Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Did Trump fundraise from his election lies? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,127
    Selebian said:

Pulpstar said:

Tres said:

Council round here has moved to phone apps entirely for parking, even though they had machines available which could take contactless payments. Bonkers.

Contactless is great. Phone apps for carparking just shouldn't be allowed. For one thing your debit card won't go out of battery for that 1% of time your phone is out of juice and you can't phone tap the contactless.
    If there's contactless (hell, even chip and pin) then I'm not too bothered about what else is available. Cash for those who prefer/need that should also be provided, I think.

The frustrating thing is that any halfway decent parking app standard would be more convenient for most. Car reg(s) stored in app. Location services pinpoint the car park (or some NFC thing to swipe at worst). Choose your time and go, automatic payment. Extendable without returning to the car park. No queues. Many benefits. The current shit-show is not necessary.
    Surprised by this conversation, I thought on pb.com the done thing was to have the chauffeur drive around the block until you want to be collected?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,700
    Rishi backs our Euros bid with a winking John Major

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cq-DSAFglVQ/
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,779
    edited April 2023
    HYUFD said:

King Charles could be the last monarch

would be better...

Absolutely not, King William will follow and then King George will outlive us all.

We certainly don't want President Johnson or President Blair

I would just caution in life there is no certainty, not least a King William or even more so a King George outliving us all

Though most likely to outlive myself !!!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Was there a portrait of Edwina opposite?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

would be better...

Absolutely not, King William will follow and then King George will outlive us all.

I would just caution in life there is no certainty, not least a King William or even more so a King George outliving us all

If the monarchy can survive Charles and Camilla (and so far they are better than expected) then it will certainly survive with the more popular William and Kate and George. Diana's son and grandson
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Great to see you posting again @HYUFD
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,152

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

'The UK economy saw no growth in February after being hit by the effects of strikes by public sector workers, official figures show.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) said that a rise in construction activity had been offset by walkouts by teachers and civil servants.

It follows a surprise 0.4% jump in economic growth in January.

Despite February's flat performance, the chancellor said the UK's economic outlook was "brighter than expected".

Jeremy Hunt noted that GDP - the measure of economic growth - had grown by 0.1% in the three months to February and the UK was "set to avoid recession".'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65250170

Hmm. Not sure that Hunt is well advised to be publicly wetting himself over 0.1%. That sort of figure can be easily wiped out with a single revision later down the line.
    This is true, but historically GDP has been revised up much more often than down, has it not?

And politically, only the first estimate really counts because it's the one the news notices.
    The catch there is that a lot of people don't even notice the news these days.

And the bottom line hasn't changed. For the UK as a whole, it's going to feel more like a recession than a boom. And for quite a lot of people, it's going to be an actual recession.

Remember the lady in one of the 2016 debates? "I don't care about your GDP, it's not my GDP" or words to that effect.
    I am concerned this growth is all centred in the South East (levelling up, what?). There’s still loads of empty shops in Newcastle, even on Northumberland St, with more homeless than I ever remember. On construction, two of our bigger main contractors have gone bust in the last few months and there does not seem to be much private sector development.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,121
    edited April 2023
    Shocked. More racism and bigotry at The Met.

Eight serving and former Metropolitan police officers have been found guilty of “gross misconduct” over discriminatory and offensive messages they shared, including some which made fun of Katie Price’s disabled son.

The officers – seven men and one woman – were found to have sent sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic and disablist comments in a WhatsApp group called Secret Squirrel Shit between 2016 and 2018.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/apr/13/eight-met-officers-guilty-of-misconduct-over-discriminatory-whatsapp-messages?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,080
    Thank Buddha for clapped out and dilapidated Russian military hardware eh?
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,495

Re the header, we get a lot around Trump but what about the possibility Biden doesn't stand because of a scandal risk and the betting implications there? There has been a number of headlines building up over the few days such as Hunter's business associates visiting the White House 80+ times when JB was VP, even though Biden has denied knowing anything of the visits.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hunter-bidens-business-partners-assistants-visited-white-house-80-times-when-biden-vp

And separately

https://nypost.com/2023/04/11/ex-biden-stenographer-says-fbi-ignored-prezs-role-in-hunters-business-dealings/

What is clear is that (a) the story won't go away and (b) the House will now launch its own investigations. There may be p1ss and wind here but given one of the people involved has said JB was taking bribes, the chances are probably not.

Personally, I think this sort of stuff is more likely to make JB run again because he would have immunity but, if the stories and evidence keep ratcheting up, then there has to be a question whether some of the Democrat establishment at least think they need to look for an alternative.

Then we have this, namely that Robert F Kennedy Jr is running at 10% support in the Democrat vote:

https://unherd.com/thepost/one-in-10-democratic-voters-supports-robert-f-kennedy-jr/

That is way behind Biden and I don't think where things stand now RFK has much of a chance but if Biden's scandals widen and he is seen as a liability, that percentage may rise and RFK becomes more of a potential threat.

I'm not sure I would be backing Biden as the nominee yet.

If you want to waste your money on Trumpian conspiracy theories, go ahead. I would recommend everyone else stick to a more reality-based betting strategy.

• Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,503

Cash is obsolete, expensive and dangerous. Nobody who doesn't want to handle it should ever be obliged to do so.

However if two parties both consensually want to use cash, that should be their prerogative.

Quite rightly though an increasing number of stores will find that they do not find it convenient, which is their right to choose. Everyone has a freedom to choose.

Agreed. Lots of places around me are now cashless. They seem to cope fine!
    Just wait for the next Carrington Event...

The lack of cash has surely changed how people think about money. Handing over a stack of twenties is very different to just waving a card or a phone around. I'm not sure this is a good thing.

Having a physical token is also a good reminder that it is essentially worthless unless guaranteed by somebody.

I'm not a techno-refusenik but I still use cash.
    Perhaps your phone should give you a small electric shock, the length of which is related to the value of the payment?
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 865
    Cookie said:

Re: cash, someone said to me the other day, have you seen the 'new' 50pm coin?

I replied that I hadn't seen it, nor a 50p coin of any kind, old, middle-aged or new, for about a decade.

All that said, upon meeting a colleague for the first time in 2 years recently, I was shocked to find he no longer even carries a wallet - just does everything on his phone. Does he not worry about running out of battery? Does he not worry about losing his phone? Does he not worry about having his phone but not his glasses? Apparently not. Not for me, Clive.
    That could be me, I don't carry round a wallet or a card, just my phone:

1) I have a charger at home and at work so don't need to worry on a day to day basis. If you forget another time then just manage battery life - extreme power saving lasts forever and you don't need internet to pay.

2) If I lose my phone then yes, I'd have to ask someone for help. But same applies to wallets, and I find I'm more likely to lose a wallet as I use it so infrequently so there's no need to check it's whereabouts.

3) Phone payments you just need to unlock phone, no need for glasses.

• Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,503
    I pay for everything with my phone because I can't remember what my pin is half the time. It's never been blocked by the bank/Amex.

Petrol stations are a bit of a nightmare - had to ask my girlfriend to get her card out last time.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,495

Tres said:

Re the header, we get a lot around Trump but what about the possibility Biden doesn't stand because of a scandal risk and the betting implications there? There has been a number of headlines building up over the few days such as Hunter's business associates visiting the White House 80+ times when JB was VP, even though Biden has denied knowing anything of the visits.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hunter-bidens-business-partners-assistants-visited-white-house-80-times-when-biden-vp

And separately

https://nypost.com/2023/04/11/ex-biden-stenographer-says-fbi-ignored-prezs-role-in-hunters-business-dealings/

What is clear is that (a) the story won't go away and (b) the House will now launch its own investigations. There may be p1ss and wind here but given one of the people involved has said JB was taking bribes, the chances are probably not.

Personally, I think this sort of stuff is more likely to make JB run again because he would have immunity but, if the stories and evidence keep ratcheting up, then there has to be a question whether some of the Democrat establishment at least think they need to look for an alternative.

Then we have this, namely that Robert F Kennedy Jr is running at 10% support in the Democrat vote:

https://unherd.com/thepost/one-in-10-democratic-voters-supports-robert-f-kennedy-jr/

That is way behind Biden and I don't think where things stand now RFK has much of a chance but if Biden's scandals widen and he is seen as a liability, that percentage may rise and RFK becomes more of a potential threat.

I'm not sure I would be backing Biden as the nominee yet.

here you are, banging on about hunter biden again, it must be a day that ends in y
    Have I banged on about him before? Remind me.

Anyway, I think it's far more applicable to say for this site, it's a day that ends in y, let's talk (again) about Donald Trump and what he has done wrong - as if we didn't know already.
    We talk about him because he keeps doing more things wrong!
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,253

Driver said:

Pulpstar said:

Tres said:

Council round here has moved to phone apps entirely for parking, even though they had machines available which could take contactless payments. Bonkers.

Contactless is great. Phone apps for carparking just shouldn't be allowed. For one thing your debit card won't go out of battery for that 1% of time your phone is out of juice and you can't phone tap the contactless.
    People don't charge their phones in their cars?
    The charging speed on all car ports is very poor. No idea why its so slow.
    Most OEMs only put 2.5W into the USB ports. Honourable exception: BMW. They put 15W into the USB C ports in the iX and it has 3 USB controllers (that I can find on the K-Bus/MOST network) so the 15W is only shared across 2 devices.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,779
    edited April 2023
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

would be better...

If the monarchy can survive Charles and Camilla (and so far they are better than expected) then it will certainly survive with the more popular William and Kate and George. Diana's son and grandson
    Times change, opinions change, and health and accidents happen - hence there is no certainty

I expect a lot of antipathy towards the coronation and some of it will be embarrassingly archaic

I do not see Charles and Camilla as anywhere near the late Queen and expect a gradual slide in their popularity and indeed the monarchy

By the way good to see you back posting
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,108
    edited April 2023
    Dura_Ace said:

Driver said:

Pulpstar said:

Tres said:

Most OEMs only put 2.5W into the USB ports. Honourable exception: BMW. They put 15W into the USB C ports in the iX and it has 3 USB controllers (that I can find on the K-Bus/MOST network) so the 15W is only shared across 2 devices.
    Blimey. No wonder charging is so slow, 2.5 watts is barely break even on Telegram I think. My Peugeot will certainly be no more than the minimum.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,038
    Ratters said:

Cookie said:

I replied that I hadn't seen it, nor a 50p coin of any kind, old, middle-aged or new, for about a decade.

All that said, upon meeting a colleague for the first time in 2 years recently, I was shocked to find he no longer even carries a wallet - just does everything on his phone. Does he not worry about running out of battery? Does he not worry about losing his phone? Does he not worry about having his phone but not his glasses? Apparently not. Not for me, Clive.

1) I have a charger at home and at work so don't need to worry on a day to day basis. If you forget another time then just manage battery life - extreme power saving lasts forever and you don't need internet to pay.

2) If I lose my phone then yes, I'd have to ask someone for help. But same applies to wallets, and I find I'm more likely to lose a wallet as I use it so infrequently so there's no need to check it's whereabouts.

Not even a twenty stashed somewhere? Apps and banks fail. Remember TSB's screw up?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,307

Selebian said:

What joyous news.

King Charles could be the last monarch on a banknote as cash loses its crown

Digital payments dominate amid increasing obsolescence of cash

Halfway through 2024, King Charles III will become only the second monarch to see his portrait launched into circulation on British banknotes. It is feasible that his likeness will be the last one on a banknote that is ever actually used.

The use of cash is collapsing around the world. De La Rue, a firm which designs a third of the world’s banknotes, says global demand for physical currency has hit a 20-year low. Card, mobile and digital wallet payments are replacing traditional payment methods at a swift rate.

Globally, between 2018 and 2022, the value of global cash transactions fell from $11.6 trillion (£9.3 trillion) to $7.7 trillion, a drop of a third, according to financial services firm FIS.

Last year, cash accounted for just 16pc of transactions worldwide. By 2026, global cash transactions will be worth only $6 trillion, making up just one in 10 payments, FIS has forecast.

By this measure, the UK is ahead of the curve: last year, cash already accounted for only a tenth of point of sale transactions.

In the 10 years to 2031, cash payments will slump by another 52pc, according to UK Finance, the lender trade body. Debit card payments, already the dominant method for settling up, will have surged by nearly a quarter in that time.

“We are going to have to start preparing for a very, very low cash society,” says John Howells, chief executive of Link, the UK’s cash machine network.

“Cash will be a store for safety, but as a means of payment it is already dropping fast, and that is going to continue. I think in 15 or 20 years’ time that could have virtually disappeared.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/04/13/king-charles-iii-cash-banknote-money-payments/

It will become a legal requirement for all bank cards to prominently feature KCIII's face. And mobile payment apps will play a short video of KCIII for every transaction.

(Off-topic, got £50 in cash yesterday for selling something on FB marketplace - commented to my wife that I had no real idea what to look for to check whether a bank note is real any more, handling them - particularly since the switch to plastic - so rarely.)
    I'd like to see that on all Dura Ace's cards.
    For security, that you will have to sing the full version of God Save The King for each transaction.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,164
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Ghedebrav said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

would be better...

You may not, but lots of people would rather not have someone in a position simply by act of birth.

Its the 21st century.
    About 25% of the population don't admittedly but even Corbyn won more than that in 2019.

A ceremonial constitutional monarch and head of state world renowned is far better than a divisive elected party political head of state or a nonentity ceremonial President.

Plenty of people still have jobs by birth, from farmers to family business owners anyway
    Can you explain why? Do we need a head of state that is not the PM?
    As the PM is head of government NOT head of state which should be above party politics.

See the US, Brazil or effectively France for the problems that come when the head of government is also head of state and the divisions that produces
    Absent a monarch, what is the best approach here? The Irish model?
    No, Higgins is an ex Irish Labour politician himself and little known outside Ireland.

His wife also has not been very supportive of Zelensky
    https://www.politico.eu/article/irish-president-wife-sabina-higgins-russia-ukraine-peace-letter/
    And, he's a bit of a wanker, too.
    I wouldn't go that far but https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/who-michael-d-higgins-irish-21602588
    He's very much Ireland's Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Cash is obsolete, expensive and dangerous. Nobody who doesn't want to handle it should ever be obliged to do so.

However if two parties both consensually want to use cash, that should be their prerogative.

Quite rightly though an increasing number of stores will find that they do not find it convenient, which is their right to choose. Everyone has a freedom to choose.

Agreed. Lots of places around me are now cashless. They seem to cope fine!
    Just wait for the next Carrington Event...

The lack of cash has surely changed how people think about money. Handing over a stack of twenties is very different to just waving a card or a phone around. I'm not sure this is a good thing.

Having a physical token is also a good reminder that it is essentially worthless unless guaranteed by somebody.

I'm not a techno-refusenik but I still use cash.
    Perhaps your phone should give you a small electric shock, the length of which is related to the value of the payment?
    A video of the correct amount of notes being burnt, KLF style?
  • Options
    Driver said:

Selebian said:

Pulpstar said:

Tres said:

If there's contactless (hell, even chip and pin) then I'm not too bothered about what else is available. Cash for those who prefer/need that should also be provided, I think.

The frustrating thing is that any halfway decent parking app standard would be more convenient for most. Car reg(s) stored in app. Location services pinpoint the car park (or some NFC thing to swipe at worst). Choose your time and go, automatic payment. Extendable without returning to the car park. No queues. Many benefits. The current shit-show is not necessary.
    The trouble with car parks is that accepting cash does add significant extra costs to the operator - and even card payments has some extra costs over a phone app.

But for most businesses, the idea that handling cash is more expensive than card payments is absurd to me and suggests that something dodgy is going on with the banking system.
    Handling cash means people counting cash, with access to cash. This is more expensive and there is the theft risk.

Armed robbery has largely died because most people are paid through their bank accounts - the days of the wages van being hit by Proper Villains (TM) and John Thaw shooting it out with them with a .38 with no barrel to speak of, are long long gone.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,332

HYUFD said:

'The UK economy saw no growth in February after being hit by the effects of strikes by public sector workers, official figures show.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) said that a rise in construction activity had been offset by walkouts by teachers and civil servants.

Despite February's flat performance, the chancellor said the UK's economic outlook was "brighter than expected".

Jeremy Hunt noted that GDP - the measure of economic growth - had grown by 0.1% in the three months to February and the UK was "set to avoid recession".'

Hmm. Not sure that Hunt is well advised to be publicly wetting himself over 0.1%. That sort of figure can be easily wiped out with a single revision later down the line.
    Not sure if any one has ever studied this, but the revisions almost always seem to be up to me. See also the triple dip that never happened.
    Yes it is well known that revisions to UK GDP tend to be upwards (not always, but more likely than not). The BOE produces a backcast of recent GDP data for its forecasts to account for this - it is a bit higher than the official data.
    UK official data quality is not very high. If I was going to be controversial I would say that moving the ONS to Newport probably contributes to this - it's harder to get good statisticians in Newport than in London.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Driver said:

Selebian said:

Pulpstar said:

Tres said:

The trouble with car parks is that accepting cash does add significant extra costs to the operator - and even card payments has some extra costs over a phone app.

But for most businesses, the idea that handling cash is more expensive than card payments is absurd to me and suggests that something dodgy is going on with the banking system.
    Handling cash means people counting cash, with access to cash. This is more expensive and there is the theft risk.

Armed robbery has largely died because most people are paid through their bank accounts - the days of the wages van being hit by Proper Villains (TM) and John Thaw shooting it out with them with a .38 with no barrel to speak of, are long long gone.
    You can still hit jewellers' but the problem is that those who are competent at doing so are well known to the police.

Armed robbers used to be the elite of the underworld, because you had to be very careful and level-headed. The last person you'd want on the job was some trigger-happy fool.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

would be better...

Times change, opinions change, and health and accidents happen - hence there is no certainty

I expect a lot of antipathy towards the coronation and some of it will be embarrassingly archaic

I do not see Charles and Camilla as anywhere near the late Queen and expect a gradual slide in their popularity and indeed the monarchy

There have been far more unpopular monarchs than Charles III, from George IV to latterly Edward VIII, James II and Charles I. The monarchy has evolved and survived and the current constitutional monarchy we have works.

We were lucky to have had Elizabeth II for most of our adult lives who was a great monarch but the monarchy was here for 1000 years before her and will be now she has gone.

We also haven't had a coronation for 70 years. The French and Americans have Presidential inaugurations every 5 or 4 years
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 56,595
    edited April 2023
    Sean_F said:

What joyous news.

Halfway through 2024, King Charles III will become only the second monarch to see his portrait launched into circulation on British banknotes. It is feasible that his likeness will be the last one on a banknote that is ever actually used.

The use of cash is collapsing around the world. De La Rue, a firm which designs a third of the world’s banknotes, says global demand for physical currency has hit a 20-year low. Card, mobile and digital wallet payments are replacing traditional payment methods at a swift rate.

Globally, between 2018 and 2022, the value of global cash transactions fell from $11.6 trillion (£9.3 trillion) to $7.7 trillion, a drop of a third, according to financial services firm FIS.

Last year, cash accounted for just 16pc of transactions worldwide. By 2026, global cash transactions will be worth only $6 trillion, making up just one in 10 payments, FIS has forecast.

By this measure, the UK is ahead of the curve: last year, cash already accounted for only a tenth of point of sale transactions.

In the 10 years to 2031, cash payments will slump by another 52pc, according to UK Finance, the lender trade body. Debit card payments, already the dominant method for settling up, will have surged by nearly a quarter in that time.

“We are going to have to start preparing for a very, very low cash society,” says John Howells, chief executive of Link, the UK’s cash machine network.

“Cash will be a store for safety, but as a means of payment it is already dropping fast, and that is going to continue. I think in 15 or 20 years’ time that could have virtually disappeared.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/04/13/king-charles-iii-cash-banknote-money-payments/

I can think of plenty of places that will still *only* take cash, but they probably don't show up in the official numbers.
    I don't think cash will ever die out, even if it declines to only 5-10% of official transactions. And there are places that still can't get (and may never reliably get) a signal.

And, it only takes one incidence of 'the system' going down before everyone starts keeping £50 in their wallets again.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,746
    Eabhal said:

I pay for everything with my phone because I can't remember what my pin is half the time. It's never been blocked by the bank/Amex.

Petrol stations are a bit of a nightmare - had to ask my girlfriend to get her card out last time.

Change it to 5128, then you’ll always remember.
  • Options
    Premier league clubs agree to stop betting advertisements on their shirts from season 2025/26

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league-gambling-shirt-sponsor-ban-b2319114.html
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,746
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

would be better...

There have been far more unpopular monarchs than Charles III, from George IV to latterly Edward VIII, James II and Charles I. The monarchy has evolved and survived and the current constitutional monarchy we have works.

We were lucky to have had Elizabeth II for most of our adult lives who was a great monarch but the monarchy was here for 1000 years before her and will be now she has gone.

We also haven't had a coronation for 70 years. The French and Americans have Presidential inaugurations every 5 or 4 years
    Interestingly and purely anecdotally a lot of people I’m speaking to are planning on watching the coronation or doing something for it - even those ambivalent or even soft-anti monarchist. There is a bit of an appreciation of the history of the occasion, even if people think the concept a little odd.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Driver said:

Selebian said:

Pulpstar said:

Tres said:

You can still hit jewellers' but the problem is that those who are competent at doing so are well known to the police.
    The other problem is that jewellery fashion has swung to sterling silver and semi precious stones - at least that's what a jeweller who I used to buy presents for my wife from told me. You get nothing for that as resale.

Aside from the watches, and a small mega bling market, that is.

I think I mentioned the story I was told by a friend about an armed robbery at a jewellers, where he was on the jury. Incompetent was definitely the defining characteristic.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,296
    Sean_F said:

Driver said:

Selebian said:

Pulpstar said:

Tres said:

That's just reminded me of the time I worked in retail and did cash office periodically. I remember having to take bundles of cash - five figures - to the bank by myself. I'd have been easy pickings for a smart robber who had done a fairly simple job of casing the shop for a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,875

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

This is true, but historically GDP has been revised up much more often than down, has it not?

And politically, only the first estimate really counts because it's the one the news notices.
    The catch there is that a lot of people don't even notice the news these days.

And the bottom line hasn't changed. For the UK as a whole, it's going to feel more like a recession than a boom. And for quite a lot of people, it's going to be an actual recession.

Remember the lady in one of the 2016 debates? "I don't care about your GDP, it's not my GDP" or words to that effect.
    I am concerned this growth is all centred in the South East (levelling up, what?). There’s still loads of empty shops in Newcastle, even on Northumberland St, with more homeless than I ever remember. On construction, two of our bigger main contractors have gone bust in the last few months and there does not seem to be much private sector development.
    Tolent going "bust" has not helped the flawed Milburngate development in Durham either.

It is not all South East the growth, Manchester is creating plenty of jobs. But then it has good local leadership who seem interested in economic development.

When the North East finally gets its Mayor it will either be Kim McGuinness, a waste of space as PCC, or the current incumbent Jamie something or other. A man so anoymous his parents probably have forgotten who he is. Neither seem interested in our economy or plans for growth.
  • Options

Driver said:

Selebian said:

Pulpstar said:

Tres said:

And why bother when you can just phone them up from a third country and con them out of it instead?
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Cookie said:

Really?

Up until 2020, I had a coin jar, which accumulated change through the year and was periodically taken to the bank - it used to get about £400 a year in change. Since the pandemic, it no longer builds up ,and I have to go out of my way from time to time to get change to keep it stocked. But I do still need coins, for reasons including, er:
    - transactions with children (the tooth fairy doesn't bring plastic)
    - tips in restaurants (I want my money to go to the specific waiter/waitress who provided the service)
    - buskers
    - parking (most car parks accept payment by app but that is a massive pain in the arse, particularly if I don't have my glasses with me)
    - filling a pint glass with, then pissing in it and throwing it from on high at 15 year old girls who have a different favourite football team to me (joking - I'm not a Liverpool fan).

It's not a massive list. But cash isn't dead yet.
    Agree with this. Kids like coins and notes too, and the implicit value of a physical item is important in teaching the value of a thing, which is harder to do with digital money.

Side note, but car park apps can get in the sea, in a bin, sealed in concrete and covered in warnings to prevent future generations from ever repeating our mistakes.
    The only major parking fines I've had are from totally impenetrable car park apps that didn't work or couldn't connect.

I now avoid such places, except where I can use RingGo. It's a scam.
  • Options

Premier league clubs agree to stop betting advertisements on their shirts from season 2025/26

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league-gambling-shirt-sponsor-ban-b2319114.html

Of course the puritan anti gambling fanatics are now targetting advertising billboards at the grounds.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Not sure if any one has ever studied this, but the revisions almost always seem to be up to me. See also the triple dip that never happened.
    Yes it is well known that revisions to UK GDP tend to be upwards (not always, but more likely than not). The BOE produces a backcast of recent GDP data for its forecasts to account for this - it is a bit higher than the official data.
    UK official data quality is not very high. If I was going to be controversial I would say that moving the ONS to Newport probably contributes to this - it's harder to get good statisticians in Newport than in London.
    It's a problem that goes back a long time (it turns out the economy grew much faster, from 1976-79, and 1985-90 than initially thought). I don't think it's down to bad statisticians (the ONS is generally reckoned to be very good) as that it's just very hard to measure GDP, and the ONS are expected to produce initial estimates within a very short timeframe.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

would be better...

There is no certainty that we will always have a monarchy and it is undeniably losing popularity

It very much depends on the behaviour of the royals, their ability to adapt to change, and the support of the younger generation going forward

I am ambivalent to the monarchy or a presidency but change happens, often quickly but also gradually through time
  • Options
    I would legislate for the right to cash.

If it's legal tender it's legal tender.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Driver said:

Selebian said:

Pulpstar said:

Tres said:

The other problem is that jewellery fashion has swung to sterling silver and semi precious stones - at least that's what a jeweller who I used to buy presents for my wife from told me. You get nothing for that as resale.

Aside from the watches, and a small mega bling market, that is.

I think I mentioned the story I was told by a friend about an armed robbery at a jewellers, where he was on the jury. Incompetent was definitely the defining characteristic.
    You still see plenty of gold, platinum, and diamonds for sale, as far as I can tell.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Ghedebrav said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

would be better...

You may not, but lots of people would rather not have someone in a position simply by act of birth.

Its the 21st century.
    About 25% of the population don't admittedly but even Corbyn won more than that in 2019.

A ceremonial constitutional monarch and head of state world renowned is far better than a divisive elected party political head of state or a nonentity ceremonial President.

Plenty of people still have jobs by birth, from farmers to family business owners anyway
    As the PM is head of government NOT head of state which should be above party politics.

See the US, Brazil or effectively France for the problems that come when the head of government is also head of state and the divisions that produces
    No, Higgins is an ex Irish Labour politician himself and little known outside Ireland.

https://www.politico.eu/article/irish-president-wife-sabina-higgins-russia-ukraine-peace-letter/
    The IRFU always seem to trot him out to shake hands with the teams before the internationals at Lansdowne Park.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

What joyous news.

I can think of plenty of places that will still *only* take cash, but they probably don't show up in the official numbers.
    I don't think cash will ever die out, even if it declines to only 5-10% of official transactions. And there are places that still can't get (and may never reliably get) a signal.

And, it only takes one incidence of 'the system' going down before everyone starts keeping £50 in their wallets again.
    It appears some Chinese restaurants in our area only accept cash and that does raise questions for me, and I avoid them
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

would be better...

Important Republics would not surround themselves with the trappings of monarchy (lavish inaugurations, orders of chivalry etc.) unless such things were appealing to much of the population.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,590
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Ghedebrav said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

would be better...

Its the 21st century.

Phew, a relief that PB whining about pols in a country in which the whiner does not live has moved on from France. Scotland and Germany still to come no doubt.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Of course the puritan anti gambling fanatics are now targetting advertising billboards at the grounds.
    Those video billboards are a menace and should definitely be targeted.
  • Options
    On topic, Trump is malignant and utterly lacking in any morals or scruples whatsoever, but Biden is also a tone-deaf prat.

I can't think of any American President who could have pissed the NI Unionists off more yesterday, even if he'd celebrated the Easter Rising or the vision of Eamon de Valera.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,639
    IanB2 said:

Eabhal said:

Change it to 5128, then you’ll always remember.
    If he were a Rangers supporter ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EQCpQbUrzI
  • Options

Taz said:

How are they a menace ?

When I watch an EPL Soccer game on SKY, admittedly not often, I cannot say I notice them that much.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,816
    edited April 2023
    Dura_Ace said:

There's a reason they aren't called "Hitiles"...
    A hittile is a missile (usually AA) designed to penetrate the target, rather than explode near it, is it not ?

These are more hit-and-missiles.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

would be better...

There is no certainty that we will always have a monarchy and it is undeniably losing popularity

It very much depends on the behaviour of the royals, their ability to adapt to change, and the support of the younger generation going forward

I am ambivalent to the monarchy or a presidency but change happens, often quickly but also gradually through time
    William and Kate in particular are popular across the ages, even if Charles and Camilla are far more popular with the old than the young.
  • Options

I have noticed around the toon more and more food and drink places are card only.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Shirt fronts only, sleeves and billboards still allowed.

For now - it's surely certain that gambling spononsorship is going the same way as cigarette sponsorship sooner or later.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,772
    Dura_Ace said:

Driver said:

Pulpstar said:

Tres said:

what is it from the cigarette lighters?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Ghedebrav said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

would be better...

Its the 21st century.

Phew, a relief that PB whining about pols in a country in which the whiner does not live has moved on from France. Scotland and Germany still to come no doubt.
    We don't just comment on English affairs, here.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Taz said:

Taz said:

How are they a menace ?

When I watch an EPL Soccer game on SKY, admittedly not often, I cannot say I notice them that much.
    I find them pretty distracting, I have to say. Static ones are fine. I suppose that's the idea.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,119

On topic, Trump is malignant and utterly lacking in any morals or scruples whatsoever, but Biden is also a tone-deaf prat.

I can't think of any American President who could have pissed the NI Unionists off more yesterday, even if he'd celebrated the Easter Rising or the vision of Eamon de Valera.

He could have sung A Soldier's Song. In Irish.
  • Options
    Taz said:

I have noticed around the toon more and more food and drink places are card only.
    Yes, which excludes lots of people.

It's not on, and it's not a real choice if legal tender is refused.

Cash isn't American Express.
  • Options
    Driver said:

For now - it's surely certain that gambling spononsorship is going the same way as cigarette sponsorship sooner or later.
    Yes it is. The puritans are already campaigning to remove the latter.

It will be advertising on TV next.

Thank the Lord we have people to protect us from ourselves.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,229
    edited April 2023
    Afternoon everyone.

My favourite funny of the day. Macclesfield.

• Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,375

I missed that. What are the DUP fuming about now?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,816
    ydoethur said:

He could have sung A Soldier's Song. In Irish.
    He offered a $4bn bribe instead.
    On past form, that's likely to outweigh any insult.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Driver said:

I'd vote in a second for anyone who said they would ban advertising on paid for TV. Or indeed subscription websites.

It royally pisses me off when I've paid to access something and then have to sit through five minutes of tedious badly written adverts for junk I won't buy before I can actually watch/read/listen to it.
  • Options

It's not the DUP.

Biden praised the Black & Tans rather than the All Blacks yesterday.
  • Options

Labour MPs have this week received yet another pay rise, of £2,440. Yet they won't support a single worker asking for the same, or even half that amount. What is the point of the Labour Party?

SKS fans please explain

We are stuck politically. There are small groups on left and right who point to the genuine structural problems we have. They follow their political ideology and propose solutions.

You are at one end of that spectrum. Bart and the Trussites are at the other end of the spectrum.

The problem for both is that you are unelectable. The bulk of people in the middle have been made so disconnected with how anything works or even the reality of their own situation that they don't accept the proposed solutions.

You and I will both agree that pay needs to rise, even though we're coming at it from opposite sides. The issue is that if you can't carry the electorate with you, your ideas remain ideas.

Which is how after decades of relatively radical political changes we have become stuck with the post-Thatcher settlement. And neither Corbynism nor Trussism are possible. So we get shades of the same thing offered by supposedly competing parties.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

What joyous news.

It appears some Chinese restaurants in our area only accept cash and that does raise questions for me, and I avoid them
    All taxis and hire cars registered in St Albans will now be forced to take cards.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

What joyous news.

All taxis and hire cars registered in St Albans will now be forced to take cards.
    Christmas cards or birthday cards?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Ghedebrav said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

would be better...

Its the 21st century.

He looks like he's a pensioner that's been fished out of a rural pub in deepest darkest County Sligo and shoved awkwardly into a brand new suit.

Same is probably true of Michael Higgins.
  • Options

It's not the DUP.

Er, I thought the Unionists approved of the RIC and the Auxies?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,636
    On topic,

I have an old gmail account from the day it was launched that gets a lot of emails from people subscribing to things and forgetting their email isn't XYZ@gmail it's XYC1234@gmail.com

From November 2020 onwards Trump sent a lot of emails that were people that claimed to be about paying for legal costs to challenge the result but hidden in the email is the reality that it the money was going into Trump's general campaign fund.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

Driver said:

Pulpstar said:

Tres said:

120W but most of it will be lost in heat in the eBay 12v DC USB charger thing.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,229
    Nigelb said:

Germany aims to ‘set the record straight’ on China after Macron’s Taiwan comments
    As German Foreign Minister Baerbock heads to China, Berlin is keen to stress that Europe will neither let Taiwan nor the US down.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/berlin-aims-to-set-the-record-straight-after-macrons-taiwan-controversy-aggressive-military-maneuvers/

I've not been impressed with the Politico coverage of Macron Goes to China.

Here's an interview (in English) with Baerbock by Deutsche Welle.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB-5miVUf3I
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

What joyous news.

Christmas cards or birthday cards?
    What suit? Birthday suits?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

A hittile is a missile (usually AA) designed to penetrate the target, rather than explode near it, is it not ?

I think it started as a joke when some of the newer missiles started show a startling ability to nearly always hit the target.

As opposed to things like the old Sparrow AAM, which occasionally hit something by accident.

Then the marketing men started using “hittile”
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Ghedebrav said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

would be better...

Its the 21st century.

He looks like he's a pensioner that's been fished out of a rural pub in deepest darkest County Sligo and shoved awkwardly into a brand new suit.

Like recent male Conservative Prime Ministers, on average, in other words.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,136
    Bizarre times, as the country moves to the left on economic issues, Labour isn’t there, it’s moved right!
    Murdoch paper leading with half of Tory voters wanting energy to be nationalised. Just after Starmer has abandoned the existing Labour policy to do precisely that.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Taz said:

Driver said:

I'd vote in a second for anyone who said they would ban advertising on paid for TV. Or indeed subscription websites.

It royally pisses me off when I've paid to access something and then have to sit through five minutes of tedious badly written adverts for junk I won't buy before I can actually watch/read/listen to it.
    Absolutely agree on all counts. Most ads today are terrible on mainstream TV, even worse on Youtube (I watch more Youtube than most terrestrial channels)

Problem is, if they did that,the argument goes then you will have to pay more for your current choice of channels or your package of channels will be reduced.

It is interesting to see Greatest Hits radio now offers a premium, no advert, option for a small fee.
  • Options

Bizarre times, as the country moves to the left on economic issues, Labour isn’t there, it’s moved right!
    Murdoch paper leading with half of Tory voters wanting energy to be nationalised. Just after Starmer has abandoned the existing Labour policy to do precisely that.

Do they want to *pay* for it to be nationalised?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Ghedebrav said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

would be better...

Its the 21st century.

‘Wanker’ being the top quality commentary we’ve come to expect,

You’ll be calling next for Guardian-esque letter writing campaigns to the voters in countries not your own. Tbf that’s about as close to regime change as the mangy old UK could manage nowadays.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

Driver said:

Pulpstar said:

Tres said:

I got one from Tesco for about £8, seems to be pretty effective.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Ghedebrav said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

would be better...

Its the 21st century.

As someone eligible for an Irish passport (not claimed it) - quite a few Irish people think he is wanker.
    Carnyx said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Ghedebrav said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

would be better...

Its the 21st century.

Like recent male Conservative Prime Ministers, on average, in other words.
    John Major
    David Cameron
    Rishi Sunak

Hmm can’t say any of them really match “pensioner that's been fished out of a rural pub in deepest darkest County Sligo and shoved awkwardly into a brand new suit.”
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,016

Surprised by this conversation, I thought on pb.com the done thing was to have the chauffeur drive around the block until you want to be collected?

EV doesn't have the range for that...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

It's not the DUP.

Surely only thin skinned, humourless bigots could take offence at such a misspeak?
    Oh, I see.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,772
    Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

Driver said:

Pulpstar said:

Tres said:

tyvm
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,296

Taz said:

Yes, which excludes lots of people.

It's not on, and it's not a real choice if legal tender is refused.

Cash isn't American Express.
    I get why small business - food trucks and whatnot - go cashless. If you're running a business solo it removes a hell of a lot of headaches and admin.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

I think it started as a joke when some of the newer missiles started show a startling ability to nearly always hit the target.

As opposed to things like the old Sparrow AAM, which occasionally hit something by accident.

Then the marketing men started using “hittile”
    The Sparrow came good in the end and the AIM-7M that we had on the F-14 was a hell of a weapon with a very good solid state seeker and a monster 40kg warhead that would fuck your day right up. Sparrow got more air to air kills than any other weapon in GW1.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,817

Carnyx said:

It's not the DUP.

Surely only thin skinned, humourless bigots could take offence at such a misspeak?
    Oh, I see.
    I think the story was that Joe Biden was celebrating the fact that his distant relative Rob Kierney (Irish rugby player) had given the All Blacks 'a good hiding' (I think). Except he didn't say All Blacks, he said Black and Tans.

To be honest, I think the original would have been ruder (if I'm right). The latter is just an old man misspeaking. Again.
    Black and Tans appears to be trending on Bing now (don't judge me, it's my work home page).
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,203

Just solved the WFH conundrum.

Convert the offices into flats. Each employee gets one of the flats - complete with desk etc - to live in while they work at the company.

That way, everyone is 100% WFH. And 100% in the office. And the commercial real estate market doesn't collapse.

How nice would you be to your boss if they could kick you out on the street?

• Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469
    Apparently neither Nicola Sturgeon nor Peter Murrell can drive. Neither can the Transport Secretary Kevin Stewart. Imagine that in a country like Scotland with its huge rural hinterland and lack of public transport options.
    Not the curiousity to learn and get about their own country - beyond the Central Belt. Possibly explains the current tone-deafness to what so many people think and the SNP obsession with keeping the Greens onside. The growing political division in Scotland driven by geography is something to keep an eye on.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,953

Apparently neither Nicola Sturgeon nor Peter Murrell can drive. Neither can the Transport Secretary Kevin Stewart. Imagine that in a country like Scotland with its huge rural hinterland and lack of public transport options.
    Not the curiousity to learn and get about their own country - beyond the Central Belt. Possibly explains the current tone-deafness to what so many people think and the SNP obsession with keeping the Greens onside. The growing political division in Scotland driven by geography is something to keep an eye on.

That is indeed profoundly odd.
  • Options

Just solved the WFH conundrum.

Convert the offices into flats. Each employee gets one of the flats - complete with desk etc - to live in while they work at the company.

That way, everyone is 100% WFH. And 100% in the office. And the commercial real estate market doesn't collapse.

How nice would you be to your boss if they could kick you out on the street?

Company flat... Company Town.... add in a Company Gym and a Company Shop?
  • Options

Wy buy a "Battle Bus"? Surely the smart move is to rent one, just as everyone else does?
  • Options

Too obsessed with politics to do anything else?

That really is bizarre. Has she ever been on a ferry?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,016

There were comments earlier about the expensive camper van not being used.

It never moved, but does that mean it was never used???
  • Options

What joyous news.

There is some very precise definition wording going on “second monarch to see his portrait launched into circulation”

What does that actually mean?

Clearly there have been more than 2 monarchs with their picture on bank notes
  • Options

What joyous news.

There is some very precise definition wording going on “second monarch to see his portrait launched into circulation”

What does that actually mean?

Clearly there have been more than 2 monarchs with their picture on bank notes
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,827
    "A male GP has been prevented from donating blood to the Scottish NHS after he refused to confirm whether or not he was pregnant.

Steffen McAndrew, who works in Prestwick, South Ayrshire, said he had been turned away from a blood donation centre in nearby Ayr after he refused to answer a “bonkers” question about if he was carrying a baby."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/04/13/scotland-nhs-male-blood-donor-turned-away-pregnant/
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 865

Ratters said:

Cookie said:

Not even a twenty stashed somewhere? Apps and banks fail. Remember TSB's screw up?
    I have multiple banks I can use.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

I can conceive why there is nothing to see here.
    Bought as a campaign vehicle. Drive around the Highlands and Islands offering both transport and a base. No election on at the moment, change in leadership so it needs parking up somewhere until the next use. Available driveway from a trusted person, park it there.

Convincing...?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,879
    Cookie said:

Carnyx said:

It's not the DUP.

Oh, I see.
    I think the story was that Joe Biden was celebrating the fact that his distant relative Rob Kierney (Irish rugby player) had given the All Blacks 'a good hiding' (I think). Except he didn't say All Blacks, he said Black and Tans.

To be honest, I think the original would have been ruder (if I'm right). The latter is just an old man misspeaking. Again.
    Black and Tans appears to be trending on Bing now (don't judge me, it's my work home page).
    Arlene Foster gave an interview with GB News saying Joe Biden hates the UK and it went 'viral', requiring his team to issue a denial. This was before the black and tan comment.

https://www.gbnews.com/news/arlene-foster-joe-biden-northern-ireland-visit
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I can conceive why there is nothing to see here.
    Bought as a campaign vehicle. Drive around the Highlands and Islands offering both transport and a base. No election on at the moment, change in leadership so it needs parking up somewhere until the next use. Available driveway from a trusted person, park it there.

Convincing...?
    No. Given the tiny amount of time such a vehicle would actually be used for campaigning, it would much, much cheaper to rent as required.
This discussion has been closed.