Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This looks an interesting bet – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,666
    stodge said:

Ghedebrav said:

What has Rishi got left to turn the dial?

I note Labour is now mostly 20+ points ahead.

The rear-guard action vs Reform probably more important for the Tories at this point.
    We know though at most only a third of the Reform vote would return to the Conservatives. About one sixth would vote Labour and half would stay at home if Reform decided not to fight the next election.

That trims (not slashes) the Labour lead by a (massive) two points.

I suspect Reform are strongest where the Conservatives are strongest so their vote piling up in seats with large Conservative majorities may favour Labour but not much. We saw a hint of this in the Clacton constituency polling.
    ‘We know though at most only a third of the Reform vote would return to the Conservatives. About one sixth would vote Labour and half would stay at home if Reform decided not to fight the next election.“

No. We Don’t know that Stodge.

If Tories are two points lower next Friday, and Reform two points higher, you posting here that only a third of that 2% will go back to Tory’s at the election and one sixth of that 2% is more likely to go Labour?

No you won’t say that, because to say that about movement over just 1 week would be flipping daft, would it not?

So how long does it have to be with Reform for it to be solid and come under the one third one sixth sub sample questions?

I’m saying never. I’m saying Reform get a PV under 4% at the GE, as soon as election called everything above 4% ref goes 100% straight over to Tories, and you can’t argue with me, because you can’t possibly know I am wrong.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,883
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

My tip to drink wine out of a sherry glass is as relevant to weight loss as it is to combatting alcoholism btw.

Sorry but this is ridiculous. Alcoholism is a disease not a throwaway word.

If you're an alcoholic then the safe amount of alcohol to consume is zero, glass size doesn't matter.

If you're not an alcoholic, then don't abuse the word.
    Ok I’m gonna defend @kinabalu here

Stop being such a dogmatic, tin-eared, insensitive twat. I was teasing him earlier but actually @kinabalu has written quite eloquently if briefly about his problems with booze addiction. He knows this subject

PB has morphed into a self help group for ageing and cantankerous men who know too much about polling and often need to lose weight but we are also that, a social group, and your remarks are antisocial and crude, so do shut up
    Well this makes a pleasant change. Normally if I see I've been tagged by you I brace myself for something gratuitous and upsetting.
    Well, if you stopped your effete attempts to get me banned, or your snide accusations that I’m some lurid Nazi, perhaps I’d be a little nicer to you

However you are a valued old voice in the pub of PB, which is pleasantly situated in the Belsize Park of civilised debate, and I will defend any of the regulars against obviously unfair criticism, or crude insults, even including you

And now all is good because @BartholomewRoberts has apologised. As you were
    I've never tried to get you (or anyone) banned. The one single occasion you're referring to was actually the dead opposite. I saw you posting images that had an "AI" feel to them and I thought to myself, "Oh no, if he does that he'll be banned because the Site has very firm rules against it. I'd better just nip in and give him a heads up so that that doesn't happen. Maybe he isn't thinking straight today." And it worked. You pointed out that the image was not AI (it was just a photo of a doll you had in your bedroom) and therefore all was well. Because of me.

As for "lurid Nazi", I doubt I've ever said that about you but if I have it was unfair and injudicious (I was probably on my 3rd sherry glass of wine) and I'm happy to resile. Lurid, yes, but Nazi would be seriously overegging it. You're vanilla hard(ish) right of the National Populist variety. Nothing that terrible.
    Backing down in the face of ardent irrationality just makes you look limp.
    But I never have called him a Nazi or tried to get him banned. Which I suppose IS a bit limp, come to think of it. Shape up me!
    He’s not a Nazi simply because currently it would make him a pariah.

If the Nazis were at 15% of the UK polls, he’d be out there claiming to have been a founder member.

No-one who has read any history can fail to see how dangerous are his ilk.
    Do you honestly think this is a sane discourse and reflects well on you?

I understand I tease you about your only friend, the dog, and I get that you felt humiliated after Covid, but really. Get a kind of life. Maybe a second dog. Threesomes
    The nazis thankfully arent on 15% the lds rarely poll above 10%
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,400

kle4 said:

I don't know how many of you have perused the social media posts of Dawn Queva, a schedule coordinator at BBC 3 but they make for interesting reading, if that is the right word.

Why highlight what is just one more deranged anti semitic rant when there are thousands (millions?) out there. Well she works for the national broadcaster and if an employee of GB News said something similarly offensive I think it is fair to say they'd be many a person wanting to focus on it. Secondly there is the creative use of language from someone who is clearly not without a vocabulary or I presume education. Finally there is the frankness of her behaviour. We all know there are plenty of bigots who hide their beliefs for fear of being ostracised by polite society. Yet presumably she doesn't seem to have considered that holding such views would cause her to be in trouble with the guardians of mainstream cultural life in the UK. What sort of social ecosystem does she inhabit?

You'd be surprised how little time I spend perusing the social media posts of minor channel schedule coordinators, BBC3 or GB News. Heck, I do not even know what a schedule coordinator is.

Let me guess, the Free Speech union has found another cause to champion? Some right wing or left wing techie has programmed an AI chatbot to search the social media posts of anyone even remotely in the public eye in order to get them cancelled?
    I suspect even some seasoned antisemites might think she'd gone too far.
    I'd never heard 'Holohoax' before, referring to the holocaust being a hoax. That's quite impressively nasty.

I don't think she's going to hold onto her job for much longer. In fact, I can imagine it may be quite hard for her to get other jobs in future as well.
    Plenty of employers not yet into the habit of googling people.

Depressingly, I'd say the norotoriety will probably open some doors.
    Weren't we reading just the other day that both the Conservative and Labour Parties are scouring candidates' social media posts for possible embarrassment? Their opponents' too, I expect. Now this can be automated, I expect everyone will be at it. Employers, newspapers, police and intelligence agencies.
    Deadline - the entertainment industry site, broke the Dawn Queva story, so very much in their purview what behind the scenes ent industry people say or do.

The posts are so horrific it can't be said to be a free speech issue. A company wouldn't employ someone who was openly Nazi as they'd be a threat to other employees. Her posts are indistinguishable from that and dangerous. What's odd is that she's not been shown the door straight away.

The 'any other type of racism' thing can be overplayed. But it's difficult to imagine a manager who'd gone on several tirades full of other racist epithets wouldn't have been unceremoniously shown the door the moment the BBC were asked for comment and checked it was true.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,959
    edited February 2
    Andy_JS said:

Just got that landing page again. This is some more of what it says, in case anyone's interested.

"This is the default welcome page used to test the correct operation of the Apache2 server after installation on Ubuntu systems. It is based on the equivalent page on Debian, from which the Ubuntu Apache packaging is derived. If you can read this page, it means that the Apache HTTP server installed at this site is working properly. You should replace this file (located at /var/www/html/index.html) before continuing to operate your HTTP server.

If you are a normal user of this web site and don't know what this page is about, this probably means that the site is currently unavailable due to maintenance. If the problem persists, please contact the site's administrator."

Standard template text for a clean install. There is supposed to be a redirect from the page you are hitting:

http://politicalbetting.com/

to the secure site:

https://politicalbetting.com/

But it doesn't appear to be working.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,692

Andy_JS said:

Just got that landing page again. This is some more of what it says, in case anyone's interested.

"This is the default welcome page used to test the correct operation of the Apache2 server after installation on Ubuntu systems. It is based on the equivalent page on Debian, from which the Ubuntu Apache packaging is derived. If you can read this page, it means that the Apache HTTP server installed at this site is working properly. You should replace this file (located at /var/www/html/index.html) before continuing to operate your HTTP server.

If you are a normal user of this web site and don't know what this page is about, this probably means that the site is currently unavailable due to maintenance. If the problem persists, please contact the site's administrator."

Standard template text for a clean install. There is supposed to be a redirect from the page you are hitting:

to the secure site:

@rcs1000 will doubtless be on the case shortly. The other thing users like us can do is update bookmarks to go straight to the https:// version. The trouble is that on MS Edge, at least, it is not easy to update quicklinks rather than bookmarks.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,671
    edited February 2

Leon said:

OK fuck it I will tell you. I did advise you to wait for a more seemly hour, but anyway

That photo shows number 7, road 310, Phnom Penh, in the city's trendy BKK district

It may now be full of pho bars and expat pubs and Ethiopian coffee roasters, but back in the day BKK was a very sleepy suburb yet with a faintly seedy reputation. At number 7 there was, in particular, a famous institution, Madam Chum's bordello and opium den

For decades until the Khmer Rouge anyone who was anyone, with low morals, came here

Along with nice pipes of opium it was notorious as the place where the French indochinese sex trick of the "Cholon Duck" was, apparently, perfected. Originating in the stews of Saigon, at Madam Chum's they took the "Cholon Duck" to a new level

First, a butt naked duck had its head stuck in a drawer, then the drawer was shut tight enough, trapping the duck with its arse sticking out. The panic meant the duck's rear orifice opened wider, allowing the drunk and opiated customer to penetrate more easily, with his virile member. This further increased the panic of the duck - being fucked, without even foreplay - so the orifice then tightened and loosened and tightened, in a cycle, causing "tremendous pleasure" for the duck-violator

Furthermore, the flapping of the duck's angry feet against the testicles led, it is said, to the most intense orgasms ever

After the client had enjoyed his wicked way with the duck, it was quickly despatched (if it hadn't died of a heart attack), it was then defeathered, cooked and served to the same customer in a light curry sauce

Funnily enough a relative of Princess Diana told me a similar story about geese and the English upper classes, with the variation that the drawer was slammed shut while the goose was penetrated. I’d imagine a goose would give your bawbag a right battering. Don’t remember any post coital cooking though, probably handed over to the starving peasantry with a knowing smirk.
    I am glad Conan-Doyle's publisher persuaded him to remove the more lurid passages from The Blue Carbuncle.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Anyone else watching the rugby?

No. But I'm watching the Little Fluffy Clouds videos.
    Takes me back some 35 years.
    Wait. What???
    Fluffy vocals are Rickie Lee Jones.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,639

Whoever wins Penn will almost certainly win the WH says Sarah Smith on BBC.

Hmm...

Is this correct?

I dont think. MI as well is abs crucial?

Well we're confident of winning, and there's a White House in the background....

https://www.facebook.com/PennLabour/
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

What has Rishi got left to turn the dial?

I note Labour is now mostly 20+ points ahead.

If he wants to win the next election, he needs to join the Labour Party.
    His problem is the number of voters who think he already has...
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,031
    edited February 2
    Genius move from JLR:
    • Streisand theft of Range Rovers into most read story on BBC news
    • Attack insurance companies
    I wonder if insurance companies are starting to take into account the danger posed by SUVs to pedestrians/cyclists? That could be part of the reason why they are so expensive to insure. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68188064
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,989

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Wait. What???
    You might still see that in the desert
    Now to take us all back - Paris, Texas :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6ymVaq3Fqk
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,989
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Wait. What???
    I was chatting to two junior colleagues this week and drawing an analogy with a section of Blackadder 4.

Blank stares.

Showed a picture of Rowan Atkinson and got a "Oh! Mister Bean!".

• Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,902

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Wait. What???
    Fluffy vocals are Rickie Lee Jones.
    Whereas this was Alan Parker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHEYoMSDoIQ

"What were the skies like when you were young?"

"I dunno. That's a stupid question. Can't remember."
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,166
    ohnotnow said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Wait. What???
    I was chatting to two junior colleagues this week and drawing an analogy with a section of Blackadder 4.

Blank stares.

Showed a picture of Rowan Atkinson and got a "Oh! Mister Bean!".

One day, I will say "I'll get me coat" and nobody will get the joke.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,225

Whoever wins Penn will almost certainly win the WH says Sarah Smith on BBC.

Hmm...

Is this correct?

I dont think. MI as well is abs crucial?

Plus Wisconsin
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,144
    edited February 3
    O/T

Has anyone visited Luxembourg since they made public transport free for everyone, including tourists? Tom Scott video about it from Feb 2020, just before the policy was implemented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feCQPD9DSOA
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

Has anyone visited Luxembourg since they made public transport free for everyone, including tourists? Tom Scott video about it from Feb 2020, just before the policy was implemented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feCQPD9DSOA

No, but interesting to see the same arguments in that video that we have in the UK.

Free public transport is not the solution. Better to invest the money and get to a stage where you never need to check a timetable or app - the bus or train comes so often, and goes to so many places, it doesn't matter when you leave the house.

In fact, reliability and frequency is part of the reason why I started cycling. Fed up of waiting for buses that were stuck in traffic.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,725
    84.9 kg. Just sayin’
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,144
    "Louis Theroux: Donald Trump will win in 2024
    Times Radio"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQjVcghNo04
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,254
    Well, since @Leon is awake -

From my header last May (https://www.cyclefree.co.uk/the-cheque-is-in-the-post/) -

"Among all these failings, two deserve very close scrutiny.

The approach to the technical (in this case, computer) evidence

"There is a tendency (not confined to the Post Office) to believe there is one technological system which will provide the answer to a problem; and believe only what that technology tells you. Both are foolish, dangerous impulses. (A lesson for us on the cusp of a new technological revolution.)"

And here is Computer Weekly, which first uncovered this scandal, pointing out the dangers of AI for exactly the same reasons as happened here - https://www.computerweekly.com/opinion/AI-will-create-a-thousand-Post-Office-scandals.

I was right to point out the importance of this scandal months ago (and to keep pointing this out). I am right to point out the current conflicts of interest affecting the prosecuting authorities as they try to grapple with what's happened here. And I'm right to point out the folly of believing that technology is either always right or the answer to our problems. The belief in - the wish to believe in - one-stop shop Messiahs, whether human or technological, is a very human failing - and a dangerous one. What this scandal above all should teach us is that outsourcing our judgment and decisions to artificial, unknowable and powerful systems is very foolish indeed.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,136
    Andy_JS said:

"Louis Theroux: Donald Trump will win in 2024
    Times Radio"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQjVcghNo04

Sure.
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 597
    edited February 3
    My 6 Nations predictions
    =====≈=====
    I was too late to predict the France - Ireland game - FWIW I was going with Ireland but by 7 pts. Did not expect such an emphatic win...can not see anyone stopping an Irish Grand Slam.

Italy England should be straightforward enough - Italy have toughened up a bit but still England by 20 pts

Wales Scotland will be closer - but Wales have too many young inexperienced players to match Scotlands wiser heads - Scotland by 7 pts (first win in Cardiff in 22 years). Unless Wales can get some of their injured players back we wont beat Italy either!!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024
    Penddu2 said:

My 6 Nations predictions
    =====≈=====
    I was too late to predict the France - Ireland game - FWIW I was going with Ireland but by 7 pts. Did not expect such an emphatic win...can not see anyone stopping an Irish Grand Slam.

Italy England should be straightforward enough - Italy have toughened up a bit but still England by 20 pts

Wales Scotland will be closer - but Wales have too many young inexperienced players to match Scotlands wiser heads - Scotland by 7 pts (first win in Cardiff in 22 years). Unless Wales can get some of their injured players back we wont beat Italy either!!

Yeah, didn’t exactly expect the Irish to get a rout in Marseille, now looking ominous for everyone else trying to stop the green machine running to another Slam.
  • Options
    396 for India, a good score but not unbeatable. After the last Test, anything is possible!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

From my header last May (https://www.cyclefree.co.uk/the-cheque-is-in-the-post/) -

"There is a tendency (not confined to the Post Office) to believe there is one technological system which will provide the answer to a problem; and believe only what that technology tells you. Both are foolish, dangerous impulses. (A lesson for us on the cusp of a new technological revolution.)"

And here is Computer Weekly, which first uncovered this scandal, pointing out the dangers of AI for exactly the same reasons as happened here - https://www.computerweekly.com/opinion/AI-will-create-a-thousand-Post-Office-scandals.

I was right to point out the importance of this scandal months ago (and to keep pointing this out). I am right to point out the current conflicts of interest affecting the prosecuting authorities as they try to grapple with what's happened here. And I'm right to point out the folly of believing that technology is either always right or the answer to our problems. The belief in - the wish to believe in - one-stop shop Messiahs, whether human or technological, is a very human failing - and a dangerous one. What this scandal above all should teach us is that outsourcing our judgment and decisions to artificial, unknowable and powerful systems is very foolish indeed.

Is that the case with AI ?

Surely it's more that we're already rather scared of what it might do, if it proves as powerful as some predict.
    That it's already surprisingly competent at some tasks, but is unreliable, and we don't entirely understand how it works, is something of a truism.

Of course we're going ahead full tilt anyway.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,397

Andy_JS said:

to the secure site:

@rcs1000 will doubtless be on the case shortly. The other thing users like us can do is update bookmarks to go straight to the https:// version. The trouble is that on MS Edge, at least, it is not easy to update quicklinks rather than bookmarks.
    MS edge is ugh. Why are you using it.?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

396 for India, a good score but not unbeatable. After the last Test, anything is possible!

On that pitch, a good effort to restrict them to less than 400, after 22 year old Jaiswal's great innings. Almost carried his bat, too.
    India would be struggling without him.

An opener who also has the fastest 50 in IPL history.
  • Options
    edited February 3

Andy_JS said:

to the secure site:

rcs1000 will doubtless be on the case shortly. The other thing users like us can do is update bookmarks to go straight to the https:// version. The trouble is that on MS Edge, at least, it is not easy to update quicklinks rather than bookmarks.
    MS edge is ugh. Why are you using it.?
    I use the three main browsers. Firefox for mail, Edge for pb, news and youtube, Chrome for ecommerce. It makes it easier to find stuff on a crowded desktop. And yes, I know I should use a single browser and tab groups and tiled windows but this is easier.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

It’s totally bonkers that we’ve got to the point where computer systems are treated as infallible by the courts. Anyone who’s ever worked on computer systems will tell you that there’s always bugs in any piece of software. The Space Shuttle had four flight computers, three of which were the same and could vote out a faulty device; the fourth one was totally different, programmed by different people to the same written specification, and only existed because of the possibility that there was faulty software on all three of the main computers, despite the very extensive testing that went into them. When people can die and headline news gets made if software screws up, it gets reviewed in detail and has a backup system.

Computer Weekly have been brilliant on the Post Office scandal, precisely because their journalists have a tech background and understand software. Private Eye have also been very good, because they have old-fashioned investigative hacks on their team, who can sniff a massive scandal from a mile away. The rest of the mainstream media, on the other hand, not so much.

I know that it’s now seen as conspiracy theory that a Chinese-style social credit score system is arriving in the West, whereby you can quickly become a non-person for trivial reasons, yet “Computer Says No” was a comedy skit from two decades ago (yes, that was 2004), the move away from cash and the introduction of digital currencies only makes it more likely that innocent people will become totally cut off from the financial system, and be unable to do anything about it.
  • Options
    Japan the latest country to offer ‘Digital Nomad’ visas to remote-working professionals.

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/301284/20240202/japan-launches-new-visa-digital-nomads-work-remotely.htm

You’ll need to earn 10m yen ($68k) and it’s only valid for six months, but an amazing opportunity to see a country that’s usually quite closed to immigrants.

@edmundintokyo what do you think?

Personally I’m interested in going to Expo 2025 in Kyoto, having seen it in my own country of residence in 2021, to be combined with the F1 race in Suzuka.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,548
    edited February 3
    England trying their hardest to throw it away. India helpfully co-operate by flubbing the chance but they’ll need to do that a lot more if England are to prosper.

What’s a competitive score on this pitch under these circumstances? I would have said anything under 600 sees India still very much in the game.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

It’s totally bonkers that we’ve got to the point where computer systems are treated as infallible by the courts. Anyone who’s ever worked on computer systems will tell you that there’s always bugs in any piece of software. The Space Shuttle had four flight computers, three of which were the same and could vote out a faulty device; the fourth one was totally different, programmed by different people to the same written specification, and only existed because of the possibility that there was faulty software on all three of the main computers, despite the very extensive testing that went into them. When people can die and headline news gets made if software screws up, it gets reviewed in detail and has a backup system.

Computer Weekly have been brilliant on the Post Office scandal, precisely because their journalists have a tech background and understand software. Private Eye have also been very good, because they have old-fashioned investigative hacks on their team, who can sniff a massive scandal from a mile away. The rest of the mainstream media, on the other hand, not so much.

I know that it’s now seen as conspiracy theory that a Chinese-style social credit score system is arriving in the West, whereby you can quickly become a non-person for trivial reasons, yet “Computer Says No” was a comedy skit from two decades ago (yes, that was 2004), the move away from cash and the introduction of digital currencies only makes it more likely that innocent people will become totally cut off from the financial system, and be unable to do anything about it.
    Wasn’t it because GATSO speed cameras had a MoE, so people were getting speeding tickets cancelled by challenging their accuracy?

Therefore, the Blair government passed a law that technological evidence could not be challenged in court.

If that is the case, it was a piece of lunacy that makes Iraq look sane. What sort of idiot says ‘People are getting away with things because the technology is shit, why don’t we just declare it isn’t rather than understanding its shortcomings and rethinking accordingly?’

But very New Labour…
  • Options
    edited February 3
    ydoethur said:

England trying their hardest to throw it away. India helpfully co-operate by flubbing the chance but they’ll need to do that a lot more if England are to prosper.

What’s a competitive score on this pitch under these circumstances? I would have said anything under 600 sees India still very much in the game.

When you gave two teams that can score big scores very quickly, along with a vulnerability to abject collapses, prediction isn't easy.

I would be surprised by 4/1 to either England or India.

(Edit) India still very much in it !
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

When you gave two teams that can score big scores very quickly, along with a vulnerability to abject collapses, prediction isn't easy.

Well, England haven’t made their task any easier with that wicket.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,582
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Wasn’t it because GATSO speed cameras had a MoE, so people were getting speeding tickets cancelled by challenging their accuracy?

Therefore, the Blair government passed a law that technological evidence could not be challenged in court.

If that is the case, it was a piece of lunacy that makes Iraq look sane. What sort of idiot says ‘People are getting away with things because the technology is shit, why don’t we just declare it isn’t rather than understanding its shortcomings and rethinking accordingly?’

But very New Labour…
    Getting away with things by claiming the technology was ****; not quite the same.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,582
    edited February 3
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

It’s the same ‘fetch’ my dog plays, but with eleven humans running about after the ball

The dog can do it on his own.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

But very New Labour…
    Yes I think speed cameras had something to do with it.

A lawyer called Nick Freeman made a name for himself challenging speeding tickets by asking for the calibration certificates of speed cameras and speed guns used by police, who also needed to have a training record. It was pretty often the Crown would drop the charges rather than produce calibration certs and training records in court - which suggests they were somewhat less than perfect in keeping record of these things, and that many other motorists who just pleased guilty and took the points could have won if they’d gone to court.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    Sandpit said:

Japan the latest country to offer ‘Digital Nomad’ visas to remote-working professionals.

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/301284/20240202/japan-launches-new-visa-digital-nomads-work-remotely.htm

You’ll need to earn 10m yen ($68k) and it’s only valid for six months, but an amazing opportunity to see a country that’s usually quite closed to immigrants.

Personally I’m interested in going to Expo 2025 in Kyoto, having seen it in my own country of residence in 2021, to be combined with the F1 race in Suzuka.

Yeah, it sounds good in principle. Previously you could do 3 months by just showing up on a tourist visa and people used to do that then sod off to Korea for a bit then come back for another 3 months. Also I think it was technically possible to go to immigration and extend a tourist visa. So if you were working remotely and they had no way to know you could basically do this in practice already. But it makes sense to regularize it so you don't have to pretend you're not working and you don't have the lingering uncertainty about the second 3 months.

I expect that when they announce the detail we'll find that they've engineered some way to fuck it up though.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

But very New Labour…
    Getting away with things by claiming the technology was ****; not quite the same.
    All right, let me rephrase that - ‘by pointing out the technology was imperfect.’

It’s still stupid. Your match your laws to the performance of the enforcement systems, not the other way around.

It is a bit like Goering officially ordering the Luftwaffe that the Allies didn’t have long range fighter capacity despite that fighter being shot down over the Ruhr.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

But very New Labour…

A lawyer called Nick Freeman made a name for himself challenging speeding tickets by asking for the calibration certificates of speed cameras and speed guns used by police, who also needed to have a training record. It was pretty often the Crown would drop the charges rather than produce calibration certs and training records in court - which suggests they were somewhat less than perfect in keeping record of these things, and that many other motorists who just pleased guilty and took the points could have won if they’d gone to court.
    This could be another 'miscarriage of justice' - lives destroyed by driving bans and prison sentences based on technically flawed speeding evidence that only the occasional lawyer would have dug into at the time. One of an endless range of dormant and buried injustices, ripe for unearthing.

• Options
    darkage said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

But very New Labour…

This could be another 'miscarriage of justice' - lives destroyed by driving bans and prison sentences based on technically flawed speeding evidence that only the occasional lawyer would have dug into at the time. One of an endless range of dormant and buried injustices, ripe for unearthing.

I think that a bit unlikely,
    Tbh. We are talking about ‘margins of error’ in that case. The difference between doing 36 and 32 to get a small fine and penalty points. Not the difference between doing 50 and 30 to get a ban from driving.

Of course, penalty points can add up. But if you’re close to the limit for a ban, it’s open to you to drive *within* the speed limit…
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Yeah, it sounds good in principle. Previously you could do 3 months by just showing up on a tourist visa and people used to do that then sod off to Korea for a bit then come back for another 3 months. Also I think it was technically possible to go to immigration and extend a tourist visa. So if you were working remotely and they had no way to know you could basically do this in practice already. But it makes sense to regularize it so you don't have to pretend you're not working and you don't have the lingering uncertainty about the second 3 months.

I expect that when they announce the detail we'll find that they've engineered some way to fuck it up though.
    This sounds like a 'double tax' nightmare to me.
  • Options
    edited February 3
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

It’s the same ‘fetch’ my dog plays, but with eleven humans running about after the ball

The dog can do it on his own.
    Can he bat ?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,397
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Why are you so negative?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

darkage said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

But very New Labour…

I think that a bit unlikely,
    Tbh. We are talking about ‘margins of error’ in that case. The difference between doing 36 and 32 to get a small fine and penalty points. Not the difference between doing 50 and 30 to get a ban from driving.

Of course, penalty points can add up. But if you’re close to the limit for a ban, it’s open to you to drive *within* the speed limit…
    No, it’s about the police maintaining correct records of calibration certificates and training records. What the computers say is totally irrelevant if they and their operators are not certified.
  • Options
    edited February 3
    darkage said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

But very New Labour…

Possible, but to get to a driving ban or prison sentence takes a great deal of speeding or other forms of dangerous driving. Police usually apply a margin for error to take account of calibration issues.

That's why the Post Office scandal is so concerning - there was no margin for error, no pattern of behaviour, no other evidence. Horizon = the truth.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Why are you so negative?
    Because everything time I post something positive, they screw things up.
  • Options
    edited February 3

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Why are you so negative?
    Because every time he isn't, we tend to lose a wicket.

The cricketing jinx is the one superstition I cling to.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Sandpit said:

One of the conditions of the new visa (this may affect @Sandpit ) seems to be that the country you're a tax resident of has to have a taxation treaty with Japan. I know nothing but the knowledgeable people on r/JapanFinance seem to think that this means you wouldn't normally be liable for Japanese income tax as long as your employer isn't a tax resident of Japan.
  • Options
    This is an incredible story. A woman expresses perfectly legal “gender critical” views on Twitter

She is also a fan of the Toon

She is then investigated by some creepy “agency” within the Premier League, they compile an entire dossier on her life and doings, right down to where she walks her dog, the file is passed to NUFC - who ban her from the ground for two seasons

All for saying “a woman can’t have a penis”

https://x.com/speechunion/status/1753528554929947067?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

darkage said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

But very New Labour…

Possible, but to get to a driving ban or prison sentence takes a great deal of speeding or other forms of dangerous driving. Police usually apply a margin for error to take account of calibration issues.

That's why the Post Office scandal is so concerning - there was no margin for error, no pattern of behaviour, no other evidence. Horizon = the truth.
    Yeah but I think it is an example of a situation of which there are thousands. I'd guess the next thing is criminal convictions based on 'forensics' based on cultural myths such as 'DNA doesn't lie' and star witnesses saying 'its a one in a billion match', with the Criminal Cases Review Commission asleep at the wheel as the doubt creeps in over subsequent years due to technological change. The current situation with Malkinson is a taste of things to come on this front (although in his case the issue is that there was evidence that exonerated him that was being ignored). Whilst the people involved have gone through difficult times, the Post office situation isn't even that serious in the scheme of things.
  • Options
    edited February 3

darkage said:

Sandpit said:

One of the conditions of the new visa (this may affect @Sandpit ) seems to be that the country you're a tax resident of has to have a taxation treaty with Japan. I know nothing but the knowledgeable people on r/JapanFinance seem to think that this means you wouldn't normally be liable for Japanese income tax as long as your employer isn't a tax resident of Japan.
    Ah that interesting. There’s confusing reporting between ‘residents’ and ‘citizens’ of various countries, which as you say likely relates to tax treaties. So if you’re British, working for a UK employer, and paying UK income tax then it’s fine, but if you’re British and working for a UAE employer, where there’s no income tax and no tax treaty with Japan, it’s not allowed.

I’ll have to limit my trip to three months then! (Actually it will be two or three weeks, as my wife has a desk job and can’t take months off).
  • Options

darkage said:

Sandpit said:

Did they look in to social security issues? I think this is often a major barrier to this type of arrangement, employers getting nervous that agreeing to such remote working makes them liable for social security in another country.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,022
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Why are you so negative?

I’m saying nothing. My posts about an impending England victory last Sunday appear to have been the most controversial messages I’ve ever posted on PB.
  • Options
    edited February 3

darkage said:

Sandpit said:

I’ve looked at a few digital nomad visas, and I have to say the Japanese have done well to construct maybe the least appealing DNV of all

1. Tax treaty issues
    2. $68k
    3. You only get 6 months

How does this differ from getting a normal tourist visa and doing the odd visa run, except it’s much more hassle?

I love Japan, but really, this looks to me like the Japanese realising they have a demographic problem, and trying to fix it, but in a deliberately half arsed way because, deep down, they still don’t want foreigners in Japan
  • Options
    darkage said:

Eabhal said:

darkage said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

But very New Labour…

Yeah but I think it is an example of a situation of which there are thousands. I'd guess the next thing is criminal convictions based on 'forensics' based on cultural myths such as 'DNA doesn't lie' and star witnesses saying 'its a one in a billion match', with the Criminal Cases Review Commission asleep at the wheel as the doubt creeps in over subsequent years due to technological change. The current situation with Malkinson is a taste of things to come on this front (although in his case the issue is that there was evidence that exonerated him that was being ignored). Whilst the people involved have gone through difficult times, the Post office situation isn't even that serious in the scheme of things.
    Speeding fines = low impact, possibly millions of cases (depending on whether margin of error used by police)
    Post Office = high impact, thousands of cases
    Rape/murder DNA = extremely high impact, a few cases?

I think TV licensing is more likely to be the next scandal, particularly as I can imagine a conspiracy of silence across the BBC, government, magistrate courts (which process the cases in large batches).
  • Options

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Why are you so negative?

I’m saying nothing. My posts about an impending England victory last Sunday appear to have been the most controversial messages I’ve ever posted on PB.
    You were right, and the rest of us wrong.

I posted that England should just give up and take a few days off, then posted that at least we avoided the innings defeat!

One of the most unlikely wins in the last decade, but that’s why cricket is brilliant.
  • Options
    edited February 3
    Leon said:

darkage said:

Sandpit said:

I’ve looked at a few digital nomad visas, and I have to say the Japanese have done well to construct maybe the least appealing DNV of all

1. Tax treaty issues
    2. $68k
    3. You only get 6 months

How does this differ from getting a normal tourist visa and doing the odd visa run, except it’s much more hassle?

I love Japan, but really, this looks to me like the Japanese realising they have a demographic problem, and trying to fix it, but in a deliberately half arsed way because, deep down, they still don’t want foreigners in Japan
    I don't think it's anything to do with demographic problems, since it's clearly time-limited and specific to people without an employer in Japan. I think what's happening is

- PM / economics ministry are saying they should be doing international things and tech things
    - They noticed that other countries are doing digital nomad visas and asked the Immigration Ministry why Japan wasn't doing that
    - Immigration ministry doesn't want to change anything because that's how they roll

-> Immigration ministry throw them a bone that basically regularizes what's happening already
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,800
    A
    Eabhal said:

darkage said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

But very New Labour…

Using a margin of error to account for calibration issues on “speed guns” has one small flaw.

It’s not actually been tested, scientifically. It’s a made up thing. To get around the chronic inability to actually calibrate the devices and keep records of same.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

darkage said:

Eabhal said:

darkage said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

But very New Labour…

Speeding fines = low impact, possibly millions of cases (depending on whether margin of error used by police)

I think TV licensing is more likely to be the next scandal, particularly as I can imagine a conspiracy of silence across the BBC, government, magistrate courts (which process the cases in large batches).
    TV licensing is horrific, the victims mostly single mothers existing on benefits, many of whom aren’t actually aware of the case going to court, and the evidence is their own statement to someone who knocked on their door unannounced.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

darkage said:

Eabhal said:

darkage said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

But very New Labour…

The DNA problem I have outlined may become more significant when you factor in things like burglaries and 'irrefutable DNA evidence' leading to rushed guilty pleas, it could easily be escalated to 'post office' levels of significance and more.
  • Options
    Bugger.

TBF to Crawley, taking the bowling on on this pitch seems to have been the right approach, but it's still annoying that he yet again gives it away.

Root in. Needs some runs.
  • Options
    Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Liz Truss is said to have given up on her own leadership ambitions but ­believes that she will have a significant role in the appointment of the next ­Tory leader. She has continued inviting candidates, including some in safe seats replacing outgoing MPs, to her ­favoured club of 5 Hertford Street in Mayfair for drinks.

Truss and other right-wing Tory MPs including Lee Anderson, the former deputy chairman of the Conservative Party, will next week launch a movement called “popular conservatism”. It aims to promote small state, economic liberalism with a socially conservative agenda.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sunak-attempts-to-rally-the-troops-but-is-running-out-of-time-7m0ppswqk
  • Options

Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Liz Truss is said to have given up on her own leadership ambitions but ­believes that she will have a significant role in the appointment of the next ­Tory leader. She has continued inviting candidates, including some in safe seats replacing outgoing MPs, to her ­favoured club of 5 Hertford Street in Mayfair for drinks.

Truss and other right-wing Tory MPs including Lee Anderson, the former deputy chairman of the Conservative Party, will next week launch a movement called “popular conservatism”. It aims to promote small state, economic liberalism with a socially conservative agenda.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sunak-attempts-to-rally-the-troops-but-is-running-out-of-time-7m0ppswqk

Has she not quite understood that 'popular conservatism' is just, well, not very popular? Not to mention economically suicidal.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,665
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Surely it's more that we're already rather scared of what it might do, if it proves as powerful as some predict.
    That it's already surprisingly competent at some tasks, but is unreliable, and we don't entirely understand how it works, is something of a truism.

Depends how much reliability matters.

For some things, generating pictures or magazine articles or simulating conversations, reliability doesn't really matter. It's OK for an AI artist/journalist to be unreliable, because their human equivalents generally are and not much harm is done. As long as said journalists stick to what they are good at and don't try to run the country.

For some things that are really difficult for humans to do, it's plausible for AI to be better than humans. Matching patterns in medical images, probably comes in that category. Working out which bit of information should best come next in a teaching sequence probably does as well.

The difficulty comes with things where we desire high reliability that can be interrogated. Why did the system come to that conclusion? Matters of life and liberty are like that, and I don't think we're getting anywhere with that AI-wise.
  • Options
    edited February 3

A

Eabhal said:

darkage said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

But very New Labour…

Using a margin of error to account for calibration issues on “speed guns” has one small flaw.

It’s not actually been tested, scientifically. It’s a made up thing. To get around the chronic inability to actually calibrate the devices and keep records of same.
    Fair. Still, given the exceptionally low rate of detection, 12 points system etc, the probability of a miscarriage of justice with serious implications are very low.

This might change through the massive increase in cloned plates. Check out various motoring forums for people spending hours finding evidence that their car cannot have been in a ULEZ, speeding fine etc. There will be a point soon at which a registration plate is not enough to convict someone of an offence.
  • Options
    See I always knew the royals making Meghan Markle feel bad was all to do with colour.

The late Queen thought that the Duchess of Sussex’s wedding dress was “too white” for a divorcee, a new book claims.

Ingrid Seward, the former editor-in-chief of Majesty magazine, said that Elizabeth II never voiced her opinion about the duchess to anyone except her closest confidantes, including Lady Elizabeth Anson, her cousin.

Anson is reported in an extract of Seward’s book, My Mother and I, to have claimed that the late Queen considered Meghan’s dress improper for a woman who had been married before.

“In the monarch’s view, it was not appropriate for a divorcee getting remarried in church to look quite so flamboyantly virginal,” Seward writes in an extract of the book, published in the Daily Mail.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/queen-called-meghans-wedding-dress-too-white-for-divorcee-qcz9ck0v7
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    ydoethur said:

Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Has she not quite understood that 'popular conservatism' is just, well, not very popular? Not to mention economically suicidal.
    She was not remotely conservative.

Unpopular Reckless Egotism has a nice ring to her new movement UnPopWrecks,
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

For some things, generating pictures or magazine articles or simulating conversations, reliability doesn't really matter. It's OK for an AI artist/journalist to be unreliable, because their human equivalents generally are and not much harm is done. As long as said journalists stick to what they are good at and don't try to run the country.

For some things that are really difficult for humans to do, it's plausible for AI to be better than humans. Matching patterns in medical images, probably comes in that category. Working out which bit of information should best come next in a teaching sequence probably does as well.

The difficulty comes with things where we desire high reliability that can be interrogated. Why did the system come to that conclusion? Matters of life and liberty are like that, and I don't think we're getting anywhere with that AI-wise.
    The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots. They do exactly what you tell them at amazing speed. Even if you order them to kill you. So if you do happen to change your mind, it's very difficult to stop them from obeying the original order.
  • Options
    edited February 3

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

AI is used extensively in Australia for mobile phone and seatbelt enforcement - it pings a suspect image to a human who checks the image before issuing a fine.

A brilliant innovation - a rare example of public sector productivity growth - but you can see where it could lead.
  • Options
    Fuxsake Root.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

A

Eabhal said:

darkage said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

But very New Labour…

Fair. Still, given the exceptionally low rate of detection, 12 points system etc, the probability of a miscarriage of justice with serious implications are very low.

This might change through the massive increase in cloned plates. Check out various motoring forums for people spending hours finding evidence that their car cannot have been in a ULEZ, speeding fine etc. There will be a point soon at which a registration plate is not enough to convict someone of an offence.
    Cloned number plates is also a massive problem. If plates are to be used as evidence of a specific vehicle, then the UK will need to move to a US-style system of stamped plates from a government-run facility.

In the meantime, everyone should make sure that a photo of their car is unique, and distinguishable from a photo of the same make, model, colour car with your number plate on it. Use stickers or otherwise modify your car from the front and back, and take a photo of it the day you do. That photo maybe what gets you off when dragged into court.
  • Options
    Root you t**t.
  • Options
    edited February 3
    Sandpit said:

Eabhal said:

A

Eabhal said:

darkage said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

But very New Labour…

Cloned number plates is also a massive problem. If plates are to be used as evidence of a specific vehicle, then the UK will need to move to a US-style system of stamped plates from a government-run facility.

In the meantime, everyone should make sure that a photo of their car is unique, and distinguishable from a photo of the same make, model, colour car with your number plate on it. Use stickers or otherwise modify your car from the front and back, and take a photo of it the day you do. That photo maybe what gets you off when dragged into court.
    The concern is that without such distinguishing features, REG PLATE SAYS GUILTY.

Happily, we have a large online community of car nerds who can identify a 2013 Skoda Fabia from the shade of black on the wing mirrors.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,559
    Leon said:

This is an incredible story. A woman expresses perfectly legal “gender critical” views on Twitter

She is then investigated by some creepy “agency” within the Premier League, they compile an entire dossier on her life and doings, right down to where she walks her dog, the file is passed to NUFC - who ban her from the ground for two seasons

https://x.com/speechunion/status/1753528554929947067?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

I'm always suspicious of this kind of story. Woman says she was banned due to this one legal comment, it might turn out the club says she's been banned due to other reasons entirely. There's normally more to it.
  • Options
    England will be following on today.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Leon said:

I'm always suspicious of this kind of story. Woman says she was banned due to this one legal comment, it might turn out the club says she's been banned due to other reasons entirely. There's normally more to it.
    This was an investigation unit originally set up to look at online organising of football violence and racism, that has gone way beyond their remit.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Leon said:

Perhaps, yes

But the Free Speech Union is quite diligent - they take on and WIN big legal cases (unlike Jo “kimono” Maugham)
  • Options
    England collapsing in an embarrassing heap here.

India will be thinking about the size of their first -innings lead.
  • Options
    darkage said:

darkage said:

Sandpit said:

Did they look in to social security issues? I think this is often a major barrier to this type of arrangement, employers getting nervous that agreeing to such remote working makes them liable for social security in another country.
    The proposal as reported is that you wouldn't be expected to sign up for Japanese social security (or register in the Japanese social system in any way), and you'd have to have private health insurance to make up for the fact that you weren't in the Japanese health insurance system. So basically they intend to treat you the same as they'd treat someone who'd showed up on a tourist visa and not told them that they were working remotely, provided you piss off after 180 days.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Is it economically suicidal? I don't think it's been tried very much lately? Let's at least wait and see how Javier Milei gets on.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,641
    ydoethur said:

England collapsing in an embarrassing heap here.

India will be thinking about the size of their first -innings lead.

First-innings lead for England nailed on, then.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,220
    The year before last, my parents had an issue with their car being cloned, and the clone being used in crimes. It's nice to say for once that the police were excellent throughout. Polite, courteous and helpful.

It probably helped that they felt a couple in their eighties in the Midlands probably were not committing crimes in London...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Is it economically suicidal? I don't think it's been tried very much lately? Let's at least wait and see how Javier Milei gets on.
    Truss tried it.

The results were not altogether to her advantage...
  • Options
    edited February 3

The year before last, my parents had an issue with their car being cloned, and the clone being used in crimes. It's nice to say for once that the police were excellent throughout. Polite, courteous and helpful.

It probably helped that they felt a couple in their eighties in the Midlands probably were not committing crimes in London...

Hmm mmm 🤔
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,943
    Im weighing up whether to follow the test on ESPNCricinfo or PB. Both have real time updates and incisive commentary. A few more stats on Cricinfo.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,873

ydoethur said:

Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Does Liz Truss have a history of social conservatism? Maybe I've not been paying much attention, but I thought she was full-fat libertarian, on social issues as well, at least up until the last few months.

And so, ironically, her adoption of social conservatism can only be achieved by, perhaps, the most blatant bit of naked positioning she has ever indulged in.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Sandpit said:

Eabhal said:

A

Eabhal said:

darkage said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

But very New Labour…

The concern is that without such distinguishing features, REG PLATE SAYS GUILTY.

Happily, we have a large online community of car nerds who can identify a 2013 Skoda Fabia from the shade of black on the wing mirrors.
    Is that black, a darker shade of black, or a really midnight blue?

I’ll get my coat. Actually, it’s a turtle neck.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,093
    edited February 3
    Sandpit said:

Eabhal said:

darkage said:

Eabhal said:

darkage said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

But very New Labour…

TV licensing is horrific, the victims mostly single mothers existing on benefits, many of whom aren’t actually aware of the case going to court, and the evidence is their own statement to someone who knocked on their door unannounced.
    Not even just the BBC but some commercial contractor the BBC uses. That sort of thing is about as sympatico with the public as [edit] the use of contractors by Dacorum council to spy on people having a pish in the countryside.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,494

Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Is she hosting tea parties?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Economically laissez faire and socially conservative politics is essentially poujadisme. The politics of the self-made small businessman down the golf club after a few drinks.

The trouble is the leaders of these sorts of movements tend not to be very likeable. Trump and Bolsonaro for example.
  • Options

… then you find the stash box with the passports, guns and an array of large denomination…. Cash.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

Eabhal said:

darkage said:

Eabhal said:

darkage said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

But very New Labour…

Not even just the BBC but some commercial contractor the BBC uses. That sort of thing is about as sympatico with the public as [edit] the use of contractors by Dacorum council to spy on people having a pish in the countryside.
    Yes, it’s all outsourced to Crapita.
    https://www.capita.com/news/capita-announces-five-year-extension-tv-licensing-contract
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,166
    edited February 3
    Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Perhaps, yes

But the Free Speech Union is quite diligent - they take on and WIN big legal cases (unlike Jo “kimono” Maugham)
    Indeed. The question is the cases they take on

* Lawrence Fox calls somebody a paedo: FSU is silent
    * Mad BBC lady rants on about Jews: FSU is silent
    * Toon lady says woman can't have penis: FSU IS GO! ALL FSU CRAFT LAUNCH NOW!

#PBFreeSpeech
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Does Liz Truss have a history of social conservatism? Maybe I've not been paying much attention, but I thought she was full-fat libertarian, on social issues as well, at least up until the last few months.

And so, ironically, her adoption of social conservatism can only be achieved by, perhaps, the most blatant bit of naked positioning she has ever indulged in.
    Yes, she’s been on a journey. And depends on how widely we draw the term “social”. She’s definitely adopted right wing colours on climate and the environment, immigration, traditional teaching, crime and punishment and the relationship with Europe. But not as far as I’m aware on gender issues or topics like abortion.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Truss tried it.

The results were not altogether to her advantage...
    Not true. Liz Truss tried large-state/low-tax. The results of which were altogether predictable.

Although 'popular conservatism' *is* economically suicidal because it means feathering the nests of the unproductive by screwing over workers.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Perhaps, yes

Indeed. The question is the cases they take on

* Lawrence Fox calls somebody a paedo: FSU is silent
    * Mad BBC lady rants on about Jews: FSU is silent
    * Toon lady says woman can't have penis: FSU IS GO! ALl FSU CRAFT LAUNCH NOW!

#PBFreeSpeech
    FSU don’t really care about rich public figures who can afford to defend themselves, nor do they care about obvious libels, they’re primarily about standing up for the little person who gets their life ruined for an unpopular opinion - such as a football club deciding that saying a person with a penis is a man, is grounds for being banned from attending matches for two years.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!

He’s going the other way - *claiming* to try and stop populist defecit spending that leads to serial defaults.
  • Options

… then you find the stash box with the passports, guns and an array of large denomination…. Cash.
    I think we may have found the other two members of the pensioner team that robbed Hatton Garden a couple of years ago.
This discussion has been closed.