Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Has Sunak buggered up the boundary changes? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,704
edited November 2023 in General
Has Sunak buggered up the boundary changes? – politicalbetting.com

Unless I’m imagining things, the Government has missed the statutory deadline for submitting the new parliamentary boundaries order to a meeting of the Privy Council: the 2020 Act says within four months of the reports being laid b4 parliament, and that happened on 28 June 2023… pic.twitter.com/7r7l0MdswO

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First

Test to see if the comments work.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,914

First

Test to see if the comments work.

That sort of outrageous fib is only allowed if you get it cleared by a vote in Parliament.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    edited October 2023
    Local Authorities have already been told by the government to get on with preparing for elections on the new boundaries (selecting the appropriate returning officers for constituencies splitting county boundaries for example), so if they've not met the statutory deadline to actually enact them that seems like cock up more than conspiracy.
    Sandpit said:

Don't know whether this video has got any mainstream media coverage(unlikely) but pretty shocking. A Jewish person tries to talk to talk to a Muslim protester who tells him 'Your magic doesn't work. The whole world hates you guys.' A police officer then tells the Jewish man that he has a right to be there but his presence is 'provocative.'

So there we have it. Merely by being on the streets, Jews are being provocative. Telling them their time is running out is just standard banter presumably.

https://twitter.com/israel_advocacy/status/1718572439402148066

The Jewish man and his companions were not attacked, or even abused in what seemed fairly good-natured exchanges with marchers. This is pretty low-rent antisemitism. As for provocative, it is surely police SOP to keep rival groups away from each other, as seen every Saturday outside football grounds.
    Would the police have reacted the same way to, for example, a black or Asian man walking close to an EDL march, and being told by the marchers that everyone hates him just for being him?
    If there was no camera present, possibly.

I think the state of the police is well summarised by it being presented as good news that they have been able to increase the number of sackings this year. But that it is still not enough.

• Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853
    Now, that would be hilarious.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,392
    Oh, FFS. This has been an issue in every election since 2015. How many years does it take for our bureaucracy to do anything? I mean, this isn't something hard like a road, a railway, a runway or a reservoir. Its absolutely ridiculous that the last 2 elections have been fought on such out of date boundaries. It would be ridiculous if the next was too.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited October 2023
    No, because the boundary changes are rightly an independent process.

Do we want to go down the route the Amercian States take with Congressional boundaries?

This particular issue looks like a paperwork oversight, or worst-case scenario the senior CS trying to embarrass the PM.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,026
    Almost certainly cock-up over conspiracy if it is true.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,778
    edited October 2023
    And still people claim Sunak is the "competent" one?

If they've ballsed this up, that's just unbelievable.

Sandpit the boundary changes are independent, but the laying them before Parliament is not, that's something the Government has to do like all (I think?) Statutory Instruments etc. The Boundary Commissions have no authority to lay the boundaries before Parliament.
  • Options
    Or is it possible CCHQ has had another look at the boundaries? It will be interesting to see what they do about photo ID to vote, given Conservative revisionism there as well.
  • Options
    33/3, 44/4, 55/5 - anyone not see us falling 100 runs short of the 230 target?
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    DavidL said:

Oh, FFS. This has been an issue in every election since 2015. How many years does it take for our bureaucracy to do anything? I mean, this isn't something hard like a road, a railway, a runway or a reservoir. Its absolutely ridiculous that the last 2 elections have been fought on such out of date boundaries. It would be ridiculous if the next was too.

It won't, the work has basically already been done at local level, in coordination with government, in case an election were held this year. So the work must be ready to go, not bureaucratically delayed but ministerial lethargy.

And the delays in the process since 2015 have not been a question of burueacracy either, but political circumstances. That's why very sensibly the need for a parliamentary vote was removed, because that was the major problem, not the bureaucracy.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,838
    I would like to thank posters on the previous thread for teaching me the word “contumely”.
  • Options
    If the deadline has been missed, what (if anything?) does the relevant statute say happens next as a result?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,996
    edited October 2023
    David Boothroyd (a Westminster councillor) has been writing about this subject on a regular basis on the VoteUK discussion forum. He's been pointing out how the government keeps failing to submit the new boundaries, despite the fact that it's just a formality.
  • Options

I would like to thank posters on the previous thread for teaching me the word “contumely”.

Now you've messed things up for posters who plant obscure words on PB so they can easily search for particular threads.
  • Options

Or is it possible CCHQ has had another look at the boundaries? It will be interesting to see what they do about photo ID to vote, given Conservative revisionism there as well.

People have already gone for or lost seat selections on the new boundaries, at this point it would only cause the party greater awkwardness to try to upend the process, which probably requires new legislation.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,018
    Everyone should see that video linked to by Frank Booth at the end of the last thread. It’s utterly appalling that such harassment of Jews is happening now in our country, and no-one, apart from the Jewish community themselves, seems too bothered about it.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

120 short surely with that pattern?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853
    Whose job was it to present to Privy Council?
  • Options

Now you've messed things up for posters who plant obscure words on PB so they can easily search for particular threads.
    Come now, don't mispersoun our resident kangaroo for such a courteous sentiment.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

The Lord President of the Council.

Penny Mordaunt
  • Options
    The "new" Ilford North would have just touched the northern entrance to Ilford's Elizabeth Line station!

Oh, well...
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Pro_Rata said:

Oliver Dowden being Sec of State for the Cabinet Office?

I've also only just remembered he became Deputy PM after Raab quit. Not a prominent presence.
  • Options

Used by Shakespeare in the ‘to be or not to be’ soliloquy: ‘the proud man’s contumely’.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Oliver Dowden being Sec of State for the Cabinet Office?

I've also only just remembered he became Deputy PM after Raab quit. Not a prominent presence.
    Dowdy Dowden :lol:
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    kle4 said:

People have already gone for or lost seat selections on the new boundaries, at this point it would only cause the party greater awkwardness to try to upend the process, which probably requires new legislation.
    Indeed parliamentary candidates for all the main parties are being selected on the basis of the new boundaries not the old. That is where the real complication will emerge if further delays on their approval.

The handful of net extra seats the Tories would pick up are negligible now given Starmer is heading for a landslide victory on current polls anyway boundary changes or no boundary changes
  • Options

Everyone should see that video linked to by Frank Booth at the end of the last thread. It’s utterly appalling that such harassment of Jews is happening now in our country, and no-one, apart from the Jewish community themselves, seems too bothered about it.

A clearly Jewish man and his group was filming the marchers. They were not attacked or abused. The man started talking to the marchers and even if some of the responses were unwelcome, the whole thing seemed to be good-natured.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880

Virtue-signalling, shroud-waving bollocks.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

A clearly Jewish man and his group was filming the marchers. They were not attacked or abused. The man started talking to the marchers and even if some of the responses were unwelcome, the whole thing seemed to be good-natured.
    Ridiculous. Just listen to the antisemitic tropes being trotted out, and this stuff needs to be filmed, so that people might finally wake up to it.

He literally said to a Jewish man, as a representative of his race, that the whole world hates you.
  • Options
    That you, a clearly very intelligent man, respond in that way to unalloyed racism is deeply troubling
  • Options

Sandpit said:

120 short surely with that pattern?
    Well done Moeen Ali, getting them as far as 81/6.
  • Options
    Come on, Indi... er, I mean England :blush:
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880

That you, a clearly very intelligent man, respond in that way to unalloyed racism is deeply troubling

I suspect this is aimed at me.

As far as I can tell, the little shit in the protest is spouting, albeit with a smile, some islamist mumbo-jumbo at the sea-lioning Jewish chap.

I feel like have heard far worse, even on PB.

I believe it’s pretty pernicious to share these videos and claim that anti-semitism is somehow “widespread on the streets of Britain today”. It’s a form of moral panicking.

As @DecrepiterJohnL notes upthread, this is pretty weak tea.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    With Labour so far ahead does it particularly matter ?
  • Options

Ridiculous. Just listen to the antisemitic tropes being trotted out, and this stuff needs to be filmed, so that people might finally wake up to it.

He literally said to a Jewish man, as a representative of his race, that the whole world hates you.
    Yes he did. That is bad. But there was no attack or abuse of the clearly Jewish group. No-one spat at them. Conservatives complain of more intimidation getting into their own party conference.

More concerning from that same Twix account is what seems to be a pro-Palestinian mob calling for a boycott of McDonalds for some reason.
    https://twitter.com/israel_advocacy/status/1718634988722119106
  • Options

Guy Gibson was born in India and now the Home Office wants to demolish RAF Scampton.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,558
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Indeed parliamentary candidates for all the main parties are being selected on the basis of the new boundaries not the old. That is where the real complication will emerge if further delays on their approval.

The handful of net extra seats the Tories would pick up are negligible now given Starmer is heading for a landslide victory on current polls anyway boundary changes or no boundary changes
    If Hunt goes, more seats are in play. And if Sunak goes, it's all to play for.
  • Options

That you, a clearly very intelligent man...

I suspect this is aimed at me.

:lol:
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

Penny Mordaunt
    Wow. If that turns out to be true it's not entirely out of line with previous form. And her CS team could well have failed to remind her so as to make her look stupid and damage the Tories' chances.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

If Hunt goes, more seats are in play. And if Sunak goes, it's all to play for.
    There is a degree to which everyone goes then madness prevails. Unfortunately everyone (well nearly) is going to go. We'll have a parliament of youngsters and the Bucks and Fracois'.
  • Options

Guy Gibson was born in India and now the Home Office wants to demolish RAF Scampton.
    If the Home office have responsibility for it then it's long gone. Surely "RAF Scampton" implies MoD control.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,396
    Honestly, this lot couldn't organise an orgy in a brothel. Not even if the participants included Richard Burton and Messalina.

Not that I expect Labour to be much better without a wholesale clearout of the civil service.
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

Penny Mordaunt
    Not Penny Mordaunt. The text in the Twix in the header says the Secretary of State or the Minister for the Cabinet Office. Oliver Dowden is SoS and Jeremy Quin is Minister. Possibly the sudden unavailability of Simon Case did not help.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,817
    edited October 2023

Used by Shakespeare in the ‘to be or not to be’ soliloquy: ‘the proud man’s contumely’.
    As is fardel, but you don't see that on PB quite so often.
  • Options
    About the only thing to say about the current cabinet is they're not quite as shit as the current England white ball team.

But that's a bar so low even OFSTED only just clear it.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

If the Home office have responsibility for it then it's long gone. Surely "RAF Scampton" implies MoD control.
    The Home Office wants to build accommodation for asylum seekers there, or some such.
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

Penny Mordaunt
    Not Penny Mordaunt. The text in the Twix in the header says the Secretary of State or the Minister for the Cabinet Office. Oliver Dowden is SoS and Jeremy Quin is Minister. Possibly the sudden unavailability of Simon Case did not help.
    Given he apparently can't use simple technology correctly, or spell, I'm not sure it would make much difference.

In any case, they ought not to have taken it right to the deadline. I can't remember any serious controversies over it, unlike the last rounds.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,166
    😂!
  • Options
    Rally in russia in support of palestine. Protesters shout: “kill, kill, Jews”

It’s interesting that, as we all know, rallies are prohibited in russia, but as you can see... they are not prohibited for everyone

https://twitter.com/RabbiUkraine/status/1718605469504180550
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,592

And he celebrated sub-Saharan Africa in the naming of his dog.
  • Options

Omnium said:

The Home Office wants to build accommodation for asylum seekers there, or some such.
    Why? Is it in Rwanda?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Pro_Rata said:

Penny Mordaunt
    Given he apparently can't use simple technology correctly, or spell, I'm not sure it would make much difference.

In any case, they ought not to have taken it right to the deadline. I can't remember any serious controversies over it, unlike the last rounds.
    That is why I wonder if this is not an accident but an "accident" after CCHQ modelling has changed their minds. It was likely up for review after the photo ID thing backfired.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Why? Is it in Rwanda?
    "Visit Gaza"
  • Options

I like using Shakespeare in PB threads.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2021/09/06/to-fright-the-souls-of-fearful-adversaries-he-capers-nimbly-in-a-ladys-chamber-to-the-lascivious-pleasing-of-a-lute/
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

It’s interesting that, as we all know, rallies are prohibited in russia, but as you can see... they are not prohibited for everyone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogroms_in_the_Russian_Empire
  • Options

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2021/09/06/to-fright-the-souls-of-fearful-adversaries-he-capers-nimbly-in-a-ladys-chamber-to-the-lascivious-pleasing-of-a-lute/
    I'm disappointed you missed out on my use of a classical reference.
  • Options
    Presumably a way will be found, because everyone is working on the basis of the new boundaries. It will just be another minor embarrassment. But it feeds into the sense that Nothing Works Any More.

However, this suggestion amuses me;

Instead of one big national boundary change, they'll propose a list of small, local changes throughout the North.

https://twitter.com/eadingas/status/1718637444487118998

• Options

Presumably a way will be found, because everyone is working on the basis of the new boundaries. It will just be another minor embarrassment. But it feeds into the sense that Nothing Works Any More.

However, this suggestion amuses me;

Instead of one big national boundary change, they'll propose a list of small, local changes throughout the North.

https://twitter.com/eadingas/status/1718637444487118998

That won't work. Not unless the one big boundary changes is made to give us more capacity.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Pro_Rata said:

Penny Mordaunt

That is why I wonder if this is not an accident but an "accident" after CCHQ modelling has changed their minds. It was likely up for review after the photo ID thing backfired.
    Dowden being a Sunak appointment, the conspiracy line would surely be that the role of the Sunak's cronies is to bring about the transition to Labour as thoroughly as possible, so quietly binning these boundary changes would be part of that.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

And quietus, more’s the pity.
  • Options

You are the very glass of fashion.
  • Options

Omnium said:

It is building it - illegally. Hence protest camp and all (as posted on PT, but no harm in giving it an airing again, as I have added earlier reports: not just Greenham C memories, but miners strike.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12680881/Dambusters-RAF-Scampton-battle-airfield-2-000-asylum-seekers.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-12669855/Man-arrested-eggs-thrown-vehicles-amid-disorder-RAF-Scampton.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-12651115/Officers-mess-used-Dambusters-given-listed-building-status.html
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,140
    ydoethur said:

Honestly, this lot couldn't organise an orgy in a brothel.

Bring back Boris.
  • Options
    How was I so optimistic, as to think England would only be 100 runs short?
  • Options
    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/05/technology/ron-desantis-conspiracy-theorists.html is an old article about Ron DeSantis. I mention it now because it highlights the antisemitic obsession with George Soros seen in much of the modern Republican Party in the US. Antisemitism runs deep in too many places.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

And quietus, more’s the pity.
    Odds bodkins!

(No, that's not in the soliloquy, but 'bare bodkin' is in the line after 'quietus' so it will do.)
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Honestly, this lot couldn't organise an orgy in a brothel.

Bring back Boris.
    To be fair, with all his faults he was superb at organising massive fuckups.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Caviar to the general, it would seem.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Caviar to the general, it would seem.
    Be not too tame, neither.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,072
    Off-topic:

Today is the 100th anniversary of the creation of the Turkish Republic, from the remnants of the Ottoman Empire.
  • Options
    When Willey is out, England's massive cockup will be completely exposed.

To be fair, though, it is already. This is more pathetic than Cummings' excuses for breaking lockdown.
  • Options
    Panic over. This Twix thinks the new boundaries were submitted just in time.
    https://twitter.com/AlexGAThomas/status/1718647632724111776
  • Options

The "new" Ilford North would have just touched the northern entrance to Ilford's Elizabeth Line station!

Oh, well...

It's like people who complain there are no tube stations in Hackney, only for it to be pointed out that one of the entrances to Manor House is at least 10ft inside the boundary.
  • Options

Off-topic:

Today is the 100th anniversary of the creation of the Turkish Republic, from the remnants of the Ottoman Empire.

Led by the unfortunately named Mustafa Kamel.

(Yes, I know he's more usually called Ataturk.)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

To be fair, though, it is already. This is more pathetic than Cummings' excuses for breaking lockdown.

We have still the Netherlands to face...
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424
    Someone in the twitter thread replies suggests that they were submitted to the privy council before the deadline, to be considered at a future privy council meeting. So, perhaps, panic over?

Not sure why it took four months to do it, mind, given that it's only a formality.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

We have still the Netherlands to face...
    Don't. Just - don't.
  • Options
    Taz said:
    And yet he built the team that for a point or so...
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,077
    Nigelb said:

Russians are the nastiest bunch of scumbags on the planet
  • Options

We will have to talk about something else.

Anyone else listening to new Poppy album, Zig?
  • Options

Someone in the twitter thread replies suggests that they were submitted to the privy council before the deadline, to be considered at a future privy council meeting. So, perhaps, panic over?

Not sure why it took four months to do it, mind, given that it's only a formality.

You wouldn't have thought it would be a problem to have a council of privies either given what a bunch of shits this lot are.
  • Options

We will have to talk about something else.

Anyone else listening to new Poppy album, Zig?
    I'm waiting for the follow up, Zag, so I can do both together.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Israel is really going to regret its not wholeheartedly supporting Ukraine since 2014. I think they may also regret being so keen on the post-Soviet aliyah, especially as they apparently form the more right-wing segment of the population. On the other hand, the Russians helped somewhat revitalise Israel.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

The behaviour at that protest is disgusting, and Russia's recent actions have definitely not reflected well on its people, but could we avoid thorough-going racism please?
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    I am starting to think England might not retain the World Cup.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Paradoxically, if you scratch an extreme right-wing Israeli you'll often find a Russian underneath. Migration from that quarter has been a major factor in the overpopulation of the West Bank.

Incidentally, a curiosity of Russian geography is the Jewish Autonomous Oblast:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Autonomous_Oblast

• Options
    edited October 2023
    biggles said:

The competition has developed not necessarily to England's advantage.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,592
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Referring to entire groups in such a way is pretty stupid.

For example, a couple of the Russians I know are the most utterly honest people I have ever met.

They will not tell a lie, even to save the face of a boss standing in front of them - to them it is preferable to lose a job than to kiss arse up the chain. One of them did this in front of me.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

The behaviour at that protest is disgusting, and Russia's recent actions have definitely not reflected well on its people, but could we avoid thorough-going racism please?
    You off your trolley , what is racist about that. FFS when did russians become a race, it is made up of many races and countries which have been subjugated. GFY.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,224
    biggles said:

Just like maybe Rishi might not win the GE?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,996
    All England had to do to win this match was bat like in a test match.
  • Options
    I've updated the thread header.

Turns out it was submitted

https://twitter.com/davidtorrance/status/1718653082794422589
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

For example, a couple of the Russians I know are the most utterly honest people I have ever met.

They will not tell a lie, even to save the face of a boss standing in front of them - to them it is preferable to lose a job than to kiss arse up the chain. One of them did this in front of me.
    You are welcome to your opinion, I happen to think they are a nasty nasty bunch as they prove on a regular basis. Sure there are a few decent ones but in a vast minority.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

biggles said:

The competition has developed not necessarily to England's advantage.
    Unconditional surrender, then?
  • Options

I've updated the thread header.

Turns out it was submitted

https://twitter.com/davidtorrance/status/1718653082794422589

TSE peddling FAKE NEWS? Tsk!
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,525

Nigelb said:

Paradoxically, if you scratch an extreme right-wing Israeli you'll often find a Russian underneath. Migration from that quarter has been a major factor in the overpopulation of the West Bank.

Incidentally, a curiosity of Russian geography is the Jewish Autonomous Oblast:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Autonomous_Oblast

Am I the only PB-er who has actually been to that place? Birobidzhan

The trans-Siberian goes through it. We stopped there a while. They were selling Yiddish newspapers in the station; Orthodox Jews walk the streets - still. And all of this in Far Eastern Siberia quite close to China and Mongolia

Superb
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

I have this issue when Leon goes on about Turks. I know a fair few Turks, and I don't recognise much of what he says. But then again, the ones in my family are all thoroughly middle-class, and I rarely get to meet my wife's wider family. The majority of Turks I know are in the UK, and they are of course, a self-selecting group. So when someone says something about Turkish views I disagree with, I can say that it's not true of the ones I know; but that does not mean that it is wrong. Just that I don't recognise it.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    Andy_JS said:

All England had to do to win this match was bat like in a test match.

No it’s been 34 overs. The Test side would have scored 170 by now…
  • Options
    Hooray, England have made it to just 100 runs short.

Here's hoping Willey and Wood make it a bit hard.
This discussion has been closed.