Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why I’m betting on 40/1 Nikki Haley for the GOP nomination – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898

73% of Britons, including 58% of Tory voters, think it is likely that Boris Johnson committed further COVID breaches than those he has already been investigated and fined for

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1661367216665681922/photo/1

If someone committed one (or more) after a brief investigation, it seems pretty likely they committed others, even if you like the person involved.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,053
    kle4 said:

73% of Britons, including 58% of Tory voters, think it is likely that Boris Johnson committed further COVID breaches than those he has already been investigated and fined for

If someone committed one (or more) after a brief investigation, it seems pretty likely they committed others, even if you like the person involved.
    Who cares? The sun is shining. Summer is here.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,576
    ping said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-65696801

We need a coherent drugs policy, urgently.

As we have needed one all our lives and have never had one don't hold your breath. (Which of the competing ideas did you have in mind?)
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,294
    edited May 2023
    ydoethur said:

ping said:

Our drugs policy is a disaster.

What would be your undisastrous policy?
    That was quite a smack down.
    Serious topic - quit horsing around.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,525
    kle4 said:

Have to wonder how many of those "don't know"s are "know full well, but don't want to say".
  • Options

It's a rationality test. To be sentient and rational and a UK citizen you have to opt for some version of 'likely'.

• Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited May 2023
    algarkirk said:

ping said:

As we have needed one all our lives and have never had one don't hold your breath. (Which of the competing ideas did you have in mind?)
    See my post, above.

I’m ideologically ambivalent - and our choice is constrained by international policy.

This should be far higher up our political agenda. The debate is completely different to the 90’s/2000’s, given the terrifying shit now being sold on the streets.

This ain’t the weed grown in someone’s shed, that you remember from your youth.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321

kle4 said:

Have to wonder how many of those "don't know"s are "know full well, but don't want to say".
    I would be 'don't know' as well, TBF, because they don't offer 'stone certain.'
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,294
    Eabhal said:

TOPPING said:

wrt the chase it will be interesting to see what happens.

Yesterday passing Parliament Square on a Boris Bike at around 10pm there was a gang of bicycle riding what used to be called hoodlums or thugs (all hoodies and balaclava-ed up) riding all over the pavement, running red lights and generally whooping it up.

In what must be one of the most policed square 500 yards in the country. And on and over they went towards Victoria.

It's the same everywhere. It's why "cyclists" as an encompassing term doesn't work any more.

Mamils
    Dura_ace types
    Europeans (attractive, no helmet, step through bike)
    Commuters (panniers)
    Balaclava gangs (steal mopeds)
    Deliveroo (roughly white van man)
    Cargo bikers (highly fertile, bucket full of kids)
    I'm about to take up cycling - think I'll aim for that 'European' category.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

Interestingly, Sunak recently added that question to the citizenship test that those seeking a British passport must compete.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

TOPPING said:

Yesterday passing Parliament Square on a Boris Bike at around 10pm there was a gang of bicycle riding what used to be called hoodlums or thugs (all hoodies and balaclava-ed up) riding all over the pavement, running red lights and generally whooping it up.

In what must be one of the most policed square 500 yards in the country. And on and over they went towards Victoria.

It's the same everywhere. It's why "cyclists" as an encompassing term doesn't work any more.

Mamils
    Dura_ace types
    Commuters (panniers)
    I've had to put my cycling on hold. The bike can't go anywhere because it's two tyred.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,792
    kle4 said:

The new genre of 'reaction' videos on YouTube could be a symptom of the decline of pop culture. People film themselves watching older performances as if they are encountering an ancient civilisation.

Here's an example of someone reduced to tears by Tori Amos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDo_JliyCoE

They're still doing reaction videos? I thought that would have passed as a trend years ago.
    Are there reaction reaction videos already? If so may I propose the reaction reaction reaction videos genre. Not to mention the further offshoot of filming the bewilderment of middle aged men to the new reaction reaction reaction genre.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,796
    Farooq said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

My older daughter turns 17 today. A complex age for any human. And I immediately thought of the Janis Ian song, and found this exquisite live rendition on The Old Grey Whistle Test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMUz2TNMvL0

Just absolutely spine-tingling. Can you imagine being in that audience and hearing this LIVE for the first time. A cold clear copper bottomed masterpiece of a song. The voice, the guitar work, the immortal tune, the poignant lyrics, everything. Ah, fuck. What 'appened to music?

Great song. Do we always have to include that hangdog 'better in my day' bit at the end though? We're the same age (ish) but my son is double 17. That's 34 (for the non accountants). It's interestingly poised now, our relationship. 62 plays 34. He has a clear edge in almost everything.
    Yes, unfortunately, we do have to include the "better in my day" bit because it is interesting. Because, for the first time in many decades, this tired old meme is provably true and says something important about politics

Thus elevating the comment from "Oooh I have a family moment and here's a nice song" to something a shade more interesting that might make a Gazette piece so I'm trying it out from different angles
    Hmm, ok. I don't agree with you though. I don't think this 'better in my day' (about music) is any different to the standard one about anything else.

And there's nothing wrong with just sharing the family moment!
    Where is the equivalent - post, say, 2010 - of a pop song as exquisite, delicate and moving as "At 17"? It does not exist

Amy Winehouse is much missed. She was the very last of the Golden Age. The Tintoretto of the Pop Music Renaissance

Its a tough challenge. Sunshine on Leith by the Proclaimers?
    https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?q=sunshine+on+leith+&mid=8FC1BD5F3D5D1425F1898FC1BD5F3D5D1425F189
    Great song, but it's 35 years old
    Olivia Rodrigo - drivers license.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_rYWBle1_4
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862
    The Tories are falling apart, according to Sky News.
    Thoughts with Big G at this time.

10:02 - Jackie Doyle-Price: FFS - who on earth is spouting this bonkersness? Are you determined to turn our party into a skip fire?
    10:03 - Anne-Marie Trevelyan: ☝ what Jackie said
    10:06 - Sally-Ann Hart: WTF.
    10:07 - Kevin Foster: Spot on Jackie
    10:15 - Simon Hoare: would the last Tory MP to leave the building please turn off the lights. The nonsense, self-destroying crap has to end or our Party dies.
    10:19 - James Sunderland: These emerging groups, leaks and briefings to the media are helping none of us. All of us already belong to the most successful political grouping ever - It's called the Conservative Party.
    10:29 - Andrea Jenkyns: I don't like leakers, I prefer to say things to peoples face. However it is interesting some of those commenting were happy to speak out publicly against the Boris and Liz administrations. So maybe less sanctimony and hypocrisy. Clearly many in the party are unhappy. But those at the top are not doing anything about this to bring people together.
    10:29 - Robert Goodwill: There are two very simple rules that must be applied in all situations. 1) Does what I say or do make it more or less likely that we will win the General Election? If the answer is yes then do it, if no then don't. 2) Off the record briefings - see above.
    10:32 - Craig Mackinlay: Good advice Sir RG. Never do blue on blue no matter how annoyed one might be.

• Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,144
    edited May 2023

10:02 - Jackie Doyle-Price: FFS - who on earth is spouting this bonkersness? Are you determined to turn our party into a skip fire?
    10:15 - Simon Hoare: would the last Tory MP to leave the building please turn off the lights. The nonsense, self-destroying crap has to end or our Party dies.
    10:19 - James Sunderland: These emerging groups, leaks and briefings to the media are helping none of us. All of us already belong to the most successful political grouping ever - It's called the Conservative Party.
    10:29 - Andrea Jenkyns: I don't like leakers, I prefer to say things to peoples face. However it is interesting some of those commenting were happy to speak out publicly against the Boris and Liz administrations. So maybe less sanctimony and hypocrisy. Clearly many in the party are unhappy. But those at the top are not doing anything about this to bring people together.
    10:29 - Robert Goodwill: There are two very simple rules that must be applied in all situations. 1) Does what I say or do make it more or less likely that we will win the General Election? If the answer is yes then do it, if no then don't. 2) Off the record briefings - see above.
    10:32 - Craig Mackinlay: Good advice Sir RG. Never do blue on blue no matter how annoyed one might be.

Robert Goodwill appears to suggest that you do something if it will make things EITHER better OR worse. If you fear it would be neutral, you should keep schtum. Maybe this is the root of the problem.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,014
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

TOPPING said:

Mamils
    Dura_ace types
    Commuters (panniers)
    I've had to put my cycling on hold. The bike can't go anywhere because it's two tyred.
    Is it the bike or its owner that’s two tyred?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

TOPPING said:

Mamils
    Dura_ace types
    Commuters (panniers)
    Is it the bike or its owner that’s two tyred?
    Well, I definitely need a brake.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,482
    Very attractive, slightly posh young woman at the bar: "Hellooooo, please can I have a pint of your cheapest lager"
    Barman: "We've got Fosters at £3.80, or Estrella or Krombacher for five pounds."
    VASPYW: "I suppose it'll be Estrella then".

Clearly Fosters not even competitive amongst those for whom cheapness is the only criterion.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,129
    kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

TOPPING said:

Mamils
    Dura_ace types
    Commuters (panniers)
    I don't think of myself as a mamil but I am a middle aged man and after initially resisting (and getting chilblanes on my legs from wearing shorts) I now wear lycra cycling leggings other than in summer. So I guess I am a mamil.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,796
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

TOPPING said:

Mamils
    Dura_ace types
    Commuters (panniers)
    You had to puncture this discussion.
  • Options
    sarissa said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

TOPPING said:

Mamils
    Dura_ace types
    Commuters (panniers)
    I hate to brake it to you, but that is a wheely bad joke.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Very attractive, slightly posh young woman at the bar: "Hellooooo, please can I have a pint of your cheapest lager"
    Barman: "We've got Fosters at £3.80, or Estrella or Krombacher for five pounds."
    VASPYW: "I suppose it'll be Estrella then".

Clearly Fosters not even competitive amongst those for whom cheapness is the only criterion.

Are you sure she is attractive, or have you been taking advantage of the £3.80 lager all afternoon?
  • Options
    sarissa said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

TOPPING said:

Mamils
    Dura_ace types
    Commuters (panniers)
    Sorry I spoke.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,014
    ydoethur said:

sarissa said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

TOPPING said:

Mamils
    Dura_ace types
    Commuters (panniers)
    Sorry I spoke.
    Did someone pull your chain?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,343

Why reference me

I fully accept the conservatives are in free fall with the toxicity of Johnson, Truss and Braverman

I regularly attack the right of the party but do support Sunak as he is their best hope to mitigate the next GE

They need to go into opposition but that does not mean I or many others see Starmer as the answer
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    Boris Johnson is a twat. He's bringing down the UK's most successful and oldest party and is taking the country down too. What a moron.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Boris Johnson is a twat.

Universal truth #4
  • Options

Why reference me

I fully accept the conservatives are in free fall with the toxicity of Johnson, Truss and Braverman

I regularly attack the right of the party but do support Sunak as he is their best hope to mitigate the next GE

They need to go into opposition but that does not mean I or many others see Starmer as the answer
    Cons and SNP are getting it now, Lab had it with Corbyn, LDs had it with the Coalition. Its a painful experience for someone who genuinely thinks their party is the best option for the country - or should be if the idiots in Westminster could get their act together.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,710

If the GOP had any sense, which of course they don’t, they’d get behind her for the nomination. Much better chance of winning the centre ground than either DeSantis or Trump.

I think her odds will probably shorten, so a good bet, but fundamentally anyone with a chance of winning the centre ground will be anathema to half the Republican primary voters, if not more. I don’t believe it’s possible to square the circle of satisfying the MAGA/RDS crowd and appealing to the centre ground.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,055

Boris Johnson is a twat. He's bringing down the UK's most successful and oldest party and is taking the country down too. What a moron.

The Conservative Party will survive. It is a revenant; stealing the policies of other parties as times change, continually reinventing itself.

This is why it has remained a political force for well over a century.

But yes, Boris Johnson is both a moron and a tw@t.
  • Options

Why reference me

Cons and SNP are getting it now, Lab had it with Corbyn, LDs had it with the Coalition. Its a painful experience for someone who genuinely thinks their party is the best option for the country - or should be if the idiots in Westminster could get their act together.
    I want the conservatives to return to the one nation party and hope that the right of the party pay the price at GE 24

At my age I am not concerned at the future in politics personally, and certainly I am not excusing the behaviour of Johnson and others

Starmer is well on the way to being the next PM and encountering the reality of the problems this country is facing and a 24 hour 'gotcha news cycle
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

My older daughter turns 17 today. A complex age for any human. And I immediately thought of the Janis Ian song, and found this exquisite live rendition on The Old Grey Whistle Test

Just absolutely spine-tingling. Can you imagine being in that audience and hearing this LIVE for the first time. A cold clear copper bottomed masterpiece of a song. The voice, the guitar work, the immortal tune, the poignant lyrics, everything. Ah, fuck. What 'appened to music?

Great song. Do we always have to include that hangdog 'better in my day' bit at the end though? We're the same age (ish) but my son is double 17. That's 34 (for the non accountants). It's interestingly poised now, our relationship. 62 plays 34. He has a clear edge in almost everything.
    Yes, unfortunately, we do have to include the "better in my day" bit because it is interesting. Because, for the first time in many decades, this tired old meme is provably true and says something important about politics

Thus elevating the comment from "Oooh I have a family moment and here's a nice song" to something a shade more interesting that might make a Gazette piece so I'm trying it out from different angles
    Hmm, ok. I don't agree with you though. I don't think this 'better in my day' (about music) is any different to the standard one about anything else.

In 30 years' time, Leon's daughter will be on here wishing her own son a happy 17th birthday and bemoaning that music isn't as good now as it was back in 2023
    Only if the AI running the country tells her it isn't as good.
    That reminds me that former Vice-President Al Gore hasn't got back to me on my suggestion he release a Hip-Hop album called AlGoreRhythm. It's a political and musical winner and my cut would only be 30%. I'll follow up with him.
  • Options
    ping said:

ping said:

Looks to me like our current approach is the worst of all worlds.

We either need international agreement to go full on war on drugs, or go all in on regulated supply and treatment rooms etc.
    When you say 'drugs', to what do you refer?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270

Boris Johnson has no love, or even interest for the welfare of the Conservative Party. The Conservative Party has merely been a conduit for Boris Johnson's enormous ego to realise it's every whim and ambition.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,382
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Where is the equivalent - post, say, 2010 - of a pop song as exquisite, delicate and moving as "At 17"? It does not exist

Amy Winehouse is much missed. She was the very last of the Golden Age. The Tintoretto of the Pop Music Renaissance
    I've dropped off tracking new releases (being 62) and in any case there's so much product these days on so many platforms you can't get your arms around it as you once could. It used to be that if you were into music and there was a great song released you'd be bound to hear it. The corollary was if you didn't hear something it can't have been that good. This is no longer the case. There's tons of high quality new music now that unless you devote yourself to seeking it out (which you won't at your age) you will not discover. But it's there.

Eg what I've noticed is when I do random deep dives into recent music, or catch it on soundtracks for tv dramas, I come across plenty of absolutely terrific songs. Songs just as good as those on my familiar playlists. Songs whereby I know that if I listened to them a lot, and could associate them with my younger life, thus generating a sweet nostalgia hit, could take their place as 'classics' (for me). I don't have the time or inclination to do this now, so they don't, but they could. They are objectively good enough, is my point.

So although I'd like to agree that the stuff I've curated and love from many moons ago constitutes a 'Golden Age' (because it's nice to believe that), I kind of know that it isn't. It's another heart v head thing, this. Heart says you're right that music used to be better. Head says it's nonsense.
    Absolutely right.

There is some cracking music around right now, just keep Shazam to hand and you can assemble a great playlist by watching mini-series or just being in shops for that matter (perhaps not Fortnums).

As to great pop songs post-2010 try Tash Sultana Jungle (2016) and if I bothered to look I could find zillions more from the past year or three.
    I just checked it out. Sweet song with some pleasantly chiming guitar chords. That’s a nice tune

But I was specifically looking for “a pop song as exquisite, delicate and moving as "At 17"?

And the idea that “Jungle” is that is, with all respect, preposterous

But let others decide. Here they are side by side. Both live versions

Jungle:

https://youtu.be/7wiQpyHgp1Y

At 17:

https://youtu.be/VMUz2TNMvL0

• Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I love that song, and haven't listened to it in decades.
    Thanks for that, and many happy returns to the kid.
    You're welcome, and thankyou on behalf of the kiddo

I have now listened to that Janis Ian live version of At 17 three times over and there is so much that is so well done. Her enunciation is perrrrrfect. She extends the vowels on Vaaaaalentnes and yoooouth in a way which fits the song superbly yet also adds to its plangent sadness in a way I cannot quite understand. That is great art and that is peak singer song-writing. She knows her own song so well, and it is so heartfelt, she can make something sublime out of each delicately voiced word, possibly without even quite knowing she is doing it
    It reminds me of "Only a Prawn in Whitby" by Cud in that respect but not quite as good.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited May 2023

ping said:

ping said:

We either need international agreement to go full on war on drugs, or go all in on regulated supply and treatment rooms etc.
    See the BBC link that your post was replying to, for an example.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Cyclefree said:

Something is not right with this issue of Boris and the lawyers he has apparently sacked.

The facts as I understand them:-

- Last year it was revealed that Boris had instructed Peters & Peters, a firm specialising in fraud and David Pannick KC to advise him in relation to the Standards Committee investigation into him.
    - The government agreed to pay their fees. Why has never been explained.
    - Peters & Peters and Pannick were present when Johnson gave evidence to the Committee.
    - Now we are told that Cabinet office lawyers have been advising him. Why?
    - What happened to Peters & Peters? Government lawyers advise the government not backbench MPs.
    - If they are advising Boris in his capacity as PM in respect of actions done as PM and the government is paying, it is not for him to sack them. He can refuse to be advised by them but then he should be paying for his own lawyers. But no, apparently we are paying. Again, why?

We are not being told the full story I think.

I thought P&P were handling the Parliamentary inquiry into his lying, but the Cabinet Office lawyers are handling the COVID-19 Inquiry.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    ping said:

ping said:

You don't necessarily need international agreement to go full on war on drugs, but you do need a societal consensus to implement very tough penalties as in Singapore.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Adele's better than Amy who didn't even have a number one. They're just pop artists after all.

So was Dusty. Forget UB40 and Chrissie Hynde, Dusty's version of Breakfast in Bed is simply sublime.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    Because PB’ers just love pump-and-dump posts like this?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,971
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

I've dropped off tracking new releases (being 62) and in any case there's so much product these days on so many platforms you can't get your arms around it as you once could. It used to be that if you were into music and there was a great song released you'd be bound to hear it. The corollary was if you didn't hear something it can't have been that good. This is no longer the case. There's tons of high quality new music now that unless you devote yourself to seeking it out (which you won't at your age) you will not discover. But it's there.

Eg what I've noticed is when I do random deep dives into recent music, or catch it on soundtracks for tv dramas, I come across plenty of absolutely terrific songs. Songs just as good as those on my familiar playlists. Songs whereby I know that if I listened to them a lot, and could associate them with my younger life, thus generating a sweet nostalgia hit, could take their place as 'classics' (for me). I don't have the time or inclination to do this now, so they don't, but they could. They are objectively good enough, is my point.

So although I'd like to agree that the stuff I've curated and love from many moons ago constitutes a 'Golden Age' (because it's nice to believe that), I kind of know that it isn't. It's another heart v head thing, this. Heart says you're right that music used to be better. Head says it's nonsense.
    Absolutely right.

There is some cracking music around right now, just keep Shazam to hand and you can assemble a great playlist by watching mini-series or just being in shops for that matter (perhaps not Fortnums).

As to great pop songs post-2010 try Tash Sultana Jungle (2016) and if I bothered to look I could find zillions more from the past year or three.
    I just checked it out. Sweet song with some pleasantly chiming guitar chords. That’s a nice tune

But I was specifically looking for “a pop song as exquisite, delicate and moving as "At 17"?

Jungle:

At 17:

I’ve been impressed by a singer called Freya Ridings, who is disgustingly young and talented, after watching her belt out some songs live and playing the piano at same time on a BBC live lounge set.

Seems to have a decent range of songs from Castles which is more upbeat to “lost without you” which is a bit more low key. Surprisingly low voice like the singer from London Grammar.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,372
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Absolutely right.

Jungle:

At 17:

Hmm just read the full thread on this.

At 17 is a fine song a cross between Joan Armatrading, Joni Mitchell, Stevie Nicks and many others.

Pop song it is not.
  • Options
    ping said:

algarkirk said:

ping said:

See my post, above.

I’m ideologically ambivalent - and our choice is constrained by international policy.

This should be far higher up our political agenda. The debate is completely different to the 90’s/2000’s, given the terrifying shit now being sold on the streets.

This ain’t the weed grown in someone’s shed, that you remember from your youth.
    Ideological ambivalence is universal on this matter. It is possible this is because there is no course of action on drugs in a modern, liberal and democratic society which grants human rights to drug users and drug dealers, that can be lawful, useful, effective, and command assent.

If this is true (I think it is) then its place on the agenda, and the debate will make little difference.

FWIW I think the only conceivable approaches would be based on two principles: responsibility and culpability lies with the user not the supplier; and the only way of preventing drug use is if almost everyone opts for non use voluntarily.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Absolutely right.

Jungle:

At 17:

Also, that is far from the best recording of Jungle. Look out the live from the bedroom version.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496

The new genre of 'reaction' videos on YouTube could be a symptom of the decline of pop culture. People film themselves watching older performances as if they are encountering an ancient civilisation.

Here's an example of someone reduced to tears by Tori Amos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDo_JliyCoE

If you forced me to listen to Tori Amos, I'd probably be in tears too.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504

ping said:

ping said:

Nearly all the insanely harmful drugs are substitutes for much less harmful stuff.

If you could get cocaine and opium from the chemist, as in Victorian times, the other stuff would vanish.

Just like meths and ethanol based alcohols.

Legalise, tax and carefully control the supply chain for drugs. Including rules on strength and purity.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,462
    Nigelb said:

Prigozhin has said 20,000 Wagner fighters were killed in the battle for Bakhmut. That’s more than the USSR lost in 10 years in Afghanistan.
    Which brings us to the other thing he said—that this war could end in a revolution in Russia

https://twitter.com/AlecLuhn/status/1661329479787073536

Yevgeny Prigozhin says that Russia’s objectives of "denazifying" and "demilitarising" Ukraine have failed miserably

"F*ck knows how, but we’ve militarised Ukraine!"

https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1661301463442702336

It's rare you see a quote go directly from someone's mouth into the history books, but "Fuck knows how, but we’ve militarized Ukraine!" is gonna be in every writeup of this conflict.
    https://twitter.com/AaronMehta/status/1661382488097267727
    Watch the clip. Greeks, Romans... — we've unmasked @Morris_Dancer
  • Options
    Or try Tami Neilsen if you like that kind of thing.

https://youtu.be/S6NcgB822_0
  • Options
    I think Trump will win the nomination. To defeat him, his opponents have to go on the attack, but the one who does that will be too damaged in return to win, perhaps. So who’s the sacrificial lamb?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,255
    Talking of decent singers Tina Turner has, sadly, passed on.

https://news.sky.com/story/tina-turner-dies-aged-83-12888593
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    edited May 2023
    SKS Fans please explain

Redfield & Wilton Strategies
    @RedfieldWilton
    ·
    2h
    First Conservative lead since launching Blue Wall tracker in Oct

Blue Wall VI (22 May):

Conservative 34% (+2)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Liberal Democrat 22% (-1)
    Reform 6% (+1)
    Green 3% (+1)
    Other 2% (+1)

Changes +/- 7 May
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454

If the GOP had any sense, which of course they don’t, they’d get behind her for the nomination. Much better chance of winning the centre ground than either DeSantis or Trump.

I think her odds will probably shorten, so a good bet, but fundamentally anyone with a chance of winning the centre ground will be anathema to half the Republican primary voters, if not more. I don’t believe it’s possible to square the circle of satisfying the MAGA/RDS crowd and appealing to the centre ground.
    Trump v De Santis really is Alien v Predator. Hopefully they'll devour each other, leaving Joe Biden gingerly edging past the bloody remains, with the help of a walking stick, back into the White House.
  • Options

ping said:

ping said:

Nearly all the insanely harmful drugs are substitutes for much less harmful stuff.

If you could get cocaine and opium from the chemist, as in Victorian times, the other stuff would vanish.

Legalise, tax and carefully control the supply chain for drugs. Including rules on strength and purity.
    That seems like a coherent plan. I'm curious about your first sentence, though, Is that actually correct? And if ti is, why has cannabis (always illegal in UK in recent times) been getting stronger?
  • Options
    I think this is a good bet.

There's a non-zero chance that Trump is forced to depart the race, in which case a candidate who is in Trump's (relative) good graces, could be in with a decent shout.

If there's a health issue with Trump between now and mid-January (or other event that forces him from the race): in which case, he will look around for some one he can call his own. And that person won't be Ron DeSantis.

What are the chances? One-in-ten for Trump departing, evens (or maybe slightly better) for Trump endorsing Hayley, and - imho - if that happened she'd be in a very strong position for a nomination.

40-1 is good odds, but I wouldn't want to be on anything less than 25 or 30.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,015
    kinabalu said:

Eabhal said:

TOPPING said:

Mamils
    Dura_ace types
    Commuters (panniers)
    Come to the dark side. The first blood bag is the hardest.
  • Options
    BREAKING: Neil Coyle, who was suspended for drunken abuse and making racist comments to a journalist, and who previously had a sexual harassment complaint upheld against him, has now been given the whip back by the Labour Party

Owen Jones
    @OwenJones84
    ·
    1h
    Keir Starmer's Labour party is a cesspit.

If you're loyal to his leadership and you engage in racism and sexual harassment, then you're welcome in the fold.

Nauseating creeps.

He is not wrong is he?
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

SKS Fans please explain

@RedfieldWilton
    ·
    2h

Blue Wall VI (22 May):

Conservative 34% (+2)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Reform 6% (+1)
    Green 3% (+1)
    Other 2% (+1)

Changes +/- 7 May

All MoE stuff. No real change.

I expect Blue Wall polling to trend towards LDs as we approach GE with both Conservatives and Labour falling.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504

ping said:

ping said:

That seems like a coherent plan. I'm curious about your first sentence, though, Is that actually correct? And if ti is, why has cannabis (always illegal in UK in recent times) been getting stronger?
    As the crackdowns on drugs got tougher, this opened the market for substitution with nastier more compact stuff. Or drugs like crystal meth that can be manufactured inside a country.

The increasing strength of weed was about making it more compact to grow and move for a given effect.
  • Options
    Oh no, that is sad news. Tina Turner was one of the absolute greats.
  • Options
    ping said:

ping said:

ping said:

And I raise you this:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-52648026

or this:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-47341941

or this:
    https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/10/at-least-17-dead-in-russia-after-drinking-adulterated-alcohol/

etc, etc.

But that actually does not answer my question. Are you saying that cannabis, heroin, MDMA, ketamine, etc should all be easily available?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,382

BREAKING: Neil Coyle, who was suspended for drunken abuse and making racist comments to a journalist, and who previously had a sexual harassment complaint upheld against him, has now been given the whip back by the Labour Party

Owen Jones
    @OwenJones84
    ·
    1h

If you're loyal to his leadership and you engage in racism and sexual harassment, then you're welcome in the fold.

Nauseating creeps.

He is not wrong is he?

Did Jones really say “cesspit”?

Lol. There’s a non trivial chance the Labour Party will fracture into seething pieces once they gain power. There is none of the iron discipline of new Labour circa 1996
  • Options
    murali_s said:

SKS Fans please explain

@RedfieldWilton
    ·
    2h

Blue Wall VI (22 May):

Conservative 34% (+2)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Reform 6% (+1)
    Green 3% (+1)
    Other 2% (+1)

Changes +/- 7 May

All MoE stuff. No real change.

I expect Blue Wall polling to trend towards LDs as we approach GE with both Conservatives and Labour falling.
    Actually it is quite a good poll for Sunak who leads Starmer by 10%

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1661404240634314756?t=8SzshlDfeSVAZk0ece4TKA&s=19
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,982

SKS Fans please explain

@RedfieldWilton
    ·
    2h

Blue Wall VI (22 May):

Conservative 34% (+2)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Reform 6% (+1)
    Green 3% (+1)
    Other 2% (+1)

Changes +/- 7 May

How did Jezza get on in those constituencies?
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,452

ping said:

ping said:

ping said:

And I raise you this:

or this:

or this:
    https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/10/at-least-17-dead-in-russia-after-drinking-adulterated-alcohol/

etc, etc.

But that actually does not answer my question. Are you saying that cannabis, heroin, MDMA, ketamine, etc should all be easily available?
    They are easily available, we just pretend they're not.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Talking of decent singers Tina Turner has, sadly, passed on.

https://news.sky.com/story/tina-turner-dies-aged-83-12888593

She should have made our list.
  • Options

ping said:

ping said:

As the crackdowns on drugs got tougher, this opened the market for substitution with nastier more compact stuff. Or drugs like crystal meth that can be manufactured inside a country.

The increasing strength of weed was about making it more compact to grow and move for a given effect.
    Sources, please.

And as an aside, what about other effects? As an example, would you say that someone should be able to regularly smoke cannabis in a house where kids are present? Or inject heroin in a similar environment? What about driving - or working - whilst under the influence?

We have enough problems with alcohol and tobacco smoking. I would like any relaxation on drugs to protect the innocent / non-users much more than the current restrictions on alcohol and tobacco.

If you regularly smoke cannabis in front of kids, you should be steralised for life. Heck, the same goes for tobacco.... ;)

IMO drugs (of all kinds) is an issue where there is no *right* answer; only bad ones.
  • Options

ping said:

ping said:

You don't necessarily need international agreement to go full on war on drugs, but you do need a societal consensus to implement very tough penalties as in Singapore.
    I think that ship has sailed.
  • Options

SKS Fans please explain

@RedfieldWilton
    ·
    2h

Blue Wall VI (22 May):

Conservative 34% (+2)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Reform 6% (+1)
    Green 3% (+1)
    Other 2% (+1)

Changes +/- 7 May

Whataboutism

SKS fans have zero arguments and can only resort to Yeah but Corbyn
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,532

SKS Fans please explain

@RedfieldWilton
    ·
    2h

Blue Wall VI (22 May):

Conservative 34% (+2)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Reform 6% (+1)
    Green 3% (+1)
    Other 2% (+1)

Changes +/- 7 May

Labour finished third in these seats in 2019 under Jezza.

Any Tory/opponents of SKS thinking these poll findings are bad for Labour/good for the Tories are terminally stupid.
  • Options

ping said:

ping said:

ping said:

And I raise you this:

or this:

or this:

etc, etc.

I know where to go to get some Nurofen or a bottle of whisky. I don't know where to go to score some heroin. So 'easily available' very much depends on context.

(I do know someone who regularly smokes cannabis. But he's a paranoid git, and so probably wouldn't tell me about his dealer even if I asked. ;)

Your circles evidently are rather different to mine.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,015

ping said:

ping said:

ping said:

And I raise you this:

or this:

or this:

etc, etc.

I know where to go to get some Nurofen or a bottle of whisky. I don't know where to go to score some heroin. So 'easily available' very much depends on context.

You could buy gear in any town in England in about 15 minutes just by asking the scraggiest people you can find on the street.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454

There's a great video of her somewhere, perhaps YouTube, performing a duet with David Bowie singing "Tonight". There was quite a lot of banter going on which referenced what happened the previous night apparently...
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,452

ping said:

ping said:

ping said:

And I raise you this:

or this:

or this:

etc, etc.

(I do know someone who regularly smokes cannabis. But he's a paranoid git, and so probably wouldn't tell me about his dealer even if I asked. ;)

Maybe a little different yet I'm sure even a respectable Georgian era engineer could find something illicit in the nearby town if they had to.

Fuck, even Mikey G seems to manage it.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

SKS Fans please explain

@RedfieldWilton
    ·
    2h

Blue Wall VI (22 May):

Conservative 34% (+2)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Reform 6% (+1)
    Green 3% (+1)
    Other 2% (+1)

Changes +/- 7 May

Whataboutism

Yeah but Corbyn is very powerful though.

For the record, I do think Corbyn is a rare breed, a principled politician. He was just a terrible leader.

• Options

ping said:

ping said:

ping said:

And I raise you this:

or this:

or this:

etc, etc.

Oh come on; there'll be a PB expert who will have bought from all your local dealers, and can rank them on various metrics.
  • Options

Owen Jones
    @OwenJones84
    ·
    1h

Nauseating creeps.

He is not wrong is he?

Is this an admission that Corbyn was disloyal?
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    UK homeowners and renters are facing a "huge income shock" as rising interest rates hit mortgages and monthly costs, the boss of Barclays has warned.

CS Venkatakrishnan, who is known as Venkat, estimates that payments by mortgage holders and tenants will take a chunk of between 28% and 30% out of their income.

He said that compares to an average 20% in previous years.

The Bank of England has sharply raised interest rates to curb inflation.

The typical UK mortgage is a two-year fixed-rate deal.

The Barclays boss said that "most people will begin to feel the impact of higher rates when their current deal expires by the end of next year", and predicted "there is a huge income shock" on the way.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65696265

The entire economy is going to end up being strangled to death by the property market. But prices are at a record high, which the wealthy grey vote loves, so the Government will continue to do nothing meaningful to correct the problem.

The question is whether or not the next lot will take action, or just wring their hands and utter empty platitudes (whilst muttering under their breath that it's all too difficult.)
  • Options

SKS Fans please explain

@RedfieldWilton
    ·
    2h

Blue Wall VI (22 May):

Conservative 34% (+2)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Reform 6% (+1)
    Green 3% (+1)
    Other 2% (+1)

Changes +/- 7 May

Whataboutism

It is a valid argument. Corbyn was unelectable.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496

SKS Fans please explain

@RedfieldWilton
    ·
    2h

Blue Wall VI (22 May):

Conservative 34% (+2)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Reform 6% (+1)
    Green 3% (+1)
    Other 2% (+1)

Changes +/- 7 May

Whataboutism

Not that unelectable, given that the current Tory Government has implemented tax and spending plans that go further than the ones in the Corbyn manifesto.
  • Options

SKS Fans please explain

@RedfieldWilton
    ·
    2h

Blue Wall VI (22 May):

Conservative 34% (+2)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Reform 6% (+1)
    Green 3% (+1)
    Other 2% (+1)

Changes +/- 7 May

Sure. SKS has managed to get the Labour Party within margin of error of leading in a set of constituencies where they came third in 2019. The fact that you need anyone to explain that to you simply marks you as terminally stupid, or that your fanaticism renders you blind to how successful SKS has been. Or likely both. Now piss off and join the Tories or the Trots.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

My hairdresser in Dartmouth used to do her wigs, when he headed Vidal Sassoon in LA, before settling for the quiet life.

(He also cut Bowie's hair....)
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    murali_s said:

SKS Fans please explain

@RedfieldWilton
    ·
    2h

Blue Wall VI (22 May):

Conservative 34% (+2)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Reform 6% (+1)
    Green 3% (+1)
    Other 2% (+1)

Changes +/- 7 May

Whataboutism

Yeah but Corbyn is very powerful though.

For the record, I do think Corbyn is a rare breed, a principled politician. He was just a terrible leader.

There is principled and then there is bat shit crazy. Anyone who would rather divorce his wife than see his son go to a Grammar school is utterly bat shit crazy.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

ping said:

ping said:

ping said:

And I raise you this:

or this:

or this:

etc, etc.

You could buy gear in any town in England in about 15 minutes just by asking the scraggiest people you can find on the street.
    The bus station in Uttoxeter was always *allegedly* the place when I was a teenager. But I don't know of the place around here - yet I know there are some, as there was a murder by a drug dealer five or so years ago.

But I fear if I was to go up to the scraggiest person I can find on the street to ask them for some gear, they'll probably think I'm police...

(On several occasions I've had people ask me if I'm police. Once in Slough when on a hike, with rucksack, once in Stepney Green where my crime was wearing a white shirt, and another outside March. I guess I just have the air. I'm unconvinced this is a good thing ...)
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

ping said:

ping said:

ping said:

And I raise you this:

or this:

or this:

etc, etc.

The bus station in Uttoxeter was always *allegedly* the place when I was a teenager. But I don't know of the place around here - yet I know there are some, as there was a murder by a drug dealer five or so years ago.

But I fear if I was to go up to the scraggiest person I can find on the street to ask them for some gear, they'll probably think I'm police...

(On several occasions I've had people ask me if I'm police. Once in Slough when on a hike, with rucksack, once in Stepney Green where my crime was wearing a white shirt, and another outside March. I guess I just have the air. I'm unconvinced this is a good thing ...)
    The bar at SOAS was always a winner but now I rock up to lectures at Birkbeck after work in my suit I’d likely get some funny looks.
  • Options
    LDLF said:

Haley seems to have the capacity to reach across the political divide, in the way the other great white dopes currently in contention for the nomination (or indeed Joe Biden himself) probably can't. But the Republican Party base has gone bonkers and Haley is probably not extreme enough to clear that first stage of the electorate. The Liz Kendall of the GOP, perhaps?

Broadly speaking, there are today two wings of the GOP: the bonkers Trump-supporting wing and the old school GOP (think Bush or Reagan). Haley heralds from the latter. A rather old-fashioned consensus-building pragmatic politician who will make a decision on a tough issue if required to do so. That she threw her lot in behind Trump shouldn't surprise anybody. She's excellent at reading the room and knowing from which direction the wind is blowing. She knows fine well that she needs the Trump-supporting wing behind her as much as the old school GOP.

As LDLF says, the base has gone bonkers (or as they would say in South Carolina, "their biscuit ain't done in the middle"). They'll happily choose somebody like Trump over one of their own.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

ping said:

ping said:

ping said:

And I raise you this:

or this:

or this:

etc, etc.

The bar at SOAS was always a winner but now I rock up to lectures at Birkbeck after work in my suit I’d likely get some funny looks.
    Not bloody surprised. Seals don't usually wear any clothes, never mind a suit.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,726

SKS Fans please explain

@RedfieldWilton
    ·
    2h

Blue Wall VI (22 May):

Conservative 34% (+2)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Reform 6% (+1)
    Green 3% (+1)
    Other 2% (+1)

Changes +/- 7 May

Whataboutism

Not that unelectable, given that the current Tory Government has implemented tax and spending plans that go further than the ones in the Corbyn manifesto.
    It wasn't Corbyn's policies that were unelectable. Many of them were very sensible. It was the man himself.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

ping said:

ping said:

ping said:

And I raise you this:

or this:

or this:

etc, etc.

Not bloody surprised. Seals don't usually wear any clothes, never mind a suit.
    I also note that Birkbeck is not situated close to any major bodies of water, unless you count a nearby student swimming pool.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ping said:

ping said:

ping said:

And I raise you this:

or this:

or this:

etc, etc.

Oh come on; there'll be a PB expert who will have bought from all your local dealers, and can rank them on various metrics.
    Yes, but I haven't seen @SeanT around recently. I think he may have gone abroad for the winter.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,363

SKS Fans please explain

@RedfieldWilton
    ·
    2h

Blue Wall VI (22 May):

Conservative 34% (+2)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Reform 6% (+1)
    Green 3% (+1)
    Other 2% (+1)

Changes +/- 7 May

Whataboutism

It wasn't Corbyn's policies that were unelectable. Many of them were very sensible. It was the man himself.
    Nonsense. His friendship with Israel's enemies was enough in its own right to.make him unelectable.
  • Options
    WestieWestie Posts: 426
    The Daily Record ask "Why do Rangers play Tina Turner anthem Simply The Best?"

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-adopt-tina-turner-anthem-30069458

They omit to mention Rangers fans' best loved line in (their version of) the song. Even guests like Paul Gascoyne learn it:

https://www.facebook.com/VillaAndRangersFans/videos/gazza-singing-fuck-the-pope-and-the-ira-/402820127264528/

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

In 30 years' time, Leon's daughter will be on here wishing her own son a happy 17th birthday and bemoaning that music isn't as good now as it was back in 2023
    That reminds me that former Vice-President Al Gore hasn't got back to me on my suggestion he release a Hip-Hop album called AlGoreRhythm. It's a political and musical winner and my cut would only be 30%. I'll follow up with him.
    Possibly because it's a gag I made here about 12 years ago....
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,900

Dura_Ace said:

ping said:

ping said:

ping said:

And I raise you this:

or this:

or this:

etc, etc.

I, on the other hand, went through a phase in my youth when people kept asking me if I could sell them some gear and would get quite arsy/suspicious when I said no. I was never a dealer but was obviously giving off the vibes at the time.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,955
    On the back of the sad news, my first memory of Tina Turner as the Acid Queen in 'Tommy' (probably NSFW) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdinfZKA_Fw

• Options
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ping said:

ping said:

ping said:

And I raise you this:

or this:

or this:

etc, etc.

Yes, but I haven't seen @SeanT around recently. I think he may have gone abroad for the winter.
    Someone ought to do a travelogue 'Britain's Best Dealers' or somesuch. A journey through the country's underworld (although I guess it might be able to do it in a very middle-class way).
  • Options
    WestieWestie Posts: 426
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ping said:

ping said:

ping said:

And I raise you this:

or this:

or this:

etc, etc.

Does that mean he's in the southern hemisphere, or is "going abroad for the winter" a reference to some disgusting sexual practice I'm too innocent to know about?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Possibly because it's a gag I made here about 12 years ago....
    Oh. Shit. Caught again.
This discussion has been closed.