Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Toxic Tories – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,348
    Tragical geek that I am, I just watched PMQs - with, I hope, an open mind

Sunak did exceptionally well, given the circs. He is fluent, buoyant, combative, lucid, he's very good at rousing cheers from his own side, he is in clear command of the facts, and he knows how to deflect difficult questions. He is also good at sticking to his opponent

It's a damn shame he is almost certain to lose badly in 2024, because, almost by accident, the Tories may finally have alighted on a decent Prime Minister who could do really good things over two terms or so

Sunak is also notably superior to Starmer in the House. Starmer has his work cut out
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,017

A trip down memory lane - every WhatCar “Car of the Year” since 1978.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/every-what-car-car-of-the-year-winner-since-1978

Getting a dead link
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,467
    edited October 2022
    ping said:

ping said:

Andy_JS said:

Not sure Cleverly has got this right.

"LGBT football fans who attend the World Cup in Qatar should show "a little bit of flex and compromise", Foreign Secretary James Cleverly has said. Speaking to LBC on Wednesday, he told fans travelling from England and Wales to be "respectful of the host nation", where same-sex activity is illegal. He added that "there should be flex and compromise at both ends" during the tournament, which starts in November. Labour called Mr Cleverly's remarks "shockingly tone-deaf"."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63401193

Wouldn’t be surprised if Sunak agrees with Cleverly.

He comes from a pretty socially conservative community.

Do we have any evidence Sunak isn’t homophobic?
    All people from community X are homophobes/sexist etc…

Which saloon bar are you drinking in?
    I said “ He comes from a pretty socially conservative community.”

That’s not factually untrue, is it?

You’ve extrapolated my comment into something different. You’re better than that kind of intellectually dishonest smearing, @Malmesbury

The point is, we don’t have any evidence that he isn’t homophobic. People just seem to assume that it’s not an issue. But it might well be.

We’ll see.
    The idea that people from a community need to prove that they don’t have characteristic X is classic racism.

Edit: have you any proof that you don’t torture animals?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,458
    rcs1000 said:

Getting a dead link
    Missing end of link
    https://www.whatcar.com/news/every-what-car-car-of-the-year-winner-since-1978/n17074

(I refrained from posting a LMGTFY link, out of respect for the banhammer :wink: )
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    Nominative determinism ratings for cabinet out of 10: Sunak 10 (is someone's son), Braverman 0 (is neither), Cleverly 7, Hunt no comment.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Nominative determinism ratings for cabinet out of 10: Sunak 10 (is someone's son), Braverman 0 (is neither), Cleverly 7, Hunt no comment.

Johnson was a 9
  • Options
    I think Sunak did well, a score draw for me
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,024
    Cleverly on gay sex:

“Flex at both ends is required”
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,028

Roger said:

Starmer is excellent. Sunak is just Johnson revisited

Don't be ridiculous. One of the most politically stupid and partisan posts I have ever seen on here
    No.I think Roger summed it up pretty well there.

Just like Boris, Sunak came armed, with a sheet “if in trouble and can’t answer the question, reach for this instead”

Half way through his first PMQs Sunak looked down and he had used it all.

But Boris did evasive non answers far better than Sunak did. It was just too patently obvious Sunak wasn’t answering questions just shouting back yah boo stuff not remotely like what was asked.
    Congratulations on producing a contender for the same prize that the ridiculous Roger attempted to claim an unsurpassable ownership of.

I am right of centre, though have always been a harsh critic of Johnson and his populism. I have paid Starmer a number of compliments over the years when many were unable to see his ability (SKS fans please explain etc.).

If you are unable to see how well Sunak did today, you are a partisan fool and have no political judgement
    Sunak was not good in my opinion, based on his non answers were far too patently yah boo non answers, something Boris did far better than Sunak did today.

I don’t want to be rude but I don’t think you understand what PMQs is. It’s not a session where you ask a question and someone answers it, it’s political cage fighting.

I’m sure Sunak has a range of great skills, but political cage fighting is clearly not one of them, and you are just going to embarrass yourself claiming Sunak is great political cage fighter every week.
    Lol. You weren't being rude, you were being very silly. I have watched/listened to PMQs for the best part of my 55 years, so I think I might just understand how it works, thanks. I will leave it for others to judge my understanding of politics versus yours, but I am reasonably confident that you might get as much support in that analysis as a Tory in a Glasgow working mens club.
    I can see why Malc calls you foreskin, combative arn’t you? 😄

Why can’t you just concede you are wrong? I’ll even give you your concession statement

“Yah boo shouty partisan politics is clearly not Rishi’s forte, it clearly was Boris’ but then he was useless in every other regard! but if you had been paying proper attention to PMQs MoonRabbit, you would have realised what Sunak’s forte actually is today and why he done well today - he is skilfully moving the Tory policy back onto sane ground where the party can rebut Labour with delivery, that’s where he is such a problem to Labour.”
    Malcolm is a loudmouth uncouth twat with a brain the size of an amoeba. If you think that referring to male anatomy is the height of wit I can see you have much in common with him. Your political analysis is about as balanced and nuanced as his, which I can assure you is not a compliment. But hey, you carry on believing Sunak isn't very good if it makes you sleep easier. You will be in exactly the same predicament as Tories who underestimated Starmer. A predicament known as Camp Stupid.
    But I didn’t say that. I implied Rishi is good, with a range of skills, but unlike you I don’t think yah boo shouty partisan politics at PMQs is actually a strong suit of his, it’s clearly his weakest facet.

You don’t pay proper attention do you?
    @foremain
    Foreskin you nasty piece of dog shit. Stick to being a red faced gammon fascist posting mince about how you really think you are only subhuman.
    Think yourself lucky you will never meet me.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    kjh said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

💥 Confirmed: Rishi Sunak will reinstate the England-wide ban on shale gas fracking, senior government insiders confirmed to the FT.

Sunak told PMQs he "stands by" 2019 Tory manifesto which banned fracking. Liz Truss briefly lifted the moratorium.

https://www.ft.com/content/a42f15f0-40cc-4efb-8cc7-b3227b71434b

Although I am highly sceptical about the prospects for shale gas in the UK, I think an outright ban is a foolish decision.

If people wish to spend their own money drilling exploratory wells (and it can be done without impacting local communities too much), then they should be free to do so.
    Agree. As far as I can see there is little evidence for shale gas in the UK and there are clearly local issues when anyone wants to have a go, but why should there be an actual ban?
    Looking at the hilarious example of UK Oil & Gas plc I think the problem is, people don't want to spend their own money on this but that of a load of fuckwitted small investors, probably tory pensioners expecting the win/win of a "ten bagger" plus investing in Our Great Nation and pwning the libs.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Rishi Sunak considering dumping the pensions triple lock

(Just one week after Liz Truss committed to keeping it!)

Excellent news

You are young, young man, as I was once. (I think. So long ago I don't remember). You are also foolish in that probably your most valuable financial asset by at least an OOM is or would be a state pension at current levels kicking in at let's say 70 and growing throughout by the triple lock. The lump sum equivalent is in the high 6 figures. It's not the oldies being robbed, it is older you.
    In their greed they are not very bright.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,948
    ping said:

ping said:

Andy_JS said:

"LGBT football fans who attend the World Cup in Qatar should show "a little bit of flex and compromise", Foreign Secretary James Cleverly has said. Speaking to LBC on Wednesday, he told fans travelling from England and Wales to be "respectful of the host nation", where same-sex activity is illegal. He added that "there should be flex and compromise at both ends" during the tournament, which starts in November. Labour called Mr Cleverly's remarks "shockingly tone-deaf"."

You’ve extrapolated my comment into something different. You’re better than that kind of intellectually dishonest smearing, @Malmesbury

The point is, we don’t have any evidence that he isn’t homophobic. People just seem to assume that it’s not an issue. But it might well be.

We’ll see.
    Why do we need 'evidence'? Theres no accusation of homophobia.
  • Options

ping said:

ping said:

Andy_JS said:

We’ll see.
    Do you always assume people are guilty until there's evidence to the contrary, or is it just Hindus that you apply that to?
    I thought Rishi was one of those Muslamics? They ones with the space lasers? Or is that the Jews? This racism thing is complicated.
  • Options
    nova said:

Watching Yvette UQ on catch up.

Where is Braverman? She's run off.

Cowardman would be a more apt name.

As was explained the previous time Cooper tried this stunt - so she shouldn’t have been surprised to get the same answer again- matters for the Ministerial code reside with the PM and Cabinet Office. She should have asked a smarter question.
    It's hardly a 'stunt' as you put it – it is a reasonable inquiry into why the government has reappointed a home secretary who was sacked for a security breach less than 160 hours ago.
    But she wasn’t sacked for a security breach. She was ticked off for minor security breach, sacked for plotting with backbenchers against government policy.

Just being honest and sticking the facts, I’m right aren’t I?
    Isn't the 'minor security breach' her side of the story.

The other side of the story suggests that this is simply the first time she's been caught, but that she's been sharing info with the same person for some time. It was also suggested that she lied about the details/timing when asked.
    As they say you cannot be a little bit pregnant
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,010
    Selebian said:

rcs1000 said:

Getting a dead link
    Missing end of link
    https://www.whatcar.com/news/every-what-car-car-of-the-year-winner-since-1978/n17074

(I refrained from posting a LMGTFY link, out of respect for the banhammer :wink: )
    A curious mixture of unimpeachable greats (Mk.1 Golf GTI, W123 Merc, 205GTI) and some fucking stinkers (Rover 200, Freelander, Jag XF).
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,771
    ping said:

Sunak does appear to have a woman problem. That often correlates with homophobia.

Really?

Sunak's first favourabilty ratings from YouGov have a marked gender divide. Women give him a net minus 4% rating while with men he's on minus 14%

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/1585160934078656513
  • Options
    LGBT football fans who attend the World Cup in Qatar should show "a little bit of flex and compromise", Foreign Secretary James Cleverly has said.

Speaking to LBC on Wednesday, he told fans travelling from England and Wales to be "respectful of the host nation", where same-sex activity is illegal.

Within hours, the Prime Minister's official spokesman said LGBT fans should not be expected to "compromise who they are" if they visit Qatar for the World Cup.

Sunak has appointed some proper morons
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,827
    rcs1000 said:

On the subject of Bravermann, it appears she wilfully broke the rules by using her personal email address to send confidential documents to people who should not receive them.

I therefore find putting her in charge of - you know - law and order to be an incomprehensible decision

Could have given her something else if she had to be rewarded with a post, and some other headbanger getting HS. It's not difficult.
  • Options

ping said:

Sunak does appear to have a woman problem. That often correlates with homophobia.

Really?

Sunak's first favourabilty ratings from YouGov have a marked gender divide. Women give him a net minus 4% rating while with men he's on minus 14%

10 points doesn't seem that big a divide.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Getting a dead link
    That should work:

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,342
    edited October 2022
    Ishmael_Z said:

Andy_JS said:

Good luck with the Qatar religious police flexing and compromising on the say-so of a UK politician. Seems pretty practical advice otherwise.
    I think that if Qatar isn't a safe place for British homosexuals to visit and act freely then he needs to say so much more clearly, otherwise people could easily get themselves into trouble. I don't know from his comments whether same-sex couples would put themselves at risk by holding hands in public, hugging, sharing hotel rooms, etc.

The question is then for FIFA why they thought such a country was a suitable host for their tournament.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    tlg86 said:

Andy_JS said:

Tricky one, because he has to say it as it is.
    Let's show a bit of flexibility and respect for countries that have the death penalty for homosexuality.
  • Options
    As others have noted, the politician Sunak most resembles - at least at the despatch box - is a young Tony Blair. Sunak has that same smooth, youthful confidence, allied with proper intellect, and even a hint of swagger

Sunak is potentially better than Truss, Boris, May, and Cameron. On this slender slice of evidence
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,504
    edited October 2022

Cleverly on gay sex:

“Flex at both ends is required”

Lube at both ends is better.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ping said:

Really?

10 points doesn't seem that big a divide.
    The reverse of what was claimed.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    ping said:

Andy_JS said:

Sunak comes from the UK.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,144
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

💥 Confirmed: Rishi Sunak will reinstate the England-wide ban on shale gas fracking, senior government insiders confirmed to the FT.

Sunak told PMQs he "stands by" 2019 Tory manifesto which banned fracking. Liz Truss briefly lifted the moratorium.

Although I am highly sceptical about the prospects for shale gas in the UK, I think an outright ban is a foolish decision.

If people wish to spend their own money drilling exploratory wells (and it can be done without impacting local communities too much), then they should be free to do so.
    He claims his mandate from the 2019 Manifesto. We should comb through it and see what other measures we can expect...
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

kjh said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

Agree. As far as I can see there is little evidence for shale gas in the UK and there are clearly local issues when anyone wants to have a go, but why should there be an actual ban?
    Looking at the hilarious example of UK Oil & Gas plc I think the problem is, people don't want to spend their own money on this but that of a load of fuckwitted small investors, probably tory pensioners expecting the win/win of a "ten bagger" plus investing in Our Great Nation and pwning the libs.
    There has always been lots of money made in the oil and gas business drilling dry holes. The people drilling the holes under contract, the people supporting the equipment. The trick is to match deliveries to just before the investors run out of money…
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Interesting PMQs. Just caught up. Sunak confident, but tetchy when challenged and didn't answer a question. Reminded me of Boris with his bluster.

The PMQs barracking is back. We'll have to see if it lasts or if Rishi has it dropped again, as Boris did when he came in.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Sunak did exceptionally well, given the circs. He is fluent, buoyant, combative, lucid, he's very good at rousing cheers from his own side, he is in clear command of the facts, and he knows how to deflect difficult questions. He is also good at sticking to his opponent

It's a damn shame he is almost certain to lose badly in 2024, because, almost by accident, the Tories may finally have alighted on a decent Prime Minister who could do really good things over two terms or so

Sunak is also notably superior to Starmer in the House. Starmer has his work cut out

Prime Ministers win PMQs when they school the LOTO, not when they play defence and deflection. Thatcher, Blair and Cameron all bossed their opponents, making it seem absurd that any of them would be in charge because they were so obviously not as on top of the brief, not as worldly wise and not as commanding. Sunak did a good Johnson impersonation and got through the session without any damage done. For me, there will be a lot of score draws from here on in, which probably suits both sides.

• Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,845
    edited October 2022
    ping said:

ping said:

Andy_JS said:

We’ll see.
    We don't have evidence you arent a serial rapist. Should we assume you are then ? Which is what your comment seemed to imply.

When did we get around to implying people are something nasty because there is no evidence they aren't? Just wow
  • Options
    edited October 2022

LGBT football fans who attend the World Cup in Qatar should show "a little bit of flex and compromise", Foreign Secretary James Cleverly has said.

Speaking to LBC on Wednesday, he told fans travelling from England and Wales to be "respectful of the host nation", where same-sex activity is illegal.

Within hours, the Prime Minister's official spokesman said LGBT fans should not be expected to "compromise who they are" if they visit Qatar for the World Cup.

Already been posted and discussed. Would you prefer the foreign secretary advised people travelling abroad to break local laws?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

On the subject of Bravermann, it appears she wilfully broke the rules by using her personal email address to send confidential documents to people who should not receive them.

I therefore find putting her in charge of - you know - law and order to be an incomprehensible decision

Talking of breaking the rules, the looming Standards Committee enquiry into certain statements made by Boris is going to be a very interesting test for Sunak. Objectively speaking, there surely can be no better outcome for him than Boris being sanctioned, a recall election being held, and Boris losing it (or flouncing out). At the same time, he needs to be very careful to conceal his glee at the prospect. It's a tricky one for him.
    Who knows, Boris may yet wriggle out - plenty of Tory MPs would be willing to derail it as well, with the legal pretexts he has raised - but yes, Sunak has been keen to stress how much he supposedly likes and respects Boris, even when Boris has been slagging him off as in the first leadership contest, and his people desperate to appoint anyone else until they could see there was no other option. So even without the years as his Chancellor he cannot easily disassociate.

Not sure how he would play it, to be honest. Governments probably don't like anyone, even someone no longer in it, to face consequences for misleading the House - could have ramifications.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Ishmael_Z said:

Andy_JS said:

Good luck with the Qatar religious police flexing and compromising on the say-so of a UK politician. Seems pretty practical advice otherwise.
    I think that if Qatar isn't a safe place for British homosexuals to visit and act freely then he needs to say so much more clearly, otherwise people could easily get themselves into trouble. I don't know from his comments whether same-sex couples would put themselves at risk by holding hands in public, hugging, sharing hotel rooms, etc.

The question is then for FIFA why they thought such a country was a suitable host for their tournament.
    And the question for virtue signalling footballers is, why aren't they boycotting the World Cup? They actually have the power to make a difference in this case.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited October 2022

ping said:

ping said:

Andy_JS said:

We’ll see.
    Do you always assume people are guilty until there's evidence to the contrary, or is it just Hindus that you apply that to?
    I’ve hit a nerve, clearly.

“Any form of ostentatious behaviour or public flaunting would be utterly distasteful.”

Lord Arran, 1967.

Basically what Sunak’s appointment to one of the highest offices in the land, just said.

Sunak agrees.

He’s a Homophobe. Surely you can see this is rather problematic, No?

• Options

MaxPB said:

Rishi Sunak considering dumping the pensions triple lock

(Just one week after Liz Truss committed to keeping it!)

Excellent news

I've had a long think about this and IMO the government should keep the triple lock. There are millions of older people with very low fixed incomes facing a huge rise in costs and have no means of increasing their incomes. Handing them a real term income cut is inhumane and will push millions of people into misery.

[snip]
    You're confusing two separate things here. The government could ditch the triple lock as a long-term commitment (and should do so, because of its long-term ratchet effect). But that wouldn't have to mean that pensions, along with other benefits, can't be upgraded by inflation this year, and perhaps next year, given the extreme pressures you rightly identify.

Done like that, I think the political hit would be manageable.

Yep - it keeps the client vote happy and hammers the young once more!

• Options

“I have spoken to the Qatari authorities in the past about gay football fans going to the World Cup, and how they will treat our fans and international fans,” he said.

“They want to make sure that football fans are safe, secure and enjoy themselves. They know they have to make some compromises in terms of what is an Islamic country, with a very different set of cultural norms to our own.

“One of the things I’d say to football fans is please do be respectful of the host nation. They’re trying to ensure that people can be themselves and enjoy the football.

“I think with a little bit of flex and compromise at both ends, it can be a safe and secure World Cup.”

Hardly a controversial statement. What do you want the Foreign Secretary to say? A good Foreign Secretary lives in this world, not the one he wants to be in.
    Qatar is shiny place run by 17th religious rules - including the corruption.

I’d strongly advise anyone going there to not break any of their stupid, nasty laws.

I’m all up for invading the place and doing a General Napier impression on the locals.
  • Options

Leon said:

Prime Ministers win PMQs when they school the LOTO, not when they play defence and deflection. Thatcher, Blair and Cameron all bossed their opponents, making it seem absurd that any of them would be in charge because they were so obviously not as on top of the brief, not as worldly wise and not as commanding. Sunak did a good Johnson impersonation and got through the session without any damage done. For me, there will be a lot of score draws from here on in, which probably suits both sides.

Nah, that's bollocks

Sunak was absolutely on the defence from the start because of the insane Boris-Truss circus that preceded him, plus things like Braverman, non doms (all of which Starmer tried as attack lines). Sunak laughed them off, with dexterity, and then attacked Starmer with elan (note Sunak's accusation that Starmer wanted to overturn the Brexit vote - which he did - that will be used time and again)

I made it 3-1 to Sunak. Not quite the thrashing that Dan Hodges saw but a quite emphatic victory, especially as Sunak was the underdog playing his first match

Labour will be concerned. They should not be overly concerned: I am still sure they will win in 2024. But a tiny shadow of doubt has been introduced. I suspect you felt that same brief disquieting sense of Hmmm
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    ping said:

ping said:

ping said:

Andy_JS said:

We’ll see.
    I’ve hit a nerve, clearly.

“Any form of ostentatious behaviour or public flaunting would be utterly distasteful.”

Lord Arran, 1967.

Basically what Sunak’s appointment to one of the highest offices in the land, just said.

Sunak agrees.

He’s a Homophobe. Surely you can see this is rather problematic, No?

You showed outright racism, so I don't think people calling you on it shows you "hit a nerve".
  • Options
    ping said:

ping said:

Andy_JS said:

We’ll see.
    Many things might be an issue. But if an allegation is made, or implied, which is reputationally harmful, it should be backed up with something concrete.

If there was speculation Boris was being unfaithful there's quite a bit that could lead people to reasonably think it might be true. We'd need quite a bit more than what community someone comes from to presume potential homophobia - he's obviously not a typical person of any community.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,989
    Mr. Observer, Blair often lost PMQs to Hague. It didn't affect much.

PMQs is flim-flam. People are worried about inflation, interest rates, the cost of living, and market confidence.
  • Options
    Driver said:

ping said:

Andy_JS said:

Sunak comes from the UK.
    There are many different communities in the UK. I don't agree with ping, but I don't think he was implying unBritishness.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Nah, that's bollocks

Sunak was absolutely on the defence from the start because of the insane Boris-Truss circus that preceded him, plus things like Braverman, non doms (all of which Starmer tried as attack lines). Sunak laughed them off, with dexterity, and then attacked Starmer with elan (note Sunak's accusation that Starmer wanted to overturn the Brexit vote - which he did - that will be used time and again)

I made it 3-1 to Sunak. Not quite the thrashing that Dan Hodges saw but a quite emphatic victory, especially as Sunak was the underdog playing his first match

Labour will be concerned. They should not be overly concerned: I am still sure they will win in 2024. But a tiny shadow of doubt has been introduced. I suspect you felt that same brief disquieting sense of Hmmm
    Nah. Right wingers so scarred by Truss cling to any glimmer of light. All this talk of Blair is silly. Sunak was better than Truss last week. That’s about it.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,303
    Leon said:

Yet another one who is apparently going to surprise us on the upside?

Kiss of death for Sunak!
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,010
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Nah, that's bollocks

You're forgetting one thing.

🧍🏽‍♂️ <- ACTUAL SIZE

The British people won't vote for a short arse.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Nah, that's bollocks

I had such a qualm at the start. But when he resorted to bluster, and the glottal stop of the Blairite everyman, I relaxed a bit.

Way, way better than his immediate predecessors but sorely lacking purpose.

If it makes Labour work harder, that is good for everyone.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

ping said:

Really?

That’s how women see him.

I’m talking about how he sees women. He’s no Cameronite liberal.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,089
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Nah, that's bollocks

Sunak also presents a major challenge to the narrative that Labour want to take hold of the Tories being uncomfortable with modern Britain. He's almost 20 years younger than Starmer, and ironically probably has less need to prove his patriotism.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Nah, that's bollocks

Yes, Sunak said things you liked. It was defensive culture war stuff that will definitely appeal to a certain demographic of older, prosperous voters. In the real world, though, where so many people are struggling to pay their bills and do not believe the government is that interested in their concerns, Corbyn, North London and Brexit may not be the great attack points you think they are.

• Options
    Leon said:

As others have noted, the politician Sunak most resembles - at least at the despatch box - is a young Tony Blair. Sunak has that same smooth, youthful confidence, allied with proper intellect, and even a hint of swagger

Sunak is potentially better than Truss, Boris, May, and Cameron. On this slender slice of evidence

A shame, if so, since as you note he's likely to lose. 12 years in at a broken, exhausted government entering a recession is not the time to find a once in a generation talent.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nah, that's bollocks

Nah. Right wingers so scarred by Truss cling to any glimmer of light. All this talk of Blair is silly. Sunak was better than Truss last week. That’s about it.
    With viewing @Leon 's comments through the prism that this was the same guy that promised Liz would "surprise on the upside" then continued to lavish praise upon his new heroine
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nah, that's bollocks

ACTUAL SIZE

The British people won't vote for a short arse.
    Needs to avoid photo ops with tall candidates, and make sure he's flanked by the shorter Cabinet Members. Tom Cruise his premiership.

(Actually, Mr Cruise is shown at his actual height in many movies now).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Needs to avoid photo ops with tall candidates, and make sure he's flanked by the shorter Cabinet Members. Tom Cruise his premiership.

One of the favourite PB thread header pics

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,504
    edited October 2022

ping said:

Guilty until proven innocent?

Which “socially conservative community” are you referring to?

- Southampton?
    - Winchester?
    - Oxford?
    - Stanford?
    - London?
    - Richmond?

Do tell…..
    I come from a socially conservative community, I've been best man at three same sex weddings, fourth one next year.
  • Options
    ping said:

ping said:

Really?

So you know better than women about how Sunak views women? Glad we’ve cleared that up.
  • Options
    Mmm
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nah, that's bollocks

🧍🏽‍♂️ <- ACTUAL SIZE

The British people won't vote for a short arse.</p>
    He’s gonna need some “Sunak boxes” for sure. A La sarkozy
  • Options
    ping said:

ping said:

Really?

How does he see women? And is that him acting alone or in cahoots with his 'socially conservative community'?
  • Options

ping said:

ping said:

Really?

So you know better than women about how Sunak views women? Glad we’ve cleared that up.
    This allegation, at least, has something behind it, even if it is not strong, with people able if they wish to point to Rishi's talking over Truss and interrupting in the debates. Not exactly hard proof of mysogyny though.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980

kle4 said:

Is he very small, or very far away?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,696

Watching Yvette UQ on catch up.

Where is Braverman? She's run off.

Cowardman would be a more apt name.

As was explained the previous time Cooper tried this stunt - so she shouldn’t have been surprised to get the same answer again- matters for the Ministerial code reside with the PM and Cabinet Office. She should have asked a smarter question.
    It's hardly a 'stunt' as you put it – it is a reasonable inquiry into why the government has reappointed a home secretary who was sacked for a security breach less than 160 hours ago.
    But she wasn’t sacked for a security breach. She was ticked off for minor security breach, sacked for plotting with backbenchers against government policy.

Just being honest and sticking the facts, I’m right aren’t I?
    She was sacked for a gross breach of ministerial confidence (and lied about it in an attempt to minimise the offence).

Irrespective of whether it concerned security matters (which is unlikely, since it would then have been a criminal offence under the Official Secrets Act), it's extraordinary to appoint someone so publicly incapable of being trusted to a post like Home Secretary.
  • Options
    This is our guidance for visitors to North Korea:

"Few British people visit North Korea. Those that do are usually part of an organised tour. If you decide to visit North Korea, follow the advice of your tour group and the local authorities. Failure to do so could put your personal safety at risk.

Offences that would be considered trivial in other countries can incur very severe penalties in North Korea, particularly actions the authorities deem to be disrespectful towards the North Korean leadership or government."

i.e. follow the rules. We don't like them, we'd be fine if nobody went, but they are they are.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,089
    Interesting thread on the state of Franco-German relations:

@Mij_Europe
    Hard to articulate just how far Germany's star in EU has fallen. In Bxl & EU capitals, Berlin is seen to be on wrong side of every important debate - weapons to Ukraine, more fiscal solidarity in Europe, energy market interventions etc. It's even affected bilateral Fr-Ger ties

https://twitter.com/Mij_Europe/status/1585170573289586689
  • Options
    ping said:

ping said:

ping said:

Andy_JS said:

We’ll see.
    He’s a Homophobe.
    I expect that’s reflected in his voting record, voting against gay marriage and equal gay rights?

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/25428/rishi_sunak/richmond_(yorks)/votes
  • Options
    Christ. Sunak's height AGAIN.

We just need 150 posts regarding the history of Boris' body weight, and PB Tech Bros telling us why What3Words is a great system really, and the day will be complete
  • Options
    edited October 2022

ping said:

- Southampton?
    - Winchester?
    - Oxford?
    - Stanford?
    - London?
    - Richmond?

Do tell…..
    I come from a socially conservative community, I've been best man at three same sex weddings, fourth one next year.
    Yes, and you’re rather unusual. I have a lot of respect to you, for that.

There’s a liberal blind spot when it comes to homophobia in immigrant communities. They’re happy to yell “racism” and throw gays under the bus.

The gays should know their place, is the message.

I expect better from my prime minister.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

Is he very small, or very far away?
    The perplexing perspective reminds me of this Caravaggio

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://www.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03330/The-Burial-of-St-L_3330276b.jpg&amp;imgrefurl=https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/11652156/Italy-churches-fight-over-Caravaggio-masterpiece.html&amp;tbnid=t2ZrK68ADrd8-M&amp;vet=12ahUKEwip6ersiP76AhUD_4UKHT_TAg4QMygJegUIARDIAQ..i&amp;docid=jXKcF1OYalQpqM&amp;w=620&amp;h=387&amp;q=caravaggio burial of st lucy&amp;client=safari&amp;ved=2ahUKEwip6ersiP76AhUD_4UKHT_TAg4QMygJegUIARDIAQ
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,964

ping said:

ping said:

Really?

How does he see women? And is that him acting alone or in cahoots with his 'socially conservative community'?
    Coming from the same “community” as Sunak myself, the “boys only boarding school followed by university and a career in finance community” I imagine he sees women the same way as all of our community do, some are great, some are fine and some are horrible. Our community also sees men the same way.

I’m guessing this is the community being referred to?

• Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nah, that's bollocks

Yes, Sunak said things you liked. It was defensive culture war stuff that will definitely appeal to a certain demographic of older, prosperous voters. In the real world, though, where so many people are struggling to pay their bills and do not believe the government is that interested in their concerns, Corbyn, North London and Brexit may not be the great attack points you think they are.

As I have said, you are highly likely to win in 2024. Maybe even win really big

But Sunak looks - on the narrow evidence we have so far - like he will actually put up a fight rather than rolling over and dying. And yes he will say rightwing things that annoy leftwingers, because he is rightwing. He will also, I predict, do centrist things that make him harder to oppose. He does have that Blairite sleekness and Tiggerishness, which is simultaneously annoying but plausible - and effective

What he does not have is Blair's fortunately perfect timing in terms of electoral cycles and the economy
  • Options
    ping said:

ping said:

- Southampton?
    - Winchester?
    - Oxford?
    - Stanford?
    - London?
    - Richmond?

Do tell…..
    The fucking state of this
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    kle4 said:

ping said:

ping said:

Really?

This allegation, at least, has something behind it, even if it is not strong, with people able if they wish to point to Rishi's talking over Truss and interrupting in the debates. Not exactly hard proof of mysogyny though.
    As a woman, having a man talk over you or interrupt you is "Situation Normal"
  • Options
    boulay said:

ping said:

ping said:

Really?

Coming from the same “community” as Sunak myself, the “boys only boarding school followed by university and a career in finance community” I imagine he sees women the same way as all of our community do, some are great, some are fine and some are horrible. Our community also sees men the same way.

I’m guessing this is the community being referred to?

I have no idea, dog whistles being very hard to hear
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,730
    Disappointed by the fracking decision. We'll just have to build more wind farms instead, which I've always been in favour of.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389

ping said:

ping said:

- Southampton?
    - Winchester?
    - Oxford?
    - Stanford?
    - London?
    - Richmond?

Do tell…..
    Do you have to swear?
  • Options
    Can we dispense with the heady cocktail of racism and homophobia as I think the positions are quite clear, and return to the serious matters of the day, such as puns?
  • Options
    edited October 2022

ping said:

ping said:

- Southampton?
    - Winchester?
    - Oxford?
    - Stanford?
    - London?
    - Richmond?

Do tell…..
    Do you have to swear?
    No, but i sometimes like to
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,453

Christ. Sunak's height AGAIN.

We just need 150 posts regarding the history of Boris' body weight, and PB Tech Bros telling us why What3Words is a great system really, and the day will be complete

Truss blew it by lightening her hair tone. She wobbled previously when moving from darker to lighter, but quickly reverted back. Shortly after gaining number 10 she lightened her hair tone, and it all started to go wrong for her.

Fact.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nah, that's bollocks

With viewing @Leon 's comments through the prism that this was the same guy that promised Liz would "surprise on the upside" then continued to lavish praise upon his new heroine
    I did indulge in some ludicrous hopecasting over Truss, I wanted to believe- in my existential despair - that the leader manque was going to be good. Who really wants to believe the future PM is going to be a disaster?

I am not sure I then "continued to lavish praise", I believe I reverted to my grave doubts about her

eg When they did the Truss/Kwarteng! mini budget I explicitly compared it, on here, to "pulling out of a gruelling traffic jam and overtaking it - by driving at 140mph on the wrong side of the road, in the dark"

I anticipated a disaster. And so it was. They hit the oncoming lorry of the bond markets
  • Options
    edited October 2022

kle4 said:

ping said:

ping said:

Really?

Let me just butt in...
  • Options

kle4 said:

ping said:

ping said:

Really?

That's odd. I've always found that, as a man, having a woman talk over me or interrupt me is "Situation Normal".
  • Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    edited October 2022

"Few British people visit North Korea. Those that do are usually part of an organised tour. If you decide to visit North Korea, follow the advice of your tour group and the local authorities. Failure to do so could put your personal safety at risk.

Offences that would be considered trivial in other countries can incur very severe penalties in North Korea, particularly actions the authorities deem to be disrespectful towards the North Korean leadership or government."

i.e. follow the rules. We don't like them, we'd be fine if nobody went, but they are they are.

It's also the existing FCO guidance to LGBT people:

in all circumstances find out about the local laws and social attitudes towards homosexuality and gender identity in the country and area you’re visiting

In some countries, homosexuality and/or homosexual relations are illegal and can be subject to severe penalties. In countries where homosexual relations are legal, levels of tolerance and acceptance within society may still vary hugely. In some places, it may be best for all couples to avoid overt public displays of affection so as not to attract unwanted attention.

if you receive unwelcome attention or unwelcome remarks about your sexuality or gender identity, it’s usually best to ignore them and move to a safe place. Depending on the country or area you’re in, you may then want to report it to the authorities

Which can only indicate that the UK government is institutionally homophobic.
  • Options
    Russia has officially informed China that Ukraine is planning to detonate a radioactive “dirty bomb”.

The U.S., UK and France have previously jointly stated that the information is rubbish.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1585253100285153281
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ping said:

- Southampton?
    - Winchester?
    - Oxford?
    - Stanford?
    - London?
    - Richmond?

Do tell…..
    Hopefully that's because you have a lot of friends who think you'd make a damn fine best man, and not that the person you were best man to has crashed and burned in three marriages already and is moving on to a fourth.
    I know this may come as a shock to many, but apparently my best man speeches are fucking hilarious and very romantic.

Two out of three, I helped come out, so they've always been grateful for that. One was in the late 90s, when Section 28 was in force. Around the time The Sun asked if a gay mafia was running the UK.

Arrived at uni together, he was quiet and one night confessed to me he was gay, but a virgin.

He didn't know what to do, so I took him to a gay bar (my first time as well), he met some wonderful people, he was annoyed because they all thought I was gay and he was my wing man.

I kinda of regret taking him there as I'm still traumatised about the conversations about douching.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,620
    edited October 2022
    In case anyone is interested, my Octopus Agile Export tariff has just gone completely live - quite a palaver to get all the paperwork in place, but just routine rather than difficult.

Export is where Octopus pay you 15p for each unit you export from your solar or solar / battery setup.
    Agile Export is where the price you get is set according to the price each half hour in the wholesale electricity market.

This is an example of the summary graph from 13th October, which was one of the best 2 or 3 days from the last fortnight. Interesting developments in the micro-generation market:

• Options
    kle4 said:

ping said:

ping said:

Really?

This allegation, at least, has something behind it, even if it is not strong, with people able if they wish to point to Rishi's talking over Truss and interrupting in the debates....
    To me, that is just nonsense.

Being arrogant and talking over your opponent is common to politicians of both sexes. I was surprised at the time by the number of people who habitually complain about "wokery" labelling it "mansplaining".

I have no idea whether or not Sunak has 'a woman problem', but if he's a misogynist, he's managed so far not to display any great evidence of it.
  • Options

Russia has officially informed China that Ukraine is planning to detonate a radioactive “dirty bomb”.

The U.S., UK and France have previously jointly stated that the information is rubbish.

Maximum horse shittery. As is Russias 'everything hit its target' assessment of todays nuclear war games
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

ping said:

ping said:

Really?

This allegation, at least, has something behind it, even if it is not strong, with people able if they wish to point to Rishi's talking over Truss and interrupting in the debates....
    To me, that is just nonsense.

Being arrogant and talking over your opponent is common to politicians of both sexes. I was surprised at the time by the number of people who habitually complain about "wokery" labelling it "mansplaining".

I have no idea whether or not Sunak has 'a woman problem', but if he's a misogynist, he's managed so far not to display any great evidence of it.
    Oh, if that's all there is I don't think such an accusation would stand up, but it is at least a hook by which to make an accusation, which is lacking in the other one.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980

I wouldn’t worry. I don’t think they have enough money to be able to offer FIFA the requisite bribes.

Though, to be fair, given that their football team has on occasion qualified on the field to participate in previous world cups, they do have a considerably stronger case to host than Qatar does.
  • Options

kle4 said:

ping said:

ping said:

Really?

That's odd. I've always found that, as a man, having a woman talk over me or interrupt me is "Situation Normal".
    Or a man.
  • Options

ping said:

ping said:

ping said:

Andy_JS said:

We’ll see.
    He’s a Homophobe.
    I expect that’s reflected in his voting record, voting against gay marriage and equal gay rights?

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/25428/rishi_sunak/richmond_(yorks)/votes
    Lot of (total, in fact) absences in the social matters votes. Can you recall why ?
  • Options
    ping said:

Andy_JS said:

Do we have any evidence that he is? Or are you discriminating against him solely because of his ethnic or religious background? 🤨

Its a difficult situation but Cleverly is right. It'd be better if the World Cup were not held in Qatar, but when in Rome you have to do as the Romans do. If you don't want to, then don't travel there. If you break Qatari law then the fact the law is repugnant won't get you out of legal trouble.
  • Options

Maximum horse shittery. As is Russias 'everything hit its target' assessment of todays nuclear war games
    As long as the target was "the ground" they're good.
This discussion has been closed.