Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The SNP’s rapid unscheduled disassembly continues – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097

Nigelb said:

US Taliban, contd.

Today the Texas Senate passed a bill to force every public school classroom in the state to prominently display a copy of the Ten Commandments.

They also passed a bill to set prayer and bible reading times during the school day.

https://twitter.com/SawyerHackett/status/1649231594719248392

Isn't this in breach of the US Constitution?

The 1st Amendment states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

Whilst the 14th amendment states that all constitutional laws applying to the Federal Government also apply to the State legislatures.

This was upheld by Supreme Court decisions in 1947, 1962 (explicitly banning school prayers), 1968 (preventing the compulsory teaching of religious beliefs) and numerous other occasions resulting in the establishment of the 'Lemon' Test.
    Congress isn't making a law, the Texas legislature is.

Texas is still overwhelmingly Christian and overwhelmingly Republican, after all it voted for Trump even in 2020 and has a Republican Governor, Republican US Senators, most of its US Representatives are Republican as are its state legislatures.

I see no problem with this at all
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,134
    Raab's resignation letter has strong "sorry if you were offended" non-apology vibes. Gracious to the end.
  • Options
    Right, time for me pretend to be a good Muslim for the next few hours.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

Scott_xP said:

@KuperSimon
    Even many senior Brexiteers now understand, quietly, that Brexit failed. Lots of them will probably exit government next year and never return. One day Brexit will be the first line in their obits. So how do the guilty men and women live with that? Me @FT

https://twitter.com/KuperSimon/status/1649066544096333826

Simon Kuper is the archetypal citizen of nowhere and not an objective commentator on this subject.
    It is amusing seeing Remain fanatics who didn't understand (nor tried to understand) Brexit then and still don't understand it now trying to project their delusions onto Brexit supporters. They will go to their graves bitter and twisted. (Though, to be reasonable, hopefully in great old age like all of us)
    Present company excepted Richard, there seem to be plenty of Leavers who seem pretty bitter and twisted in spite of "winning". I think there is too much bitterness on both sides, which is the problem with anything so divisive. It is time to move on, though I cannot promise that I will not continue to take the piss about "the benefits of Brexit"
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    edited April 2023

Nigelb said:

US Taliban, contd.

Today the Texas Senate passed a bill to force every public school classroom in the state to prominently display a copy of the Ten Commandments.

They also passed a bill to set prayer and bible reading times during the school day.

The 1st Amendment states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

Whilst the 14th amendment states that all constitutional laws applying to the Federal Government also apply to the State legislatures.

This was upheld by Supreme Court decisions in 1947, 1962 (explicitly banning school prayers), 1968 (preventing the compulsory teaching of religious beliefs) and numerous other occasions resulting in the establishment of the 'Lemon' Test.
    Of course it is.
    I think this is designed to bring a case before the current set of religious ideologues on the Supreme Court.

The get to reinterpret what it means.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057
    eek said:

Raab resigns.

Shows who dishonourable he is - because he should have resigned when the allegations appeared.

Granted he didn't want to be sacked but that would at least have given him some integrity. Now it looks like he was merely hoping not to be found out.
    "because he should have resigned when the allegations appeared"

Really? I'm unsure that's a good idea, either for him, or for politics generally. Would you resign from your job if someone made allegations against you; especially if you felt the allegations were untrue?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,518
    edited April 2023

Nigelb said:

US Taliban, contd.

IIRC, a Judge in Texas was thrown off the bench by a very conservative Texas Supreme Court, for putting a tablet with the ten commandments in the foyer of his court house. Tablet removed by law officers etc.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,112
    biggles said:

carnforth said:

"LONDON — Ambassadors from all 27 EU countries will gather at a secret location in England later this month for private talks about the post-Brexit relationship."

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-ambassadors-to-uk-to-discuss-post-brexit-relation-on-away-day-delegation-member-states-uk-think-tanks/

Preparations for the first 5 year review of the TCA beginning?

By “secret” do they mean “Doris in FCO Protocol hasn’t booked it yet but it’ll probably be Lancaster House”?
    It says 'seaside', so maybe revisiting the G7 meeting location.
  • Options
    Turkey elections: All you need to know about the opposition’s foreign policy
    From returning Syrian refugees to visa-free travel to the EU, Kemal Kilicdaroglu has made so
    https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/turkey-elections-opposition-foreign-policy-everything-need-know
  • Options
    JPJ2JPJ2 Posts: 378
    "peak SNP". That was all the rage when the SNP first came to power in 2007 with around 32% of the vote. It was supposed to be an incredible combination of circumstances that made that SNP victory something that would never be repeated.

The most surprising aspect of this poll is that the SNP remain ahead in spite of an avalanche of anti-SNP propaganda. The nonsense churned out by the 95% anti SNP MSM is starting to become counter productive and has been on a scale much worse than the Tories faced after the Truss debacle.

Yet here we are-Tories miles behind Labour in UK but the SNP still comfortably ahead in Scotland. All this tells me is that the pro-independence support of younger voters will achieve Scottish independence by demographic inevitability using whatever political vehicle(s) is required in due course.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    carnforth said:

Does Raab resigning give an excuse not to publish the report?

It kills the story from Sunak's point of view
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,851
    Dura_Ace said:

Dialup said:

I am not at all surprised re Raab, he looks the kind.

Come over here and say that.

I'm sure Grab-A-Cocky will be crying into his porridge this morning... :(
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@KuperSimon
    Even many senior Brexiteers now understand, quietly, that Brexit failed. Lots of them will probably exit government next year and never return. One day Brexit will be the first line in their obits. So how do the guilty men and women live with that? Me @FT

Simon Kuper is the archetypal citizen of nowhere and not an objective commentator on this subject.
    It is amusing seeing Remain fanatics who didn't understand (nor tried to understand) Brexit then and still don't understand it now trying to project their delusions onto Brexit supporters. They will go to their graves bitter and twisted. (Though, to be reasonable, hopefully in great old age like all of us)
    Present company excepted Richard, there seem to be plenty of Leavers who seem pretty bitter and twisted in spite of "winning". I think there is too much bitterness on both sides, which is the problem with anything so divisive. It is time to move on, though I cannot promise that I will not continue to take the piss about "the benefits of Brexit"
    Brexit always reminds me of this

• Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,274
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

US Taliban, contd.

Texas is still overwhelmingly Christian and overwhelmingly Republican, after all it voted for Trump even in 2020 and has a Republican Governor, Republican US Senators, most of its US Representatives are Republican as are its state legislatures.

Texas is still part of the US?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,475
    A recent exchange from Dominic Raab's Facebook page, on the subject of Levelling Up:-

Raab: The Government has just backed the Cecil Hepworth Playhouse with £50,000 of funding through the UK Shared Prosperity Fund to help keep this valuable local asset open for community use.

Voter: The Shared Prosperity Fund is to support "pockets of deprivation", not to shore up Tory MPs who have turned a safe seat into a marginal.
    https://www.facebook.com/DominicRaabMP
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

US Taliban, contd.

As I said in my OP, the 14th Amendment explicitly applies constitutional laws to the actions of State as well as Federal institutions. This has been upheld on numerous occasions by the Supreme Court.
  • Options

Anyway, back to the big PB news.

Who was 'up' for @NickPalmer last night?

A classic PB moment.

LOL! Whoever knew he had it in him? :D
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    JPJ2 said:

"peak SNP". That was all the rage when the SNP first came to power in 2007 with around 32% of the vote. It was supposed to be an incredible combination of circumstances that made that SNP victory something that would never be repeated.

The most surprising aspect of this poll is that the SNP remain ahead in spite of an avalanche of anti-SNP propaganda. The nonsense churned out by the 95% anti SNP MSM is starting to become counter productive and has been on a scale much worse than the Tories faced after the Truss debacle.

Yet here we are-Tories miles behind Labour in UK but the SNP still comfortably ahead in Scotland. All this tells me is that the pro-independence support of younger voters will achieve Scottish independence by demographic inevitability using whatever political vehicle(s) is required in due course.

No, on the seats average Sarwar will become FM at the next Holyrood election with SCon and SLD confidence and supply

https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1649168260133265408?s=20
  • Options
    kamski said:

malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

Not close to the SNP, but think it's more likely they will sort themselves out than collapse. These are issues of governance, which are fixable. There's no real alternative to the SNP for a constituency that makes up about half of Scots.

These are issues of party finance, which are not fixable.

Not without anther lottery winner anyway.
    And possible criminality at an institutional level. There will always be those that want to back a party, ideology or individual whatever one learns of them (there are still people that idolise Boris Johnson and Alex Salmond ffs!), but eventually the silent majority that represents common sense quietly turns away.

I would be astonished if the vast majority of decent minded Scottish people do not now start to seriously question full "independence" as a philosophy, if main party that espouses it, the SNP, is shown to be institutionally corrupt and the alternative is led my a man who was described by his QC as a "bully and sex-pest".
    Just what you expect from a dumb cluck, same brain brain again and you would be dangerous loser.
    Lol. Baldrick has entered the room with his playground insults.

How long did it take you to construct your anger filled rant Mr. Thicky, only for it still to be completely unintelligible?

Go back to the University of Life and ask for a refund on your pass degree, or alternatively get yourself a brain brain (sic) implant. The other option is to carry on crying into your jackboots about the inability of your much beloved Fuhrer to persuade the Scottish master race of their need for lebensraum.
    Could you two just get a luxury camper van and do a holiday together?
    Sorry, I don't do caravans or such like, though Baldrick probably does. It could be quite amusing though, I have to admit.

For the record, I only ever respond to his rudeness in kind because many on here seem afraid to do so. He is a small brained anger filled bully, and I have always strongly disliked bullies.

Hence why I am happy Raab has resigned.
    I doubt people are afraid. It just gets quickly boring. You both need to come up with more original insults.
    I am not sure that is a fair criticism of either of us. Admittedly I have called him Baldrick before, and possibly mentioned the University of Life (titter) but the Scottish master race and lebensraum have not been used before to my recollection. As for Malcolm, he does use the same insults over and over, but the sentence is normally different due to his general challenges with syntax and grammar. I always find it highly entertaining.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,070
    Do we actually get to read the report into Raabid?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

A classic PB moment.

What happened?
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    GIN1138 said:

I guess that's JohnOs peerage gone out of the window then? 😢

I'm hurting.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Scott_xP said:

@KuperSimon

Brexit always reminds me of this

To be fair I would apply that more to the EU as a whole rather than just Brexit :wink:
  • Options
    DialupDialup Posts: 561
    I don’t like basically anything Gove has done but I can’t doubt he is competent and at least has an ideology and ideas. The rest of the Tories seem bankrupt
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Sunak's two closest political allies; Dom Raab and Richard Sharp at the BBC. Does the PM have judgement issues?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

A classic PB moment.

What happened?
    NPXMP outed himself as yet another SeanT sockpuppet. You can read it on the last thread.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,804

eek said:

Raab resigns.

Shows who dishonourable he is - because he should have resigned when the allegations appeared.

Granted he didn't want to be sacked but that would at least have given him some integrity. Now it looks like he was merely hoping not to be found out.
    "because he should have resigned when the allegations appeared"

Really? I'm unsure that's a good idea, either for him, or for politics generally. Would you resign from your job if someone made allegations against you; especially if you felt the allegations were untrue?
    If 24 people who worked for me made similar complaints, I might have to consider that there is the smallest possibility that it was me being unreasonable.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,941

Has Raab resigned, or been resigned by Sunak?

An interesting letter. I said I would resign if it found I was a bully. It has dismissed all but 2 allegations, proving I am not a bully. It is flawed with its other two findings, proving I am not a bully. It is dangerous to accuse me of being a bully as I will smash your fucking face in it stops ministers bullying their staff. I demand that you investigate this outrageous fabrication that I am a bully before I find out who it was and smash their fucking face in it encourages spurious complaints against ministers.

I think he was instructed to resign. That is not an "I am sorry here is my resignation" letter. Its a "you fucking bastard" letter.

Yep, he was forced out. Kudos to Sunak.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dialup said:

Come over here and say that.

I'm sure Grab-A-Cocky will be crying into his porridge this morning... :(
    He looks like a pin-up from "Attitude" magazine there. I never realised he could be so interesting. But then again....
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785

FPT

DavidL said:

On topic, the Raab report must be a slightly mixed bag and Sunak has to decide whether it justifies dismissal or not. Clearly, the more serious allegations have not been upheld or he would have gone yesterday. On the other hand I suspect that there are some criticisms.

Sunak's problem is that he does not want a repeat of the Boris/Priti Patel fiasco which seriously undermined the Ministerial Code and cost an ethics advisor. On the other hand he doesn't want to give senior civil servants some sort of veto of who is in his government. And he doesn't need yet another civil service conflict either.

My guess is that what will be announced is that Raab will undergo some training or bullying awareness course but remain in office. Sunak will be accused of being weak and indecisive but that is a price he will have to pay.

Raab won't quit. Sunak won't fire him.
    This aged well.

Meanwhile, on topic - Scottish Poll:

Overall, how United or Divided would you say the following political party were: Net United (change vs. 9-13 March )
    SNP: -24 (-36)
    Scottish Labour: +33 (+7)
    Scottish Conservatives: +5 (+1)

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/v27gr3cf2w/Results_230420_Scotland_VI&Others_W_.pdf
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

A classic PB moment.

What happened?
    Turns out Dr Nick is a right "player" and SeanT is just a pale imitation :D

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4376080#Comment_4376080
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Dialup said:

I don’t like basically anything Gove has done but I can’t doubt he is competent and at least has an ideology and ideas. The rest of the Tories seem bankrupt

For clarification, the Tories are "ideologically bankrupt", as opposed to the SNP who are "actually bankrupt".
  • Options
    Russia Today is no longer labelled as state propaganda on Twitter. Will Twitter even be around in a decade?
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,914
    edited April 2023
    Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Silverstone track marshals properly roughing them up

Yep, they are absolute nails. Killing machines.

img src="https://us.v-cdn.net/5020679/uploads/editor/ji/no1wxvxk55x6.png" alt="" />

If you were a nine stone wet lettuce gender studies student, would you want to be up against a dozen of these, armed with crowbars and fire extinguishers?

Watching the video of last year’s incident, they were a damn sight more effective at clearing the idiots out of the way, than the police have been in the recent past.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=LZ0g9ck6aEU&pp
    Absolutely. You just need to perfect the slow backwards jog from In Bruges.

I recently applied this to an irate BMW driver who jumped out of his car after I suggested he revise his Highway Code.

https://youtu.be/ynF2xWYyIrQ
  • Options
    Reddit is also seemingly intent on making all its users leave. I wonder if we will see new social media platforms now appear
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,414
    What did Raab actually DO that was so bad?

I’m sure it was awful and bullying is terrible etc etc but I wouldn’t mind knowing what he actually DID
  • Options

kamski said:

malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

Not close to the SNP, but think it's more likely they will sort themselves out than collapse. These are issues of governance, which are fixable. There's no real alternative to the SNP for a constituency that makes up about half of Scots.

And possible criminality at an institutional level. There will always be those that want to back a party, ideology or individual whatever one learns of them (there are still people that idolise Boris Johnson and Alex Salmond ffs!), but eventually the silent majority that represents common sense quietly turns away.

I would be astonished if the vast majority of decent minded Scottish people do not now start to seriously question full "independence" as a philosophy, if main party that espouses it, the SNP, is shown to be institutionally corrupt and the alternative is led my a man who was described by his QC as a "bully and sex-pest".
    Just what you expect from a dumb cluck, same brain brain again and you would be dangerous loser.

How long did it take you to construct your anger filled rant Mr. Thicky, only for it still to be completely unintelligible?

Go back to the University of Life and ask for a refund on your pass degree, or alternatively get yourself a brain brain (sic) implant. The other option is to carry on crying into your jackboots about the inability of your much beloved Fuhrer to persuade the Scottish master race of their need for lebensraum.
    Sorry, I don't do caravans or such like, though Baldrick probably does. It could be quite amusing though, I have to admit.

For the record, I only ever respond to his rudeness in kind because many on here seem afraid to do so. He is a small brained anger filled bully, and I have always strongly disliked bullies.

I doubt people are afraid. It just gets quickly boring. You both need to come up with more original insults.
    I am not sure that is a fair criticism of either of us. Admittedly I have called him Baldrick before, and possibly mentioned the University of Life (titter) but the Scottish master race and lebensraum have not been used before to my recollection. As for Malcolm, he does use the same insults over and over, but the sentence is normally different due to his general challenges with syntax and grammar. I always find it highly entertaining.
    I'm glad you're so easily pleased.

I guess when I said original I should have also said amusing and/or fitting - what has Lebensraum got to do with Malcolm? And pulling a Godwin is kinda the opposite of original.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

US Taliban, contd.

As I said in my OP, the 14th Amendment explicitly applies constitutional laws to the actions of State as well as Federal institutions. This has been upheld on numerous occasions by the Supreme Court.
    The 14th Amendment only states the states cannot deprive persons of personal liberty. It does not say schools in individual states cannot be mandated to display the 10 commandments.

Given this new ultra conservative and Christian Supreme Court has struck down Roe v Wade and even allowed states to ban abortion, secular liberals are taking a big gamble saying the SC will strike down this new Texan law
  • Options
    Out of the fridge into the frying pan

It is 8C and raining back in london. Here in Bangkok it is cloudless and today peaked at 40C

Ouch
  • Options

I was totally wrong about Raab going. I am pleased I was and applaud Sunak for forcing him out. There should be no place for bullies in any workplace. And what did Raab achieve with his approach? The square root of F all. That should be the main lesson here.

Bullies rarely if ever achieve much in the workplace. A bunch of very talented professional associates of mine recently moved to a new employer in which the founder was an inveterate bully. They, and most of their colleagues simply left for pastures new after six months, leaving said bully high and dry. Bullying is a sign of deep incompetence, it makes staff retention all but impossible and usually leads companies into an inexorable downward spiral.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    Dialup said:

Reddit is also seemingly intent on making all its users leave. I wonder if we will see new social media platforms now appear

Good. These supermassive sites with min/max'd linking profiles are bad for the internet.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    JPJ2 said:

Propaganda? Are you saying the media have made up these arrests, criminal investigations and issues around collapsing membership, unaudited accounts and disappearing money?

Because if these *are* facts what propaganda could actually be worse?
  • Options
    Is Humza the man to fix it? Doing well (net)

Yousaf: -25
    Sarwar: -6
    Ross: -36
    Cole-Hamilton: -15( high DK 59)
    Harvie/Slater: -20
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,914
    Leon said:

I’m sure it was awful and bullying is terrible etc etc but I wouldn’t mind knowing what he actually DID

https://youtu.be/PPEd5y2szLc
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,764
    kamski said:

malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

"Your wife, sir, under the pretense of keeping a bawdy house, is a receiver of stolen goods."

Well, it was considered frightfully amusing in Johnson's day. Wouldn't be original now, of course.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,230
    Leon said:

It is 8C and raining back in london. Here in Bangkok it is cloudless and today peaked at 40C

Ouch

What's your jetlag strategy? It took me almost a week to recover last time I flew to that part of the world.
  • Options
    Dialup said:

What's Reddit done?
  • Options

kamski said:

malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

"Your wife, sir, under the pretense of keeping a bawdy house, is a receiver of stolen goods."

Well, it was considered frightfully amusing in Johnson's day. Wouldn't be original now, of course.
    I don't get it
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

US Taliban, contd.

The 14th Amendment only states the states cannot deprive persons of personal liberty. It does not say schools in individual states cannot be mandated to display the 10 commandments.

Given this new ultra conservative and Christian Supreme Court has struck down Roe v Wade and even allowed states to ban abortion, secular liberals are taking a big gamble saying the SC will strike down this new Texan law
    Nope. It was applied in the aftermath of the Civil War but it applies to all parts of the Constitution. This has been confirmed on many occasions since then. Yes it is possible - or even likely - that that will change with the current Supreme court but it is a principle that has held for 150 years or more.

Unless of course you know better than the Supreme Court Justices who have repeatedly referenced both the 1st and 14th amendments in their judgements on this.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    Leon said:

According to his resignation letter, the KC's report "dismissed all but two of the claims levelled against me". So what were these two things?

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

A classic PB moment.

What happened?

I just can't reconcile in my mind the Swiss threesome Nick with the ready-meals-every-night Nick.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

Ouch

What's your jetlag strategy? It took me almost a week to recover last time I flew to that part of the world.
    Siestas and Xanax
  • Options
    carnforth said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

A classic PB moment.

What happened?

I just can't reconcile in my mind the Swiss threesome Nick with the ready-meals-every-night Nick.
    Well this was in the German part of Switzerland I think – they, like Nick, are not that into food.
  • Options
    lol

Thailand notches highest temperature on record as 'monster' heat wave roasts Southeast Asia
    Bill Deger
    Wed, April 19, 2023 at 5:06 PM GMT

https://news.yahoo.com/thailand-notches-highest-temperature-record-160644980.html

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,590
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

US Taliban, contd.

The protectors of what the public want - and they are entitled to diverse views - are voters not courts. It is not ultra conservative for the SC to say abortion is a matter for voters and their legislators. It places the USA in the same position as the UK.
  • Options
    kamski said:

kamski said:

malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

I guess when I said original I should have also said amusing and/or fitting - what has Lebensraum got to do with Malcolm? And pulling a Godwin is kinda the opposite of original.
    Yes I am generally pleased, and I consider that a virtue. That is because I am someone who generally has an optimistic outlook on life and look to find humour where I can. You, on the other hand seem to not be as stupid as Malcolm, but definitely a lot duller and lacking in humour on the the few dreary posts that I can remember you have shared. In fact I can't remember any which says it all.

In addition to your sense of humour deficit, the fact that you want to defend someone that is rude and insulting to anyone who does not share his very narrow extremist views says a lot about you.

So fuck off with your holier-than-thou critique of my refusal to kowtow to a bully. I am not interested in your lack of judgement, just as I imagine not many people on here are interested in your views generally.
  • Options
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Ouch

Siestas and Xanax
    The siestas part might work. I tend to end up accidentally falling asleep from, say 8pm to 11pm and then being wide awake. Deliberately bringing that forward to seista time seems worth a go.
  • Options
    Leon said:

lol

Thailand notches highest temperature on record as 'monster' heat wave roasts Southeast Asia
    Bill Deger

https://news.yahoo.com/thailand-notches-highest-temperature-record-160644980.html

Ouch indeed. I'd prefer 8c to 40c personally!
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    JPJ2 said:

". All this tells me is that the pro-independence support of younger voters will achieve Scottish independence by demographic inevitability using whatever political vehicle(s) is required in due course.

This old chestnut - if “demographic inevitability” was the case, why has the death of over 400,000 predominantly “No” voters not shifted the polling? I’ve been reading “The Tories will die out” since the 1960s…
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    edited April 2023
    geoffw said:

Leon said:

According to his resignation letter, the KC's report "dismissed all but two of the claims levelled against me". So what were these two things?

There are a couple of clues in Raab's statement:
    "Mr Tolley concluded that I had not once, in four and a half years, sworn or shouted at anyone, let alone thrown anything or otherwise physically intimidated anyone, nor intentionally sought to belittle anyone."
    [my emphasis]
  • Options

Leon said:

lol

Bill Deger

The problem is high heat with high humidity - that's a real killer.
  • Options

That's a rather graceless speech from Raab.

Yes, he wants to be vindicated and doesn't want his career damaged in the long-run but it showed the lack of emotional intelligence and self-awareness that probably got him into this trouble in the first place.

His letter is crass and good he has resigned
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,364
    Dialup said:

This Government has got to go.

Easy talk
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,712
    Leon said:

lol

Bill Deger

Meanwhile a jet lag-free long weekend in Tivoli for me. 23C there. Just got upgraded to club Europe.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Ouch

Siestas and Xanax
    The siestas part might work. I tend to end up accidentally falling asleep from, say 8pm to 11pm and then being wide awake. Deliberately bringing that forward to seista time seems worth a go.
    My brother fairly regularly travels from MDT to BST and swears by an hour's nap upon landing at LHR on the eastbound journey. Sets his watch alarm for 60 minutes so he can't oversleep and that gets him through to about 9pm that same day, by which time he is able to hit the hay without completing destroying his body clock.
  • Options
    Raab gone. Was there ever a politician who more resembled Roderick Spode?

Time to re-read 'The Code of the Woosters'.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Do we know who is replacing Raab?
  • Options

Leon said:

lol

Bill Deger

It’s fine.

Because it only “feels like” 46C

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,712
    carnforth said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

A classic PB moment.

What happened?

Comes to us all eventually. The 7 ages of man, former Labour MP-style.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

A classic PB moment.

What happened?

lol. Who da thought it. Another person more interesting than I thought. It might have been even more interesting if it had been MMF which might have shocked those of a more trad perspective even more.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    algarkirk said:

Does he wear black shorts?

• Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

lol

Bill Deger

It’s fine.

Because it only “feels like” 46C

Too hot for me unless I can spend literally all day in a pool sipping cold drinks, then retire to a quiet aircon room to sleep. I absolutely loathe walking around cities in that weather and cannot sleep at all without aircon – heatwaves are the worst kind of weather IMO.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,093
    @JasonGroves1
    A friend of Dominic Raab says he was the victim of ‘Brexit revenge’ by Remainer civil servants

Bexiteers will carry the grievance of their win to their graves...
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

lol

Bill Deger

Meanwhile a jet lag-free long weekend in Tivoli for me. 23C there. Just got upgraded to club Europe.
    Perfect.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Regarding the Russians bombing themselves. Speculation it was an air launched gliding bomb but the wings did not deploy. Which would mean the Russians launched it directly over one of their own cities. Mad!

The Fighter Bomber says this was probably a UMPK FAB-500M62 glide bomb, but the wings didn't initiate for some reason so the bomb just fell. He says the fuze was set on delay, and detonated as it should (for targeting an underground target). 3/
    https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1649344016209649667
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@JasonGroves1
    A friend of Dominic Raab says he was the victim of ‘Brexit revenge’ by Remainer civil servants

Bexiteers will carry the grievance of their win to their graves...

Oh dear me.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

US Taliban, contd.

Nope. It was applied in the aftermath of the Civil War but it applies to all parts of the Constitution. This has been confirmed on many occasions since then. Yes it is possible - or even likely - that that will change with the current Supreme court but it is a principle that has held for 150 years or more.

Unless of course you know better than the Supreme Court Justices who have repeatedly referenced both the 1st and 14th amendments in their judgements on this.
    None of the current majority Conservative US SC judges have ruled on this case. Just as previous more liberal SC judges have interpreted the 14th amendment more broadly to prevent religious displays in schools certainly doesn't mean this more conservative SC will
  • Options
    JPJ2JPJ2 Posts: 378
    HYFUD said

"No, on the seats average Sarwar will become FM at the next Holyrood election with SCon and SLD confidence and supply"

The SNP seem highly likely to lose seats to Labour in the next UK General Election, partly because of the nature of the FPTP system. I don't see the loss of Holyrood to an anti independence majority in 2026 as at all likely. If the SNP suffer serious losses in the UK GE, then Yousaf will be ousted and probably replaced by Forbes or Flynn, if he holds his seat (which I think is very likely). If they don't suffer severe losses then Yousaf will have performed better than expected and can anticipate staying FM after 2026.

It is a much more difficult task for the unionist parties to gain Holyrood than to defeat the SNP for Westminster (remember the SNP won only 6 seats in the UK GE of 2010).
  • Options
    Unexpectedly bad manufacturing numbers all around (April flash PMIs):

UK:

Manufacturing: act: 46.6, exp: 48.4, prev: 47.9
    Services: act: 54.9, exp: 52.8, prev: 52.9

Eurozone:

Manufacturing: 45.5 v 48.0 exp. (prior 47.3)
    Services: 54.4 v 53.7 exp. (prior 53.7)
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,604
    geoffw said:

algarkirk said:

I spent my first 18 years in Sidcup.
  • Options
    Just to note that at the moment Raab/Spode can comment without let or hindrance to spin a document the rest of us have not seen. The motto of St Trinian's is "Get your blow in first". (Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo).
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

US Taliban, contd.

The protectors of what the public want - and they are entitled to diverse views - are voters not courts. It is not ultra conservative for the SC to say abortion is a matter for voters and their legislators. It places the USA in the same position as the UK.
    Exactly, if conservative and religious US states like Texas elect Republican majority legislatures and Republican governors and want the Ten Commandments displayed in their schools why should a Federal court in Washington DC stop that?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,908
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

@KuperSimon

I reckon Gove, who unlike most Brexiteers isn't stupid, may be the first major Vote Leave figure to recant.
    It would be someone who hates having full employment and pay rises for the working class, especially the northern working class.
    No, it will be someone who recognises that they need to be sacrificed.
    Someone who can tell them that of course it’s in their best interest, for minimum wage to be maximum wage, for 10 people applying for any job, and for half the job adverts to be written in Polish.

Just as well they can’t vote. Oh…
    The warehouse job adverts I saw locally were mostly in English, but some did suggest that being able to speak Russian would be an advantage, rather than Polish.

Apparently Russian was used as a common language between workers from Eastern Europe.

Probably not a thing now...
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,477
    carnforth said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

A classic PB moment.

What happened?

Not cooking leaves more time for other activities? :blush:
  • Options

geoffw said:

algarkirk said:

Let us hope Raab spends the next 18 years on the backbenches
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ouch

I did post yesterday that Asia was experiencing record high temperature for April.
    40 is far from the highest. so you're not doing so badly there.
  • Options
    Brexiteer revenge Raab says.

The PM and all the cabinet are Brexiteers, will they ever accept responsibility for anything? The establishment IS Brexiteers!
  • Options
    So, who replaces Raab?
  • Options

geoffw said:

algarkirk said:

The test is to whisper 'Eulalie Soeurs' to Raab/Spode and see what happens. Jeeves knows.

• Options

geoffw said:

algarkirk said:

Surely 18 months at most
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732
    JPJ2 said:

The resilience of the SNP vote is quite remarkable after recent weeks. MOE movement despite the clusterf***.
  • Options

geoffw said:

algarkirk said:

Given he has a marginal seat, we can dare to hope for rather less than that.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    JPJ2 said:

HYFUD said

"No, on the seats average Sarwar will become FM at the next Holyrood election with SCon and SLD confidence and supply"

The SNP seem highly likely to lose seats to Labour in the next UK General Election, partly because of the nature of the FPTP system. I don't see the loss of Holyrood to an anti independence majority in 2026 as at all likely. If the SNP suffer serious losses in the UK GE, then Yousaf will be ousted and probably replaced by Forbes or Flynn, if he holds his seat (which I think is very likely). If they don't suffer severe losses then Yousaf will have performed better than expected and can anticipate staying FM after 2026.

It is a much more difficult task for the unionist parties to gain Holyrood than to defeat the SNP for Westminster (remember the SNP won only 6 seats in the UK GE of 2010).

The latest MSP seats projector average of all polls has Unionist parties with more MSPs combined than the SNP and Greens. So Sarwar would become FM with confidence and supply support from the SCons and SLDs.

Forbes is also less popular than Sturgeon was
  • Options

kamski said:

kamski said:

malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

Yes I am generally pleased, and I consider that a virtue. That is because I am someone who generally has an optimistic outlook on life and look to find humour where I can. You, on the other hand seem to not be as stupid as Malcolm, but definitely a lot duller and lacking in humour on the the few dreary posts that I can remember you have shared. In fact I can't remember any which says it all.

In addition to your sense of humour deficit, the fact that you want to defend someone that is rude and insulting to anyone who does not share his very narrow extremist views says a lot about you.

So fuck off with your holier-than-thou critique of my refusal to kowtow to a bully. I am not interested in your lack of judgement, just as I imagine not many people on here are interested in your views generally.
    Usually I'd be the last person to defend Malcolm - and him me no doubt - but at least he understands the saying "brevity is the soul of wit"
This discussion has been closed.