Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The public support Boris Johnson – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,235
    For those wondering about why now for the UAP flap in the states (ok, basically just (@Leon ) see this for some of the back story of those making shit up/reporting the greatest story ever.

https://theintrinsicperspective.com/p/the-ufo-craze-was-created-by-government
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,622
    ydoethur said:

Yokes said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

A lovely moment toward the end of Friday’s Any Questions when the audience erupts in wild cheers as the news that the clown has resigned from parliament came through….

Plus Donald Trump sinks further into the mire. Not the worst political day, was it?
    Being indicted is - so far - BOOSTING polling for Sage of Mar-a-Lardo aka former Security-Risk-in-Chief.
    Yeah but with who?
    With likely Republican primary voters.
    Other voters are in every sense a secondary consideration now.
    Mainly and mostly. (Is there a difference?)

However, a segment of likely GOP primary electorate that is not (already) reflexively anti-Trump, IS concerned about actually winning the presidential AND other general elections.

So still need to see how this all gestates during next nine months . . .
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

@Leon looks like a social or working mens club.

He's gone over the red side
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

One more clue. You should get it after this

It has just been voted “Americas most beloved building”

No googling!

Fallingwater.
    Bingo. Frank Lloyd Wright’s Fallingwater. It is genuinely stunning

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallingwater

Leon is not far from the old National Road. Which more-or-less followed the route hacked out of the wilderness by Gen. Braddock and his fellow hapless Brits (and colonials including George Washington and Daniel Boone) on their was to getting massacred by French & Indians just before they got to their objective - Fort Duquene.

The latter commemorated in Pittsburgh's local Duquene Beer.

As in classic "boilermaker" - shot of whiskey with "Duke" chaser.
    Isn't Fort Duquesne preserved as the old blockhouse in that rather nice public park where the Ohio and Monongahela Rivers meet in the centre of Pittsburgh? Was there for a conference years ago.
    Yes! Have in my possession a glass model of that blockhouse, a commemorative produced by local foundry.

Right at the tip of the Golden Triangle.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,915
    edited June 2023

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

No googling!

Taliesin?
    Dammit, wrong Frank Lloyd Wright house!
    Great guess in correct ball park.

However, when I saw you surmise, knew the correct answer; because Leon said he was on the way to Pennsylvania NOT Wisconsin.
    Thank you. I was biting my lip. I used to know all this stuff, back when I had a memory. Couldn't pass a test now of course, and even then it was enthusiast-level only, but...well, the hopes of long ago. Still hope to do this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farnsworth_House
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNckyRjFBMg
  • Options

Yokes said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

A lovely moment toward the end of Friday’s Any Questions when the audience erupts in wild cheers as the news that the clown has resigned from parliament came through….

Plus Donald Trump sinks further into the mire. Not the worst political day, was it?
    Being indicted is - so far - BOOSTING polling for Sage of Mar-a-Lardo aka former Security-Risk-in-Chief.
    Yeah but with who?
    Timothy Snyder was on R4 this morning saying Trump was getting a boost with those already likely to vote for him but the independents/non-aligned were still turned off. I hope he’s right.
    I really fail to see how you could be neutral or hostile to Trump and then, looking at the last few days, suddenly think "actually, yeah, I like the cut of this guy's jib"
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,106
    Farooq said:

Yokes said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yeah but with who?
    Timothy Snyder was on R4 this morning saying Trump was getting a boost with those already likely to vote for him but the independents/non-aligned were still turned off. I hope he’s right.
    I really fail to see how you could be neutral or hostile to Trump and then, looking at the last few days, suddenly think "actually, yeah, I like the cut of this guy's jib"
    If you're indifferent to Trump, you might still be turned off by the glee of his enemies.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Yokes said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yeah but with who?
    Not that, methinks.

Rather, a rallying around a "leader" in whom they harbor serious doubts, but still support in "principle".

So firming up support that's been fraying - NOT attracting new support.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Did anyone expect otherwise?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,868

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

No googling!

Fallingwater.
    Bingo. Frank Lloyd Wright’s Fallingwater. It is genuinely stunning

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallingwater

Leon is not far from the old National Road. Which more-or-less followed the route hacked out of the wilderness by Gen. Braddock and his fellow hapless Brits (and colonials including George Washington and Daniel Boone) on their was to getting massacred by French & Indians just before they got to their objective - Fort Duquene.

The latter commemorated in Pittsburgh's local Duquene Beer.

As in classic "boilermaker" - shot of whiskey with "Duke" chaser.
    Isn't Fort Duquesne preserved as the old blockhouse in that rather nice public park where the Ohio and Monongahela Rivers meet in the centre of Pittsburgh? Was there for a conference years ago.
    Yes! Have in my possession a glass model of that blockhouse, a commemorative produced by local foundry.

Right at the tip of the Golden Triangle.
    Thanks! Didn't have much time off there but it was just before Halloween so did get to see the pumpkins on the stoops of the houses atop the southern heights above the old R.R. yards and the preserved submarine not far from the park. Memorable also as my first experience of dry cold continental interior weather.

Pittsburgh is also famous for its museum with the original dinosaur Diplodocus funded by Carnegie - itself a huge cultural icon in its own right (the one in London NHM is merely a plaster cast of it). (And btw his birthplace in Dunfermline not far from here is quite something to see, not least the way it is dwarfed by the commemorative museum and hall that he built next to it.)
  • Options

Yokes said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yeah but with who?
    I cannot imagine liking someone so much that them being charged with crimes not only didn't see me even hesitate in my support, but actually propelled me to support them even more.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    Farooq said:

Yokes said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yeah but with who?
    Trump's not all wrong. He's perhaps the most astute and brave observer of our age. An idiot though.

Quite how he can be the fool that he is and yet observe wisely in some things escapes me. The most likely confusion is that I have somehow misjudged him. Perhaps not a Chump. Ok, so moving on....
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

No googling!

Taliesin?

However, when I saw you surmise, knew the correct answer; because Leon said he was on the way to Pennsylvania NOT Wisconsin.
    Thank you. I was biting my lip. I used to know all this stuff, back when I had a memory. Couldn't pass a test now of course, and even then it was enthusiast-level only, but...well, the hopes of long ago. Still hope to do this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farnsworth_House
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNckyRjFBMg
    No doubt that you know far more about architecture in general, and Frank Lloyd Wright in particular.

Whereas I know more about North American geography, for what it's worth.
  • Options
    WestieWestie Posts: 426
    edited June 2023

Westie said:

Omnium said:

Westie said:

Has Johnson taken the Chiltern Hundreds or the Manor of Northstead then? I didn't know an MP could resign off his own bat with immediate effect. Or is he sticking two fingers up at parliamentary procedure the same way he gestured at lockdown law, and the same way he once walked out of a parliamentary inquiry?

Also is it true that he's got the words "I don't half have it coming to me" tattooed on the blubber somewhere?

It has to be such a route in that you actually can't resign as an MP.
    The Chiltern Hundreds thing seems to have been forgotten about by the entire media. It's reminiscent of how king's (or queen's) consent was forgotten for a few decades too. The Guardian reported it as though they'd discovered this weird procedure that nobody had noticed before. Has anyone even pointed out that Johnson is insulting his constituents? Harriet Harman and other members of the Privileges Committee could be the worst devils in Westminster, but he was elected to represent his constituents, not them. Does he think his constituents would vote against him in a recall election solely because they're Harman's robots? He's got no guts.
    Brits in general are remarkably ignorant regarding the workings of the British "constitution".

And journos tend to be more remarkably ignorant than average, except maybe about factoids they stumble upon in course of business.

As for the "insulting his constituents" argument, even as a certified (and certifiable) anti-BoJoite, hard for me to follow your logic. Even IF he makes a chicken run to bluer pastures.
    The logic is this. His constituents elected him to represent them for the duration of this parliament. He's got himself into a spot of bother. A committee seems about to sanction him and he thinks the committee is wrong and biased. His constituents haven't rejected him - or not yet. But he tells them he won't represent them any more, because he's having a disagreement with some committee or other, whose main power seems to be to act so that his constituents get a chance to look at him again and decide whether they still want him. If he had any courage he'd say fine, I don't fear putting my case to the people I represent, not at all, and you can come here and say what you think, too, Harriet, if you wish. But nope. He flounces.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    Good grief Alex.

Even Bairstow would have caught that.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    kle4 said:

Yokes said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yeah but with who?
    I cannot imagine liking someone so much that them being charged with crimes not only didn't see me even hesitate in my support, but actually propelled me to support them even more.
    Partly no publicity is bad publicity if you're Trump, and partly his supporters believe the Establishment is out to get him, and what better proof than a bunch of charges?

Think of it this way: imagine a Chinese dissident who we really like: our support for him might be strengthened if the Chinese authorities prosecuted him - more evidence of state repression, isn't it? Conversely, if they leave him alone, maybe he's not that persecuted after all?

It's nuts in the case of Trump, but it has a sort of internal logic.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,472
    kle4 said:

I see from Tomorrow's MPs that some CLPs are having a tantrum about that Driscoll chap. All seems very self defeating.

Labour Party in Blyth Valley have joined those constituency parties refusing to nominate in North East mayoral selection process, in protest at exclusion of Jamie Driscoll.

According to someone on the media lately, even the regional Conservatives respect Driscoll in his current Mayoralty. Starmer may have called this one wrong.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Yokes said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yeah but with who?
    Partly no publicity is bad publicity if you're Trump, and partly his supporters believe the Establishment is out to get him, and what better proof than a bunch of charges?

Think of it this way: imagine a Chinese dissident who we really like: our support for him might be strengthened if the Chinese authorities prosecuted him - more evidence of state repression, isn't it? Conversely, if they leave him alone, maybe he's not that persecuted after all?

It's nuts in the case of Trump, but it has a sort of internal logic.
    Generation ago, Lyndon LaRouche campaigned for President with the slogan

"The only candidate George Bush [the Elder] fears enough to put in jail".

Did NOT do wonders for LLR but then his starting base was wee bit more limited that DJT's.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Omnium said:

Farooq said:

Yokes said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yeah but with who?
    Trump's not all wrong. He's perhaps the most astute and brave observer of our age. An idiot though.

Quite how he can be the fool that he is and yet observe wisely in some things escapes me. The most likely confusion is that I have somehow misjudged him. Perhaps not a Chump. Ok, so moving on....
    Trump's not a fool. Nor is he all wrong. What he is, is insane. That amount of "positive thinking" (see Norman Vincent Peale) can drive a person insane and there's a literature on it. In his case that's not the whole of the causation, though.
    Nor is he the most astute and brave observer of our age.
    I don't know how closely you've looked at him. If you haven't done so already, you might read up on how he rates "Memories, Dreams, Reflections" by Carl Gustav Jung, not omitting to consider the God-sent turd that Jung writes about in it near the beginning. His engaging in name-calling is (in his mind) Jung-inspired.
    Dunno about judging or misjudging, but there's a lot out there about this guy and how he thinks. I studied him in depth in 2016.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082

kle4 said:

I see from Tomorrow's MPs that some CLPs are having a tantrum about that Driscoll chap. All seems very self defeating.

Labour Party in Blyth Valley have joined those constituency parties refusing to nominate in North East mayoral selection process, in protest at exclusion of Jamie Driscoll.

According to someone on the media lately, even the regional Conservatives respect Driscoll in his current Mayoralty. Starmer may have called this one wrong.
    Driscoll is the biggest non-entity in the country. Totally useless.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,278

Luke Barr
    @LukeLBarr
    ·
    26m
    NEW: Ted Kaczynski known as the Unabomber died in his prison cell this morning, according to a BOP spokesperson.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jun/10/uk-weather-thunderstorm-warnings-across-country-as-temperatures-soar

Video of a guardsman after fainting. The band keeps playing and none of the people near him help. This country is fucking weird sick.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Civil War latest:

Calgie
    @christiancalgie
    EXCLUSIVE: A frontrunner to be the Tory candidate for London mayor, Samuel Kasumu, has been blocked and has not even made the candidate long list.

His team is accusing CCHQ of blocking him because of close links to Boris Johnson.

Tough titties mate.

Yes, its factional, but complaints of this nature ultimately boil down to a sense of entitlement to be on a list. If he'd made the list and then not got it no doubt he'd be complaining on the same basis - so why not just exclude him now?
    From his Telegraph puff piece, Kasumu does not seem that close to Boris. Apparently he had a falling out with Kemi Badenoch, though.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/06/03/samuel-kasumu-london-mayoral-election/ (£££)
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    Matt Lucas must be gutted.
    He impersonates BorIs and does that girl that goes "Yeah but, no but."
    The 2 characters have become one.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jun/10/uk-weather-thunderstorm-warnings-across-country-as-temperatures-soar

Video of a guardsman after fainting. The band keeps playing and none of the people near him help. This country is fucking weird sick.

Fainting is embarrassing but not usually dangerous. I doubt the guardsman would want a fuss. On a serious note, maybe the army should look into wearing cooling packs when the mercury heads north.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Fainting is embarrassing but not usually dangerous. I doubt the guardsman would want a fuss. On a serious note, maybe the army should look into wearing cooling packs when the mercury heads north.
    But the normal human thing to do is, you know, check?
    And that music. It's just surreal.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183
    Farooq said:

I think that would happen in any self-respecting military in the world. Military personnel can’t just stop what they’re doing (having been specifically ordered to do it) whatever the circumstances
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,396
    This little rustic corner of Pennsylvania (near the Virginia border) is definitely Trump Country, FWIW

Lots of “don’t blame me I voted for Trump” placards outside houses. Even the odd Confederate flag

Slightly unexpected. In my simplistic British way I always presume Trump supporters are way inland and further south. America is such a patchwork
  • Options
    Westie said:

Omnium said:

Farooq said:

Yokes said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yeah but with who?

Trump's not a fool. Nor is he all wrong. What he is, is insane. That amount of "positive thinking" (see Norman Vincent Peale) can drive a person insane and there's a literature on it. In his case that's not the whole of the causation, though.
    Nor is he the most astute and brave observer of our age.
    I don't know how closely you've looked at him. If you haven't done so already, you might read up on how he rates "Memories, Dreams, Reflections" by Carl Gustav Jung, not omitting to consider the God-sent turd that Jung writes about in it near the beginning. His engaging in name-calling is (in his mind) Jung-inspired.
    Dunno about judging or misjudging, but there's a lot out there about this guy and how he thinks. I studied him in depth in 2016.
    I bet on Trump to win in 2016 (more exactly, on Clinton to lose, because if Trump wasn't going to win I thought he'd drop out) and then on him to lose in 2020. Haven't formed a view yet on 2024. I'm sure he's pleased that Biden has said he'll stand for re-election.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,971
    Farooq said:

It’s in the glorious tradition of the Thin Red Lie-down.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270

eek said:

Tres said:

What 47% of people think Sunak means by halving inflation...
    https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1667509473953316865?cxt=HHwWgoCw6YPCl6QuAAAA

Yep, inflation is like acceleration, people think it’s connected to speed and not the rate of change of the speed
    To be fair, inflation is an aggregate measure, so "halving inflation" might mean the prices of some things actually coming down.

Humour me if you will, as my head is starting to hurt.

If we go back to the speed example, which I like, halving the rate of speed increase (inflation) means having achieved a hundred miles an hour in ten seconds then reaching just 150 mph in the next ten seconds.then the rate of increase/ inflation has dropped by half in the next 10 seconds. The speed may only rise to 175 mph and in the next ten seconds 182.5 mph. This after that initial acceleration the speed inflation remains constant but your
    top speed is ever rising.

So how does halving inflation mean prices come down. Until the denominator reaches a point of zero inflation, won't the prices always increase?
  • Options
    Leon said:

This little rustic corner of Pennsylvania (near the Virginia border) is definitely Trump Country, FWIW

Lots of “don’t blame me I voted for Trump” placards outside houses. Even the odd Confederate flag

Slightly unexpected. In my simplistic British way I always presume Trump supporters are way inland and further south. America is such a patchwork

They exist (or existed last time I was there) in plenty of spots in New England too, despite its overall leanings
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    dixiedean said:

"Oh, my god, I SO cannot believe you said that!"
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xeJk8EKPHE

I love LBC's Legal Hour lol
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

I think that would happen in any self-respecting military in the world. Military personnel can’t just stop what they’re doing (having been specifically ordered to do it) whatever the circumstances
    Not when you're doing something of vital importance, maybe.

But they're playing trombones.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Farooq said:

It’s in the glorious tradition of the Thin Red Lie-down.
    The thin red line on the floor.

(Aren't they actually ordered not to respond to such an incident?)
  • Options
    Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

They probably have medals for that.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

eek said:

Tres said:

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1667509473953316865?cxt=HHwWgoCw6YPCl6QuAAAA

Yep, inflation is like acceleration, people think it’s connected to speed and not the rate of change of the speed
    To be fair, inflation is an aggregate measure, so "halving inflation" might mean the prices of some things actually coming down.

If we go back to the speed example, which I like, halving the rate of speed increase (inflation) means having achieved a hundred miles an hour in ten seconds then reaching just 150 mph in the next ten seconds.then the rate of increase/ inflation has dropped by half in the next 10 seconds. The speed may only rise to 175 mph and in the next ten seconds 182.5 mph. This after that initial acceleration the speed inflation remains constant but your

So how does halving inflation mean prices come down. Until the denominator reaches a point of zero inflation, won't the prices always increase?
    If prices are coming down in a month, the annual level will reduce, not reverse, but prices are still falling. They are higher than at the start of the year (so inflation) but the percentage rate was lower than in previous months.

However, until they've fallen back to below where they started (deflation) they are still higher. So kicking the can on pay rises doesn't help in the end.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

Armies tend not to like soldiers deciding for themselves what is or is not important. When the chips are down, they want our soldiers to keep shooting at the enemy even when the sensible thing is to run away into the forest. Maybe the colonel could have noticed it was a bit warm out and arranged some sort of contingency plan.
  • Options

eek said:

Tres said:

It doesn't. If inflation is positive, prices in bulk are going up. But some prices will be rising faster than others, and some might even be falling. It's the bulk that counts.

Take a beach. If the tide is coming in, the water level is generally rising. But in one place it might be falling due to a wave just having passed. Of course, it's rising in more places than it's falling.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,560
    edited June 2023
    dixiedean said:

Vicky Pollard.
    AKA Suella rather than Boris, on gender grounds.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

It's the other way round.

PS Service personnel follow orders regardless of what they consider to be mission importance.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,914
    Leon said:

I came across some in Maine and in California - being a "hiker" means you often come across people out in the sticks with views contrary to your hosts (neo-nazi naturalist in the Tatras another example).

Even in cities though: one of my neighbours is a right wing columnist and I live in the most fervently left wing part of Edinburgh.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

That’s not the way it works. Soldiers can’t judge for yourself themselves if a lawful order is of vital importance and prioritise accordingly. That’s what military discipline is all about. That’s true in all armies, at least the ones that function properly, not just the British one. I’m no soldier but being on parade, which is what they were doing, I understand has a role in promoting that discipline so military types may say it is of vital importance. Saying they’re not helping just because they’re from this specific country is plain wrong.
  • Options

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

Armies tend not to like soldiers deciding for themselves what is or is not important. When the chips are down, they want our soldiers to keep shooting at the enemy even when the sensible thing is to run away into the forest. Maybe the colonel could have noticed it was a bit warm out and arranged some sort of contingency plan.
    Yes, I understand why. I'm just saying it leads to inhuman behaviour.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

That’s not the way it works. Soldiers can’t judge for yourself themselves if a lawful order is of vital importance and prioritise accordingly. That’s what military discipline is all about. That’s true in all armies, at least the ones that function properly, not just the British one. I’m no soldier but being on parade, which is what they were doing, I understand has a role in promoting that discipline so military types may say it is of vital importance. Saying they’re not helping just because they’re from this specific country is plain wrong.
    Most countries don't put people out in the hot sunshine wearing enormous fur hats though!
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,230

Luke Barr
    @LukeLBarr
    ·
    26m
    NEW: Ted Kaczynski known as the Unabomber died in his prison cell this morning, according to a BOP spokesperson.

The manifesto, for bedtime reading:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/longterm/unabomber/manifesto.text.htm
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,654
    edited June 2023

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

No googling!

Taliesin?

Reading up a little Taliesin was early FLW - 1911, whilst Fallingwater was 1935 (FLW was 67).

I *think* the distinctive in the piccie shown is that horizontally orientated windows are a later feature of FLW, whilst early on he was aiui doing more like bands of squarer casement windows inspired by "prairie" houses.

Taliesin:

• Options
    Leon said:

Near the WEST Virginia border.

West Virginians are used to being ignored and/or mistook in this manner.

As for unexpected Trump support in - of all places - Pennsylvania, check out this (paywalled?) map:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/upshot/2020-election-map.html

As you can (or cannot) see, area that Leon's currently infesting, is mostly angry shades of red(ass) with only significant batches of blue in Pittsburgh to the north and Morgantown, WEST Virginia to the south.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

Most countries don't put people out in the hot sunshine wearing enormous fur hats though!
    I find it hard to believe many countries do not have soldiers in inappropriate gear in hot weather.

That's not to say it may not be a problem, but it seems a poor case to do a 'woe is the UK' about.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,962
    carnforth said:

Luke Barr
    @LukeLBarr
    ·
    26m

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/longterm/unabomber/manifesto.text.htm
    “Imagine a society that subjects people to conditions that make them terribly unhappy then gives them the drugs to take away their unhappiness. Science fiction? It is already happening to some extent in our own society. Instead of removing the conditions that make people depressed modern society gives them antidepressant drugs. In effect antidepressants are a means of modifying an individual's internal state in such a way as to enable him to tolerate social conditions that he would otherwise find intolerable.”

The guy was, for obvious reasons, barking mad, but he made some good points about the modern condition, and how people aren't biologically geared to live the way we live now.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Luke Barr
    @LukeLBarr
    ·
    26m

Just glancing at it, some of that stuff about "leftists" doesn't half remind me of the way a couple of people on here talk. If HYUFD is a large language model, he for sure was trained in part on this.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,235
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

I find it hard to believe many countries do not have soldiers in inappropriate gear in hot weather.

That's not to say it may not be a problem, but it seems a poor case to do a 'woe is the UK' about.
    Far more concerned about hot weather exercises in the Brecons etc leading to deaths, than someone fainting on parade.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,482

kle4 said:

Will be interesting how many front pages run with how divided Labour is and having a civil war meltdown.
  • Options
    Travel tip for Leon - IF you plan your route rightly (or wrongly depending on perspective, you can drive across the State of Maryland in a few minutes, at Hancock where distance is just 5 miles or so, between Mason-Dixon line (PA-MD border) to the north, and the North Branch of Potomac River (MD-WV border) to the south.

Years ago on a road trip, did just that with a friend of mine.

Since the statute of limitation expired long ago, can confess we celebrated the occasion by smoking a tri-state spliff.
  • Options
    I have placed political bets before the narrative settles and odds tighten. Uxbridge is a near certain win for Sunak in my opinion, because of the number of people of Indian heritage who can vote in Uxbridge.

Mid staffs I see as toss up, but I have placed the bet on Lib Dem’s, because their by election machine not let me down in the past, and Boris Tories actually want to give Rishi a bloody nose.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,654
    edited June 2023
    Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

Soon to be a casualty of global warming?

Except the bears.

Did Paddington comment on hats made from bears?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

Which ones? I remember seen Greek ones but that were furry bobbles on the toes... funny but not mad. I've tried googling a few other countries and I don't see much in the way of giant furry hats. It's insane. It's literally mad. We are a mad country.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,497

Farooq said:

Isn't it about sweating out too much salt?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,106
    Farooq said:

eek said:

Tres said:

It doesn't. If inflation is positive, prices in bulk are going up. But some prices will be rising faster than others, and some might even be falling. It's the bulk that counts.

Take a beach. If the tide is coming in, the water level is generally rising. But in one place it might be falling due to a wave just having passed. Of course, it's rising in more places than it's falling.
    Yes, and it's also how you measure it that counts.

Inflation is based on a representative basket of goods but no two individuals will have exactly the same pattern of purchases so when there is volatility, one person might be experiencing relatively stable prices, another might be seeing increases, and another might be seeing price falls.
  • Options

I have placed political bets before the narrative settles and odds tighten. Uxbridge is a near certain win for Sunak in my opinion, because of the number of people of Indian heritage who can vote in Uxbridge.

Mid staffs I see as toss up, but I have placed the bet on Lib Dem’s, because their by election machine not let me down in the past, and Boris Tories actually want to give Rishi a bloody nose.

How many people of Indian heritage can vote in Uxbridge?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

carnforth said:

Luke Barr
    @LukeLBarr
    ·
    26m

Just glancing at it, some of that stuff about "leftists" doesn't half remind me of the way a couple of people on here talk. If HYUFD is a large language model, he for sure was trained in part on this.
    Talking of manifesto’s, if you are in Scotland, why are you using a Forest Green Rovers avatar - they are the just stop oil hooligans over in West Country somewhere, who are underwriting Labours next general election and writing the Labour manifesto!
  • Options
    Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

No, but many have parades in equally inappropriate whether and dress. In India the school I worked at had close links with the local military bases and I saw teenage cadet soldiers parade in insane temperatures (hotter than London today) wearing some form of hat with huge feathers on it. That was miserable just watching in a short sleeved shirt in the shade.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,915
    edited June 2023
    carnforth said:

Luke Barr
    @LukeLBarr
    ·
    26m

I'm reading "Values, Voice and Virtue" at the moment. They do have a similar style (although to be fair to Goodwin, he's not ever going to be a bomber)
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Based on all the vox popping on TV news it’s like down town Delhi!

If you disagree with me and feel Labour have a chance of beating the Sunak fan club in Uxbridge, by all means place your own bet.
  • Options

Farooq said:

carnforth said:

Luke Barr
    @LukeLBarr
    ·
    26m

Talking of manifesto’s, if you are in Scotland, why are you using a Forest Green Rovers avatar - they are the just stop oil hooligans over in West Country somewhere, who are underwriting Labours next general election and writing the Labour manifesto!
    They were very nice when they played Ipswich this season. Particularly given we did the double over them. Not hard TBF.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

Which ones? I remember seen Greek ones but that were furry bobbles on the toes... funny but not mad. I've tried googling a few other countries and I don't see much in the way of giant furry hats. It's insane. It's literally mad. We are a mad country.
    I said inappropriate gear specifically because it can be a wider matter. Breastplates, multiple layers, constricting garb, helmets, it's all the same thing, as DougSeal notes.

Your principal issue now seems to be that they have silly hats, which is undoubtedly true, and I'm sure did not help one bit, but the issue of concern was presumably more about them being in hot weather in outfits which are not conducive to that environment rather than the specifics of the attire.
  • Options

Farooq said:

carnforth said:

Luke Barr
    @LukeLBarr
    ·
    26m

I have this as my avatar because months and months ago I saw someone bitterly and angrily denouncing them for reasons I couldn't begin to comprehend. It was quite funny and so I changed my avatar.

Oddly, I don't remember them mentioning anything about JSO. They seemed to be angry about vegetarianism. I can't resist that kind of bait so it was my gentle fuck you to all that nonsense.

I'm very pleased to note that there are even more reasons it might annoy. It should not be taken as endorsement of the Labour Party, though, but I don't think anybody normal would leap to that conclusion.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Uxbridge is in LB Hillingdon. You can get a fair idea from the below link-

https://www.hillingdon.gov.uk/article/6618/Who-lives-in-the-borough
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    Farooq said:

9%. Even if we assume they are heavily Tory, say 6-3, I doubt if it will be enough.
  • Options

Farooq said:

eek said:

Tres said:

Yes, and it's also how you measure it that counts.

Inflation is based on a representative basket of goods but no two individuals will have exactly the same pattern of purchases so when there is volatility, one person might be experiencing relatively stable prices, another might be seeing increases, and another might be seeing price falls.
    Yeah, that's a really good point
  • Options
    Leon said:

PICTURE QUIZ

where am I? There are enough clues in here to guess

I’m playing catch up. I know the answer has already been established, but… Fallingwater is one of the most outstanding pieces of architecture I’ve ever seen. That being said… I have to say that Kentuck Knob is just as magnificent. The low profile of the latter is reminiscent of some Australian and New Zealand architecture (the Napier Wallace house in Melbourne.)
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,082
    He bravely ran away...

“Three courts decide the fate of a politician. There is the House, there is the privileges committee and there is the electorate — and Boris has decided that he doesn’t want to face any of them.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-goes-down-swinging-these-people-are-only-in-parliament-because-of-me-s9qr55l6r
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,278
    J.D. Vance on Trump and documents:

J.D. Vance
    @JDVance1
    ·
    3h
    My message to conservatives: this is the most important thing that’s happened in our government in at least a decade. I think you should vote for Trump. But whoever your candidate is, if the opposition can use the legal system like this with no consequence, the Republic is over.

https://twitter.com/JDVance1/status/1667537109056385024
  • Options

Farooq said:

9%. Even if we assume they are heavily Tory, say 6-3, I doubt if it will be enough.
    I assume you're using the census figures for Hindus as a proxy, but it's not quite the question I asked. Reason why it might be different is the census might have a disproportionate number of non-voters in that area (foreign, under 18). Also there maybe people of Indian heritage who don't identify as Hindu.
    Correct me if my assumption about your 9% figure is wrong, I assumed that because it's the same figure I was looking at earlier with regards to HYUFD's Hindus-vote-for-Sunak thesis.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,903
    I tend to think the betting for the two by-elections is under estimating the Tories chances. I’m not convinced punters are looking at this logically and seem to have been caught up in all the drama .
  • Options

Farooq said:

Isn't it about sweating out too much salt?
    Reducing the temperature will reduce sweating but I suspect the immediate problem is a drop in blood pressure as veins expand in an effort to cool the body. Either way, cooling should help. Ask Foxy when he is next around.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

I assume you're using the census figures for Hindus as a proxy, but it's not quite the question I asked. Reason why it might be different is the census might have a disproportionate number of non-voters in that area (foreign, under 18). Also there maybe people of Indian heritage who don't identify as Hindu.
    Correct me if my assumption about your 9% figure is wrong, I assumed that because it's the same figure I was looking at earlier with regards to HYUFD's Hindus-vote-for-Sunak thesis.
    Happy to have you on my side for once, but don’t forget who’s the boss.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

Uxbridge is in LB Hillingdon. You can get a fair idea from the below link-

https://www.hillingdon.gov.uk/article/6618/Who-lives-in-the-borough
    Ok, would be interesting to know how many of them are eligible to vote too, but I don't have much hope anyone has those figures.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

You are an arse or the worst order.

A list of the other countries that use bearskin caps, including Canada, Sweden, Sri Lanka (notably chilly there) and Belgium, is at the below link -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bearskin

You are the reason why the left in the U.K. gets nowhere. You think that insulting the country is the best way of winning votes.
  • Options
    @TimesRadio
    "'If you give me my honours list, nod it through, I will come campaign for you in the Red Wall seats.'"

Tim Shipman explains how 'Peace talks' between Rishi Sunak and Boris Johnson descended into chaos, and led to the former PM's dramatic resignation.

https://twitter.com/TimesRadio/status/1667590648759820291
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,863
    edited June 2023
    Sadly I guessed Falling Water as soon as I saw the first photo but I am some hours too late.

I’m not surprised it is Trump country.
    As far as I can tell, Leon is actually in Northern Appalachia.

Although I’d previously thought it purely southern hillbilly high country, Appalachia actually continues north and really only peters out in New York State with the Catskills.

There’s a kind of isobar in the Catskills where the bitter people with guns meet the hipster Brooklyn refugees, leftover Bob Dylan wannabes, abandoned Jewish holiday camps, and yoghurt-knitting lesbians.
  • Options

Leon said:

PICTURE QUIZ

I’m playing catch up. I know the answer has already been established, but… Fallingwater is one of the most outstanding pieces of architecture I’ve ever seen. That being said… I have to say that Kentuck Knob is just as magnificent. The low profile of the latter is reminiscent of some Australian and New Zealand architecture (the Napier Wallace house in Melbourne.)
    Those tree trunks are quite slender. Was there a recentish forest fire?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,903

J.D. Vance on Trump and documents:

J.D. Vance
    @JDVance1
    ·
    3h
    My message to conservatives: this is the most important thing that’s happened in our government in at least a decade. I think you should vote for Trump. But whoever your candidate is, if the opposition can use the legal system like this with no consequence, the Republic is over.

https://twitter.com/JDVance1/status/1667537109056385024

The GOP are deranged . At this point Trump could be caught on camera shooting someone and they’ll still be bending over and taking Trumps micro dick !

I have a zero tolerance for Trump supporters. They should all be sterilized so they can’t further pollute the US gene pool.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

carnforth said:

Luke Barr
    @LukeLBarr
    ·
    26m

I have this as my avatar because months and months ago I saw someone bitterly and angrily denouncing them for reasons I couldn't begin to comprehend. It was quite funny and so I changed my avatar.

Oddly, I don't remember them mentioning anything about JSO. They seemed to be angry about vegetarianism. I can't resist that kind of bait so it was my gentle fuck you to all that nonsense.

I'm very pleased to note that there are even more reasons it might annoy. It should not be taken as endorsement of the Labour Party, though, but I don't think anybody normal would leap to that conclusion.
    That was probably me banging on about vegetarianism, because vegetarianism is completely stupid.

Is a football club both brainwashing vegetarian is good as well as just stop oil?

Something is very wrong here! If we tolerate Forest Green Rovers our own children could be next. 😠
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@TimesRadio
    "'If you give me my honours list, nod it through, I will come campaign for you in the Red Wall seats.'"

Tim Shipman explains how 'Peace talks' between Rishi Sunak and Boris Johnson descended into chaos, and led to the former PM's dramatic resignation.

https://twitter.com/TimesRadio/status/1667590648759820291

Cock-up rather than conspiracy. It's like the start of the First World War.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

carnforth said:

Luke Barr
    @LukeLBarr
    ·
    26m

That was probably me banging on about vegetarianism, because vegetarianism is completely stupid.

Is a football club both brainwashing vegetarian is good as well as just stop oil?

Something is very wrong here! If we tolerate Forest Green Rovers our own children could be next. 😠
    They’re not very good though. Why kick a club when they’re down?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

carnforth said:

Luke Barr
    @LukeLBarr
    ·
    26m

They’re not very good though. Why kick a club when they’re down?
    That’s a bit like saying, why kick Michael Foot’s walking stick away.

Because we don’t like them, I suppose.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Farooq said:

Based on all the vox popping on TV news it’s like down town Delhi!

If you disagree with me and feel Labour have a chance of beating the Sunak fan club in Uxbridge, by all means place your own bet.
    I actually don't know. London is a long way away and a bit alien from my village in Aberdeenshire.

The reason I come in with targeted questions when you and HYUFD speak up about this sort of thing is because I'm reasonably suspicious of the ethnicity-as-driver narrative and I want to make sure that people aren't seeing effects that aren't there, or exaggerating them if they are there. The absolute bare minimum is that we establish what the baseline population looks like before we can get into the weeks of analysing it. Then we need a coherent narrative to test, then we need to test it.

In the little bit of superficial digging I did earlier, I found the example of Watford which seemed to me a similar (ethnic) profile and showed an as-expected diminution of the Tory vote (11 percent down). It didn't lead me to believe that Uxbridge would buck the national trend on the basis of Hindu voters.

Now this evening you're on a similar thread, albeit Indian heritage voters. I'm not firmly saying you're wrong, but what little I know makes me doubt your idea.

The funny thing is, when I asked these questions earlier, Casino came steaming in and made an absolute tit of himself thinking that it was me pushing the ethnicity-as-driver argument when I was gently trying to undermine it.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,533
    So either Sunak tried to play 4D chess and it blew up in his face and/or Boris Johnson didn't listen properly.

Dorries, Sharma and Adams were removed by Holac because, under the rules, for them to remain on Johnson’s list they would have had to have resigned as MPs within six months. None of them signalled to Holac they would do so. That left them with only one alternative: that Sunak would, at a later date and in his own name, formally nominate them for peerages. He was not prepared to do so.

This technical process appears to have been lost on Johnson and his nominees, who were under the mistaken belief they could be automatically re-vetted every six months without needing to be renominated as long as they announced they were standing down before the election.

Both Dorries and Sharma sought to get clarification from No 10 and Holac. “That information was deliberately withheld,” said one of the would-be peers. “If anyone had said to us that we needed to stand down to be on the list, that is what we would have done. They withheld the process to stop by-elections and look what has happened. I think there was something much more devious and sinister about it. They want Boris and his allies out of Westminster.”

Dorries first got wind that there might be a problem around 7pm on Thursday, when a journalist contacted her having been tipped off by someone in No 10. In conversations with a senior minister on Friday morning, she is understood to have repeatedly stated that Johnson had been given personal assurances that she could be re-vetted and nominated at a later date. She was informed he was in no position to be giving her personal assurances, and that she would have needed to have either resigned already, or have notified Holac of her intention to do so.

Dorries then asked whether it was possible for her to be put back on the list if she resigned that day. The answer was no. She then asked whether Sunak would submit her name for a peerage at the next election in 2024. She was told he would not be making personal assurances to anyone. She resigned hours later.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-goes-down-swinging-these-people-are-only-in-parliament-because-of-me-s9qr55l6r

I'm leaning on both.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

carnforth said:

Luke Barr
    @LukeLBarr
    ·
    26m

Well, I'm more tolerant of veggies than you, but I do eat meat. Nothing quite like rabbit stew.
  • Options

Sadly I guessed Falling Water as soon as I saw the first photo but I am some hours too late.

I’m not surprised it is Trump country.
    As far as I can tell, Leon is actually in Northern Appalachia.

Although I’d previously thought it purely southern hillbilly high country, Appalachia actually continues north and really only peters out in New York State with the Catskills.

There’s a kind of isobar in the Catskills where the bitter people with guns meet the hipster Brooklyn refugees, leftover Bob Dylan wannabes, abandoned Jewish holiday camps, and yoghurt-knitting lesbians.

Culturally "Northern Appalachia" is quite different from Appalachia proper (or improper if you prefer). Both with lots of Scots-Irish heritage, ditto German, but one is definitely NORTHERN in way the other is NOT.

Have personally lived in, and with, both - the difference is pretty stark really.

But plenty of lifestyle, economic, ideological and political similarity these days.

However, in the Pennsylvania Outback, between Pittsburgh and Harrisburg - famously called "Alabama with coal mines" by James Carvel) there are damn few of the hipsters, etc. cited for Catskills. Except for State College = home of Pennsylvania State University, aka Penn State NOT to be confused with Trump's alma mater (sorta) the University of Pennsylvania (in Philly).
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,533
    After the meeting with Sunak, Johnson messaged Nadine Dorries to say: “Just finished the meeting with Rishi. List being published imminently. You’re on it.” When it finally dropped on Friday, it was shorn of peerages for Dorries, Adams and Sharma, as well as gongs for two Tory donors, David Ross and Stuart Marks.

A Johnson ally accused Sunak of “a sleight of hand we regard as deceitful”, accusing him of being “clever-clever” and misreading the politics. “He thinks he’s being very clever when he’s being very stupid. He’s like a shit batsman who completely misreads the delivery.” Another accused Sunak of sophistry and speaking in tongues.

The problem for Johnson is that the only person taking notes was the Sunak aide. In this account, Sunak said to Johnson: “I don’t want you to leave this room thinking I have made you a promise as that will be a problem in our relationship going forward.”
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362

So either Sunak tried to play 4D chess and it blew up in his face and/or Boris Johnson didn't listen properly.

Dorries, Sharma and Adams were removed by Holac because, under the rules, for them to remain on Johnson’s list they would have had to have resigned as MPs within six months. None of them signalled to Holac they would do so. That left them with only one alternative: that Sunak would, at a later date and in his own name, formally nominate them for peerages. He was not prepared to do so.

This technical process appears to have been lost on Johnson and his nominees, who were under the mistaken belief they could be automatically re-vetted every six months without needing to be renominated as long as they announced they were standing down before the election.

Both Dorries and Sharma sought to get clarification from No 10 and Holac. “That information was deliberately withheld,” said one of the would-be peers. “If anyone had said to us that we needed to stand down to be on the list, that is what we would have done. They withheld the process to stop by-elections and look what has happened. I think there was something much more devious and sinister about it. They want Boris and his allies out of Westminster.”

Dorries first got wind that there might be a problem around 7pm on Thursday, when a journalist contacted her having been tipped off by someone in No 10. In conversations with a senior minister on Friday morning, she is understood to have repeatedly stated that Johnson had been given personal assurances that she could be re-vetted and nominated at a later date. She was informed he was in no position to be giving her personal assurances, and that she would have needed to have either resigned already, or have notified Holac of her intention to do so.

Dorries then asked whether it was possible for her to be put back on the list if she resigned that day. The answer was no. She then asked whether Sunak would submit her name for a peerage at the next election in 2024. She was told he would not be making personal assurances to anyone. She resigned hours later.

I'm leaning on both.

House of Lords = House of Unelected Has-Beens!
  • Options

Penn State NOT to be confused with Trump's alma mater (sorta) the University of Pennsylvania (in Philly).

The UPenn folks get REALLY snippy about that for some reason...
  • Options

Leon said:

PICTURE QUIZ

Those tree trunks are quite slender. Was there a recentish forest fire?
    Looks pretty much like standard eastern deciduous USA forest to me.

Bigger trees tend not to grow right up against streams. Also possible trees may have been thinned out near house, in part to lessen fire danger.

But like I just said, looks pretty normal to me, a native (sorta) of those woods.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    Boris Johnson and Rishi Sunak held secret 'peace talks' meeting | Tim Shipman

https://youtu.be/8NFo3HctQ-o

It is blindingly obvious that Boris Johnson should never have been allowed to stand to be the leader of the Tory Party. It is a disgrace that Tory MPs voted for him in the first place.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Farooq said:

You are an arse or the worst order.

A list of the other countries that use bearskin caps, including Canada, Sweden, Sri Lanka (notably chilly there) and Belgium, is at the below link -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bearskin

You are the reason why the left in the U.K. gets nowhere. You think that insulting the country is the best way of winning votes.
    I resent that.

Not the "arse" thing, that's fair game. No, it's the accusation that criticising this country is the province of the left. I'm a dyed in the bearskin wool liberal. Not left or right, centre. Centre liberal. With a penchant for needling at British shibboleths. If you want to use me as evidence that you shouldn't vote for left-wing parties good. I don't want you to vote for leftist parties.

And Doug. Mate. Cheer up. It's a lovely warm evening. Have a bear beer. But don't get dehydrated, eh lad?
This discussion has been closed.