Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This looks an interesting bet – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,335
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Even His Majesty’s Government has now abandoned the wet market theory of the origins of Covid

Now it’s no longer ‘of course it came from that pangolin in the market, you racist’ and it has moved to ‘oh well, we’ll never really know, those Chinese are inscrutable, yes maybe the lab but only 20 million died, do you want a biscuit’

Quite incredible. And they will probably get away with it

"Where do we stand on the lab leak theory for Covid?"

@JustinOnWeb asks Government Chief Science Adviser Prof Dame Angela McLean, who says 'we are very unlikely to ever know' the origins of coronavirus.

#R4Today

https://x.com/bbcr4today/status/1752311404844232719?s=61&t=GGp3Vs1t1kTWDiyA-odnZg

Twenty million dead. Trillions of debt accrued. It almost certainly came from misplaced science in a stupid lab. And they just want us to shrug and forget

I and many others told you this from the start. It is not provable either way given the way Chinese society is structured and the vested interests in making us believe one thing or the other. Both are possible and society should act to reduce the chances of both paths in future regardless of whichever one it was this time. Move on.
    Yeah, let’s move on, eh

It’s only now 20 million dead. Compare it to the post office scandal where literally hundreds of nice people lost money, and maybe one person committed suicide

This is trivial in comparison. 20 million dead people and entire economies crippled. Why isn’t there an itv drama. What we need to do as a society is forget this ever happened so no one has to take any blame for the greatest human health disaster in a century. That’s the main thing

Also, let’s allow scientists to carry on fucking about with bugs. That seems like a good idea

If only we knew a thriller writer who can spin a decent blockbuster out of this 'plot'?
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,801
    kyf_100 said:

Ghedebrav said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

My tip to drink wine out of a sherry glass is as relevant to weight loss as it is to combatting alcoholism btw.

Sorry but this is ridiculous. Alcoholism is a disease not a throwaway word.

If you're an alcoholic then the safe amount of alcohol to consume is zero, glass size doesn't matter.

If you're not an alcoholic, then don't abuse the word.
    Ok I’m gonna defend @kinabalu here

Stop being such a dogmatic, tin-eared, insensitive twat. I was teasing him earlier but actually @kinabalu has written quite eloquently if briefly about his problems with booze addiction. He knows this subject

PB has morphed into a self help group for ageing and cantankerous men who know too much about polling and often need to lose weight but we are also that, a social group, and your remarks are antisocial and crude, so do shut up
    I apologise, I hadn't read anything anything he has written about problems with booze and was completely unaware of that.

I didn't mean to be insensitive.
    Well said.

I do think a lot of the problem with discussing drinking, cutting down drinking, comes from the fact that what works for some people doesn't work for others.

If someone offered me wine in a sherry glass, I would go full Get Carter. "You don't serve a man like Jack a drink in those piddling little glasses! Bring him the bloody bottle!" But if it works for others, that's great. And I suspect it does work for Kinabalu.

I know someone (Ghedebrav? sorry if it wasn't you) mentioned AA the other day, and they do seem to go for the "one drink is too much for an alcoholic" approach. I find their views are dogmatic in the extreme, but it's definitely a popular view.

One thing I'm considering is that my relationship with alcohol has changed since Lockdown, pre Lockdown I could take it or leave it, now I wonder if I'm falling into the 'one drink means going on a long drunk' category. Lockdown really destroyed my impulse control in a lot of ways, hence why I still have anger issues in other areas (a lot of Nokia throwing, which I never used to do pre-Lockdown). So I think I have a problem with impulse control in general, not just with drinking.

The trick is not to delude oneself. If one drink is fine, and you can take it or leave, it, great. If you're just kidding yourself about that, because one drink becomes six, and you find yourself down the offie the next day just to take the edge off, it's time to stop kidding yourself. Which is I think where I'm at post-Lockdown. Maybe that will change over time, though. I have a couple of friends who did AA and NA in their thirties and were convinced they could never touch a drop again, but a decade on they have an occasional drink or in one case smokes weed, without it leading to harder things. They grew up and got better with time, it just took a very long break to reset themselves.
    Yeah I talked about it the other day. I don't think I have a dependency (five weeks in now, and hearing some other people's stories of how they struggled with kicking - forcing themselves to live minute to minute without a drink, such is the need - I haven't had that experience) but I do have a compulsive and ruinous relationship with booze. I'm quite shy and introverted by nature, but a jolly social drunk - wishing every night to be a carnival. But then especially through lockdown became habituated to home drinking, a few nights a week turning to every night, one or two becoming three or four - or more. Never really getting wasted but looking for that glow.

Many would not define me as an alcoholic, but the AA definition is looser tbh - it's about whether you're capable of having a normal relationship with drinking, which if I'm honest I do not. I find the groups and the ritual and the shared understanding very helpful.

It may be that I'm like your friends, and when I retire I'll enjoy the odd stout every now and again. Right now abstinence is the only way for me - but it's not for everyone.
    If it works for you, keep going! I'm definitely in the "abstinence only" mindset too, dunno when or even if I'll get back to normal. I suspect impulse control in other areas (like anger) will be a pretty good pointer for me, though.

The other possibility is lockdown bingeing has permanently rewired my brain, and now it's gone for good. I think it was Jay McInerney who said everyone gets one swimming pool of vodka and one bathtub of cocaine in their lifetime, the trick is to stop before you hit your second...
    I stopped drinking for nearly a year when I was under quite a bit of pressure at work. After a few months I had no inclination to drink, it was probably the most progress I made on the health front in my entire life.

On reflection the best situation I had was about ten years ago when I had a rule of no more than 2.5 pints (or equivalent). Was fine for most social situations and it was never enough to make you have a hangover or lose self awareness. I'd really like to get back to something like that.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,503

Leon said:

Leon said:

Even His Majesty’s Government has now abandoned the wet market theory of the origins of Covid

Now it’s no longer ‘of course it came from that pangolin in the market, you racist’ and it has moved to ‘oh well, we’ll never really know, those Chinese are inscrutable, yes maybe the lab but only 20 million died, do you want a biscuit’

@JustinOnWeb asks Government Chief Science Adviser Prof Dame Angela McLean, who says 'we are very unlikely to ever know' the origins of coronavirus.

#R4Today

https://x.com/bbcr4today/status/1752311404844232719?s=61&t=GGp3Vs1t1kTWDiyA-odnZg

Twenty million dead. Trillions of debt accrued. It almost certainly came from misplaced science in a stupid lab. And they just want us to shrug and forget

I and many others told you this from the start. It is not provable either way given the way Chinese society is structured and the vested interests in making us believe one thing or the other. Both are possible and society should act to reduce the chances of both paths in future regardless of whichever one it was this time. Move on.
    Yeah, let’s move on, eh

It’s only now 20 million dead. Compare it to the post office scandal where literally hundreds of nice people lost money, and maybe one person committed suicide

This is trivial in comparison. 20 million dead people and entire economies crippled. Why isn’t there an itv drama. What we need to do as a society is forget this ever happened so no one has to take any blame for the greatest human health disaster in a century. That’s the main thing

Also, let’s allow scientists to carry on fucking about with bugs. That seems like a good idea

You really are struggling with reading comprehension this week...."society should act to reduce the chances of both paths in future regardless of whichever one it was this time".....what do you think that means?
    Dealing with Leon is like having a child with childish reasoning trying to engage with adults. It’s best not to bother.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

#R4Today

Yeah, let’s move on, eh

You really are struggling with reading comprehension this week...."society should act to reduce the chances of both paths in future regardless of whichever one it was this time".....what do you think that means?
    Dealing with Leon is like having a child with childish reasoning trying to engage with adults. It’s best not to bother.
    Children are occassionally insightful.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,468

Dura_Ace said:

That's one of the hoariest stories ever wheeled out by bar-room bores, I must have heard it 15 times over the years.

You can tell this iteration of it is bollocks due to the inexactitude regarding anatine physiology.

Are you calling one of PB's most pungent pundits, a "bar-room bore"?

Tell it to the Extraterrestrial Marines!
    That's the Trans Gay Woke Illegal Alien AI Extraterrestrial Marines, to you
    Colonial Marines, shirley!
    How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?
    Look into my eye!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,025

https://twitter.com/wethinkpolling/status/1753436922385473600

🔴 Lab 45% (-2)
    🔵 Con 23% (NC)
    ⚪ Ref 11% (-1)
    🟠 LD 9% (NC)
    🟢 Green 5% (-1)
    🟡 SNP 3% (+1)

Corbyn polled 41% in 2017.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

#R4Today

Yeah, let’s move on, eh

Children are occassionally insightful.
    True. But arguing with them is always a waste of time.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,750
    edited February 2
    kyf_100 said:

Ghedebrav said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

My tip to drink wine out of a sherry glass is as relevant to weight loss as it is to combatting alcoholism btw.

If you're an alcoholic then the safe amount of alcohol to consume is zero, glass size doesn't matter.

Stop being such a dogmatic, tin-eared, insensitive twat. I was teasing him earlier but actually @kinabalu has written quite eloquently if briefly about his problems with booze addiction. He knows this subject

PB has morphed into a self help group for ageing and cantankerous men who know too much about polling and often need to lose weight but we are also that, a social group, and your remarks are antisocial and crude, so do shut up
    I apologise, I hadn't read anything anything he has written about problems with booze and was completely unaware of that.

Well said.

I do think a lot of the problem with discussing drinking, cutting down drinking, comes from the fact that what works for some people doesn't work for others.

If someone offered me wine in a sherry glass, I would go full Get Carter. "You don't serve a man like Jack a drink in those piddling little glasses! Bring him the bloody bottle!" But if it works for others, that's great. And I suspect it does work for Kinabalu.

I know someone (Ghedebrav? sorry if it wasn't you) mentioned AA the other day, and they do seem to go for the "one drink is too much for an alcoholic" approach. I find their views are dogmatic in the extreme, but it's definitely a popular view.

One thing I'm considering is that my relationship with alcohol has changed since Lockdown, pre Lockdown I could take it or leave it, now I wonder if I'm falling into the 'one drink means going on a long drunk' category. Lockdown really destroyed my impulse control in a lot of ways, hence why I still have anger issues in other areas (a lot of Nokia throwing, which I never used to do pre-Lockdown). So I think I have a problem with impulse control in general, not just with drinking.

The trick is not to delude oneself. If one drink is fine, and you can take it or leave, it, great. If you're just kidding yourself about that, because one drink becomes six, and you find yourself down the offie the next day just to take the edge off, it's time to stop kidding yourself. Which is I think where I'm at post-Lockdown. Maybe that will change over time, though. I have a couple of friends who did AA and NA in their thirties and were convinced they could never touch a drop again, but a decade on they have an occasional drink or in one case smokes weed, without it leading to harder things. They grew up and got better with time, it just took a very long break to reset themselves.
    Yeah I talked about it the other day. I don't think I have a dependency (five weeks in now, and hearing some other people's stories of how they struggled with kicking - forcing themselves to live minute to minute without a drink, such is the need - I haven't had that experience) but I do have a compulsive and ruinous relationship with booze. I'm quite shy and introverted by nature, but a jolly social drunk - wishing every night to be a carnival. But then especially through lockdown became habituated to home drinking, a few nights a week turning to every night, one or two becoming three or four - or more. Never really getting wasted but looking for that glow.

Many would not define me as an alcoholic, but the AA definition is looser tbh - it's about whether you're capable of having a normal relationship with drinking, which if I'm honest I do not. I find the groups and the ritual and the shared understanding very helpful.

It may be that I'm like your friends, and when I retire I'll enjoy the odd stout every now and again. Right now abstinence is the only way for me - but it's not for everyone.
    If it works for you, keep going! I'm definitely in the "abstinence only" mindset too, dunno when or even if I'll get back to normal. I suspect impulse control in other areas (like anger) will be a pretty good pointer for me, though.

The other possibility is lockdown bingeing has permanently rewired my brain, and now it's gone for good. I think it was Jay McInerney who said everyone gets one swimming pool of vodka and one bathtub of cocaine in their lifetime, the trick is to stop before you hit your second...
    My limited experience of friends who are / were alcoholic is that there has often been a metanoia, a turning away, a change of outlook, a point of inflection / change. I think that fits the AA concept, and they reinforce it because they find it is a stronger support over the longer term.

I think that a risk around accepting grey areas (eg I don't think I'm dependent) is that they can become reasons for turning partly back. Even if it may be the case, risks may attach. As ever, YMMV.

I think that Leon's "I'm so bored" pay be a pointer that the hole left by no alcohol can often be filled by an ardent enthusiasm for something else, which - whilst perhaps become an over-enthusiasm - is still likely to be much better than alcohol-dependency. I'd say it can be any interest.

I'm reminded of a friend who died some years ago (not sure if I have mentioned it) who had his metanoia at a Pentecostalist Business Dinner (yes, they exist), and stopped drinking. In his case he also stopped being a wife-beater (that is her account). He subsequently became an ardent Pentecostalist, which I sometimes found wearing enough to limit contact. But the guy certainly changed to the benefit of those around him. From around 15 years later he relaxed to the extent of having a glass of sherry at Christmas. Plus there was involvement from both AA and Al-Anon - the latter being an
    organisation for people who have been impacted by another person's alcoholism

I wonder if this feeds into some of the more esoteric & detailed interests we see?

(At this point I am imagining @Leon compiling a collection of photographs of every type of tile design across all 272 stations of the entire London Underground network.)

I'd suggest the only real test is that of time - what is the person like 5, 10, 20 years later.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,008
    Another rather strange social media ad from the Conservatives. The only way it works is that Sir Keir looks so old compared to JFK, but is it wise to be comparing them at all?

https://x.com/conservatives/status/1753090739515371890?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,468
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

#R4Today

Yeah, let’s move on, eh

"It's like living with a six year old!"
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,335
    Leon said:

Leon said:

#R4Today

Yeah, let’s move on, eh

On your last point, how many millions of people have had their lives changed by medical science? If you are diagnosed with cancer today you have a greater than 50% chance of surviving 10 years. Compare that to even 30 years ago. Some cancers have become essentially curable (and thats not including those that are cured by excising non-metastatic tumours).
    We also know vast amounts more about how viruses and bacteria work, and how to control the cell. We are moving to the idea of growing cultured food so that no more animals need die to feed people. We are getting closer to growing replacement organs for when you have screwed your liver through years of drinking or by other means.

Science needs regulation. I think you believe that US scientists got round controls on gain of function research by doing it in China. Who knows, you may be right. If that is the case (big if) then the regulation of science in the west has a serious loop hole, as the studies are not allowed in the USA.

What I would find incredible is that a Chinese scientist undertaking research to make a virus more dangerous, would not use the appropriate biosecurity. I mean even if you didn't care for everyone else, you don't want to expose yourself. But could it have happened? Yes, obviously.

But the counter argument is that it is perfectly possible for covid to have a natural origin, just as the original covid did and MERS and SARS etc.

I don't think we will ever know for sure.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    If this was "on the ballot and alive in November", it would be more interesting, because there's a non-trivial risk that they get the nomination... and then have an issue.
  • Options
    MattW said:

kyf_100 said:

Ghedebrav said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Well said.

My limited experience of friends who are / were alcoholic is that there has often been a metanoia, a turning away, a change of outlook, a point of inflection / change. I think that fits the AA concept, and they reinforce it because they find it is a stronger support over the longer term.

I think that a risk around accepting grey areas (eg I don't think I'm dependent) is that they can become reasons for turning partly back. Even if it may be the case, risks may attach. As ever, YMMV.

I think that Leon's "I'm so bored" pay be a pointer that the hole left by no alcohol can often be filled by an ardent enthusiasm for something else, which - whilst perhaps become an over-enthusiasm - is still likely to be much better than alcohol-dependency. I'd say it can be any interest.

I'm reminded of a friend who died some years ago (not sure if I have mentioned it) who had his metanoia at a Pentecostalist Business Dinner (yes, they exist), and stopped drinking. In his case he also stopped being a wife-beater (that is her account). He became an ardent Pentecostalist, which I sometimes found wearing enough to limit contact. But the guy certainly changed to the benefit of those around him. From around 15 years later he relaxed to the extent of having a glass of sherry at Christmas.

I wonder if this feeds into some of the more esoteric & detailed interests we see?

(At this point I am imagining @Leon compiling a collection of photographs of every type of tile design across all 272 stations of the entire London Underground network.)

I'd suggest the only real test is that of time - what is the person like 5, 10, 20 years later.
    There’s no boredom involved. Withdrawal symptoms from an addiction make time drag, but that isn’t boredom per se.
  • Options
    We should be very grateful for Covid: if it hadn't happened then RNA therapy would probably have taken another decade to become mainstream. On balance, it probably saved lives.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

We should be very grateful for Covid: if it hadn't happened then RNA therapy would probably have taken another decade to become mainstream. On balance, it probably saved lives.

It would have taken a lot longer for the public to accept the remote control microchips without the vaccines too.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    isam said:

Another rather strange social media ad from the Conservatives. The only way it works is that Sir Keir looks so old compared to JFK, but is it wise to be comparing them at all?

https://x.com/conservatives/status/1753090739515371890?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

It's an odd advert for sure. Shades of portraying Cameron with the Quattro.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,367
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Well this makes a pleasant change. Normally if I see I've been tagged by you I brace myself for something gratuitous and upsetting.
    Well, if you stopped your effete attempts to get me banned, or your snide accusations that I’m some lurid Nazi, perhaps I’d be a little nicer to you

However you are a valued old voice in the pub of PB, which is pleasantly situated in the Belsize Park of civilised debate, and I will defend any of the regulars against obviously unfair criticism, or crude insults, even including you

And now all is good because @BartholomewRoberts has apologised. As you were
    I've never tried to get you (or anyone) banned. The one single occasion you're referring to was actually the dead opposite. I saw you posting images that had an "AI" feel to them and I thought to myself, "Oh no, if he does that he'll be banned because the Site has very firm rules against it. I'd better just nip in and give him a heads up so that that doesn't happen. Maybe he isn't thinking straight today." And it worked. You pointed out that the image was not AI (it was just a photo of a doll you had in your bedroom) and therefore all was well. Because of me.

As for "lurid Nazi", I doubt I've ever said that about you but if I have it was unfair and injudicious (I was probably on my 3rd sherry glass of wine) and I'm happy to resile. Lurid, yes, but Nazi would be seriously overegging it. You're vanilla hard(ish) right of the National Populist variety. Nothing that terrible.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,598
    isam said:

No.

"You're no JFK" only works as an insult if you know the context, which is pretty nerdy. The original jibe was from 1988, when Rishi was still in primary school. Explaining it in the last few seconds of the clip, when most sensible people will have clicked on, isn't enough.

Simplest explanation is that CCHQ can't get anyone good to do their social media any more, which is both a sympton and a cause of their decline.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Well this makes a pleasant change. Normally if I see I've been tagged by you I brace myself for something gratuitous and upsetting.
    Well, if you stopped your effete attempts to get me banned, or your snide accusations that I’m some lurid Nazi, perhaps I’d be a little nicer to you

However you are a valued old voice in the pub of PB, which is pleasantly situated in the Belsize Park of civilised debate, and I will defend any of the regulars against obviously unfair criticism, or crude insults, even including you

I've never tried to get you (or anyone) banned. The one single occasion you're referring to was actually the dead opposite. I saw you posting images that had an "AI" feel to them and I thought to myself, "Oh no, if he does that he'll be banned because the Site has very firm rules against it. I'd better just nip in and give him a heads up so that that doesn't happen. Maybe he isn't thinking straight today." And it worked. You pointed out that the image was not AI (it was just a photo of a doll you had in your bedroom) and therefore all was well. Because of me.

As for "lurid Nazi", I doubt I've ever said that about you but if I have it was unfair and injudicious (I was probably on my 3rd sherry glass of wine) and I'm happy to resile. Lurid, yes, but Nazi would be seriously overegging it. You're vanilla hard(ish) right of the National Populist variety. Nothing that terrible.
    Backing down in the face of ardent irrationality just makes you look limp.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,960

Leon said:

Leon said:

#R4Today

Yeah, let’s move on, eh

And the UK is now worse prepared than it was before. More important to indulge in woke-hunting and go on and on about BOATS.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,556
    isam said:

It is strange, and even "Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine" is a bit of an in-joke for readers of a certain age, but the fact Starmer walked into this is further evidence for my theory that both leaders are being trolled by their own campaign teams.
  • Options

isam said:

It is strange, and even "Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine" is a bit of an in-joke for readers of a certain age, but the fact Starmer walked into this is further evidence for my theory that both leaders are being trolled by their own campaign teams.
    I still don't get the issues around plagiarism outside some quite limited settings like academia or commercial copyrights.

Of course politicians can re-use a single sentence that other politicians said 60 years ago. It is bonkers to think otherwise.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,556
    rcs1000 said:

Maybe the inquiry should find out why we did not fund the Imperial team's RNA candidate rather than worry about who Whatsapped what.
  • Options
    isam said:

Yes, odd. It implies the Tories think they have a leader that does stand comparison with JFK. But they have Rishi Sunak.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

#R4Today

Yeah, let’s move on, eh

The Chinese Communist Party are full of shits who will lie and cover up the truth so we'll never know for sure. But that's also not news, and not in our control.

Wishing the Chinese Communists weren't shits is like wishing that Putin isn't a shit - what good is that going to do?

What happened in this country is in our control. What happened with the Post Office is a scandal because it happened here, under our control, in our legal system, and we're supposed to be better than that.

We know they're not.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,572
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Fair. Pax

Vanilla hard-ish populist right is quite accurate, as well. I don’t actually want to hurt anyone, I do feel a need to defend my tribe, the British, especially the white working class British, who get a fucking hard deal given what they have delivered for the nation - eg my Cornish grandmother literally working in the tin mines aged 9. She had zero white privilege, the whole concept enrages me, these people worked and fought to create the prosperous United Kingdom, I won’t see it handed over without a fight

Otherwise I am laid back and lucky. Perhaps one day we shall meet and splice a thimble of gin. Cheers
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

But I never have called him a Nazi or tried to get him banned. Which I suppose IS a bit limp, come to think of it. Shape up me!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,950
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Yes, don’t ever compare your opponent to someone who’s universally popular.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,439

isam said:

I still don't get the issues around plagiarism outside some quite limited settings like academia or commercial copyrights.

Of course politicians can re-use a single sentence that other politicians said 60 years ago. It is bonkers to think otherwise.
    It's also a really good line from one of the best political speeches of the 20th century, so there's no shame in copying it. And it works great for Starmer now, because it attacks Sunak for setting weak targets (like halving the rate of inflation), while preparing the ground for an incoming Labour government needing some time to turn things around.

Why exactly would the Tories want to draw attention to one of Starmer's best arguments?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,489
    kinabalu said:

Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

Dunno. The sherry glass (and contents) are lighter than the wine glass, assuming otherwise similar materials and construction. So each lift of glass burns fewer calories with the sherry glass than the wine glass. Might offset any reduced calorie intake from reduced drinking.

However, the trips to refill the sherry glass could outweigh that, if the bottle is kept at a reasonable distance.

Needs a whole life cycle analysis before any extravagant claims are made, I'd say :wink:
    Great bit of drilldown. Yes, ideally the bottle should be kept in the attic, accessible only by torch and creaky stepladder.

But seriously (since I see there's been some disquiet) this is a perfectly sincere tip for keeping a lid on things once you are no longer in the throes of the addiction (which is me) but obviously it's no silver bullet for someone who is.
    We tend to work by the bottle. If we (wife and I) open a bottle then we normally finish it. But, lending credence to your approach and the research mentioned earlier, we have two sets of wine glasses, one much larger than the other. With the larger set, we can be 2/3 of a way down the bottle if we start at dinner by the time the kids are having their bath. Smaller glasses there's more likely 2/3 left for the evening after the kids are in bed. It doesn't change how much we drink, but it certainly does change how long it takes to drink it.
  • Options
    edited February 2
    kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

But I never have called him a Nazi or tried to get him banned. Which I suppose IS a bit limp, come to think of it. Shape up me!
    He’s not a Nazi simply because currently it would make him a pariah.

If the Nazis were at 15% of the UK polls, he’d be out there claiming to have been a founder member.

No-one who has read any history can fail to see how dangerous are his ilk.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525

isam said:

Why do you think Starmer walked into anything?

I'd be amazed if he didn't know the quote, and I assume repeating it is entirely deliberate.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Pulpstar said:

kjh said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

It's not ridiculous; it's badly worded.

Personally, I'm not convinced by the sherry glass suggestion - they're just *too* small. But using smaller glasses will help someone who wants to cut down from, say, 25 units a week to 15.
    Day 2 of my dry month. Its not passing quickly, that's for sure.
    it gets worse
    Just to let you and @DavidL know, I enjoyed a nice pint of 'Ghost Ship' last night.
    If you are having Adnams it should be Broadside (or plain bitter if it is a nice day and you want a lighter drink) in my opinion.

Nothing in my opinion beats a pint of Shere Drop but I suspect you have to be within a limited range of Dorking for that
    Only the Ghost Ship on tap at the pub I was at.
    Presumably not close to Southwold then. I think Ghost Ship (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic versions) is the one they transport most. It is popular.

Broadside is quite dark, heavier and a lot more flavour but still a bitter and quite strong. Southwold bitter is light refreshing and under 4%.
    I tend to drink Broadside more in winter and Ghost Ship (the ~4% one, haven't actually tried the low alcohol/alcohol free) more in summer. Bitter any time of year. Ghost Ship is lovely on a sunny afternoon in a beer garden, but not tempting to me in the middle of winter with the fire on. Broadside the reverse.

Don't get much of any of it on tap up here though :disappointed:
  • Options
    Every so often when loading PB I'm getting a page saying "Apache2 Default Page / Ubuntu".
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,163
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

I’d have hoped the Tories could do better than hire pupils from the local middle school to put together their social media.
  • Options
    edited February 2

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

I’d have hoped the Tories could do better than hire pupils from the local middle school to put together their social media.
    ... [deleted - Noneoftheabove's point is well made]
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Pupils? Wrong generation by two. It will be a grandad who used to work in media and has retired to Aldeburgh, hence the 1960s and 1980s references.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

If they did hire pupils from the local middle school (are there any middle schools left?), they would probably do a better job.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,439
    I'd imagine that, if the Tories do have any good people on their social media team, then they will be working on the material for the astroturf groups, rather than for their official social media feeds.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Presumably CCHQ did the hiring after Bloggs MP went round and told them that his grandchild had started a 'media company'.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,572
    IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

If the Nazis were at 15% of the UK polls, he’d be out there claiming to have been a founder member.

Do you honestly think this is a sane discourse and reflects well on you?

I understand I tease you about your only friend, the dog, and I get that you felt humiliated after Covid, but really. Get a kind of life. Maybe a second dog. Threesomes
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    This is special, even by The Guardian's standards:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2024/feb/01/i-can-pay-my-council-tax-the-ever-shrinking-world-of-tv-prize-money

Lamborghinis! Holiday homes! Being able to afford petrol! Once upon a time, winning a reality or quiz show meant you could live like an oligarch. Today? Not so much …

I guess they don't think £47,000 is worth worrying about which would explain the lack of f***s given by Mollie at the end of The Traitors.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2024/feb/01/i-can-pay-my-council-tax-the-ever-shrinking-world-of-tv-prize-money

Lamborghinis! Holiday homes! Being able to afford petrol! Once upon a time, winning a reality or quiz show meant you could live like an oligarch. Today? Not so much …

I guess they don't think £47,000 is worth worrying about which would explain the lack of f***s given by Mollie at the end of The Traitors.

The good ole days when Simon and Tracey, friends from Droitwich, win a speedboat to share between them.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Undoubtedly they are. It's a ghastly type of politics that Leon is in the grip of. Seems to swallow any old right wing trope. However "Nazi", no not in that ballpark imo. I probably wouldn't come on here if I felt that - since it would be a forum with 30% of the posts written by a Nazi.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,078
    Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

Dunno. The sherry glass (and contents) are lighter than the wine glass, assuming otherwise similar materials and construction. So each lift of glass burns fewer calories with the sherry glass than the wine glass. Might offset any reduced calorie intake from reduced drinking.

However, the trips to refill the sherry glass could outweigh that, if the bottle is kept at a reasonable distance.

Needs a whole life cycle analysis before any extravagant claims are made, I'd say :wink:
    Great bit of drilldown. Yes, ideally the bottle should be kept in the attic, accessible only by torch and creaky stepladder.

But seriously (since I see there's been some disquiet) this is a perfectly sincere tip for keeping a lid on things once you are no longer in the throes of the addiction (which is me) but obviously it's no silver bullet for someone who is.
    We tend to work by the bottle. If we (wife and I) open a bottle then we normally finish it. But, lending credence to your approach and the research mentioned earlier, we have two sets of wine glasses, one much larger than the other. With the larger set, we can be 2/3 of a way down the bottle if we start at dinner by the time the kids are having their bath. Smaller glasses there's more likely 2/3 left for the evening after the kids are in bed. It doesn't change how much we drink, but it certainly does change how long it takes to drink it.
    Mrs C and I have a glass of wine before our evening meal and another with. Colour and variety depending on what we’re eating.
    Saturday and Sunday we have a glass with lunch as well.
    If we go out for lunch I’ll have a pint of something on tap.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

What’s odd is that there is so much material to use to attack Sir Keir - he is on camera saying one thing, then going back on it on almost every political topic over the last three or four years.

https://x.com/timmyvoe240886/status/1703030484995842357?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

https://x.com/timmyvoe240886/status/1705632053734014989?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

It’s a genuine weak spot for him, yet they come out with this nonsense

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,027

Does anyone have an alternative to nitter to view Twitter links? I installed a nitter extension that renames twitter urls to nitter ones which made Twitter links usable, but nitter seems to not be working anymore?

There is not one single nitter (it's a piece of software run by other people, and different people run different ones). Nitter.net has been having problems for over a week now. Try nitter.cz.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,620
    edited February 2

tlg86 said:

The good ole days when Simon and Tracey, friends from Droitwich, win a speedboat to share between them.
    "Stratton, a male stripper who lives in Wigan, says that now, you would have to win £40,000 to be able to spend like he did when he won £10,000 20 years ago."

• Options
    kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Undoubtedly they are. It's a ghastly type of politics that Leon is in the grip of. Seems to swallow any old right wing trope. However "Nazi", no not in that ballpark imo. I probably wouldn't come on here if I felt that - since it would be a forum with 30% of the posts written by a Nazi.
    Even zis Nazi?

• Options
    tlg86 said:

Noel Edmonds, of all people, when criticised for the paucity of prizes on Deal Or No Deal, testily pointed out that for most people a four figure prize was quite a lot and five figures could be life changing.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

I have one of those Camelbak's for wine in the evening, and it works very well.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,032
    edited February 2

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

If they did hire pupils from the local middle school (are there any middle schools left?), they would probably do a better job.
    There are plenty across the posher towns and villages of Northumberland.
    The lesser ones have been forced into two-tiers and Academised.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Even zis Nazi?

That's not Michael Vaughan, is it?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Every so often when loading PB I'm getting a page saying "Apache2 Default Page / Ubuntu".

Ah!

Thank you for that. I know why that is, and I appreciate you spotting it.

That will require a very small amount of work, and I will sort it today.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Even zis Nazi?

That's an MP18, not a cricket bat.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

"Stratton, a male stripper who lives in Wigan, says that now, you would have to win £40,000 to be able to spend like he did when he won £10,000 20 years ago."

Who needs the Office of National Statistics and their jargon like RPI, CPIH, CPI when we could just have asked a stripper from Wigan.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,862

tlg86 said:

Sounds like a rip-off!
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Who needs the Office of National Statistics and their jargon like RPI, CPIH, CPI when we could just have asked a stripper from Wigan.
    To be fair, the inflation rates for luxury goods are significantly above the regular inflation measures.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Even zis Nazi?

Well he's branched out now - had to, after that "you lot" affair.

But ok, what is the pic then? Something I should know, I bet?
  • Options
    edited February 2
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Even zis Nazi?

Cricket Discipline Commission might have come to a different conclusion had they been presented with this evidence, to be fair!
  • Options
    edited February 2
    Another and more serious point made by the Graun. And onme that could hit a lot of people in the crotch as local authorities fall away from their merely nice to have duties like providing public conveniences. So much for Victorian Values - the Victorians would be profoundly shocked at this neglect of public health.

And of course as remarked the other day Dacorum was paying contractots to hide in bushes and act as Peeping Toms and keep most of the resulting fines caused by Dacorum's own failure to provide public khazis.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/feb/02/britons-on-the-scarcity-of-public-toilets

“You see more people just peeing in the streets now – it’s not good for the city’s economy and small businesses. Tourists complain that they can’t find toilets. Sometimes, when there are public toilets, you have to use coins to pay – [but] not so many people carry cash and they often don’t give change. It’s not nice to see people peeing in the street, and if you gave them a choice they wouldn’t.”

And @Anabobazina trigger warning, too. Apols.
  • Options
    edited February 2
    Cronyism be gone! Selection is based purely on ability. Behold the new, clean, integrity based politics.

Wes Streeting’s boyfriend joins Sue Gray’s son as a Labour candidate at the next GE.

https://order-order.com/2024/02/02/labour-accused-of-stitch-up-over-selection-of-wes-streetings-boyfriend-for-target-seat/
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Even zis Nazi?

You haven't seen JoJo Rabbit?

The film describe by *Mel Brooks* as the best comedy on the Nazis he'd seen in years?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,950

Drink ice-cold beer - for every litre you use up 37 kcal just raising it to body temperature before peeing out.

Cheers! 🍻
  • Options
    Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Even zis Nazi?

Cricket Discipline Commission might have come to a different conclusion had they been presented with this evidence, to be fair!
    They'd have put him in charge of designing the next England uniform?
  • Options
    isam said:

Cronyism be gone! Selection is based purely on ability. Behold the new, clean, integrity based politics.

Wes Streeting’s boyfriend joins Sue Gray’s son as a Labour candidate at the next GE.

https://order-order.com/2024/02/02/labour-accused-of-stitch-up-over-selection-of-wes-streetings-boyfriend-for-target-seat/

Hang on - they do have to be elected. Spot the difference with the House of Lords.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    I'd been under the impression it was considered not quite in good taste to bet on people dying or becoming seriously ill.

But if that's not right, there must be a wealth of actuarial data to help in assessing bets like this.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Even zis Nazi?

The film describe by *Mel Brooks* as the best comedy on the Nazis he'd seen in years?
    Of course, Nazi comedies are not something you see every year, so it's not necessarily a ringing endorsement.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Even zis Nazi?

Yep. It's pretty damn incriminating. Quite clear what he's up to there. But I know what he'd say. He'd say it was a long time ago and he can't remember doing it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Even zis Nazi?

Of course, Nazi comedies are not something you see every year, so it's not necessarily a ringing endorsement.
    You mean you haven’t seen “Springtime For Hitler Part 26 - The Search For A Bigger Sofa”?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Even zis Nazi?

No, I haven't seen that. But have there actually been many comedies on the Nazis for it to beat? Top of my head I can only think of Springtime and Allo Allo.

Most Nazi stuff I've come across is light on the chuckles. Although Leon does have his moments, I suppose.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

tlg86 said:

Noel Edmonds, of all people, when criticised for the paucity of prizes on Deal Or No Deal, testily pointed out that for most people a four figure prize was quite a lot and five figures could be life changing.
    I used to happily watch that. You wish you could go back and throttle yourself sometimes.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,771

Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

Mrs C and I have a glass of wine before our evening meal and another with. Colour and variety depending on what we’re eating.
    I find a couple of 187ml mini-bottles a night helps to keep it under control and allows for alternating red and white. Even that adds up to 35 units a week which, according to current medical advice, is enough to kill a buffalo but not, apparently, me.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,001
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Even zis Nazi?

No, I haven't seen that. But have there actually been many comedies on the Nazis for it to beat? Top of my head I can only think of Springtime and Allo Allo.

Most Nazi stuff I've come across is light on the chuckles. Although Leon does have his moments, I suppose.
    Downfall is funny, especially that scene where Hitler does that impression of Gordon Brown in the bunker and when Mr and Mrs Goebbels mix up their children’s calpol with poison with hilarious consequences.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,643

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Even zis Nazi?

That probably is about 30% of people posting on here 😆
  • Options

Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

I find a couple of 187ml mini-bottles a night helps to keep it under control and allows for alternating red and white. Even that adds up to 35 units a week which, according to current medical advice, is enough to kill a buffalo but not, apparently, me.
    I'm not really one to give advice on drinking (the 'sherry glass' tip will probably be my last) but what's definitely true is that many people can escape serious ill affects on physical health of habitual (but not gross) excess for quite some time due to relative youth.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,643
    edited February 2

This weeks polling average - with clouds especially for @MoonRabbit

No real overall movement as YouGov's and Savanta's changes are opposite and effectively cancel each other out.

There it is. 🤗 The Breakspear Of Political Destiny.

Happy fluffy oblivious clouds, above an angry angry world.

I did mean though that your little unjointed up floating lines were like clouds, to me, it doesn’t really need extra clouds. Though it is terribly strange and artistic with them.
  • Options
    boulay said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Even zis Nazi?

Downfall is funny, especially that scene where Hitler does that impression of Gordon Brown in the bunker and when Mr and Mrs Goebbels mix up their children’s calpol with poison with hilarious consequences.
    Yes, total side-splitter. Forgot that one.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Even zis Nazi?

That probably is about 30% of people posting on here 😆
    Personally, I'd put myself at no more than about 15% Nazi, so there must be some more extreme people pulling up the average :open_mouth:
  • Options
    Chris said:

I'd been under the impression it was considered not quite in good taste to bet on people dying or becoming seriously ill.

But if that's not right, there must be a wealth of actuarial data to help in assessing bets like this.

It used to be illegal to bet on the death of an individual, especially the death of the monarch. That's where the insurance principle of "insurable interest" comes in. I don't know if it's still the case following the liberalisation of betting laws in the Blair/Brown years. But I do know that betting was suspended when Boris got COVID.
  • Options

No real overall movement as YouGov's and Savanta's changes are opposite and effectively cancel each other out.

I did mean though that your little unjointed up floating lines were like clouds, to me, it doesn’t really need extra clouds. Though it is terribly strange and artistic with them.
    Little fluffy clouds? CUE THE ORB!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aTxg-15TfHg
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,181
    viewcode said:

Little fluffy clouds? CUE THE ORB!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aTxg-15TfHg
    I went to see the Orb a few months ago!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,849
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Even zis Nazi?

It's a pretty black comedy.
    Good film.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Chris said:

It used to be illegal to bet on the death of an individual, especially the death of the monarch. That's where the insurance principle of "insurable interest" comes in. I don't know if it's still the case following the liberalisation of betting laws in the Blair/Brown years. But I do know that betting was suspended when Boris got COVID.
    Whatever happened to the free market? All those remain voters who knew he was putting it on could have cleaned up!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,849
    edited February 2
    (US)Real disposable personal income trends have risen back up after the pandemic aid spike and sudden crash.

A valuable metric for public sentiment because money in your pocket—not the stock market or unemployment rate—is "the economy" that middle/working class people feel the most.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1753466373051707623
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Even zis Nazi?

There was this;

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20200925-the-long-lost-hitler-sitcom-that-caused-outrage
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,673
    Groundhog Day - Punxsutawney Phil does NOT see his shadow > early spring (at least in Pennsylvania).

Pennsylvania Polka - Lawrence Welk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Qnlu9Nfj8
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,906
    edited February 2
    kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Talking of Nazis if anyone still goes to the cinema the Cannes Palme d'Or winner is finally out at the cinema. Directed by the excellent Jinathan Glazer and based on the book by Martin Amis 'Zone of Interest' is a most unusual film. Anyone who is interested in cinema shouldn't miss it. It's set just outside Auschwitz and it concentrates on the family of the commandant. Extraordinary soundtrack
  • Options
    edited February 2
    Chris said:

It isn't (in reply to the first sentence).
  • Options
    isam said:

viewcode said:

Chris said:

Whatever happened to the free market? All those remain voters who knew he was putting it on could have cleaned up!
    I actually did - got a nice lay of him 'exiting' in 2020 at a short price before they suspended things. I didn't for a second think he was faking it but I was pretty confident he'd pull through.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,896
    Evening all :)

A propos very little on this Friday evening and in lieu of wittering on about Nazis:

The split of Conservative & Reform vs Labour, Liberal Democrats & Greens - in December 2019 it was 48-47.

We Think: 34-63
    Techne: 33-61
    YouGov: 35-61
    Survation: 34-58
    Redfield & Wilton: 34-62
    Deltapoll: 38-59
    Savanta: 36-59
    Opinium: 37-58
    People Polling: 34-62
    Ipsos: 31-63
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    boulay said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Even zis Nazi?

The scene with the Goebbels family singers is rather unforgettable.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Even zis Nazi?

There was this;

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20200925-the-long-lost-hitler-sitcom-that-caused-outrage
    OMG. No, you couldn't show that. Not on the BBC. Maybe in a couple of centuries.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,347
    Carnyx said:

isam said:

Hang on - they do have to be elected. Spot the difference with the House of Lords.
    They are all at it Dominic Grieve, Mark Pawsey, Ben Gummer Steve Kinnock, Hilary Benn, Lindsey Hoyle, even Peter Temple-Morris.

I don't think this is the smoking gun that say a beer and a curry was.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,001
    Chris said:

boulay said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Even zis Nazi?

The scene with the Goebbels family singers is rather unforgettable.
    It does brutally show the truth of the old adage that under the Nazis your singing family was only safe if you had a friendly nun who sang about mittens on kittens.
This discussion has been closed.