Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Toxic Tories – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,447

Braverman will be gone ASAP.

She was gone. A week ago.

Incomprehensible why she was brought back within a week. Inexcusable.

Starmer is doing well today. Sunak is doing OK, but he's made so many mistakes before and Starmer is hitting the open goals before him.
    I think you are saying there a lot a baggage now at fag end of term in office, not all his mistakes but he carries them, like a good horse heavily handicapped.

Yes Braverman will resign soon, but that is more opportunity than disaster for Sunak.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,144

An unbiased source tweets:

A really poor performance by Sunak. The serious tone of yesterday was a fake. He’s like an ageing music hall comedian dragging out his predecessor’s old jokes and looking wounded when the only people who laugh are the rest of the cast.

https://twitter.com/RhonddaBryant/status/1585230089322909700

It doesn’t matter what he thinks. It doesn’t matter what we think. What matters is what Conservative MPs think - and I suspect they’ll be happy…

I am not sure happy is right - but it has certain made it harder for the usual suspects to be publicly unhappy.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Doesn’t change the fundamentals. Tory party still in a hole. Still Keir Starmer’s election to lose. But that was a massacre. Rishi Sunak was ready for Keir Starmer on every question. Labour MPs will be concerned.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1585228576432934912

Hodges always known for his judgement. Even a deaf mute on a galloping camel riding pillion to Paul Dacre would judge that to be nonsense.

Sunak was helped by having the screaming hoardes behind him but it's most unlikely that will not be the opinion of commentators
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,939

Rishi's response to Caroline Lucas looks as if fracking is over and Lucus smiled and clapped

Fracking? Over? But I have heard from various Tories out there and even on here that fracking isn't just wonderful, it will actually improve the environment...
    Another Truss policy binned
    Hes going for the 'completely new thing' approach (cabinet appointments notwithstanding), trying to convince the 15% that resiled in horror from Trussteng that its safe to come straight back then work on the '19 ConLab transferees and now non voters
  • Options

Without sounding too partisan I am really very pleased with Rishi and labour have a whole new problem to deal with

Indeed today's PMQ was, if one can say quite, enjoyable for the first time in months

The grown-ups are back in charge of both major parties. We are back to a better place politically.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Good from both Starmer and Sunak.

Starmer a good tone; Rishi only just this side of smarmy but perhaps understandable given the apparent support behind him.

I thought the smarmy smiley shrillness was nerves to be fair.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,748
    edited October 2022
    mwadams said:

I'm surprised about the Welsh Lamb market.

We currently export £29m/year of meat *total* to the US. The US consumes approximately zero lamb. And yet we are predicting ~£7m of Welsh Lamb exports per year. That's about a 25% increase in the export value! I find that hard to believe.

It's not that it isn't good to open that market, but it sounds like bobbins to me.

Interestingly Americans used to be much less sheepish about eating lamb. Americans ate an average of 5 pounds of lamb per capita per annum a century ago, its now just 0.6 pounds.

However lamb has started to become more popular there again, primarily due to immigrants eating it which has made it see a revival in shops and restaurants. So there's a huge potential growth market there if it could take off.

Improbable, but certainly possible.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2022
    Off topic (though I suppose related to it), this is a very interesting little thread by the excellent @PaulMainwood on excess deaths statistics:

https://twitter.com/PaulMainwood/status/1585226065378627584

England & Wales are showing persistently high excess age-standardised mortality than the 2019 baseline, but Scotland doesn't appear to be (although the smaller sample size means this might not be a robust conclusion). Paul suggests that this might be related to ambulance response times, which aren't as bad in Scotland. Some food for thought there.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    Christ. Fabricant on now.
  • Options

A really poor performance by Sunak. The serious tone of yesterday was a fake. He’s like an ageing music hall comedian dragging out his predecessor’s old jokes and looking wounded when the only people who laugh are the rest of the cast.

It doesn’t matter what he thinks. It doesn’t matter what we think. What matters is what Conservative MPs think - and I suspect they’ll be happy…

And voters
  • Options
    We need to know which candidate did Michael Fabricant's wig support.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,165
    Where on earth is Gove sat?
  • Options

Roger said:

Starmer is excellent. Sunak is just Johnson revisited

Don't be ridiculous. One of the most politically stupid and partisan posts I have ever seen on here
    No.I think Roger summed it up pretty well there.

Just like Boris, Sunak came armed, with a sheet “if in trouble and can’t answer the question, reach for this instead”

Half way through his first PMQs Sunak looked down and he had used it all.

But Boris did evasive non answers far better than Sunak did. It was just too patently obvious Sunak wasn’t answering questions just shouting back yah boo stuff not remotely like what was asked.
    OTOH Starmer had to resort to childish lettuce jokes and 'i used to be somebody' in the CPS
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,010
    AlistairM said:

Wow. This is quite something. A Russian soldier says it is perfectly normal to punish their comrades who have let the side down by forcing them to perform a sexual act on another. Apparently it is not gay in the slightest unlike those men who hold hands walking down the street waving rainbow flags who deserve to be beaten. There are an awful lot of Russian soldiers who are in the closet! (To be fair they don't have much other option)

TW: sexual violence

russian soldier is trying to justify rape and sexual violence as a legitimate and very normal way of punishment in the ru army.

according to him, it’s still not as horrible as a consensual gay sex and “rainbow flags”.

it tells you a lot about that society.

https://twitter.com/saintjavelin/status/1585209020339879936

The booties have the beautiful and ancient ritual of the "monorail" which I will detail after the watershed tonight.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    edited October 2022

Roger said:

Don't be ridiculous. One of the most politically stupid and partisan posts I have ever seen on here

Just like Boris, Sunak came armed, with a sheet “if in trouble and can’t answer the question, reach for this instead”

But Boris did evasive non answers far better than Sunak did. It was just too patently obvious Sunak wasn’t answering questions just shouting back yah boo stuff not remotely like what was asked.
    Congratulations on producing a contender for the same prize that the ridiculous Roger attempted to claim an unsurpassable ownership of.

I am right of centre, though have always been a harsh critic of Johnson and his populism. I have paid Starmer a number of compliments over the years when many were unable to see his ability (SKS fans please explain etc.).

If you are unable to see how well Sunak did today, you are a partisan fool and have no political judgement
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    Selebian said:

mwadams said:

We currently export £29m/year of meat *total* to the US. The US consumes approximately zero lamb. And yet we are predicting ~£7m of Welsh Lamb exports per year. That's about a 25% increase in the export value! I find that hard to believe.

It's not that it isn't good to open that market, but it sounds like bobbins to me.

Hmm, new role for Truss, going to the States to open new lamb markets?
    She has a fair bit of experience in the slaughtering of lambs.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,805

Rishi's response to Caroline Lucas looks as if fracking is over and Lucus smiled and clapped

Hmmmm. Wonder how the ScoTories feel, after their loooooong stream of demands for fracking in Scotland, in the teeth of opposition from the other parties. Right down to Mr Ross et al voting for fracking* last week.

*OK, to allow the possibility of considering it, or whatever weasel words were used.
  • Options

Doesn’t change the fundamentals. Tory party still in a hole. Still Keir Starmer’s election to lose. But that was a massacre. Rishi Sunak was ready for Keir Starmer on every question. Labour MPs will be concerned.

But if it's Dan Hodges saying it, that could mean that the Tories aren't in a hole, it's Sunak's election to lose but Sunak was hopeless and Labour MPs will be releived.
    Hodges talking bollocks. Rishi's answers on Braverman and non-doms was not great.
    I would phrase it differently, because they weren’t actually answers. The problem was it was so patently a rehearsed non answer, he couldn’t disguise the planned non answers as well as Boris did it.

But it’s just one nervous performance we are going on, it’s only if he’s exactly the same for the next 5 PMQs we can say the Tories have a problem.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,326

I don't think Sunak's "of course they told me not to appoint Braverman" deflection will work. The question will keep coming back, someone will leak, and he will be forced to accept that he appointed her above the heads of the civil service.

The thing is I'd almost expect, or indeed, want, the civil service to question every ministerial decision, to be a bucket of cold water on the fires of their enthusiasm. It should be a key part of their role to act as a reality check.

So you'd expect that it would be part of the normal course of things for ministers to make decisions that went against concerns raised by civil servants. How many decisions are there that are so simple that there are no concerns to be raised about them?

You don't want civil servants to be simply yes men, and nor do you want ministers who are too scared by risks that they fail to act.

I really dislike the implications of that question from Starmer, and it unhelpfully politicises the civil service.
  • Options

Sunak 6/10 - Did OK, but struggled with baggage and unnecessary own goals like Braverman.
    Starmer 8/10 - Confident and hit the open goals before him.

Hopefully Sunak will improve with practice, but he needs to sharpen up and avoid unnecessary pitfalls like reappointing someone who has only just been sacked.

Starmer the better of the two today, but Sunak certainly could have done worse.

This is by far the most useful judgment on here, the rest is just football chanting
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,731

And voters
    I thought Sunak was very good - intelligent, confident and professional - feels like we have a proper PM now.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Simon Hoare creating a hostage to fortune in this BBC follow up. Good job for Sunak that no-one knows who the heck he is, and that no-one is watching. More confirmation that this is a good line to take, though.
  • Options

Sunak 6/10 - Did OK, but struggled with baggage and unnecessary own goals like Braverman.

Hopefully Sunak will improve with practice, but he needs to sharpen up and avoid unnecessary pitfalls like reappointing someone who has only just been sacked.

This is by far the most useful judgment on here, the rest is just football chanting
    Starmer is under-rated - at least from the perspective of improving Labour's fortunes - I've always said so.
  • Options

Roger said:

OTOH Starmer had to resort to childish lettuce jokes and 'i used to be somebody' in the CPS
    The childish lettuce joke did get an instinctive laugh from across the House, rather than the usual painful "Parliamentary Humour" and forced guffaws.
  • Options

I don't usually watch PMQs but here goes.

I thought Starmer was impressive. Sunak did fine, certainly for first time out and having only been in post 24 hours. Overall if the House was a little over-excited it felt like a return to seriousness after the nonsense and silliness of recent years.

I detected a much lighter feel from all sides. A kind of collective sigh of relief.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,046
    ** EXCLUSIVE: The UK is seeking to fill a fiscal shortfall of £35 billion on Nov 17, according to officials familiar with current Treasury and OBR data **

** The Treasury has drawn up a menu of 104 options to cut spending **

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-26/uk-seeking-to-plug-35b-fiscal-hole-on-nov-17-officials-say
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Carnyx said:

Hmmmm. Wonder how the ScoTories feel, after their loooooong stream of demands for fracking in Scotland, in the teeth of opposition from the other parties. Right down to Mr Ross et al voting for fracking* last week.

*OK, to allow the possibility of considering it, or whatever weasel words were used.
    Specifically, not to make Sir Keir de facto PM for a day to ban something which isn't actually going to happen.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Starmer is under-rated - at least from the perspective of improving Labour's fortunes - I've always said so.
    Must have just been you and me then. Most people said he was boring. I have always rated him. Tories that have underrated him have been dumb.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

And voters
    I thought Sunak was very good - intelligent, confident and professional - feels like we have a proper PM now.
    Indeed and the bad days of Johnson and Truss are over and labour face a very different political proposition going forward
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Roger said:

Congratulations on producing a contender for the same prize that the ridiculous Roger attempted to claim an unsurpassable ownership of.

I am right of centre, though have always been a harsh critic of Johnson and his populism. I have paid Starmer a number of compliments over the years when many were unable to see his ability (SKS fans please explain etc.).

If you are unable to see how well Sunak did today, you are a partisan fool and have no political judgement
    Sunak was not good in my opinion, based on his non answers were far too patently yah boo non answers, something Boris did far better than Sunak did today.

I don’t want to be rude but I don’t think you understand what PMQs is. It’s not a session where you ask a question and someone answers it, it’s political cage fighting.

I’m sure Sunak has a range of great skills, but political cage fighting is clearly not one of them, and you are just going to embarrass yourself claiming Sunak is great political cage fighter every week.
  • Options

I don't think Sunak's "of course they told me not to appoint Braverman" deflection will work. The question will keep coming back, someone will leak, and he will be forced to accept that he appointed her above the heads of the civil service.

The thing is I'd almost expect, or indeed, want, the civil service to question every ministerial decision, to be a bucket of cold water on the fires of their enthusiasm. It should be a key part of their role to act as a reality check.

So you'd expect that it would be part of the normal course of things for ministers to make decisions that went against concerns raised by civil servants. How many decisions are there that are so simple that there are no concerns to be raised about them?

You don't want civil servants to be simply yes men, and nor do you want ministers who are too scared by risks that they fail to act.

I really dislike the implications of that question from Starmer, and it unhelpfully politicises the civil service.
    Implications? The machinery of government is entitled to raise security concerns about someone fired for a double breach of the ministerial code, one of which was a serious security screw up.

A Tory MP is now on Politics Live stating very explicitly that the PM does everything correctly, so if she was appointed there cannot have been a concern raised by Simon Case. This is a serious hostage to fortune - it isn't party political for senior civil servants to state the proposed minister (a) broke the code or (b) was highlighted as a security risk.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Must have just been you and me then. Most people said he was boring. I have always rated him. Tories that have underrated him have been dumb.
    Yes. We agree. Starmer is overall a bad thing from the Tories POV.

His weakness, of course, is much of the electorate don't like him. To be honest he isn't much my cup of tea either - I think it's his tone and earnestness that is so off-putting.

I'd much rather have a pint with Sunak. By orders of magnitude.

Don't know what that says.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Roger said:

The childish lettuce joke did get an instinctive laugh from across the House, rather than the usual painful "Parliamentary Humour" and forced guffaws.
    Sadly it did. More a damning indictment of the maturity of MPs than evidence of a zinger. Its the Daily f*cking Star/Beano for goodness sake.
    I honestly think 'i used to be somebody important' was a misstep though. Painted himself as yesterdays man
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,653

mwadams said:

Interestingly Americans used to be much less sheepish about eating lamb. Americans ate an average of 5 pounds of lamb per capita per annum a century ago, its now just 0.6 pounds.

However lamb has started to become more popular there again, primarily due to immigrants eating it which has made it see a revival in shops and restaurants. So there's a huge potential growth market there if it could take off.

Improbable, but certainly possible.
    Damn. Beat me to it. I looked it up on various sites. I'm shocked. They are really missing out. It is such a low consumption. Assuming some eat quite a lot I assume most never touch it. Opportunity obviously. Cost may be an issue.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Roger said:

The trick with comedy and jokes is delivery, even nuance. I always feel it funnier the shorter and more words you take out - might rain having more instinctive impact than it might rain today, in that sense Starmer’s delivery was good.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,544
    Just watched Yvette Cooper's UQ on Braverman's appointment - of course Braverman had fled the chamber. It rather sounds as if Cooper has more on the HS, going from the follow-up questions (which weren't answered). A serial offender, perhaps?

Wouldn't it be tragic if Braverman didn't last the week?
  • Options

I actually think Sunak did a bit better than that, but this is definitely a very honest and fair summary of PMQs.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,478
    As I suspected, by appointing Braverman, Sunak has allowed that to become the story rather than his nice, shiny, new, responsible government (which should have been the message). He is better than his 3 immediate predecessors at PMQs, from the looks of things, but he could do with fewer unforced errors - Starmer is getting very good at picking these out now and scoring the goals.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,665
    Stocky said:

Chronically under-rated, and long May of stay that way for the sake of Labour fortunes.
  • Options

mwadams said:

Roger said:

Sadly it did. More a damning indictment of the maturity of MPs than evidence of a zinger. Its the Daily f*cking Star/Beano for goodness sake.
    I honestly think 'i used to be somebody important' was a misstep though. Painted himself as yesterdays man
    While I won't have you traduce the Beano - one of the last bastions of excellence in our benighted island - I do agree that harking back to his role with the CPS as evidence of strength on Law and Order* needs to stop.

Lines need to be crafted such that Labour are what you think about going forward, the Tories representing the failures of the past.

*(doink doink)
  • Options

Roger said:

Sunak was not good in my opinion, based on his non answers were far too patently yah boo non answers, something Boris did far better than Sunak did today.

I don’t want to be rude but I don’t think you understand what PMQs is. It’s not a session where you ask a question and someone answers it, it’s political cage fighting.

I’m sure Sunak has a range of great skills, but political cage fighting is clearly not one of them, and you are just going to embarrass yourself claiming Sunak is great political cage fighter every week.
    Lol. You weren't being rude, you were being very silly. I have watched/listened to PMQs for the best part of my 55 years, so I think I might just understand how it works, thanks. I will leave it for others to judge my understanding of politics versus yours, but I am reasonably confident that you might get as much support in that analysis as a Tory in a Glasgow working mens club.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,084
    I think the Braverman issue is an unintentional trap for Labour. By focusing on it, it shifts the political battleground back towards culture war issues and away from the economy, giving Sunak some breathing space as well as making a Tory split less likely.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    On the delay to the 17th - my guess is that the government wants to bake in the new lower debt interest rate assumptions and potentially a new significantly lower energy price assumption.

The original £70bn will be lower than half that figure by the time the new numbers are out. Substantially lower. My finger in the air number is £10bn in spending cuts, £10bn in tax rises and £5-7bn in additional borrowing per year for two or three years which closes as growth picks back up.

I think the triple lock and benefits go up by CPI. Income tax goes up by 1p in all brackets and the most controversial - NI now payable by all people on all income types. The second measure pays for the uprating of benefits and state pension benefits, the first closes half of the fiscal gap.

£10bn in cuts is more difficult to predict, I'd guess at local authority subsidies and unnamed "efficiency savings" of which there are still billions to cut. I'd also look out for a new "bonfire of quangos" narrative. The who public administration body is due a 50-60% chop, it would save £2-3bn and no one would notice.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Roger said:

We must be entering salad days
  • Options

mwadams said:

Roger said:

You need a dressing down for that remark.
  • Options
    I think Starmer probably spend too much time in the Westminster political bubble. PMQs is good chance each week, as leader of the opposition, to set the political agenda. It's a rare and valuable resource.

He needs to make better use of it than chasing the latest preoccupation of the lobby journalists.

The next election turns on tying the blame for a decline in living standards onto the Tories and whoever happens to be Tory leader at the time of the next GE. Today's PMQs didn't do anything to advance that argument. It was wasted.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

mwadams said:

Roger said:

Romaines of the day....
  • Options

I think the Braverman issue is an unintentional trap for Labour. By focusing on it, it shifts the political battleground back towards culture war issues and away from the economy, giving Sunak some breathing space as well as making a Tory split less likely.

Not if they stay well away from policy on focus on process. I was worried that they wouldn't have the discipline to do that - but they did.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Roger said:

I thought I was taking a leaf out of your book
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

How is ot a culture war issue?

Not everything is 12d chess. Sometimes people just make shit awful decisions.
  • Options

Labour will focus primarily on the circumstances of Braverman's re-appointment, not her actual policies or political beliefs.
  • Options

Just watched Yvette Cooper's UQ on Braverman's appointment - of course Braverman had fled the chamber. It rather sounds as if Cooper has more on the HS, going from the follow-up questions (which weren't answered). A serial offender, perhaps?

No it wouldn’t. It would be a huge bonus for Sunak to be honest.

She’s full of herself, not a team player, not even proved her talent and delivery for holding a big 3 office.

In just a short period of time, everyone on all sides of politics regard her as toxic. That’s quite remarkable really.

Quite a lot of so called in the know commentators say Sunak had no choice but to appoint her has promised, as he done a deal so she wouldn’t back Boris, I’m sceptical of that, how much of a blow would it have if she backed Boris, was Sunak really thinking he had to prevent that? Free marketers instinctively choose Rishi anyway, as closer to their own beliefs than Boris.
  • Options

I think Starmer probably spend too much time in the Westminster political bubble. PMQs is good chance each week, as leader of the opposition, to set the political agenda. It's a rare and valuable resource.

He needs to make better use of it than chasing the latest preoccupation of the lobby journalists.

The next election turns on tying the blame for a decline in living standards onto the Tories and whoever happens to be Tory leader at the time of the next GE. Today's PMQs didn't do anything to advance that argument. It was wasted.

I disagree - this is shaping the battlefield (to coin a contemporary analogy).

First they need to confirm the idea in everyone's minds that these are the same old faces, lacking integrity. Then they need to hammer them on every piece of bad economic news as they come through. Until you've done the former, you can't do the latter as any perceived "freshness" gives them the benefit of the doubt.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,046
    💥 Confirmed: Rishi Sunak will reinstate the England-wide ban on shale gas fracking, senior government insiders confirmed to the FT.

Sunak told PMQs he "stands by" 2019 Tory manifesto which banned fracking. Liz Truss briefly lifted the moratorium.

https://www.ft.com/content/a42f15f0-40cc-4efb-8cc7-b3227b71434b
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

His weakness, of course, is much of the electorate don't like him. To be honest he isn't much my cup of tea either - I think it's his tone and earnestness that is so off-putting.

His biggest achievement has been the dispatching of the Trots. That really didn’t look possible when he took over.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Roger said:

While I won't have you traduce the Beano - one of the last bastions of excellence in our benighted island - I do agree that harking back to his role with the CPS as evidence of strength on Law and Order* needs to stop.

Lines need to be crafted such that Labour are what you think about going forward, the Tories representing the failures of the past.

*(doink doink)
    Yes, thats probably a good strategy. Its better than todays hasbeenery
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

Without sounding too partisan I am really very pleased with Rishi and labour have a whole new problem to deal with

Indeed today's PMQ was, if one can say quite, enjoyable for the first time in months

The grown-ups are back in charge of both major parties. We are back to a better place politically.
    I was thinking the same thing. Starmer and moreso Labour have had it too easy for too long. If they are going to be good when they get into government they need a competent government to be up against beforehand. Boris was one easy tap in after another. Truss crashed the team bus. At least hopefully now we will have what in normal times would be considered the very minimum which is competently administration. I voted for Blair in 97 as he had a plan and agenda. I don't sense that in Labour at the moment. Hopefully that will come soon.
  • Options

It’s beginning to look like this a boil that has to be lanced.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

How is ot a culture war issue?

Not everything is 12d chess. Sometimes people just make shit awful decisions.
    Yeah, a bad decision by Sunak that’s overshadowing the positives of his launch week.. 😕
  • Options

mwadams said:

Roger said:

Romaines of the day....
    I think it might be the tip of the iceberg
  • Options

I was thinking the same thing. Starmer and moreso Labour have had it too easy for too long. If they are going to be good when they get into government they need a competent government to be up against beforehand. Boris was one easy tap in after another. Truss crashed the team bus. At least hopefully now we will have what in normal times would be considered the very minimum which is competently administration. I voted for Blair in 97 as he had a plan and agenda. I don't sense that in Labour at the moment. Hopefully that will come soon.
    Yes, Labour might be pissed off they'll have to work for it now but thats a very good thing for all of us
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

mwadams said:

Roger said:

Romaines of the day....
    I think it might be the tip of the iceberg
    Of cos it will.
  • Options

mwadams said:

Roger said:

Romaines of the day....
    Little gem of a pun.
  • Options

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Roger said:

Is that a sign that you are green with envy?
  • Options

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

His biggest achievement has been the dispatching of the Trots. That really didn’t look possible when he took over.
    Agreed. He is a managerial politician, and I mean that in a complimentary way. I don't particularly want to see a Labour government, but I feel relatively happy that if we have to have one then we could do a lot worse than PM Starmer
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

💥 Confirmed: Rishi Sunak will reinstate the England-wide ban on shale gas fracking, senior government insiders confirmed to the FT.

Sunak told PMQs he "stands by" 2019 Tory manifesto which banned fracking. Liz Truss briefly lifted the moratorium.

That is excellent news.

The next election can be fought over ideology, we have decency and common sense back in our politics for the first time in a long time
  • Options

(I don't see a salad pun in that reply. Am I missing something?)
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013

Nobody is going after Badenoch or Davies on the same basis, which suggests it's about rule-breaking rather than woke.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Stocky said:

I don't usually watch PMQs but here goes.

I thought Starmer was impressive. Sunak did fine, certainly for first time out and having only been in post 24 hours. Overall if the House was a little over-excited it felt like a return to seriousness after the nonsense and silliness of recent years.

I detected a much lighter feel from all sides. A kind of collective sigh of relief.
    Finished by 12.35 too. Unlike the days when we had them until nearly 1pm with Speaker Bercow
  • Options
    mwadams said:

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Roger said:

Possibly but on the other hand I might not give a toss
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,765
    Scottish schools have been urged to reject “derogatory, demeaning and dangerous” new NHS advice that suggests children who want to change gender may simply be going through a phase.

NHS England has issued new guidelines advising that most children identifying as transgender are going through a “transient phase”.

Doctors have been told to explore all underlying health problems, including mental ill health, before helping young people transition, amid concerns that the NHS is rushing children on to irreversible puberty-blocker medication.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/scottish-schools-told-to-reject-english-guidance-for-trans-children-s2q5jprst
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Scott_xP said:

Did the 2019 manifesto actually ban fracking? The words I saw recently suggested it wouldn't be done unless the science said it was safe. Leaving aside the economics it hardly looks like it would be happening anyway.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited October 2022
    Competent performance from Sunak at PMQ’s, I thought.

Not particularly inspiring, but it’s a hurdle he cleared, which is the PM’s main task at PMQ’s.

Starmers difficulty level has suddenly gone up a couple of levels, since Boris/Truss.

A good thing for British politics, overall.
  • Options

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Roger said:

I'm just egging you on.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,765
    Roger said:

Hodges always known for his judgement. Even a deaf mute on a galloping camel riding pillion to Paul Dacre would judge that to be nonsense.

Sunak was helped by having the screaming hoardes behind him but it's most unlikely that will not be the opinion of commentators
    Have Roger and Dan Hodges ever been seen together in the same room?
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Presumably the hope is to export meat to higher end consumers and perhaps even fine-dining establishments, but as soon as any significant market is developed, American producers will surely step up.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Stocky said:

I've very reluctantly come to the conclusion that it was either Braverman as HS or risking Johnson back as PM.

Those were probably the political choices.

I think Sunak probably expects Braverman to self-immolate at some point whereupon she will be replaced.

Frankly, I'd like Gove in slot as I think he'd sort the boats, and the department, inside 6 months.

I wonder when you were laying into Truss, whether you thought you'd be making lame excuses for Sunak a day into his premiership. Oh well.
    You seem to see me as some sort of "traitor" to Adam Smith/Hayek who's sold-out to a high-tax high-spending globalist consensus.

Nah. I am a right-wing Conservative who recognised Truss and her tin-ear as an absolute disaster for our party.

She tried to launch a 1988 budget in the conditions of 1979, and as if deficits didn't matter. She was dogmatic and naïve. She was obstinate. She was foolish. And she seems unrepentant too. That doesn't make me some sort of wet you need to dry out. It makes me realistic - she's probably shat the bed for low tax for 20 yrs now.

She was nothing like Thatcher who was a consummate politician and both Thatcher, and Nigel Lawson, would agree with that.
    If Truss has 'shat the bed for low tax for 20 yrs' then I'm actually glad. I just cannot see a sane way where 'low tax' is a practical and sustainable way forward for the UK. Austerity is fine; but you can only apply it so far before the system breaks. Growth cannot be commanded; only encouraged.

I see taxes as needing to rise a little. But I want any increased taxes to be spent *very* carefully. Yes, I know...
    I think you can lower taxes once the deficit is under control, and a higher growth rate has been achieved.

This is the "sharing the proceeds of growth" approach that Cameron outlined in 2010.

I think working people are overtaxed, NI is too high and a tax on jobs, income tax thresholds need to start rising with earnings again, the 40p rate kicks-in too low, and the 100-120k tax trap zone is a mess causing all sorts of knock-on implications.

I would like to see all of that addressed.
    "I think working people are overtaxed"

Yes and no, IMO. Workers on low pay are certainly overtaxed; workers with high pay are probably not paying enough tax. That's the problem with the word 'workers': it covers the guy who I bought a can of Red Bull from at Asda at five this morning, and the chap earning high six figures.

But in general, I think the total tax take in the country needs to increase. Who pays more, and how that money is spent, is where the issues become really difficult.
    Income is overtaxed and capital is undertaxed.

There is an emerging consensus on this.
    I'm not sure about this - "capital has already been taxed" is the common refrain.
    But it has not been taxed enough
    Everything is taxed too much. Yes there is a need to adjust where taxes are levied from but at the same time the overall tax burden is far too high. Truss was catastrophically wrong in the way she went about things but the underlying basic principle that the state is too large and we pay too much of overall in tax is absolutely right.
    Its easy to say “the state is too big”. Its far harder to identify what it should stop spending on.
    Not really.

I would scrap the automatic state pension and have it as a safety net just like other benefits. We should not be paying state pension to those who already have reasonable private pension provision or savings.
    I would increase the minimum wage to make it a proper living wage paid by employers so that the taxpayer is not subsidising companies who choose to pay their employees less than they need to live on.
    Associated with the above I would look at scrapping all benefits for anyone earning more than the average income.

That is just for starters. There are plenty more areas to look at.
    Nice examples. These three alone would exhaust the political capital of any party in this country, and probably in the whole of western Europe.

And by the way to implement radical pension changes would take decades in a world where people have already spent their working lives calculating on assumptions based on present provision. (The state pension for a couple is about £19,000 and rising. It is a very serious bit of the total calculation people make).

I don't pretend it would be easy. But since the changes are absolutely necessary, it would be good to at least make a start. One way to start would be to simplify the tax system in a revenue neutral manner so it is far more obvious what the real tax burden is on both the country and the individual. Merging of NI and IC and their application on all forms of income not just earned.

Once we have a simpler, more transparent tax system then the arguments about how much is a reasonable or acceptable amount for the State to take can start.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

It's all Greek to me
  • Options
    ping said:

Competent performance from Sunak at PMQ’s, I thought.

Not particularly inspiring, but it’s a hurdle he cleared, which is the PM’s main task at PMQ’s.

Starmers difficulty level has suddenly gone up a couple of levels, since Boris/Truss.

A good thing for British politics, overall.

Not since Boris, whose problems arose entirely from endlessly repeating his own flaws rather than Starmer's exploiting them.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,084
    mwadams said:

Not if they stay well away from policy on focus on process. I was worried that they wouldn't have the discipline to do that - but they did.
    Not everyone has that discipline. You have Labour peers calling her "Cruella Braverman".

https://twitter.com/TimesRadio/status/1585183883485511681
  • Options
    Keystone said:

Stocky said:

I've very reluctantly come to the conclusion that it was either Braverman as HS or risking Johnson back as PM.

Those were probably the political choices.

I think Sunak probably expects Braverman to self-immolate at some point whereupon she will be replaced.

Frankly, I'd like Gove in slot as I think he'd sort the boats, and the department, inside 6 months.

I wonder when you were laying into Truss, whether you thought you'd be making lame excuses for Sunak a day into his premiership. Oh well.
    You seem to see me as some sort of "traitor" to Adam Smith/Hayek who's sold-out to a high-tax high-spending globalist consensus.

Nah. I am a right-wing Conservative who recognised Truss and her tin-ear as an absolute disaster for our party.

She tried to launch a 1988 budget in the conditions of 1979, and as if deficits didn't matter. She was dogmatic and naïve. She was obstinate. She was foolish. And she seems unrepentant too. That doesn't make me some sort of wet you need to dry out. It makes me realistic - she's probably shat the bed for low tax for 20 yrs now.

She was nothing like Thatcher who was a consummate politician and both Thatcher, and Nigel Lawson, would agree with that.
    If Truss has 'shat the bed for low tax for 20 yrs' then I'm actually glad. I just cannot see a sane way where 'low tax' is a practical and sustainable way forward for the UK. Austerity is fine; but you can only apply it so far before the system breaks. Growth cannot be commanded; only encouraged.

I see taxes as needing to rise a little. But I want any increased taxes to be spent *very* carefully. Yes, I know...
    I think you can lower taxes once the deficit is under control, and a higher growth rate has been achieved.

This is the "sharing the proceeds of growth" approach that Cameron outlined in 2010.

I think working people are overtaxed, NI is too high and a tax on jobs, income tax thresholds need to start rising with earnings again, the 40p rate kicks-in too low, and the 100-120k tax trap zone is a mess causing all sorts of knock-on implications.

I would like to see all of that addressed.
    "I think working people are overtaxed"

Yes and no, IMO. Workers on low pay are certainly overtaxed; workers with high pay are probably not paying enough tax. That's the problem with the word 'workers': it covers the guy who I bought a can of Red Bull from at Asda at five this morning, and the chap earning high six figures.

But in general, I think the total tax take in the country needs to increase. Who pays more, and how that money is spent, is where the issues become really difficult.
    Income is overtaxed and capital is undertaxed.

There is an emerging consensus on this.
    I'm not sure about this - "capital has already been taxed" is the common refrain.
    But it has not been taxed enough
    Everything is taxed too much. Yes there is a need to adjust where taxes are levied from but at the same time the overall tax burden is far too high. Truss was catastrophically wrong in the way she went about things but the underlying basic principle that the state is too large and we pay too much of overall in tax is absolutely right.
    Its easy to say “the state is too big”. Its far harder to identify what it should stop spending on.
    Not really.

I would scrap the automatic state pension and have it as a safety net just like other benefits. We should not be paying state pension to those who already have reasonable private pension provision or savings.
    I would increase the minimum wage to make it a proper living wage paid by employers so that the taxpayer is not subsidising companies who choose to pay their employees less than they need to live on.
    Associated with the above I would look at scrapping all benefits for anyone earning more than the average income.

That is just for starters. There are plenty more areas to look at.
    Interesting. I could certainly see a time when the state pension becomes just a safety net/means tested.
    Problem is that DC pensions are not going to come close to the standards offered by DB pensions.

I hear the median pension pot for under 50s is under £50,000.

They're not going to be Tory voting pensioners like the Boomers.

Of course raising the pension age into the low 70s means an increasing number will simply drop in their traces.
    Which of course was both the case and the plan when the modern state pension system was introduced after the war.
  • Options

Roger said:

Lol. You weren't being rude, you were being very silly. I have watched/listened to PMQs for the best part of my 55 years, so I think I might just understand how it works, thanks. I will leave it for others to judge my understanding of politics versus yours, but I am reasonably confident that you might get as much support in that analysis as a Tory in a Glasgow working mens club.
    I can see why Malc calls you foreskin, combative arn’t you? 😄

Why can’t you just concede you are wrong? I’ll even give you your concession statement

“Yah boo shouty partisan politics is clearly not Rishi’s forte, it clearly was Boris’ but then he was useless in every other regard! but if you had been paying proper attention to PMQs MoonRabbit, you would have realised what Sunak’s forte actually is today and why he done well today - he is skilfully moving the Tory policy back onto sane ground where the party can rebut Labour with delivery, that’s where he is such a problem to Labour.”
  • Options
    mwadams said:

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Roger said:

I'm just egging you on.
    Oh, no we mustn't start on the egg puns. Only yoking
  • Options

mwadams said:

It's all Greek to me
    If we give him a bit of a rocket, maybe he'll get the message.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

mwadams said:

It's all Greek to me
    When it comes to puns, I can see you are a man that knows his onions
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

That is excellent news.

The next election can be fought over ideology, we have decency and common sense back in our politics for the first time in a long time
    Two parties who agree on managed economic decline to avoid upsetting any local interest anywhere. It may be common sense but what it's not is a contest of ideology.
  • Options

Implications? The machinery of government is entitled to raise security concerns about someone fired for a double breach of the ministerial code, one of which was a serious security screw up.

A Tory MP is now on Politics Live stating very explicitly that the PM does everything correctly, so if she was appointed there cannot have been a concern raised by Simon Case. This is a serious hostage to fortune - it isn't party political for senior civil servants to state the proposed minister (a) broke the code or (b) was highlighted as a security risk.
    The implication is that ministers shouldn't ever do anything that the civil service express doubts about, which then leads to ministers wanting to appoint toady yes men to the civil service. It would be terribly bad.
  • Options

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

It's all Greek to me
    When it comes to puns, I can see you are a man that knows his onions
    Changing the subject slightly I wonder whether Truss goes to church? It'll be a bit galling for her when the priest/vicar says "Let us pray"
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

On the delay to the 17th - my guess is that the government wants to bake in the new lower debt interest rate assumptions and potentially a new significantly lower energy price assumption.

The original £70bn will be lower than half that figure by the time the new numbers are out. Substantially lower. My finger in the air number is £10bn in spending cuts, £10bn in tax rises and £5-7bn in additional borrowing per year for two or three years which closes as growth picks back up.

I think the triple lock and benefits go up by CPI. Income tax goes up by 1p in all brackets and the most controversial - NI now payable by all people on all income types. The second measure pays for the uprating of benefits and state pension benefits, the first closes half of the fiscal gap.

£10bn in cuts is more difficult to predict, I'd guess at local authority subsidies and unnamed "efficiency savings" of which there are still billions to cut. I'd also look out for a new "bonfire of quangos" narrative. The who public administration body is due a 50-60% chop, it would save £2-3bn and no one would notice.

If Starmer does that controversial element he would win an incredible amount of respect from me.

Unfortunately I'm not as confident that he will be so "courageous".
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,685
    edited October 2022
    Non sequitur of the day ?

Sunak said that Braverman had "made an error of judgment"* and he was delighted to have her back in cabinet

*He might also have added, on several occasions, and she then lied about it.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,024
    PMQs: Sunak did okay on a sticky wicket.

But, the Braverman thing is an open wound. Self-inflicted and utterly, utterly moronic.

It's not going to go away.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,412
    Please stop, or I will appeal to OGH to all give you a dressing down.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,638
    Day 1 of the new regime, and we are mired in Tory Sleaze.

Some things never change.

I did say that Rishi Rich needed to appoint an authoritarian as Home Sec, but I was thinking more of Priti making a comeback.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,456
    Nigelb said:

Non sequitur of the day ?

Sunak said that Braverman had "made an error of judgment"* and he was delighted to have her back in cabinet

*He might also have added, on several occasions, and she then lied about it.

Hmm, should really have been:
    "I have made an error of judgement. Braverman is delighted to be back in cabinet" :wink:
  • Options

The implication is that ministers shouldn't ever do anything that the civil service express doubts about, which then leads to ministers wanting to appoint toady yes men to the civil service. It would be terribly bad.
    It isn't that at all. We have a ministerial code, a strict set of guidelines which ministers of the crown MUST follow. She did not. We have the official secrets act, a strict legal framework which signatories MUST follow. The suggestion over her "security breach" is that she did not.

This is not remotely party political. She broke the code. Twice. With a serious security breach a part of that. According to the rules she absolutely should not have been reappointed.

The party political bit is that the Tory Party yet again treat the code with disregard. It is very sad that in his first action as PM Sunak would do this and side with idiots like Johnson instead of siding with the propriety shown by every previous PM of every party including his own.
  • Options

Roger said:

I can see why Malc calls you foreskin, combative arn’t you? 😄

Why can’t you just concede you are wrong? I’ll even give you your concession statement

“Yah boo shouty partisan politics is clearly not Rishi’s forte, it clearly was Boris’ but then he was useless in every other regard! but if you had been paying proper attention to PMQs MoonRabbit, you would have realised what Sunak’s forte actually is today and why he done well today - he is skilfully moving the Tory policy back onto sane ground where the party can rebut Labour with delivery, that’s where he is such a problem to Labour.”
    Malcolm is a loudmouth uncouth twat with a brain the size of an amoeba. If you think that referring to male anatomy is the height of wit I can see you have much in common with him. Your political analysis is about as balanced and nuanced as his, which I can assure you is not a compliment. But hey, you carry on believing Sunak isn't very good if it makes you sleep easier. You will be in exactly the same predicament as Tories who underestimated Starmer. A predicament known as Camp Stupid.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,024

Day 1 of the new regime, and we are mired in Tory Sleaze.

Some things never change.

I did say that Rishi Rich needed to appoint an authoritarian as Home Sec, but I was thinking more of Priti making a comeback.

It beggars belief that they couldn't find a vaguely competent authoritarian that (checks notes) hadn't been sacked from the same job six days ago for a security breach, and who then subsequently lied to the Prime Minister about it.
This discussion has been closed.