Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The public support Boris Johnson – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,333
    What 47% of people think Sunak means by halving inflation...
    https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1667509473953316865?cxt=HHwWgoCw6YPCl6QuAAAA
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,573

dixiedean said:

FPT.

Those pointing out Labour used to hold Selby, beware.
    They did, between 1997 and 2010. Marginally.
    But it wasn't this Selby.
    That Selby was Selby and a substantial bit of York. Including the University.
    This Selby and Ainsty is Selby and a collection of villages near Harrogate.
    Not the same thing at all.
    Bet accordingly.

Yeah, not a million miles from me, or the glittering metropolis of that Leeds, but very rural, farm-y, lots of big detached houses with mahoosive gardens and mahoosive Beamers and Rangies on the mahoosive drives. Be surprised if it goes anything but Tory.
    You can't judge how people vote by their house a their car. I remember visiting Tories being ridiculed for arguing with people in posh bits of Thornaby that they *must* be a Tory as look at their car.

I've got a big house and mahoosive gardens and a big Tesla and a hot tub. I don't vote Tory because I am not a git.
    Haha yeah you make a good point!
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,843

kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

FPT.

Bet accordingly.

Yeah, not a million miles from me, or the glittering metropolis of that Leeds, but very rural, farm-y, lots of big detached houses with mahoosive gardens and mahoosive Beamers and Rangies on the mahoosive drives. Be surprised if it goes anything but Tory.
    You can't judge how people vote by their house a their car. I remember visiting Tories being ridiculed for arguing with people in posh bits of Thornaby that they *must* be a Tory as look at their car.

I've got a big house and mahoosive gardens and a big Tesla and a hot tub. I don't vote Tory because I am not a git.
    You have a hot tub but aren't a git? Hmm. Let me try and process.
    42-carat plonker?
    I'll take the 5th seeing as it's Rochdale.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,120
    Farooq said:

dixiedean said:

FPT.

Bet accordingly.

Quite a few people seem to subcontract their moral compass out to 'not voting Tory' - it's easier than actually being nice to people isn't it?
    Wait a second, you're the guy who pushes Putin's lies on Ukraine, you're not even in the same county as the moral high ground.
    by just lazily saying Putin at everything Lucky says, does it mean you don’t actually have an argument against every other each thing Lucky is saying?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,870
    Tres said:

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1667509473953316865?cxt=HHwWgoCw6YPCl6QuAAAA

Yep, inflation is like acceleration, people think it’s connected to speed and not the rate of change of the speed
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,319
    EU ‘breakfast directives’ mean UK jam makers face recipe changes
    Exclusive: Failure to follow new rules on fruit levels will mean British firms won’t be able to sell existing products as jam in Europe

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/06/10/uk-jam-makers-face-recipe-changes-eu-breakfast-directives/ (£££)

Ironically, this is the sort of story with which Boris made his name as the Telegraph's Brussels correspondent.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,843

Farooq said:

dixiedean said:

FPT.

Bet accordingly.

Quite a few people seem to subcontract their moral compass out to 'not voting Tory' - it's easier than actually being nice to people isn't it?
    Wait a second, you're the guy who pushes Putin's lies on Ukraine, you're not even in the same county as the moral high ground.
    by just lazily saying Putin at everything Lucky says, does it mean you don’t actually have an argument against every other each thing Lucky is saying?
    every other each thing?

What sort of lingo is this?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,356
    edited June 2023
    There was a lengthy series of points of order about applying for or accepting an office of profit under the crown around Adams' resignation.

Ultimately the Speaker seems to have taken the view that people need to calm the heck down, and that someone who wanted to quit was appointed so its fine, and a hypothetical 'frustrated' resignation someone wanted to take back didn't need getting into.

Hilary Benn
    ...There is quite an important issue here about the nature of an application, because if, for the sake of argument, a Member were to express the view that they might feel like resigning from the House, the Chancellor might then appoint them and they would find themselves disqualified. Surely there must be a clear procedure for making it transparent that the Member in question has applied for the Chiltern Hundreds. The question that is being asked—a question to which the House would like an answer—is: was an application made in this case specifically for the Chiltern Hundreds which then led the Chancellor of the Exchequer to make the appointment, and was it accepted?

Mr Speaker
    ... the matter to which he has just referred—whether an application for the Chiltern Hundreds has been made—is, I am afraid, not a matter for me. The matter has been addressed by the Chancellor of the Exchequer in the execution of his responsibilities, and this is one of those occasions on which it is right for me to communicate the facts of the situation, but not to wallow in the realms of metaphysical abstraction, if I can put it that way.

Sammy Wilson
    ... “Erskine May” makes it quite clear that someone should apply for an office under the Crown. Should I, as the Member for East Antrim, in a fit of despair when I see who will replace Gerry Adams, express publicly the view that I wished that I was not a Member of a House that contained such a person, would the Chancellor take that as an indication that I should no longer be a Member of this House and therefore appoint me to an office of the Crown? That seems to be the implication of the ruling that you have made.

Mr Speaker
    ...let me say that I have made the factual and legal position clear. The hon. Gentleman has raised a point of order, and it seems to me that the matter that he has raised—a matter relating to what could or could not now ensue—is essentially a hypothetical matter upon which it is neither necessary nor possible for a ruling to be made this evening. I believe that the position is clear: the disqualification has happened. If there are Members who are dissatisfied with the procedure—a very senior Member and others have indicated some level of dissatisfaction—it is perfectly open to them further to pursue the matter through other quarters, on other occasions, but I do not think that there is profit in dwelling further on them this evening.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2011-01-26/debates/11012654000003/EuropeanUnionBill#404
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,870
    algarkirk said:

dixiedean said:

FPT.

Bet accordingly.

Selby is the sort of town that has more gunsmiths than tattoo or knitted muesli shops. Also a very fine minster well worth visiting - think little Durham cathedral for its magnificent interior. I would be slow to bet against the Tories.

But why the resignation - is it part of a plan of attrition, or random acts?

I’m almost wondering if he doesn’t like the new candidate so is doing everything he can to screw up said candidates political career by killing it before it begins.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,081
    eek said:

Tres said:

Yep, inflation is like acceleration, people think it’s connected to speed and not the rate of change of the speed
    To be fair, inflation is an aggregate measure, so "halving inflation" might mean the prices of some things actually coming down.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,944
    Westie said:

Omnium said:

Westie said:

Has Johnson taken the Chiltern Hundreds or the Manor of Northstead then? I didn't know an MP could resign off his own bat with immediate effect. Or is he sticking two fingers up at parliamentary procedure the same way he gestured at lockdown law, and the same way he once walked out of a parliamentary inquiry?

Also is it true that he's got the words "I don't half have it coming to me" tattooed on the blubber somewhere?

It has to be such a route in that you actually can't resign as an MP.
    The Chiltern Hundreds thing seems to have been forgotten about by the entire media. It's reminiscent of how king's (or queen's) consent was forgotten for a few decades too. The Guardian reported it as though they'd discovered this weird procedure that nobody had noticed before. Has anyone even pointed out that Johnson is insulting his constituents? Harriet Harman and other members of the Privileges Committee could be the worst devils in Westminster, but he was elected to represent his constituents, not them. Does he think his constituents would vote against him in a recall election solely because they're Harman's robots? He's got no guts.
    Well he might stand in the by-election. I doubt he will, but if he's the honourable man he believes himself to be then he has to.

• Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 11,878

Farooq said:

dixiedean said:

FPT.

Bet accordingly.

Could be, could be. I wouldn't be the only one outwitted by PB's sharpest mind, would I?
  • Options

It's called TNT Sports now, BT Sport is RIP

Trotter National Traders.
    TNT Sports is the result of BT Sport being purchased by Warner Bros. The deal is worth £600m!

It’s not clear yet if it means price increases for customers.

It could be explosive. Or subscription might just be a handful of Man U, New U, Brighton Arsenal and West H fans mad enough to be exploited.

Dear GF will be one of those, and she’s paying for Arsenal, I can follow Newcastle. ⚽️
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,423
    edited June 2023

eek said:

Tres said:

To be fair, inflation is an aggregate measure, so "halving inflation" might mean the prices of some things actually coming down.
    Indeed. It's quite possible the cost of a week's grocery shopping falls over the coming year.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

dixiedean said:

FPT.

Bet accordingly.

Could be, could be. I wouldn't be the only one outwitted by PB's sharpest mind, would I?
    Of course not no.

But you would be one of the first.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,529

dixiedean said:

FPT.

Bet accordingly.

The ABCs are swinging strongly against the Tories... look at the wipe outs on the Home County districts.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,706
    edited June 2023
    Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

A minimum of 4 by-elections this summer. At what point do you say “sod it” and call a General Election instead?

Only once the government has yourusername.
    Yeah yeah. Very funny. It’s a serious question though. If Alister Jack and Alok Sharma go, maybe the one or two others if reports are be believed (and I don’t mean Priti Patel or Simon Clarke), you face having upwards of 6 or 7 by-elections.

To some, the prospect of getting rid of some of the swivel-eyes set will be a price worth paying for the loss of those seats.

But if inflation sticks around the 7% - 8% mark, interest rates are higher, cost of living problems persist, at what point do you say “Sod it. Let Labour try and sort it. We could be back in 5 years if they screw it up”?
    They need to believe nothing that might come up in the next 14-16 months will improve their fortunes versus if they go now.

That's hard, because they could always get lucky with something, however improbably.

And if they do not go this autumn, there's not really much point going before May 2024, and that's so close to the end what harm waiting a few more months?

I remain confident of late October 2024 - so Rishi gets 2 years as PM.
    October is my strong call too. Wish there was a 'by month' market on it.
    It'd be a very interesting market. At the right price I'd have my eye on Jan 2025.
    The full effect of falling energy price caps won't be felt in published inflation figures until this Autumn and (barring a radical new price shock) we will end up with negative energy price inflation in the CPI only until June 2024. It's easy to predict given the base effects in published inflation figures from 12 months earlier. So from the July 2024 CPI, published in August 2024, there should be a significant upward movement in the CPI again.

I think Sunak is planning to call the election in May 2024 or June but no later, on the back of much lower inflation. If it's later he will have to be desperate.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

dixiedean said:

FPT.

Bet accordingly.

Of course not no.

But you would be one of the first.
    I hope to complete the set, you see. Cut down by the nimbler wit of allcomers. I've had to train hard to be stupider than Mr 15 Minute Cities but I'm getting close to my final total eclipse of wrongness.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,490
    algarkirk said:

dixiedean said:

FPT.

Bet accordingly.

Selby is the sort of town that has more gunsmiths than tattoo or knitted muesli shops. Also a very fine minster well worth visiting - think little Durham cathedral for its magnificent interior. I would be slow to bet against the Tories.

Yes, I don’t see much potential for Selby changing hands.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,375
    Cicero said:

dixiedean said:

FPT.

Bet accordingly.

The ABCs are swinging strongly against the Tories... look at the wipe outs on the Home County districts.
    Sounds like LD territory. Potentially, anyway!
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,993

dixiedean said:

FPT.

Bet accordingly.

The current Tory government is grotesquely corrupt and utterly incompetent. Not voting Tory is the very definition of being nice to people.
  • Options

Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

A minimum of 4 by-elections this summer. At what point do you say “sod it” and call a General Election instead?

Only once the government has yourusername.
    Yeah yeah. Very funny. It’s a serious question though. If Alister Jack and Alok Sharma go, maybe the one or two others if reports are be believed (and I don’t mean Priti Patel or Simon Clarke), you face having upwards of 6 or 7 by-elections.

To some, the prospect of getting rid of some of the swivel-eyes set will be a price worth paying for the loss of those seats.

But if inflation sticks around the 7% - 8% mark, interest rates are higher, cost of living problems persist, at what point do you say “Sod it. Let Labour try and sort it. We could be back in 5 years if they screw it up”?
    They need to believe nothing that might come up in the next 14-16 months will improve their fortunes versus if they go now.

That's hard, because they could always get lucky with something, however improbably.

And if they do not go this autumn, there's not really much point going before May 2024, and that's so close to the end what harm waiting a few more months?

I remain confident of late October 2024 - so Rishi gets 2 years as PM.
    October is my strong call too. Wish there was a 'by month' market on it.
    It'd be a very interesting market. At the right price I'd have my eye on Jan 2025.
    The full effect of falling energy price caps won't be felt in published inflation figures until this Autumn and (barring a radical new price shock) we will end up with negative energy price inflation in the CPI only until June 2024. So from the July 2024 CPI, published in August 2024, there should be a significant upward movement in the CPI again.

I think Sunak is planning to call the election in May 2024 or June but no later, on the back of much lower inflation. If it's later he will have to be desperate.
    May 2024 is front and centre.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,132
    eek said:

Tres said:

I suspect that CO2 is similar. Perhaps many people think that 'cutting CO2 output' means there would be less CO2 in the atmosphere than before; and that 'net zero' means either none (we all die) or back to pre industrial levels.

At the moment not even any of this is being achieved. The output is gigantic and if anything rising. Which is why (if the science is correct) we are toast whatever happens in the next few years.

The only ways out are
    (a) the science is wrong
    (b) the next ice age arrives early
    (c) CO2 removal (Climeworks etc) can be scaled up about 10,000,000 times in a few years.

• Options
    kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

dixiedean said:

FPT.

Bet accordingly.

every other each thing?

The sort of higher plain of communication you can also achieve, if you manage the right combination of cocktails.
  • Options

Cicero said:

dixiedean said:

FPT.

Bet accordingly.

Sounds like LD territory. Potentially, anyway!
    Sounds like Nick Palmer territory, PBs Sultan of swing 🤭
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,132

algarkirk said:

dixiedean said:

FPT.

Bet accordingly.

I've actually been to Selby station, back in 2018, by virtue of doing both the links between the ECML towards York and the Leeds-Hull line. Saw the swing bridge too.

"No one departs, no one arrives, From Selby to Goole, from St Erth to St Ives"

(The Slow Train)
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

FPT.

Bet accordingly.

You have a hot tub but aren't a git? Hmm. Let me try and process.
    42-carat plonker?
    I'll take the 5th seeing as it's Rochdale.
    I think sometimes my self-deprecating humour flies a little over people's heads.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,408
    I find the header rather strange . The public support his decision to resign because they want rid of him.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,010
    nico679 said:

I find the header rather strange . The public support his decision to resign because they want rid of him.

WHOOSH!
  • Options

dixiedean said:

FPT.

Bet accordingly.

It's not quite as you depict. There have been more than enough changes in demographics of the constituency to move it from the Conservatives to... any of the three parties with a bit of effort. It'sone of those areas that acts as a feeder to lots of larger economically important centres, eg. Leeds.

A lot of those living in places like Sherburn in Elmet or Tadcaster commute either to Leeds or to York. They're college and university educated and gravitate towards the Liberals more than Labour. There are still some areas which are dyed in the wool Tory - think around Tockwith, Kirk Hammerton or the parts skirting Harrogate and Knaresborough. It's the areas around Eggborough, Drax, Chapel Haddesley, North Duffield which could be interesting. Some of these areas commute to other areas (Doncaster, Hull, Sheffield).

There are plenty of local issues at play that have never really been addressed properly: flooding around Selby can be an issue, especially in places to the north such as Cawood or to the south (such as closer to Snaith). The proposal for a new village to be built off the A19 close to Escrick and Stillingfleet has not been received well: the area is a massive flood plain and putting extra pressure on an already overworked A19 from Selby to York is only asking for trouble.

Would I bet against the Conservatives? No. Then again, this is one I wouldn't bet on. There are far too many issues and variables that could influence the outcome.
  • Options
    Westie said:

Omnium said:

Westie said:

Has Johnson taken the Chiltern Hundreds or the Manor of Northstead then? I didn't know an MP could resign off his own bat with immediate effect. Or is he sticking two fingers up at parliamentary procedure the same way he gestured at lockdown law, and the same way he once walked out of a parliamentary inquiry?

Also is it true that he's got the words "I don't half have it coming to me" tattooed on the blubber somewhere?

The Chiltern Hundreds thing seems to have been forgotten about by the entire media. It's reminiscent of how king's (or queen's) consent was forgotten for a few decades too. The Guardian reported it as though they'd discovered this weird procedure that nobody had noticed before. Has anyone even pointed out that Johnson is insulting his constituents? Harriet Harman and other members of the Privileges Committee could be the worst devils in Westminster, but he was elected to represent his constituents, not them. Does he think his constituents would vote against him in a recall election solely because they're Harman's robots? He's got no guts.
    I understand the Burnham Hundreds can be taken in exactly the same way. Other Hundreds are available.

But I will reduce the number of hundreds I type in this post, as Hundreds might be a trigger word for Ydoethur.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

The good news is that no leading questions were asked.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,240
    They got the information that Johnson was quitting just after the last question on Any Questions and announced it . I've never heard a more delighted audience

Regarding elections.

Inflation should be in a better place by Q1, and interest rates are likely to have peaked out and be falling too.
    Add a promise of a 2p tax cut, and May 24 is likely to be optimal for Sunak.

May 2nd is the date next year Tories will get the best result, any day after that will be a worse result. Doesn’t mean they be smart enough to call it for May.

Economically Interest rates won’t be any lower than they are today, growth will be one of the lowest of G20 nations, inflation will be lower due to energy prices, but the ongoing problem with underlying inflation may have it not much under 5%. A 2p tax cut is impossible, with public services and incomes, and borrowing and interest repayment figures in the state they will be in, a 2p tax cut would be a catastrophic political mistake on eve of the election. However, that money could cut other things creatively or ideologically. In the first bracket, not consolidated pay to the public sector, but a one off 2K handout, for private sector businesses taxes and NI cuts. In the second bracket inhesitance tax.

Halving inflation to 5% may sound good on paper, but what affect will that have on wage claims on the back of years of higher than 5% inflation eroding incomes? 4-5% inflation through first half of 2024 will be a massive issue for government to manage.

The economy will not come good to help this Tory government, that conversation is over, the conversation now is will the economy help or hinder Labour in a 2028 election. Just look at the borrowing, tax burden, debt repayments, struggling public services, hollowed out incomes and to top it all a struggling world economy predicting no growth for UK for the next FOUR YEARS - and I haven’t even mentioned Brexit.

economy not coming good to save this government, might not even come good to save the next one either.

It’s on politics and issues the Tory’s get best election result next May, before the summer of hell kicks in for them, such as boats, eroded incomes, lack of growth, a long dirty war of election campaign through summer 24 focussing on the promises of the 2019 Tory manifesto and Sunak’s own promises when he came to power 2 years before, benefits opponents.
    Do you think an announcement next April that he'd stopped some all or most of the boats would win him even a single extra vote next May?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,397
    Ghedebrav said:

algarkirk said:

dixiedean said:

FPT.

Bet accordingly.

Yes, I don’t see much potential for Selby changing hands.
    Electoral Calculus predicts a Labour gain, though they use a crude swingometer, so treat with caution:

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/seatdetails.py?seat=Selby and Ainsty
  • Options
    Roger said:

They got the information that Johnson was quitting just after the last question on Any Questions and announced it . I've never heard a more delighted audience

Regarding elections.

Inflation should be in a better place by Q1, and interest rates are likely to have peaked out and be falling too.

May 2nd is the date next year Tories will get the best result, any day after that will be a worse result. Doesn’t mean they be smart enough to call it for May.

Economically Interest rates won’t be any lower than they are today, growth will be one of the lowest of G20 nations, inflation will be lower due to energy prices, but the ongoing problem with underlying inflation may have it not much under 5%. A 2p tax cut is impossible, with public services and incomes, and borrowing and interest repayment figures in the state they will be in, a 2p tax cut would be a catastrophic political mistake on eve of the election. However, that money could cut other things creatively or ideologically. In the first bracket, not consolidated pay to the public sector, but a one off 2K handout, for private sector businesses taxes and NI cuts. In the second bracket inhesitance tax.

Halving inflation to 5% may sound good on paper, but what affect will that have on wage claims on the back of years of higher than 5% inflation eroding incomes? 4-5% inflation through first half of 2024 will be a massive issue for government to manage.

The economy will not come good to help this Tory government, that conversation is over, the conversation now is will the economy help or hinder Labour in a 2028 election. Just look at the borrowing, tax burden, debt repayments, struggling public services, hollowed out incomes and to top it all a struggling world economy predicting no growth for UK for the next FOUR YEARS - and I haven’t even mentioned Brexit.

economy not coming good to save this government, might not even come good to save the next one either.

It’s on politics and issues the Tory’s get best election result next May, before the summer of hell kicks in for them, such as boats, eroded incomes, lack of growth, a long dirty war of election campaign through summer 24 focussing on the promises of the 2019 Tory manifesto and Sunak’s own promises when he came to power 2 years before, benefits opponents.
    Do you think an announcement next April that he'd stopped some all or most of the boats would win him even a single extra vote next May?
    Yes.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,140
    PICTURE QUIZ

where am I? There are enough clues in here to guess

• Options
    edited June 2023
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,477
    edited June 2023
    nico679 said:

It’s my usual subtleness that people seem to miss.

Should be read in conjunction with the bad news part.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

dixiedean said:

FPT.

Bet accordingly.

every other each thing?

The sort of higher plain of communication you can also achieve, if you manage the right combination of cocktails.
    If you want a guaranteed like of respect and appreciation on PB, just mention the bender you are currently on 🤪

All ills are forgiven, even minor syntax and grammatical errors overlooked in support of ongoing alcohol intake.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,628
    Leon said:

PICTURE QUIZ

The Chiltern Hundreds, cradle of the Tory civil war.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

PICTURE QUIZ

Not quite. However the area I am in is quite “civil war ish”. But this is a different era
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

PICTURE QUIZ

Boris's jungle lair, manning the guard tower to shoot terrified subordinates as they try to flee
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,628
    Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

PICTURE QUIZ

Not quite. However the area I am in is quite “civil war ish”. But this is a different era
    Is it where they cut down the tree that they made George Washington’s wooden teeth from?
  • Options
    Leon said:

PICTURE QUIZ

Lesnes?
  • Options
    Leon said:

PICTURE QUIZ

Straight up Brokeback Mountain
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Another picture clue

Again this is a genuine clue (it’s a ceiling)

• Options

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

dixiedean said:

FPT.

Bet accordingly.

every other each thing?

If you want a guaranteed like of respect and appreciation on PB, just mention the bender you are currently on 🤪

All ills are forgiven, even minor syntax and grammatical errors overlooked in support of ongoing alcohol intake.
    Cheer up MR - I've read many of your 10k posts. There's been the odd good point :)
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    Sunak has communicated his inflation pledge horrendously.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Another picture clue

You fell over?
  • Options

Roger said:

Regarding elections.

Yes.
    I think people in this country put a higher price on their votes than you think they do
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Another picture clue

You fell over?
    Ooh. You are inadvertently close
  • Options

Leon said:

PICTURE QUIZ

Straight up Brokeback Mountain
    The wilderness in Northern Georgia. Holding a banjo.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,459
    edited June 2023

EU ‘breakfast directives’ mean UK jam makers face recipe changes
    Exclusive: Failure to follow new rules on fruit levels will mean British firms won’t be able to sell existing products as jam in Europe

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/06/10/uk-jam-makers-face-recipe-changes-eu-breakfast-directives/ (£££)

Ironically, this is the sort of story with which Boris made his name as the Telegraph's Brussels correspondent.

10% more strawberries in the mix in my jam.

What's not to like?

Let's have 10% more cocoa solids in chocolate, too.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Regarding elections.

Yes.
    I think people in this country put a higher price on their votes than you think they do
    Some people like different things than other people.
  • Options
    One more clue. You should get it after this

It has just been voted “Americas most beloved building”

No googling!

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,291
    @Tomorrow'sMPs
    @tomorrowsmps
    ·
    1h
    🔵MID BEDFORDSHIRE: Stephen James is on the CCHQ candidates' list and thinking of applying.
  • Options
    Leon said:

No googling!

Fallingwater.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

dixiedean said:

FPT.

Bet accordingly.

every other each thing?

Cheer up MR - I've read many of your 10k posts. There's been the odd good point :)
    Cheers for that 🍹
  • Options
    Leon said:

No googling!

Wild guess. Frank Lloyd Wright?
  • Options
    Leon said:

No googling!

Donald Trump's secret documents store and toilet?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Another picture clue

You fell over?
    Ooh. You are inadvertently close
    So the point of interest is clearly lower centre. And in the context you might imagine the left field to be something like Saturn. But there just aren't any odd conservatory windows near Saturn.

So, playing with the AI.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,112

dixiedean said:

FPT.

Bet accordingly.

I'm well aware there are plenty of decent well-minded Conservatives - I don't agree with them and will say so but I don't question their motives.

The vast majority of Conservative, Labour, Lib Dem, Green party members and activists are in it to improve the lot of their communities and their country. They genuinely think their way is the best way to improve the country so the disagreement isn't on ends but on means.

After the thick end of two decades of mostly universal popularity and being on the right side of most arguments, some Conservatives are now discovering what it's like to be really unpopular, to be, if not hated, then despised and they don't like it. The response, as we see in the Mail this morning, is to blame everyone else, the media, the "liberal elite", the "lefty civil servants", the "establishment", "remoaners", the "Wokerati" etc, etc ad infinitum and ad nauseam.

As with the ludicrous antics of Trump, the notion people like Johnson, Truss and others like them might have played some small part in their own demise would shatter their delusion of infallibility.

Johnson's route back might begin with a bit of mea culpa and a generous helping of humility.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,189
    edited June 2023
    @Leon looks like a social or working mens club.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Leon said:

No googling!

Fallingwater.
    Its most distinctive point being that - like everything built by FLW - it is prone to falling down and having budget inflation like the Scottish Parliament and the Palace of Westminster tart-up..

Or in this case series balcony droop.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 855
    Selby and Ainsty, presuming a significant movement from Cons to Lib Dems then this seat has all the potential for being a three way marginal. Greens may surprise, they have competed at a local level in most wards. They could detract from the Labour vote.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Leon said:

No googling!

Fallingwater.
    Bingo. Frank Lloyd Wright’s Fallingwater. It is genuinely stunning

• Options
    I see from Tomorrow's MPs that some CLPs are having a tantrum about that Driscoll chap. All seems very self defeating.

Labour Party in Blyth Valley have joined those constituency parties refusing to nominate in North East mayoral selection process, in protest at exclusion of Jamie Driscoll.
  • Options
    Civil War latest:

Calgie
    @christiancalgie
    EXCLUSIVE: A frontrunner to be the Tory candidate for London mayor, Samuel Kasumu, has been blocked and has not even made the candidate long list.

His team is accusing CCHQ of blocking him because of close links to Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

dixiedean said:

FPT.

Bet accordingly.

every other each thing?

Since we are all over Lord Frith today, you do know that E J Davey Esq once played El Ahrairah in a production of Watership Down, so you are required to consider voting LD.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,225
    Leon said:

No googling!

I never thought the annex of the property I rent out on AirBnB would make it on to such an august forum.

On topic, are we done with the Boris come back talk now?

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Leon said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

No googling!

Fallingwater.

Never been there, but I agree it is a seminal design. In general I rate more modest buildings higher - especially FLW's Usonian houses - as being more practical and accessible.
  • Options

Civil War latest:

Calgie
    @christiancalgie
    EXCLUSIVE: A frontrunner to be the Tory candidate for London mayor, Samuel Kasumu, has been blocked and has not even made the candidate long list.

His team is accusing CCHQ of blocking him because of close links to Boris Johnson.

Tough titties mate.

Yes, its factional, but complaints of this nature ultimately boil down to a sense of entitlement to be on a list. If he'd made the list and then not got it no doubt he'd be complaining on the same basis - so why not just exclude him now?
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,960
    Just about on topic- I was in Ainsty House in my 1960s grammar school. For a time I had an account with the Upper Agbrigg Savings Bank - another wapentake. There appear to be two explanations for the name; 1. different communities would get together at a recognised meeting point to discuss an issue and would lay their weapons down and then take them up again at the end; 2. decisions would be taken by waving weapons in the air. I prefer the former.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,332

Westie said:

Omnium said:

Westie said:

I understand the Burnham Hundreds can be taken in exactly the same way. Other Hundreds are available.

But I will reduce the number of hundreds I type in this post, as Hundreds might be a trigger word for Ydoethur.
    I'm OK with hundreds, be they Chiltern, Botloe, Harris or Foakes. I normally call the first ones 'cantrefau' as a good Welshman but the principle is the same.

It's the Hundred I can't stand.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,010

Westie said:

Omnium said:

Westie said:

Chafford Hundred is the station serving Lakeside Shopping Centre.
  • Options
    Anyone know why Nigel Adams is jumping ship....hands in the till...up someone's skirt?
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    CorrectHorseBat
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,273

Westie said:

Omnium said:

Westie said:

I don’t care how many hundreds there are as long as the Aussies don’t score any in the Ashes.
  • Options

Westie said:

Omnium said:

Westie said:

I don’t care how many hundreds there are as long as the Aussies don’t score any in the Ashes.
    Now *that's* wishful thinking.
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

No googling!

Fallingwater.
    Its most distinctive point being that - like everything built by FLW - it is prone to falling down and having budget inflation like the Scottish Parliament and the Palace of Westminster tart-up..

Or in this case series balcony droop.
    He was given a piece of land with a stream and a forest, so he built it in the only place where you can't properly see the stream - but can hear it. Very innovative, and probably good for keeping a cool microclimate in this warming age.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,250
    stodge said:

dixiedean said:

FPT.

Bet accordingly.

I'm well aware there are plenty of decent well-minded Conservatives - I don't agree with them and will say so but I don't question their motives.

The vast majority of Conservative, Labour, Lib Dem, Green party members and activists are in it to improve the lot of their communities and their country. They genuinely think their way is the best way to improve the country so the disagreement isn't on ends but on means.

After the thick end of two decades of mostly universal popularity and being on the right side of most arguments, some Conservatives are now discovering what it's like to be really unpopular, to be, if not hated, then despised and they don't like it. The response, as we see in the Mail this morning, is to blame everyone else, the media, the "liberal elite", the "lefty civil servants", the "establishment", "remoaners", the "Wokerati" etc, etc ad infinitum and ad nauseam.

As with the ludicrous antics of Trump, the notion people like Johnson, Truss and others like them might have played some small part in their own demise would shatter their delusion of infallibility.

Johnson's route back might begin with a bit of mea culpa and a generous helping of humility.
    And the generation of Conservatives who did the long hard slog to get a hearing from the public again, let alone the ones who experienced the public derision in the run-up to 1997, are all gone or irrelevant.

Maybe it's a lesson each cohort of politicos has to learn for themselves the hard way.
  • Options
    george washington's manor
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 16,133
    kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

A lovely moment toward the end of Friday’s Any Questions when the audience erupts in wild cheers as the news that the clown has resigned from parliament came through….

Plus Donald Trump sinks further into the mire. Not the worst political day, was it?
    Being indicted is - so far - BOOSTING polling for Sage of Mar-a-Lardo aka former Security-Risk-in-Chief.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,225

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

A lovely moment toward the end of Friday’s Any Questions when the audience erupts in wild cheers as the news that the clown has resigned from parliament came through….

Plus Donald Trump sinks further into the mire. Not the worst political day, was it?
    Being indicted is - so far - BOOSTING polling for Sage of Mar-a-Lardo aka former Security-Risk-in-Chief.
    Yeah but with who?
  • Options
    Yokes said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yeah but with who?
    america is dying of brain rot
  • Options
    Westie said:

Omnium said:

Westie said:

Brits in general are remarkably ignorant regarding the workings of the British "constitution".

And journos tend to be more remarkably ignorant than average, except maybe about factoids they stumble upon in course of business.

As for the "insulting his constituents" argument, even as a certified (and certifiable) anti-BoJoite, hard for me to follow your logic. Even IF he makes a chicken run to bluer pastures.

The real insult was Boris claiming he sincerely wished to represent ANYBODY except himself, certainly NOT his "constituents".

As for THEM, by electing an obvious Con-jobber and land pirate as their MP, well THEY gave the traditional UKer two-fingered salute (just one in USA) to the rest of the UK.
  • Options
    Re: MPs taking office of (no) profit as Stewards of either the Chiltern Hundreds or Manor of Northstead, as you can see from following links, the idea that this rather quaint system is limited to two by-elections at a time, is NOT true:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stewards_of_the_Chiltern_Hundreds

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stewards_of_the_Manor_of_Northstead

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resignation_from_the_House_of_Commons_of_the_United_Kingdom
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,615
    Leon said:

No googling!

Taliesin?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

No googling!

Taliesin?
    Dammit, wrong Frank Lloyd Wright house!
  • Options
    Leon said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

No googling!

Fallingwater.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallingwater

Leon is not far from the old National Road. Which more-or-less followed the route hacked out of the wilderness by Gen. Braddock and his fellow hapless Brits (and colonials including George Washington and Daniel Boone) on their was to getting massacred by French & Indians just before they got to their objective - Fort Duquene.

The latter commemorated in Pittsburgh's local Duquene Beer.

As in classic "boilermaker" - shot of whiskey with "Duke" chaser.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

No googling!

Fallingwater.

Never been there, but I agree it is a seminal design. In general I rate more modest buildings higher - especially FLW's Usonian houses - as being more practical and accessible.
    The interior is iconic but a tad claustrophobic

Apparently the idea is to force you to look - or, better, go - outside. There is as much terrace as interior space

• Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,573

dixiedean said:

FPT.

Bet accordingly.

It's not quite as you depict. There have been more than enough changes in demographics of the constituency to move it from the Conservatives to... any of the three parties with a bit of effort. It'sone of those areas that acts as a feeder to lots of larger economically important centres, eg. Leeds.

A lot of those living in places like Sherburn in Elmet or Tadcaster commute either to Leeds or to York. They're college and university educated and gravitate towards the Liberals more than Labour. There are still some areas which are dyed in the wool Tory - think around Tockwith, Kirk Hammerton or the parts skirting Harrogate and Knaresborough. It's the areas around Eggborough, Drax, Chapel Haddesley, North Duffield which could be interesting. Some of these areas commute to other areas (Doncaster, Hull, Sheffield).

There are plenty of local issues at play that have never really been addressed properly: flooding around Selby can be an issue, especially in places to the north such as Cawood or to the south (such as closer to Snaith). The proposal for a new village to be built off the A19 close to Escrick and Stillingfleet has not been received well: the area is a massive flood plain and putting extra pressure on an already overworked A19 from Selby to York is only asking for trouble.

Would I bet against the Conservatives? No. Then again, this is one I wouldn't bet on. There are far too many issues and variables that could influence the outcome.
    Yes you’re right. I was making a sweeping generalisation. I have family in Sherburn, it’s precisely as you describe. Lots of new housing full of well paid, younger, professional types with young families and two nice SUVs on the drive.

But whether it’s enough to get the Cons out I don’t know. They’ll be angry at their mortgages and food and everything else rising, they’ll have grown up enjoying freedom of movement, they’ll be socially liberal. Starmer won’t scare them. Will they vote tactically?

It’s going to be interesting.
  • Options
    Yokes said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yeah but with who?
    With likely Republican primary voters.
  • Options

Yokes said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yeah but with who?
    Other voters are in every sense a secondary consideration now.
  • Options
    When I am all growed up and rich, I shall build one of these

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_Study_Houses

• Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

No googling!

Taliesin?
    Dammit, wrong Frank Lloyd Wright house!
    Great guess in correct ball park.

However, when I saw you surmise, knew the correct answer; because Leon said he was on the way to Pennsylvania NOT Wisconsin.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,857
    If India pull this off, it will be the sixth-highest run-chase ever.

All five of the higher ones ended in either draws or defeat
    (654/4 - draw
    451 all out - lost
    450/7 - draw
    450 all out - lost
    445 all out - lost)
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,691

Yokes said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yeah but with who?
    Timothy Snyder was on R4 this morning saying Trump was getting a boost with those already likely to vote for him but the independents/non-aligned were still turned off. I hope he’s right.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,953

Leon said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

No googling!

Fallingwater.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallingwater

Leon is not far from the old National Road. Which more-or-less followed the route hacked out of the wilderness by Gen. Braddock and his fellow hapless Brits (and colonials including George Washington and Daniel Boone) on their was to getting massacred by French & Indians just before they got to their objective - Fort Duquene.

The latter commemorated in Pittsburgh's local Duquene Beer.

As in classic "boilermaker" - shot of whiskey with "Duke" chaser.
    Isn't Fort Duquesne preserved as the old blockhouse in that rather nice public park where the Ohio and Monongahela Rivers meet in the centre of Pittsburgh? Was there for a conference years ago.
  • Options
    Returning to the subject of local specialities, Pittsburgh has the Primanti Bros sandwich, which is really not bad. The secret ingredient is their coleslaw.

https://www.thrillist.com/amphtml/eat/pittsburgh/why-pittsburgh-loves-french-fries-on-its-sandwiches
This discussion has been closed.