Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Has Sunak buggered up the boundary changes? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 53,617

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Rally in russia in support of palestine. Protesters shout: “kill, kill, Jews”

It’s interesting that, as we all know, rallies are prohibited in russia, but as you can see... they are not prohibited for everyone

https://twitter.com/RabbiUkraine/status/1718605469504180550

Russians are the nastiest bunch of scumbags on the planet
    Referring to entire groups in such a way is pretty stupid.

For example, a couple of the Russians I know are the most utterly honest people I have ever met.

They will not tell a lie, even to save the face of a boss standing in front of them - to them it is preferable to lose a job than to kiss arse up the chain. One of them did this in front of me.
    I have this issue when Leon goes on about Turks. I know a fair few Turks, and I don't recognise much of what he says. But then again, the ones in my family are all thoroughly middle-class, and I rarely get to meet my wife's wider family. The majority of Turks I know are in the UK, and they are of course, a self-selecting group. So when someone says something about Turkish views I disagree with, I can say that it's not true of the ones I know; but that does not mean that it is wrong. Just that I don't recognise it.
    Er, what??? When have I ever said anything about Turks?!

They are some of the friendliest, most hospitable people on the planet. I like them a lot

Indeed it’s because they are generally so nice that their appalling, satanic mistreatment of the Armenians is such a profound and saddening mystery
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,479
    England all out 129.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,678
    biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

All England had to do to win this match was bat like in a test match.

No it’s been 34 overs. The Test side would have scored 170 by now…
    Why would they have been batting so slowly?
    Andy_JS said:

England all out 129.

Should have kept my mouth shut.

@BartholomewRoberts on the money with their total.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,454
    Ha ha, exactly 100!
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,676
    ydoethur said:

Hooray, England have made it to just 100 runs short.

Here's hoping Willey and Wood make it a bit hard.

You had to say it out loud….
    Netherlands looking forward to their match versus England.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,565

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

It’s interesting that, as we all know, rallies are prohibited in russia, but as you can see... they are not prohibited for everyone

For example, a couple of the Russians I know are the most utterly honest people I have ever met.

They will not tell a lie, even to save the face of a boss standing in front of them - to them it is preferable to lose a job than to kiss arse up the chain. One of them did this in front of me.
    I have this issue when Leon goes on about Turks. I know a fair few Turks, and I don't recognise much of what he says. But then again, the ones in my family are all thoroughly middle-class, and I rarely get to meet my wife's wider family. The majority of Turks I know are in the UK, and they are of course, a self-selecting group. So when someone says something about Turkish views I disagree with, I can say that it's not true of the ones I know; but that does not mean that it is wrong. Just that I don't recognise it.
    Nearly all societies come in chunks. There are plenty of Russians who fill the stereotype of the Putin loving, fascist, drunks with a side order of sociopathic violence. There are also plenty who don’t.
  • biggles said:

ydoethur said:

Hooray, England have made it to just 100 runs short.

Here's hoping Willey and Wood make it a bit hard.

You had to say it out loud….
    [Sunil struggles to stop bursting out laughing]
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,564
    Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

They are some of the friendliest, most hospitable people on the planet. I like them a lot

Indeed it’s because they are generally so nice that their appalling, satanic mistreatment of the Armenians is such a profound and saddening mystery
    I believe you said something the other week that made me bite my tongue. Annoyingly cannot remember what it was, though... I don't think it involved taxi drivers... :)
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

You are welcome to your opinion, I happen to think they are a nasty nasty bunch as they prove on a regular basis. Sure there are a few decent ones but in a vast minority.
    Yeah no this is racist nonsense Malcolm

Russians are generally good company, funny, helpful, often very interesting and nearly always generous. If they are down to their last pickle and you have no pickles they will insist you have half a pickle

I have literally experienced this

It’s their regimes which are murderous and which lead them into nationalist evil, time and again

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

I believe you said something the other week that made me bite my tongue. Annoyingly cannot remember what it was, though... I don't think it involved taxi drivers... :)
    Seriously. Withdraw that accusation if you can’t back it up

I’ve traveled widely in Turkey and have good Turkish friends. I can only presume you misconstrued a joke - if there is any basis at all to what you say
    Andy_JS said:

Netherlands looking forward to their match versus England.

England looking forward to the flight home.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

I’ve traveled widely in Turkey and have good Turkish friends. I can only presume you misconstrued a joke - if there is any basis at all to what you say
    Okay, I'll withdraw that reference to you (though not the substantive wider point I made); but simply because I'm not going to trawl through your posts for it.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,203
    edited October 2023

ydoethur said:

Pro_Rata said:

Whose job was it to present to Privy Council?

The Lord President of the Council.

Penny Mordaunt
    Not Penny Mordaunt. The text in the Twix in the header says the Secretary of State or the Minister for the Cabinet Office. Oliver Dowden is SoS and Jeremy Quin is Minister. Possibly the sudden unavailability of Simon Case did not help.
    Given he apparently can't use simple technology correctly, or spell, I'm not sure it would make much difference.

In any case, they ought not to have taken it right to the deadline. I can't remember any serious controversies over it, unlike the last rounds.
    That is why I wonder if this is not an accident but an "accident" after CCHQ modelling has changed their minds. It was likely up for review after the photo ID thing backfired.
    I am trying to find out what happens next on this. If they have failed to present them to the PC then as far as I can see they have broken the law. There is no contingency for them not to do this and no means for them to prevent the changes short of actually breaking the law. The only exception as mentioned is the 'exceptional circumstances' which does not seem to apply here.

It appears that no one actually considerd when drafting the law that the GIvernment would be so inept as to not do what they are legally required to do.

EDIT: Just seen TSE's update.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,515
    Leon said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

You are welcome to your opinion, I happen to think they are a nasty nasty bunch as they prove on a regular basis. Sure there are a few decent ones but in a vast minority.

Russians are generally good company, funny, helpful, often very interesting and nearly always generous. If they are down to their last pickle and you have no pickles they will insist you have half a pickle

It’s their regimes which are murderous and which lead them into nationalist evil, time and again
    Russians? @malcolmg is entirely right.
    No-one does losing at sport better than England.

Leon said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Okay, I'll withdraw that reference to you (though not the substantive wider point I made); but simply because I'm not going to trawl through your posts for it.
    Twat

“Oh yeah sure I made it up but I didn’t really I just can’t find it”

Go fuck yourself
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Twat

Go fuck yourself
    Kind offer, but no thanks.

But I realise my comment didn't come across as I intended, so I'll change it.

I'm sorry.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Come on, Indi... er, I mean England :blush:

Guy Gibson was born in India and now the Home Office wants to demolish RAF Scampton.
    If the Home office have responsibility for it then it's long gone. Surely "RAF Scampton" implies MoD control.
    The Home Office wants to build accommodation for asylum seekers there, or some such.
    It is building it - illegally. Hence protest camp and all (as posted on PT, but no harm in giving it an airing again, as I have added earlier reports: not just Greenham C memories, but miners strike.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12680881/Dambusters-RAF-Scampton-battle-airfield-2-000-asylum-seekers.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-12669855/Man-arrested-eggs-thrown-vehicles-amid-disorder-RAF-Scampton.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-12651115/Officers-mess-used-Dambusters-given-listed-building-status.html
    Strong Sid and Doris Bonkers energy in that first article. The protest seems to be straightforward xenophobia hiding behind faux concern over a heritage tea room.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Twat

Go fuck yourself
    Kind offer, but no thanks.

But I realise my comment didn't come across as I intended, so I'll change it.

I'm sorry.
    Ok. Apology accepted!

Shalom
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,383
    Leon said:

I’ve traveled widely around the world. I know this wil come as a surprise but it’s true. Over 100 countries

After all that travel I’ve developed a rule of thumb. Anywhere you go in the world most people are nice. They really are. They want to help, they like a joke, they enjoy smiling - they want you to smile as well

Maybe 70% of people anywhere are like this. Nice. About 15% will be cold and aloof and maybe a bit prejudiced against you. But nothing terrible. Another 8% will be mad. And 7% will be actively evil and nasty

The trouble comes - in any country/society/nationality - when that 7% gains access to power and it gets worse if they find a way to keep hold of power. As these bastards are often smart and as they are happy to kill to maintain power, you get countries that never seem to escape the rule of the evil 7%

Russia might be an example. Also Gaza

Time for me to reiterate my undeniable point that nationalism, and by extension nations and patriotism are all BAD THINGS.

It turns out John Lennon was right after all. Imagine!
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,564
    SNP MP Chris Law getting a rough ride whilst addressing the crowd at the Dundee rally.

https://twitter.com/heckle_scot/status/1718320455700857310
    edited October 2023
    The thread header and resultant debate is an amazing example of political Twitter in action, and the harm it can do. Many will only see the first tweet and assume it’s true. In this case it’s not super important, but in other cases it might matter. It’s why proper journalism includes fact checking and a right of reply.

Bring on AI. It might check its facts.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,995
    biggles said:

The thread header and resultant debate is an amazing example of political Twitter in action, and the harm it can do. Many will only see the first tweet and assume it’s true. In this case it’s not super important, but in other cases it might matter. It’s why proper journalism includes fact checking and a right of reply.

On the contrary, the rumour was debunked the same day.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,564
    ydoethur said:

Off-topic:

Today is the 100th anniversary of the creation of the Turkish Republic, from the remnants of the Ottoman Empire.

Led by the unfortunately named Mustafa Kamel.

(Yes, I know he's more usually called Ataturk.)
    Such a shame that a Kemalist didn't win the election instead of that pro-Hamas sod Erdogan.
    Adam Johnson: Nottingham Panthers forward dies after neck cut in Challenge Cup match
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/ice-hockey/67253892
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,865
    Since most of us are a little bit Neanderthal, it seems odd to attack anyone for "Neanderthalism".

(The exceptions are mostly found in sub-Saharan Africa: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neanderthal#Interbreeding )
    edited October 2023
    Nigelb said:

biggles said:

Missing the point. A proper journalist wouldn’t start it in the first place. They would check facts.

The lawyer who tweeted, and this blog, are at fault for not bothering.
    biggles said:

Nigelb said:

biggles said:

Missing the point. A proper journalist wouldn’t start it in the first place. They would check facts.

You didn’t notice the question mark in the headline, then ?
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,019
    Leon said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Racist my bollox, and I suppose they are very nice and just vote in murdering despots every time and join the army in millions to murder and kill people, yeah lovely bunch right enough.
    Two possibly interesting facts on Gaza: When Sharon withdrew from Gaza, an Israeli who owned a fancy greenhouse there, raising, as I recall, oranges, left it intact. It was destroyed by, if I recall correctly, Hamas.

Second, at the time of the attack, Israeli had given 20K work permits to Gazans.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,019

SNP MP Chris Law getting a rough ride whilst addressing the crowd at the Dundee rally.

https://twitter.com/heckle_scot/status/1718320455700857310

Hell mend him for jumping on the bandwagon. Pity the clown did not have similar interest in Scottish Independence rather than living high on the hog at Westminster. They probably had no clue who he was.
  • Nigelb said:

biggles said:

Nigelb said:

biggles said:

"Has Sunak beaten his wife?"
  • Two possibly interesting facts on Gaza: When Sharon withdrew from Gaza, an Israeli who owned a fancy greenhouse there, raising, as I recall, oranges, left it intact. It was destroyed by, if I recall correctly, Hamas.

Second, at the time of the attack, Israeli had given 20K work permits to Gazans.

I seem to remember at the time that the Israeli settlements were razed by the IDF as they withdrew from Gaza.

Two possibly interesting facts on Gaza: When Sharon withdrew from Gaza, an Israeli who owned a fancy greenhouse there, raising, as I recall, oranges, left it intact. It was destroyed by, if I recall correctly, Hamas.

I seem to remember at the time that the Israeli settlements were razed by the IDF as they withdrew from Gaza.
    AIR at least some were left but the Palestinians razed them themselves.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,182
    Nigelb said:

biggles said:

Yes, it’s actually an example of the good and bad of political Twitter. Another good recent addition (post Musk indeed) is community notes. Particularly fun on adverts.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,736
    biggles said:

Let’s get BBC Verify on the case.
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,962
    AFC Ajax and England cricket team both in unfamiliar territory.
  • Nigelb said:

Adam Johnson: Nottingham Panthers forward dies after neck cut in Challenge Cup match

Been following this today as I am a Panthers fan and sometimes go to games. Really shocking. A mate of mine's son played for the Panthers at one time and this was his nightmare scenario.

Really feel for the Sheffield player as well. Pure accident and he did nothing wrong but you know he will be feeling it.

Nigelb said:

Been following this today as I am a Panthers fan and sometimes go to games. Really shocking. A mate of mine's son played for the Panthers at one time and this was his nightmare scenario.

Really feel for the Sheffield player as well. Pure accident and he did nothing wrong but you know he will be feeling it.
    Yes, really horrible. And unlucky.
    malcolmg said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Racist my bollox, and I suppose they are very nice and just vote in murdering despots every time and join the army in millions to murder and kill people, yeah lovely bunch right enough.
    My experience as a business traveller has been the same as Leon’s on this. But yes, under the surface quite a few have somewhat problematic opinions or beliefs (including about the Jews, gays and the soundness of Trump).

Imperial or post-imperial populations are interesting but full of contradictions. That includes of course the Brits, the Turks, Russians, French, at a push the Spanish. Their history gives them a global or regional view of events so they tend to be quite widely travelled or at least schooled in the wider world. But they also have that sense of historical entitlement that comes with empire.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,124
    For lovers of the arcane, the David Torrance question has not quite been cleared up. There appears to be no direct evidence for the public that the provision has been met, and Torrance is still asking questions:

https://twitter.com/luhc/status/1718651749056094717

Betting post: The boundary changes will occur.
    Off topic: Since some of the recent discussions here have been hot, I thought a cool where-is-this puzzle might be appropriate, at this time:

Broad hint. I have traveled in Europe and North America, but none of the other continents.

(Yes, the snow shoer is breaking the rules.)

sarissa said:

AFC Ajax and England cricket team both in unfamiliar territory.

With the startling exception of 2019 this is all-too-familiar territory.

Off topic: Since some of the recent discussions here have been hot, I thought a cool where-is-this puzzle might be appropriate, at this time:

Broad hint. I have traveled in Europe and North America, but none of the other continents.

Blofeld's lair ?

Leon said:

I’ve traveled widely around the world. I know this wil come as a surprise but it’s true. Over 100 countries

After all that travel I’ve developed a rule of thumb. Anywhere you go in the world most people are nice. They really are. They want to help, they like a joke, they enjoy smiling - they want you to smile as well

Maybe 70% of people anywhere are like this. Nice. About 15% will be cold and aloof and maybe a bit prejudiced against you. But nothing terrible. Another 8% will be mad. And 7% will be actively evil and nasty

The trouble comes - in any country/society/nationality - when that 7% gains access to power and it gets worse if they find a way to keep hold of power. As these bastards are often smart and as they are happy to kill to maintain power, you get countries that never seem to escape the rule of the evil 7%

I found this working in the Middle East in the 80s and 90s. The ex-pats (of all varieties, Yanks, Brits, Aussies, Frogs and every other Western country) would get together in enclaves and talk about how terrible the locals were.

"Don't talk to the Arabs, don't trust them, they are dirty, they steal, they are little better than savages."

And yet when you actually went out and worked and lived with them for months on end away from the 'civilised' communities you quickly realised they were, of course, just like us. Good, bad, happy, sad, honest and dishonest. Almost of of them were friendly, wanted to talk about football, their families and those bastards in charge. What they really hated was being treated like shit by guests in their own country.

I have a real downer on ex-pat communities ever since.
    Expats tend towards bitterness and alcoholism, and often both together
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,736
    Loyal Man U fans heading for the exit with ten minutes to go. Be a long drive back to the Home Counties.
    Storm Ciaran by the way. One to watch out for as it develops late on Wednesday and into Thursday. Why?

- It’s a classic slingshot low developing from a baroclinic wave to the South of a big Atlantic depression
    - It’s modelled to deepen rapidly and has many of the features of a “bomb” low including potential sting jet
    - Sea temperatures in the Atlantic remain warm so there is plenty of energy to sustain it
    - The track keeps wobbling but most models have it skirting the channel which means destructive winds for longer, and also means
    - Destructive winds in the South East, which we know news reporters notice

I’ll keep a beady eye on forecasts. At the moment the winds are not 1987 or 1990 levels but that could change: the structure of the low is suitable for nasty explosive cyclogenisis.

Might take Israel-Palestine off the front pages for a bit.

Of course we all remember what happened the Monday after the October 1987 storm, when city workers were stuck at home and trading volumes were very thin…
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I found this working in the Middle East in the 80s and 90s. The ex-pats (of all varieties, Yanks, Brits, Aussies, Frogs and every other Western country) would get together in enclaves and talk about how terrible the locals were.

"Don't talk to the Arabs, don't trust them, they are dirty, they steal, they are little better than savages."

And yet when you actually went out and worked and lived with them for months on end away from the 'civilised' communities you quickly realised they were, of course, just like us. Good, bad, happy, sad, honest and dishonest. Almost of of them were friendly, wanted to talk about football, their families and those bastards in charge. What they really hated was being treated like shit by guests in their own country.

I have a real downer on ex-pat communities ever since.
    Expats tend towards bitterness and alcoholism, and often both together
    Or, when well integrated into the host population, hatred and resentment of their home country and particularly travellers therefrom.

The most well adjusted expats are those in truly international cities where no one culture can dominate. Like Singapore, and London (and NY).
  • Has Steve Bell been hired by Huffington Post?

https://x.com/visegrad24/status/1718670621435916554?s=20
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,473
    edited October 2023
    I am sure the plod specialist officers will decide this is something to do with personal struggle and growth...

The crowd is chanting:

"From London to Gaza we'll have an INTIFADA!"

https://x.com/visegrad24/status/1718675730958082379?s=20

But a shitty kid chants something horrid about Bobby Charlton and he is in the nick straight away.
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,682
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

That's obviously nonsense but there is definitely an issue with pervasive antisemitism in Russia.
    Coincidentally I just read an interview with the great Russian pianist Evgeny Kissin, who is Jewish.(BBC Music Magazine). His childhood was blighted by antisemitism. The poor interviewer was quite taken aback by the force with which Kissin expressed himself. Not surprisingly he hates Putin passionately.

The Russian government has never been above exploiting anti-Jewish sentiment. Its one of the great continuities, along with autocracy, since the days of the tsars.
    Leon said:

Thanks for the advice.
    edited October 2023
    Taz said:

Loyal Man U fans heading for the exit with ten minutes to go. Be a long drive back to the Home Counties.

All that money Man Utd have spent and Harry Maguire and Johnny Evans were their centre backs today!!!
    Nigelb said:

biggles said:

Nigelb said:

biggles said:

Irrelevant. Shouldn’t highlight things as questions that can quickly and easily be shown to be untrue.
    TimS said:

Storm Ciaran by the way. One to watch out for as it develops late on Wednesday and into Thursday. Why?

- It’s a classic slingshot low developing from a baroclinic wave to the South of a big Atlantic depression
    - It’s modelled to deepen rapidly and has many of the features of a “bomb” low including potential sting jet
    - Sea temperatures in the Atlantic remain warm so there is plenty of energy to sustain it
    - The track keeps wobbling but most models have it skirting the channel which means destructive winds for longer, and also means

I’ll keep a beady eye on forecasts. At the moment the winds are not 1987 or 1990 levels but that could change: the structure of the low is suitable for nasty explosive cyclogenisis.

Of course we all remember what happened the Monday after the October 1987 storm, when city workers were stuck at home and trading volumes were very thin…

For example here is the ensemble for this evening’s GFS model runs, for Folkestone. The y axis is wind in metres per second.

One run has it peaking at 27mps. That’s around 60mph. For sustained winds that would be extremely unusual even on the coasts and would imply gusts of easily over 100mph.
  • biggles said:

Nigelb said:

biggles said:

Nigelb said:

biggles said:

Irrelevant. Shouldn’t highlight things as questions that can quickly and easily be shown to be untrue.
    Doesn't that Law of QTWTAIN apply here?
  • In more important news- this inky dark at half past five thing.

Jolly bad show, chaps.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,526
    TimS said:

Potential for a nasty storm surge too as not far past the full moon tides.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,118

In more important news- this inky dark at half past five thing.

Jolly bad show, chaps.

OTOH, we can get up in the light again now.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,118

TimS said:

I will be jolly annoyed if this one stymies bonfire night.
  • TimS said:

You are Michael Fish and I claim my £5!
  • I am sure the plod specialist officers will decide this is something to do with personal struggle and growth...

The crowd is chanting:

But a shitty kid chants something horrid about Bobby Charlton and he is in the nick straight away.

Is that part of the main demo? The banner has a hammer & sickle, the crowd is barely worthy of the name, and there are seemingly unconcerned passers-by walking through the frame.

Otherwise, you are right. There have been a few arrests but not many. The commissioner has asked for better laws. It has been suggested the police will make further arrests after watching footage but that might be wishful thinking.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,844
    edited October 2023
    Leon said:

Not sure of the exact percentages, but my experience is much the same. Most people are decent, kind and hospitable, but there is an arsehole element in every population.

Travelling in a variety of countries with tyrants has also made me think that particularly soft peoples (such as the Burmese, Palestinians, Ugandans etc) are particularly prone to bad governments, as they are too easy to push around.

Which is why strong governmental institutions and the rule of law are needed for defence against potential tyrants. Something that has been forgotten by too many, including both USA and UK.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

I am sure the plod specialist officers will decide this is something to do with personal struggle and growth...

The crowd is chanting:

They must have been so cross when the Met wilfully misinterpreted their calls for jihad last week. Probably spent all week thinking what word they needed to use to make it absolutely clear what they wanted.

Taz said:

All that money Man Utd have spent and Harry Maguire and Johnny Evans were their centre backs today!!!
    A real princes and paupers look to the Premiership table at the moment.

It used to be that two points per game would put you in contention for the title, now Aston Villa have 22 points from 10 games but are only 5th. At the other end 1 point per game was reckoned to be needed to avoid relegation, but Bournemouth have only 6 points from 10 games but are (just) above the relegation zone.

Neutrals will take some delight from seeing two big-spending teams (Man Utd and Chelsea) who looked like they might permanently share the title between them almost a couple of decades ago, now both marooned in mid-table obscurity.
    Cookie said:

TimS said:

I will be jolly annoyed if this one stymies bonfire night.
    The 5th is Sunday, so Ciaran will be well past... But there might be another storm afterwards.
  • To be fair it would surely have been a civil service balls up rather than one by Mr Sunak.

However, just note that the effect of those new boundaries change a lot depending on whether the Cons or Lab are ahead and the size of said lead. Lab 10% ahead and the impact is minimal, beyond that and the new boundaries often start to work in their favour

The crowd is chanting:

Is that part of the main demo? The banner has a hammer & sickle, the crowd is barely worthy of the name, and there are seemingly unconcerned passers-by walking through the frame.

Otherwise, you are right. There have been a few arrests but not many. The commissioner has asked for better laws. It has been suggested the police will make further arrests after watching footage but that might be wishful thinking.
    Ah, the Trotskyite Tankies*, then.

*Many of the Piers Corbyn left profess to be Trotskyites. But also adore the Soviet Union, and often, Joseph Fucking Stalin.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,678
    Early evening all :)

Can't really call it "Afternoon" as it's dark outside.

@Leon's experience is close to my own though I don't pretend to have the breadth and depth of his knowledge (which sounds remarkably similar to @SeanT - probably just a coincidence). I have found speaking even a few words in the local language goes a very long way - just being able to say Please and Thank You in the language breaks the ice with the locals.

Far be it from me to intimate @Leon is a polyglot but I suspect he can "get by".
    edited October 2023

The crowd is chanting:

It was at Queen Margaret University in Edinburgh, with 15 protestors, from Socialist Appeal affiliated to the International Marxist Tendency.

https://socialist.net/live/

I think they had a number of similar sized protests elsewhere including QMUL.
    Endillion said:

The crowd is chanting:

They must have been so cross when the Met wilfully misinterpreted their calls for jihad last week. Probably spent all week thinking what word they needed to use to make it absolutely clear what they wanted.
    I think we're back to the old chestnut of the Freedom of Speech and its two children, the Freedom to Offend and the Freedom to be Offended.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,278
    Cookie said:

In more important news- this inky dark at half past five thing.

Jolly bad show, chaps.

OTOH, we can get up in the light again now.
    F off.
    It's half term.
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,971

Is that the Piz Gloria in Murren, near Grindelwald and Wengen (went skiing there fifteen years ago)?
    TimS said:

TimS said:

For example here is the ensemble for this evening’s GFS model runs, for Folkestone. The y axis is wind in metres per second.

One run has it peaking at 27mps. That’s around 60mph. For sustained winds that would be extremely unusual even on the coasts and would imply gusts of easily over 100mph.
    The model output at this range is still far from clear. The American model has the storm centre over southern England with the strongest winds over Northern France - a second storm on Saturday has a forecast pressure of 953 MB which must be some kind of record were it to verify.

The UK Met Office forecast has the storm track further north over the Midlands on Thursday which would bring some serious winds over southern England. Saturday's storm is deeper and as such the field of strong winds is further from the centre so not as bad in terms of wind.

Rainfall is going to be an issue - 4-6 inches forecast over the next 10 days for much of the south and west on top of what has already fallen.
    edited October 2023
    Pogroms are back in vogue...

A lynch mob has stormed the airport in Dagestan, Russia to look for Jewish passengers after finding out that a plane from Tel Aviv is about to land.

They have also stopped police cars in front of the airport and are searching them for Jews.

https://x.com/visegrad24/status/1718689681502597616?s=20
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,138

Is that the Piz Gloria in Murren, near Grindelwald and Wengen (went skiing there fifteen years ago)?
    On Her Majestys Secret Service - Assault on Piz Gloria (1080p) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2pqUKtQ-_8
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,764

A lynch mob has stormed the airport in Dagestan, Russia to look for Jewish passengers after finding out that a plane from Tel Aviv is about to land.

They have also stopped police cars in front of the airport and are searching them for Jews.

Just stop posting shit like this palestinians are the victim here didnt you know (sarcasm for the hard of thinking)
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,682
    Not sure if its been flagged here, but there is a growing storm in Scotland over "industrial level" deletions of WhatsApp messages related to Covid. Apparently all Sturgeon's messages were wiped despite earlier public assurances that they would be made available. Not just Nicola either. Swinney and Yousaf implicated too.

Not sure how this will play out but, for once, the Scottish media seems to be fully engaged.

Andrew Neil provides more details.

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1718688138216837241

This also being widely posted.

https://twitter.com/C4Ciaran/status/1718577918295597313

Or maybe she's just holding this all back for her memoir?
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,941
    How long will it take this useless government to ban the dogs from hell .

Another attack and how many more people will be seriously injured or killed before action is taken .

Not sure if its been flagged here, but there is a growing storm in Scotland over "industrial level" deletions of WhatsApp messages related to Covid. Apparently all Sturgeon's messages were wiped despite earlier public assurances that they would be made available. Not just Nicola either. Swinney and Yousaf implicated too.

Not sure how this will play out but, for once, the Scottish media seems to be fully engaged.

It's not that she's wiped them, she just can't recall her password.
    ydoethur said:

Ripa act.....claiming you cant access encrypted data as you don't have the password is a 2 year jail term
    Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Ripa act.....claiming you cant access encrypted data as you don't have the password is a 2 year jail term
    Well, there's always the Rebecca Vardy excuse that she dropped the phone in the sea.

I was gazing on mountain peaks in Dagestan (from the safety of kakheti) only yesterday.
    ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Well, there's always the Rebecca Vardy excuse that she dropped the phone in the sea.
    I care less about vardy she wasn't a politician who passed the stupid law. Sturgeon is a politician and she should be held to the same law as the little people
    edited October 2023
    Talking of the return to 1930s, was whoever set my daughter’s non verbal reasoning homework trying to tell us something?

(Yes I know it’s the “good” way round).
    TimS said:

Talking of the return to 1930s, was whoever set my daughter’s non verbal reasoning homework trying to tell us something?

The Nelson Publishing Company used a swastika as their symbol for decades.

Which is ironic in today's terms as the Nelson* family were Jewish.

*Nothing to do with the other Nelson family, who were not Jewish as far as I know.
  • Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Arguably harsh since almost every ecommerce site finds it necessary to have a "forgotten password" procedure, and so does PB.

And in reverse...

Arab students in Netanya yesterday were surrounded by a mob chanting "death to Arabs".

https://www.timesofisrael.com/police-break-up-angry-protest-outside-netanya-dorm-housing-arab-students/

So the cycle continues, with benefit only to the extremists on both sides.

edited October 2023
    ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Talking of which I assume you’ve all seen one of the greatest YouTube videos of all time?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WVchpVmOgzw
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,284
    Pagan2 said:

Just stop posting shit like this palestinians are the victim here didnt you know (sarcasm for the hard of thinking)
    It is quite possible for both Palestinians and Jews to be victims.
    TimS said:

Middle left is the Crown Prince trying to give *everyone* an Iron Cross Second Class from beyond the grave.

Prizes for all etc. So it turns out the Crown Prince was really… woke?

That wasn’t expected…
    I've just finished the annual ghastly business of carving a pumpkin. I hate doing it every year.

And, as if on cue, the first fireworks are let off.

Borat Margaret Sagdiyev to the green courtesy phone. Borat Margaret Sagdiyev to the green courtesy phone….

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Arguably harsh since almost every ecommerce site finds it necessary to have a "forgotten password" procedure, and so does PB.
    There is a difference a forgotten password procedure allows you access back to your account and messages....claiming you cant give your encrypted messages because you forgot the password is entirely different. Now quite possible nicola sturgeoun has forgotten her password....also quite possible many people jailed under that act have as well but that has never been a viable defence under the law.

It is not I am anti snp here....I am however anti politician when they pass laws and think they should not apply to them equally
This discussion has been closed.