Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

We could be heading for cross-over in Scotland – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 826
    TOPPING said:

maxh said:

Cookie said:

viewcode said:

RE: social cachet Autism/Aspergers

I am fed up with nerdy sociopaths, the clinically shy and the mathematically gifted self-diagnosing as being on the spectrum. Autism is serious and if you can cope independently in society you haven't got it. And as for Asperger's, we really should stop using terms and diseases that were redefined out what, over ten years ago now?

"If you can cope independently in society you haven't got it" - I'm really not sure this is true. I work with someone with autism and have worked with other autistic people in the past. They have all been a little odd - keep eye contact with you for too long, random outbursts of swearing, that sort of thing - but all have managed to hold down a job (particularly coding) and functioned independently. I accept all cases are different, but most that I have encountered manage perfectly well.
    It is confusing because they have changed the definition of autism to encompass the whole spectrum of conditions including Asperger's. It is not too long ago that autistic meant a severe handicap. It is further complicated, as you note, by the tendency of tech nerds to self-diagnose, which became fashionable after Bill Gates and now again after Elon Musk.
    But Cookie and Leon are right - I have taught a lot of kids with autism and many grow to be able to mask it very well such that by 18 you wouldn’t know unless you had a particular sort of conversation one on one.

Otoh I have previously been a governor of a special school for autism and the other end of the spectrum (non-verbal, often insomniac) can make it almost impossible to function in society.
    When The A-Word came out I remember of the many phone-ins about it one mother sad that such programmes drove her mad. In The A-Word the child was quite non-verbal but a common portrayal of autism is as a savant who can play Grieg's Piano Concerto having heard it once on Morecambe and Wise. The mother said that this was frustrating as the reality can be a child screaming uncontrollably for most of the day and there being no communication at all.
    Absolutely.
    I vividly recall sitting in a governors meeting where a parent governor described her nights. Her son got an hour’s sleep at best, and she and her partner essentially had to tag team every night to look after him.
    To this day I cannot comprehend the love and sacrifice involved in raising a kid in those circumstances.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,383
    maxh said:

TOPPING said:

maxh said:

Cookie said:

viewcode said:

RE: social cachet Autism/Aspergers

I am fed up with nerdy sociopaths, the clinically shy and the mathematically gifted self-diagnosing as being on the spectrum. Autism is serious and if you can cope independently in society you haven't got it. And as for Asperger's, we really should stop using terms and diseases that were redefined out what, over ten years ago now?

"If you can cope independently in society you haven't got it" - I'm really not sure this is true. I work with someone with autism and have worked with other autistic people in the past. They have all been a little odd - keep eye contact with you for too long, random outbursts of swearing, that sort of thing - but all have managed to hold down a job (particularly coding) and functioned independently. I accept all cases are different, but most that I have encountered manage perfectly well.
    It is confusing because they have changed the definition of autism to encompass the whole spectrum of conditions including Asperger's. It is not too long ago that autistic meant a severe handicap. It is further complicated, as you note, by the tendency of tech nerds to self-diagnose, which became fashionable after Bill Gates and now again after Elon Musk.
    But Cookie and Leon are right - I have taught a lot of kids with autism and many grow to be able to mask it very well such that by 18 you wouldn’t know unless you had a particular sort of conversation one on one.

Otoh I have previously been a governor of a special school for autism and the other end of the spectrum (non-verbal, often insomniac) can make it almost impossible to function in society.
    When The A-Word came out I remember of the many phone-ins about it one mother sad that such programmes drove her mad. In The A-Word the child was quite non-verbal but a common portrayal of autism is as a savant who can play Grieg's Piano Concerto having heard it once on Morecambe and Wise. The mother said that this was frustrating as the reality can be a child screaming uncontrollably for most of the day and there being no communication at all.
    Absolutely.
    I vividly recall sitting in a governors meeting where a parent governor described her nights. Her son got an hour’s sleep at best, and she and her partner essentially had to tag team every night to look after him.
    To this day I cannot comprehend the love and sacrifice involved in raising a kid in those circumstances.
    Yep.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,796
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

Turkish election news:

There are strong rumours overnight that Erdogan has been taken unwell, and that he has cancelled election rallies.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/turkeys-erdogan-cancels-election-rallies-day-health-reasons-2023-04-26/

I’m supposed to be in Istanbul next week, hope it doesn’t all kick off while I’m there!

Does anyone have recommendations for places to see, apart from the hallowed ground where Steven Gerrard lifted the European Cup 18(!) years ago?
    Would need the Mrs to provide a list but the Basilica Cistern , Galatea tower and Chora are worth a visit.
    I would add St. Stephen Bulgarian Iron Church and I preferred the Blue Mosque to Hagia Sophia, even though the former was half covered up for repairs. Does anyone know if they are complete? The Topkapi is almost indispensable as well.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,297
    Well some beautiful posts here about death disease and loss. They've been unusually absent from my (quite long) life thus far - so they're probably coming soon and in a bunch.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,760

O/T, last two polls for the Democrat nomination have had RFK up to 19-21%.

He obviously won't win but that's a large progress from the 10-14% of a few weeks ago. While he's anti-vax, he is also anti-corporate establishment (see the argument breaking out at the moment over an American Prospect article saying Tucker Carlson had some good ideas).

I think Joe needs some of his diehard supporters on here who claim he's the most underrated President to get his numbers up...

As someone who thinks Biden an underrated president, I mean exactly what I say. Being a highly effective president who is not always rated accordingly doesn't necessarily mean he will be re elected, although he is a seasoned campaigner. You literally cannot underrate Johnson and Trump as leaders, but they still won their elections.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    edited April 2023
    Off topic, but I know there are a football and tech fans on here. Arsenal are going fully digital next season. You will only get in with a smartphone and a digital pass.

I experienced this at Wimbledon last year and I missed quite a bit of one match because the internet was busy and the app wouldn’t load the pass.

The first home game of the season will be fun…
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 43% (-)
    CON: 30% (+1)
    LDEM: 9% (-1)

via
    @DeltapollUK
    , 24 - 26 Apr

SKS Fans please explain
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,105
    Starmer's lost AC Grayling.

@acgrayling
    Starmer is working hard to shed support - large majorities of Labour Party members & voters are proEU and proPR. But Starmer? Why isn't he in the Tory Party?
    We have to get a hung Parliament next year to get out of the relentless retrograde grip of the dinosaur parties.

https://twitter.com/acgrayling/status/1651588739221659649
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,760
    Dura_Ace said:

Chris said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Russia is resource rich and cash/population poor. China may well be looking at northeast Russia and not crying too many tears if Russia looks, and is, very weak.

I've poured scorn on the idea of Russia using nuclear weapons to defend territory it has invaded, but if they weren't prepared to use them to defend their internationally recognised borders then there's not much point in having them.
    For China, it might be an easier bet than Taiwan, especially in the long-term. Take lessons out of Putin's book and interfere in those areas politically (as some say they are already doing).

But yes, nukes are an issue. But Moscow are well aware that China is also nuclear-capable.

I hope China does neither Russia or Taiwan. Neither is good for the world.

But I reckon what's happened in the last 15 months makes a Taiwanese adventure from China less likely, as it's made the possibility and consequences of failure much more real.
    China is absolutely dedicated to reclaiming Taiwan and I suspect that many taiwanese, deep down, are resigned to its happening eventually
    While Zelensky was slurping Xi's fragrant balls on the phone he said he was on board with the "One China" policy so he's resigned to it.
    I'm genuinely interested in knowing whether that is true or not. Can you point me towards anywhere I can see confirmation of what you say?
    Holy fucking shit. NEVER doubt the green t-shirt dialectic of the Beggar King.

https://www.president.gov.ua/en/news/vidbulasya-telefonna-rozmova-prezidenta-ukrayini-z-golovoyu-82489

Volodymyr Zelenskyy reaffirmed Ukraine's unwavering position on adherence to the "One China" policy and thanked the President of the People’s Republic of China for China's support for Ukraine's independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity.
    TBF so does everyone else
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,728

@acgrayling
    Starmer is working hard to shed support - large majorities of Labour Party members & voters are proEU and proPR. But Starmer? Why isn't he in the Tory Party?
    We have to get a hung Parliament next year to get out of the relentless retrograde grip of the dinosaur parties.

Who'd have thought that A C Grayling posted on here as BJO, eh? Amazing.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,348
    rcs1000 said:

On the subject of Taiwan, it bear repeating that it is dramatically harder to invade them than Ukraine.

For a start, they're an island. And the distance from the Chinese mainland to Taiwan* is a lot further than the distance from - say - England to France for D-Day. Plus, the obvious places where you could land troops are all on the far side of the island.

Plus, it's very hard to hide the build up for the world's largest ever amphibious invasion. Tens of thousands of ships would be required, and they would fill the ports nearest to Taiwan.

Taiwan is also pretty well armed. They have F16s, they have Dassault Mirages, they have their own indigenous fighter which is supposed to be pretty good. They are currently - in partnership with the French - building a fleet of submarines that could absolutely wreak havoc on any invading fleet.

And most of China's weapons - with the exception of the newest fighters - are based on Russian designs, that haven't held up too well in Ukraine.

My personal view is that China is unlikely to *invade* in the sense that Ukraine was invaded. That would be extremely difficult - really Ukraine x 10. I think it is much more likely that China would attempt to blockade Taiwan, and to use that to extract concessions.

* With the exception of Pingtan

The problem with a blockade is the potential intervention of the US Pacific fleet which has at least 3x the military capability of the entire Chinese navy.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732
    tlg86 said:

Off topic, but I know there are a football and tech fans on here. Arsenal are going fully digital next season. You will only get in with a smartphone and a digital pass.

I experienced this at Wimbledon last year and I missed quite a bit of one match because the internet was busy and the app wouldn’t load the pass.

The first home game of the season will be fun…

Rumours of that too at Leicester next season, it is optional at present

This is hard on people who cannot make all games. I have two season tickets, and usually go with one son, the other being away in London, but I take him if he is home, or sometimes the boys go together. Occasionally I have loaned the tickets to my secretary so she can take her football mad son. While against T and C this has always been winked at by the club, indeed child tickets can be upgraded to adult for just this purpose.

The club wants us to sell the seat back to them when we cannot use it (max 3x per season) so they can control who goes, rather than the holder take a friend or relative

It will be a major hassle for the oldies without a smartphone too.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,297
    FF43 said:

O/T, last two polls for the Democrat nomination have had RFK up to 19-21%.

He obviously won't win but that's a large progress from the 10-14% of a few weeks ago. While he's anti-vax, he is also anti-corporate establishment (see the argument breaking out at the moment over an American Prospect article saying Tucker Carlson had some good ideas).

I think Joe needs some of his diehard supporters on here who claim he's the most underrated President to get his numbers up...

As someone who thinks Biden an underrated president, I mean exactly what I say. Being a highly effective president who is not always rated accordingly doesn't necessarily mean he will be re elected, although he is a seasoned campaigner. You literally cannot underrate Johnson and Trump as leaders, but they still won their elections.
    Good point yes. But I think he will win health permitting. The other side are in an awful mess.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    kinabalu said:

Well some beautiful posts here about death disease and loss. They've been unusually absent from my (quite long) life thus far - so they're probably coming soon and in a bunch.

Just in case, it’s been nice knowing you…. ;)
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082
    Interesting Toon line up vs the scouse mackems
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732

I’m sat in the food court at Pinderfields hospital, in Wakefield. My mum’s in the ward with her husband, who’s got sepsis. Apparently there’s a cluster of infection round his liver.

I knew he was ill but I didn’t expect him to look as bad as he did when we arrived. Think my mum was shocked too. Then the doc came in and had the DNR conversation.

Didn’t expect that.

Think he’s a gonner, they’re pumping antibiotics into him but they’re not doing anything. Very low blood pressure preventing some kind of treatment.

Bugger.

Sounds bad, but it is a common misconception that DNR means "Do Not Treat". It really means "Do Not Resuscitate with CPR, but all treatment short of that is possible".

Best wishes
  • Options

Interesting Toon line up vs the scouse mackems

Really looking forward to the warm welcome Anthony Gordon will receive.
  • Options

@acgrayling

@acgrayling

Unfortunately for you I believe there will be several 000,000s of BJOs at GE2024.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I’m sat in the food court at Pinderfields hospital, in Wakefield. My mum’s in the ward with her husband, who’s got sepsis. Apparently there’s a cluster of infection round his liver.

I knew he was ill but I didn’t expect him to look as bad as he did when we arrived. Think my mum was shocked too. Then the doc came in and had the DNR conversation.

Didn’t expect that.

Think he’s a gonner, they’re pumping antibiotics into him but they’re not doing anything. Very low blood pressure preventing some kind of treatment.

Bugger.

Sounds bad, but it is a common misconception that DNR means "Do Not Treat". It really means "Do Not Resuscitate with CPR, but all treatment short of that is possible".

Best wishes
    Thank you. They’re throwing everything at him that they can.

Yep the doc was talking about if his heart stopped. Slight wrinkle is the poor fellas got one of those devices in his chest that’ll try to restart his heart if it stops. The doctor looked very thoughtful when my mum mentioned that.
  • Options
    On Topic Will Crossover Occur in Scotland before in GB VI?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,846

This thread has been cut short

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,348
    edited April 2023
    This is possibly the most depressing thread I’ve ever read on PB. Basically we are all going to die but if we are lucky it will be quick and not too painful.

I come on here for a laugh at the absurdity of the world and the idiocy of those who purport to govern us. Can we move on please?

Ask and you shall receive. Let’s leave cancer on this thread, huh?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,907

viewcode said:

RE: pancreatic cancer

This is a lousy disease. When cancer hits the pancreas, it's hit the jackpot. It's a great neighborhood for cancer: right next to the liver, stomach, lungs, major blood and lymph nodes: basically the equivalent of a large warm flat near major Tube and BR stations with your rent and bills paid. It settles in and breeds lots of little cancers which scatter around the body like billy-o. One of the first places it hits is the liver, and whoops you can't live without one.

We deal with cancer in three ways: chemo, radiotherapy, or resection (amputation). Some new techniques are in vogue (ablation) but that's basically it. With pancreatic cancer it grows faster than you can kill it, and you can't amputate your liver because you die. In theory you can get a transplant but cancer patients don't get transplants, so you die. Every scenario ends with "...so you die"

If you are lucky, you die from a morphine overdose that your kindly GP administers to you in the certain knowledge that everybody looks the other way on this. If you are unlucky it's the bodily equivalent of Hiroshima as everything gets affected and you die from the first major organs to stop working whilst all the others queue up to do the same.

The best you can do is the Iain Banks option: make sure your loved ones are legally sorted, get your affairs tidied up, and get all the Macallan you can get

You forgot I-O

The progress we have made in oncology over the last 5 years is remarkable

Well, thank you with crediting me with "forgetting about it" when in truth I just didn't know about it... ) I learn something new every day, thank you

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancer_immunotherapy or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immuno-oncology
This discussion has been closed.