the president’s skin.

“I’m well meaning, and I’m an elderly man, and I know what the hell I’m doing,” Mr. Biden told a Fox News reporter who asked him about the report after his statement. “My memory is so bad I let you speak.”

Mr. Biden was especially irked that the special counsel indicated that the president could not remember the year his elder son, Beau, died of cancer, a particularly sensitive subject for him. “How in the hell dare he raise that?” Mr. Biden said, sounding emotional.

But even as he sought to dispel suggestions that he might not be up for the job, he confused the presidents of Mexico and Egypt in response to a question about negotiations to release hostages held by Hamas, making exactly the kind of mistake that his staff presumably hoped he would avoid at a time when his mental acuity is being questioned."

THAT is disastrous, no two ways about it
    Like I say, it’s not disastrous.

I was getting a bit worried, until you said otherwise.

But, because of who his opponent is, I suppose I shouldn’t have been that worried. Trump’s mental faculties have not so much declined as imploded.
    Like being assured that Italy will win the rugby; mighty reassuring…
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,184

Taz said:

Leon said:

Well done, PB, well done

She was being namechecked the other day in a debate on Trans issues that she was not even participating in, by men naturally, who disagreed with her. Disparaging comments natch. How dare she have an opinion. Women, men are talking.

It is a shame. She came back, wrote some good stuff, was abused by that old drunken moron Ishmael to which Mike wielded the ban hammer. She carried on her threads free of abuse and derogatory comments.

It is sad to see her intellect go.
    I've just had a scan back through comments and couldn't see anything which would suggest anyone had said negative things. Or her responding to them.
    The search field here is not especially good. It was the day of PMQ's. She was namechecked. I did not say she responded. She was just referenced. Needlessly.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031

Good morning, everyone.

Has @Cyclefree left? I hope not,. As far as I can see her last comments to and from her were not particularly heated. Unless some comments have been deleted?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,184
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Well done, PB, well done

Never traditionally been a strong flouncer and usually skulks back so dry your eyes.
    Not quite at Correct Horse Ninja levels mind.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122
    darkage said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

Post Brexit and Covid I would observe that the comments website are characterised by what I would describe as a 'woke consensus', ie agreement with prevailing cultural trends. The main differences seem to be on economics, or just hair splitting over things like the electric cars, the value of ofsted, planning reform, etc. Someone needs to provide the antithesis to the 'woke consensus' - be this on Trump, Ukraine, net zero, immigration, trans issues, etc. Unlike in past years (the fierce brexit wars, etc), there is an an increasing sense of sleepy agreement on issues. This sleepy agreement is reinforced by debating techniques of the 'woke left' that are well documented, creating broad and expansive definitions of concepts like 'racism' to try and shut out debate and challenge.

That's interesting. I guess I am part of the "woke consensus" on cultural issues, but I'd say I go out of my way to not accuse people of racism, even when to my mind they are being racist AF, precisely because I don't think it is conducive to open debate.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

kamski said:

Have Putin's ramblings sent @Harper to sleep? I was hoping for a 2 line summary of that boring interview

From the Independent's coverage, a 2-line summary would be:

Putin: "It's all someone else's fault."
    Carlson: "I agree."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/tucker-carlson-putin-full-interview-when-time-b2492651.html
    Also "Russia will win, if you stop supporting Ukraine."
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    edited February 9
    I don't want anyone to leave PB, I hope Cyclefree and Casino come back soon.

My issue with Leon is his constant "PB is shite - I'm leaving" threats which are extremely tedious attention-seeking twaddle. He is confusing us with people who give a f*ck whether he stays or goes.

So, Leon, if you're going to continue this crap Churchill's message is appropriate:

Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

No, its a genuine question. However bad Biden is - and he is increasingly disastrous - if the choice is him or Trump what do you say?

The insanity of this is that in a few months we are likely to genuinely have Biden or Trump. Mad and Madder. What a choice! But in that very likely scenario, you have to back one of them. Right?

So which is it?
    This is just garbage.

The current offer is to chose the lesser of two Evils.

What happens if you dont want to vote Evil in the first place ?
  • Options
    kamski said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

A few days ago I went through the pain of watching a random 15 minutes of a Biden campaign speech and a random 15 minutes of a Trump campaign speech.

Biden just looks a lot worse, his speech is weak and wavering, he stumbles even when reading the autocue. If he goes off the autocue he can't seem to string a coherent phrase together.

Trump was rambling on and on about how he aced a cognitive test where you had to correctly identify a picture of a whale, but he was able to put words together in a row.

I wouldn't trust either of them to take care of a 4-year old child for half an hour, let alone run a country.
    Except that empirically, Biden has done a decent job.

Whereas Trump gets graded on a curve.
  • Options
    JonWCJonWC Posts: 285
    I'd expected this forum to be full of betting posts given Biden is still heavily odds on to be the Democratic candidate. I've done some, but in truth amazed he has not completely collapsed. Look at the US polling - one of the top reasons people give for not voting for Biden is his age.

Now the report has said Biden is a senile old fool in not that many more words. He is finished. Democrats despise/fear Trump (me too) and they know what they are likely to get and deserve to get it good and hard if they persist with Biden.

Another betting remark. Once Biden goes and a serious Democrat starts polling miles ahead of Trump there is a good chance the Republicans suddenly remember that they don't want an unhinged sex offender as their candidate.

Selling Trump seems like a very low risk bet.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Harper said:

1st 30 minutes of Putin interview unbelievably boring and likely to cause a mass turnoff as Carlson loses control of the interview.

I can't be bothered to watch any of it. I'll read the comments on here about it instead.
    Well it was a stunt, Andy, as most on here suspected it would be.

Not worth pursuit.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

My issue with Leon is his constant "PB is shite - I'm leaving" threats which are extremely tedious attention-seeking twaddle. He is confusing us with people who give a f*ck whether he stays or goes.

So, Leon, if you're going to continue this crap Churchill's message is appropriate:

Churchill???
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Taz said:

Leon said:

The New York Times has changed its main story. It now begins thus:

"The decision on Thursday not to file criminal charges against President Biden for mishandling classified documents should have been an unequivocal legal exoneration.

Instead, it was a political disaster."

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/08/us/politics/biden-special-counsel-report-documents.html

https://x.com/afneil/status/1755708533343990115?s=61
    Wow, that’s horrible to read. So sad for the guy, but he really can’t carry on. Time for the cabinet to call the 25th amendment on him, and then work out how to deal with the Kamala problem?

I wonder if Ramaswarmy or DeSantis are having second thoughts about suspending their campaigns, if Trump’s opponent isn’t going to be Biden?

Has anyone seen the whole Putin interview yet? I’ve heard mixed reviews but Carlson did ask him about the arrested American journalist.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Has @Cyclefree left? I hope not,. As far as I can see her last comments to and from her were not particularly heated. Unless some comments have been deleted?
    She appears to be a pretty busy person with a disturbing number of interests outside of PB.
  • Options

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

So which is it?
    This is just garbage.

I entirely agree! But "its a two party system, you have to vote for one of us"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuYsZUMuj0M
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796

Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

What next?

And that is a problem that's been building for years. Part of the reason Biden ran last time was that he connected with blue collar America in a way that younger Dems didn't. There was no alternative. And despite having had four years to fix it, there isn't really an obvious "ticks Biden's boxes, but isn't old" candidate.

Bottom line is that the rise of fash tends to include a phase where moderates on the right say "OK, X is a bit of an oik and thug, but we need a firm hand to deal with the atheists / communists / freemasons / foreigners / woke. And we'll be able to control him if necessary."

They never can.
    You could also turn this around and note that the rise of communism includes a phase when moderates tolerate extreme positions in the cause of projects like 'defeating racism', which is what we have been seeing since circa 2020.

The problem is with the reflexive sympathy amongst the 'progressive, educated' elites towards communism, it makes people blind to the dangers.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    Jonathan said:

Churchill???
    Doh yes - my bad

Amery, sorry.
  • Options

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

So which is it?
    This is just garbage.

I entirely agree! But "its a two party system, you have to vote for one of us"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuYsZUMuj0M
    You can vote for other candidates or just not vote or spoil your vote.

The States isnt going to come to its senses until these two morons are safely tucked up in to an old age home.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    The Democrats in the US and the whole of Europe worked for three years on the basis that 2020 was the end of Trump. It was a terrible, complacent and unforgivable error. And one that will do untold damage.

There is no way Biden can fight an election campaign. He just can’t - he’s too old and frail. He’s not senile or close to it, but his mind is slowing down. It’s what happens. Trump is clearly not all there either but he is physically stronger and has a much more forgiving voter base. I just don’t see how he loses if Biden is his opponent.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    With 300,000,000 Septics to choose from, how come the top two are Trump and Biden? Both demented and one doolally in the first place.

They have more problems than the SNP. By comparison, Rishi is a breath of fresh air.
  • Options
    JonWC said:

I'd expected this forum to be full of betting posts given Biden is still heavily odds on to be the Democratic candidate. I've done some, but in truth amazed he has not completely collapsed. Look at the US polling - one of the top reasons people give for not voting for Biden is his age.

Now the report has said Biden is a senile old fool in not that many more words. He is finished. Democrats despise/fear Trump (me too) and they know what they are likely to get and deserve to get it good and hard if they persist with Biden.

Another betting remark. Once Biden goes and a serious Democrat starts polling miles ahead of Trump there is a good chance the Republicans suddenly remember that they don't want an unhinged sex offender as their candidate.

Interesting post and that is how it would play out in the UK (assuming we had somehow got this far down the rabbit hole). I think the US is more bonkers though and we get a close disputed Biden v Trump repeat.
  • Options
    JonWC said:

Interesting post and that is how it would play out in the UK (assuming we had somehow got this far down the rabbit hole). I think the US is more bonkers though and we get a close disputed Biden v Trump repeat.
  • Options
    edited February 9
    Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

The New York Times has changed its main story. It now begins thus:

"The decision on Thursday not to file criminal charges against President Biden for mishandling classified documents should have been an unequivocal legal exoneration.

Instead, it was a political disaster."

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/08/us/politics/biden-special-counsel-report-documents.html

https://x.com/afneil/status/1755708533343990115?s=61
    Wow, that’s horrible to read. So sad for the guy, but he really can’t carry on. Time for the cabinet to call the 25th amendment on him, and then work out how to deal with the Kamala problem?

I wonder if Ramaswarmy or DeSantis are having second thoughts about suspending their campaigns, if Trump’s opponent isn’t going to be Biden?

Has anyone seen the whole Putin interview yet? I’ve heard mixed reviews but Carlson did ask him about the arrested American journalist.
    No one sane, unless they're a salaried journalist paid to do so, has watched the whole thing.
    The one interesting point of the entire performance was Putin confirming that Gershkovich is indeed a journalist rather than a spy, and that he wants to swap him for the Russian hitman held for murder in Germany.

Which is probably the most honest thing he said.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031
    CD13 said:

With 300,000,000 Septics to choose from, how come the top two are Trump and Biden? Both demented and one doolally in the first place.

They have more problems than the SNP. By comparison, Rishi is a breath of fresh air.

Because the political system is much more broken than even ours. Johnson versus Corbyn in 2019 was a nadir; but even they are colossi compared to Biden versus Trump.
  • Options

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

So which is it?
    This is just garbage.

If you feel that strongly about it, you locate/join/create a Not Evil Party and support/campaign for/stand for that.

It probably won't work (Change UK, anyone?), and might lead to the Greater Evil winning by not uniting behind Lesser Evil.

But otherwise, choosing Lesser Evil is all we can do. It's what made 2019 so dismal for many.

Bottom line is that political parties don't owe the rest of us anything. Odd when you think about it. Mass democracy probably depends on them, but they exist at the whim of unrepresentative obsessives.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

What next?

They never can.
    You could also turn this around and note that the rise of communism includes a phase when moderates tolerate extreme positions in the cause of projects like 'defeating racism', which is what we have been seeing since circa 2020.

The problem is with the reflexive sympathy amongst the 'progressive, educated' elites towards communism, it makes people blind to the dangers.
    That was a thing thirty or forty years ago.
    Not as much these days.

Whereas the fash phenomenon is a growing, if not dominant strain on the right, in not a few democracies.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,001
    Ratters said:

I suspect Starmer's announcement is a defensive one that reflects the lack of fiscal headroom the government has at the moment ('there is no money left' could easily be written today).

It's clear the intent to be more green than the Tories - especially Sunak - remains. And I expect in practice decisions will be made at each budget as to what is affordable.

It does leave the Tory with even fewer targets for the election.

“… or national infrastructure” could be appended to the Fox note too.
  • Options

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

So which is it?
    This is just garbage.

If you feel that strongly about it, you locate/join/create a Not Evil Party and support/campaign for/stand for that.

It probably won't work (Change UK, anyone?), and might lead to the Greater Evil winning by not uniting behind Lesser Evil.

But otherwise, choosing Lesser Evil is all we can do. It's what made 2019 so dismal for many.

Bottom line is that political parties don't owe the rest of us anything. Odd when you think about it. Mass democracy probably depends on them, but they exist at the whim of unrepresentative obsessives.
    What if you dont feel strongly about it ? What if you think I'll sit it out until they come to their senses ?

I didnt vote in 2019 because the choice was shit. I probably wont this time either. \But at some point the worm will turn because in the UK what we have voted for since the mid 90s hasnt worked.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,011

Jonathan said:

Churchill???
    Doh yes - my bad

Amery, sorry.
    Who was channelling Cromwell

It is not fit that you should sit here any longer. You have sat here too long for any good you have been doing lately … In the name of God go
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

So which is it?
    This is just garbage.

What if you dont feel strongly about it ? What if you think I'll sit it out until they come to their senses ?

I didnt vote in 2019 because the choice was shit. I probably wont this time either. \But at some point the worm will turn because in the UK what we have voted for since the mid 90s hasnt worked.
    Not voting a) is expressing a preference; and b) disqualifies you from complaining about the resultant administration.
  • Options
    In better news, this month and next see FFVII's remake (part 2) and Dragon's Dogma 2 released.

I think I'll skip the former to start with and perhaps get the latter on launch.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited February 9
    Sandpit said:

Post #54223 predicting the political death of Joe Biden.

&
    JonWC said:

I'd expected this forum to be full of betting posts given Biden is still heavily odds on to be the Democratic candidate. I've done some, but in truth amazed he has not completely collapsed.

Post #54224

Unless he actually dies he's going nowhere.

• Options

In better news, this month and next see FFVII's remake (part 2) and Dragon's Dogma 2 released.

I think I'll skip the former to start with and perhaps get the latter on launch.

Have you played BG3 ?

I'd say it's one of those rare games that does actually live up to the hype. 174 hours of potential dialogue apparently.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

So which is it?
    This is just garbage.

Not voting a) is expressing a preference; and b) disqualifies you from complaining about the resultant administration.
    LOL

where did this law come from ? Voters are perfectly at liberty to complain about what they want. If you voted conservative in 2019 does that mean you cant complain that they are a mediocre administration ?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

So which is it?
    This is just garbage.

LOL

where did this law come from ? Voters are perfectly at liberty to complain about what they want. If you voted conservative in 2019 does that mean you cant complain that they are a mediocre administration ?
    It's not a law it's a statement of the bleedin' obvious. It is infantile. Like those students who wear t-shirts saying: "don't vote it only encourages them".
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

&
    JonWC said:

I'd expected this forum to be full of betting posts given Biden is still heavily odds on to be the Democratic candidate. I've done some, but in truth amazed he has not completely collapsed.

Post #54224

That's possibly true.

He's run a pretty successful administration despite one of the least cooperative Congresses in history. And there's no obvious way of replacing him.

On the other hand, Robert Hur has successfully Comey-ed him.
    With (as with Hillary Clinton) the enthusiastic co-operation of the "liberal media".

It's not easy to predict how this plays out.
  • Options

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

So which is it?
    This is just garbage.

To be honest, most political parties would be OK with that. The power they get from winning on a 60% turnout is exactly the same as on a 90% turnout.

It's a dilemma, sure. I stopped being a member of the Conservative party when their worldview and mine just stopped overlapping and (locally) Andrew Rosindell became too absurd and awful to endorse with my cash any more. But the price of doing that is losing a say in trying to change any of that. Different people reach that threshold at different points.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, aye, had a lot of fun with BG3. Probably about 150hrs played. But I'm also DMing my first 5e campaign right now which is occupying quite a bit of time and necessarily scratches much of the same itch.
  • Options
    It's probably because, being a mortgage holder I'm a bit annoyed about the seemingly hawkish tone of the BoE committee compared to previous but did they used to do so many pieces to the press as they now do ?

Catherine Mann with her red sea musings for Reuters today, Huw Pill and a Telegraph article the other day...
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

So which is it?
    This is just garbage.

LOL

It's not a law it's a statement of the bleedin' obvious. It is infantile. Like those students who wear t-shirts saying: "don't vote it only encourages them".
    No its not bleedin obvious, it simply means there isnt a party worth voting for and Im well within my rights to say what I would vote for. Who did you vote for in 2019 ? Boris ?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

The Democrats in the US and the whole of Europe worked for three years on the basis that 2020 was the end of Trump. It was a terrible, complacent and unforgivable error. And one that will do untold damage.

There is no way Biden can fight an election campaign. He just can’t - he’s too old and frail. He’s not senile or close to it, but his mind is slowing down. It’s what happens. Trump is clearly not all there either but he is physically stronger and has a much more forgiving voter base. I just don’t see how he loses if Biden is his opponent.

Would you give me 3-1 that if it's Trump/Biden, Biden will win? Winnings to a charity of my/your choice?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

So which is it?
    This is just garbage.

LOL

It might make one take the complaints less seriously, but it's 'infantile' to say that it 'disqualifies' anyone to exercise free speech.
  • Options
    edited February 9
    Saying "I don't recall if I was Vice President" doesn't fall into the same category as saying "I don't recall if I was in that bank on January 25th holding a gun pointing at the cashiers".

Trump as is or Biden as is? Tough call. If Biden runs and wins his team will be running the show, which is fair enough but an acknowledged sham is not how American politics usually works. You vote for the guy and I would perfectly understand people who would choose to vote for Trump in such a situation.

I mean if you are saying that it's nothing to do with the President and all about his team then why doesn't that apply to Trump also. They can't have it both ways.

(I also perfectly understand why people choose to vote for Trump in any case but that's a different discussion.)
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,207
    edited February 9

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

He's been shrieking the same post at us dozens of times since daybreak in Phnom Pen.

Last night it was @williamglenn rewriting the same anti-Biden post loads of times.

It's a worry, not least because the pro-Trumpers seem to think Biden's forgetfulness makes Trump appear sane. There are varying degrees of age related cognitive impairment. In this case we have someone who forgets he's left some documents in his garage and another who thinks he's a teapot.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    edited February 9
    https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=916697813405461&set=a.262319695509946

Ok so that didn't work. Its today's Matt cartoon and its a cracker.
  • Options

Mr. Pulpstar, aye, had a lot of fun with BG3. Probably about 150hrs played. But I'm also DMing my first 5e campaign right now which is occupying quite a bit of time and necessarily scratches much of the same itch.

Fellow DM here - wishing you good luck. Are you playing off-book or doing your own thing?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

So which is it?
    This is just garbage.

LOL

It might make one take the complaints less seriously, but it's 'infantile' to say that it 'disqualifies' anyone to exercise free speech.
    I bet you're interesting at dinner parties.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Saying "I don't recall if I was Vice President" doesn't fall into the same category as saying "I don't recall if I was in that bank on January 25th holding a gun pointing at the cashiers".

Trump as is or Biden as is? Tough call. If Biden runs and wins his team will be running the show, which is fair enough but an acknowledged sham is not how American politics usually works. You vote for the guy and I would perfectly understand people who would choose to vote for Trump in such a situation.

I mean if you are saying that it's nothing to do with the President and all about his team then why doesn't that apply to Trump also...

Because we have empirical evidence that it doesn't.
    Who are the members of this 'Trump team' in which you hypothetically place such faith ?
  • Options

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

He'sbeen shrieking the same post at us dozens of times since daybreak in Phnom Pen.

Last night it was @williamglenn rewriting the same anti-Biden post loads of times.

It's a worry, not least because the pro-Trumpers seem to think Biden's forgetfulness makes Trump appear sane. There are varying degrees of age related cognitive impairment. In this case we have someone who forgets he's left some documents in his garage and another who thinks he's a teapot.
    Neither of them should be running.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,646

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Ouch.

Not what he wants in an election year - or at least, wouldn't be if the adversary were somebody reasonably young and sane instead of Trump.

Biden 'wilfully retained' classified files but will not be charged
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68245617

Mr Hur's report says that it would be difficult to convict Mr Biden of improper handling because "at trial, Mr Biden would likely present himself to a jury, as he did during our interview of him, as a sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory".

That really holes Biden below the waterline in terms of re-election.

It is a very polite way of calling him too senile to face trial.
    Well, it would. If his opponent wasn't Trump. Who is manifestly far more senile.

Again, if the Republicans wanted to win they'd select Haley. But they're so far gone they won't even vote for her when the orangutan isn't on the ballot.
    This is objectively wrong. Trump is not manifestly far more senile and he is ahead in the polls against Biden.
    Confusing Haley and Pelosi? Constantly confusing Biden and Obama!
    I don't think that misspeaking about contemporary political opponents is quite in the same category as having conversations with ghosts, but even if you disagree, you can't really argue that Trump is "far more" senile.
    I think misspeaking, getting someone’s name wrong once, is less significant than a lengthy rant based on your confusion. I also think Macron/Mitterrand, two people in the same role with names beginning with ‘M’, is a smaller mistake than confusing Pelosi and Haley, who are in opposing parties and different roles. I think not knowing who you are running against (Biden/Obama) is massively more significant.

Trump is a shell of what he was. What he was was odious, but Trump now is a pale facade around this hollow myth his devotees have constructed.
    Perhaps you haven't seen the news, but on a separate night, Biden described meeting Helmut Kohl at an event in 2021.
    Trump mistook a photo of Jean Carroll for his second wife.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

The tragedy (comedy?) of the DNC is that they don't have anyone else lined up. Harris is veep but that was the consolation prize to bury her in. Buttigeig is too crap and too gay/woke. The others are too who?

The DNC must have some sort of plan. Any candidate could die or fall seriously ill, or a massive scandal could emerge, so there must be some sort of off-the-record plan floating around for what to do. It would be negligent to not have a "beat Trump" plan ready.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

So which is it?
    This is just garbage.

LOL

No its not bleedin obvious, it simply means there isnt a party worth voting for and Im well within my rights to say what I would vote for. Who did you vote for in 2019 ? Boris ?
    If @Alanbrooke doesn't vote it doesn't mean that politics ups and completely transforms to a structure that he likes. It means that the person who gets most votes wins and your vote was not part of that so you have had no input into the democratic process. Which means you have opted out and hence are disqualified from comment on the outcome.

You not voting is a tacit endorsement of the winner.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

&
    JonWC said:

Post #54224

That's possibly true.

He's run a pretty successful administration despite one of the least cooperative Congresses in history. And there's no obvious way of replacing him.

With (as with Hillary Clinton) the enthusiastic co-operation of the "liberal media".

There is a relatively easy way of replacing him with Harris, but that is likely worse electorally.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

He'sbeen shrieking the same post at us dozens of times since daybreak in Phnom Pen.

Not a teapot, THE TEAPOT.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

So which is it?
    This is just garbage.

LOL

Who said anything about law? I have absolutely no problem with people who do not vote. Whether that is because of apathy or ignorance or "they're all the same". Fine, our system allows you not to vote.

But if you don't vote, then you can't complain about what the people who do vote put into office. You abstained remember. "the choice was shit". You chose to acquiesce to shit. A positive choice.
  • Options
    edited February 9
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

I mean if you are saying that it's nothing to do with the President and all about his team then why doesn't that apply to Trump also...

Who are the members of this 'Trump team' in which you hypothetically place such faith ?
    You seem to be saying Trump is a demon and we shouldn't vote for him because he, personally, is likely to do mad things, while it's fine to vote in a senile Biden because his team will run the show. If you think the Rep team is as dreadful as Trump why the demonisation of Trump.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,646
    kamski said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

The vast majority of people who voted for Biden last time are going to vote for Biden again. The vast majority of people who voted for Trump last time are going to vote for Trump again. The vast majority of people who didn’t vote last time aren’t going to vote this time. That’s the boring background to this.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

It seems pretty absurd that Biden could still be POTATUS in January 2029.

If he drops out now, it's presumably a brokered Democratic convention. There is no way the convention can set aside a woman of colour for a white man so Kamala.

If he is going to drop out then it's better that he steps aside now and lets #kamala4thepeople ascend the throne to give her the heft of Presidential incumbency in the campaign.

The advantage Harris has in a campaign is that DJT must be odds on to say something truly abhorrent about her that turns off independents.

She's dumb as all fuckery as far as I can see, but she's not a demented corpse like Biden and she's not a crazed weirdo like Trump, so she's an improvement on both. America can handle a dumb POTUS, she can appoint a clever VP (Buttigieg? Michelle Obama?? OBama????? - is that even legal?) and she can re-appoint smart Biden aides like Blinken

It's never actually been tested whether a two term president can be made VP. My view (which could easily be declared wrong)* is that he couldn't be a running mate, because he would not count as eligible to be President and the constitution specifically says a VP must be eligible to be POTUS.

There is however a loophole that a President can serve two years of a previous term of office and still run twice. So it could - in theory - be possible for Obama to become Harris' deputy were Biden to drop dead today if she then replaced him with someone else come the election.

*I think it would be confirmed for Obama. If it were Trump trying for a third term this way I'm much less confident the SCOTUS would say it...
    If she could appoint Barack Obama as VP I reckon she'd walk it, and win easily; it would give her ticket the gravitas she needs and Obama is relatively unWoke

But I have no clue on the legality of that
    He capitalises black in his books, but yes.
    Autocorrect does that too. Is autocorrect woke?
    Err mine doesn't (Android phone & word)

https://news.ucdenver.edu/is-the-b-in-black-capitalized-yes/
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

So which is it?
    This is just garbage.

LOL

If @Alanbrooke doesn't vote it doesn't mean that politics ups and completely transforms to a structure that he likes. It means that the person who gets most votes wins and your vote was not part of that so you have had no input into the democratic process. Which means you have opted out and hence are disqualified from comment on the outcome.

Since I live in one of the safest conservative seats in the country my vote is irrelevant on a pure de facto basis. As for disqualifiction what total garbage, the point of a democracy is voters can say what they want any time they want to.

I also note you still have avoided the who did you vote for in 2019 question.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

&
    JonWC said:

Post #54224

That's possibly true.

There is a relatively easy way of replacing him with Harris, but that is likely worse electorally.
    Yeah if he is going to be replaced, it'll be Harris. It's the leap people make (Some of them seemingly on Betfair) to Gavin Newsom and Michelle Obama that's utterly hilarious.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,207
    Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

Neither of them should be running.
    Indeed. But if it transpires these are the nominees. The one who takes a nap after his elevensies appears potentially less dangerous, and by a wide margin, than someone who has already attempted to overturn the Constitution.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

He's been shrieking the same post at us dozens of times since daybreak in Phnom Pen.

Both Trump and Biden are unsatisfactory as candidates, for different reasons.

If Biden runs, appears senile on seveal ocassions what are the odds of an independent Democrat leaning candidate running, taking votes from Biden. It may not be a case of swapping from Biden to Trump to hand victory to Trump.
    Hopefully a sane Republican leaning candidate would do the same to Trump.

American politics and America have an existential crisis if they proceed with these two as the main party candidates.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

So which is it?
    This is just garbage.

LOL

Since I live in one of the safest conservative seats in the country my vote is irrelevant on a pure de facto basis. As for disqualifiction what total garbage, the point of a democracy is voters can say what they want any time they want to.

Every vote is important. It is the foundation of our democracy. By opting out you opt out of any right to criticise or say anything about politics ever. I'm almost minded to exclude you from PB but you do post the occasional interesting thing.
  • Options
    Good morning

Watching Biden is excruciating and he seems to be getting worse

I am really sorry for him and his rapid decline, and hope he gets the correct advice to stand down and the care only a loving family can provide him

I also recognise his decline in some of our friends and it is very upsetting

However, he is the POTUS and the Democrats just have to replace him with someone who can beat Trump

At least with Biden you can sympathise, but with Trump you recoil in horror at the thought of his second coming
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

So which is it?
    This is just garbage.

LOL

Every vote is important. It is the foundation of our democracy. By opting out you opt out of any right to criticise or say anything about politics ever. I'm almost minded to exclude you from PB but you do post the occasional interesting thing.
    Well youre just having an early morning troll now. Thats the problem with you Boris voters you just cant stick with anything for that long.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    @Pulpstar - are you lumping on Biden as the Dem nominee? I don't follow this closely at all, but what I saw on the news this morning was someone who is, very sadly, losing his mind. I know why the Dems don't want to make a change, but I don't think they have much choice.
  • Options
    edited February 9
    Anyone know the timeframe for the SCOTUS decision on Trump v Anderson ?

Seeing as Colorado's GOP primary is March 5th I'd have thought sometime this month ? But that would be much quicker than normal. Interim stay of the Colorado judgement perhaps ?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

So which is it?
    This is just garbage.

LOL

Bet you're not.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Seems obvious to me that he was pushed on stage last night with a glass of whisky in one hand and revolver in the other. His spokeslady seemed pretty defeated in the clip I saw of her.

If it’s going to be Kamala then logically she’ll take over soon, so she has the poll boost of incumbency and “can you imagine X as president”. If senior party figures concede she’d likely lose to trump, then it’s a West Wing style convention, with Biden holding on in office until next Jan.

I’d lean towards option a) being more likely, because the people making the decision are the same idiots that thought a puppet Biden regime was a good idea to begin with.

• Options
    edited February 9
    tlg86 said:

@Pulpstar - are you lumping on Biden as the Dem nominee? I don't follow this closely at all, but what I saw on the news this morning was someone who is, very sadly, losing his mind. I know why the Dems don't want to make a change, but I don't think they have much choice.

I'm +£538.66 Biden / +£14.71 the field with Smarkets specifically for the nomination.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

So which is it?
    This is just garbage.

LOL

Bet you're not.
    Zing.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

So which is it?
    This is just garbage.

LOL

Well youre just having an early morning troll now. Thats the problem with you Boris voters you just cant stick with anything for that long.
    Only one troll here. If you get the opportunity to pick your local football team but decide not to, then you can't complain if they lose. If you have no say in the matter then fair enough. But if management ask you to pick the team and you say no then you should stfu about their performance.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    OT. Yesterday I recommended the brilliant documentary '20 days in Mariupol' which I described as 'the likely Oscar winner but a difficult watch' ..........

Well the morning after I'd amend that to 'a documentary that you might want to think twice about watching'.

It's pretty unbearable in parts and certain scenes are difficult to get out of your head
  • Options
    Roger said:

OT. Yesterday I recommended the brilliant documentary '20 days in Mariupol' which I described as 'the likely Oscar winner but a difficult watch' ..........

Well the morning after I'd amend that to 'a documentary that you might want to think twice about watching'.

It's pretty unbearable in parts and certain scenes are difficult to get out of your head

What's it on.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

You seem to be saying Trump is a demon and we shouldn't vote for him because he, personally, is likely to do mad things, while it's fine to vote in a senile Biden because his team will run the show. If you think the Rep team is as dreadful as Trump why the demonisation of Trump.
    Because he's a narcissistic asshole who doesn't have a 'team'.

If you can't tell the difference between someone clearly capable of delegating, and someone who clearly isn't, than we don't have much to talk about.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,002

Good morning

Watching Biden is excruciating and he seems to be getting worse

I am really sorry for him and his rapid decline, and hope he gets the correct advice to stand down and the care only a loving family can provide him

I also recognise his decline in some of our friends and it is very upsetting

However, he is the POTUS and the Democrats just have to replace him with someone who can beat Trump

At least with Biden you can sympathise, but with Trump you recoil in horror at the thought of his second coming

Good Morning everyone.
    As the other (one of the other?) very senior citizens here I agree wholeheartedly. I certainly agree that one sees the situation in friends nowadays, and, yes it is distressing. And yes, surely, surely there is a Democrat who can and indeed should replace him. The idea of a second Trump presidency is horrible.

On a different point, over the time I’ve been here, Ms Cyclefree has come and gone, depending on the subject discussed, and whatever was going on in her life.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Roger said:

What's it on.
    £2.99 on Amazon Prime.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    https://www.techneuk.com/tracker/

Our most recent poll, carried out on the 7th and 8th of February 2024, indicates minor changes in the political landscape. The Labour Party’s support has seen a slight decrease, while the Conservative Party has experienced a small uptick. The Liberal Democrats, Reform Party, Greens, SNP, and other parties have maintained their levels of support since our last poll.

The current figures, set against the previous poll from the 2nd February 2024, are as follows:

Lab 44% (-1)
    Cons 24% (+1)
    Lib Dems 10% (=)
    Reform 10% (=)
    Greens 6% (=)
    SNP 3% (=)
    Others 3% (=)

• Options
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Because he's a narcissistic asshole who doesn't have a 'team'.

If you can't tell the difference between someone clearly capable of delegating, and someone who clearly isn't, than we don't have much to talk about.
    You are always borderline not worth talking to but you seem in this instance to be missing the point.

You are saying Trump doesn't have a team. I disagree. I think he does have a team. He makes senior appointments and has a team around him and that's his team. If you genuinely think he has no one around him, like @Alanbrooke in the UK you disqualify yourself from being able to comment on US politics.

Either it is a team effort in which case it doesn't matter if Biden is gaga or you think Trump is a madman or it is a one-man band in which case it does matter in both instances.

Yours is a logic fail.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,252
    darkage said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

Quite so
  • Options

https://www.techneuk.com/tracker/

Our most recent poll, carried out on the 7th and 8th of February 2024, indicates minor changes in the political landscape. The Labour Party’s support has seen a slight decrease, while the Conservative Party has experienced a small uptick. The Liberal Democrats, Reform Party, Greens, SNP, and other parties have maintained their levels of support since our last poll.

The current figures, set against the previous poll from the 2nd February 2024, are as follows:

Lab 44% (-1)
    Cons 24% (+1)
    Lib Dems 10% (=)
    Reform 10% (=)
    Greens 6% (=)
    SNP 3% (=)
    Others 3% (=)

Swingback!
This discussion has been closed.