Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How Corbyn could give the Mayoralty to the Tories – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,743
    carnforth said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Didn't we want to still be part of Horizon but they said we couldn't?
    It was in the withdrawal agreement, and reiterated in the TCA. The EU witheld final formal association as leverage over NI. The UK was suing the EU at the ECJ over this, claiming it broke the WA.

Hardcore Remainers' attempts to magic a Rejoin narrative into existence by claiming that Horizon membership is some sort of undoing of Brexit, including on PB, have been strange. It's not clear whether they don't know the above facts, or whether they do and have just spotted an opportunity.
    Yes, so Horizon got suspended because Britain refused to implement the NI protocol. Once we agreed to abide by our agreements, Horizon was back on the table.

The lesson learned is that our government cannot unilaterally rip up treaties without consequence.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,019
    TimS said:

Except perhaps in one way. If the US were to disengage completely from the conflict, as opposed to attempting to dictate Ukraine's action in the war, then I do wonder if the European powers might be in a position to help Ukraine win anyway. Is Russia's conventional military now that much more powerful than a Ukraine supplied by the UK, France, Germany, Sweden and the rest of Europe? And Macron would be very keen to demonstrate strategic autonomy. "Very well, alone".

That doesn't seem likely. The Ukrainians have had $77bn off the US to go to the end of the street in Robotyne so I doubt the Coalition of Euro Super Friends are going to be able to fill that gap in full.

It depends on what the US intentions are. If they just don't care and want to stop shovelling dollars into the Ukrainian money furnace then that's one thing. If they actually want the conflict to stop then it wouldn't be very difficult for them to peel off the usual suspects from Team Europe and collapse that effort.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995

dixiedean said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Fractured, nervy game

Ireland and the Boks both better than this?

But great French kicking

The opening game is always nervy. Especially when big teams are playing each other.
    Yep - like the football World Cup

Both sides will qualify so there’s also no need for any player on either side to risk a broken spine

For me France have faded a little since last season, and the All Blacks are unusually vulnerable albeit with sparkling runners. I’d have the Boks as favourites, Ireland second, France and the ABs equal third

One of those will surely win, despite the unfair draw

I think that's fair. Who would you put your money on, though?
    Good question

I’d have two bets. One for the likely winners: springboks - they’re 9/2

As an outside bet I’d go (bear with me) for England. They have a fair sprinkle of talent but are devoid of confidence and they’ve got a shit coach. But on the day they might just beat anyone and they have a very favourable draw, and they tend to do well in world cups

England are 16/1
    Without wishing to come over all Rogerdamus I genuinely expect England to beat Argentina tomorrow, quite comfortably.
    Me too.
    Not sure about the "comfortably".
    But I'd be surprised if they don't win the group unbeaten. Then beat Australia or Wales.
    Then have a huge "It's coming home" wave from folk who don't know their rugby union.
    Who are then stunned by the 30+ point semi final battering.
    I know nothing at all about Rugby Union but I do know that unfortunately we are not a good team at the moment.

But you never know!
    Thing is. England aren't THAT bad.
    But they are very used to being one of the best two NH teams. They aren't now. A long way behind.
    BUT. The two best NH teams are as good as the Southern Hemisphere. Which is unusual.
    So. They are crap compared to Ireland/France. But they are much better than the usual. And it wouldn't be a surprise if either won. Don't think there's been a RU WC where two NH teams are genuine contenders before.
    Unfortunately neither is England.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,272
    edited September 2023
    Allez Les bleus
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,879
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/sep/08/legionella-found-onboard-the-bibby-stockholm-is-most-deadly-strain

If it's not Scampton archaeology, it's barge plumbing. Who'd be a HO minister?

'After the evacuation of the barge, its water system was flushed in the hope of eliminating the bacteria. New tests were carried out on 15 August and the Home Office hoped the results would show there was no longer legionella onboard so that asylum seekers could return.

The Home Office has not yet announced the results. However, freedom of information data from Dorset council shared with the Guardian has confirmed that the most deadly strain – Legionella pneumophila Serogroup 1 – was found in a galley pot-wash hose outlet in tests conducted at 3.28pm on 15 August. According to the FoI response, this result was “unsatisfactory”.'
  • Options
    France are pretty impressive tbh. They can play any way you like to take them on.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

5th day in a row with temperatures over 30C in London. We should end up with 7 days by Sunday. Possibly just squeezing out a final 8th on Monday though that's unlikely.

Before this year the record number of consecutive 30s in September was 3. The record for consecutive 30+ in any month is still held by the June/July 1976 spell, followed by the record breaking August 2003. But this I think ends up third longest of all time. In Autumn.

Yesterday's mean Central England Temperature was 23.3C. The warmest 24 hours in September history and one of the warmest 24 hours in any month in the UK.

France has has a week of mid to high 30s. Widely record breaking and completely unprecedented for the time of year.

But next week it's back to Autumn, folks. Will come as a bit of a shock

Early and mid September are summer, not autumn. And the heat is grim. A cool down cannot come soon enough. I have barely slept all week.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/weather/seasons/autumn/when-does-autumn-start
    They are astronomical summer but meteorological autumn.
    A debate as old as time (well almost). September is autumn just as March is spring. Leaves start turning orange in September. Lambs frolic and birds tweet in March. Schools are back for the Autumn term. Occams Razor, or its Met equivalent.
    Both are valid.
    There's also the 'what does it feel like' test which is deeply subjective. For me, Autumn starts when the kids go back to school; winter when you open the first window of the advent calendar; Spring when it starts to feel Springlike - here, that's typically mid to late March - and summer some time in early June, or earlier if it's a particularly glorious May - or else when the first test cricket match starts. But summer also sometimes ends on August bank holiday Monday, leaving a few seasonless days before Autumn starts.
    Congrats on your 10,000th and the charming cameo of your daughter

I’d have thought in Manchester summer begins on the first properly warm day - over 25C - in early June, then ends on the only other warm day, a few weeks later
    Haha - no, we just have different standards of warm. But I think trees and flowers are more relevant than temperature. While there is still blossom, it is spring; once these give way to green leaves, summer. Once the leaves start to turn, as they already have, calling it early Autumn doesn't seem daft, even if it's 26 degrees.
    I’m sitting outside in the garden of a charming boutique Tudor hotel in the Forest of Dean. It is 25C at 7.30pm, there are wasps and drowsy flowers, and a pastel pink sunset hazed by the warmth. This is still, definitely, summer. Late summer, but summer nonetheless

Autumn for me - in southern England - reliably begins around September 15th. Looks like this month won’t be an exception
    Well the leaves here are already on the turn, and the light of early September is not a summer light. Dark by 8ish, for a start. But mainly for me its because my seasons are so governed by the activities of my daughters. Once they are back to school, it just seems self-deluding to call it summer.
    As I say, it's all highly subjective and personal. This is just how I feel about it.
    I entirely agree, and I find it equally fascinating

And for me it really matters coz I get SAD and the British winter fucks me up, big time, so I need to know when to FLEE
    I'm looking forward to the updates on PB of this coming winter's "FLEEING". :smile:

Anything left on the bucket list?
    THE ISLANDS OF CAMBODIA, in early November, for the Gazette
    I didn't even know Cambodia had islands.

I love PB!!!
    They do. They are the new frontier of Indochinese tourism - basically Thai islands about 30-40 years ago

https://southeastasiabackpacker.com/destinations/cambodia/the-islands/

The truly great undiscovered paradise around this corner is the islands of Myanmar. There are thousands. Many utterly untouched. Probably they should stay that way - but I doubt they will…

I didn't get to the islands when I was there, but it is a fascinating place. I particularly liked Mount Popa, the Hill of Nats (Bhuddist Saints), including this one who should be the patron Nat of PB:

Min Kyawzwa
    I thought Malc was the patron Nat of PB.
    Similar. Nat Min Kyawzwa is the Nat in charge of drinking, gambling, and gunplay. Burmese will leave offerings of whisky etc at his shrine when planning a busy weekend.
  • Options
    Good win for France

NZ won't be too worried. They will be back.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,272
    Not a vintage all blacks side, more a table wine.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,425
    dixiedean said:

France are pretty impressive tbh. They can play any way you like to take them on.

Or the All blacks are really not good. Remember they suffered their worst ever defeat just before this (to the boks)

Kiwi rugby may be running on fumes
  • Options

Leon said:

So far in the oldest-family-in-the-same-place stakes (non royal) we have the Berkeleys of Berkeley Castle, and the Eltzs of Eltz Castle

Plus maybe some Japanese hoteliers who pre-date both of them by about 500 years

It’s surprisingly hard to find an Italian family which goes back, in situ, before about 1200

My family seems to be the kind to up sticks and move somewhere completely different every generation.
    Philosophical question: what is 'my family'? If you go back 10 generations you have 1,024 ancestors (ignoring a bit of in-breeding). Which of those is 'your family'?
    Exactly so. Yet somehow one aristocratic ancestor is held to trump all others. Most of all royalty (allegedly helped along by divine right and organic olive oil).
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,250

Good win for France

I think they will be a bit. Also in NZ there will be national inquests. I know - I was there in 1998-99 when the ABs were going through a rough patch.

Early days, but Frances to lose? Unless SA really are that good…
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Or the All blacks are really not good. Remember they suffered their worst ever defeat just before this (to the boks)

The all blacks have not recently played as clinically as in the past, for sure

The all blacks and France are probably the only two natiinal teams that do not drop their heads when they are 2-3 try scores behind, with 10.mins to go.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    edited September 2023
    Bit weird to see the fitting final at the start of a tournament, but pfui, France in the groove.

Used to be a massive Patrick O’Brien fan and still get a wee jag when I see the name Beauden Barrett, so close to one of my favourite of his characters, Barret Bonden. Assume Patrick would be with Les Bleus.

• Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,518
    Farooq - Here's a typical table for you: https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2019/crime-in-the-u.s.-2019/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-6.xls (According to reports to the FBI, which are not complete, but probably the best single source of data we have on murders.)

In 2019, almost as many blacks were murdered as whites, though blacks are only about 13 percent of the US population. (As you can see from the table, most of the murderers were of the same race.)

I care about this because I want to see our governments do better at protecting everyone in the US from beng killed, but especially the most vulnerable (blacks and Native Americans). Regardless of the race of the murderer.

I would like to think you agree with me on that.

As for coverage, you can easily research that for yourself. Just search on George Floyd, and then search on a phrase like "black on black murders" and see which gets the most hits.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Leon said:

So far in the oldest-family-in-the-same-place stakes (non royal) we have the Berkeleys of Berkeley Castle, and the Eltzs of Eltz Castle

It’s surprisingly hard to find an Italian family which goes back, in situ, before about 1200

My family seems to be the kind to up sticks and move somewhere completely different every generation.
    Philosophical question: what is 'my family'? If you go back 10 generations you have 1,024 ancestors (ignoring a bit of in-breeding). Which of those is 'your family'?
    Leon's from Cornwall. He's probably got more fingers on one hand than he has great grandparents.
  • Options

Bit weird to see the final at the start of a tournament, but PFI. France in the groove.

Used to be a massive Patrick O’Brien fan and still get a wee jag when I see the name Beauden Barrett, so close to one of my favourite of his characters, Barret Bonden. Assume Patrick would be with Les Bleus.

That is not the final. No way these are the two best teams in the world

Springboks took New Zealand to their worst defeat ever two weeks ago. This is (by their standard) a mediocre kiwi side
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    Dura_Ace said:

TimS said:

Except perhaps in one way. If the US were to disengage completely from the conflict, as opposed to attempting to dictate Ukraine's action in the war, then I do wonder if the European powers might be in a position to help Ukraine win anyway. Is Russia's conventional military now that much more powerful than a Ukraine supplied by the UK, France, Germany, Sweden and the rest of Europe? And Macron would be very keen to demonstrate strategic autonomy. "Very well, alone".

That doesn't seem likely. The Ukrainians have had $77bn off the US to go to the end of the street in Robotyne so I doubt the Coalition of Euro Super Friends are going to be able to fill that gap in full.

It depends on what the US intentions are. If they just don't care and want to stop shovelling dollars into the Ukrainian money furnace then that's one thing. If they actually want the conflict to stop then it wouldn't be very difficult for them to peel off the usual suspects from Team Europe and collapse that effort.
    Who would the 'usual suspects' be? Are you suggesting Robotyne is the only gain Ukraine has made. Forgotten about Kherson and Kharkiv have we?

I'll say this, you'd be a better Russian propagandist than most of Putin's spokesmen.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Leon's from Cornwall. He's probably got more fingers on one hand than he has great grandparents.
    We humans are all "family". Maybe that's why we fall out so much
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,498
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Exactly so. Yet somehow one aristocratic ancestor is held to trump all others. Most of all royalty (allegedly helped along by divine right and organic olive oil).
    Largely because the aristocratic ones are better documented.

We all have aristocratic and non-aristocratic ancestors. Anyone who was alive in Britain ten centuries ago and has descendents, we're all descended from them. But it's only the aristocratic ones who kept family trees.

My aristocratic ancestors don't trump my non-aristocratic ones. Far from it: I'd far rather descend from Anglo-Saxons than Normans. Of course like everyone I'm descended from both. But it's the Normans I know about.
  • Options

Good win for France

I think they will be a bit. Also in NZ there will be national inquests. I know - I was there in 1998-99 when the ABs were going through a rough patch.

Early days, but Frances to lose? Unless SA really are that good…
    More than “a bit”

All blacks have just suffered their worst ever defeat in all rugby and now have their worst ever defeat in World Cup rugby. They will be deeply unhappy. And recently they were defeated at home by Ireland in a test series

But I’m not sure they can do much about it. Apart from some scintillating running they simply don’t look that good. Not any more
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947
    Foxy said:

carnforth said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Didn't we want to still be part of Horizon but they said we couldn't?
    It was in the withdrawal agreement, and reiterated in the TCA. The EU witheld final formal association as leverage over NI. The UK was suing the EU at the ECJ over this, claiming it broke the WA.

Hardcore Remainers' attempts to magic a Rejoin narrative into existence by claiming that Horizon membership is some sort of undoing of Brexit, including on PB, have been strange. It's not clear whether they don't know the above facts, or whether they do and have just spotted an opportunity.
    Yes, so Horizon got suspended because Britain refused to implement the NI protocol. Once we agreed to abide by our agreements, Horizon was back on the table.

The lesson learned is that our government cannot unilaterally rip up treaties without consequence.
    Which is fine, but is still not the escape from Brexit that I keep seeing it protrayed as then.
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Perhaps. They are losing a lot of their youngsters (particularly Pacific immigrants) to the NRL.
    Money talks.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

I believe that genetically speaking your average cornishman is 1/3 cornish, 1/3 other english, 1/3 second home, somehow.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

After my rather excessive working last week, in the three days so far this week (nb I had Tuesday off, so my 'week' started Wednesday) I've already done thirty eight hours (twelve on Wednesday, fifteen yesterday and eleven today), And I'm working the next five days

The hours have been long, and the heat has been pretty heavy. What's been rather heartening about that is just how many drinks I've been offered; there isn't a street where I haven't been offered one, and I got offered five this evening on one quite long road

Sadly when, after 6pm, I reply "Oh, is it Pimms O'clock?", they all think I'm joking!

The worst thing this week has been the spiders

OMFG, I've never seen anything like it. I must have walked through twenty five spiders' webs a day. The ones I've seen I've skilfully taken down with my envelope machete. Most I haven't noticed until I've felt them on my legs, my arms or my face

Then with my hands full of mail I've tried to brush them off me, and then started searching for the spider. Each day I've found at least ten dangling from me, or on me

They've all been the same kind of spider, in varying sizes. Hidden for arachnophobes

Garden Spider (Araneus diadematus)
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Perhaps. They are losing a lot of their youngsters (particularly Pacific immigrants) to the NRL.
    Money talks.
    Yep. And a lot are going back to the islands to play nationally. Samoa, Fiji, etc

Or they are enticed to Europe

We may be witnessing the end of the all blacks remarkable hegemony
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Mecurial has always seemed an apt description when it comes to the French team.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749

A French try, with panache

I shandy ni it.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Spoken like a true optimist.
  • Options

Leon said:

I guess they all are? I don't know much about my ancestry, we're just normal working and lower middle class people as far as I can see, and I know further back in some directions than others, but it's struck me, among the bits I know, how mobile they seem to be. I'm definitely not one of those people with four grandparents from the same village.
  • Options

I shandy ni it.
    A few years ago I orded a panache in France because it sounded interesting, and was very disappointed to recieve a shandy...
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Money talks.
    Yep. And a lot are going back to the islands to play nationally. Samoa, Fiji, etc

I always thought it was slightly sad that Tonga and Samoa's best players went off to play for NZ. Though the Pacific Islanders punch well, well above their weight, losing that many players has an impact.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

I've got a lot of Cornish ancestors, Leon and I are probably cousins.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Spoken like a true optimist.
    Bugger. Rumbled again.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,719

I shandy ni it.
    A few years ago I orded a panache in France because it sounded interesting, and was very disappointed to recieve a shandy...
    Shandy is, though, a drink far better than its unfortunate reputation. As is lager and lime, or indeed port and lemon.
  • Options

Farooq - Here's a typical table for you: https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2019/crime-in-the-u.s.-2019/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-6.xls (According to reports to the FBI, which are not complete, but probably the best single source of data we have on murders.)

In 2019, almost as many blacks were murdered as whites, though blacks are only about 13 percent of the US population. (As you can see from the table, most of the murderers were of the same race.)

I care about this because I want to see our governments do better at protecting everyone in the US from beng killed, but especially the most vulnerable (blacks and Native Americans). Regardless of the race of the murderer.

As for coverage, you can easily research that for yourself. Just search on George Floyd, and then search on a phrase like "black on black murders" and see which gets the most hits.

Yebbut the thing about the phrase "black on black murders" is that it's a term freighted with... meaning. If a Black person kills a Black person, it doesn't necessarily get reported with that phrase, does it? People sometimes use that phrase when engaging in particular types of conversations.

As for George Floyd you must understand, surely, that a story about repressive and violent policing is intrinsically more newsworthy than some commonplace domestic aggro that got out of hand. If you think about the role journalism plays in speaking truth to power, then it's a good thing that racist killer cops and their racist killings get a lot of news coverage. I don't think some random White dude killing some random Black dude is anywhere near as newsworthy as a White cop crushing the neck of a handcuffed Black man for nine minutes, even if the racial aspect is the same.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Bit weird to see the final at the start of a tournament, but PFI. France in the groove.

Springboks took New Zealand to their worst defeat ever two weeks ago. This is (by their standard) a mediocre kiwi side
    I’m pretty sure it won’t be Scotland in the final, and it definitely won’t be England. I am enjoying the plaintive features on BBC Rugby England most mornings asking when normal service will resumed with the low swinging chariots though.
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Money talks.

Yeah. They don't really have the infrastructure for a well paid successful pro league at the level below International which naturally feeds and supports the National team. Sadly. It appears, neither do England. Nor Wales.
    France do.
    Ireland having 4 Provinces, which aren't artificial in any way do.
  • Options
    It’s insanely warm. 26.2C at the nearest weather station, at 10.30pm on a calm night. In September (Autumn, for the avoidance of doubt).

I would be saying it’s insanely warm if this were the 20th July.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    Why does the US allow Musk the power of veto on Ukraine military operations ?

Elon Musk says he withheld Starlink over Crimea to avoid escalation
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66752264
  • Options
    TimS said:

I shandy ni it.
    Shandy is, though, a drink far better than its unfortunate reputation. As is lager and lime, or indeed port and lemon.
    “Grapple” = double shot of grappa and Red Bull

I invented it personally on a trip to Venice and after three Grapples I was absolutely determined to swim the Grand Canal at midnight. Only my long suffering girlfriend held me back

Recommended
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Money talks.

Yeah. They don't really have the infrastructure for a well paid successful pro league at the level below International which naturally feeds and supports the National team. Sadly. It appears, neither do England. Nor Wales.
    France do.
    England absolutely does. They’ve just fucked up the structure, for now

Remember the French team seriously underperformed for at least a decade until about 3 years ago
  • Options

Leon said:

I guess they all are? I don't know much about my ancestry, we're just normal working and lower middle class people as far as I can see, and I know further back in some directions than others, but it's struck me, among the bits I know, how mobile they seem to be. I'm definitely not one of those people with four grandparents from the same village.
    Me too. My grandparents are from Edinburgh, London, Manchester and Birmingham (strangely city-based). Going back another two generations you can add in Anglesey, the Staffordshire Moorlands, Derbyshire, Cornwall, Sheffield, Perthshire, and the Black Country.

I find normal people and their stories even more fascinating than the aristocrats. It's just that there are comparatively few stories from normal people have been preserved.
  • Options
    Southerners!
    Stop moaning about the weather and move north.
    17°C here and lovely. May get 25°C tomorrow.
    You could sell your house and buy a street too.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimS said:

I shandy ni it.

I invented it personally on a trip to Venice and after three Grapples I was absolutely determined to swim the Grand Canal at midnight. Only my long suffering girlfriend held me back

Recommended
    On a similar note Vodka-Calpol.

Be sure to choose the infant version as that allows for a few shots without overdosing on paracetamol.

Double shot of cold vodka
    10 ml of infant calpol

Goes down a treat.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Southerners!

Actually.
    On reflection.
    Please don't.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    Surely agent Corbyn has done enough and is entitled to peaceful retirement for keeping Labour out of power for the best part of a decade?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Southerners!

Actually.
    On reflection.
    Please don't.
    Quite right. You must have been necking some Buckie and Calpol to let the feline out of the sack.
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Money talks.

France do.

Remember the French team seriously underperformed for at least a decade until about 3 years ago
    They don't though.
    It's reliant on extremely rich owners losing millions each year until they get fed up and the clubs go bust.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Southerners!

Who’s moaning? 26C at 10.30 is fantastic. I’m writing this from the patio, twinkling fairy lights on, the sound of raucous celebration on the airwaves from the Wickham Arms, glass of English red wine in hand (Maud Heath, Wiltshire), ruing the fact we’re going back to Northern summer style weather next week.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,668
    edited September 2023

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Most of my family have done family trees, but we failed to make it of pubs in SW London for generations. Sadly we finally made it out just as SW London moved from poverty to gentrification and completely missed the boat..
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Yebbut the thing about the phrase "black on black murders" is that it's a term freighted with... meaning. If a Black person kills a Black person, it doesn't necessarily get reported with that phrase, does it? People sometimes use that phrase when engaging in particular types of conversations.

As for George Floyd you must understand, surely, that a story about repressive and violent policing is intrinsically more newsworthy than some commonplace domestic aggro that got out of hand. If you think about the role journalism plays in speaking truth to power, then it's a good thing that racist killer cops and their racist killings get a lot of news coverage. I don't think some random White dude killing some random Black dude is anywhere near as newsworthy as a White cop crushing the neck of a handcuffed Black man for nine minutes, even if the racial aspect is the same.
    Yes, but - wasn't it shown to be bollocks? i.e. the American police are violent and unpleasant to everyone they suspect of criminal activity, and actually proportionally more so to white suspects? And then the report that showed this quickly hushed up hecause it didn't fit the zeitgeist, and its authors quickly cancelled?
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimS said:

I shandy ni it.

Recommended
    What, drinking a grapple and swimming in the grand canal, or being held back by your gf? :-))))
  • Options
    kjh said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Most of my family have done family trees, but we fail to make it of pubs in SW London. Sadly we finally made it out just as SW London moved from poverty to gentrification and completely missed the boat..
    My paternal side is similar. One small village in Leicestershire, with the odd culinary name of Quorn, as far back as records go. Always yeoman farmers until one of the clan went down to London to become a wine merchant in the 19th century.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,376
    edited September 2023
    Dura_Ace said:

TimS said:

Or Russia can just stop illegally occupying its neighbours' (plural!) territory!

• Options
    TimS said:

kjh said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Most of my family have done family trees, but we fail to make it of pubs in SW London. Sadly we finally made it out just as SW London moved from poverty to gentrification and completely missed the boat..
    My paternal side is similar. One small village in Leicestershire, with the odd culinary name of Quorn, as far back as records go. Always yeoman farmers until one of the clan went down to London to become a wine merchant in the 19th century.
    Did Quorn the food come from the place?
    Idly wondered that the other day.
    And yes I can Google.
  • Options
    TimS said:

dixiedean said:

Southerners!

Who’s moaning? 26C at 10.30 is fantastic. I’m writing this from the patio, twinkling fairy lights on, the sound of raucous celebration on the airwaves from the Wickham Arms, glass of English red wine in hand (Maud Heath, Wiltshire), ruing the fact we’re going back to Northern summer style weather next week.
    26.7 degrees at 10.30 INSIDE my living room with the FAN ON is definitely NOT fantastic!
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Money talks.

France do.

They don't though.
    It's reliant on extremely rich owners losing millions each year until they get fed up and the clubs go bust.
    Average attendance English rugby premier division: 12,800

Average attendance French equivalent: 14,800

Almost the same. So yes English rugby can sustain itself as French rugby does. And offer decent salaries. English club rugby overreached, is the problem
  • Options
    TimS said:

dixiedean said:

Southerners!

You're not moaning.
    Others...
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Money talks.

France do.

They don't though.
    But why should that be so? Surely there are far more paying spectators in England than in Ireland? The English club game isn't in great health, but it's not clear why it can't be.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    TimS said:

dixiedean said:

Southerners!

We've had a week in Ashford which sadly comes to an end tomorrow when we are moving on to Oxford. All week has felt genuinely Mediterranean and walking home from the restaurant tonight was positively balmy.

In Scotland we have not had a single day like this week all summer. Even periods of bright sunshine have been consistently interrupted with sharp showers. The food has been very good too, mainly Italian although last night I had a paella to die for. Just superb.

To be honest, if you could be confident of weather like this I am pretty sure nearly all our holidays would be in the UK and would not involve going anywhere near an airport.
  • Options

Leon said:

I’m pretty sure it won’t be Scotland in the final, and it definitely won’t be England. I am enjoying the plaintive features on BBC Rugby England most mornings asking when normal service will resumed with the low swinging chariots though.
    There it is again. The weird and abject inferiority complex

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,825
    Did New Zealand deserve to lose that match?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Money talks.

France do.

They don't though.
    But why should that be so? Surely there are far more paying spectators in England than in Ireland? The English club game isn't in great health, but it's not clear why it can't be.
    Quite so. See my stats
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimS said:

I shandy ni it.

Recommended
    Shotting extreme amounts of energy drinks is something I highly do not recommend.

A few years back I had an incredibly stupid night out where I was dared to drink 14 Jagerbombs in half an hour, in a challenge to raise money for charity. Something I duly completed, and was then egged on that each further shot would equal a further £10 per shot for my charity I was raising money for.

The next day I felt the worst I ever have in my entire life. It wasn't the alcohol, I must have drank over a litre of Jager that night but I've drank comparable amounts of alcohol before. It was the mixer, figured out the next day that must have consumed about 7-8 cans of red bull in that half an hour and looking back, that could have killed me. I was having heart palpitations the whole of the next day and didn't feel right for a couple of days. Perhaps should have gone to a hospital, but didn't.

A few days later I sheepishly walked in to donate ~£340 from memory I'd raised for my chosen charity. The charity were impressed and said they would like to post about it and thank me online and how did I raise the money - my wife explained and they said that on second thought they would accept the money anonymously but they wouldn't advertise how it was raised.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Did New Zealand deserve to lose that match?

I'd say France were the better team, but not by as much as the scoreline suggests.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    DavidL said:

TimS said:

dixiedean said:

Southerners!

We've had a week in Ashford which sadly comes to an end tomorrow when we are moving on to Oxford. All week has felt genuinely Mediterranean and walking home from the restaurant tonight was positively balmy.

In Scotland we have not had a single day like this week all summer. Even periods of bright sunshine have been consistently interrupted with sharp showers. The food has been very good too, mainly Italian although last night I had a paella to die for. Just superb.

To be honest, if you could be confident of weather like this I am pretty sure nearly all our holidays would be in the UK and would not involve going anywhere near an airport.
    A lot more, though perhaps not nearly all.

Nice on Jeju at the moment.
    https://www.bbc.com/weather/1846266

I’m flying back to Seoul on Monday, which is good timing.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Yes, but - wasn't it shown to be bollocks? i.e. the American police are violent and unpleasant to everyone they suspect of criminal activity, and actually proportionally more so to white suspects? And then the report that showed this quickly hushed up hecause it didn't fit the zeitgeist, and its authors quickly cancelled?
    I've heard this before, and if you're referring to the same thing then it's a case of Simpson's Paradox:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/06/11/opinion/statistical-paradox-police-killings/

In short, police are more likely to kill Black people in the US in the same scenario.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TimS said:

dixiedean said:

Southerners!

The last 5 days I’ve spent tootling down the Welsh marches have been borderline sublime, to be frank. Great history, great landscapes, great castles, great hikes and drinks and fun. Lots of friendly people. Fascinating stories. Roman ruins and drovers inns. Ruined abbeys and Michelin restaurants. Craft beers in the hills and superb English wine in the valleys

Britain is magnificent when it wants to be and this week HEREFORD APART has been exceptional. The weather has been pretty helpful. And so has the food. Consistently excellent. Like a French holiday in the 1980s where all the food is surprisingly good
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Money talks.

France do.

They don't though.
    Quite so. See my stats
    Do those stats include the three clubs which went bust? Presumably without them the stats are rather healthier?

Sale continue to attract approximately no one to their home games at the worst-located stadium in the country. It's a mystery how they stay afloat. Sale: come back to rugby union territory, put your ground somewhere accessible for drinkers, and people will come again.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

dixiedean said:

Southerners!

The last 5 days I’ve spent tootling down the Welsh marches have been borderline sublime, to be frank. Great history, great landscapes, great castles, great hikes and drinks and fun. Lots of friendly people. Fascinating stories. Roman ruins and drovers inns. Ruined abbeys and Michelin restaurants. Craft beers in the hills and superb English wine in the valleys

Britain is magnificent when it wants to be and this week HEREFORD APART has been exceptional. The weather has been pretty helpful. And so has the food. Consistently excellent. Like a French holiday in the 1980s where all the food is surprisingly good
    And you didn't even visit Newent...
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    RIP Mike Yarwood.

Before my time but I understand his political impressions were quite the thing.
  • Options
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

dixiedean said:

Southerners!

Yeah, the food has improved out of all recognition from even 10 years ago. And there is so much to see. We loved Igtham Mote (thanks for the recommendation), Canterbury, a vineyard, Rye, the Battle of Britain memorial and Dover Castle but my favourite was Chartwell. Just a superb exhibition of a house in spectacular grounds. We could have had another week here and filled it without problems. The density of things to see in the UK is pretty much unmatched and we are getting much better at showing them off.
  • Options
    This sums up my trip. Outside my yurt in the golden valley. A blissful beer

Then I went to meet my host. Glyn. Who is distilling spiffing gin and roasting award winning coffee. In a tiny farm under the Black Hill

And in his garden he has a sculpture of a Liberty Cap mushroom. Psilocybin Semilanceata. We drank his gin and swapped stories of mushroom trips

• Options
    edited September 2023
    We reached this beauty on the evening of the fourth day. The Cameron-Mackintosh forty-valve, air-cooled diesel -- the 184 -- it's almost identical to the 179, but have you noticed the difference? Can you see the refinement in the funnel edgings?

I thought: we're not going to get another chance to see one of these, so we bivouacked down under the fuel pump for the night. There's a funny story about that, which I'll tell you later. But we're not going to get to any of the class fives unless we push along. Next!
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Money talks.

France do.

They don't though.
    Average attendance English rugby premier division: 12,800

Average attendance French equivalent: 14,800

Almost the same. So yes English rugby can sustain itself as French rugby does. And offer decent salaries. English club rugby overreached, is the problem
    So, better than League 1 football, about 2/3 of Championship attendance.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

I've heard this before, and if you're referring to the same thing then it's a case of Simpson's Paradox:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/06/11/opinion/statistical-paradox-police-killings/

In short, police are more likely to kill Black people in the US in the same scenario.
    That's a really good and clear example of where confounding variables matter and how you can draw the wrong conclusions from statistics.

As well as being a really good and clear demonstration of how American Police are not fit for purpose.
  • Options

RIP Mike Yarwood.

Definitely part of my childhood TV viewing. RIP.

• Options

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

That's a really good and clear example of where confounding variables matter and how you can draw the wrong conclusions from statistics.

As well as being a really good and clear demonstration of how American Police are not fit for purpose.
    Yes, fully agreed. Good statistical understanding and good communication of it. Sadly rarer than it should be in journalism, but worth celebrating when seen in the wild.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

dixiedean said:

Southerners!

Yeah, the food has improved out of all recognition from even 10 years ago. And there is so much to see. We loved Igtham Mote (thanks for the recommendation), Canterbury, a vineyard, Rye, the Battle of Britain memorial and Dover Castle but my favourite was Chartwell. Just a superb exhibition of a house in spectacular grounds. We could have had another week here and filled it without problems. The density of things to see in the UK is pretty much unmatched and we are getting much better at showing them off.
    We really are. If I may be excused one more anecdote and photo

I went to visit a cider brewery in east Herefordshire. Pomona. They were completely passionate about their artisan product and entirely confident of its quality and they knew how to sell it. Pairing it - Perry, perrikin, ciderkin, damson wine - with superb British cheeses I’ve never tried before. Uplifting!

• Options
    Re Topic - you might equally say the Tory might win because the Lib Dems and / or Greens are standing. Unfortunately reverting to a simple first past the post only helps the Tories - which is why they changed the rules
  • Options
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

dixiedean said:

Southerners!

I went to visit a cider brewery in east Herefordshire. Pomona. They were completely passionate about their artisan product and entirely confident of its quality and they knew how to sell it. Pairing it - Perry, perrikin, ciderkin, damson wine - with superb British cheeses I’ve never tried before. Uplifting!

I have spent many happy days in rural Herefordshire thanks to family links.

England's secret gem frankly.
  • Options
    edited September 2023

RIP Mike Yarwood.

So well known that Dennis Healey copied Yarwoods impression of Healey by using the term "silly Billy", not having used it previously.

Yarwood was finished off by having a female PM. It ruined the centrepiece of his act.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,958
    edited September 2023

Leon said:

TimS said:

I shandy ni it.

Recommended
    Shotting extreme amounts of energy drinks is something I highly do not recommend.

A few years back I had an incredibly stupid night out where I was dared to drink 14 Jagerbombs in half an hour, in a challenge to raise money for charity. Something I duly completed, and was then egged on that each further shot would equal a further £10 per shot for my charity I was raising money for.

The next day I felt the worst I ever have in my entire life. It wasn't the alcohol, I must have drank over a litre of Jager that night but I've drank comparable amounts of alcohol before. It was the mixer, figured out the next day that must have consumed about 7-8 cans of red bull in that half an hour and looking back, that could have killed me. I was having heart palpitations the whole of the next day and didn't feel right for a couple of days. Perhaps should have gone to a hospital, but didn't.

A few days later I sheepishly walked in to donate ~£340 from memory I'd raised for my chosen charity. The charity were impressed and said they would like to post about it and thank me online and how did I raise the money - my wife explained and they said that on second thought they would accept the money anonymously but they wouldn't advertise how it was raised.

Leon said:

TimS said:

I shandy ni it.

Recommended

I knew a guy who lived off triple-quadruple-whatever coffee's when he was studying for his exams. Spent several years in a cell just painting vaguely bird-shaped things on the walls.

Oddly enough tonight I have been rewatching some old psychedelic/hippy/trippy era films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwS4kjGIRP8
  • Options

Chris Williamson
    @DerbyChrisW
    If you want to stop Starmer, join us. The campaign launch takes place tomorrow at Conway Hall in London.

We don't have to accept the Labour and Tory neoliberal warmongers. We deserve better, and together, we can make it happen.

https://twitter.com/DerbyChrisW/status/1700140549318021165
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

There it is again. The weird and abject inferiority complex

Once you have another country’s psychodrama piped incessantly through your bedside radio you might have a better overview of the ‘complexity’. Not going to happen though, is it?
  • Options
    Matt Zarb-Cousin
    @mattzarb
    ·
    8h
    Corbyn should run for City Hall. Fuck those guys, he owes them nothing
  • Options

Chris Williamson
    @DerbyChrisW
    If you want to stop Starmer, join us. The campaign launch takes place tomorrow at Conway Hall in London.

We don't have to accept the Labour and Tory neoliberal warmongers. We deserve better, and together, we can make it happen.

He manages to encapsulate his lot’s antisemitism and Putinism in two pithy words, “neoliberal” and “warmongers”

Is there anything more untrue than “together we can make it happen”?

They should fuck off to America and get a room with fellow travellers Trump and Tucker.
  • Options

Matt Zarb-Cousin
    @mattzarb
    ·
    8h
    Corbyn should run for City Hall. Fuck those guys, he owes them nothing

This is why FPTP is so entertaining.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

I shandy ni it.

Recommended

Leon said:

TimS said:

I shandy ni it.

Recommended

I knew a guy who lived off triple-quadruple-whatever coffee's when he was studying for his exams. Spent several years in a cell just painting vaguely bird-shaped things on the walls.

Oddly enough tonight I have been rewatching some old psychedelic/hippy/trippy era films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwS4kjGIRP8
    I'm fortunate, I've spent years living off strong coffees and its never done me any harm. Others might disagree ~ Ed
  • Options
    Peak Guardian:

Carlton Reid @carltonreid

I cycled to @StormTea
    to get my coffee beans earlier and took my pet self-flying drone with me. This 1 minute video is the result.

https://twitter.com/carltonreid/status/1700241965428752741
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    TimS said:

kjh said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Coincidence. We were there today, just after visiting the beer festival on the Great Central Railway. Quorn and Woodhouse station.

https://www.gcrailway.co.uk/special-events/beer-festival/
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,094
    TimS said:

It’s insanely warm. 26.2C at the nearest weather station, at 10.30pm on a calm night. In September (Autumn, for the avoidance of doubt).

It’s summer until the equinox on 22/23 September, although this is hot even for high summer in this country. Absolutely grim. Impossible to sleep. I have tried everything, but it’s like tucking up in a slightly faulty sauna.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Southerners!

The simple flaw in that plan is that we’d then have to live up north.
  • Options

TimS said:

dixiedean said:

Southerners!

26.7 degrees at 10.30 INSIDE my living room with the FAN ON is definitely NOT fantastic!
    Indeed. It’s absolutely horrible and how anyone can like it is completely beyond me.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

TimS said:

dixiedean said:

Southerners!

You're not moaning.
    Others...
    I need something to do, given i haven’t had a decent night’s sleep in over a week.
  • Options

TimS said:

It’s summer until the equinox on 22/23 September, although this is hot even for high summer in this country. Absolutely grim. Impossible to sleep. I have tried everything, but it’s like tucking up in a slightly faulty sauna.
    Meteorological summer ended at the end of August.

Considering the weather follows meteorological seasons and not astronomical ones, its the more relevant definition too.
  • Options

TimS said:

dixiedean said:

Southerners!

Indeed. It’s absolutely horrible and how anyone can like it is completely beyond me.
    Looking forward to Tuesday when it should be around 10 degrees cooler.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Chris Williamson
    @DerbyChrisW

He manages to encapsulate his lot’s antisemitism and Putinism in two pithy words, “neoliberal” and “warmongers”

Is there anything more untrue than “together we can make it happen”?

They should fuck off to America and get a room with fellow travellers Trump and Tucker.
    Conway Hall has seen a lot of campaign launches. They've not been uniformly successful.
  • Options

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

dixiedean said:

Southerners!

I have spent many happy days in rural Herefordshire thanks to family links.

England's secret gem frankly.
    Absolutely. Just a beautiful, wonderful county. And nobody knows about it!
This discussion has been closed.