Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The public support Boris Johnson – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,085
    WillG said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Ghedebrav said:

Scott_xP said:

@MattChorley
    Oh this is excellent from @ShippersUnbound’s read:

It’s all a plot to stop Brexit orchestrated by… Dominic Cummings 🤪

We’ve been Brexed brutally. It couldn’t have been much harder. And it is final.

Is he really going to stand on a ‘save Brexit’ platform?
    A bit like Farage with his "Brexit has Failed".

All part of the "stab in the back" myth that Johnson wants to nurture in his wilderness years.
    Brexit has failed - Farage stabbed the country, though not in the back.
    We fell for his bullshit.
    Brexit is setting the stage well. We now have a good deal with the EU, CPTPP membership, and a US-UK FTA is on the cards. Our main problem is debt, worsened considerably by COVID, and brought into light by the mad Truss budget. In addition, the electorate need to use the tools Brexit has given them to end low skilled immigration.
    Hahaha
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,882
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jun/10/uk-weather-thunderstorm-warnings-across-country-as-temperatures-soar

Video of a guardsman after fainting. The band keeps playing and none of the people near him help. This country is fucking weird sick.

I think that would happen in any self-respecting military in the world. Military personnel can’t just stop what they’re doing (having been specifically ordered to do it) whatever the circumstances
    Not when you're doing something of vital importance, maybe.

But they're playing trombones.
    That’s not the way it works. Soldiers can’t judge for yourself themselves if a lawful order is of vital importance and prioritise accordingly. That’s what military discipline is all about. That’s true in all armies, at least the ones that function properly, not just the British one. I’m no soldier but being on parade, which is what they were doing, I understand has a role in promoting that discipline so military types may say it is of vital importance. Saying they’re not helping just because they’re from this specific country is plain wrong.
    Most countries don't put people out in the hot sunshine wearing enormous fur hats though!
    I find it hard to believe many countries do not have soldiers in inappropriate gear in hot weather.

That's not to say it may not be a problem, but it seems a poor case to do a 'woe is the UK' about.
    Which ones? I remember seen Greek ones but that were furry bobbles on the toes... funny but not mad. I've tried googling a few other countries and I don't see much in the way of giant furry hats. It's insane. It's literally mad. We are a mad country.
    You are an arse or the worst order.

A list of the other countries that use bearskin caps, including Canada, Sweden, Sri Lanka (notably chilly there) and Belgium, is at the below link -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bearskin

You are the reason why the left in the U.K. gets nowhere. You think that insulting the country is the best way of winning votes.
    I resent that.

Not the "arse" thing, that's fair game. No, it's the accusation that criticising this country is the province of the left. I'm a dyed in the bearskin wool liberal. Not left or right, centre. Centre liberal. With a penchant for needling at British shibboleths. If you want to use me as evidence that you shouldn't vote for left-wing parties good. I don't want you to vote for leftist parties.

And Doug. Mate. Cheer up. It's a lovely warm evening. Have a bear beer. But don't get dehydrated, eh lad?
    You are about as centrist as Corbyn
    That's what it must look like from you, because you're a Falangist
    I know. He thinks I'm a raving lefty when I'm as cuddly a centrist dad as one can get.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,758

HYUFD said:

Selby I think could be a Conservative hold, bigger Labour vote in 2019 than so Shropshire North and Mid Bedfordshire and smaller LD vote there so local Labour Party will likely fight it in a proper contest and not hand it to the LDs. Thus splitting the anti Conservative vote

I can’t see the LibDems making an effort in Selby and Ainsty. It’s not their demographic at all - Selby is quite working class and surprisingly run down for a market town with an abbey. I agree it’ll probably be a Conservative hold, but Labour have an outside chance.

Incidentally here’s the origin of the “Ainsty” bit:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ainsty
    Selby was a Labour seat from 1997 to 2010.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,115
    How Selby & Ainsty would vote if an election was held today -- Britain Predicts

CON: 40.5% (-19.8)
    LAB: 38.5% (+13.9)
    https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1667515900537307136?s=20
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    IanB2 said:

WillG said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Ghedebrav said:

Scott_xP said:

@MattChorley

All part of the "stab in the back" myth that Johnson wants to nurture in his wilderness years.
    Brexit is setting the stage well. We now have a good deal with the EU, CPTPP membership, and a US-UK FTA is on the cards. Our main problem is debt, worsened considerably by COVID, and brought into light by the mad Truss budget. In addition, the electorate need to use the tools Brexit has given them to end low skilled immigration.
    "'tis but a flesh wound!"
    The Eurozone is currently in recession, unlike the UK. The economic impact of Brexit has been much more marginal than its opponents claimed it would be.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    HYUFD said:

How Selby & Ainsty would vote if an election was held today -- Britain Predicts

CON: 40.5% (-19.8)
    LAB: 38.5% (+13.9)
    https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1667515900537307136?s=20

That's going to be too close for Con to hold in an actual kick-the-government by-election.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,764

HYUFD said:

Selby I think could be a Conservative hold, bigger Labour vote in 2019 than so Shropshire North and Mid Bedfordshire and smaller LD vote there so local Labour Party will likely fight it in a proper contest and not hand it to the LDs. Thus splitting the anti Conservative vote

I can’t see the LibDems making an effort in Selby and Ainsty. It’s not their demographic at all - Selby is quite working class and surprisingly run down for a market town with an abbey. I agree it’ll probably be a Conservative hold, but Labour have an outside chance.

On very different boundaries.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954
    edited June 2023
    I was watching the first episode of Yes Minister earlier, actually one of the episodes I remember less well than others.

Notable to me that Hacker is said to have increased his majority, yet also only had a majority of a few thousand, so no wonder he was always so nervous. He apparently ran the leadership campaign against the incoming PM, so was uncertain what post he might get - so him then getting the top job just a few years later was quite the coup. And a journalist comment says he's a bit on the young side for a Cabinet post (he had been shadow minister for agriculture), whilst also saying he is in his late 40s. Different times I guess.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jun/10/uk-weather-thunderstorm-warnings-across-country-as-temperatures-soar

Video of a guardsman after fainting. The band keeps playing and none of the people near him help. This country is fucking weird sick.

I think that would happen in any self-respecting military in the world. Military personnel can’t just stop what they’re doing (having been specifically ordered to do it) whatever the circumstances

That’s not the way it works. Soldiers can’t judge for yourself themselves if a lawful order is of vital importance and prioritise accordingly. That’s what military discipline is all about. That’s true in all armies, at least the ones that function properly, not just the British one. I’m no soldier but being on parade, which is what they were doing, I understand has a role in promoting that discipline so military types may say it is of vital importance. Saying they’re not helping just because they’re from this specific country is plain wrong.
    Most countries don't put people out in the hot sunshine wearing enormous fur hats though!
    I find it hard to believe many countries do not have soldiers in inappropriate gear in hot weather.

That's not to say it may not be a problem, but it seems a poor case to do a 'woe is the UK' about.
    Which ones? I remember seen Greek ones but that were furry bobbles on the toes... funny but not mad. I've tried googling a few other countries and I don't see much in the way of giant furry hats. It's insane. It's literally mad. We are a mad country.

A list of the other countries that use bearskin caps, including Canada, Sweden, Sri Lanka (notably chilly there) and Belgium, is at the below link -

You are the reason why the left in the U.K. gets nowhere. You think that insulting the country is the best way of winning votes.
    I resent that.

Not the "arse" thing, that's fair game. No, it's the accusation that criticising this country is the province of the left. I'm a dyed in the bearskin wool liberal. Not left or right, centre. Centre liberal. With a penchant for needling at British shibboleths. If you want to use me as evidence that you shouldn't vote for left-wing parties good. I don't want you to vote for leftist parties.

And Doug. Mate. Cheer up. It's a lovely warm evening. Have a bear beer. But don't get dehydrated, eh lad?
    I know. He thinks I'm a raving lefty when I'm as cuddly a centrist dad as one can get.
    He sometimes gets in these fierce rows with other Conservatives about how unconservative they are.

And he's the one who voted for Plaid Cymru :lol:
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

I resent that.

Everyone's a leftie from HY's perspective.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,041
    WillG said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Ghedebrav said:

Scott_xP said:

@MattChorley

What the fuck have you been drinking you halfwit!! Its only 8pm too!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,897
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

I resent that.

That might be true it might not, but it is still true that the right criticise the country as well. Rees-Mogg is a complete radicalist rather than a traditionalist for example, who wants to adopt an explicitly presidential PM system. Just one of many examples.

The ever moaning leftist strand of this sort of thing is true and annoying, but they are not alone.
    Peter Hitchens is a right winger who hates his own country, and there are plenty online.

For some, it’s the gays. A country which tolerates them is a degenerate hellhole, which ought to be destroyed.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

I resent that.

That might be true it might not, but it is still true that the right criticise the country as well. Rees-Mogg is a complete radicalist rather than a traditionalist for example, who wants to adopt an explicitly presidential PM system. Just one of many examples.

The ever moaning leftist strand of this sort of thing is true and annoying, but they are not alone.
    What is the UK known for globally? The BBC. The Tories hate it. The NHS. Some of the Tories hate it. Our universities. The Tories hate them (except for the Oxford Union and Bullingdon Club). The monarchy. The Tories suspect the new King is too woke, and look what Truss did to the Queen.

Tories love Camilla though and Princess Anne and Prince Edward, they quite like Exeter and Durham and St Andrews universities (and the poshest Oxford colleges like Trinity, Cambridge and Magdalen and Christ Church, Oxford which are less woke). Female Tories even like the BBC for the Archers
  • Options

IanB2 said:

WillG said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Ghedebrav said:

Scott_xP said:

@MattChorley

The Eurozone is currently in recession, unlike the UK. The economic impact of Brexit has been much more marginal than its opponents claimed it would be.
    The economic arguments are trivial either way.

Political disputes are framed in economic terms.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

I resent that.

What is the UK known for globally? The BBC. The Tories hate it. The NHS. Some of the Tories hate it. Our universities. The Tories hate them (except for the Oxford Union and Bullingdon Club). The monarchy. The Tories suspect the new King is too woke, and look what Truss did to the Queen.

Tories love Camilla though and Princess Anne
    Should've gone to Specsavers :lol:
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,771

IanB2 said:

WillG said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Ghedebrav said:

Scott_xP said:

@MattChorley

Only because Q4 GDP was adjusted to -0.1%. Could happen here too when the final figures come in.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

I resent that.

Tories love Camilla though and Princess Anne and Prince Edward, they quite like Exeter and Durham and St Andrews universities (and the poshest Oxford colleges like Trinity, Cambridge and Magdalen and Christ Church, Oxford which are less woke). Female Tories even like the BBC for the Archers
    The point being there are bits of the country they like and bits they don't like, as with Labour - both want to improve things. And their most extreme members are utter whackjobs who hate some pretty widely regarded aspects of Britain.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,917
    edited June 2023
    Error
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,537
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

I resent that.

Probably all true.

But, that's a very large slice of the country that true Tories don't like. And that's a problem if they aspire to win elections.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995

HYUFD said:

And. Importantly. A totally different demographic in the non-Selby bits.
    Southern part of York including University then.
    Prosperous commuter villages around Harrogate now.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

I resent that.

The point being there are bits of the country they like and bits they don't like, as with Labour - both want to improve things. And their most extreme members are utter whackjobs who hate some pretty widely regarded aspects of Britain.
    Right wing voters, I think, are hugely sympathetic to the armed forces and British military history.

In fact, eminent military historians are disproportionately British and American, because on the continent, there is real academic hostility towards the discipline, these days.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,776
    National Security Implications of Trump’s Indictment: A Damage Assessment
    https://www.justsecurity.org/86887/national-security-implications-of-trumps-indictment-a-damage-assessment/

• Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    Mid Beds by election.

Councillor Gareth Mackey, deputy leader of the independent group who took control of the council last month will be an Independent candidate in the by election. The council does not exactly correspond to the parliamentary constituency, but the independent group spectacularly overthrew the Conservatives who ran it prior to May.

Gareth Mackey is a longstanding councillor in Flitwick, the largest town in Mid Beds. He has started a Go Fund Me appeal for support to fund his campaign which already has a significant number of contributors.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 796
    It's nice to see the back of both Boris and Corbyn once and for all.

They both represented the worst of their parties and, hopefully, the absolute nature of their demise (along with the Truss cameo) will see a return to more sensible politics of the left/right well beyond the next election.
  • Options
    franklyn said:

Mid Beds by election.

Councillor Gareth Mackey, deputy leader of the independent group who took control of the council last month will be an Independent candidate in the by election. The council does not exactly correspond to the parliamentary constituency, but the independent group spectacularly overthrew the Conservatives who ran it prior to May.

Gareth Mackey is a longstanding councillor in Flitwick, the largest town in Mid Beds. He has started a Go Fund Me appeal for support to fund his campaign which already has a significant number of contributors.

Could split the anti Tory vote if he takes some voters who would otherwise have gone LD
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    Any more of the Bozo Brigade going to throw themselves from a metaphorical third floor window?
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,458
    Cicero said:

Cicero said:

Rumours of a major Ukrainian breakout. Just hope they are true.

Hey @Cicero I've a few relatives going to Tallinn early August do you know of any places they really should go?
    How long are they around for?
    I think about 4 days and then to a cabin in the woods.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Ratters said:

They both represented the worst of their parties and, hopefully, the absolute nature of their demise (along with the Truss cameo) will see a return to more sensible politics of the left/right well beyond the next election.

Both Boris and Corbyn enthused their right and leftwing bases though in a way Rishi and Sir Keir can't. Now Rishi and Sir Keir may be more competent as PM and potential PM but Boris and Jezza were much the better campaigners.

The best leaders like Blair and Cameron do both, inspiring campaigners and speakers on their day but also competent enough to be trusted to run the country as PM
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    ManC 1-0 Inter
  • Options
    Labour and LibDems should stand aside in Selby to give the Yorkshire Party a clear run.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    Cicero said:

Different sources reporting Russian second line breaches along several axes. Again, not confirmation, but positive noises coming from Kyiv.

Do you have a location?

If true - which is a big if - that clearly would be good news.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    This week's Opinium poll for @ObserverUK . Labour lead takes a stumble to 12 points. Con: 29% (+1) Lab: 41% (-2) Lib Dem: 11% (+1) SNP: 3% (n/c) Plaid Cymru: 1% (n/c) Green: 7% (n/c) Reform UK: 6% (n/c) Other: 2% (-1)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Cicero said:

Different sources reporting Russian second line breaches along several axes. Again, not confirmation, but positive noises coming from Kyiv.

Their third line is about to come under some horrific HIMARS shelling.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    Sunak’s net approval drops to the lowest it’s been during his premiership.

46% disapprove, while 26% approve – leaving a net approval of -20%.

--

Starmer’s approval also dips this week, as 35% disapprove and 28% approve. He has a net approval of -7%.

This is the lowest approval for the Leader of the Opposition since October 2022.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,974
    Man City fans are, as a group, spectacularly unattractive. Did they all have very tough paper rounds followed by a massive inbreeding culture. If Rishi wants to win the next election he needs to do something about our English football crowds being such a bad advert for the UK.
  • Options

This week's Opinium poll for @ObserverUK . Labour lead takes a stumble to 12 points. Con: 29% (+1) Lab: 41% (-2) Lib Dem: 11% (+1) SNP: 3% (n/c) Plaid Cymru: 1% (n/c) Green: 7% (n/c) Reform UK: 6% (n/c) Other: 2% (-1)

Soon be both main parties in the 30's....
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,131
    The best evidence yet that BoZo's career is terminal

Frosty The NoMan has written in the Telegraph about how BoZo's career is not over...
  • Options
    biggles said:

I think qualifying PB contributors should be tagged with “I supported Boris”.

Only BartyBobbins is open about it, so far as I can tell.

Oh I’m very happy to tell you I was then, and remain now, incredibly grateful for him forcing Brexit through. I take the long view on anything else he did or didn’t do, as anything can be tweaked by future Governments now. I also think he was useful when Ukraine happened in stopping us hesitating.
    Precisely.

The worst thing about politics is how too many people take a "my side right or wrong" attitude and then act like their side is perfect and flawless, and the other side is wretched and has no merit.

No leader is perfect. No leader as Blair claimed to be is "whiter than white". All leaders have a mixed legacy in the end.

That applies to Boris as much if not more than most. He's done some very, very good things to which I'm grateful he was PM for - including resolving the Brexit dilemma that May was stuck on, and I don't think Hunt could have handled, getting Covid vaccines organised ahead of the curve, and perhaps most importantly the full-throated support for Ukraine.

And he's done some very, very bad things to which its right he's gone for. I'm sure every reader can think of something.

A mix of black and white, shades of grey, if you're still allowed to use those colour analogies and its not politically incorrect. Not totally bad, not totally good. Like all PMs in the end.

And considering the alternative was Jeremy Corbyn - I'll never regret having voted for him.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

I resent that.

Peter Hitchens is a right winger who hates his own country, and there are plenty online.

For some, it’s the gays. A country which tolerates them is a degenerate hellhole, which ought to be destroyed.
    As I said the other week if you want to understand Peter read the first 2 chapters of his brother Christopher's memoir Hitch 22. One chapter on each parent. His WW2 hero father was let go by the Navy with a feeble pension, look askance as the Empire collapsed and in his final years threatened to never vote Tory again if they built the channel tunnel.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Cicero said:

Fingers crossed
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Scott_xP said:

The best evidence yet that BoZo's career is terminal

Frosty The NoMan has written in the Telegraph about how BoZo's career is not over...

Funnily enough, I just replied to that tweet he made with a similar observation. If Frost is saying its not over, it pretty much is
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,538
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

I resent that.

For me, it’s the Trans Gay Woke Illegal Immigrant Alien AIs. They are everywhere!
  • Options
    Felony counts against ex-presidents:

Washington - 0
    Adams - 0
    Jefferson - 0
    Madison - 0
    Monroe - 0

Kennedy - 0
    LBJ - 0
    Nixon - 0*
    Ford - 0
    Carter - 0
    Reagan - 0
    Bush Sr - 0
    Clinton - 0
    Dubya - 0
    Obama - 0
    Trump - 71

https://twitter.com/TristanSnell/status/1667329943997390848
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389
    edited June 2023
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

And. Importantly. A totally different demographic in the non-Selby bits.
    Southern part of York including University then.
    Prosperous commuter villages around Harrogate now.
    I notice that the boundary changes will remove Ainsty from Selby, leading to a much more labour profile. I wonder if that's the true reason he cut and ran.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 796
    HYUFD said:

Ratters said:

Both Boris and Corbyn enthused their right and leftwing bases though in a way Rishi and Sir Keir can't. Now Rishi and Sir Keir may be more competent as PM and potential PM but Boris and Jezza were much the better campaigners.

The best leaders like Blair and Cameron do both, inspiring campaigners and speakers on their day but also competent enough to be trusted to run the country as PM
    Sure, a leader that can inspire and govern is the best of both worlds. But given the paucity of candidates for that in either party, I'd prefer a semblance of competence in governing from whichever party wins an election.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Farooq said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

I resent that.

Well it comes down to needing to define what you mean again. Blood semantics.

To state my position, I'm
    - economically centrist (private business, capitalism, social safety net, keep a lid on generational inequality, reward innovation and risk taking),
    - socially extremely liberal (let people do what the fuck they like as long as they aren't hurting anyone, actively punish discrimination that constrains opportunities or controls people, do not offer state incentives or disincentives for people to live in particular ways)
    - constitutionally radical (abolish the monarchy, bring in PR, throw the Lords out onto the kerb, devolve and pool powers away from Westminster to regions/nations/EU, open to Scottish independence)
    - dispositionally anti-authoritarian (dislike of surveillance, defending the right to protest and strike, suspicious of coercive power structures like political parties, faiths, political trade unions, wealthy political donors, enforced patriotism)

I get called a lefty I think because of that constitutional radicalism, and to be fair there are elements in there that fit comfortably with the left. But that's only because elements of the left fit well with the abolition of meaningless hierarchies. And the sense that some fucking idiot like Jacob Rees Mogg can be considered "better" than anyone on here is numbingly offensive. It makes me sick to see people tug their forelock when confronted with a plummy voice and a well-cut suit.

But this same trait fits pretty badly with leftism as well. I don't want stuff nationalised just for the sake of it because government is worse than the market for getting people what they want. In all cases where a market can operate freely, which is almost all economic life, give people the space to operate freely. Yes, state power sits atop all that because that's the pathway to check overweaning power of very big businesses and cartels, but as long as businesses aren't taking the piss, leave them alone.

Ultimately politics is about what government should do and government should be about maximising freedom with a special focus on keeping the weak and voiceless free.

I honestly can't think of a better way to describe all the above other than liberalism. Yes, not all liberals will agree with my constitutional radicalism but it's all with a means to an end, to free up unnecessary restrictions on who can become what.
    There's always been a tension between my constitutional radicalism and conservatism for its own sake. But there's always been a tension between leftism and my belief in economic freedom. So I'm not a conservative, and I'm not a leftist.

And I'm so sorry for typing so much about me me me but I get frustrated when I see people not understanding a thing when it seems so clear to me. The world isn't just divided into left or conservative and the lack of ability of some people to see in anything other than red v blue.. it blisters me.
    Most of what you support from your list above Corbyn would also have happily supported, minor differences you are constitutionally even more radical than him on some things but economically a shade more capitalist than him on a few things so my point stands
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,252

Cicero said:

Cicero said:

Hey @Cicero I've a few relatives going to Tallinn early August do you know of any places they really should go?
    Tallinn only or Tartu , Pärnu or Saaremaa as well?
  • Options

My dad's gone. Faded out with mum and my brother and me there with him telling stories of his part glories. He fought a good battle these last few weeks, and you can't ask for any more than that.

My dad was in his nineties, and had dementia when he died. It still hurt.
    Sincere condolences.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

I resent that.

- economically centrist (private business, capitalism, social safety net, keep a lid on generational inequality, reward innovation and risk taking),
    - socially extremely liberal (let people do what the fuck they like as long as they aren't hurting anyone, actively punish discrimination that constrains opportunities or controls people, do not offer state incentives or disincentives for people to live in particular ways)
    - constitutionally radical (abolish the monarchy, bring in PR, throw the Lords out onto the kerb, devolve and pool powers away from Westminster to regions/nations/EU, open to Scottish independence)
    - dispositionally anti-authoritarian (dislike of surveillance, defending the right to protest and strike, suspicious of coercive power structures like political parties, faiths, political trade unions, wealthy political donors, enforced patriotism)

I get called a lefty I think because of that constitutional radicalism, and to be fair there are elements in there that fit comfortably with the left. But that's only because elements of the left fit well with the abolition of meaningless hierarchies. And the sense that some fucking idiot like Jacob Rees Mogg can be considered "better" than anyone on here is numbingly offensive. It makes me sick to see people tug their forelock when confronted with a plummy voice and a well-cut suit.

But this same trait fits pretty badly with leftism as well. I don't want stuff nationalised just for the sake of it because government is worse than the market for getting people what they want. In all cases where a market can operate freely, which is almost all economic life, give people the space to operate freely. Yes, state power sits atop all that because that's the pathway to check overweaning power of very big businesses and cartels, but as long as businesses aren't taking the piss, leave them alone.

Ultimately politics is about what government should do and government should be about maximising freedom with a special focus on keeping the weak and voiceless free.

I honestly can't think of a better way to describe all the above other than liberalism. Yes, not all liberals will agree with my constitutional radicalism but it's all with a means to an end, to free up unnecessary restrictions on who can become what.
    There's always been a tension between my constitutional radicalism and conservatism for its own sake. But there's always been a tension between leftism and my belief in economic freedom. So I'm not a conservative, and I'm not a leftist.

And I'm so sorry for typing so much about me me me but I get frustrated when I see people not understanding a thing when it seems so clear to me. The world isn't just divided into left or conservative and the lack of ability of some people to see in anything other than red v blue.. it blisters me.
    Most of what you support from your list above Corbyn would also have happily supported, so my point stands
    Yes, that well known defender of free-market capitalism Jeremy Corbyn :trollface:

And I'm sorry to have to make this explicit, but yes, I do agree with some things Corbyn said. Doesn't mean I'd ever want to vote for the odious little twerp, but if you can't find something to pick out of almost every political tradition that you're completely lost from the real world.
  • Options

My dad's gone. Faded out with mum and my brother and me there with him telling stories of his part glories. He fought a good battle these last few weeks, and you can't ask for any more than that.

I'm very sorry. A terrible loss but he's a part of all those he's left behind. Cherish his memory and he's not really gone.
  • Options
    jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 647

Been there. Know how it feels. So sorry. Keep the good memories
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

I resent that.

Most of what you support from your list above Corbyn would also have happily supported, so my point stands
    Yes, that well known defender of free-market capitalism Jeremy Corbyn :trollface:

And I'm sorry to have to make this explicit, but yes, I do agree with some things Corbyn said. Doesn't mean I'd ever want to vote for the odious little twerp, but if you can't find something to pick out of almost every political tradition that you're completely lost from the real world.
    'social safety net, keep a lid on generational inequality,' is hardly pure free market capitalism now is it!

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,312
    Nigelb said:

Felony counts against ex-presidents:

Washington - 0
    Adams - 0
    Jefferson - 0
    Madison - 0
    Monroe - 0

Kennedy - 0
    LBJ - 0
    Nixon - 0*
    Ford - 0
    Carter - 0
    Reagan - 0
    Bush Sr - 0
    Clinton - 0
    Dubya - 0
    Obama - 0
    Trump - 71

https://twitter.com/TristanSnell/status/1667329943997390848

And counting ...
  • Options
    Trebles all round....
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,771

Best wishes
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377

Sorry to hear of your loss. My condolences .
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,355

My deepest sympathy to you and your family

It will be a great comfort that you and your family were with him when he passed
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

I resent that.

'social safety net, keep a lid on generational inequality,' is hardly pure free market capitalism now is it!

See, the problem there is the word "pure". Purity is the most dangerous political idea, and it's always the one you're obsessed with. I'm not just comfortable with, but actively proud of my political impurity.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited June 2023
    Very off topic -

Today I went to visit my mother in hospital.

She’s in a female only ward. I am, as you’ve probably guessed, male.

The lady in the bed opposite my mum is a Muslim lady who wears a full face Niqab and clearly values her privacy (curtains drawn whenever a nurse/doctor/family visit). Up until today, she’s a never said anything, or been part of the ward gossip thingy my mum and the other ladies have got going on. I respectfully ignore her, in the way that a male (anyone?) does in this situation.

Anyway, she clearly overheard my conversations with my mum and, for whatever reason, decided to randomly help me solve my mums problems as they come up. She’s getting involved in the ward gossip, too.

It’s the first time I’ve ever meaningfully interacted with a woman in a full face veil.

Small steps towards integration, perhaps?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883

biggles said:

Oh I’m very happy to tell you I was then, and remain now, incredibly grateful for him forcing Brexit through. I take the long view on anything else he did or didn’t do, as anything can be tweaked by future Governments now. I also think he was useful when Ukraine happened in stopping us hesitating.
    Precisely.

The worst thing about politics is how too many people take a "my side right or wrong" attitude and then act like their side is perfect and flawless, and the other side is wretched and has no merit.

No leader is perfect. No leader as Blair claimed to be is "whiter than white". All leaders have a mixed legacy in the end.

That applies to Boris as much if not more than most. He's done some very, very good things to which I'm grateful he was PM for - including resolving the Brexit dilemma that May was stuck on, and I don't think Hunt could have handled, getting Covid vaccines organised ahead of the curve, and perhaps most importantly the full-throated support for Ukraine.

And he's done some very, very bad things to which its right he's gone for. I'm sure every reader can think of something.

A mix of black and white, shades of grey, if you're still allowed to use those colour analogies and its not politically incorrect. Not totally bad, not totally good. Like all PMs in the end.

And considering the alternative was Jeremy Corbyn - I'll never regret having voted for him.
    I think Boris's paradox was having worked for two decades to reach the top of the Conservative Party, become Prime Minister and get his own substantial mandate, it all turned to dust in his hands.

MacMillan might have been brought down by two tarts, Johnson was felled by a microscopic virus.

Yes, his support for Zelenskyy and Ukraine in the first days after the Russian invasion was vital and he deserves credit for that and thanks to his 2019 election victory, he cut the Gordian Knot of Brexit but in the end those who enthused for him ended up turning on him.

I welcome your new objectivity - I look forward to some positive comments on Labour and Liberal Democrat policy and a kind word or two for Starmer and Davey.
  • Options

Condolences
  • Options
    Condolences to you and your family, RP.
  • Options
    Best of luck to @RochdalePioneers.
    Remember to look after yourself. You can't look after others if you don't.
    All the very, very best.
  • Options
    Bill Cash to stand down as MP for Stone
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,252

Sympathies to you and your family.
  • Options
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Selby and Ainsty is exactly their demographic.

1) You're thinking of it solely in terms of Selby. The constituency covers a number of prosperous areas with a combination of agricultural, green, tech and traditional industries at its heart.
    2) There is money in the constituency - around Harrogate and Knaresborough, the western side of York, the towns and villages of the southern reaches.
    3) Selby is not working class. It's far from run down. I know - I was there on Thursday morning.
    4) Huge commuter community - from the constituency it's easy to be in the centres of Leeds or York within 15 minutes, Doncaster and Hull within 30 minutes and Sheffield within 45 minutes.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,429
    edited June 2023

Sympathies. Happened to me recently. It’s never what you expect: for me it was much less painful than I anticipated. For others it is much worse. Good luck
  • Options

My condolences, sorry for your loss. Best wishes for your whole family in these tough times.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,498

Yes, sorry to hear that Rochdale. There isn't a good way to die - but it sounds like you were there to give him one of the less-bad ones.
    Touched you shared the moment with it. I shall raise a glass to Rochdale Senior before bedtime tonight.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Talking of brutal battles. I’m here. Where more Americans died in a day than anywhere else on earth - I believe

• Options
    Cookie said:

Yes, sorry to hear that Rochdale. There isn't a good way to die - but it sounds like you were there to give him one of the less-bad ones.
    Touched you shared the moment with it. I shall raise a glass to Rochdale Senior before bedtime tonight.
    *with us*
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Not surprising
  • Options

HYUFD said:

1) You're thinking of it solely in terms of Selby. The constituency covers a number of prosperous areas with a combination of agricultural, green, tech and traditional industries at its heart.
    2) There is money in the constituency - around Harrogate and Knaresborough, the western side of York, the towns and villages of the southern reaches.
    3) Selby is not working class. It's far from run down. I know - I was there on Thursday morning.
    4) Huge commuter community - from the constituency it's easy to be in the centres of Leeds or York within 15 minutes, Doncaster and Hull within 30 minutes and Sheffield within 45 minutes.
    Centre of Leeds in 15 minutes?

That's either at 3am or commuting by helicopter!
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,503

Thinking of you and your family.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,458
    edited June 2023
    Cicero said:

Cicero said:

Cicero said:

Tallinn only or Tartu , Pärnu or Saaremaa as well?
    Ooh I'd have to ask to be sure from my poor memory* they are in Estonia about 8 days. Fly to the capital and pick up a car. Flat in the city for 4 days and then some place in the woods for about as long.

*I do think they were visiting an island near Tallinn for a day too.

• Options
    Antietam is quiet and sombre and haunting. Not like other battlefields. More like a bad World War 1 battlefield. I guess they were similar

• Options
    stodge said:

biggles said:

Precisely.

I think Boris's paradox was having worked for two decades to reach the top of the Conservative Party, become Prime Minister and get his own substantial mandate, it all turned to dust in his hands.

MacMillan might have been brought down by two tarts, Johnson was felled by a microscopic virus.

Yes, his support for Zelenskyy and Ukraine in the first days after the Russian invasion was vital and he deserves credit for that and thanks to his 2019 election victory, he cut the Gordian Knot of Brexit but in the end those who enthused for him ended up turning on him.

I welcome your new objectivity - I look forward to some positive comments on Labour and Liberal Democrat policy and a kind word or two for Starmer and Davey.
    Davey - He was good on not being totally obsessed with lockdown, not taking the opportunism of being more pro-lockdown than the Government when the media were talking up nothing but risk, and for highlighting the civil liberties issues towards the end. Some sparks of true liberalism and I respect that.

Starmer - Seems to have grasped that housing is one of the biggest issues facing this country, that NIMBYism is a too easy thing to go for, and that having had our levels of population growth we need many more homes in this country and the only places they can realistically go is on greenfield land because there is no alternative.

There you go.
  • Options
    @christopherhope
    8s
    EXCLUSIVE in the Sunday Telegraph
    MPs on Commons privileges committee consider sanctions against Boris Johnson's supporters behind 'kangaroo court' attacks on 'partygate' inquiry.
    Johnson allies say it is a 'McCarthyite purge'.

@christopherhope
    7s
    Members of the committee believe the remarks of some critical MPs amount to contempt of Parliament and want action.
    Possible sanctions range from an addendum to its partygate report criticising the MPs to a censure motion and divisive vote in the Commons.
    2/3

@christopherhope
    38s
    The move would risk more Tory MP resignations, with supporters of Mr Johnson pledging an all-out revolt if Conservative whips fail to block such a scheme.
    One Government source said: “This is an attempt to purge Johnson supporters from the party. It is McCarthyism.” 3/3

BRING IT ON !!!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

biggles said:

Precisely.

Utter drivel. He was appalling on every measure. Pure poison.
    No he wasn't. You're letting your subjective dislike of him run away with you. He certainly wasn't appalling on every measure. No one is.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

biggles said:

Precisely.

Utter drivel. He was appalling on every measure. Pure poison.
    So his support for Ukraine was appalling?

Or are you perhaps exaggerating and doing exactly what I just said.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    stodge said:

biggles said:

Precisely.

Macmillan wasn't brought down by "two tarts" as you crudely put it.
    He was brought down by men he appointed to the most senior and sensitive roles, who couldn't think except with their genitals.
  • Options
    Keir Starmer tells Rishi Sunak to 'get a backbone' and call a general election NOW

Keir Starmer said people have had enough of the 'farce' of Tory rule and want a general election now. He also accused Rishi Sunak of losing control as the Conservatives descend into civil war

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/keir-starmer-tells-rishi-sunak-30204258
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@christopherhope
    8s
    EXCLUSIVE in the Sunday Telegraph
    MPs on Commons privileges committee consider sanctions against Boris Johnson's supporters behind 'kangaroo court' attacks on 'partygate' inquiry.
    Johnson allies say it is a 'McCarthyite purge'.

@christopherhope
    7s
    Members of the committee believe the remarks of some critical MPs amount to contempt of Parliament and want action.
    Possible sanctions range from an addendum to its partygate report criticising the MPs to a censure motion and divisive vote in the Commons.
    2/3

@christopherhope
    38s
    The move would risk more Tory MP resignations, with supporters of Mr Johnson pledging an all-out revolt if Conservative whips fail to block such a scheme.
    One Government source said: “This is an attempt to purge Johnson supporters from the party. It is McCarthyism.” 3/3

BRING IT ON !!!

We don't often agree but Johnson and his sycophants need marginalising
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,251
    Leon said:

Antietam is quiet and sombre and haunting. Not like other battlefields. More like a bad World War 1 battlefield. I guess they were similar

Indeed all the hallmarks of WW1 battles were present in the US civil war, machine guns, artilliary, trenches, the lot.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Keir Starmer tells Rishi Sunak to 'get a backbone' and call a general election NOW

Keir Starmer said people have had enough of the 'farce' of Tory rule and want a general election now. He also accused Rishi Sunak of losing control as the Conservatives descend into civil war

Problem is he wont
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,503
    Scott_xP said:

Except, they're not descending into civil war, are they?

Three of four diehards have left in a strop.

Everyone else is either breathing a sigh of relief or laughing at them.
  • Options
    Crispin Odey to leave the asset management firm he founded
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65866895
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

stodge said:

biggles said:

Precisely.

Macmillan wasn't brought down by "two tarts" as you crudely put it.
    He was brought down by men he appointed to the most senior and sensitive roles, who couldn't think except with their genitals.
    He was brought down in part because they lived in a different time where what people did with their genitals mattered.

Thank goodness we've moved on from that nowadays and people are free to be who they are, and with who they want to, rather than that being news or something we judge people for.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

I resent that.

See, the problem there is the word "pure". Purity is the most dangerous political idea, and it's always the one you're obsessed with. I'm not just comfortable with, but actively proud of my political impurity.
    Additional: this really gets to the heart of the matter. The reason why central planning doesn't work is because economies are too complex for one person, or even one parliament, to plan. You need millions of minds working in concert and in competition to build a working, effective, modern economy and keep it ticking over.

The same is true of grand political theories. You can't do it. Nobody can hold a theory of politics in their head that is anywhere near adequate. So you need broad principles, you need an evidence-based approach, you need the space to debate and change direction, you need to be able to get rid of people who do not contribute well to the running of a system.

I think that HYUFD fancies himself to have a good working model of the world in his head and is intolerant of others' deviations from that. And you've got a good dovecote of labels to put people in that helps you dismiss their challenges. You can categorise their impurity like some Victorian scientist labels pickled specimens. But you can't really shut out the crackling quantum world that keeps tunnelling its way into your glassware. You can't push the planets back to where you Copernican models say they should be. It's all a bit off, because you're living a Steampunk politics and you keep bumping up against Heisenbergs and Einsteins who know that your timing is off but can't explain it to you because you just can't seem to listen. The static of the big bang is hissing in your vacuum tubes but you're deaf.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Sean_F said:

The economic arguments are trivial either way.

Political disputes are framed in economic terms.

A few years after the referendum I think I said something like 'if Brexit is our biggest problem in the years ahead we will be truly fortunate people', one pandemic and a major European war later I think that sadly I was correct.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

I resent that.

100% agreed with you. Could not agree with you more.

It is imperfections and impurities that help us evolve and progress. If you're completely pure on everything, then you're an incredibly boring and unthinking individual.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Well he would say that. Calling for a general election is basocally his job.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Centre of Leeds in 15 minutes?

That's either at 3am or commuting by helicopter!
    Or driven by Dura_Ace.
This discussion has been closed.