Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How Corbyn could give the Mayoralty to the Tories – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,562
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Another excellent meal here in Clearwell, Glos, at the Tudor Farmhouse Hotel

That’s five good or great dinners in a row. I wonder if British cooking has taken another step up

I have also had one of the best breakfast dishes of my life on this trip. The smoked haddock, whipped egg white and black bomber omelette at the Haughmond

https://www.thehaughmond.co.uk/menu

Up there with Robuchon’s scrambled eggs in Monte Carlo, and I do not jest about such serious things

That sounds very fine.
    Have you read "Red Sauce, Brown Sauce" by Felicity Cloake? Basically a tour of the UK in search of the perfect breakfast. Very readable.
    My lament when it comes to breakfast is for the increasing scarcity of kippers on breakfast menus. Haven't seen them for years (not that I frequently eat breakfast out).
    Start a campaign to bring them back…

I’ve been campaigning for years to reintroduced the Stinger cocktail…
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,360
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,536
    tlg86 said:

This is definitely summer. The hot weather over the weekend of 1 and 2 October 2011 was autumn and a proper Indian Summer;

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/uk/london/historic?month=10&year=2011

To be a PROPER Indian Summer, there has to have been at least one night of frost beforehand....
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,887
    TimS said:

Foxy said:

Quite enjoying the hot weather, sitting alfresco with a cool drink in the last blast of summer.

But by gum, there are few bodies improved by tattoos.

I think - I hope - we are past peak tattoo. It was largely a millennial thing in the same way binge drinking was a Gen X thing (and still is). I'm not sensing many people in their teens now getting tats like they were a decade or so ago.
    I think you might well be right, though I do notice an increasing number of tats on Gen X as a manifestation of midlife crisis.

I have resisted temptation myself.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,360
    Next week is going to be 10 degrees cooler than this week.

Jumpers at the ready...
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

That’s five good or great dinners in a row. I wonder if British cooking has taken another step up

I have also had one of the best breakfast dishes of my life on this trip. The smoked haddock, whipped egg white and black bomber omelette at the Haughmond

Up there with Robuchon’s scrambled eggs in Monte Carlo, and I do not jest about such serious things

That sounds very fine.
    Have you read "Red Sauce, Brown Sauce" by Felicity Cloake? Basically a tour of the UK in search of the perfect breakfast. Very readable.
    My lament when it comes to breakfast is for the increasing scarcity of kippers on breakfast menus. Haven't seen them for years (not that I frequently eat breakfast out).
    The decline of kippers for breakfast is one the finest metaphors going for the decline of England.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,044
    They butchered those anthems. Abysmal.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

That sounds very fine.
    My Dad LOVED kippers!

I love a smoked haddock, with poached egg, and toasted sourdough: a classic breakfast. You can still reliably find it in good hotels

But that omelette was fucking amazing. And I rarely swear. Absolutely ace. Very rich, but perfectly small, so you didn’t feel overfed, or stuffed, you just left the breakfast table with a smile and a feeling of “yay let’s go”

I will read that book!
    Smoke me a kipper. I’ll be back for breakfast.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,149

Cookie said:

Leon said:

That sounds very fine.
    The decline of kippers for breakfast is one the finest metaphors going for the decline of England.
    But I can happily report that smoked haddock and poached egg never went away, and now new chefs are doing new things with fish for brekkers

HUZZAH
  • Options
    After my rather excessive working last week, in the three days so far this week (nb I had Tuesday off, so my 'week' started Wednesday) I've already done thirty eight hours (twelve on Wednesday, fifteen yesterday and eleven today), And I'm working the next five days

The hours have been long, and the heat has been pretty heavy. What's been rather heartening about that is just how many drinks I've been offered; there isn't a street where I haven't been offered one, and I got offered five this evening on one quite long road

Sadly when, after 6pm, I reply "Oh, is it Pimms O'clock?", they all think I'm joking!

The worst thing this week has been the spiders

OMFG, I've never seen anything like it. I must have walked through twenty five spiders' webs a day. The ones I've seen I've skilfully taken down with my envelope machete. Most I haven't noticed until I've felt them on my legs, my arms or my face

Then with my hands full of mail I've tried to brush them off me, and then started searching for the spider. Each day I've found at least ten dangling from me, or on me

They've all been the same kind of spider, in varying sizes. Hidden for arachnophobes

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,536

At last some good news on tidal energy:-

Four green energy tidal stream projects have been given the green light. Marine Energy Wales has welcomed today’s announcement that tidal stream projects based in waters off Anglesey. They will provide electricity to the National Grid.

It comes as part of the latest round of the UK Government’s renewable auction. Over 22 megawatts (MW) of tidal stream capacity has been contracted in Wales and will be deployed at Morlais Tidal Demonstration Zone on Anglesey. The projects include:

Hydrowing: 10MW
    Verdant: 4.9MW
    MOR Energy: 4.5MW
    Magallanes: 3MW

Overall, 93 projects with existing planning permission across England, Scotland and Wales have won contracts through the competitive auction process. The greatest capacity – almost 7GW - has been secured from new offshore wind projects around the coastline of Great Britain, enough to increase the country’s overall capacity built and under construction by 35% and take a significant step towards meeting the government’s 50GW of offshore wind ambition by 2030.

Tidal stream technology, which produces power from tidal currents, is a predictable and consistent source of energy. It has already delivered over 70GWh of electricity to the grid – which is said to be enough to power more than 25,000 households for a whole year.

Chicken feed.

Cardiff Bay tidal lagoon would power 1.3 million households for a whole year.

50GW of offshore wind is a shit target, because in 30 years time you have.....0 GW and a vast array of rusting turbines and bases to replace.

But, none of today's politicians will give a toss. They will be long gone.

Time to get off our arses and do the job properly.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

5th day in a row with temperatures over 30C in London. We should end up with 7 days by Sunday. Possibly just squeezing out a final 8th on Monday though that's unlikely.

Before this year the record number of consecutive 30s in September was 3. The record for consecutive 30+ in any month is still held by the June/July 1976 spell, followed by the record breaking August 2003. But this I think ends up third longest of all time. In Autumn.

Yesterday's mean Central England Temperature was 23.3C. The warmest 24 hours in September history and one of the warmest 24 hours in any month in the UK.

France has has a week of mid to high 30s. Widely record breaking and completely unprecedented for the time of year.

But next week it's back to Autumn, folks. Will come as a bit of a shock

Early and mid September are summer, not autumn. And the heat is grim. A cool down cannot come soon enough. I have barely slept all week.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/weather/seasons/autumn/when-does-autumn-start
    They are astronomical summer but meteorological autumn.
    A debate as old as time (well almost). September is autumn just as March is spring. Leaves start turning orange in September. Lambs frolic and birds tweet in March. Schools are back for the Autumn term. Occams Razor, or its Met equivalent.
    Both are valid.
    There's also the 'what does it feel like' test which is deeply subjective. For me, Autumn starts when the kids go back to school; winter when you open the first window of the advent calendar; Spring when it starts to feel Springlike - here, that's typically mid to late March - and summer some time in early June, or earlier if it's a particularly glorious May - or else when the first test cricket match starts. But summer also sometimes ends on August bank holiday Monday, leaving a few seasonless days before Autumn starts.
    Congrats on your 10,000th and the charming cameo of your daughter

I’d have thought in Manchester summer begins on the first properly warm day - over 25C - in early June, then ends on the only other warm day, a few weeks later
    Haha - no, we just have different standards of warm. But I think trees and flowers are more relevant than temperature. While there is still blossom, it is spring; once these give way to green leaves, summer. Once the leaves start to turn, as they already have, calling it early Autumn doesn't seem daft, even if it's 26 degrees.
    I’m sitting outside in the garden of a charming boutique Tudor hotel in the Forest of Dean. It is 25C at 7.30pm, there are wasps and drowsy flowers, and a pastel pink sunset hazed by the warmth. This is still, definitely, summer. Late summer, but summer nonetheless

Autumn for me - in southern England - reliably begins around September 15th. Looks like this month won’t be an exception
    Well the leaves here are already on the turn, and the light of early September is not a summer light. Dark by 8ish, for a start. But mainly for me its because my seasons are so governed by the activities of my daughters. Once they are back to school, it just seems self-deluding to call it summer.
    As I say, it's all highly subjective and personal. This is just how I feel about it.
    I entirely agree, and I find it equally fascinating

And for me it really matters coz I get SAD and the British winter fucks me up, big time, so I need to know when to FLEE
    I'm looking forward to the updates on PB of this coming winter's "FLEEING". :smile:

Anything left on the bucket list?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Jumpers at the ready...

Thank god for that. Can’t stand this heat.
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Representative Nancy Pelosi of California, who was the Democratic Party’s long-serving House leader and the first woman to hold the post, announced on Friday that she would seek re-election in 2024, ending months of speculation about her political future.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/08/us/politics/nancy-pelosi-re-election.html

She is 83.

FFS.

To be fair, she's just a rank and file Congresswoman, and it's just a two year term.

BUT

Yes, she should retire.
    She should retire simply on principle. These bed blocking billionaires are a fucking disgrace

Move over, you old crone, give someone younger a go. UGH. No wonder Americans don’t bother voting, no wonder the young are utterly disengaged

Biden and Trump likewise, of course, and Mitch “Call the Mortuary” McConnell. All of them

I remember when we in the west used to scoff at China and the USSR for their dysfunctional octogenarian politburos
    Excellent post. It is getting fucking ridiculous.

Let's hope this country doesn't go the same way.

• Options

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

5th day in a row with temperatures over 30C in London. We should end up with 7 days by Sunday. Possibly just squeezing out a final 8th on Monday though that's unlikely.

Before this year the record number of consecutive 30s in September was 3. The record for consecutive 30+ in any month is still held by the June/July 1976 spell, followed by the record breaking August 2003. But this I think ends up third longest of all time. In Autumn.

Yesterday's mean Central England Temperature was 23.3C. The warmest 24 hours in September history and one of the warmest 24 hours in any month in the UK.

France has has a week of mid to high 30s. Widely record breaking and completely unprecedented for the time of year.

Early and mid September are summer, not autumn. And the heat is grim. A cool down cannot come soon enough. I have barely slept all week.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/weather/seasons/autumn/when-does-autumn-start
    A debate as old as time (well almost). September is autumn just as March is spring. Leaves start turning orange in September. Lambs frolic and birds tweet in March. Schools are back for the Autumn term. Occams Razor, or its Met equivalent.
    Both are valid.
    There's also the 'what does it feel like' test which is deeply subjective. For me, Autumn starts when the kids go back to school; winter when you open the first window of the advent calendar; Spring when it starts to feel Springlike - here, that's typically mid to late March - and summer some time in early June, or earlier if it's a particularly glorious May - or else when the first test cricket match starts. But summer also sometimes ends on August bank holiday Monday, leaving a few seasonless days before Autumn starts.

I’d have thought in Manchester summer begins on the first properly warm day - over 25C - in early June, then ends on the only other warm day, a few weeks later
    Haha - no, we just have different standards of warm. But I think trees and flowers are more relevant than temperature. While there is still blossom, it is spring; once these give way to green leaves, summer. Once the leaves start to turn, as they already have, calling it early Autumn doesn't seem daft, even if it's 26 degrees.
    I’m sitting outside in the garden of a charming boutique Tudor hotel in the Forest of Dean. It is 25C at 7.30pm, there are wasps and drowsy flowers, and a pastel pink sunset hazed by the warmth. This is still, definitely, summer. Late summer, but summer nonetheless

Autumn for me - in southern England - reliably begins around September 15th. Looks like this month won’t be an exception
    Well the leaves here are already on the turn, and the light of early September is not a summer light. Dark by 8ish, for a start. But mainly for me its because my seasons are so governed by the activities of my daughters. Once they are back to school, it just seems self-deluding to call it summer.
    As I say, it's all highly subjective and personal. This is just how I feel about it.

And for me it really matters coz I get SAD and the British winter fucks me up, big time, so I need to know when to FLEE
    I'm looking forward to the updates on PB of this coming winter's "FLEEING". :smile:

I hear Cambodia is good for teen prostitutes.
  • Options

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Both are valid.

THE ISLANDS OF CAMBODIA, in early November, for the Gazette
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Both are valid.

Just as I thought...
  • Options
    Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Jumpers at the ready...

Thank god for that. Can’t stand this heat.
    I love the evenings in this heat. Balmy and blithe. Easy to think one is in southern france.

But the days are bloody hard work.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Both are valid.

Just as I thought...
    You guessed I might head off to South East Asia in late autumn? It doesn’t take a genius, TBH
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,599
    Here's a graph showing homicides in the US, for those who were wondering how they changed during recent presidencies. Note, please, that I said "during", rather than, for example, "because of")
    https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/USA/united-states/murder-homicide-rate

Nonetheless, I think presidents have had some effect on those rates.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

That sounds very fine.
    My Dad LOVED kippers!

I love a smoked haddock, with poached egg, and toasted sourdough: a classic breakfast. You can still reliably find it in good hotels

But that omelette was fucking amazing. And I rarely swear. Absolutely ace. Very rich, but perfectly small, so you didn’t feel overfed, or stuffed, you just left the breakfast table with a smile and a feeling of “yay let’s go”

I will read that book!
    What a guy!
  • Options
    boulay said:

It does of course help them that Connor MacLeod is still kicking around. Hard to evict someone who is immortal.

There can be only one!
  • Options

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Both are valid.

I actually have quite a few bucket list destinations left to tick off. All of Polynesia, all of the stans, all of Central America, all of southern India

• Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Both are valid.

I didn't even know Cambodia had islands.

I love PB!!!
  • Options
    Taz said:

They butchered those anthems. Abysmal.

Agreed, it was terrible.
  • Options

After my rather excessive working last week, in the three days so far this week (nb I had Tuesday off, so my 'week' started Wednesday) I've already done thirty eight hours (twelve on Wednesday, fifteen yesterday and eleven today), And I'm working the next five days

The hours have been long, and the heat has been pretty heavy. What's been rather heartening about that is just how many drinks I've been offered; there isn't a street where I haven't been offered one, and I got offered five this evening on one quite long road

Sadly when, after 6pm, I reply "Oh, is it Pimms O'clock?", they all think I'm joking!

OMFG, I've never seen anything like it. I must have walked through twenty five spiders' webs a day. The ones I've seen I've skilfully taken down with my envelope machete. Most I haven't noticed until I've felt them on my legs, my arms or my face

Then with my hands full of mail I've tried to brush them off me, and then started searching for the spider. Each day I've found at least ten dangling from me, or on me

They've all been the same kind of spider, in varying sizes. Hidden for arachnophobes

I, for one, welcome our new arachnid overlords.
  • Options

Taz said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

That sounds very fine.
    My Dad LOVED kippers!

I will read that book!
    What a guy!
    He’s ace.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Both are valid.

I love PB!!!
    They do. They are the new frontier of Indochinese tourism - basically Thai islands about 30-40 years ago

https://southeastasiabackpacker.com/destinations/cambodia/the-islands/

The truly great undiscovered paradise around this corner is the islands of Myanmar. There are thousands. Many utterly untouched. Probably they should stay that way - but I doubt they will…

• Options

Breeding season.
  • Options
    Oooh red card?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Both are valid.

I actually have quite a few bucket list destinations left to tick off. All of Polynesia, all of the stans, all of Central America, all of southern India

Be sure to check out Isam's shop and the Chris Waddle Museum if you're ever near Kannur, northern Kerala.

• Options

Breeding season.
    Thanks for asking but it's been a long week and I'm a bit tired.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Both are valid.

Be sure to check out Isam's shop and the Chris Waddle Museum if you're ever near Kannur, northern Kerala.

Serious question

I may be in the Maldives in a couple weeks, and I’ve thought about taking the chance to go to Kerala when my assignment there is over. it is just a short hop from Male to Cochin

If I go to Kerala, where must I go? What’s a MUST SEE? Any hidden jewels?
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Both are valid.

I love PB!!!
    They do. They are the new frontier of Indochinese tourism - basically Thai islands about 30-40 years ago

The truly great undiscovered paradise around this corner is the islands of Myanmar. There are thousands. Many utterly untouched. Probably they should stay that way - but I doubt they will…

I didn't get to the islands when I was there, but it is a fascinating place. I particularly liked Mount Popa, the Hill of Nats (Bhuddist Saints), including this one who should be the patron Nat of PB:

Min Kyawzwa
  • Options
    For Dr. Foxy, an example of the potential complexity of deciding which set of US police should take charge of a crime in the US, from Tony Hillerman's "Dance Hall of the Dead"'

In chapter 2, Hillermans's senior Navajo detective, Joe Leaphorn, is thinking about a case he has been assigned to:
    "An old Singer had complained that he had given a neighbor woman eight hundred dollars to take into Gallup and make a down payment on a pickup truck and the woman had spent his money. Some of the facts were easy enough to establish. The woman had retrieved almost right hundred dollars of her pawn from a Gallup shop on the day in question and she hadn't given any money to the car-lot owner. So it should have been simple, but it wasn't. The woman said the Singer owed her the money, and that the Singer was a witch, a Navajo wolf. And then there was the question of which side of the boundary fence they had been standing on when the money changed hands. If she was standing where she said she had been, they were on Navajo reservation land and were under tribal-federal jurisdiction. But if they stood where the Singer claimed, they were over on nonreservation allocation land and the case would probably be tried under the New Mexico embezzlement law."

Leaphorn is musing over that problem while at a meeting with officers from three other agencies on an apparent murder. Later in the novel it gets more complicated, and he attends a meeting with five other agencies.

(I recommend Hillerman's detective stories to almost everyone, more for the descriptions of Navajo culture than the detection. But I should warn legal folks that his detectives sometimes prefer following their idea of justice, rather than the letter of the law.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Hillerman
  • Options

Breeding season.
    Thanks for asking but it's been a long week and I'm a bit tired.
    That's OK, you probably don't have enough legs anyway
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,116
    Evening all :)

Plenty of interesting polling about today especially for those of us in London.

I think @Foxy had it right earlier - Khan has overplayed his hand going for a third term. He probably thought Starmer wouldn't beat a Conservative Government with an 80-seat majority but events have not developed to his advantage and he's made a huge personal and political blunder.

Even if he gets over the line he'll be an irrelevance if Labour are in Government (and more likely a nuisance) whereas he could have found himself a nice safe constituency and got a reasonable job in a new Starmer Cabinet. His only saving grace is the Conservative candidate - instead of a moderate centrist who could have hoovered up the anti-Khan vote, the London Tories have chosen so'meone who may go down well in Harrow but probably less so in Newham.

We also have a London VI poll which has Labour on 47%, the Conservatives on 27% and the LDs on 17% so that's Labour down one, the Conservatives down five and the Liberal Democrats up two. That wouldn't mean much change but presumably IDS would be in big trouble in Chingford & Woodford Green.

73% of 2019 Conservative voters are loyal to the party - that's higher than in other parts of England and while R&W think it may be connected to ULEZ, I'm more of the view the Conservative vote has been progressively hollowed out - in 2019, unlike most other regions, the Conservative vote fell by 1.2% - the only Conservative seat lost to Labour in the whole of the UK was Putney.

As to ULEZ, it's morphed into a general pro-car driver protest now encompassing the Congestion Charge which has been in place for 20 years. Successive Labour and Conservative Mayors have backed the Congestion Charge and to be fair I've not heard Susan Hall say she would abolish it but she seems the sort of candidate who will jump on any bandwagon going so who knows?
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,273
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

That sounds very fine.
    George Hotel, Inveraray serves Loch Fyne kippers; as it should, being on Loch Fyne.
  • Options
    Fractured, nervy game

Ireland and the Boks both better than this?

But great French kicking
  • Options
    Leon said:

Fractured, nervy game

But great French kicking

The opening game is always nervy. Especially when big teams are playing each other.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Fractured, nervy game

But great French kicking

I'm disappointed with France.

But Ive been expecting the all blacks to win this one
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,273
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Both are valid.

I love PB!!!

I didn't get to the islands when I was there, but it is a fascinating place. I particularly liked Mount Popa, the Hill of Nats (Bhuddist Saints), including this one who should be the patron Nat of PB:

Min Kyawzwa
    I thought Malc was the patron Nat of PB.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Fractured, nervy game

But great French kicking

Until that last one !!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,358
    Scott_xP said:

Didn't we want to still be part of Horizon but they said we couldn't?
  • Options

I, for one, welcome our new arachnid overlords.
    Garden Spiders are gorgeous this time of year.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoy - Here's some data for you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Washington,_D.C.

There was a long period of decline, but then homicides began to rise again in the last two years. (Gentrification probably had more than a little to do with the decline.)
  • Options
    Leon said:

Fractured, nervy game

Hmm ireland maybe. On current form, not sure about SA
  • Options
    Leon said:

So far in the oldest-family-in-the-same-place stakes (non royal) we have the Berkeleys of Berkeley Castle, and the Eltzs of Eltz Castle

Plus maybe some Japanese hoteliers who pre-date both of them by about 500 years

It’s surprisingly hard to find an Italian family which goes back, in situ, before about 1200

My family seems to be the kind to up sticks and move somewhere completely different every generation.
  • Options

Leon said:

Fractured, nervy game

But great French kicking

The opening game is always nervy. Especially when big teams are playing each other.
    Yep - like the football World Cup

Both sides will qualify so there’s also no need for any player on either side to risk a broken spine

For me France have faded a little since last season, and the All Blacks are unusually vulnerable albeit with sparkling runners. I’d have the Boks as favourites, Ireland second, France and the ABs equal third

One of those will surely win, despite the unfair draw

• Options

Leon said:

Fractured, nervy game

Did you see the Boks against the ABs at Twickers? Formidable

They have the optimum combo of aggression and fluidity. Ireland are superbly organised. One of those two, for me…

But France might ride home advantage all the way, of course
  • Options

Leon said:

Fractured, nervy game

And you write off the French at your peril. The only team other than the All blacks who can run in 3 tries in the last 5 minutes of a game, but with more panache that the all blacks
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Fractured, nervy game

Did you see the Boks against the ABs at Twickers? Formidable

They have the optimum combo of aggression and fluidity. Ireland are superbly organised. One of those two, for me…

But France might ride home advantage all the way, of course
    It's a cliche, but it really is all to play for, in this 2023 tournament
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Representative Nancy Pelosi of California, who was the Democratic Party’s long-serving House leader and the first woman to hold the post, announced on Friday that she would seek re-election in 2024, ending months of speculation about her political future.

She is 83.

FFS.

To be fair, she's just a rank and file Congresswoman, and it's just a two year term.

BUT

Yes, she should retire.
    She should retire simply on principle. These bed blocking billionaires are a fucking disgrace

Move over, you old crone, give someone younger a go. UGH. No wonder Americans don’t bother voting, no wonder the young are utterly disengaged

Biden and Trump likewise, of course, and Mitch “Call the Mortuary” McConnell. All of them

I remember when we in the west used to scoff at China and the USSR for their dysfunctional octogenarian politburos
    You raise an interesting point re turnout - easy to forget how bad it can be.

Wiki lists two measures - voting age population % and voting eligible population %.

The former goes from lows of 49.0% to a high of 62.8% since 1932, the latter is only listed from 1980 goes from 51.7% to 66.9%.

2020 was actually the second highest on the table running from 1932, second only to 1930, and so highest on the VEP level. Thanks Trump? But historically 50s was common.

Again a bit of a contrast to here, where turnout was consistently above 70 and only dropped severely in the 2000s, being now comparable to the latest US presiedntial.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,132
    Leon said:

So far in the oldest-family-in-the-same-place stakes (non royal) we have the Berkeleys of Berkeley Castle, and the Eltzs of Eltz Castle

It’s surprisingly hard to find an Italian family which goes back, in situ, before about 1200

Penningons at Muncaster, Cumberland, since 1208.

• Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Both are valid.

Serious question

I may be in the Maldives in a couple weeks, and I’ve thought about taking the chance to go to Kerala when my assignment there is over. it is just a short hop from Male to Cochin

To be honest, there's nothing really architectural in Kerala, the neighbouring states of Karnataka and Tamil Nadu have plenty to offer there, but having said that, there a few historical sites in Kerala notable for their, er , history.

St Angelo's Fort in Kannur, built in its original form by the Portuguese as early as 1505, then taken over by the Dutch in 1663, then sold in 1772 to the native king Ali Raja, and then taken over by the British in 1790.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Angelo_Fort

In Cochin itself you have the Mattanchery Palace, again built by the Portuguese, but taken over by the Dutch and then the Brits. And a few miles away, the Paradesi Synagogue and Church of St Francis, dating from 1503, and also Portuguese in origin. It was the resting place of Vasco da Gama from his death in 1524 until 1538 (re-interred in Lisbon).

Kappad Beach near Calicut was the site of da Gama's landing in 1498. Not much there apart from a rocky promontory, but thought you might find that interesting too!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,335
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

I attended my graduation today, and shook hands with Mary Archer.

Christina Lamb and Sir Nicholas Coleridge got honorary doctorates as did (@ydoethur will be annoyed to note), Amanda Spielman.

Ahead of me was Paul Nuttal, who got a Doctorate in politics for his thesis on Alderman Salvidge, the Boss of Liverpool in the early 20th century.

Congratulations on the big day, hope you enjoyed it.

I do feel sorry for you that you had to share the stage with not only a notorious pseud and failure, but also Paul Nuttall.
    In fairness to the latter, his doctorate was earned.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,335
    Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Christina Lamb and Sir Nicholas Coleridge got honorary doctorates as did (@ydoethur will be annoyed to note), Amanda Spielman.

Ahead of me was Paul Nuttal, who got a Doctorate in politics for his thesis on Alderman Salvidge, the Boss of Liverpool in the early 20th century.

Congratulations.
    Thanks
  • Options
    carnforth said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

It was in the withdrawal agreement, and reiterated in the TCA. The EU witheld final formal association as leverage over NI. The UK was suing the EU at the ECJ over this, claiming it broke the WA.

Hardcore Remainers' attempts to growth-hack a Rejoin narrative into existence by claiming that Horizon membership is some sort of undoing of Brexit, including on PB, have been strange. It's not clear whether they don't know the above facts, or whether they do and have just spotted an opportunity.
    I cannot say I recall all the various grubby details, but if it was something we'd always wanted to remain part of, it's hardly part of some Brexit escape.
  • Options
    edited September 2023

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Both are valid.

Serious question

To be honest, there's nothing really architectural in Kerala, the neighbouring states of Karnataka and Tamil Nadu have plenty to offer there, but having said that, there a few historical sites in Kerala notable for their, er , history.

St Angelo's Fort in Kannur, built in its original form by the Portuguese as early as 1505, then taken over by the Dutch in 1663, then sold in 1772 to the native king Ali Raja, and then taken over by the British in 1790.

In Cochin itself you have the Mattanchery Palace, again built by the Portuguese, but taken over by the Dutch and then the Brits. And a few miles away, the Paradesi Synagogue and Church of St Francis, dating from 1503, and also Portuguese in origin. It was the resting place of Vasco da Gama from his death in 1524 until 1538 (re-interred in Lisbon).

Kappad Beach near Calicut was the site of da Gama's landing in 1498. Not much there apart from a rocky promontory, but thought you might find that interesting too!
    Thankyou!

In the light of what you say: Why do people rave about Kerala then? That sounds a bit disappointing TBH?

Maybe I should go to Karnataka or Tamil Nadu?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,579
    edited September 2023
    carnforth said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

It was in the withdrawal agreement, and reiterated in the TCA. The EU witheld final formal association as leverage over NI. The UK was suing the EU at the ECJ over this, claiming it broke the WA.

Hardcore Remainers' attempts to magic a Rejoin narrative into existence by claiming that Horizon membership is some sort of undoing of Brexit, including on PB, have been strange. It's not clear whether they don't know the above facts, or whether they do and have just spotted an opportunity.
    Whoever could they have learned that sort of downright cynical, dishonest behaviour from?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,971

Leon said:

My family seems to be the kind to up sticks and move somewhere completely different every generation.
    Philosophical question: what is 'my family'? If you go back 10 generations you have 1,024 ancestors (ignoring a bit of in-breeding). Which of those is 'your family'?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,332
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Congratulations on the big day, hope you enjoyed it.

I do feel sorry for you that you had to share the stage with not only a notorious pseud and failure, but also Paul Nuttall.
    In fairness to the latter, his doctorate was earned.
    It was an homage to my finest hour - a comment that OGH retweeted and caused much anger among Corbynistas.

I feel extremely sorry for the voters of Stoke on Trent Central. They are being asked to vote for a party led by a serial fanatsist and liar who appears to be unaware of where he was or what he was doing at key times, who are trying to appeal to the northern working class despite being the party of wealthy Londoners, who appear to be searching for a new role in the aftermath of Brexit, and whose leader is only in place because of a massive cock-up during the brief and inglorious tenure of some woman nobody had ever heard of leading to a massive rise in sexism and retreat to a badly defined and unworkable emotional comfort zone in the party.

And if that wasn't bad enough, the alternative is Paul Nuttall!

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/1441628#Comment_1441628
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,133
    Reports of the Ukrainian army making progress towards Donetsk (city). I hadn't realised how close to the frontline it was already.

After Crimea, Donetsk is obviously the next biggest prize for Ukraine. The challenges of taking control of a city like that are not insignificant. However they were fairly close to defeating the separatists in 2014 before Putin intervened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG5rhG1wZjQ
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Sunil hasn't posted his only two posts yet, has the bot been disabled?

Which one?

CorrectHorseBot??

:lol:

:lol:
    Trump 62m
    Clinton 65m
    Or to be more up to date:

Biden 81 million votes
    Trump 74 million votes
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,428
    dixiedean said:

carnforth said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Hardcore Remainers' attempts to magic a Rejoin narrative into existence by claiming that Horizon membership is some sort of undoing of Brexit, including on PB, have been strange. It's not clear whether they don't know the above facts, or whether they do and have just spotted an opportunity.
    Whoever could they have learned that sort of downright cynical, dishonest behaviour from?
    Someone they claim to be better than, naturally.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,044

She is 83.

FFS.

Some say that the current administration is really being run by 30-year-old staffers and the superannuated office holders have lost control.
    Some say Trump is a dangerous sociopath, who could wreak untold damage on the world.
    On his last outing he corrupted the Supreme Court and he trashed the constitution in January 2021. But you are comfortable with that and keep posting Maga s**te which p*sses most right thinking posters off.
  • Options
    God when New Zealand break they are FAST
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,463
    edited September 2023

Leon said:

There's no shortage.

From Derbyshire the Fitzherberts of Tissington Hall and the Manners of Haddon Hall - both back to 11C or so if you accept a transfer by marriage.

There is still a gap in the Monsal Trail walking / cycling route where Lord Ill-Manners refused to have a railway built on his estate iirc.

Also the Percys of Alnwick Castle, and the FitzAlans / Howards of Arundel Castle.

• Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Fractured, nervy game

But great French kicking

Both sides will qualify so there’s also no need for any player on either side to risk a broken spine

For me France have faded a little since last season, and the All Blacks are unusually vulnerable albeit with sparkling runners. I’d have the Boks as favourites, Ireland second, France and the ABs equal third

I think that's fair. Who would you put your money on, though?
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,676
    edited September 2023
    That was forward

Hard work watching two games at the same time. So humid, Edinburgh feels tense tonight.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

dixiedean said:

carnforth said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

The phrase sauce for the goose springs to mind. No point moaning now.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

Cyclefree said:

Went swimming in the Irish Sea this afternoon. The water was beautifully warm. The sun wonderful.

The dogs enjoyed it.

As did I.

Is that a small dog, but near? Or a big dog,
    far away?
    A 2 year old collie - quite small & incredibly active. Daughter's boyfriend's dog and now a part of the family.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Both are valid.

Serious question

Thankyou!

In the light of what you say: Why do people rave about Kerala then? That sounds a bit disappointing TBH?

Well, if you're into lazing on beaches and on boat in the backwaters, Kerala is definitely for you!

Seriously, if you are flying to Cochin, a day or two checking out Fort Kochi, where the aforementioned Mattanchery and St Francis Church are located, might just be worth it.
  • Options

Reports of the Ukrainian army making progress towards Donetsk (city). I hadn't realised how close to the frontline it was already.

After Crimea, Donetsk is obviously the next biggest prize for Ukraine. The challenges of taking control of a city like that are not insignificant. However they were fairly close to defeating the separatists in 2014 before Putin intervened.

Even during the height of the 2022 invasion the front near Donetsk did not seem to move much. I assume the existing Ukrainian forces were as dug in there as the Russians have attempted to be in their recently taken areas.
  • Options

The sensible thing for Crimea is to make it a Kessel - the frontal assault across the Isthmus would be horrific.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Fractured, nervy game

But great French kicking

Good question

I’d have two bets. One for the likely winners: springboks - they’re 9/2

As an outside bet I’d go (bear with me) for England. They have a fair sprinkle of talent but are devoid of confidence and they’ve got a shit coach. But on the day they might just beat anyone and they have a very favourable draw, and they tend to do well in world cups

England are 16/1
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Even during the height of the 2022 invasion the front near Donetsk did not seem to move much. I assume the existing Ukrainian forces were as dug in there as the Russians have attempted to be in their recently taken areas.
    From what I've read, Ukraine are very near Donetsk airport, where afaicr much of the heaviest fighting occurred in 2014.
  • Options
    Unlucky for France there
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Both are valid.

Serious question

Thankyou!

Well, if you're into lazing on beaches and on boat in the backwaters, Kerala is definitely for you!

Seriously, if you are flying to Cochin, a day or two checking out Fort Kochi, where the aforementioned Mattanchery and St Francis Church are located, might just be worth it.
    Beaches not really my thing (also Maldives beaches are the best anyway). I want weird deep India, spiritual India, ancient India
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Both are valid.

Serious question

Thankyou!

Beaches not really my thing (also Maldives beaches are the best anyway). I want weird deep India, spiritual India, ancient India
    Oh Lord, the heir of George Harrison is amongst us.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

carnforth said:

dixiedean said:

carnforth said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

The phrase sauce for the goose springs to mind. No point moaning now.
    Which parts of the rejoin propaganda aren't just revenge lies?
  • Options
    Allez les Blanches!
  • Options
    A French try, with panache
  • Options
    MattW said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Both are valid.

Serious question

Thankyou!

Oh Lord, the heir of George Harrison is amongst us.
    Om
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Leon said:

Ricasolis of Brolio Castle. 1141.

You should be on that one - just looked up the oldest vineyard in Italy.

https://wineandtravelitaly.com/wineries/barone-ricasoli/

France: Goulaines of Château de Goulaine.

Even older winery - and in situ for 1000 years with one short interruption.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,301
    edited September 2023

OnlyLivingBoy - Here's some data for you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Washington,_D.C.

There was a long period of decline, but then homicides began to rise again in the last two years. (Gentrification probably had more than a little to do with the decline.)

Homicides in London are still on a downward trajectory.
    73 so far this year. The population is 9 million. 6 of those 73 have been shootings.

https://www.murdermap.co.uk/victims/murders-london-2023-total-how-many/
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 11,882

Farooq said: "black-on-black crime

That seems like a weirdly specific thing to judge a politician on. Are you aware that there are competing policy goals even with the realm of crime reduction. I can't lie, I'm a little concerned at the metric you've chosen."

You may have missed my "For example:"

But I chose that example because -- if you think black lives matter, and have the courage to look at crime stats, you will almost certain conclude that the most important thing you can do to help blacks out is reduce the crimes committed against them -- mostly by other blacks. If, for example, you reduced murders of blacks down to the white level you would probably add years to black life expectancy.

When I was young, our news folks rated the importance of crimes in this decreasing order:

black criminals, white victims
    white criminals, white victims
    white criminals, black victims

black criminals, black victims

Now our news folks order is more like this:

white criminals, black victims
    white criminals, white victims

black criminals, white victims

black criminals, black victims

Both orders are racist, of course.

I think you're probably going to need to offer something quantitative on your media claims. I simply don't trust what you're saying.

I don't know whether you're White, but your claim that the media is, to the first approximation, uninterested in crimes by Black people reads a bit like deluded racial self-pity.

But what do I know? I don't consume anything more than a tiny fraction of American media. You might be right. But I won't take your word for it without something a little more robust and scientific.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Both are valid.

Serious question

I was there in Feb, so going to un-lurk to drop some travel KNOWLEDGE. Great place, surpassed my expectations.

Kuttikkanam - go mountain biking around the tea plantations. Absolutely stunning.

Periyar Tiger Reserve - just up the road, very little chance of seeing tigers but nice to see elephants in their natural habitat.

Backwaters - ruined by massive houseboats blazing music, we hired an old local guy to row us around for a day and take us down the quieter canals. Recommended.

Varkala - interesting place. Basically Indian Khao-San road filled with domestic tourists.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Fractured, nervy game

But great French kicking

Good question

As an outside bet I’d go (bear with me) for England. They have a fair sprinkle of talent but are devoid of confidence and they’ve got a shit coach. But on the day they might just beat anyone and they have a very favourable draw, and they tend to do well in world cups

England are 16/1
    Without wishing to come over all Rogerdamus I genuinely expect England to beat Argentina tomorrow, quite comfortably.
  • Options
    guybrush said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Both are valid.

Serious question

I was there in Feb, so going to un-lurk to drop some travel KNOWLEDGE. Great place, surpassed my expectations.

Kuttikkanam - go mountain biking around the tea plantations. Absolutely stunning.

Periyar Tiger Reserve - just up the road, very little chance of seeing tigers but nice to see elephants in their natural habitat.

Backwaters - ruined by massive houseboats blazing music, we hired an old local guy to row us around for a day and take us down the quieter canals. Recommended.

Varkala - interesting place. Basically Indian Khao-San road filled with domestic tourists.
    Cool. Ta
  • Options
    Not a great game

Springboks/Ireland still faves for me
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Fractured, nervy game

But great French kicking

Good question

England are 16/1
    Yeah if they have an easy run in their pools, stay injury free and their confidence and cohesiveness build, England could be in with a shot. Same for Australia and maybe Wales.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Fractured, nervy game

But great French kicking

Good question

England are 16/1
    Without wishing to come over all Rogerdamus I genuinely expect England to beat Argentina tomorrow, quite comfortably.
    Me too.
    Not sure about the "comfortably".
    But I'd be surprised if they don't win the group unbeaten. Then beat Australia or Wales.
    Then have a huge "It's coming home" wave from folk who don't know their rugby union.
    Who are then stunned by the 30+ point semi final battering.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Fractured, nervy game

But great French kicking

Good question

England are 16/1
    Me too.
    But I'd be surprised if they don't win the group unbeaten. Then beat Australia or Wales.
    Then have a huge "It's coming home" wave from folk who don't know their rugby union.
    I know nothing at all about Rugby Union but I do know that unfortunately we are not a good team at the moment.

But you never know!
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 11,882
    guybrush said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Both are valid.

Serious question

Spot on about Kuttikkanam, very good advice.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Fractured, nervy game

But great French kicking

Good question

England are 16/1
    Me too.
    I know nothing at all about Rugby Union but I do know that unfortunately we are not a good team at the moment.

But you never know!
    The key thing to remember is that rugby is going through an unusually egalitarian phase. There are 6-9 leading teams who could beat each other on a good day, especially in the fevered atmos of a World Cup

So in that light 16/1 on a team like England is generous. England are fairly shit but not that shit, in context
  • Options
    MattW said:

The sensible thing for Crimea is to make it a Kessel - the frontal assault across the Isthmus would be horrific.
    You want to make it somewhere the Millennium Falcon can run in 12 parsecs?
  • Options
    Well that may not be a try, but it was certainly stylish!
This discussion has been closed.