Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The SNP’s rapid unscheduled disassembly continues – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,037
    kamski said:

kamski said:

malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

Not close to the SNP, but think it's more likely they will sort themselves out than collapse. These are issues of governance, which are fixable. There's no real alternative to the SNP for a constituency that makes up about half of Scots.

These are issues of party finance, which are not fixable.

Not without anther lottery winner anyway.
    And possible criminality at an institutional level. There will always be those that want to back a party, ideology or individual whatever one learns of them (there are still people that idolise Boris Johnson and Alex Salmond ffs!), but eventually the silent majority that represents common sense quietly turns away.

I would be astonished if the vast majority of decent minded Scottish people do not now start to seriously question full "independence" as a philosophy, if main party that espouses it, the SNP, is shown to be institutionally corrupt and the alternative is led my a man who was described by his QC as a "bully and sex-pest".
    Just what you expect from a dumb cluck, same brain brain again and you would be dangerous loser.
    Lol. Baldrick has entered the room with his playground insults.

How long did it take you to construct your anger filled rant Mr. Thicky, only for it still to be completely unintelligible?

Go back to the University of Life and ask for a refund on your pass degree, or alternatively get yourself a brain brain (sic) implant. The other option is to carry on crying into your jackboots about the inability of your much beloved Fuhrer to persuade the Scottish master race of their need for lebensraum.
    Could you two just get a luxury camper van and do a holiday together?
    Sorry, I don't do caravans or such like, though Baldrick probably does. It could be quite amusing though, I have to admit.

For the record, I only ever respond to his rudeness in kind because many on here seem afraid to do so. He is a small brained anger filled bully, and I have always strongly disliked bullies.

Hence why I am happy Raab has resigned.
    I doubt people are afraid. It just gets quickly boring. You both need to come up with more original insults.
    "Your wife, sir, under the pretense of keeping a bawdy house, is a receiver of stolen goods."

Well, it was considered frightfully amusing in Johnson's day. Wouldn't be original now, of course.
    I don't get it
    Don't blame you. There's a valiant attempt to elucidate it here:

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/400598/what-does-this-insult-mean-your-wife-sir-under-the-pretense-of-keeping-a-baw

Our A-level English teacher thought it was proof of Johnson's brilliance. We begged to differ.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,969

This Thread Has Resigned But Is Innocent Of All Accusations

• Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    Any moment now I expect to read how the rabid Remainers in the tofu-eating wokerati who have hegemony in the senior echelons of the Civil Service have brought down a decent, honourable man.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314
    Leon said:

Leon said:

lol

Thailand notches highest temperature on record as 'monster' heat wave roasts Southeast Asia
    Bill Deger
    Wed, April 19, 2023 at 5:06 PM GMT

https://news.yahoo.com/thailand-notches-highest-temperature-record-160644980.html

Ouch indeed. I'd prefer 8c to 40c personally!
    It’s fine.

Because it only “feels like” 46C

Ouch! That’s like a sandpit summer, but in April. Only 32ºC here today, for the first day of the Eid holiday.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358

Any moment now I expect to read how the rabid Remainers in the tofu-eating wokerati who have hegemony in the senior echelons of the Civil Service have brought down a decent, honourable man.

Upthread...
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799

JPJ2 said:

". All this tells me is that the pro-independence support of younger voters will achieve Scottish independence by demographic inevitability using whatever political vehicle(s) is required in due course.

This old chestnut - if “demographic inevitability” was the case, why has the death of over 400,000 predominantly “No” voters not shifted the polling? I’ve been reading “The Tories will die out” since the 1960s…
    I do love it though, you can stop reading as soon as you see it, nothing sensible will follow its use.
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 14,157
    carnforth said:

So, who replaces Raab?

Lord Philip Hammond? lol
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,037
    AlistairM said:

Regarding the Russians bombing themselves. Speculation it was an air launched gliding bomb but the wings did not deploy. Which would mean the Russians launched it directly over one of their own cities. Mad!

The Fighter Bomber says this was probably a UMPK FAB-500M62 glide bomb, but the wings didn't initiate for some reason so the bomb just fell. He says the fuze was set on delay, and detonated as it should (for targeting an underground target). 3/
    https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1649344016209649667

For some reason the rules of this particular war include a provision that the Russians can lob anything they want at Ukraine from their side of the border but Ukraine dare not retaliate or even protect itself.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,214
    geoffw said:

Leon said:

What did Raab actually DO that was so bad?

I’m sure it was awful and bullying is terrible etc etc but I wouldn’t mind knowing what he actually DID

According to his resignation letter, the KC's report "dismissed all but two of the claims levelled against me". So what were these two things?

It seems a bit odd that 'all but two' of the claims were dismissed.
    So does that mean the civil servants were lying with the other claims? Will 'heads roll' over this?
    I've seen a few of these 'investigations' by KC's, they make for interesting reading, there is often no statutory frame of reference, they have to create the terms of reference, and in doing so they can of course get swayed by a zeitgeist, consciously or unconsciously.
    What was the test applied to the two allegations that were 'proven'? beyond reasonable doubt or 'balance of probabilities'?
    I'd be fascinated to read the CBI review for instance that condemned Danker on the basis of 'inappropriate' behaviour.

• Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 14,157
    kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

Not close to the SNP, but think it's more likely they will sort themselves out than collapse. These are issues of governance, which are fixable. There's no real alternative to the SNP for a constituency that makes up about half of Scots.

And possible criminality at an institutional level. There will always be those that want to back a party, ideology or individual whatever one learns of them (there are still people that idolise Boris Johnson and Alex Salmond ffs!), but eventually the silent majority that represents common sense quietly turns away.

I would be astonished if the vast majority of decent minded Scottish people do not now start to seriously question full "independence" as a philosophy, if main party that espouses it, the SNP, is shown to be institutionally corrupt and the alternative is led my a man who was described by his QC as a "bully and sex-pest".
    Just what you expect from a dumb cluck, same brain brain again and you would be dangerous loser.

How long did it take you to construct your anger filled rant Mr. Thicky, only for it still to be completely unintelligible?

Go back to the University of Life and ask for a refund on your pass degree, or alternatively get yourself a brain brain (sic) implant. The other option is to carry on crying into your jackboots about the inability of your much beloved Fuhrer to persuade the Scottish master race of their need for lebensraum.
    Sorry, I don't do caravans or such like, though Baldrick probably does. It could be quite amusing though, I have to admit.

For the record, I only ever respond to his rudeness in kind because many on here seem afraid to do so. He is a small brained anger filled bully, and I have always strongly disliked bullies.

I doubt people are afraid. It just gets quickly boring. You both need to come up with more original insults.
    I am not sure that is a fair criticism of either of us. Admittedly I have called him Baldrick before, and possibly mentioned the University of Life (titter) but the Scottish master race and lebensraum have not been used before to my recollection. As for Malcolm, he does use the same insults over and over, but the sentence is normally different due to his general challenges with syntax and grammar. I always find it highly entertaining.
    I'm glad you're so easily pleased.

I guess when I said original I should have also said amusing and/or fitting - what has Lebensraum got to do with Malcolm? And pulling a Godwin is kinda the opposite of original.
    Yes I am generally pleased, and I consider that a virtue. That is because I am someone who generally has an optimistic outlook on life and look to find humour where I can. You, on the other hand seem to not be as stupid as Malcolm, but definitely a lot duller and lacking in humour on the the few dreary posts that I can remember you have shared. In fact I can't remember any which says it all.

In addition to your sense of humour deficit, the fact that you want to defend someone that is rude and insulting to anyone who does not share his very narrow extremist views says a lot about you.

So fuck off with your holier-than-thou critique of my refusal to kowtow to a bully. I am not interested in your lack of judgement, just as I imagine not many people on here are interested in your views generally.
    Usually I'd be the last person to defend Malcolm - and him me no doubt - but at least he understands the saying "brevity is the soul of wit"
    Brevity in your case is simply the inability to utilise wit
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,759
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

US Taliban, contd.

Today the Texas Senate passed a bill to force every public school classroom in the state to prominently display a copy of the Ten Commandments.

They also passed a bill to set prayer and bible reading times during the school day.

https://twitter.com/SawyerHackett/status/1649231594719248392

Isn't this in breach of the US Constitution?

The 1st Amendment states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

Whilst the 14th amendment states that all constitutional laws applying to the Federal Government also apply to the State legislatures.

This was upheld by Supreme Court decisions in 1947, 1962 (explicitly banning school prayers), 1968 (preventing the compulsory teaching of religious beliefs) and numerous other occasions resulting in the establishment of the 'Lemon' Test.
    Congress isn't making a law, the Texas legislature is.

Texas is still overwhelmingly Christian and overwhelmingly Republican, after all it voted for Trump even in 2020 and has a Republican Governor, Republican US Senators, most of its US Representatives are Republican as are its state legislatures.

I see no problem with this at all
    As I said in my OP, the 14th Amendment explicitly applies constitutional laws to the actions of State as well as Federal institutions. This has been upheld on numerous occasions by the Supreme Court.
    The 14th Amendment only states the states cannot deprive persons of personal liberty. It does not say schools in individual states cannot be mandated to display the 10 commandments.

Given this new ultra conservative and Christian Supreme Court has struck down Roe v Wade and even allowed states to ban abortion, secular liberals are taking a big gamble saying the SC will strike down this new Texan law
    Educate yourself, HYUFD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution
    ..The Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment imposes on the states the same limitations the First Amendment had always imposed on the Congress.[22] This "elementary proposition of law" was confirmed and endorsed time and time again in cases like Cantwell v. Connecticut, 310 U. S. 296, 303 (1940)[a] and Wooley v. Maynard (1977).[b][25] The central liberty that unifies the various clauses in the First Amendment is the individual's freedom of conscience:[26]..

Though you have a point that nothing can be entirely ruled out with the current nutters on the bench.
  • HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

US Taliban, contd.

Today the Texas Senate passed a bill to force every public school classroom in the state to prominently display a copy of the Ten Commandments.

They also passed a bill to set prayer and bible reading times during the school day.

https://twitter.com/SawyerHackett/status/1649231594719248392

Isn't this in breach of the US Constitution?

The 1st Amendment states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

Whilst the 14th amendment states that all constitutional laws applying to the Federal Government also apply to the State legislatures.

This was upheld by Supreme Court decisions in 1947, 1962 (explicitly banning school prayers), 1968 (preventing the compulsory teaching of religious beliefs) and numerous other occasions resulting in the establishment of the 'Lemon' Test.
    Congress isn't making a law, the Texas legislature is.

Texas is still overwhelmingly Christian and overwhelmingly Republican, after all it voted for Trump even in 2020 and has a Republican Governor, Republican US Senators, most of its US Representatives are Republican as are its state legislatures.

I see no problem with this at all
    As I said in my OP, the 14th Amendment explicitly applies constitutional laws to the actions of State as well as Federal institutions. This has been upheld on numerous occasions by the Supreme Court.
    The 14th Amendment only states the states cannot deprive persons of personal liberty. It does not say schools in individual states cannot be mandated to display the 10 commandments.

Given this new ultra conservative and Christian Supreme Court has struck down Roe v Wade and even allowed states to ban abortion, secular liberals are taking a big gamble saying the SC will strike down this new Texan law
    The protectors of what the public want - and they are entitled to diverse views - are voters not courts. It is not ultra conservative for the SC to say abortion is a matter for voters and their legislators. It places the USA in the same position as the UK.
    Exactly, if conservative and religious US states like Texas elect Republican majority legislatures and Republican governors and want the Ten Commandments displayed in their schools why should a Federal court in Washington DC stop that?
    What's the point, though? Does anybody really take them seriously, apart from the murdering?
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

Out of the fridge into the frying pan

It is 8C and raining back in london. Here in Bangkok it is cloudless and today peaked at 40C

Ouch

What's your jetlag strategy? It took me almost a week to recover last time I flew to that part of the world.
    We switch to local time. For example if we land at 3pm Thailand time we stay awake until at least 10pm. Then get up at 7am with the rest of the family.
  • NEW THREAD

• geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528
    darkage said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

What did Raab actually DO that was so bad?

I’m sure it was awful and bullying is terrible etc etc but I wouldn’t mind knowing what he actually DID

According to his resignation letter, the KC's report "dismissed all but two of the claims levelled against me". So what were these two things?

It seems a bit odd that 'all but two' of the claims were dismissed.
    So does that mean the civil servants were lying with the other claims? Will 'heads roll' over this?
    I've seen a few of these 'investigations' by KC's, they make for interesting reading, there is often no statutory frame of reference, they have to create the terms of reference, and in doing so they can of course get swayed by a zeitgeist, consciously or unconsciously.
    What was the test applied to the two allegations that were 'proven'? beyond reasonable doubt or 'balance of probabilities'?
    I'd be fascinated to read the CBI review for instance that condemned Danker on the basis of 'inappropriate' behaviour.

Chris upthread read between the lines.
    The test can only be on the balance of probabilities.
    Danker could be a victim of the CBI's swaying to the Zeitgeist.

• OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Out of the fridge into the frying pan

It is 8C and raining back in london. Here in Bangkok it is cloudless and today peaked at 40C

Ouch

I did post yesterday that Asia was experiencing record high temperature for April.
    40 is far from the highest. so you're not doing so badly there.
    There were places further north in Thailand where the temperature was up to 44deg.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605

Anyway, back to the big PB news.

Who was 'up' for @NickPalmer last night?

A classic PB moment.

I was there for Palmer. I wouldn’t say ‘up’ though !!
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,869

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Anyway, back to the big PB news.

Who was 'up' for @NickPalmer last night?

A classic PB moment.

LOL! Whoever knew he had it in him? :D
    What happened?
    Turns out Dr Nick is a right "player" and SeanT is just a pale imitation :D

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4376080#Comment_4376080
    lol. Who da thought it. Another person more interesting than I thought. It might have been even more interesting if it had been MMF which might have shocked those of a more trad perspective even more.
    How many European countries would that threesome be legal in today, I wonder?

Germany?
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003

malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

You really are a desperately sad individual, like Gollum horrific but to be pitied nonetheless.
    JPJ2 said:

"peak SNP". That was all the rage when the SNP first came to power in 2007 with around 32% of the vote. It was supposed to be an incredible combination of circumstances that made that SNP victory something that would never be repeated.

The most surprising aspect of this poll is that the SNP remain ahead in spite of an avalanche of anti-SNP propaganda. The nonsense churned out by the 95% anti SNP MSM is starting to become counter productive and has been on a scale much worse than the Tories faced after the Truss debacle.

Yet here we are-Tories miles behind Labour in UK but the SNP still comfortably ahead in Scotland. All this tells me is that the pro-independence support of younger voters will achieve Scottish independence by demographic inevitability using whatever political vehicle(s) is required in due course.

Only a case of when
    kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

I am not sure that is a fair criticism of either of us. Admittedly I have called him Baldrick before, and possibly mentioned the University of Life (titter) but the Scottish master race and lebensraum have not been used before to my recollection. As for Malcolm, he does use the same insults over and over, but the sentence is normally different due to his general challenges with syntax and grammar. I always find it highly entertaining.

I guess when I said original I should have also said amusing and/or fitting - what has Lebensraum got to do with Malcolm? And pulling a Godwin is kinda the opposite of original.
    Yes I am generally pleased, and I consider that a virtue. That is because I am someone who generally has an optimistic outlook on life and look to find humour where I can. You, on the other hand seem to not be as stupid as Malcolm, but definitely a lot duller and lacking in humour on the the few dreary posts that I can remember you have shared. In fact I can't remember any which says it all.

In addition to your sense of humour deficit, the fact that you want to defend someone that is rude and insulting to anyone who does not share his very narrow extremist views says a lot about you.

So fuck off with your holier-than-thou critique of my refusal to kowtow to a bully. I am not interested in your lack of judgement, just as I imagine not many people on here are interested in your views generally.
    Usually I'd be the last person to defend Malcolm - and him me no doubt - but at least he understands the saying "brevity is the soul of wit"
    Easier to get dog shit off your shoes than to shake him off Kamski. He will be stalking you next , a really desperate character. May well be Raab with more time on his hands now if he had shown he had some intelligence.
    JPJ2 said:

HYFUD said

"No, on the seats average Sarwar will become FM at the next Holyrood election with SCon and SLD confidence and supply"

The SNP seem highly likely to lose seats to Labour in the next UK General Election, partly because of the nature of the FPTP system. I don't see the loss of Holyrood to an anti independence majority in 2026 as at all likely. If the SNP suffer serious losses in the UK GE, then Yousaf will be ousted and probably replaced by Forbes or Flynn, if he holds his seat (which I think is very likely). If they don't suffer severe losses then Yousaf will have performed better than expected and can anticipate staying FM after 2026.

It is a much more difficult task for the unionist parties to gain Holyrood than to defeat the SNP for Westminster (remember the SNP won only 6 seats in the UK GE of 2010).

Accurate, few care about Westminster, it is merely a troughers paradise and does nothing for Scotland. You would be hard pushed to get many people who could name more than a few MP's outside an election campaign.

kamski said:

kamski said:

malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

Irony meter exploded
This discussion has been closed.