Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why Keir Starmer is the new Boris Johnson – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283
    Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    4m
    Friday’s GUARDIAN: “Fury as Starmer stages U-turn on £28bn green investment pledge” #TomorrowsPapersToday
  • Options
    You don't see the word 'fury' on Guardian front page too often.

Whereas the Mail...
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,360
    So literally the only reason to vote for Biden would be that he’s not Trump.

Christ. Poor country.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,562

https://x.com/jakesherman/status/1755687723212410891

The special counsel report says that Biden did not remember “even within several years” when his son beau biden died.

Just listening Sky reporting on this is scary and he is simply unfit for office

Not sure what thus will do to the US elections later this year but a gift to Trump's supporters unfortunately
    Hope you are feeling better and on the mend, also visa versa.

PBers are making way toooooooo much out of the very special statement issued by the very special prosector - a former Trump appointee - re: non-indictment of Joe Biden.

This guy was picked to give DOJ some credibility in investigating POTUS.

Hur jazzed up his very special statement, to help his cause with the (he clearly hopes) 2nd Trump Administration.
    Thank you and the pacemaker responded immediately and is amazing

However, post operation recovery is slow and the doctors asked to be cautious for the next 6 weeks as the 2 leads grow muscle and become secure in the heart

Maybe Sky are making a meal of it but to the listener it was very damning
    Gosh Big G, I didn't realise Sky were covering your progress - sorry it was damning, but it sounds like you're doing brilliantly in reality.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883
    biggles said:

So literally the only reason to vote for Biden would be that he’s not Trump.

Christ. Poor country.

There are some on here who might argue the only reason to vote for Sunak is he isn't Starmer.
  • Options

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    8m
    Friday’s Daily MAIL: “Can You Ever Believe A Word Sir U-Turn Says?”
    #TomorrowsPapersToday

===

How f*cking predictable was this Labour strategy kids?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,281

The special counsel report says that Biden did not remember “even within several years” when his son beau biden died.

Not sure what this will do to the US elections later this year but a gift to Trump's supporters unfortunately
    It's not great, but we have significantly more compelling material on Trump's faux pas.

More importantly Trump is infinitely more dangerous.

Both would struggle to name who was the British Prime Minister in 2022.
    Well, there were three of them. All too easy to forget.
    That was my point Al.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971

Not sure what this will do to the US elections later this year but a gift to Trump's supporters unfortunately
    I keep waiting for America to wake up. Biden is deteriorating badly. Trump has already deteriorated badly and is psychotic with it. And yet that is their choice. Neither will back down, neither party will accept that their man is bonkers.
    It is unbelievable really, they seem like they should be guest stars hanging out with Frasier’s Dad in Dukes bar. They’re actually too old for that!

How can neither party have a 40 or 50 something available to beat these geriatrics?

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,388

I keep waiting for America to wake up. Biden is deteriorating badly. Trump has already deteriorated badly and is psychotic with it. And yet that is their choice. Neither will back down, neither party will accept that their man is bonkers.
    The best hope is that Biden gets the message (or is pushed) by the summer. A new emergency candidate is drafted in who gets a political honeymoon by being neither Biden or Trump
    Agreed. Who is the emergency candidate?

This election is basically a rerun of the last one. An awful lot of people will make a special effort to repel Jean Marie le Pen regardless of whether they like the democrat candidate.

But that candidate needs to be credible. Who? Genuine question, I think America is sinking fast so have stopped watching the details.
    It's a good example of the superior flexibility of a parliamentary system. Harris is the elected VP so it's almost impossible for there to be an alternative incumbent.
    The very binary outcome of a Presidential election is also ill-suited to dealing with a deeply divided country. Too much is at stake at the result of narrow margins.
  • Options
    Tomorrow's newspaper headlines may not be too good for labour
  • Options

Not half.
  • Options
    Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    1h
    Friday’s FINANCIAL Times: “Starmer U-turn slashes £28bn yearly green spending promise to £4.7bn” #TomorrowsPapersToday
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,919

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    4m
    Friday’s GUARDIAN: “Fury as Starmer stages U-turn on £28bn green investment pledge” #TomorrowsPapersToday

"Fury"
  • Options

Nobody will care - and that will drive the Tory press absolutely potty.

Remember the play - Labour had an uncosted pledge and no plan. So they rework the policy to drop the uncosted bit. The "Sir U-Turn" is because he just stepped out of their trap.

Out there in normal world this will not lose them a single vote. Normals look at the state of the economy and public services and how tight things are, and don't think £28k on green is the priority anyway.
  • Options

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    8m
    #TomorrowsPapersToday

===

I'm not as negative as you. The Green plans are still in place. It's just the number 28 billion that has been ditched, which is an acknowledgement that it was an error to use that number back in 2021. It will soon be forgotten.
    But, of course, Starmer will have to deal with the Mr. U-turn allegation. The government doesn't have clean hands on that, though. HS2, among many others.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,281
    stodge said:

Huge mistake by Starmer.

Sunak making hay. Labour basically accepting that Sunak is right and they dont have a plan and this is not a change election.

I think that's a stretch and a half to say the least.

We don't even know the detail of Labour's plans - we don't know the detail of the Conservative plans for the next five years either.

Starmer is playing the game straight out of the Mandelson playbook - reassure the disillusioned and wavering ex-Conservative voters his Government won't do anything too radical or too quickly. He is interested in the Conservative Don't Knows of whom OGH so often speaks.

It's all abour reassuring those who still see Labour as "dangerous". Yes, they want change but not too much and not too quickly.
    It's a big misstep. Not so much the row back on policy which can be justified for fiscal reasons but the mechanics of the change have been poorly executed.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,925
    Labour deserve to see their vote share in polling fall below 40% . Starmer needs to get a grip !
  • Options

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    8m
    #TomorrowsPapersToday

===

I'm not as negative as you. The Green plans are still in place. It's just the number 28 billion that has been ditched, which is an acknowledgement that it was an error to use that number back in 2021. It will soon be forgotten.
    But, of course, Starmer will have to deal with the Mr. U-turn allegation. The government doesn't have clean hands on that, though. HS2, among many others.
    That is the comedy with the Tory attack line. Mr U-Turn attacking Sir U-Turn...
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,360
    stodge said:

Huge mistake by Starmer.

Sunak making hay. Labour basically accepting that Sunak is right and they dont have a plan and this is not a change election.

I think that's a stretch and a half to say the least.

We don't even know the detail of Labour's plans - we don't know the detail of the Conservative plans for the next five years either.

Starmer is playing the game straight out of the Mandelson playbook - reassure the disillusioned and wavering ex-Conservative voters his Government won't do anything too radical or too quickly. He is interested in the Conservative Don't Knows of whom OGH so often speaks.

It's all abour reassuring those who still see Labour as "dangerous". Yes, they want change but not too much and not too quickly.
    Yes it’s the winning Labour strategy, always has been and always will be. It also contains the germ of the future Labour splits as the left start to form a “betrayal” narrative. It’s the mirror image of every popular, united Tory win sowing the seeds of a “betrayal” narrative on the right.

Those splits don’t kill either party, but they create the instability that lets the opposition look credible, just as the government gets tired.
  • Options

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    8m
    #TomorrowsPapersToday

===

" It will soon be forgotten."

I dont think so.

We will see soon in the focus groups and polling.

I think the 'u-turn' tag will now be raised far more by wavering tory-lab switchers.

They are looking for a reason to stick with Sunak as much as they are looking for a reason to 'change'.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    glw said:

People who point out that Biden is no longer up to the job of President but ignore the far greater evidence of Donald's total unsuitability to do the same are arguing in bad faith. I have no time for Trump defenders of any sort.
    I don't either. Wouldn't piss on them. However I do think Joe takes a big risk if he runs for the 2nd term. The risk is he's not up to the campaign and therefore lets in the rank catastrophe of Trump2. Better to bow out in favour of another candidate. I think this might well happen.

That said, I also think Donald Trump is no cert to be the GOP candidate. Certainly nothing like his odds imply. I know most people think the Trump Biden rematch is a made fight but I really don't. I expect at least one of them not to be on the ballot in November and it won't shock me one iota if neither are.
  • Options

Remember the play - Labour had an uncosted pledge and no plan. So they rework the policy to drop the uncosted bit. The "Sir U-Turn" is because he just stepped out of their trap.

Out there in normal world this will not lose them a single vote. Normals look at the state of the economy and public services and how tight things are, and don't think £28k on green is the priority anyway.
    It will lose votes to the Greens. Maybe not masses but certainly not no votes.

• Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,530

It's not great, but we have significantly more compelling material on Trump's faux pas.

More importantly Trump is infinitely more dangerous.

Both would struggle to name who was the British Prime Minister in 2022.
    Well, there were three of them. All too easy to forget.
    If only...
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited February 8

The best hope is that Biden gets the message (or is pushed) by the summer. A new emergency candidate is drafted in who gets a political honeymoon by being neither Biden or Trump
    I don't think a mere *candidate* would get a political honeymoon, especially if there was a lot of lingering intra-party bitterness about the stitch-up. Everyone would be out to get them from Day 1.

The way to give someone a political honeymoon is to stand down as *president* (or better still to die) but this only works if the emergency candidate is Kamala Harris. She would get a political honeymoon (first woman president!) and she'd have a chance to drive the media agenda and define herself in the way she needed to reach floating voters. But it's true she's not exactly made of charisma, and her *current* approval ratings aren't great.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,501
    Ha ha ha 😂 UK newspaper front pages are all over the place on Starmer’s non existent U turn!

FT has it down from £28B to just £4.7B (they can neither read or do maths?) the “i” says he’s halved it, the Guardian down to £15B, the poor Mail has fallen into the Elephant Trap - and claim he has ditched the lot! 🤣
  • Options

Possibly. But again, if you're Green but not totally committed to vote Green, as many are, which of the two parties that could form the next government has the greenest policies?
    I do, though, accept that this could help the Greens hold on to Caroline Lucas's seat.
  • Options

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    1h
    Friday’s FINANCIAL Times: “Starmer U-turn slashes £28bn yearly green spending promise to £4.7bn” #TomorrowsPapersToday

🤣.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,375
    viewcode said:

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    4m

"Fury"
    Saving Private Ryan was better!
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,230

Ha ha ha 😂 UK newspaper front pages are all over the place on Starmer’s non existent U turn!

FT has it down from £28B to just £4.7B (they can neither read or do maths?) the “i” says he’s halved it, the Guardian down to £15B, the poor Mail has fallen into the Elephant Trap - and claim he has ditched the lot! 🤣

Was it supposed to be £28bn extra or £28bn total anyway?
  • Options

The important thing is that hardly anyone reads the papers these days. Which is part of what sends journalists potty.

And the awkward bit is done now, probably neatly sandwiched between two bits of bad news for the government that hardly anyone will notice.

Better out than in, as they say
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,490
    I will vote for Starmer at the next GE and I want the Tories out.

But he has fumbled this one. And he is showing a lack of political courage. It does concern me. We need change. Labour need to be confident enough to offer it.
  • Options

It will not. Green voters need to pay their bills and use public services. In the seats that count they are not going to switch Green because of this and let the Tory stay in. They're just not. I know we have BJO on here cheering the Tories on from the Green camp. But he isn't a usual voter...
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797

I don't think a mere *candidate* would get a political honeymoon, especially if there was a lot of lingering intra-party bitterness about the stitch-up. Everyone would be out to get them from Day 1.

The way to give someone a political honeymoon is to stand down as *president* (or better still to die) but this only works if the emergency candidate is Kamala Harris. She would get a political honeymoon (first woman president!) and she'd have a chance to drive the media agenda and define herself in the way she needed to reach floating voters. But it's true she's not exactly made of charisma, and her *current* approval ratings aren't great.
    isam said:

It is unbelievable really, they seem like they should be guest stars hanging out with Frasier’s Dad in Dukes bar. They’re actually too old for that!

How can neither party have a 40 or 50 something available to beat these geriatrics?

It was very unfortunate that DeSantis was unsuccessful.
  • Options
    Lack of certainty and flip-flopping is hitting business sentiment tonight over Lab's investment plans says Ben Chu on Newsnight.

• Options
    HarperHarper Posts: 197
    glw said:

People who point out that Biden is no longer up to the job of President but ignore the far greater evidence of Donald's total unsuitability to do the same are arguing in bad faith. I have no time for Trump defenders of any sort.
    Yes but Trump still has energy. Biden doesnt.
  • Options

It will not. Green voters need to pay their bills and use public services. In the seats that count they are not going to switch Green because of this and let the Tory stay in. They're just not. I know we have BJO on here cheering the Tories on from the Green camp. But he isn't a usual voter...
    Your words were "will not lose a single vote".

Who knows exactly how many votes this will lose in the tiny handful of not-very-marginal seats* where a 100 or so extra for Greens will make the difference.

* the accepted marginal seats are already long gone.
  • Options

Met someone at the airport who said she was known as kamala "blowjob" harris.
  • Options
    Today Labour published plan for over £20B of windfall taxes and borrowing alongside details for new Green Schemes.

Rishi Sunak and the Daily Mail bellow out Labour have no Green Schemes.
    They are utterly thick.
  • Options
    13 minutes until Tucker Carlson Putin interview drops on X.
  • Options

Possibly. But again, if you're Green but not totally committed to vote Green, as many are, which of the two parties that could form the next government has the greenest policies?
    I do, though, accept that this could help the Greens hold on to Caroline Lucas's seat.
    Which would be no disaster whatsoever.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,958
    isam said:

If they could unfreeze Ross Perot in a "Whoops Apocalypse" way, he'd probably win.
  • Options

Today Labour published plan for over £20B of windfall taxes and borrowing alongside details for new Green Schemes.

Rishi Sunak and the Daily Mail bellow out Labour have no Green Schemes.
    They are utterly thick.

Old jokes revisited:

Not only does Labour have no policies, the policies they don't have are terrible.
  • Options

Your words were "will not lose a single vote".

Who knows exactly how many votes this will lose in the tiny handful of not-very-marginal seats* where a 100 or so extra for Greens will make the difference.

* the accepted marginal seats are already long gone.
    Accepted - you take my point though? If the marginal seats - the ones that Starmer has to win - are long gone, then where is the harm? We haven't seen the manifestos yet - this won't replace whatever is in there in people's considerations.

But for southern and shire town Tories fed up with the general sense of decay? This helps reassure them. "Sir U-Turn" does nothing when the government change all the time and we're on PM number 3 with talk of a 4th...
  • Options
    Harper said:

13 minutes until Tucker Carlson Putin interview drops on X.

"What was it about lithium-rich Ukraine that first attracted you to the country, Vlad?"
  • Options
    edited February 8

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    8m
    #TomorrowsPapersToday

===

I dont think so.

I think the 'u-turn' tag will now be raised far more by wavering tory-lab switchers.

They are looking for a reason to stick with Sunak as much as they are looking for a reason to 'change'.

I have been saying for ages that the Tory attack that would work best on Sir Keir is highlighting his numerous broken promises. The substance of his latest u-turn isn’t really that important, it’s just that it’s high profile enough to open the floodgates, and he doesn’t need much encouragement to adopt a terse attitude in interviews when on the back foot
  • Options
    edited February 8
    carnforth said:

Was it supposed to be £28bn extra or £28bn total anyway?
    Exactly! All it ever was was a “we have a £28B spending commitment”. It never had much detail against it.

And until today Sunak and the Daily Mail had a £28B black hole to clobber Labour with. Until they themselves told the world Labour no longer have an over £20B spending commitment to create a black hole.

The madness here is, in the day they finally published detail of a £23B Green Plan, their arch enemies are telling everyone Labour has put all their Green Plans in a skip, as some sort of political attack master stroke

WTF 😂

https://news.sky.com/story/labour-in-needless-tangle-over-headline-policy-that-didnt-exist-in-detail-at-all-13066984
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    edited February 8
    kinabalu said:

glw said:

I don't either. Wouldn't piss on them. However I do think Joe takes a big risk if he runs for the 2nd term. The risk is he's not up to the campaign and therefore lets in the rank catastrophe of Trump2. Better to bow out in favour of another candidate. I think this might well happen.

That said, I also think Donald Trump is no cert to be the GOP candidate. Certainly nothing like his odds imply. I know most people think the Trump Biden rematch is a made fight but I really don't. I expect at least one of them not to be on the ballot in November and it won't shock me one iota if neither are.
    Here is my model

Haley is the value bet I think.
    !5% chance that Trump dies or has to withdraw. Then 80% chance that Haley beats the Dem candidate whoever it is.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,082

Huge mistake by Starmer.

Oh wake up you slow witted PBers. The daftest pussies on earth. 😇

I’m not even voting Labour but I appreciate that Labour sealed the deal with the electorate today, and shot the Tory fox too!

This wasn’t scrapping of the green investment the UK needs, and is finally going to start to get from May 3rd. It was instead scrapping of not just an arbitrary figure from two years ago - that had become of more use to their opponents than themselves! - but scrapping a pledge that never ever even had any proper detail and costings set against it, till more detailed five year plan published today.

For the first time Starmer’s Labour actually have a green policy programme, with costings and funding over five years - at least £23.7bn of investment over the course of next parliament, comprising of schemes like £8.3bn on a national energy supplier called Great British Energy, £7.3bn national wealth fund to support companies like British Volt, £6.6bn to insulate Britain and claims they can fund this all by windfall tax on oil and gas companies the remainder coming through borrowing.

The reality of today is Labour has actually published, with their supposed costings and funding plans, a key section of their manifesto. It’s only through the plans, costings and clarity of where the funding for each comes from that the longer term planning, and assurance of government support business and investors have been asking for has appeared - it didn’t actually exist in Labours Green Plan before.

Remember. Today is only “Labour ditches £28B Green Pledge” over the news because Labour wants that misleading headline out there, to shoot the Tory fox!

Team Sunak, the Tory Party and PB Tories need to wake up and smell the coffee here - judging by what the Tory’s themselves are saying, particularly lead foot Sunak himself, they are being suckered in and helping to spread the Labour propaganda by repeating flip flop Starmer has indeed put the £28B tax bombshell in the bin. 🤦‍♀️

The truth is Now if Labour win the election, these things in that paragraph above are going to happen - the schemes, the windfall taxes and borrowing to pay for them.

Why are you all so slow to the detail and the reality of what is happening, in a quite straightforward day in British politics 🤷‍♀️
    Why should we be throwing taxpayers money at a bunch of shysters like British Volt?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,115
    isam said:

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    8m
    #TomorrowsPapersToday

===

I dont think so.

I have been saying for ages that the Tory attack that would work best on Sir Keir is highlighting his numerous broken promises. The substance of his latest u-turn isn’t really that important, it’s just that it’s high profile enough to open the floodgates, and he doesn’t need much encouragement to adopt a terse attitude in interviews when on the back foot
    Going heavily on calling him a liar and questioning his integrity would probably get under his skin too.
  • Options
    Biden is 3/1 to be POTUS next time, I had no idea he was that big a price
  • Options
    isam said:

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    8m
    #TomorrowsPapersToday

===

I dont think so.

Hang on a second. How does that help Sunak? Who had a pledge card of 5 promises - the "people's priorities" no less - and missed 4 of them.

Sunak is Mr Broken Promises. Trying to attack someone else's broken promises is funny. And voters are sick of laughing at him.
  • Options

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    8m
    #TomorrowsPapersToday

===

How f*cking predictable was this Labour strategy kids ?

Is that:

(I) How f*cking predictable was this, Labour strategy kids?

Or (2) How f*cking predictable was this Labour strategy, kids?

Either could make sense!

• Options

Huge mistake by Starmer.

I’m not even voting Labour but I appreciate that Labour sealed the deal with the electorate today, and shot the Tory fox too!

This wasn’t scrapping of the green investment the UK needs, and is finally going to start to get from May 3rd. It was instead scrapping of not just an arbitrary figure from two years ago - that had become of more use to their opponents than themselves! - but scrapping a pledge that never ever even had any proper detail and costings set against it, till more detailed five year plan published today.

For the first time Starmer’s Labour actually have a green policy programme, with costings and funding over five years - at least £23.7bn of investment over the course of next parliament, comprising of schemes like £8.3bn on a national energy supplier called Great British Energy, £7.3bn national wealth fund to support companies like British Volt, £6.6bn to insulate Britain and claims they can fund this all by windfall tax on oil and gas companies the remainder coming through borrowing.

The reality of today is Labour has actually published, with their supposed costings and funding plans, a key section of their manifesto. It’s only through the plans, costings and clarity of where the funding for each comes from that the longer term planning, and assurance of government support business and investors have been asking for has appeared - it didn’t actually exist in Labours Green Plan before.

Remember. Today is only “Labour ditches £28B Green Pledge” over the news because Labour wants that misleading headline out there, to shoot the Tory fox!

Team Sunak, the Tory Party and PB Tories need to wake up and smell the coffee here - judging by what the Tory’s themselves are saying, particularly lead foot Sunak himself, they are being suckered in and helping to spread the Labour propaganda by repeating flip flop Starmer has indeed put the £28B tax bombshell in the bin. 🤦‍♀️

The truth is Now if Labour win the election, these things in that paragraph above are going to happen - the schemes, the windfall taxes and borrowing to pay for them.

Why are you all so slow to the detail and the reality of what is happening, in a quite straightforward day in British politics 🤷‍♀️
    Why should we be throwing taxpayers money at a bunch of shysters like British Volt?
    Not happening say the Tories and Daily Mail - Labour have binned ALL their plans.
  • Options
    isam said:

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    8m
    #TomorrowsPapersToday

===

I dont think so.

I was chatting today with some people who I might describe as "Not especially into politics, but vaguely aware of what's going on". And they all didn't give a flying f*ck about Labour other than "the Tories need kicked out".

Which is.. I suspect, the demographic they're aiming for.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,092
    QT tonight pretty good for Labour on the U-turn. People generally see it as them being honest before the election that they don’t have the fiscal headroom rather than u-turning afterwards as a bait and switch.

@MoonRabbit might have called this one right. Much kudos due if so.
  • Options

isam said:

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    8m
    #TomorrowsPapersToday

===

I dont think so.

Hang on a second. How does that help Sunak? Who had a pledge card of 5 promises - the "people's priorities" no less - and missed 4 of them.

Sunak is Mr Broken Promises. Trying to attack someone else's broken promises is funny. And voters are sick of laughing at him.
    Missing targets isn’t the same as saying you’ll do something to get elected, then saying you won’t having got the gig
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,925
    Reeves put the ridiculous fiscal rule in place and the idiot Starmer agreed to it .

Labour can surely afford no more disasters . Today’s decision was a huge own goal .
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,044
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Ouch.

Not what he wants in an election year - or at least, wouldn't be if the adversary were somebody reasonably young and sane instead of Trump.

Biden 'wilfully retained' classified files but will not be charged
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68245617

Mr Hur's report says that it would be difficult to convict Mr Biden of improper handling because "at trial, Mr Biden would likely present himself to a jury, as he did during our interview of him, as a sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory".

That really holes Biden below the waterline in terms of re-election.

It is a very polite way of calling him too senile to face trial.
    Well, it would. If his opponent wasn't Trump. Who is manifestly far more senile.

Again, if the Republicans wanted to win they'd select Haley. But they're so far gone they won't even vote for her when the orangutan isn't on the ballot.
    This is objectively wrong. Trump is not manifestly far more senile and he is ahead in the polls against Biden.
    Confusing Haley and Pelosi? Constantly confusing Biden and Obama!
    I don't think that misspeaking about contemporary political opponents is quite in the same category as having conversations with ghosts, but even if you disagree, you can't really argue that Trump is "far more" senile.
    You can, very easily.

All you need to do is actually look at what they've both been saying and doing and it becomes extremely easy.
    If you think Trump was nuts to begin with, how can you judge?
    I didn't think he was nuts to start with...just malign. I even thought he might not be much worse than Hilary Clinton, although I was wrong about that.
    Indeed: the day after the 2016 election, I posted to Facebook about how - while I wasn't the biggest Trump fan - it would all be fine.

I too was wrong.

I didn't appreciate the damage one man could to democratic norms in just four years.
  • Options
    isam said:

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    8m
    #TomorrowsPapersToday

===

I dont think so.

Rishi “changed his entire persona and dna during last conference season” Sunak, is going to launch that attack? 😀
  • Options
    edited February 8

isam said:

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    8m
    #TomorrowsPapersToday

===

I dont think so.

Rishi “changed his entire persona and dna during last conference season” Sunak, is going to launch that attack? 😀
    He seems to be doing it already, as are a lot of Tory MPs
  • Options
    Interview with Putin is over 2 hours long. Watching now.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    8m
    #TomorrowsPapersToday

===

I dont think so.

I don't think those are his problems. It's that he 's managed to build an image of competence and honesty against a government which has palpably fallen down on both. It was the perfect USP for the time

Now he just looks like he'll say or do anything that might get him votes. Another Rishi in other words

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,719
    Harper said:

Enjoy. Keep the hankies to hand.
  • Options

isam said:

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    8m
    #TomorrowsPapersToday

===

I dont think so.

Sunak's promises have all been broken by the French though. Or the EU. Or the woke. Or... them, over there. See? Oh! Kemi! She messed up the brilliant plan! And... urm... That other bland nonentity! They messed up too!

:: repeat until a tragic VC fund in California gives him a bench-seat ::
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    edited February 8
    Substantial movement today:

Nomination: Biden 1.43 (was 1.30 a few hours ago)

Presidency: Biden 3.8 (was 3.0 a few hours ago)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Ouch.

Not what he wants in an election year - or at least, wouldn't be if the adversary were somebody reasonably young and sane instead of Trump.

Mr Hur's report says that it would be difficult to convict Mr Biden of improper handling because "at trial, Mr Biden would likely present himself to a jury, as he did during our interview of him, as a sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory".

Well, it would. If his opponent wasn't Trump. Who is manifestly far more senile.

Again, if the Republicans wanted to win they'd select Haley. But they're so far gone they won't even vote for her when the orangutan isn't on the ballot.
    This is objectively wrong. Trump is not manifestly far more senile and he is ahead in the polls against Biden.
    I don't think that misspeaking about contemporary political opponents is quite in the same category as having conversations with ghosts, but even if you disagree, you can't really argue that Trump is "far more" senile.
    You can, very easily.

All you need to do is actually look at what they've both been saying and doing and it becomes extremely easy.
    I didn't think he was nuts to start with...just malign. I even thought he might not be much worse than Hilary Clinton, although I was wrong about that.
    Indeed: the day after the 2016 election, I posted to Facebook about how - while I wasn't the biggest Trump fan - it would all be fine.

I too was wrong.

I didn't appreciate the damage one man could to democratic norms in just four years.
    Another that didn’t surprise on the upside, then?
  • Options
    Putin going back to 862 to justify his invasion of ukraine.
  • Options
    Word of the day is ‘apostasise’ (16th century): to abandon once firmly held principles or promises.

https://x.com/susie_dent/status/1755495073783898487?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,115
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Ouch.

You can, very easily.

I too was wrong.

To what extent do you think the conspiracy theories aimed at undermining the legitimacy of his election contributed to the erosion of those norms?
  • Options

Huge mistake by Starmer.

Not happening say the Tories and Daily Mail - Labour have binned ALL their plans.
    Don’t care about them.

*You* said that we should.

Why?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Just put a few more £ on Biden at 3.8
  • Options
    Putin rambling on a bit. We have reached the 13th century now.
  • Options

Huge mistake by Starmer.

Don’t care about them.

Why?
    I said no such thing!

I’m saying there’s good questions like yours to be asked about Labours plans. But Labours opponents are not asking those questions as they are currently convincing the world Labour no longer have any plans. 🤪
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    8m
    #TomorrowsPapersToday

===

I dont think so.

Good luck with that 😄
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,092

QT tonight pretty good for Labour on the U-turn. People generally see it as them being honest before the election that they don’t have the fiscal headroom rather than u-turning afterwards as a bait and switch.

I have called it right. Was it £28B every year? Was it £28B in the parliament? Was it ever £28B against a firm set of detailed, costed proposals?

The irony here is where The Tories and The Mail say Labour have no questions to answer about these plans ON THE BASIS WE ARE TELLING YOU AFTER A UTURN LABOUR NOW HAVE NO PLANS - there’s a whole load of very good questions about the sense, actual cost and funding mechanism of these plans.

I did have help though. leaving radio 4 on all afternoon for the sheep, and when I came back they explained it all to me. The sheep are quicker at politics today than PB.

Sheep. 🐑 fleecy things that eat, shit and die
    I must admit that the ruminant factor was a twist that caught me by surprise.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Some will think buying opportunity. Not for me though.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    8m
    #TomorrowsPapersToday

===

I dont think so.

Good luck with that 😄
    It’s the right strategy to take, and it helps that there’s loads of evidence showing it to be true. I’m glad they’re doing this, it is so obviously their best chance
  • Options

Huge mistake by Starmer.

Don’t care about them.

Why?
    I said no such thing!

I’m saying there’s good questions like yours to be asked about Labours plans. But Labours opponents are not asking those questions as they are currently convincing the world Labour no longer have any plans. 🤪
    Must have been a different MoonRabbit who wrote £7.3bn national wealth fund to support companies like British Volt

My apologies for confusing you

• Options
    Harper said:

You won't get that time back you know.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Harper said:

To be fair Carlson is looking increasingly frustrated as Putin rambles on. We have now got to ww2.
  • Options

I have called it right. Was it £28B every year? Was it £28B in the parliament? Was it ever £28B against a firm set of detailed, costed proposals?

The irony here is where The Tories and The Mail say Labour have no questions to answer about these plans ON THE BASIS WE ARE TELLING YOU AFTER A UTURN LABOUR NOW HAVE NO PLANS - there’s a whole load of very good questions about the sense, actual cost and funding mechanism of these plans.

I did have help though. leaving radio 4 on all afternoon for the sheep, and when I came back they explained it all to me. The sheep are quicker at politics today than PB.

Sheep. 🐑 fleecy things that eat, shit and die
    "Well, Clarice, have the lambs stopped screaming?" :lol::lol:
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

kinabalu said:

glw said:

Here is my model

Haley is the value bet I think.
    !5% chance that Trump dies or has to withdraw. Then 80% chance that Haley beats the Dem candidate whoever it is.
    Yes she's one of my better results.
  • Options
    edited February 8
    Everyone else shortening. Nomination:

Michelle 8
    Newsom 10.5
    Harris 17
  • Options

isam said:

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    8m
    #TomorrowsPapersToday

===

I dont think so.

Going heavily on calling him a liar and questioning his integrity would probably get under his skin too.
    He deceived the Corbynites. That's a badge of honour for his target voters.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,909
    edited February 8
    kinabalu said:

Harper said:

Someone has to watch it, I suppose.

This is apparently how we got here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azGVPL7Pylc
  • Options
    Harper said:

Putin rambling on a bit. We have reached the 13th century now.

ZZZzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    Harper said:

Yaaaawwwwwwnnnn
  • Options
    JUST IN: Russian President Vladimir Putin suggests the CIA blew up the Nord Stream pipeline during his interview with Tucker Carlson.

Putin also said the United States is one of the biggest sources of propaganda in the world.

Tucker: "Who blew up Nord Stream?"

Putin: "You for sure."

Tucker: "I was busy that day. I did not blow up Nord Stream."

Putin: "You personally may have an alibi, but the CIA has no such alibi."

https://x.com/CollinRugg/status/1755733046282826162?s=20
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Everyone else shortening. Nomination:

Michelle 8
    Newsom 10.5
    Harris 17

I like Whitmer at 140.

• Options
    edited February 8

To be sober for a second, what the voters are clearly wise to, is whilst Sunak’s pre election giveaways in tax cuts are fake

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/hunt-tax-cut-reversed-election-ifs-b2484584.html
    To be reversed next year regardless who wins.

Team Starmer are reigning in their desire to splurge on UKs Green makeover, to instead live within the country’s means.

That’s why Feb 8th will become the key moment in this election year. The opposition wishing to be government signalled to everyone, they accept the reality that despite gold plated dreams, there’s only tin pot money, for the time being.
  • Options
    edited February 8
    Surely if Trump withdraws there's a good chance Haley does not get the nomination.

ie Trump delegates would switch to a Trump supporter, not Haley.
  • Options
    And how the flipping eck does Penny Mourdant carry out a face on “critical parent” slap down of Rishi Sunak, and keep her government job?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,814
    MikeL said:

What's the reason for this? I haven't been following the news closely recently.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

MikeL said:

What's the reason for this? I haven't been following the news closely recently.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68244611
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    SKS fans please explain
    Crewe Central (Cheshire East) Council By-Election Result:

CON: 43.3% (+19.8)
    LAB: 35.8% (-18.9)
    PCF: 16.5% (+1.2)
    WEP: 2.8% (New)
    GRN: 1.6% (New)

No RFM (-6.5) as previous.

Conservative GAIN from Labour.