Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Are the SNP too wee, too poor, too stupid to fight an election? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,376
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Is Ben stokes the greatest all round cricketer ever? I’d say yes. That was certainly the best innings of Test cricket I’ve ever personally witnessed. He’s phenomenal

Most devastating all round cricketer ever? Probably
    Greatest? Not really

I guess Gary Sobers sets quite a high bar, so you might be right. I am feeling quite emosh

Stokes is the most exciting player I’ve ever seen. That is for sure
    Jack Kallis enters the chat....better Test averages, better ODI averages....far more runs, far more wickets in both forms of the game.

He wasn't so much an all-rounder in the sense of well he can bat quite well and bowl quite well, he was a genuine elite batter, while at the same time first change fast bowler for SA and could have been picked for that alone...and on top of all of that, he managed to keep that up until 37 years of age.

The way the game has fragmented, I doubt we will see a player ever do what Kallis did again.
    I doubt any of us will see the likes of Stokes again, either

Top ten all time cricketer, for sure. Not just batsman or bowler or all rounder. Just "cricketer"

We have been lucky to witness it - even luckier that he's playing for England!

I saw Botham in his prime and Stokes is even more entertaining, talismanic and exhilarating
    I am sure at the time of Botham, people said they would never see that again. Then we had Flintoff and now Stokes. Stokes raw numbers aren't that impressive, it is the heroics at crucial times. The special superman powers he has in those special moments.

The game obviously has changed, I would also argue that Botham faced better bowling attacks in test cricket. The West Indies and Australia attacks were as fast if not faster than anything today, on shittier pitches and yet Botham's batting average is only a couple of runs less than Stokes and he was a much better bowler.

Nobody these days has an attack of 90+ mph x 4, who went flat out game in, game out, which is what West Indies had, on super juicy pitches. The modern pitches on the whole are much slower and less unpredictable.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well.

Suella Braverman’s rhetoric about child sexual abuse and grooming gangs has cost her the support of an influential Conservative backer, Steve Baker, in a sign her hardline approach to culture war issues could hamper her chances of becoming Tory leader.

Baker, a Tory MP on the Brexiter right of the party, who is now a Northern Ireland minister, was Braverman’s de facto campaign manager when she stood to succeed Boris Johnson as Conservative leader and prime minister last summer.

While Braverman, now the home secretary, was eliminated in the second round of MPs’ voting, her candidacy was seen as a marker for a possible future contest, one likely if the Conservatives lose the next general election.

However, it is understood Baker has decided he would not back Braverman again because of serious concerns over the way she has approached the issue of so-called grooming gangs.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jul/02/steve-baker-withdraws-support-for-suella-braverman-over-grooming-gangs-rhetoric-says-ally

As Baker will almost certainly lose his marginal Wycombe seat to Labour at the general election I doubt Suella cares.

By the time she likely runs for Tory Leader of the Opposition, Baker will be a very ex MP and not even able to vote in the MP rounds
    And that sums up you and the whole sorry story of the right and Johnson as your hero

You are actually celebrating the career end of a conservative mp

Shame on you, and go and join RefUK as that is where you and the ERG truly belong
    More than one of your posts of late have celebrated what you believe will be the end of various Tory MPs' careers. Perhaps you should take some of the shame you seem so keen to dish out.
    Sadly because of Johnson and your beloved Truss conservative mps across the land are facing a career ending election

The conservative party will only obtain office by moving to the centre ground (one nation conservatives) and marginalising those who have brought it into shame and disrepute
    Thatcher won from the right three times, as did Boris on Brexit at least in 2019. On the other side Attlee won for Labour from the left twice. The centre ground isn't the only electable option 100% of the time, even if it is most of the time
    Thatcher was closer to the centre than Michael Foot. The Clown was closer to the centre than Mr. Thicky.
    Thatcher wasn't closer to the centre than Callaghan in 1979 though and arguably not closer to the centre than Kinnock either in 1987.
    By the current Johnsonian/Trussian iteration of the Conservative Party, Thatcher (of whom I was never a fan) would be considered a raging Trot.

Thatcher would have baulked at the idea of Braverman, 30p Lee or Jonathan Gullis anywhere near the levers of Government.
    Nothing wrong with Braverman. I think Thatcher would have quite liked her. A decade earning her wings and she'll be ready for middling office. (Braverman's presumption is astonishing)
    I suspect she would have been more alarmed by the rise of such a lightweight as Braverman. She probably would have considered Anderson and Gullis to be wholly unserious politicians worthy only of contempt.
    Mrs Thatcher would not have had Suella Braverman in her Cabinet for the simple reason she did not promote women. Baroness Young as Leader of the House of Lords was the only (other) woman in the Cabinet in her decade in office, so far as I can see from:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ministers_under_Margaret_Thatcher
    This list backs that up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_female_cabinet_members_of_the_United_Kingdom
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,004

Leon said:

Is Ben stokes the greatest all round cricketer ever? I’d say yes. That was certainly the best innings of Test cricket I’ve ever personally witnessed. He’s phenomenal

Cricketing all-rounders who have become Prime Minister: Alec Douglas-Home; Imran Khan. Any others? CB Fry was reputedly offered the Albanian throne but he did not bowl.
    I’m sure Trump would tell you that he’s a fabulous all rounder if you asked him.

I never did like the Fifth Doctor. Though Peri on the other hand...
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,865
    edited July 2023

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Greatest? Not really

I guess Gary Sobers sets quite a high bar, so you might be right. I am feeling quite emosh

Jack Kallis enters the chat....better Test averages, better ODI averages....far more runs, far more wickets in both forms of the game.

He wasn't so much an all-rounder in the sense of well he can bat quite well and bowl quite well, he was a genuine elite batter, while at the same time first change fast bowler for SA and could have been picked for that alone...and on top of all of that, he managed to keep that up until 37 years of age.

The way the game has fragmented, I doubt we will see a player ever do what Kallis did again.

Top ten all time cricketer, for sure. Not just batsman or bowler or all rounder. Just "cricketer"

I saw Botham in his prime and Stokes is even more entertaining, talismanic and exhilarating
    I am sure at the time of Botham, people said they would never see that again. Then we had Flintoff and now Stokes. Stokes raw numbers aren't that impressive, it is the heroics at crucial times. The special superman powers he has in those special moments.

The game obviously has changed, I would also argue that Botham faced better bowling attacks in test cricket. The West Indies and Australia attacks were as fast if not faster than anything today, on shittier pitches and yet Botham's batting average is only a couple of runs less than Stokes and he was a much better bowler.

Nobody these days has an attack of 90+ mph x 4, who went flat out game in, game out, which is what West Indies had.
    But Stokes DOES those special moments

Like, today, when he smashed that massive six, going from 82, to 88, and then he hit another, immedately after, going to 94, and the whole ground drew breath and all we could think was, like: surely not, surely he can't do this, a third consecutive six to get to the hundred?

And this in the last day of an Ashes match at Lords?

And yet, that's what he did. The third six = a century

At his best he does these cartoon superhero feats, which leave you stupefied, and the stats don't quite capture that. I'd actually be interested to know how many test cricketers have ever reached 100 with 3 consecutive sixes. Possibly never done before in an Ashes series?

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Greatest? Not really

Nobody these days has an attack of 90+ mph x 4, who went flat out game in, game out, which is what West Indies had.

Like, today, when he that massive six, going from 82, to 88, and then he hit another, immedately after, going to 94, and the whole ground drew breath and all we could think was, like: surely not, surely he can't do this, a third consecutive six to get to the hundred?

At his best he does these cartoon superhero feats, which leave you stupefied, and the stats don't quite capture that. I'd actually be interested to know how many test cricketers have ever reached 100 with 3 consecutive sixes. Possibly never done before in an Ashes series?

The 6 hitting is where the game as changed. The pitches allow it more, the bowlers allow for it more and because of T20, they train religiously for it.

Sky did two great segments, one with Flintoff and Buttler and another with Pietersen and Livingstone. Flintoff is a giant of a man compared to Buttler and he was blown away by just how far Buttler could out hit him and the same with Pietersen (a giant brick shithouse and still in great shape), Livingstone could hit miles further.

Both Buttler and Livingstone said the same thing, we train for this specifically and the technique you were taught on how to bat is totally wrong if you want to hit it miles.

The downside is if the red ball is moving about, their technique is suss as hell.

Another thing Stokes mentioned was this years ball, 30 overs is soft as pudding. Last year they had a problem with it falling apart, this years one is stop moving about really quickly and goes soft, so primed for launching.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,235
    "France riots: Mayor's wife hurt after attack on their home - BBC News"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9G6Q41TWQQ
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,891

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well.

Suella Braverman’s rhetoric about child sexual abuse and grooming gangs has cost her the support of an influential Conservative backer, Steve Baker, in a sign her hardline approach to culture war issues could hamper her chances of becoming Tory leader.

Baker, a Tory MP on the Brexiter right of the party, who is now a Northern Ireland minister, was Braverman’s de facto campaign manager when she stood to succeed Boris Johnson as Conservative leader and prime minister last summer.

While Braverman, now the home secretary, was eliminated in the second round of MPs’ voting, her candidacy was seen as a marker for a possible future contest, one likely if the Conservatives lose the next general election.

However, it is understood Baker has decided he would not back Braverman again because of serious concerns over the way she has approached the issue of so-called grooming gangs.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jul/02/steve-baker-withdraws-support-for-suella-braverman-over-grooming-gangs-rhetoric-says-ally

As Baker will almost certainly lose his marginal Wycombe seat to Labour at the general election I doubt Suella cares.

By the time she likely runs for Tory Leader of the Opposition, Baker will be a very ex MP and not even able to vote in the MP rounds
    And that sums up you and the whole sorry story of the right and Johnson as your hero

Shame on you, and go and join RefUK as that is where you and the ERG truly belong
    I first heard this said by a Labour member in the 1990s, but I'm sure the gag is older than that;

We can't chuck all the nutters out, there would be nobody left.
    As I said early this morning the conservative party are in a grave position as they tear themselves apart and the country looks on in anger

The way to win elections is in the centre ground which Starmer and Reeves have claimed , while Johnson and his disciples lack of self awareness is unbelievable and frankly they are hiding in the conservative party and destroying from within like a Trojan horse when their true allegiance is with RefUK and Farage

Post GE24 if the right have their way and the disgraceful Braverman is anywhere near power, than I am political homeless as are many millions of other one nation conservatives
    I am sure you could vote for Starmer as you did for Blair twice if Sunak loses the next election and a more rightwing Tory becomes leader
    I most certainly will not vote for your RefUk light party, and for our country's sake I hope that common sense, decency, integrity and honesty are reestablished in time in the conservative party and you and the ERG are marginalised as per Corbyn in labour
    The wets will entirely own the coming defeat.

I look forward to the next proper Tory government; when it happens it won't contain the likes of Rishi and Hunt, I suspect.
    How so?

The Conservatives are in the mess they find themselves in because of Truss and Kwarteng's absurd budget which was lauded by all the moon howlers as the first truly Conservative budget in living memory.

Sunak and Hunt have done a stunning job considering what Truss left them with.
    Piss off. The mini budget was masterful compared to the economic vandalism meted out by Sunak/Hunt since. The more grounded Sunak fans now acknowledge as much, and (rightly) bemoan Kwarteng/Truss's presentation of the budget not its content.
    I have to say, Liz Truss' incompetence is mind blowing. She managed to blow up the economy and her premiership within the shelf life of a lettuce. At least Sunak has outlasted the lettuce.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,638
    You know, I don't think Ben Foakes would have got out like that.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,088
    Quincel said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well.

More than one of your posts of late have celebrated what you believe will be the end of various Tory MPs' careers. Perhaps you should take some of the shame you seem so keen to dish out.
    Sadly because of Johnson and your beloved Truss conservative mps across the land are facing a career ending election

The conservative party will only obtain office by moving to the centre ground (one nation conservatives) and marginalising those who have brought it into shame and disrepute
    Thatcher won from the right three times, as did Boris on Brexit at least in 2019. On the other side Attlee won for Labour from the left twice. The centre ground isn't the only electable option 100% of the time, even if it is most of the time
    Thatcher was closer to the centre than Michael Foot. The Clown was closer to the centre than Mr. Thicky.
    Thatcher wasn't closer to the centre than Callaghan in 1979 though and arguably not closer to the centre than Kinnock either in 1987.
    By the current Johnsonian/Trussian iteration of the Conservative Party, Thatcher (of whom I was never a fan) would be considered a raging Trot.

Thatcher would have baulked at the idea of Braverman, 30p Lee or Jonathan Gullis anywhere near the levers of Government.
    Nothing wrong with Braverman. I think Thatcher would have quite liked her. A decade earning her wings and she'll be ready for middling office. (Braverman's presumption is astonishing)
    I suspect she would have been more alarmed by the rise of such a lightweight as Braverman. She probably would have considered Anderson and Gullis to be wholly unserious politicians worthy only of contempt.
    Mrs Thatcher would not have had Suella Braverman in her Cabinet for the simple reason she did not promote women. Baroness Young as Leader of the House of Lords was the only (other) woman in the Cabinet in her decade in office, so far as I can see from:
    This list backs that up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_female_cabinet_members_of_the_United_Kingdom
    While this is true, it is also true that about a dozen other Tory MPs were women, versus around 350 men.
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855

Sunak should honour these three members.

The MCC have suspended 3 members pending an investigation after the incident in the Long Room earlier.

https://twitter.com/GeorgeDobell1/status/1675574324563005441

Just watched it - a bit of booing, a bit of applauding and then a couple of Aussies square up to some grey-haired old duffers in oat-coloured jackets. All rather silly.
    The posho "It was because of all the proles" case falls apart a bit when the only people getting their collars felt are MCC members.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,687
    edited July 2023

kyf_100 said:

Chris said:

A marvellous story from the BBC illustrating the maxim "Social media make an ass of you and me":
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66081242

A silly spat that originated with someone posting a picture of Tina Turner and her ex-husband. Someone else implying that meant they thought domestic violence was OK, and the first person concluding that the second person's comment reflected a contemptuous attitude to black and Asian people who didn't share her political views.

Both of them should have something better to do with their time.

Too many tweets make a

(your daily view count has been exceeded, please pay $8 to continue scrolling).

I knew Musk was mad, but I didn't think he was stupid. The average twitter user will scroll six hundred or whatever posts in half an hour (skipping over 95% of them). Never seen someone so intent on Ratnering their own brand.
    I don’t think it’s intentional. He wants to stop paying large amounts of money for Google infrastructure but doesn’t have a way to replace it yet.
    If you don't want to pay large amounts of money for tech infrastructure, maybe don't operate a large tech firm.
    Apparently this is the core of Elon Musk's plan to cut costs on the necessary networking infrastructure.

https://hackaday.com/2022/11/28/nabu-pc-a-1984-z-80-computer-you-can-buy-today/
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,741
    EPG said:

Quincel said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well.

This list backs that up.

While this is true, it is also true that about a dozen other Tory MPs were women, versus around 350 men.
    Yes but John Major found space round the Cabinet table for Virginia Bottomley and Gillian Shephard.
  • Options
    Incidentally, a couple of things following up earlier comments:

1) Eek said that I would confirm the reason everyone is taught to the test is because the curriculum is overstuffed. It is, but even if it wasn't, the fact that passing exams is prized more highly in our system than knowing the subject would tend to militate against anything other than test cramming.

2) Somebody said we should keep SATs because we need standardised baseline data. I never saw any SATs results as a teacher in a secondary school. Not sure whether that was true for English and Maths, but I think it was. This is because they aren't actually very good at measuring ability - again, they tend to teach how well you've been taught to pass tests. For baseline assessments secondary schools use a variety of cognitive tests which they have to set, and pay for, themselves - Midyis is the one I've used most often, but I've also used the Fisher Family Trust in the past too.

SATs are primary school answers to GCSEs - used to assess school performance against the DfE's expectations, not really useful to the education of children.

That might not matter if the DfE had the slightest understanding of what makes up good education, but they don't.

I would add that Wales' decision to bring back 'National Tests' after scrapping SATs was barmy.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,348
    I think I'll safely file that under 'things are aren't going to happen'.
  • Options

EPG said:

Quincel said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well.

This list backs that up.

Yes but John Major found space round the Cabinet table for Virginia Bottomley and Gillian Shephard.
    And he served a Currie.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 846
    Ukranians report "Russians advancing on four fronts". Could be ominous news
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,088

EPG said:

Quincel said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well.

This list backs that up.

Certainly. But by then, the number of Tory women had roughly doubled, and after then 1992 losses the number of Tory men had dipped. Also, Major was certainly more a person who cared about other people's perceptions and feelings than Thatcher.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,305

kyf_100 said:

Chris said:

A marvellous story from the BBC illustrating the maxim "Social media make an ass of you and me":
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66081242

A silly spat that originated with someone posting a picture of Tina Turner and her ex-husband. Someone else implying that meant they thought domestic violence was OK, and the first person concluding that the second person's comment reflected a contemptuous attitude to black and Asian people who didn't share her political views.

Both of them should have something better to do with their time.

Too many tweets make a

(your daily view count has been exceeded, please pay $8 to continue scrolling).

I knew Musk was mad, but I didn't think he was stupid. The average twitter user will scroll six hundred or whatever posts in half an hour (skipping over 95% of them). Never seen someone so intent on Ratnering their own brand.
    I don’t think it’s intentional. He wants to stop paying large amounts of money for Google infrastructure but doesn’t have a way to replace it yet.
    If you don't want to pay large amounts of money for tech infrastructure, maybe don't operate a large tech firm.
    He probably think he can do it himself.
    Tesla, for example, is investing huge amounts in computing infrastructure.

But like everything else Musk has ever done, it will be delivered late.
    Less than optimal for this business.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,646

Joe Biden will pay a two day visit to the UK before the NATO summit.

Meeting President Sunak, presumably.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,182

OT - Thing that's puzzling me re: the abject paucity of SNP fundraising since the Queen Fish took her dive into the deep end of the pool, and never came up:

So SNP does NOT have setup, to get small donors to cough up say £20 every month via automatic credit/debit card deductions?

Certainly the party would seem to have a pretty sizable, er, pool of potential donors at this non-fatcat level?

OR is this NOT something done by UK political parties, for legal or other re be made publicasons?

Pretty much ubiquitous in US. Also infamous re: with some politicos & etc, for example #45.

The SNP will charge its members a membership fee, and it will certainly encourage people to donate by standing order. The donation totals in this case are, I think, of donations above the reporting threshold - which I think is £2,000 - above which the identity of the donor has to be made public.

So they will have a bit more than £4,000.
    My understanding. The SNP isn't so enamoured of multimillionaires and foreign donors as the other parties, on the whole.
  • Options
    theakes said:

Four fronts?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,992

MattW said:

Hmmm. Parking at Richmond Bridge. Apparently a regular occurrence.

Attended by EIGHT fire engines. And a fire boat.

Do they, or their insurance company get sent an invoice? If they hit a lamp post their insurance would pay.

They really should put some bollards in there to stop the twats parking there.

Had the numbskulls trying to camp on the rowing club boat ramp on Saturday. They actually got upset when we marched the boats down the ramp - ‘cause of the layout, taking an eight down does a nice sweep of the morons…
    Surprisingly it doesn't seem to be a BMW or an Audi. or a Landrover.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,966

The MCC have suspended 3 members pending an investigation after the incident in the Long Room earlier.

Just watched it - a bit of booing, a bit of applauding and then a couple of Aussies square up to some grey-haired old duffers in oat-coloured jackets. All rather silly.
    Indeed. But I hope Leon and his two pals get their suspension rescinded soon.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,687

theakes said:

Four fronts?
    Reportedly, Avdiivka, Marinka, Lyman and Svatove/Kreminna.

I think it might be more accurate to say that the Russian have attempted to advance on these fronts. They're all areas that the Russians have attacked repeatedly for many months without making much progress.
  • Options
    agingjb2agingjb2 Posts: 88

agingjb2 said:

Presumably Bairstow believed the ball to be dead when he left his ground? Did the wicket keeper think that Bairstow believed the ball to be dead?

The replay I saw seemed to show Carey throwing it almost immediately after he caught it, didn’t seem much think about it.
    So "finally settling in the wicket keeper's hands" had not happened. There is no doubt that Bairstow was correctly given out.

Spirit of cricket? Barely present in an Ashes test, but purists might question whether or what the (rather inattentive) Bairstow was trying to accomplish by moving down the pitch - certainly not stealing a run.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,774
    LOL.

• Options
    edited July 2023

LOL.

That is a miss of Ronny Rosenthal proportions....its not like it is hard to find genuinely shocking scenes of violence and destruction from the past few days in France if you are wanting to push a certain narrative.
  • Options
    agingjb2 said:

agingjb2 said:

Presumably Bairstow believed the ball to be dead when he left his ground? Did the wicket keeper think that Bairstow believed the ball to be dead?

The replay I saw seemed to show Carey throwing it almost immediately after he caught it, didn’t seem much think about it.
    So "finally settling in the wicket keeper's hands" had not happened. There is no doubt that Bairstow was correctly given out.

Spirit of cricket? Barely present in an Ashes test, but purists might question whether or what the (rather inattentive) Bairstow was trying to accomplish by moving down the pitch - certainly not stealing a run.

Steve Harmison tried to run out a batsman once by throwing the ball which he had fielded off his own bowling, very hard straight at the batsman to make him jump in the air so he would be 'out' of crease at the moment the stumps were splatted.

It failed, because the batsman kept his bat on the ground. But I remember many commentators lauded him for showing such initiative.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,348
    edited July 2023
    agingjb2 said:

agingjb2 said:

It was out under the letter of the law. But surely the stumping rule was introduced so that the batsmen can't get the advantage of going down the pitch to a delivery without incurring some risk; it wasn't intended to allow a sneaky a dismissal when the batman wrongly thought the over had been called.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,544

Eadric and Byronic perhaps.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,236

LOL.

Is that one of those tweet things?
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Do they, or their insurance company get sent an invoice? If they hit a lamp post their insurance would pay.

Had the numbskulls trying to camp on the rowing club boat ramp on Saturday. They actually got upset when we marched the boats down the ramp - ‘cause of the layout, taking an eight down does a nice sweep of the morons…
    Looks like school-run parking to me. Dropping a kid off at Richmond-under-the-bridge School?
  • Options

Looking forward to seeing flares up bottoms on the Long Room balcony. The rot set in today and it can't be long now. Wonder if it's possible to buy flares which emit smoke in MCC colours?
  • Options

MattW said:

MattW said:

Looks like school-run parking to me. Dropping a kid off at Richmond-under-the-bridge School?
    The pub at Bosham is another good place. You'd think the drivers might be suspicious when they see the self-acting scupper flaps on the adjacent garden walls.

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.8284815,-0.8579255,3a,75y,288.56h,81.52t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sTMM4Sfsjupa2nePaQnym_A!2e0!5s20090601T000000!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Looking forward to seeing flares up bottoms on the Long Room balcony. The rot set in today and it can't be long now. Wonder if it's possible to buy flares which emit smoke in MCC colours?
    There was a Scottish guy behind us, in the Compton stand, who was a wild England supporter

I've encountered these Scots before. Passionately pro-England

I guess it must be a dilemma. Support a Scotland team that will never win anything or go anywhere, or support England as "the British" team and then see some real glory

I have a good Welsh friend who loudly supports England at cricket, which is obviously more acceptable (it is the England and Wales cricket board, and there is no "Wales" team) however it is still feels a little jarring, when he loathes England at rugby
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

There was a Scottish guy behind us, in the Compton stand, who was a wild England supporter

I guess it must be a dilemma. Support a Scotland team that will never win anything or go anywhere, or support England as "the British" team and then see some real glory

I have a good Welsh friend who loudly supports England at cricket, which is obviously more acceptable (it is the England and Wales cricket board, and there is no "Wales" team) however it is still feels a little jarring, when he loathes England at rugby
    Those folk have obviously not grasped the true essence of detachment from worldly concerns which following the Scotland football team induces, as does coarse fishing and the making of models of HMS Victory true in every rope. It's not as if the England [edit] cricket team won anything this weekend, in contrast to the Scotland team.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

The pub at Bosham is another good place. You'd think the drivers might be suspicious when they see the self-acting scupper flaps on the adjacent garden walls.

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.8284815,-0.8579255,3a,75y,288.56h,81.52t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sTMM4Sfsjupa2nePaQnym_A!2e0!5s20090601T000000!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu
    We were at Blakeney this week:

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.9560285,1.0176037,3a,75y,2.85h,87.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sk9pNPmXIABRunxxCFDBTmA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu

At least they give you a warning:

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556

MattW said:

People have been parking there and getting their cars flooded as long as I can remember. I think the locals quite enjoy the spectacle. A lot of people don't realise that the Thames is tidal all the way to Teddington Lock.
  • Options
    "Alien" is on ITV4. It's 44 years old. It looks like it was filmed yesterday. Given the proliferation of color correction and bad CGI in modern films, it looks better than if it was filmed yesterday.

John Hurt has just spotted something moving in an egg. The petals have just opened. I wonder what happens ne[transmission interrupted]
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Those folk have obviously not grasped the true essence of detachment from worldly concerns which following the Scotland football team induces, as does coarse fishing and the making of models of HMS Victory true in every rope. It's not as if the England [edit] cricket team won anything this weekend, in contrast to the Scotland team.
    So it is the same as the footbal? Fervently ignore ACTUAL WORLD CUPS WON BY ENGLAND

I genuinely feel sympathy, and it is also insightful of Nat thinking. The inferiority complex is basically written into the DNA of the UK. and is unavoidable: England will always be better at everything (simply by being bigger, richer, older and nobler) the only way to cope is to break up the Union, however self harming it is, or consistently shout "turnip" like MalcolmG
  • Options
    viewcode said:

"Alien" is on ITV4. It's 44 years old. It looks like it was filmed yesterday. Given the proliferation of color correction and bad CGI in modern films, it looks better than if it was filmed yesterday.

John Hurt has just spotted something moving in an egg. The petals have just opened. I wonder what happens ne[transmission interrupted]

Thanks to Ridley Scott: the director of Alien

He apparently did about 3,459 retakes of one scene in his first movie, the Duellists, so he could aesthetically capture the sun flashing off one of the pistols
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,969
    glw said:

MattW said:

People have been parking there and getting their cars flooded as long as I can remember. I think the locals quite enjoy the spectacle. A lot of people don't realise that the Thames is tidal all the way to Teddington Lock.
    White Swan, Riverside, Twickenham is fun for visitors who haven’t seen a tidal river.

For those who haven’t been there - the beer garden floods pretty much every tide. People sit on tables and get table service by staff in wellies.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,700
    viewcode said:

Amazing film. The atmosphere set is remarkable.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Better than endless bloody cricket.

No, it's not
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,074
    edited July 2023
    Today is the midpoint day.
    Day 183 of 365.
    We are closer to 2024 now as to 2022.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,969

viewcode said:

Amazing film. The atmosphere set is remarkable.
    Don’t eat the soup

https://youtu.be/otJ2rXMuLno
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

(Photo taken ca. 2 hours ago.)

We had a beautiful moon again in Cannock yesterday, but lacking a camera of (I think) @Richard_Tyndall 's quality I couldn't do it justice in a photo.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,107
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

So it is the same as the footbal? Fervently ignore ACTUAL WORLD CUPS WON BY ENGLAND

I genuinely feel sympathy, and it is also insightful of Nat thinking. The inferiority complex is basically written into the DNA of the UK. and is unavoidable: England will always be better at everything (simply by being bigger, richer, older and nobler) the only way to cope is to break up the Union, however self harming it is, or consistently shout "turnip" like MalcolmG
    Or you don't really suffer any of this. There was a cricket team in my home town made up of farming locals, so it's not completely unknown. My instinct is always to get involved with stuff that other people are excited by, so I watched the last few overs (?) of the cricket today and didn't really get it. There was one game a while back where the ball randomly bounced off a bat and went for a 4? That was cool.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,267
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

No, it's not
    Yes it is.

The only advantage of you all boring on about it is that about 10 threads can be digested in 2 minutes and lots of time is freed up.

• Options
    viewcode said:

Switch over to ITV1 at 10:15.

They are showing Die Hard at the correct time of the year.

Later on this month is the 35th anniversary of the release of Die Hard.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Or you don't really suffer any of this. There was a cricket team in my home town made up of farming locals, so it's not completely unknown. My instinct is always to get involved with stuff that other people are excited by, so I watched the last few overs (?) of the cricket today and didn't really get it. There was one game a while back where the ball randomly bounced off a bat and went for a 4? That was cool.
    Yes, of course, of course

Cricket? Overs? What are they? Oh yes, just a thing. A 4? What's that?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,992
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Greatest? Not really

Like, today, when he smashed that massive six, going from 82, to 88, and then he hit another, immedately after, going to 94, and the whole ground drew breath and all we could think was, like: surely not, surely he can't do this, a third consecutive six to get to the hundred?

If you check the list of most sixes in a test innings, Stokes has 4 entries out of the top 40.

No one else has more than 2.

So fairly exceptional.
  • Options

glw said:

MattW said:

White Swan, Riverside, Twickenham is fun for visitors who haven’t seen a tidal river.

For those who haven’t been there - the beer garden floods pretty much every tide. People sit on tables and get table service by staff in wellies.
    I've seen that many times.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,107
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Yes, of course, of course

Cricket? Overs? What are they? Oh yes, just a thing. A 4? What's that?
    I genuinely have no idea haha. Why would I? Have to look it up on wikipedia.
  • Options
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

He apparently did about 3,459 retakes of one scene in his first movie, the Duellists, so he could aesthetically capture the sun flashing off one of the pistols
    I watched The Duellists recently and thought it was very good.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,782

glw said:

MattW said:

Counterintuitively it's White Cross, not White Swan. The usual lament from unexpectedly ex-motorists is "I wasn't expecting a spring tide in mid-summer".
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,267
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

We had a beautiful moon again in Cannock yesterday, but lacking a camera of (I think) @Richard_Tyndall 's quality I couldn't do it justice in a photo.
    There was the start of a double rainbow but I was not quick enough to catch it.

The light today has been terrific: it has been alternately sunny, windy and rainy and all is now quiet. Also there have been lots of birds coming to the garden to feed and the blue tits seem to be particularly interested in our eaves (nesting again?).
  • Options
    Absolutely ridiculously lame, simplistic, Woke reporting on the French riots on BBC

Jeez :old skool media is fucked
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Cricket sure beats cars going round and round the same bit of road for 2 hours before the guy in the fastest car wins.

Cricket's still the most boring "sport" in the world.
  • Options
    Lol.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

Absolutely ridiculously lame, simplistic, Woke reporting on the French riots on BBC

The regular media was pretty hopeless reporting the attempted coup in Russia. Hamstrung by not having reporters on the ground, and being unwilling to report stuff from social media without confirming it in some other way. They were hours behind what was being said on Twitter, Reddit etc.

When something big is happening RIGHT NOW, does anyone even bother turning the TV on anymore?
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

Are they still calling them "protesters" ? Of the mostly peaceful variety?
  • Options

viewcode said:

It's still a Christmas film, according to the movie's screenwriter Stephen E. De Souza.

https://www.indiewire.com/features/general/die-hard-christmas-movie-screenwriter-steven-e-de-souza-1201911181/
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,544

viewcode said:

Is it Christmas already?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Cricket sure beats cars going round and round the same bit of road for 2 hours before the guy in the fastest car wins.

Cricket's still the most boring "sport" in the world.
    The cricket 'authorities' obviously agree with you because they're trying to make it as short as possible.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

I'm sure it must be exactly the same moon one can see in Ilford...
  • Options
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

Bonkers movie, but in a good way.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Is it Christmas already?
    It is in NZ:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cm58xd09jpeo
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

What inferiority?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

No, it's not
    Yes it is.

The only advantage of you all boring on about it is that about 10 threads can be digested in 2 minutes and lots of time is freed up.

Cricket is a bit like mathematics.

https://www.quantamagazine.org/recounting-the-history-of-maths-transcendental-numbers-20230627/
    … as the mathematician Edward Titchmarsh said of the irrationality of π, it may be of no practical use to know that these numbers are transcendental, but if we can know, it surely would be intolerable not to know...
  • Options
    edited July 2023

viewcode said:

Coincidentally, that's about the time it bursts from Hurt's chest... :)

• Options

viewcode said:

It's still a Christmas film, according to the movie's screenwriter Stephen E. De Souza.

https://www.indiewire.com/features/general/die-hard-christmas-movie-screenwriter-steven-e-de-souza-1201911181/
    And I describe myself as a modest working class guy.

Doesn’t make it true.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,839
    glw said:

Leon said:

The regular media was pretty hopeless reporting the attempted coup in Russia. Hamstrung by not having reporters on the ground, and being unwilling to report stuff from social media without confirming it in some other way. They were hours behind what was being said on Twitter, Reddit etc.

When something big is happening RIGHT NOW, does anyone even bother turning the TV on anymore?
    You're saying this as if it's a bad thing.
    Reporting what some prat writes on Twitter as fact would quickly lead to whatever trust they have among the public evaporating.

Social media is for breathless reportage of what might be happening. Proper media is for more sensible reporting of something that did happen.

If broadcast media is resisting reporting anonymous speculation as fact, good.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Is it Christmas already?
    Oh, the weather outside is frightful...
  • Options

viewcode said:

Doesn’t make it true.
    Erm, He's the actual screenwriter of Die Hard, you're just some random guy on the internet.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Doesn’t make it true.
    It...it's not true???? ☹️
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jul/02/boil-in-the-bag-environmentally-friendly-funerals-arrive-in-uk-resomation-acquamation

Basically making soap and pouring down the drain. *Resolves never to drink recycled London water again*
  • Options
    Farooq said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Reporting what some prat writes on Twitter as fact would quickly lead to whatever trust they have among the public evaporating.

Social media is for breathless reportage of what might be happening. Proper media is for more sensible reporting of something that did happen.

"Proper media is for more sensible reporting of something that did happen."

But they don't do that either. They are just pitifully slow, and when they do report, it is with lazy bias and a lack of nous
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

What inferiority?
    Aww, bless
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

10:22 Harry Dean Stanton has gone to look for the cat. Water drips onto his face. He looks up...
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

glw said:

Leon said:

But they don't do that either. They are just pitifully slow, and when they do report, it is with lazy bias and a lack of nous
    They do a way better job of it than @jeff53662868 does.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

10:22 Harry Dean Stanton has gone to look for the cat. Water drips onto his face. He looks up...
    Right!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Exactly, they sit in this awkward middle ground of being neither quick enough to tell you what is happening now, or slow enough to dispense with immediacy and take a considered view after the fact.

It's really a very difficult problem for news channels and news shows. Probably they should spend less on news, and more on documentaries.

I honestly think news reporting was a lot better when there was less of it, and the main news show was late in the day, and often bookended with current affairs documentaries.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

viewcode said:

Doesn’t make it true.
    Have you got something you want to share with us about your 'guy' status?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jul/02/boil-in-the-bag-environmentally-friendly-funerals-arrive-in-uk-resomation-acquamation

Basically making soap and pouring down the drain. *Resolves never to drink recycled London water again*

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Is that, er, recycled water?
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,084
    Any Scottish independence referendum should give Orkney and the Shetlands an escape clause.
  • Options
    glw said:

Leon said:

Exactly, they sit in this awkward middle ground of being neither quick enough to tell you what is happening now, or slow enough to dispense with immediacy and take a considered view after the fact.

It's really a very difficult problem for news channels and news shows. Probably they should spend less on news, and more on documentaries.

I honestly think news reporting was a lot better when there was less of it, and the main news show was late in the day, and often bookended with current affairs documentaries.
    Yes, I entirely agree

Their job in reporting "news" in the moment is over. Social media does it so much faster. albeit with flaws. But nothing can match its instant speed

Legacy news needs to move to slower and considered analysis, or indeed political polemics (which should be allowed on all sides in a healthy polity)
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Is that, er, recycled water?
    Joke about overstrength lager I was reminded of in light of Fucker Carlson and that fucker Tate:

What's the difference between overstrength lager and cat's piss?

One is mostly made from dead mice, tastes revolting and would not be drunk by anyone sane.

The other comes from cats.
  • Options
    Looks like the French Riots are deinitely not "over"

Lyon burns as we speak
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

10:33 Tom Skerritt enters the duct. Veronica Cartwright tracks him with a machine and they all listen in. Beep-beep, beep-beep. She gets confused and panicky. Beep-beep. He gets disorientated. Beep-beep. He turns around...
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Any Scottish independence referendum should give Orkney and the Shetlands an escape clause.
    As in, escape to Norway?
  • Options

As in, escape to Norway?
    Yesway
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,431
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

What inferiority?
    I believe superiority involves finding validation for one's flabby, pot bellied existence in the performance of superfit young sportsmen whom one couldn't possibly hope to match, even in one's prime.
    For some folk anyway.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,084

As in, escape to Norway?
    Many in Scotland complained of being dragged out of the EU against their will. Likewise, the people of O&S should not be dragged out of the UK against their will, should Scotland vote for independence. In that eventuality, they should be given the option to stay in the UK or to chart another path separate to the rest of Scotland.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,431

As in, escape to Norway?
    Many in Scotland complained of being dragged out of the EU against their will. Likewise, the people of O&S should not be dragged out of the UK against their will, should Scotland vote for independence. In that eventuality, they should be given the option to stay in the UK or to chart another path separate to the rest of Scotland.
    Who's going to be doing the giving?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,074
    edited July 2023

As in, escape to Norway?
    Or. Alternatively. Live the high life as a tax haven for laundered money.
  • Options
    Leon said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Yes, I entirely agree

Their job in reporting "news" in the moment is over. Social media does it so much faster. albeit with flaws. But nothing can match its instant speed

Legacy news needs to move to slower and considered analysis, or indeed political polemics (which should be allowed on all sides in a healthy polity)
    I think you're underplaying the "flaws". Last week I heard the Putin was in St Petersburg, Putin was fleeing east, Putin was in a bunker, Putin had been detained, Putin was dead.
    I heard Lukashenko was in Turkey, in Moscow, was also dead, was now taking over a new Russia-Belorussian union.
    I heard it was a coup, a revolution, a trap, a feint, an insurrection, a fiction, a CIA plot. I heard Wagner were already in Moscow and that they hadn't even left Rostov. I heard the Wagner column was bombed, was attacked by civilians, was cheered by civilians, and, again for emphasis, didn't exist.

That's not "flaws". That's epistemological anarchy.
This discussion has been closed.