Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Can the LDs become the 3rd party once again? – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,776

Leon said:

Leon said:

I find this EXTREMELY hard to believe. It's like they've "done a Telegraph" and shifted a decimal point

"The numbers who speak Irish increased by 6pc between 2016 and 2022 to 1,873,997.

Of the people who said they could speak Irish, 623,961 spoke Irish daily within and outside the education system."
    Yes, that made me smile too, but then a lot of government jobs would require Irish at some level.However actual use of the language on a daily claim they basis as tbeir first language has always been small. Its telling that after 100 years only a third of tjhe population can speak the language.
    I simply don't believe a third of Irish people have a good command of Gaelic, nor that 620,000 use it daily and naturally

The only way you can reach that number is if you include everyone speaking it at school/college in Gaelic classes - and on that basis you could say 5m Brits speak French, Spanish or German daily - and maybe a few civil servants who need a few phrases

It's a ludicrous statistic
    In vaguely related old twit news..

Fesshole 🧻
    @fesshole

I'm an Irish speaker in a very loyalist part of Norn Iron. Back in uni I used to write to my local council annoymously and request government documents be translated to Irish which they had to do. As the only Irish speaker in the area they came to me. Basically paid for my uni.
    10:25 PM · Jul 8, 2021

https://twitter.com/fesshole/status/1413247777904238593
    Not sure they did have to (unless it was within the last year)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_and_Language_(Northern_Ireland)_Act_2022
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862

DougSeal said:

Something Big G and MoonRabbit to get excited over.

Labour leads by 17% in the Red Wall.

Red Wall VI (28 May):

Labour 48% (-4)
    Conservative 31% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 7% (–)
    Reform UK 7% (–)
    Green 4% (–)
    Plaid Cymru 1% (–)
    Other 1% (+1)

Changes +/- 14 May

Starmer leads Sunak by 8%, his largest lead in the Red Wall since 7 March

At this moment, which of the following do Red Wall voters think would be the better PM for the UK? (28 May)

Starmer 41% (+3)
    Sunak 33% (–)
    Don't Know 26% (-3)

Changes +/- 14 May

Rishi Sunak's approval rating in the Red Wall is -7%, his joint-highest approval rating in these seats in 2023.

Rishi Sunak Red Wall Net Approval Rating (28 May):

Disapprove: 39% (-2)
    Approve: 32% (+4)
    Net: -7% (+6)

Changes +/- 14 May

Keir Starmer's approval rating in the Red Wall is +1%, his lowest approval rating in these seats since 4 September 2022 (-5%).

Keir Starmer Red Wall Net Approval Rating (28 May):

Approve: 32% (-3)
    Disapprove: 31% (–)
    Net: +1% (-3)

Changes +/- 14 May

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton

Somewhere BJO is opening his browser...
    Did he explain yesterday's polling?
    I believe he was at Wembley watching the mighty Owls get promoted and was then drinking Bedford dry for the next 6 hours
    By contrast Wes Streeting was on another jolly to Israel, where he supports and endorses their private health insurance system where participation in a medical insurance plan is compulsory
    They have this in Australia.
    It seems to work quite well.

It would be shit if Streeting wasn’t interested in how other countries deal with running a public health system.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Off Topic can any JDW Fans please explain how Tim Martins pubs can sell a pint of Ruddles Bitter for £1.51
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    edited May 2023
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

I know Oxford has lower standards than, say, Cambridge, but how does someone this stupid get in?

https://twitter.com/RobertBea/status/1663592272972087309

You can now get into colleges like Lady Margaret Hall at Oxford with just 3 Bs at A level if you are assessed as a 'disadvantaged' student who went to a state school. Cambridge doing similar

https://www.newstatesman.com/quickfire/2022/05/zahawi-misunderstands-why-oxbridge-lowers-grades-for-students-like-me
    Also: both Cambridge and Oxford have been very happy to give EE offers to students who impressed enormously at interview. (And, indeed, I got a EE offer from UCL.)
    Indeed but normally almost all those with such offers went on to get at least 3 As or at worst AAB and such offers are relatively rare.

We are now talking Oxbridge taking students who actually got 3 Bs at A Level. When I was at school those were the type of grades which would be borderline to get into Leeds or Nottingham, let alone Oxbridge.

I am all for encouraging more pupils from non selective state schools to apply to Oxbridge, doing practice interviews etc but I am sceptical of lowering actual entry requirements to pupils not up to the academic standard normally required. Especially if private school pupils who got 3 A grades + are rejected as a result
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

I know Oxford has lower standards than, say, Cambridge, but how does someone this stupid get in?

You can now get into colleges like Lady Margaret Hall at Oxford with just 3 Bs at A level if you are assessed as a 'disadvantaged' student who went to a state school. Cambridge doing similar

https://www.newstatesman.com/quickfire/2022/05/zahawi-misunderstands-why-oxbridge-lowers-grades-for-students-like-me
    At Cambridge, there has historically been a strong correlation between the proportion of state school pupils and the college's position in the Tompkin's table, with Christ's and Trinity usually topping both the proportion of state school kids and the percentage of firsts.

Edit to add: there were - of course - plenty of total imbeciles at Cambridge when I was there. People whom one was staggered had made it through A-Levels at all.
    44% of Trinity college students went to private school, the 4th highest percentage at Cambridge now. 37% of Christ's college students went to private schools as well, the 8th highest private school percentage
    https://thetab.com/uk/2019/10/04/the-oxbridge-colleges-admitting-the-most-private-school-kids-127451
    Those stats are meaningless without knowing how many kids are non-UK. Because only with that data can you work out the private-state ratio.

(And, fwiw, the poorer the college, the more likely you are to have lots of non-UK students to bolster your revenues.)
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054

HYUFD said:

Foreign Secretary James Cleverley says Ukraine has right to 'project force' beyond its borders after drone attack on Moscow.

Bit risky though if we are now providing weapons to attack Russian soil, given Russia is a nuclear weapons power
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/ukraine-james-cleverly-estonia-foreign-secretary-moscow-b1084581.html

yes reckless
    No, not reckless.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Red Wall VI (28 May):

Labour 48% (-4)
    Conservative 31% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 7% (–)
    Reform UK 7% (–)
    Green 4% (–)
    Plaid Cymru 1% (–)
    Other 1% (+1)

Changes +/- 14 May

At this moment, which of the following do Red Wall voters think would be the better PM for the UK? (28 May)

Starmer 41% (+3)
    Sunak 33% (–)
    Don't Know 26% (-3)

Changes +/- 14 May

Rishi Sunak's approval rating in the Red Wall is -7%, his joint-highest approval rating in these seats in 2023.

Changes +/- 14 May

Keir Starmer's approval rating in the Red Wall is +1%, his lowest approval rating in these seats since 4 September 2022 (-5%).

Changes +/- 14 May

I believe he was at Wembley watching the mighty Owls get promoted and was then drinking Bedford dry for the next 6 hours
    By contrast Wes Streeting was on another jolly to Israel, where he supports and endorses their private health insurance system where participation in a medical insurance plan is compulsory
    They have this in Australia.
    It seems to work quite well.

It would be shit if Streeting wasn’t interested in how other countries deal with running a public health system.

Both Stella Creasy and Wes Streeting are attempting to threaten a doctor-led campaign exposing the network of private healthcare firms giving money to politicians.

The fact they're taking such an aggressive stance at being outed tells you exactly what type of people they are.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,899
    Lennon said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

At Cambridge, there has historically been a strong correlation between the proportion of state school pupils and the college's position in the Tompkin's table, with Christ's and Trinity usually topping both the proportion of state school kids and the percentage of firsts.

Edit to add: there were - of course - plenty of total imbeciles at Cambridge when I was there. People whom one was staggered had made it through A-Levels at all.
    In entirely unrelated news, wasn't Kwasi Kwarteng at Trinity the same time as you were. And Suella Braverman at Queens' only a couple of years later... ;)
    If @rcs1000, @IHeartLiz and @DontCallMeSuellen have had a threesome I think we would have heard by now.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007
    edited May 2023

Off Topic can any JDW Fans please explain how Tim Martins pubs can sell a pint of Ruddles Bitter for £1.51

I suspect discounted to get rid of the cask asap.

I seem to remember fairly frequent comments in the past regarding Ruddles being sold cheaply because it had a short date on it.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,001

Cos they squeeze the brewers till they squeak and drive down quality for the sake of price. And because it’s a bitter they can get away with the cheapest possible hopping etc.

In fairness, an odd by product is that because of the throughput Spoons cask is still often better than in brewery-tied pubs.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,776
    This thread has been nationalised
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,001
    Like a lot of drinkers, I’m conflicted on Spoons cos the owner is a bellend* and they have a lot of ropey practices, but they are undeniably providing a social space for people who have not much disposable income but enjoy a beer.

*except that he was right to say publicly that he doesn’t demand that his staff smile and be all fake bonhomie with customers.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Taz said:

DougSeal said:

Red Wall VI (28 May):

Labour 48% (-4)
    Conservative 31% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 7% (–)
    Reform UK 7% (–)
    Green 4% (–)
    Plaid Cymru 1% (–)
    Other 1% (+1)

Changes +/- 14 May

Starmer 41% (+3)
    Sunak 33% (–)
    Don't Know 26% (-3)

Changes +/- 14 May

Changes +/- 14 May

Changes +/- 14 May

Chuffed to bits for Darren Moore. Always seems to be a nice guy. Treated poorly by WBA.
    And by a minority of Owls fans despite his club record 96 pt total, unfortunately.

I was stood next to a DM hater yesterday turned his back as Darren came to our section of fans and refused to join in all the pro Moore chants yet loudly chanted some shit about what he would like to do to the Pope and the IRA

Nearly gave him a stiff talking to but someone else beat me to it
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526

NEW THREAD

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

This is still my favourite Tompkins table correlation.

A graph produced by a Cambridge graduate demonstrates a striking correlation between the wine budgets of Cambridge colleges and the academic attainment of their students.

Kings, St John’s, Trinity and Jesus – the four colleges with an annual wine budget over £200,000 – all obtained more firsts than the collegiate average during the last academic year. With an annual wine expenditure of £14,033 and only 13.2% of students receiving first class degrees, Hughes Hall represents the lowest point on the graph.

King’s College is a notable outlier. Its £338,559 wine budget is the largest of any of the colleges, but it obtained markedly fewer first class degrees than some of its more frugal counterparts. The size of the college’s wine budget has already attracted negative publicity in the weeks since the college’s alcohol outlay was originally made public via a Freedom of Information request. The college’s Living Wage campaigners have adopted the slogan ‘Wages not Wine’ as the rallying cry for their protests.

Grayden Reece-Smith, a student at Churchill College from 2007 to 2010, decided to create the chart after noticing that the colleges with the highest wine budgets were also traditionally those ranked as the best academic performers by in the annual Tompkins Table.

https://www.varsity.co.uk/news/6827
    Quality (of the wine) is better than quantity (consumed)?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Young people are desperately stupid, and getting stupider

There's no denying it any more

Old blokes come out with some stupid shit as well.

Liz Truss would surprise on the upside was quite special as well.
    Watch that video. They are thick as shit
    That's also edited "highlights". Is your daughter smarter or stupider than you were at that age?
    Stupider. All of them are

Also better behaved and politer, and in some ways much nicer and kinder. I was a drunken hoon

But stupider? Absolutely. Their music is shit, their art is shit, they are incapable of original thought, the decline in human intelligence is real, and is accelerating
    Early onset dementia is a terrible thing.
    In some ways I say Bring it on, because witnessing the now-undeniable decline is quite painful

The time is indeed ripe for AI to take over
    We had planned to move house recently, and I found a collection of old school books from when I was 13 to 17 years old. I spent a happy hour going through them, and my conclusion is that my daughter is about 18 months ahead of where I was.

I didn't do calculus until A-Level maths; she's doing it in the equivalent of the old Fourth Year (year nine). My essays - until A-Level - were woeful. She is quite able to write 800 words in proper paragraphs, and with decent structure.

They’re doing calculus in the 4th year these days? Wow, that’s impressive. Lower VI for me too, a few years behind you. I wonder when the change happened?
  • Options

Mostly two reasons:

1. JDW are the largest chain of free houses in the country, so they have enormous buying power.

2. They don’t care an awful lot about what they actually buy, so they’ll pick up whatever hasn’t sold elsewhere, often with only a week or two before it expires, and at a good discount. Beer that would otherwise be given away to make steak and ale pie ready meals.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Also: both Cambridge and Oxford have been very happy to give EE offers to students who impressed enormously at interview. (And, indeed, I got a EE offer from UCL.)
    Slacker. I got a UU offer from UCL.

For those who weren’t around in the 90s, UCL would do this with groups of students with very high predicted grades. According to a prof, the actual results didn’t drop off much, if at all.

Since I’d taken 2 A levels a year early, I got a place on the spot….
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

That's also edited "highlights". Is your daughter smarter or stupider than you were at that age?

Also better behaved and politer, and in some ways much nicer and kinder. I was a drunken hoon

But stupider? Absolutely. Their music is shit, their art is shit, they are incapable of original thought, the decline in human intelligence is real, and is accelerating
    In some ways I say Bring it on, because witnessing the now-undeniable decline is quite painful

We had planned to move house recently, and I found a collection of old school books from when I was 13 to 17 years old. I spent a happy hour going through them, and my conclusion is that my daughter is about 18 months ahead of where I was.

I didn't do calculus until A-Level maths; she's doing it in the equivalent of the old Fourth Year (year nine). My essays - until A-Level - were woeful. She is quite able to write 800 words in proper paragraphs, and with decent structure.

They’re doing calculus in the 4th year these days? Wow, that’s impressive. Lower VI for me too, a few years behind you. I wonder when the change happened?
    It seems to change with the winds. I did calculus as part of my O levels back in the early 80s. Yet my son sitting his GCSEs right now has no calculus even in the higher papers.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Also Robert is in the US. So it depends on what exams his daughter is doing. Is calculus still part of the IB these days?
This discussion has been closed.