Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why Keir Starmer is the new Boris Johnson – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,911

SKS fans please explain
    Crewe Central (Cheshire East) Council By-Election Result:

CON: 43.3% (+19.8)
    LAB: 35.8% (-18.9)
    PCF: 16.5% (+1.2)
    WEP: 2.8% (New)
    GRN: 1.6% (New)

No RFM (-6.5) as previous.

Conservative GAIN from Labour.
    Changes w/ 2023.

Believe Labour had to supress their vote share as it had been rising to levels that did not meet their fiscal rules.
  • Options
    HarperHarper Posts: 197
    JUST IN: Vladimir Putin calls on the United States to negotiate with him and worry about its own problems like securing the border and national debt.

Putin also said politicians are brainwashing their citizens to gouge more money out of them to fund the war.

"Doesn't [the U.S.] have anything better to do? You have issues on the border. Issues with migration, issues with the national debt. More than $33 trillion."

"You have nothing better to do. So you should fight in Ukraine. Wouldn't it be better to negotiate with Russia? Make an agreement."

https://x.com/CollinRugg/status/1755739656308867327?s=20
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    Harper said:

https://x.com/jakesherman/status/1755687723212410891

The special counsel report says that Biden did not remember “even within several years” when his son beau biden died.

Just listening Sky reporting on this is scary and he is simply unfit for office

Not sure what this will do to the US elections later this year but a gift to Trump's supporters unfortunately
    I keep waiting for America to wake up. Biden is deteriorating badly. Trump has already deteriorated badly and is psychotic with it. And yet that is their choice. Neither will back down, neither party will accept that their man is bonkers.
    The best hope is that Biden gets the message (or is pushed) by the summer. A new emergency candidate is drafted in who gets a political honeymoon by being neither Biden or Trump
    I don't think a mere *candidate* would get a political honeymoon, especially if there was a lot of lingering intra-party bitterness about the stitch-up. Everyone would be out to get them from Day 1.

The way to give someone a political honeymoon is to stand down as *president* (or better still to die) but this only works if the emergency candidate is Kamala Harris. She would get a political honeymoon (first woman president!) and she'd have a chance to drive the media agenda and define herself in the way she needed to reach floating voters. But it's true she's not exactly made of charisma, and her *current* approval ratings aren't great.
    Met someone at the airport who said she was known as kamala "blowjob" harris.
    Right and in addition to that I'm sure she also has many other positive attributes that could be conveyed by a competent media team.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,201
    Harper said:

JUST IN: Russian President Vladimir Putin suggests the CIA blew up the Nord Stream pipeline during his interview with Tucker Carlson.

Putin also said the United States is one of the biggest sources of propaganda in the world.

Tucker: "Who blew up Nord Stream?"

Putin: "You for sure."

Tucker: "I was busy that day. I did not blow up Nord Stream."

Putin: "You personally may have an alibi, but the CIA has no such alibi."

https://x.com/CollinRugg/status/1755733046282826162?s=20

This is absurd: we know exactly who blew up Nordstream - it was the Ukrainians. Indeed, we even know the names of the specific Ukrainians who did it, and even the boat they used to it.

• Options
    1st 30 minutes of Putin interview unbelievably boring and likely to cause a mass turnoff as Carlson loses control of the interview.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Ouch.

Not what he wants in an election year - or at least, wouldn't be if the adversary were somebody reasonably young and sane instead of Trump.

Biden 'wilfully retained' classified files but will not be charged
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68245617

Mr Hur's report says that it would be difficult to convict Mr Biden of improper handling because "at trial, Mr Biden would likely present himself to a jury, as he did during our interview of him, as a sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory".

That really holes Biden below the waterline in terms of re-election.

It is a very polite way of calling him too senile to face trial.
    Well, it would. If his opponent wasn't Trump. Who is manifestly far more senile.

Again, if the Republicans wanted to win they'd select Haley. But they're so far gone they won't even vote for her when the orangutan isn't on the ballot.
    This is objectively wrong. Trump is not manifestly far more senile and he is ahead in the polls against Biden.
    Confusing Haley and Pelosi? Constantly confusing Biden and Obama!
    I don't think that misspeaking about contemporary political opponents is quite in the same category as having conversations with ghosts, but even if you disagree, you can't really argue that Trump is "far more" senile.
    You can, very easily.

All you need to do is actually look at what they've both been saying and doing and it becomes extremely easy.
    If you think Trump was nuts to begin with, how can you judge?
    I didn't think he was nuts to start with...just malign. I even thought he might not be much worse than Hilary Clinton, although I was wrong about that.
    Indeed: the day after the 2016 election, I posted to Facebook about how - while I wasn't the biggest Trump fan - it would all be fine.

I too was wrong.

I didn't appreciate the damage one man could to democratic norms in just four years.
    To what extent do you think the conspiracy theories aimed at undermining the legitimacy of his election contributed to the erosion of those norms?
    That's easy: none at all at all.

Trump started the erosion of democratic norms long before he was elected, and I was foolish to be blind to it. Look back at what Trump said and tweeted after losing Iowa in the primaries.
    Well you see if Trump wins hes a genius.
    If he loses its rigged.
    Trump doesnt lose you see.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162
    Harper said:

1st 30 minutes of Putin interview unbelievably boring and likely to cause a mass turnoff as Carlson loses control of the interview.

That implies there was stage when he had control surely?

He sold himself for a mass of pirate. Not even for Wales.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    Andy_JS said:

MikeL said:

Substantial movement today:

Nomination: Biden 1.43 (was 1.30 a few hours ago)

Presidency: Biden 3.8 (was 3.0 a few hours ago)

What's the reason for this? I haven't been following the news closely recently.
    To ensure a scrupulous impression of fairness Merrick Garland put a Federal Society guy in charge of the investigation of Biden's mishandling of classified documents. He recommended no charges as expected but couldn't resist throwing in a few talking points about Biden being very old and doddery.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,037
    Just finished s6 of Billions. Absolutely fantastic @Scott_xP @TheScreamingEagles

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022
    From the Telegraph

Biden to make surprise address
    Joe Biden will deliver a speech at 7.45pm (12:45am GMT), the White House has announced, in a last-minute addition to his schedule for the day.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,666

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    1h
    Friday’s FINANCIAL Times: “Starmer U-turn slashes £28bn yearly green spending promise to £4.7bn” #TomorrowsPapersToday

🤣.
    The FT may have made a huge error here. They are clearly acknowledging Labours now costed £23.5B green spending plan is £4.7B each year, but working on the understanding Labour had indeed clearly committed to £28B of new money every year for five years. The FT are saying they understood Labour committed to spending £140B over five years on the green schemes alone? Do they have evidence Labour clearly committed to new extra £28B every year?

The only way FT can justify this as a sane headline is telling us Labour committed to £28B of extra money every year - otherwise it would have been £28B divided by 5 = fig1 compared to £23.5B divided by 5 = fig2, not use £28B as was and now fig2. As now is, that’s just pure gobbledegook not making any sense at all.

So let’s take FT at face value, they know Labour committed to a £140B Green Deal over the term of the next Parliament.

So, over to Labour, According to Labour, as they now closer to the election and in discussion with civil servants I believe, finally publish proper details of the Green Plan, every original commitment is now exactly same, EXCEPT for the year on year amount on insulating UK has been reduced. This is surely Labour saying the £28B was a term cost, not £140B being the term cost?

And their Tory opponents who have been attacking them, Hunt costed Labours green plan as £1,500 extra in tax for every household (which the Express, much like The Mail, tell us won’t ever happen now Labour have abandoned their plans) was the £1,500 costed from the £28B term cost or £140B term cost?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    1h
    Friday’s FINANCIAL Times: “Starmer U-turn slashes £28bn yearly green spending promise to £4.7bn” #TomorrowsPapersToday

🤣.
    The FT may have made a huge error here. They are clearly acknowledging Labours now costed £23.5B green spending plan is £4.7B each year, but working on the understanding Labour had indeed clearly committed to £28B of new money every year for five years. The FT are saying they understood Labour committed to spending £140B over five years on the green schemes alone? Do they have evidence Labour clearly committed to new extra £28B every year?

The only way FT can justify this as a sane headline is telling us Labour committed to £28B of extra money every year - otherwise it would have been £28B divided by 5 = fig1 compared to £23.5B divided by 5 = fig2, not use £28B as was and now fig2. As now is, that’s just pure gobbledegook not making any sense at all.

So let’s take FT at face value, they know Labour committed to a £140B Green Deal over the term of the next Parliament.

So, over to Labour, According to Labour, as they now closer to the election and in discussion with civil servants I believe, finally publish proper details of the Green Plan, every original commitment is now exactly same, EXCEPT for the year on year amount on insulating UK has been reduced. This is surely Labour saying the £28B was a term cost, not £140B being the term cost?

And their Tory opponents who have been attacking them, Hunt costed Labours green plan as £1,500 extra in tax for every household (which the Express, much like The Mail, tell us won’t ever happen now Labour have abandoned their plans) was the £1,500 costed from the £28B term cost or £140B term cost?
    Quoted here are 28bn per year: https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2024/feb/08/labour-cuts-28bn-green-investment-pledge-by-half
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,019
    RobD said:

From the Telegraph

Joe Biden will deliver a speech at 7.45pm (12:45am GMT), the White House has announced, in a last-minute addition to his schedule for the day.

uh ho
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,250
    Biden was doing quite well until he started fielding questions from the press.
  • Options

Biden was doing quite well until he started fielding questions from the press.

Is he talking about how he likes ice cream?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,666
    edited February 9
    RobD said:

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    1h

🤣.

Quoted here are 28bn per year: https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2024/feb/08/labour-cuts-28bn-green-investment-pledge-by-half
    Did Labour commit to A £140B Green Deal in next Parliament, which FT has costed as just £23.5B now? Or B Labour commit to £28B in next Parliament which FT has costed as just £23.5B now?

The only way the headline can work is A.

From £28B to just £4.7B seems a very dramatic calculation, way off what others are saying.

And £28B a year (£140B over term of parliament) seems a ludicrous amount for anyone to defend.
  • Options
    Biden has just referred to President Sisi of Mexico...
  • Options

He see the future: that's a useful skill in a politician.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

He’s blown it:

https://x.com/greg_price11/status/1755761823360393688
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

He’s blown it:

Yep. It's over for Biden.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,941

SKS fans please explain
    Crewe Central (Cheshire East) Council By-Election Result:

CON: 43.3% (+19.8)
    LAB: 35.8% (-18.9)
    PCF: 16.5% (+1.2)
    WEP: 2.8% (New)
    GRN: 1.6% (New)

No RFM (-6.5) as previous.

Conservative GAIN from Labour.
    Changes w/ 2023.

Believe Labour had to supress their vote share as it had been rising to levels that did not meet their fiscal rules.

There is also a Lib Dem gain in Northampton and a PC gain in north Wales.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,111
    edited February 9
    Harper said:

I can't be bothered to watch any of it. I'll read the comments on here about it instead.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,026
    Andy_JS said:

Harper said:

I can't be bothered to watch any of it. I'll read the comments on here about it instead.
    There's a technical issue whereby it keeps skipping back to the start for me
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Harper said:

So far, only @Harper seems to have watched it.

It may not be the extraordinary viewing sensation that @Leon forecast.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,886
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Harper said:

So far, only @Harper seems to have watched it.

It may not be the extraordinary viewing sensation that @Leon forecast.
    Leondamus strikes again.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,338
    Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Harper said:

There's a technical issue whereby it keeps skipping back to the start for me
    Technical issue my arse. Every time that happens it adds another hundred to twitters fake viewing figures
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,537

rcs1000 said:

He’s blown it:

Instructive to find you follow a Trump supporter who considers Mike Pence a traitor…
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,717
    RobD said:

From the Telegraph

And it's a catastrophe. Biden shouting at reporters saying he's not senile.... then immediately confuses Mexico with Egypt

He's fucked. Biden is finished. That's it

The Dems have a stark choice, proceed with Biden and face a very probable defeat to Trump - or, indeed, anyone - or move very quick and replace him with Not Kamala Harris
  • Options
    Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

And it's a catastrophe. Biden shouting at reporters saying he's not senile.... then immediately confuses Mexico with Egypt

The Dems have a stark choice, proceed with Biden and face a very probable defeat to Trump - or, indeed, anyone - or move very quick and replace him with Not Kamala Harris
    Phew. His silly mistake didn’t matter as much as I thought it would.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

No, this is headline news everywhere.Biden seems to be getting worse daily now.

This is the New York Times, which is about the most pro-Biden and anti-Trump of major media outlets. This is their main story

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/02/08/us/biden-documents-trump-nevada-news

"In a hurriedly arranged nighttime televised appearance at the White House, a defiant Mr. Biden offered a feisty defense of his actions and his capacity to run the country, an effort to quell concerns that could hurt his chances for re-election at a time when polls show most voters already think he is too old. The report called him a “well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory,” a line that clearly got under the president’s skin.

“I’m well meaning, and I’m an elderly man, and I know what the hell I’m doing,” Mr. Biden told a Fox News reporter who asked him about the report after his statement. “My memory is so bad I let you speak.”

Mr. Biden was especially irked that the special counsel indicated that the president could not remember the year his elder son, Beau, died of cancer, a particularly sensitive subject for him. “How in the hell dare he raise that?” Mr. Biden said, sounding emotional.

But even as he sought to dispel suggestions that he might not be up for the job, he confused the presidents of Mexico and Egypt in response to a question about negotiations to release hostages held by Hamas, making exactly the kind of mistake that his staff presumably hoped he would avoid at a time when his mental acuity is being questioned."

THAT is disastrous, no two ways about it
  • Options
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

This is the New York Times, which is about the most pro-Biden and anti-Trump of major media outlets. This is their main story

"In a hurriedly arranged nighttime televised appearance at the White House, a defiant Mr. Biden offered a feisty defense of his actions and his capacity to run the country, an effort to quell concerns that could hurt his chances for re-election at a time when polls show most voters already think he is too old. The report called him a “well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory,” a line that clearly got under the president’s skin.

“I’m well meaning, and I’m an elderly man, and I know what the hell I’m doing,” Mr. Biden told a Fox News reporter who asked him about the report after his statement. “My memory is so bad I let you speak.”

Mr. Biden was especially irked that the special counsel indicated that the president could not remember the year his elder son, Beau, died of cancer, a particularly sensitive subject for him. “How in the hell dare he raise that?” Mr. Biden said, sounding emotional.

But even as he sought to dispel suggestions that he might not be up for the job, he confused the presidents of Mexico and Egypt in response to a question about negotiations to release hostages held by Hamas, making exactly the kind of mistake that his staff presumably hoped he would avoid at a time when his mental acuity is being questioned."

Like I say, it’s not disastrous.

I was getting a bit worried, until you said otherwise.

But, because of who his opponent is, I suppose I shouldn’t have been that worried. Trump’s mental faculties have not so much declined as imploded.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

Like I say, it’s not disastrous.

I was getting a bit worried, until you said otherwise.

But, because of who his opponent is, I suppose I shouldn’t have been that worried. Trump’s mental faculties have not so much declined as imploded.
    Try this. This is meant to be the good bit, where Biden is firm, defiant and angry

"Biden forgets the name of his beloved heirloom while trying to insist he isn’t suffering from memory loss."

https://x.com/MythinformedMKE/status/1755818268965720265?s=20

I actually lost count of the awkward stumbles and lacunae in that 1 minute of talking, his brain is turning to mush, live, on air, it is horrible to watch

And, btw, what the fuck is wrong with you? No one is shouting YAY Trump is brilliant hahahahahah Biden is gonna lose. We are pointing out what is painfully obvious - Biden is not up to it and his decline is now speedy, and accelerating, and it will not get better
  • Options
    The New York Times has changed its main story. It now begins thus:

"The decision on Thursday not to file criminal charges against President Biden for mishandling classified documents should have been an unequivocal legal exoneration.

Instead, it was a political disaster."

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/08/us/politics/biden-special-counsel-report-documents.html
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,392
    Leon said:

"The decision on Thursday not to file criminal charges against President Biden for mishandling classified documents should have been an unequivocal legal exoneration.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/08/us/politics/biden-special-counsel-report-documents.html

https://x.com/afneil/status/1755708533343990115?s=61
  • Options
    Taz said:

Leon said:

It's over for Biden. He either loses the election, or he pulls out beforehand

I'd have the second as the most likely - perhaps with his wife finally having a word?

I do not know enough about US party rules to say how this happens within the Dem party, but it is surely odds-on
  • Options
    Leon said:

a sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory

Even better than the Doctor's "Don't you think she looks tired?"
  • Options
    Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

I'd have the second as the most likely - perhaps with his wife finally having a word?

I do not know enough about US party rules to say how this happens within the Dem party, but it is surely odds-on
    It’s hard to see how he can tough this out. His memory will not get any better.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

From my sad personal experience of dementia (I'm sure most of us have these stories) one of its kinder features is that the demented person is not really aware of how bad it is. They accept they are "a bit forgetful", and "oh, I'm getting old and make mistakes, oh well" - they have no real clue they are deeply incoherent

Biden seems to be entering that stage maybe. He honestly believes he is basically fine, "Yes I'm an elderly man but I'm getting on with the job!" - but the rest of the world looks on in horror, because he is POTUS

Cue: Michelle Obama? Buttigieg?
  • Options
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

It’s hard to see how he can tough this out. His memory will not get any better.
    Biden brilliantly stealing Carlson-Putin's limelight by pretending to be senile!
  • Options
    I went to Twitter, just to see if Elon would make sure the Putin interview was on my front page...

And - quelle surprise - it was.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,075
    It seems pretty absurd that Biden could still be POTATUS in January 2029.

If he drops out now, it's presumably a brokered Democratic convention. There is no way the convention can set aside a woman of colour for a white man so Kamala.

If he is going to drop out then it's better that he steps aside now and lets #kamala4thepeople ascend the throne to give her the heft of Presidential incumbency in the campaign.

The advantage Harris has in a campaign is that DJT must be odds on to say something truly abhorrent about her that turns off independents.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

From my sad personal experience of dementia (I'm sure most of us have these stories) one of its kinder features is that the demented person is not really aware of how bad it is. They accept they are "a bit forgetful", and "oh, I'm getting old and make mistakes, oh well" - they have no real clue they are deeply incoherent

Biden seems to be entering that stage maybe. He honestly believes he is basically fine, "Yes I'm an elderly man but I'm getting on with the job!" - but the rest of the world looks on in horror, because he is POTUS

I remember Biden feeling the need to say he would be a "bridge" to the next generation of democrat leaders when he was running in the primaries 4 years ago. Time for him to honour that promise. (Of course at that time the alternative was Bernie Samders now 82).
  • Options
    Have Putin's ramblings sent @Harper to sleep? I was hoping for a 2 line summary of that boring interview
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

If he drops out now, it's presumably a brokered Democratic convention. There is no way the convention can set aside a woman of colour for a white man so Kamala.

If he is going to drop out then it's better that he steps aside now and lets #kamala4thepeople ascend the throne to give her the heft of Presidential incumbency in the campaign.

The advantage Harris has in a campaign is that DJT must be odds on to say something truly abhorrent about her that turns off independents.

Jimmy Carter's still available
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,192
    kamski said:

Have Putin's ramblings sent @Harper to sleep? I was hoping for a 2 line summary of that boring interview

From the Independent's coverage, a 2-line summary would be:

Putin: "It's all someone else's fault."
    Carlson: "I agree."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/tucker-carlson-putin-full-interview-when-time-b2492651.html
  • Options
    kamski said:

Dura_Ace said:

But if you don't want a white man, why not Warnock?
  • Options
    So, Tucker Carlson failed to surprise on the upside then?
  • Options
  • Options
    edited February 9
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

My experience of taking someone's car keys away in that situation is not positive. The US Presidency is even more precious than the BMW on the drive.

Would be kinder to do mandatory driving tests at 70/80/90 than put a family through that. This Special Counsel's report was that test, and Biden has ignored the result.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

As some bright spark on X said, Bidens memory is better than ‘I do not recall’ Sunak.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

As some bright spark on X said, Bidens memory is better than ‘I do not recall’ Sunak.
    I thought that was Sturgeon?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

That's real leadership - being open and frank about your memory issues.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Also, would Kamala be that bad?

She's dumb as all fuckery as far as I can see, but she's not a demented corpse like Biden and she's not a crazed weirdo like Trump, so she's an improvement on both. America can handle a dumb POTUS, she can appoint a clever VP (Buttigieg? Michelle Obama?? OBama????? - is that even legal?) and she can re-appoint smart Biden aides like Blinken

• Options
    Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

That's real leadership - being open and frank about your memory issues.
    I think she forgot that bit.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,150
    If Biden and Trump are the best candidates a nation of 330 million human beings can muster, it's high time the machines took over.
  • Options
    Chris said:

If Biden and Trump are the best candidates a nation of 330 million human beings can muster, it's high time the machines took over.

I've made this point before. It is honestly arguable that GPT4 might be a better president than either Biden or Trump
  • Options
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

She's dumb as all fuckery as far as I can see, but she's not a demented corpse like Biden and she's not a crazed weirdo like Trump, so she's an improvement on both. America can handle a dumb POTUS, she can appoint a clever VP (Buttigieg? Michelle Obama?? OBama????? - is that even legal?) and she can re-appoint smart Biden aides like Blinken

It's never actually been tested whether a two term president can be made VP. My view (which could easily be declared wrong)* is that he couldn't be a running mate, because he would not count as eligible to be President and the constitution specifically says a VP must be eligible to be POTUS.

There is however a loophole that a President can serve two years of a previous term of office and still run twice. So it could - in theory - be possible for Obama to become Harris' deputy were Biden to drop dead today if she then replaced him with someone else come the election.

*I think it would be confirmed for Obama. If it were Trump trying for a third term this way I'm much less confident the SCOTUS would say it...
  • Options
    Chris said:

To misquote Blade Runner:

'Are you testing whether I'm an android, or a lunatic?'
  • Options
    Could be worse, could have rattled on for two hours to a sycophant about why it was relevant to reunify the lands of William the Conqueror.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

It's never actually been tested whether a two term president can be made VP. My view (which could easily be declared wrong)* is that he couldn't be a running mate, because he would not count as eligible to be President and the constitution specifically says a VP must be eligible to be POTUS.

There is however a loophole that a President can serve two years of a previous term of office and still run twice. So it could - in theory - be possible for Obama to become Harris' deputy were Biden to drop dead today if she then replaced him with someone else come the election.

*I think it would be confirmed for Obama. If it were Trump trying for a third term this way I'm much less confident the SCOTUS would say it...
    If she could appoint Barack Obama as VP I reckon she'd walk it, and win easily; it would give her ticket the gravitas she needs and Obama is relatively unWoke

But I have no clue on the legality of that
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,022
    kamski said:

kamski said:

Dura_Ace said:

But if you don't want a white man, why not Warnock?
    Just been appointed by Aberdeen, so not available for this rescue mission I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Could be worse, could have rattled on for two hours to a sycophant about why it was relevant to reunify the lands of William the Conqueror.

Putin is able to talk coherently and intelligently about Russian history from 1300 to the present, off the cuff, with no apparent cue cards, no assistance, no stumbles. Might be boring as shit, like some crap lecture at a mediocre university, but he can do it

Biden can't go ten seconds of a press conference without mistaking Mexico for Egypt and claiming he just had supper with Abraham Lincoln

It is not a great comparison for the USA
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,380
    edited February 9
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

From my sad personal experience of dementia, angry denial is a stage, particularly if the person was a strong and highly capable personality previously. If that's a thing for that person, it gets stronger as the dementia 'progresses'.
  • Options
    edited February 9
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

If she could appoint Barack Obama as VP I reckon she'd walk it, and win easily; it would give her ticket the gravitas she needs and Obama is relatively unWoke

I think the truth is the Democrats are scared of Trump. They're unnerved by his beating Clinton and seem to have convinced themselves only Biden can have the stopping of him.

Well, they're right to be scared of him in one sense because he is such a vile and dangerous human being, a criminal and a man who openly avows his desire to be a dictator.

But he's also an incredibly weak candidate. He's old, he's suffering from extraordinary mental lapses, his business is about to be shut down due to longstanding fraud, he's facing multiple trials and he was a dud President when he was in.

I think it most unlikely that any realistic candidate the Dems put up would lose to him. That includes Harris. Certainly it includes Newsom or Whitmer.

But - difficult to do without Biden's co-operation and he's not co-operating.

I think he will still win, very easily, as Trump is stumbling so often and so bizarrely no attack line on Biden's mental faculties is going to stand up for anyone other than MAGA diehards. But it's a mistake.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,075
    Leon said:

Kamala gets no love on here but if she passed the Ukraine Purity Test then the pb.com 6Music Centrist Dads would soon be on board.

She's just a standard American hegemonist and defender of Capital. She would provide a starker contrast with DJT through dint not being a gaga old white man enslaved by his own vanity, which both Biden and Trump are.
  • Options
    edited February 9
    Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Putin is able to talk coherently and intelligently about Russian history from 1300 to the present, off the cuff, with no apparent cue cards, no assistance, no stumbles. Might be boring as shit, like some crap lecture at a mediocre university, but he can do it

Biden can't go ten seconds of a press conference without mistaking Mexico for Egypt and claiming he just had supper with Abraham Lincoln

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Putin was prattling on like myriad despots before him.

If you want to see what an articulate politician looks like, you should look closer to home. Labour has some serious talent.

https://x.com/johnestevens/status/1755718686340436271?s=20
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,750
    A
    rcs1000 said:

Harper said:

JUST IN: Russian President Vladimir Putin suggests the CIA blew up the Nord Stream pipeline during his interview with Tucker Carlson.

Putin also said the United States is one of the biggest sources of propaganda in the world.

This is absurd: we know exactly who blew up Nordstream - it was the Ukrainians. Indeed, we even know the names of the specific Ukrainians who did it, and even the boat they used to it.

The Putinist view of Ukraine is that they don’t really exist - it’s West Russia. Denying them agency is SOP. A tell for the pro Russia types is that they talk in terms of Zelensky being given orders by the US or EU.

The other thing the conspiracy minded can’t stand is that it didn’t take much resources to do. The water wasn’t especially deep - a handful of ex-oil industry divers could have easily done it.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Putin is giving a mythos of Russian history that suits his own ends.
  • Options

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

From my sad personal experience of dementia, angry denial is a stage, particularly if the person was a strong and highly capable personality previously. If that's a thing for that person, it gets stronger as the dementia 'progresses'.
    Good point, I have also heard of that phenomenon

If you're right, Biden may be heading down that road, judging by that catastrophic press conference - that's possibly even worse than the intense memory loss
  • Options

A

rcs1000 said:

Harper said:

The Putinist view of Ukraine is that they don’t really exist - it’s West Russia. Denying them agency is SOP. A tell for the pro Russia types is that they talk in terms of Zelensky being given orders by the US or EU.

The other thing the conspiracy minded can’t stand is that it didn’t take much resources to do. The water wasn’t especially deep - a handful of ex-oil industry divers could have easily done it.
    However there is no way Ukraine (or any western power, including the UK) would have done this without, at least, a green light from America

Because it is so, er, explosive. The German economy has been fucked by this

Probably Ukraine did it, with the approval of the USA (who kept publicly promising to end Nordstream, remember) and maybe a little assistance from UK, Poland, Baltics?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,026
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

He capitalises black in his books, but yes.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

I think the truth is the Democrats are scared of Trump. They're unnerved by his beating Clinton and seem to have convinced themselves only Biden can have the stopping of him.

Well, they're right to be scared of him in one sense because he is such a vile and dangerous human being, a criminal and a man who openly avows his desire to be a dictator.

But he's also an incredibly weak candidate. He's old, he's suffering from extraordinary mental lapses, his business is about to be shut down due to longstanding fraud, he's facing multiple trials and he was a dud President when he was in.

I think it most unlikely that any realistic candidate the Dems put up would lose to him. That includes Harris. Certainly it includes Newsom or Whitmer.

But - difficult to do without Biden's co-operation and he's not co-operating.

I think he will still win, very easily, as Trump is stumbling so often and so bizarrely no attack line on Biden's mental faculties is going to stand up for anyone other than MAGA diehards. But it's a mistake.
    I agree with you until that last paragraph. Yes the Dems are far too scared of Trump. The Donald is a seriously poor candidate, with his own cognitive issues, and a whole ton of legal shit hanging around him

However you are wilfully ignoring Biden's obvious and now massive problem. He has dementia. It is now so blatant they cannot hide it. Remember, this investigators into his hoarding of documents have concluded that it is not worth prosecuting him BECAUSE he would win over a jury by arguing he is senile

This is the POTUS!

I wouldn't be surprised if he actually snuffs it this year, he looks so bad. Clearly, I do not wish this, but you just have to look at him
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Kamala gets no love on here but if she passed the Ukraine Purity Test then the pb.com 6Music Centrist Dads would soon be on board.

She's just a standard American hegemonist and defender of Capital. She would provide a starker contrast with DJT through dint not being a gaga old white man enslaved by his own vanity, which both Biden and Trump are.
    I don't get the disdain for Kamala Harris. I don't know whether or not she is presidential material but she seems inoffensive enough. I hasten to add I never listen to music and am neither a centrist nor a Dad.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

I don't get the disdain for Kamala Harris. I don't know whether or not she is presidential material but she seems inoffensive enough. I hasten to add I never listen to music and am neither a centrist nor a Dad.
    She seems to be genuinely dim. Says inane and stupid things

But who cares. She is sane, she can delegate, she can get a good VP
  • Options
    Leon said:

Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

The problem is she's unpopular, and does even worse than Biden in head to head polling vs Trump. Maybe she would get a honeymoon, maybe actually being president would give her a boost, but she doesn't look like such a great option.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

It seems being dim and saying inane and stupid things is quite important in US politics at the upper level
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,893
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

The centrists dont mind Kamala, apart from the fact that she is unelectable and that makes a Trump certainty. Quite why she is unelectable not obvious, probably partly being Californian, partly sexism, partly racism and primarily not connecting to a wide enough cross section of US society.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

It seems being dim and saying inane and stupid things is quite important in US politics at the upper level
    It goes all the way down too, the House is even worse!
  • Options
    kamski said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

The problem is she's unpopular, and does even worse than Biden in head to head polling vs Trump. Maybe she would get a honeymoon, maybe actually being president would give her a boost, but she doesn't look like such a great option.
    I wouldn't dispute that. I am deferring to experts on US politics, on this site, who say it is - in terms of practical politics- very diffiult to get round her, as a candidate, because the VP is the next obvious choice - and she is a black woman

Perhaps she too can be persuaded to step back
  • Options
    Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

You keep doing this. Nobody who's concern is "Biden is senile" is then going to decide to vote for Trump - who is senile and demented.

Everything you say about Biden *is also true* about Trump. You point to the huge problem with the dem candidate saying nothing about how the gop candidate has the same problem.

If you are a Trump supporter like luckyguy just say so. Stop dancing round your handbag.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

I wouldn't dispute that. I am deferring to experts on US politics, on this site, who say it is - in terms of practical politics- very diffiult to get round her, as a candidate, because the VP is the next obvious choice - and she is a black woman

Lets assume both Biden and Harris can be persuaded to step back.

You now have twenty odd senior people, who don't agree and represent different constituencies within the party thinking it should be them, or at the very least their close allies.

What next?
  • Options
    edited February 9

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

You keep doing this. Nobody who's concern is "Biden is senile" is then going to decide to vote for Trump - who is senile and demented.

Everything you say about Biden *is also true* about Trump. You point to the huge problem with the dem candidate saying nothing about how the gop candidate has the same problem.

If you are a Trump supporter like luckyguy just say so. Stop dancing round your handbag.
    Oh FFS. This piffling drivel is why I am close to quitting PB

In this fucking thread I say Trump is a "crazed weirdo", and I also say he is a "seriously poor candidate, with his own cognitive issues, and a ton of legal shit hanging around", I also say that GPT4 could be a better president than him, and much else. Look, it's there, right there, just below this

That's all in the last hour. If you can't be bothered to read threads then don't fucking comment on them
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,658

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

Anyway, it's obvious that the next phase will be "ugh, can't have Alternative Democrat as President, they have Woke Cooties".
  • Options
    Leon said:

Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

(Snip)
    Have you and Kamala Harris ever been seen in the same room?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

In this fucking thread I say Trump is a "crazed weirdo", and I also say he is a "seriously poor candidate, with his own cognitive issues, and a ton of legal shit hanging around", I also say that GPT4 could be a better president than him, and much else. Look, it's there, right there, just below this

That's all in the last hour. If you can't be bothered to read threads then don't fucking comment on them
    So, Biden is preferable to Trump, right?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,530
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

I'm a centrist dad and I endorse this message.

(But I don't listen to 6 music, so what do I know? Also I endorse any message on support of just about anyone who isn't Trump)
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

Can we have metrics on how close you are to quitting? Maybe sign off each post with a number between 0 (definitely staying) and 100 (my last post, ever, really, well at least til my comeback). We are all absolutely fascinated by it and love the constant commentary. Your biggest fan, noneoftheabove.

• Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

I've read it. All of it. And yet you still lean into Biden in ways you just airily dismiss when its Trump.

Anyway, the dems need a new candidate and do some Stupid Shit when it comes to selection. Funny that Michelle "I am not running" Obama keeps rising in the betting. Why is that? Can they pressgang someone into running?

As for the republicans, Boris is available and waiting their call.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

I was about to give you a long thoughtful answer repeating my polar bear on the ice floe analogy but you know what, fuck it, why should I bother

PB you really have to up your game, this is desperate now
  • Options

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

You don't have to be a Trump supporter to recognise that Biden is in a sorry state, and the process appears to be accelerating. There is no chance of him attending a debate, and he will make endless gaffes on the campaign trail.

Some of this is relative expectation - he is supposed to be the sane one, after all.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

Can we have metrics on how close you are to quitting? Maybe sign off each post with a number between 0 (definitely staying) and 100 (my last post, ever, really, well at least til my comeback). We are all absolutely fascinated by it and love the constant commentary. Your biggest fan, noneoftheabove.

You're welcome
  • Options
    Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From the Telegraph

I was about to give you a long thoughtful answer repeating my polar bear on the ice floe analogy but you know what, fuck it, why should I bother

PB you really have to up your game, this is desperate now
    Surprised you can answer a straight question, arguably THE question in politics this year.
  • Options
    I note that @Cyclefree has apparently departed

Well done, PB, well done
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,204
    Selebian said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

I'm a centrist dad and I endorse this message.

(But I don't listen to 6 music, so what do I know? Also I endorse any message on support of just about anyone who isn't Trump)
    I am a centrist dad. My wife keeps changing the car radio to 6 Music when she is driving and I have to change it back to Magic. Does this make me a Magic Centrist Dad?
  • Options

Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Lets assume both Biden and Harris can be persuaded to step back.

You now have twenty odd senior people, who don't agree and represent different constituencies within the party thinking it should be them, or at the very least their close allies.

What next?
    Double standards are at play. We have seen Trump do all of the dementia stuff that Biden has done. Display the same physical frailties. With the added neo-fascism on top.

For whatever reason, tens of millions of Americans want fascism - war against the foreigner and minorities and un-Christian womenfolk. When that is the target audience it doesn't matter that Trump is a drooling lunatic.

This then is the flip side. Neither of them can lead alone. Too old, too far gone. So its a question of do you want to install the NSGOP and transform America into Gilead, or do you want to stop that?

The reason why the dems are clinging to Biden in fear and panic is because they simply do not know how to combat American fascism. Any alternative candidate would need to have that kind of magnetic personality and they just don't have anyone. It is as much their failure as it is the GOP's.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,533
    edited February 9
    I do think Biden is in decline, and I do think the Democrats should find another candidate, but I do think he would beat Trump despite all this.

The time to bow out was several months ago though, so a withdrawal would be chaotic and complex given the fact the primaries are upon us. That suggests that unless the Party were to coalesce around AN Other, that person is going to be Kamala Harris. She’s there, she’s next in line, and it’s easier and less contentious to pass the baton to her than risk a period of infighting while Trump reigns supreme as the challenger.

She is however a sub-optimal choice and a real dice roll, because her polling is bad. She may benefit from a honeymoon period where people reevaluate her, and she may “surprise on the upside” but we’ve heard that one before and it’s not guaranteed. A gamble, therefore.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,204
    Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

He capitalises black in his books, but yes.
    Autocorrect does that too. Is autocorrect woke?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,750
    edited February 9
    Leon said:

A

rcs1000 said:

Harper said:

However there is no way Ukraine (or any western power, including the UK) would have done this without, at least, a green light from America

Because it is so, er, explosive. The German economy has been fucked by this

Probably Ukraine did it, with the approval of the USA (who kept publicly promising to end Nordstream, remember) and maybe a little assistance from UK, Poland, Baltics?
    Why would they need assistance? I’ll repeat - diving in a couple of hundred feet of water is advanced amateur stuff. *PADI* do multi gas qualifications, FFS.

The siting of the pipelines is marked on marine charts, to try and stop people dragging anchors over them.

A pipeline shows up on a cheap fish finding sonar.

You can buy the watertight enclosures to put your explosives in, in any dive shop.

Why would they need to ask permission? History is full of allies forgetting to tell each other stuff like this.

And that assumes that this was approved at a national level. The resources required - hire a boat, a half dozen divers and their toys - are a club weekend dive. Up to the bit where they plant boxes of explosives.
This discussion has been closed.