Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This looks an interesting bet – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,995
    Leon said:

Also, we were talking about men and male childlessness and how it is an undiscussed pain, for some

Philip Larkin wrote THE poem about it. So many glints of genius in this, the deliberate hesitations, the ceasuras, the lyrical run-ons, the sad chiming rhymes

Dockery and Son

BY PHILIP LARKIN

‘Dockery was junior to you,
    Wasn’t he?’ said the Dean. ‘His son’s here now.’
    Death-suited, visitant, I nod. ‘And do
    You keep in touch with—’ Or remember how
    Black-gowned, unbreakfasted, and still half-tight
    We used to stand before that desk, to give
    ‘Our version’ of ‘these incidents last night’?
    I try the door of where I used to live:

Locked. The lawn spreads dazzlingly wide.
    A known bell chimes. I catch my train, ignored.
    Canal and clouds and colleges subside
    Slowly from view. But Dockery, good Lord,
    Anyone up today must have been born
    In ’43, when I was twenty-one.
    If he was younger, did he get this son
    At nineteen, twenty? Was he that withdrawn

High-collared public-schoolboy, sharing rooms
    With Cartwright who was killed? Well, it just shows
    How much ... How little ... Yawning, I suppose
    I fell asleep, waking at the fumes
    And furnace-glares of Sheffield, where I changed,
    And ate an awful pie, and walked along
    The platform to its end to see the ranged
    Joining and parting lines reflect a strong

Unhindered moon. To have no son, no wife,
    No house or land still seemed quite natural.
    Only a numbness registered the shock
    Of finding out how much had gone of life,
    How widely from the others. Dockery, now:
    Only nineteen, he must have taken stock
    Of what he wanted, and been capable
    Of ... No, that’s not the difference: rather, how

Convinced he was he should be added to!
    Why did he think adding meant increase?
    To me it was dilution. Where do these
    Innate assumptions come from? Not from what
    We think truest, or most want to do:
    Those warp tight-shut, like doors. They’re more a style
    Our lives bring with them: habit for a while,
    Suddenly they harden into all we’ve got

And how we got it; looked back on, they rear
    Like sand-clouds, thick and close, embodying
    For Dockery a son, for me nothing,
    Nothing with all a son’s harsh patronage.
    Life is first boredom, then fear.
    Whether or not we use it, it goes,
    And leaves what something hidden from us chose,
    And age, and then the only end of age.

BRRRR. That’s tough to read. But brilliantly clear

A poem that hits much harder in my 40s than it did in my 30s.

As to why we don't have poets any more, I suspect the advent of popular music killed it off. All our greatest poets are songwriters now. Hence NigelB's suggestion of Bob Dylan, downthread. When people think Dylan, they think Bob, not Thomas.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,665
    Nigelb said:

Survation have started doing fortnightly polls.

https://www.survation.com/labour-maintains-a-stable-17-point-lead/

NEW: Westminster Voting Intention from Survation’s fortnightly tracker.

LAB 44 (-1)
    CON 27 (-1)
    LD 11 (+1)
    GRN 3 (+1)
    RFM 7 (-1)
    SNP 4 (+2)
    OTH 5 (+1)

F/w 30th - 31st January. Changes vs. 18th December 2023.

Daveygate not cutting through as predicted by the fan boys. Most perplexing.
    Apart from the Con to RefUK switch in the last quarter of 2023 (and that seems to have stabilised), pretty much nothing has cut through for over a year.

Is the swingback train ever going to leave the station?
    Not if ASLEF and the RMT have anything to do with it.
    If Rishi is in charge, the station will not even be built.....
    Its entertaining that there is now a post-HS2 working group led Andy Burnham and Andy Street. Finding solutions to the catastrophic capacity issues which the Brum-only scheme creates. Turns out that there is a really good investment opportunity to build a new railway line from a place called Handsacre to another place called High Legh to connect up these two other bits of railway.

Even better is that the land is both already purchased and has legal powers to build a railway line. As the evil plot to sell the land before Labour gets in hasn't happened (and what do you do with a ribbon strip of land which has planning permission for chuffa tracks?), it would be relatively fast and cheap for a consortium to build it...
    What's the betting it gets sold before the election ?
    The government clearly wants to sell the land, so not a hope in hell of it actually being sold.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,725
    This is superb

“I try the door of where I used to live:

Locked. The lawn spreads dazzlingly wide.”

What gave him the idea to make a stanza break there, after a colon, then the first word. LOCKED.

Magnificently emphatic

And

a style

Is one of the best lines about ageing, ever written
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,982

Pulpstar said:

LAB 44 (-1)
    CON 27 (-1)
    LD 11 (+1)
    GRN 3 (+1)
    RFM 7 (-1)
    SNP 4 (+2)
    OTH 5 (+1)

Apart from the Con to RefUK switch in the last quarter of 2023 (and that seems to have stabilised), pretty much nothing has cut through for over a year.

I'm fully behind pay restoration to 2008 levels for train drivers.
    Salaries are comparable to the average for a commercial airline pilot:

https://www.reed.com/articles/train-driver-salary-benefits
    So long as the revenue comes from the tickets of those they are driving around, I don't see a problem with that. The problem however is that it does not, it comes from taxpayers.

Abolish subsidies and let trains be staffed by whatever revenue comes from their customers - put up the prices if need be, and if the price goes up too far that fewer people travel by train, then fewer drivers will be needed and some will lose their jobs. That's supply and demand.
    Supply and demand does not take into account the externalities. It is of benefit to society generally if more people travel on trains.
    No it isn't.
    I bow before your robust and well-argued case.
    I gave you as much argument as you gave me.

Its hard to prove a negative, its upon the person making the assertion to make their claim before it can be rebutted.
    I'm not making some wild claim here. That trains are, for example, less polluting than road traffic is well-established. Do you need me to evidence that bears shit in the woods next?

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2215454 "Many governments subsidize regional rail service as an alternative to road traffic. This paper assesses whether increases in service frequency reduce road traffic externalities. We exploit differences in service frequency growth by procurement mode following a railway reform in Germany to address endogeneity of service growth. Increases in service frequency reduce the number of severe road traffic accidents, carbon monoxide, nitrogen monoxide, nitrogen dioxide pollution and infant mortality. Placebo regressions with sulfur dioxide and ozone yield no effect. Service frequency growth between 1994 and 2004 improves environmental quality by an amount that is worth approximately 28-40% of total subsidies. An analysis of household behavior shows that the effects of railway services on outcome variables are driven by substitution from road to rail."

https://dergipark.org.tr/en/download/article-file/361350 has some detailed figures.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,780

Dura_Ace said:

That's one of the hoariest stories ever wheeled out by bar-room bores, I must have heard it 15 times over the years.

You can tell this iteration of it is bollocks due to the inexactitude regarding anatine physiology.

Are you calling one of PB's most pungent pundits, a "bar-room bore"?

Tell it to the Extraterrestrial Marines!
    That's the Trans Gay Woke Illegal Alien AI Extraterrestrial Marines, to you
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Supply and demand does not take into account the externalities. It is of benefit to society generally if more people travel on trains.

Why ?

Pollution bad. Trains make less pollution. Trains good.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Also, we were talking about men and male childlessness and how it is an undiscussed pain, for some

Philip Larkin wrote THE poem about it. So many glints of genius in this, the deliberate hesitations, the ceasuras, the lyrical run-ons, the sad chiming rhymes

Dockery and Son

BY PHILIP LARKIN

As to why we don't have poets any more, I suspect the advent of popular music killed it off. All our greatest poets are songwriters now. Hence NigelB's suggestion of Bob Dylan, downthread. When people think Dylan, they think Bob, not Thomas.
    Larkin and Plath are the end of the grand English poetic tradition, 1500 years old. It ended with them

Two great poets tho, so maybe a fitting end. Nothing since has matched them, 21st century poetry is the most awful sentimental gibberish - yes yes, I’m an old man shouting at clouds, I’m also right

Art forms come and go, poetry has gone. Other things replace them - video games are becoming a mighty new art form

But that Larkin poem is a powerful reminder of how poetry can console you even in the darkest moments. That was clearly a dark moment for Larkin, yet he made something beautiful out of it, and he says to us: someone else has felt this, too. Which is itself a solace
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,384
    Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Talking of Betjeman, although he occasionally hit the heights, there's a certain repressed-but-dirty-raincoat-brigade aspect to both him and Larkin that I find a bit off-putting.

They disliked the more generous and colourful culture of the 1960's, but you get the feeling that they went around with their hands rather too deeply in their pockets when they saw "the young people"..

Larkin's last collection was published 50 years ago, in 1974, after which he published only one more major work, Aubade in 1977. Yes, he disliked much about the post 1960s culture with its various liberations (see Annus Mirabilis on 1963!).

But an issue is this: Since Larkin has there been a poet of stature that lots of people actually read?

Both Betjeman and Larkin were highly self aware, and knew that if they produced gold it was out of dross. As Yeats knew:

Now that my ladder's gone
    I must lie down where all the ladders start
    In the foul rag and bone shop of the heart.
    Betjeman was a really fine poet. Larkin is one of the greatest poets in the English language. It is really hard to think of many poets who produced as many memorable and resonant lines as Larkin

I could quote a dozen now from They fuck you up to What will survive of us is love

Only Yeats and Eliot equal him in the 20th century; and maybe Plath in her cometary way

Was he a racist, misogynist, curmudgeonly old git obsessed with lesbian schoolgirl spanking? Yes. Was he a genius poet, so who cares? Also yes
    Was he a racist, misogynist, curmudgeonly old git obsessed with lesbian schoolgirl spanking? Yes. Was he a genius flint knapper, so who cares? Also yes
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,865
    edited February 2
    Good afternoon everyone.

A flyer from the Ashfield Independents appears. This is presumably what Jason Zadrozny thinks will help him win the election.

• Options
    edited February 2

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Talking of Betjeman, although he occasionally hit the heights, there's a certain repressed-but-dirty-raincoat-brigade aspect to both him and Larkin that I find a bit off-putting.

They disliked the more generous and colourful culture of the 1960's, but you get the feeling that they went around with their hands rather too deeply in their pockets when they saw "the young people"..

Larkin's last collection was published 50 years ago, in 1974, after which he published only one more major work, Aubade in 1977. Yes, he disliked much about the post 1960s culture with its various liberations (see Annus Mirabilis on 1963!).

But an issue is this: Since Larkin has there been a poet of stature that lots of people actually read?

Both Betjeman and Larkin were highly self aware, and knew that if they produced gold it was out of dross. As Yeats knew:

Betjeman was a really fine poet. Larkin is one of the greatest poets in the English language. It is really hard to think of many poets who produced as many memorable and resonant lines as Larkin

I could quote a dozen now from They fuck you up to What will survive of us is love

Only Yeats and Eliot equal him in the 20th century; and maybe Plath in her cometary way

Was he a racist, misogynist, curmudgeonly old git obsessed with lesbian schoolgirl spanking? Yes. Was he a genius poet, so who cares? Also yes
    Was he a racist, misogynist, curmudgeonly old git obsessed with lesbian schoolgirl spanking? Yes. Was he a genius flint knapper, so who cares? Also yes
    There are parallels

But thankfully I’ve gotten a lot more sex than poor philip Larkin stuck in his library in Hull, occasionally secreting these genius poems

Larkin would also have LOVED south east Asia, the booze, the warmth, the easy sensuality, the lack of reasons to be a grumpy old fuck, it’s a shame he missed out on global travel
  • Options
    MattW said:

Good afternoon everyone.

A flyer from the Ashfield Independents appears. This is presumably what Jason Zadrozny thinks will help him win the election.

They missed off dog poo bins.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,927
    Leon said:

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

There are parallels

But thankfully I’ve gotten a lot more sex than poor philip Larkin stuck in his library in Hull, occasionally secreting these genius poems

Larkin would also have LOVED south east Asia, the booze, the warmth, the easy sensuality, the lack of reasons to be a grumpy old fuck, it’s a shame he missed out on global travel
    Also... Larkin will be remembered.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,548
    kinabalu said:

My tip to drink wine out of a sherry glass is as relevant to weight loss as it is to combatting alcoholism btw.

Dunno. The sherry glass (and contents) are lighter than the wine glass, assuming otherwise similar materials and construction. So each lift of glass burns fewer calories with the sherry glass than the wine glass. Might offset any reduced calorie intake from reduced drinking.

However, the trips to refill the sherry glass could outweigh that, if the bottle is kept at a reasonable distance.

Needs a whole life cycle analysis before any extravagant claims are made, I'd say :wink:
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,086
    edited February 2

a

Carnyx said:

Tory MP Desmond Swayne calls for fly-tippers to be strangled with their ripped out intestines
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tory-mp-desmond-swayne-calls-32022477

Sensible policies for a happier Britain.

Just wait till he finds out about the PPE mountains.
    On a serious note - why disposable PPE? Yes, it is somewhat convenient to just bin stuff. But dressing medical staff in light weight biodegradable plastic, with tons of gaps will be a fail when we get hit by an airborne virus. aside form the supply issues.

The issues of overheating, fogging, airtightness etc have all been solved for other applications. Making re-useable materials that can survive being dunked in a variety of cleaning chemicals is solved as well. Even electronics that can survive dramatic cleaning measures is a done thing. Fitted masks, using a 3D printed dam to fit exactly to the facial profile of the person using it, is a done thing.

Put it together and you could have a comfortable, easy to use, long lasting system that modularly fits together - so that you could deal with basic threats, but take it all the way to "space suit" level, if required.

Mm, not suggesting you are wrong, but even airborne viruses are very well transmitted by touch when ti comes to snot and sneezes.

As for reusability, the obvious issues are (a) ensuring the cleaning is done properly (e.g. in removing all clotted gunge and (b) the question of contamination with prions and similar, which can't be removed by 'sterilisation' of any remotely reasonable kind. Also the capital and energetic costs of the cleaning. And the degree to which complex mixtures of polymers are downgraded by reuse and cleaning - remember medical infection-proof stuff can tolerate much less damage than, say, a painter's work glove where a spot of paint on the skin isn't (usually) a serious disaster.

Edit: as Selebian says in a slightly different context, lifecycle costs are where it's at.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

There are parallels

Also... Larkin will be remembered.
    I’m not dead yet. Gimme a chance

I had to make the money first. I’ve done that. Nicely. Now for immortality…
  • Options

MattW said:

Good afternoon everyone.

They missed off dog poo bins.
    Also underlined just about everything. Makes one wonder if they were crossing their fingers behind their backs and hoping about the bits they didn't underline, and if the bits they did underline were really that important.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,116
    Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Dockery and Son

BY PHILIP LARKIN

Larkin and Plath are the end of the grand English poetic tradition, 1500 years old. It ended with them

Two great poets tho, so maybe a fitting end. Nothing since has matched them, 21st century poetry is the most awful sentimental gibberish - yes yes, I’m an old man shouting at clouds, I’m also right

Art forms come and go, poetry has gone. Other things replace them - video games are becoming a mighty new art form

But that Larkin poem is a powerful reminder of how poetry can console you even in the darkest moments. That was clearly a dark moment for Larkin, yet he made something beautiful out of it, and he says to us: someone else has felt this, too. Which is itself a solace
    I quite like some of Dana Gioia's stuff - and he gets props for having been a Stanford business graduate, and VP marketing at General Foods (though perhaps not for reviving the Jello brand).

But nothing to match the best of Larkin.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

My tip to drink wine out of a sherry glass is as relevant to weight loss as it is to combatting alcoholism btw.

Dunno. The sherry glass (and contents) are lighter than the wine glass, assuming otherwise similar materials and construction. So each lift of glass burns fewer calories with the sherry glass than the wine glass. Might offset any reduced calorie intake from reduced drinking.

However, the trips to refill the sherry glass could outweigh that, if the bottle is kept at a reasonable distance.

Needs a whole life cycle analysis before any extravagant claims are made, I'd say :wink:
    Also I don’t believe it. No true alcoholic is gonna be fooled by ‘serving wine in tiny glasses’, you’d - I’d - just get angry and demand the entire bottle

I’m not sure @kinabalu’s claims of alcoholism stack up. Seems like a lightweight
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

LAB 44 (-1)
    CON 27 (-1)
    LD 11 (+1)
    GRN 3 (+1)
    RFM 7 (-1)
    SNP 4 (+2)
    OTH 5 (+1)

So long as the revenue comes from the tickets of those they are driving around, I don't see a problem with that. The problem however is that it does not, it comes from taxpayers.

Abolish subsidies and let trains be staffed by whatever revenue comes from their customers - put up the prices if need be, and if the price goes up too far that fewer people travel by train, then fewer drivers will be needed and some will lose their jobs. That's supply and demand.
    No it isn't.

Its hard to prove a negative, its upon the person making the assertion to make their claim before it can be rebutted.
    I'm not making some wild claim here. That trains are, for example, less polluting than road traffic is well-established. Do you need me to evidence that bears shit in the woods next?

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2215454 "Many governments subsidize regional rail service as an alternative to road traffic. This paper assesses whether increases in service frequency reduce road traffic externalities. We exploit differences in service frequency growth by procurement mode following a railway reform in Germany to address endogeneity of service growth. Increases in service frequency reduce the number of severe road traffic accidents, carbon monoxide, nitrogen monoxide, nitrogen dioxide pollution and infant mortality. Placebo regressions with sulfur dioxide and ozone yield no effect. Service frequency growth between 1994 and 2004 improves environmental quality by an amount that is worth approximately 28-40% of total subsidies. An analysis of household behavior shows that the effects of railway services on outcome variables are driven by substitution from road to rail."

https://dergipark.org.tr/en/download/article-file/361350 has some detailed figures.
    What a load of bovine manure.

So your claim is based on the fact that diesel and unleaded vehicles from 20 years go were more polluting than trains?

It may have missed your attention, but we're switching over to hybrid and electric vehicles which eliminates the pollution problem. Clean vehicles aren't emitting emissions, so get your head out of the sand and come up with a new excuse to hate private transportation.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

'Studies have shown' that smaller glasses lead to lower consumption.
    Really.
  • Options
    Still getting the ubuntu apache 2 default page when I hit my PB bookmark... Looks like someone forget the redirect from http to https.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Sorry but this is ridiculous. Alcoholism is a disease not a throwaway word.

If you're an alcoholic then the safe amount of alcohol to consume is zero, glass size doesn't matter.

If you're not an alcoholic, then don't abuse the word.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

a

Carnyx said:

Tory MP Desmond Swayne calls for fly-tippers to be strangled with their ripped out intestines

On a serious note - why disposable PPE? Yes, it is somewhat convenient to just bin stuff. But dressing medical staff in light weight biodegradable plastic, with tons of gaps will be a fail when we get hit by an airborne virus. aside form the supply issues.

The issues of overheating, fogging, airtightness etc have all been solved for other applications. Making re-useable materials that can survive being dunked in a variety of cleaning chemicals is solved as well. Even electronics that can survive dramatic cleaning measures is a done thing. Fitted masks, using a 3D printed dam to fit exactly to the facial profile of the person using it, is a done thing.

Put it together and you could have a comfortable, easy to use, long lasting system that modularly fits together - so that you could deal with basic threats, but take it all the way to "space suit" level, if required.

Mm, not suggesting you are wrong, but even airborne viruses are very well transmitted by touch when ti comes to snot and sneezes.

As for reusability, the obvious issues are (a) ensuring the cleaning is done properly (e.g. in removing all clotted gunge and (b) the question of contamination with prions and similar, which can't be removed by 'sterilisation' of any remotely reasonable kind. Also the capital and energetic costs of the cleaning. And the degree to which complex mixtures of polymers are downgraded by reuse and cleaning - remember medical infection-proof stuff can tolerate much less damage than, say, a painter's work glove where a spot of paint on the skin isn't (usually) a serious disaster.
    Some of the chemicals used in cleaning for welding can degrade anything. Probably helium with a bit of effort. The protective gear has to survive them.

You can stockpile the cleaning chemical, if you like.

Just looking at the protective gear you use for welding chromium steels vs the flimsy "PPE"....
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Dockery and Son

BY PHILIP LARKIN

I quite like some of Dana Gioia's stuff - and he gets props for having been a Stanford business graduate, and VP marketing at General Foods (though perhaps not for reviving the Jello brand).

Poetry is also unbelievably Woke. Weirdly it is arguably the worst affected of the ‘great’ art forms - perhaps because it is not so great and no one gives a fuck anymore and the rewards are tinier than they’ve ever been

But yeah, the Wokeness is incredible. Its incestuous relationship with academe is an issue. Virtually no poets can make a living so they are all employed by universities teaching poetry, and academe is itself the Hadean Pit of Wokery
  • Options

Still getting the ubuntu apache 2 default page when I hit my PB bookmark... Looks like someone forget the redirect from http to https.

I got that the first time after the server move but it's been fine ever since.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

a

Carnyx said:

Some of the chemicals used in cleaning for welding can degrade anything. Probably helium with a bit of effort. The protective gear has to survive them.

Just looking at the protective gear you use for welding chromium steels vs the flimsy "PPE"....
    Ha! It's still easierr for my friend the eye surgeon to use disposable gloves and disposable scalpels etc. on eye surgery (I believe a major prion concern) than it is to wear welding gloves and a welding mask.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

LAB 44 (-1)
    CON 27 (-1)
    LD 11 (+1)
    GRN 3 (+1)
    RFM 7 (-1)
    SNP 4 (+2)
    OTH 5 (+1)

No it isn't.

So your claim is based on the fact that diesel and unleaded vehicles from 20 years go were more polluting than trains?

It may have missed your attention, but we're switching over to hybrid and electric vehicles which eliminates the pollution problem. Clean vehicles aren't emitting emissions, so get your head out of the sand and come up with a new excuse to hate private transportation.
    Trains transport a lot more people than private cars. You're moving lots more car per person. Ergo, more pollution. Trains are really efficient because they run on rails. Electric cars change neither of these.

Don't go all HYUFD on us.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,242
    Pulpstar said:

LAB 44 (-1)
    CON 27 (-1)
    LD 11 (+1)
    GRN 3 (+1)
    RFM 7 (-1)
    SNP 4 (+2)
    OTH 5 (+1)

Front End Seat Warmers as referred to by some in the industry….
  • Options
    edited February 2
    Nigelb said:

Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

Really.
    Removing largest wine glass serving cuts amount people drink, study says

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/wine-glass-drink-alcohol-how-much-b2480920.html#
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464

kinabalu said:

If you're an alcoholic then the safe amount of alcohol to consume is zero, glass size doesn't matter.

It's not ridiculous; it's badly worded.

Personally, I'm not convinced by the sherry glass suggestion - they're just *too* small. But using smaller glasses will help someone who wants to cut down from, say, 25 units a week to 15.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

a

Carnyx said:

Ha! It's still easierr for my friend the eye surgeon to use disposable gloves and disposable scalpels etc. on eye surgery (I believe a major prion concern) than it is to wear welding gloves and a welding mask.
    You haven't tries some of the latest welding masks. Far, far better than the view through one of those disposable face shield pieces of crap. And a zillion times more comfortable.

Disposable gloves I'll give you.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

LAB 44 (-1)
    CON 27 (-1)
    LD 11 (+1)
    GRN 3 (+1)
    RFM 7 (-1)
    SNP 4 (+2)
    OTH 5 (+1)

No it isn't.

Trains transport a lot more people than private cars. You're moving lots more car per person. Ergo, more pollution. Trains are really efficient because they run on rails. Electric cars change neither of these.

Don't go all HYUFD on us.
    If trains are actually efficient they'll be able operate not just without subsidies but be as heavily taxed per mile as road transport is.

Next.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Personally, I'm not convinced by the sherry glass suggestion - they're just *too* small. But using smaller glasses will help someone who wants to cut down from, say, 25 units a week to 15.
    I have a set of old crystal wine glasses, and they are way smaller than today's ones.
    The matching sherry glasses are like thimbles - so good for soju shots.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,822
    edited February 2

kinabalu said:

Someone who wants to cut down is not an alcoholic though.

Alcoholism is a disease whereby when you're drinking you don't stop drinking. You can take as many small glasses as you want, but if you're polishing off that bottle and the next one each day and can't stop then that's alcoholism.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,522

kinabalu said:

Day 2 of my dry month. Its not passing quickly, that's for sure.
  • Options
    Trump’s Tariffs Hurt U.S. Jobs but Swayed American Voters, Study Says
    New research finds that former President Donald J. Trump’s tariffs did not bring back U.S. jobs, but voters appeared to reward him for the levies anyway.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/02/us/politics/trump-tariffs-jobs-voters.html
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Ok I’m gonna defend @kinabalu here

Stop being such a dogmatic, tin-eared, insensitive twat. I was teasing him earlier but actually @kinabalu has written quite eloquently if briefly about his problems with booze addiction. He knows this subject

PB has morphed into a self help group for ageing and cantankerous men who know too much about polling and often need to lose weight but we are also that, a social group, and your remarks are antisocial and crude, so do shut up
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,139
    edited February 2
    Leon said:

Extraordinary, if true. The total pathetic decadence of our politicians

"Newsnight asked (Labour MP) Bell Ribeiro-Addy and (Tory MP) Caroline Nokes about the fact the alkali attacker was granted asylum on his 3rd attempt after a sexual assault conviction

BRA: "His asylum status is not really the issue of concern"

CN: "I think it's wrong to comment on that""

WHY IS IT WRONG TO COMMENT ON THAT. HOW CAN HIS ASYLUM STATUS AND CRIMINAL RECORD NOT BE AN ISSUE OF CONCERN

These people make me want to puke

https://x.com/christiancalgie/status/1753320770468495775?s=20

I had to stop watching last night at this point.
  • Options
    US employers added surprisingly robust 353,000 jobs in January
    The nation’s employers delivered a stunning burst of hiring to begin 2024, adding 353,000 jobs in January in the latest sign of the economy’s continuing ability to shrug off the highest interest rates in two decades
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/us-jobs-report-january-show-steady-hiring-growth-106887552
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,684

Flag @rcs1000 so he can fix it (for www & pb.com; looks OK for vf.)
  • Options

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Stop being such a dogmatic, tin-eared, insensitive twat. I was teasing him earlier but actually @kinabalu has written quite eloquently if briefly about his problems with booze addiction. He knows this subject

PB has morphed into a self help group for ageing and cantankerous men who know too much about polling and often need to lose weight but we are also that, a social group, and your remarks are antisocial and crude, so do shut up
    I apologise, I hadn't read anything anything he has written about problems with booze and was completely unaware of that.

I didn't mean to be insensitive.
    Fair enough, and fair play. I’ll accept your apologies on behalf of @kinabalu if he is not around right now, then I will give them to him in a weirdly tiny flask

• Options
    DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

it gets worse
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,401
    In all this woke nonsense which gets people like TUD obsessing this reply to ‘Was Joan of Arc black’ made me chuckle

https://x.com/waynegb88/status/1753384306615947526?s=61&t=s0ae0IFncdLS1Dc7J0P_TQ
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Someone who wants to cut down is not an alcoholic though.

Alcoholism is a disease whereby when you're drinking you don't stop drinking. You can take as many small glasses as you want, but if you're polishing off that bottle and the next one each day and can't stop then that's alcoholism.
    Yes, I'm not disputing that. But if you replace 'combating alcoholism' with 'alcohol reduction', it's reasonably sensible advice and even more so as a general principle to serve smaller measures. Not everyone who wants to reduce alcohol intake is an alcoholic.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

That's one of the hoariest stories ever wheeled out by bar-room bores, I must have heard it 15 times over the years.

You can tell this iteration of it is bollocks due to the inexactitude regarding anatine physiology.

I wonder if it’s on a par with the batman story which I had, at least, three people claimed happened to people they knew.

• Options

Nigelb said:

Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

Really.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/wine-glass-drink-alcohol-how-much-b2480920.html#
    No, the article says ‘a study suggests’. Pretty meaningless study from anti alcohol lobbyists who, by their own admission, struggled to get bars to participate.

21 bars not being representative of the licensed trade as a whole is meaningless.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

it gets worse
    Just to let you and @DavidL know, I enjoyed a nice pint of 'Ghost Ship' last night.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Someone has to fulfil the role of insensitive cantankerous twat now the old soak, Ishmael, is no longer here spouting venom.

Fair play to Bart for the genuine apology.

It is worth remembering behind every poster is a h human being and, irrespective of their views, most people in real life are decent people. We should be kind.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Nigelb said:

Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

Really.

No, the article says ‘a study suggests’. Pretty meaningless study from anti alcohol lobbyists who, by their own admission, struggled to get bars to participate.

21 bars not being representative of the licensed trade as a whole is meaningless.
    Surely as representative as a 2000 people poll is of the UK voting intention?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

it gets worse
    Just to let you and @DavidL know, I enjoyed a nice pint of 'Ghost Ship' last night.
    The low alcohol version is also very good.
  • Options

Taz said:

In all this woke nonsense which gets people like TUD obsessing this reply to ‘Was Joan of Arc black’ made me chuckle

https://x.com/waynegb88/status/1753384306615947526?s=61&t=s0ae0IFncdLS1Dc7J0P_TQ

My favourite Joan of Arc content.

No sprinklers? Not in Wales then.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

it gets worse
    Yep, that makes me feel so much better. Cheers.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

I wonder if it’s on a par with the batman story which I had, at least, three people claimed happened to people they knew.

Three people who met The Batman?
  • Options

Taz said:

Love it
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,715
    Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

it gets worse
    If you are having Adnams it should be Broadside (or plain bitter if it is a nice day and you want a lighter drink) in my opinion.

Nothing in my opinion beats a pint of Shere Drop but I suspect you have to be within a limited range of Dorking for that
  • Options
    edited February 2

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

I apologise, I hadn't read anything anything he has written about problems with booze and was completely unaware of that.

Well said.

I do think a lot of the problem with discussing drinking, cutting down drinking, comes from the fact that what works for some people doesn't work for others.

If someone offered me wine in a sherry glass, I would go full Get Carter. "You don't serve a man like Jack a drink in those piddling little glasses! Bring him the bloody bottle!" But if it works for others, that's great. And I suspect it does work for Kinabalu.

I know someone (Ghedebrav? sorry if it wasn't you) mentioned AA the other day, and they do seem to go for the "one drink is too much for an alcoholic" approach. I find their views are dogmatic in the extreme, but it's definitely a popular view.

One thing I'm considering is that my relationship with alcohol has changed since Lockdown, pre Lockdown I could take it or leave it, now I wonder if I'm falling into the 'one drink means going on a long drunk' category. Lockdown really destroyed my impulse control in a lot of ways, hence why I still have anger issues in other areas (a lot of Nokia throwing, which I never used to do pre-Lockdown). So I think I have a problem with impulse control in general, not just with drinking.

The trick is not to delude oneself. If one drink is fine, and you can take it or leave, it, great. If you're just kidding yourself about that, because one drink becomes six, and you find yourself down the offie the next day just to take the edge off, it's time to stop kidding yourself. Which is I think where I'm at post-Lockdown. Maybe that will change over time, though. I have a couple of friends who did AA and NA in their thirties and were convinced they could never touch a drop again, but a decade on they have an occasional drink or in one case smokes weed, without it leading to harder things. They grew up and got better with time, it just took a very long break to reset themselves.
  • Options
    Guess which orange narcissist appointed him ?

https://twitter.com/alaynatreene/status/1753401173963379163
    Trump calls Fed chair Jay Powell “political” on Fox Business & claims he’s considering cutting interest rates to help Democrats

“I think he’s going to do something to probably help the Democrats, I think, if he lowers interest rates,” Trump said
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,618
    DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

Year 49 of my dry, er, life started three months ago :lol:
  • Options
    edited February 2
    Just watched Michael Moore's documentary Bowling For Columbine documentary for the first time. Interesting how relevant it still is today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDl-atwBzf0
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

LAB 44 (-1)
    CON 27 (-1)
    LD 11 (+1)
    GRN 3 (+1)
    RFM 7 (-1)
    SNP 4 (+2)
    OTH 5 (+1)

£61,250 can't be real for commercial airline pilots bearing in mind all the initial training they need to do at their own cost, surely ?
    Remember that less than half of airline pilots are Captains. Captain’s salary will be £100k+ at BA/Easyjet.

“Commercial airline pilot” also covers a lot of smaller jobs flying little planes and helicopters around.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,339
    Andy_JS said:

Just watched Michael Moore's documentary Bowling For Columbine documentary for the first time. Interesting how relevant it still is today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDl-atwBzf0

Have you seen 'Roger and Me'? That's good. Funny and dark.
  • Options

Apols for disrupting the porn-peccadilloes site with a politics post but have we done this one?

@techneUK
    NEW POLL: Labour extends its lead as Conservatives falter:

Lab 45% (+1)
    Con 23% (-1)
    Lib Dem 10% (=)
    Reform 10% (+1)
    Green 6% (-1)
    SNP 3% (=)
    Others 3% (=)

https://x.com/techneUK/status/1753358515450659165?s=20

Nothing's changing, is it? Not that there is any reason for it to change.

Ho hum, back to the porn then.
  • Options
    edited February 2
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Well said.

I do think a lot of the problem with discussing drinking, cutting down drinking, comes from the fact that what works for some people doesn't work for others.

If someone offered me wine in a sherry glass, I would go full Get Carter. "You don't serve a man like Jack a drink in those piddling little glasses! Bring him the bloody bottle!" But if it works for others, that's great. And I suspect it does work for Kinabalu.

I know someone (Ghedebrav? sorry if it wasn't you) mentioned AA the other day, and they do seem to go for the "one drink is too much for an alcoholic" approach. I find their views are dogmatic in the extreme, but it's definitely a popular view.

One thing I'm considering is that my relationship with alcohol has changed since Lockdown, pre Lockdown I could take it or leave it, now I wonder if I'm falling into the 'one drink means going on a long drunk' category. Lockdown really destroyed my impulse control in a lot of ways, hence why I still have anger issues in other areas (a lot of Nokia throwing, which I never used to do pre-Lockdown). So I think I have a problem with impulse control in general, not just with drinking.

The trick is not to delude oneself. If one drink is fine, and you can take it or leave, it, great. If you're just kidding yourself about that, because one drink becomes six, and you find yourself down the offie the next day just to take the edge off, it's time to stop kidding yourself. Which is I think where I'm at post-Lockdown. Maybe that will change over time, though. I have a couple of friends who did AA and NA in their thirties and were convinced they could never touch a drop again, but a decade on they have an occasional drink or in one case smokes weed, without it leading to harder things. They grew up and got better with time, it just took a very long break to reset themselves.
    I know people like that. They have reset

I sometimes think AA and NA’’s insistence on total abstinence is overdone; but of course it works for a lot of people and in some cases - near liver failure or constant overdosing - it is the only choice for survival

Sounds like @kinabalu might be worth talking to. He’s moved from a problematic relationship with booze to genial moderation, so I shall stop laughing at his sherry glasses and give him respect

And also, it’s nearly 10pm and time to watch Netflix and sleep. I am basically living like a hard working monk, except with cheap martinis and nice sunshine

Ciaociao
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Dockery and Son

BY PHILIP LARKIN

Poetry is also unbelievably Woke. Weirdly it is arguably the worst affected of the ‘great’ art forms - perhaps because it is not so great and no one gives a fuck anymore and the rewards are tinier than they’ve ever been

But yeah, the Wokeness is incredible. Its incestuous relationship with academe is an issue. Virtually no poets can make a living so they are all employed by universities teaching poetry, and academe is itself the Hadean Pit of Wokery
    My kids studied poetry in English. Mainly modern Scottish rubbish about not very much, some of it positively irritating. But amongst the dross was Assisi by Norman MacCaig:

The dwarf with his hands on backwards
    sat, slumped like a half-filled sack
    on tiny twisted legs from which
    sawdust might run,
    outside the three tiers of churches built
    in honour of St Francis, brother
    of the poor, talker with birds, over whom
    he had the advantage
    of not being dead yet.

A priest explained
    how clever it was of Giotto
    to make his frescoes tell stories
    that would reveal to the illiterate the goodness
    of God and the suffering
    of His Son. I understood
    the explanation and
    the cleverness.

A rush of tourists, clucking contentedly,
    fluttered after him as he scattered
    the grain of the Word. It was they who had passed
    the ruined temple outside, whose eyes
    wept pus, whose back was higher
    than his head, whose lopsided mouth
    said Grazie in a voice as sweet
    as a child’s when she speaks to her mother
    or a bird’s when it spoke
    to St Francis.

It captures why poetry is worth persevering with. You just can't pack that much meaning and insight into so few words any other way.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,618

Dura_Ace said:

Colonial Marines, shirley!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,128
    kjh said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

it gets worse
    If you are having Adnams it should be Broadside (or plain bitter if it is a nice day and you want a lighter drink) in my opinion.

Nothing in my opinion beats a pint of Shere Drop but I suspect you have to be within a limited range of Dorking for that
    Ghost Ship is a very acceptable no-alcohol bitter.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028
    kjh said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

it gets worse

Only the Ghost Ship on tap at the pub I was at.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,035
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Well said.

Yeah I talked about it the other day. I don't think I have a dependency (five weeks in now, and hearing some other people's stories of how they struggled with kicking - forcing themselves to live minute to minute without a drink, such is the need - I haven't had that experience) but I do have a compulsive and ruinous relationship with booze. I'm quite shy and introverted by nature, but a jolly social drunk - wishing every night to be a carnival. But then especially through lockdown became habituated to home drinking, a few nights a week turning to every night, one or two becoming three or four - or more. Never really getting wasted but looking for that glow.

Many would not define me as an alcoholic, but the AA definition is looser tbh - it's about whether you're capable of having a normal relationship with drinking, which if I'm honest I do not. I find the groups and the ritual and the shared understanding very helpful.

It may be that I'm like your friends, and when I retire I'll enjoy the odd stout every now and again. Right now abstinence is the only way for me - but it's not for everyone.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Colonial Marines, shirley!
    How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,579
    With episode 3 of Masters of the Air just released today, the explosive closing statements from the lawyers filling the last day of the latest phase of the PO/Horizon/Fujitsu enquiry streamed live, and the first episode of the latest Apprentice now online, it is impressive now many of you have so much time to post here today :)
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,252
    Further to my post re the Met hiring Post Office investigators, this is yet another example of a body which does not understand the vital importance of avoiding conflicts of interest.

The Met is supposed to be investigating the Post Office - both individuals within it and as a corporate body. So why on earth does it think it appropriate to hire employees from there who are likely to be under investigation or witnesses? How can it reassure others that such people might not seek to share information about the investigation in breach of all duties of confidentiality? After all the investigations are into possible perversion of the course of justice which makes it even more imperative that it might otherwise be to ensure that no Met staff could possibly be accused of this.

It is an extraordinary hiring decision, quite as bizarre as the CPS being content with one of its directors being on the Board of the Post Office at the same time as the CPS has hired a KC to look into possible criminal charges against the Post Office and some of its past or present staff.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,217
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Dockery and Son

BY PHILIP LARKIN

My kids studied poetry in English. Mainly modern Scottish rubbish about not very much, some of it positively irritating. But amongst the dross was Assisi by Norman MacCaig:

The dwarf with his hands on backwards
    sat, slumped like a half-filled sack
    on tiny twisted legs from which
    sawdust might run,
    outside the three tiers of churches built
    in honour of St Francis, brother
    of the poor, talker with birds, over whom
    he had the advantage
    of not being dead yet.

A priest explained
    how clever it was of Giotto
    to make his frescoes tell stories
    that would reveal to the illiterate the goodness
    of God and the suffering
    of His Son. I understood
    the explanation and
    the cleverness.

A rush of tourists, clucking contentedly,
    fluttered after him as he scattered
    the grain of the Word. It was they who had passed
    the ruined temple outside, whose eyes
    wept pus, whose back was higher
    than his head, whose lopsided mouth
    said Grazie in a voice as sweet
    as a child’s when she speaks to her mother
    or a bird’s when it spoke
    to St Francis.

It captures why poetry is worth persevering with. You just can't pack that much meaning and insight into so few words any other way.
    Ha I did that poem at school too! I'd completely forgotten about it until now but it is very good.
    I'm currently working on an epic poem about colonialism, ecocide and toxic masculinity, a kind of dystopian verse novel set in paradise. Maybe it is woke.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,509

Apols for disrupting the porn-peccadilloes site with a politics post but have we done this one?

@techneUK

Lab 45% (+1)
    Con 23% (-1)
    Lib Dem 10% (=)
    Reform 10% (+1)
    Green 6% (-1)
    SNP 3% (=)
    Others 3% (=)

No reason yet as we are not into the election campaign period and no-one is pushing Labour for actual policies and answers to the manifest problems we have.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

With episode 3 of Masters of the Air just released today, the explosive closing statements from the lawyers filling the last day of the latest phase of the PO/Horizon/Fujitsu enquiry streamed live, and the first episode of the latest Apprentice now online, it is impressive now many of you have so much time to post here today :)

Its friday, last day of the inter-semester break and I have 10 things to get done, so naturally I am avoiding all to post crap on PB...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,384
    Taz said:

I think I can see who’s obsessed with who here.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,221

kjh said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

it gets worse

Ghost Ship Low Tide –– yep that is extraordinarily good for an alcohol free beer.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,579
    Cyclefree said:

Further to my post re the Met hiring Post Office investigators, this is yet another example of a body which does not understand the vital importance of avoiding conflicts of interest.

The Met is supposed to be investigating the Post Office - both individuals within it and as a corporate body. So why on earth does it think it appropriate to hire employees from there who are likely to be under investigation or witnesses? How can it reassure others that such people might not seek to share information about the investigation in breach of all duties of confidentiality? After all the investigations are into possible perversion of the course of justice which makes it even more imperative that it might otherwise be to ensure that no Met staff could possibly be accused of this.

It is an extraordinary hiring decision, quite as bizarre as the CPS being content with one of its directors being on the Board of the Post Office at the same time as the CPS has hired a KC to look into possible criminal charges against the Post Office and some of its past or present staff.

Do try and avoid being sidetracked from the main story..
  • Options

@techneUK

Lab 45% (+1)
    Con 23% (-1)
    Lib Dem 10% (=)
    Reform 10% (+1)
    Green 6% (-1)
    SNP 3% (=)
    Others 3% (=)

Time is passing. That's changing.

Two weeks to two big by-elections; postal votes will be going out about now.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I normally agree with you on this topic but think this is a stretch.

The CPS having a Director who is also on the Board of the Post Office at the same time is bizarre and problematic, it is a real conflict of interest.

But people change careers all the time. So long as the person who used to work for the Post Office has quit them now and retains no ties, then they're fully entitled to seek employment elsewhere.

People can't be shunned and blacklisted for life because they once worked for a dodgy institution.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,914
    Nigelb said:

Guess which orange narcissist appointed him ?

https://twitter.com/alaynatreene/status/1753401173963379163
    Trump calls Fed chair Jay Powell “political” on Fox Business & claims he’s considering cutting interest rates to help Democrats

“I think he’s going to do something to probably help the Democrats, I think, if he lowers interest rates,” Trump said

Was it Terry?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,128
    Cyclefree said:

I look forward to the day; July, I think, when the organ grinders from the Post Office are cross questioned, rather than just the monkeys!
    Although I suspect it will be a bean feast for a number of lawyers!
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,156
    Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Well said.

I know people like that. They have reset

I sometimes think AA and NA’’s insistence on total abstinence is overdone; but of course it works for a lot of people and in some cases - near liver failure or constant overdosing - it is the only choice for survival

Sounds like @kinabalu might be worth talking to. He’s moved from a problematic relationship with booze to genial moderation, so I shall stop laughing at his sherry glasses and give him respect

And also, it’s nearly 10pm and time to watch Netflix and sleep. I am basically living like a hard working monk, except with cheap martinis and nice sunshine

Ciaociao
    A lot of it is "the nature of addiction". Most mothers are fed a ton of opiates and yet close-to-zero become addicts. But give opiates to a homeless person, or a stressed-out office worker who lives alone, and the likelihood of becoming an addict is that much higher. The reverse is true (more homeless people kick addictive behaviours when they cease to be homeless for example).
  • Options

kjh said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

it gets worse

Yes, and very often it's the only one available.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Well said.

Yeah I talked about it the other day. I don't think I have a dependency (five weeks in now, and hearing some other people's stories of how they struggled with kicking - forcing themselves to live minute to minute without a drink, such is the need - I haven't had that experience) but I do have a compulsive and ruinous relationship with booze. I'm quite shy and introverted by nature, but a jolly social drunk - wishing every night to be a carnival. But then especially through lockdown became habituated to home drinking, a few nights a week turning to every night, one or two becoming three or four - or more. Never really getting wasted but looking for that glow.

Many would not define me as an alcoholic, but the AA definition is looser tbh - it's about whether you're capable of having a normal relationship with drinking, which if I'm honest I do not. I find the groups and the ritual and the shared understanding very helpful.

It may be that I'm like your friends, and when I retire I'll enjoy the odd stout every now and again. Right now abstinence is the only way for me - but it's not for everyone.
    If it works for you, keep going! I'm definitely in the "abstinence only" mindset too, dunno when or even if I'll get back to normal. I suspect impulse control in other areas (like anger) will be a pretty good pointer for me, though.

The other possibility is lockdown bingeing has permanently rewired my brain, and now it's gone for good. I think it was Jay McInerney who said everyone gets one swimming pool of vodka and one bathtub of cocaine in their lifetime, the trick is to stop before you hit your second...
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,715
    Pulpstar said:

kjh said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

it gets worse

Only the Ghost Ship on tap at the pub I was at.
    Presumably not close to Southwold then. I think Ghost Ship (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic versions) is the one they transport most. It is popular.

Broadside is quite dark, heavier and a lot more flavour but still a bitter and quite strong. Southwold bitter is light refreshing and under 4%.
  • Options
    Even His Majesty’s Government has now abandoned the wet market theory of the origins of Covid

Now it’s no longer ‘of course it came from that pangolin in the market, you racist’ and it has moved to ‘oh well, we’ll never really know, those Chinese are inscrutable, yes maybe the lab but only 20 million died, do you want a biscuit’

Quite incredible. And they will probably get away with it

"Where do we stand on the lab leak theory for Covid?"

@JustinOnWeb asks Government Chief Science Adviser Prof Dame Angela McLean, who says 'we are very unlikely to ever know' the origins of coronavirus.

#R4Today

https://x.com/bbcr4today/status/1752311404844232719?s=61&t=GGp3Vs1t1kTWDiyA-odnZg

Twenty million dead. Trillions of debt accrued. It almost certainly came from misplaced science in a stupid lab. And they just want us to shrug and forget
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,221
    kjh said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

it gets worse

Shere Drop makes it at least as far as Horsell (near Woking). One of my dad's favourites.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,473
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Well this makes a pleasant change. Normally if I see I've been tagged by you I brace myself for something gratuitous and upsetting.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Even His Majesty’s Government has now abandoned the wet market theory of the origins of Covid

Now it’s no longer ‘of course it came from that pangolin in the market, you racist’ and it has moved to ‘oh well, we’ll never really know, those Chinese are inscrutable, yes maybe the lab but only 20 million died, do you want a biscuit’

@JustinOnWeb asks Government Chief Science Adviser Prof Dame Angela McLean, who says 'we are very unlikely to ever know' the origins of coronavirus.

#R4Today

https://x.com/bbcr4today/status/1752311404844232719?s=61&t=GGp3Vs1t1kTWDiyA-odnZg

Twenty million dead. Trillions of debt accrued. It almost certainly came from misplaced science in a stupid lab. And they just want us to shrug and forget

I and many others told you this from the start. It is not provable either way given the way Chinese society is structured and the vested interests in making us believe one thing or the other. Both are possible and society should act to reduce the chances of both paths in future regardless of whichever one it was this time. Move on.
  • Options
    Leon said:

#R4Today

She does not say that it did not come from the wet market. She said she didn't know.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Well this makes a pleasant change. Normally if I see I've been tagged by you I brace myself for something gratuitous and upsetting.
    Well, if you stopped your effete attempts to get me banned, or your snide accusations that I’m some lurid Nazi, perhaps I’d be a little nicer to you

However you are a valued old voice in the pub of PB, which is pleasantly situated in the Belsize Park of civilised debate, and I will defend any of the regulars against obviously unfair criticism, or crude insults, even including you

And now all is good because @BartholomewRoberts has apologised. As you were
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/wethinkpolling/status/1753436922385473600

🔴 Lab 45% (-2)
    🔵 Con 23% (NC)
    ⚪ Ref 11% (-1)
    🟠 LD 9% (NC)
    🟢 Green 5% (-1)
    🟡 SNP 3% (+1)
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,865
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Dockery and Son

BY PHILIP LARKIN

I don't believe that.

I see no shortage of poets.
  • Options

Leon said:

#R4Today

I and many others told you this from the start. It is not provable either way given the way Chinese society is structured and the vested interests in making us believe one thing or the other. Both are possible and society should act to reduce the chances of both paths in future regardless of whichever one it was this time. Move on.
    Yeah, let’s move on, eh

It’s only now 20 million dead. Compare it to the post office scandal where literally hundreds of nice people lost money, and maybe one person committed suicide

This is trivial in comparison. 20 million dead people and entire economies crippled. Why isn’t there an itv drama. What we need to do as a society is forget this ever happened so no one has to take any blame for the greatest human health disaster in a century. That’s the main thing

Also, let’s allow scientists to carry on fucking about with bugs. That seems like a good idea

• Options
    This weeks polling average - with clouds especially for @MoonRabbit

No real overall movement as YouGov's and Savanta's changes are opposite and effectively cancel each other out.
  • Options

Taz said:

Love it

kjh said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

it gets worse

Ghost Ship Low Tide –– yep that is extraordinarily good for an alcohol free beer.
    Absolutely first class. There are some excellent low and no alcohol beers available now.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,473
    edited February 2
    Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

Great bit of drilldown. Yes, ideally the bottle should be kept in the attic, accessible only by torch and creaky stepladder.

But seriously (since I see there's been some disquiet) this is a perfectly sincere tip for keeping a lid on things once you are no longer in the throes of the addiction (which is me) but obviously it's no silver bullet for someone who is.
  • Options
    edited February 2
    Leon said:

Leon said:

#R4Today

Yeah, let’s move on, eh

It’s only now 20 million dead. Compare it to the post office scandal where literally hundreds of nice people lost money, and maybe one person committed suicide

This is trivial in comparison. 20 million dead people and entire economies crippled. Why isn’t there an itv drama. What we need to do as a society is forget this ever happened so no one has to take any blame for the greatest human health disaster in a century. That’s the main thing

Also, let’s allow scientists to carry on fucking about with bugs. That seems like a good idea

You really are struggling with reading comprehension this week...."society should act to reduce the chances of both paths in future regardless of whichever one it was this time".....what do you think that means?
This discussion has been closed.