Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

And so Day 44 of Truss’s premiership continues – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,146
    I’m going to stick my neck out here: Gove by Friday. Discuss

https://twitter.com/Aiannucci/status/1582834626803814400
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Rugby League is shite but the last 2 minutes of the Wales - Cook Island match is well worth a watch.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Has she been at the booze, or something stronger ?

https://twitter.com/PA/status/1582825033743085570
    Deputy Prime Minister Therese Coffey (pictured) has said the Chief Whip Wendy Morton did a “great job”.

Speaking outside the Carlton Club in central London, where Cabinet members were meeting, she said: “It was a great victory today for the Chief Whip, great credit to her."<\i>

Re: resignation, they are working overtime (for a change) trying to get the Whip to fogetaboutit.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,342

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    2h
    Please
    @trussliz
    . You aren't a bad person. You've served this country with honour for 8 years in senior positions. You must know this can't go on any longer now. For the sake of everyone, go to the King, resign, & recommend he send for Starmer.

Since Starmer can't command the support of the House, that would actually make things worse not better.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    2h
    Please
    @trussliz
    . You aren't a bad person. You've served this country with honour for 8 years in senior positions. You must know this can't go on any longer now. For the sake of everyone, go to the King, resign, & recommend he send for Starmer.

Why would she do that? He doesn’t command the confidence of the house.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,996

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Stuff politics. Cook Islands join the pantheon of heroes by beating Wales in the World Cup. #legends #notsamoathistime

Did I not hear this morning that Wales have not won a game at the Rugby League WC since about 2001?
    Probably true.

Nobody in Wales cares about Rugby League.
    Not sure large parts of England do either.

The reality is that the money has got really good in union* over the past 10-15 years, so that's the game you want to play if the oval ball game is your thing.

* the way Worchester and Wasps have gone bust, too good by the looks of it.
    Except in Australia of course.
    The money in the NRL is very decent indeed. And you are a celebrity of the highest status in Sydney and Brisbane. Hence it is the level that Pacific Islander immigrants (even in New Zealand) aspire to reach.
    RU in this country needs a haircut. Number one all over. Can't compete with France
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,135

The last few days have left me pondering how the press and PB Tories would be reacting if a Labour government were presiding over this kind of chaos. We would probably have had a coup by now.
    Whereas as a Labour supporter watching this carnage unfold my main feeling is a kind of gallows humour in the macabre spectacle of it all. I ought to be more angry about it I suppose - they really are trashing this country's reputation. But the last few years have left me feeling so numbed by the sheer awfulness of the people who rule us and their idiotic schemes that I just can't rouse myself to even fucking care anymore.

I know it’s not quite in the same league but it’s easy to forget how chaotic it got when plotters were trying to force Gordon Brown out.
    Not in the same league is an understatement. If this is premier league chaos then James Purnell resigning is Sunday League under 12s jumpers for goalposts stuff by comparison.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Rugby League is shite but the last 2 minutes of the Wales - Cook Island match is well worth a watch.

it was immense!
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,805
    ydoethur said:

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    2h
    Please
    @trussliz

Since Starmer can't command the support of the House, that would actually make things worse not better.
    I don’t think Truss can command the support of the House. I’m not certain Sunak, Mordaunt or Hunt can either! Braverman and Johnson definitely can’t.

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,314
    Is Brady as incompetent as Truss?

Surely he must realise that continual delay and prevarication just makes the situation worse?

There is simply no excuse. He should call a meeting now. And now means now, not when he's had dinner or whatever else. The 1922 Committee changes the rules now and tells Truss if she doesn't resign immediately the No Confidence vote is tomorrow.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    RobD said:

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    2h
    Please
    @trussliz

Neither does Ms Truss...
  • Options
    Wow

• Options

ydoethur said:

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    2h
    Please
    @trussliz

I don’t think Truss can command the support of the House. I’m not certain Sunak, Mordaunt or Hunt can either! Braverman and Johnson definitely can’t.

in that case, Starmer should not be appointed, instead we should have an election.
  • Options
    BREAKING: Chief Whip and Deputy Chief Whip remain in post. !! What a reversal.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

this lot are so useless they can't even organise a proper political crisis!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,419
    Well, karma for Brexit has been a while in coming, but it looks like it is going to be commensurate.
  • Options

Wow

You really think that sharp uptick in popularity of Spam, is really THAT surprising under current HMG?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,139

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    2h
    Please
    @trussliz

Lilico keeps looking stupid by making the same mistake.

Starmer has no majority.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Hang on.
    Was this a confidence measure or not?
    Imagine you voted purely because of the threat of losing the Whip?
    Then find out the Whips didn't?
    Thick of it would have rejected that script as fantasy.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,503

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Stuff politics. Cook Islands join the pantheon of heroes by beating Wales in the World Cup. #legends #notsamoathistime

Did I not hear this morning that Wales have not won a game at the Rugby League WC since about 2001?
    Probably true.

Nobody in Wales cares about Rugby League.
    Apart from Jonathon ‘Jiffy’ Davies.

Complete aside - was at Pembroke Castle on Saturday. A video history of the castle was narrated by Eddie Butler. Lovely to hear him again, but sad also.
    That mention of Eddie Butler set me off on a random wander through the history of Welsh rugby - pausing on the way to note that like almost no other sport (apart, perhaps, from New Zealand rugby) Welsh rugby is a game for all strata of society, and landed me at this. Which is always worth sharing: https://youtu.be/x1YV5xMWlK8
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I thought that Hunt would bring a period of calm, but the government is still completely wracked with crisis. Is there any person who can bring any stability to this situation as PM?

Feels a bit like it's too far gone for that now. There's too much division and bad feeling. There needs to be an election.

No, there shouldn’t be an election until at least late 2024. It is in the long term interest of the country and it’s people that the Tories utterly destroy themselves to the extent the party no longer exists. The traditional one nation Conservatives can form a new party or join the Lib Dems. The HYUFD, Braverman, Francois wing can join Farage in a British Union Of Trumpists and see themselves politically annihilated by ordinary decent people.
    The party will always exist, certainly under FPTP.

About a quarter to a third of the UK population are also ideologically right of centre despite your sanctimonious, patronising high horse comment that that automatically makes them not decent people
    I agree that a quarter to a third of the UK population are also ideologically right of centre and that most are decent people. It’s the extreme 5% that have taken over your party that are damaging the country. I also believe that you are a decent person, but why do you continue to defend the indefensible?
    I didn't vote for Truss but even now the Tories are still getting about 20 to 25% of the vote, that is rather more than an ultra extreme mere 5% of the population
    You supported Truss' policies and you now support policies which are the complete opposite.

You are no one, you hold no political views, you are loyal to nothing, you have no political beliefs. Nothing.

But you are great on opinion polls.
    No I didn't, I never supported the 45p cut in the top income tax rate nor her former republicanism nor her cutting free travel for veterans to Remembrance Sunday.
    You supported her mini-budget with very minor qualms and now you support the reversal of her mini-budget.

You have lost all credibility. Like your party.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846

HYUFD said:

I thought that Hunt would bring a period of calm, but the government is still completely wracked with crisis. Is there any person who can bring any stability to this situation as PM?

Feels a bit like it's too far gone for that now. There's too much division and bad feeling. There needs to be an election.

No, there shouldn’t be an election until at least late 2024. It is in the long term interest of the country and it’s people that the Tories utterly destroy themselves to the extent the party no longer exists. The traditional one nation Conservatives can form a new party or join the Lib Dems. The HYUFD, Braverman, Francois wing can join Farage in a British Union Of Trumpists and see themselves politically annihilated by ordinary decent people.

About a quarter to a third of the UK population are also ideologically right of centre despite your sanctimonious, patronising high horse comment that that automatically makes them not decent people
    I agree that a quarter to a third of the UK population are also ideologically right of centre and that most are decent people. It’s the extreme 5% that have taken over your party that are damaging the country. I also believe that you are a decent person, but why do you continue to defend the indefensible?
    The tory party is leftist these days. HYUFD isnt decent he is a robber baron. I am fairly far right and his politics sicken me as he has no empathy its all about what benefits him and people like him.
  • Options
    Must say my exceptionally confident lay of Sunak a whole 5 days ago starts to weigh heavy on my mind.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

RobD said:

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    2h
    Please
    @trussliz

Neither does Ms Truss...
    In this scenario she wouldn’t be recommending herself.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,999
    Pagan2 said:

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Ch4 News. We are facing disaster which is now unavoidable. It is self inflicted and caused by Brexit. So says Nouriel Roubini.

Utterly ridiculous. The entire world is facing disaster and it’s fuck all to do with Brexit
    Bit like this tho, innit

Literally - the world has moved on, and the problems the UK is facing are due to the world economy, Covid, and the Ukraine situation. The Brexit thing is minuscule in comparison.

I sometimes yearn for a nuclear war just to see how people manage to blame it on Brexit.

I'm sure people will still be arguing we'd have better access to nutritious rats and preferential access to the EU's tinned bean mountain if only we were still part of the common market.

Is covid much of a factor now? It seems to have become a background issue compared to the price shock and the rank incompetence of the government

Covid is still being felt in supply chains, especially with China's zero covid policy

I am also waiting for enough data to prove my theory that the WFH revolution is massively beneficial to the skilled, educated class who can be trusted to work from home efficiently and effectively, but massively detrimental to the wider economy because most people are neither skilled, nor able to be trusted to work from home effectively. My thesis is that the WFH boom massively benefits the managerial class who are inherently hard working and dedicated, but leads to far lower productivity amongst lower skilled workers who need more direct management.
    The managerial class hate wfh....it proves mostly they arent needed to be looking over staff shoulders all the time. The only people I have ever heard object to working from home are those that cant, people who own offices and middle managers who had the raison d'etre of supervising staff now working from home
    I wouldn't want a job where I had no choice but to work from home all the time. But plenty of others could do it just fine.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,321

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    2h
    Please
    @trussliz

Starmer has no majority.
    Tories abstain all the time in order to keep their seats for two more years???
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,637
    edited October 2022
    Complete list of Tory no-shows for freaking fracking vote of quasi-semi-confidence:

Nigel Adams
    Stuart Andrew
    Gareth Bacon
    Siobhan Baillie
    Greg Clark
    Sir Geoffrey Cox
    Tracey Crouch
    David Davis
    Dame Caroline Dinenage
    Nadine Dorries
    Sir James Duddridge
    Sir Iain Duncan Smith
    Philip Dunne
    Nigel Evans
    Mark Fletcher
    Vicky Ford
    Paul Holmes
    Alister Jack
    Boris Johnson
    Gillian Keegan
    Kwasi Kwarteng
    Dame Eleanor Laing
    Robert Largan
    Pauline Latham
    Chris Loder
    Mark Logan
    Theresa May
    Wendy Morton
    Priti Patel
    Mark Pawsey
    Angela Richardson
    Andrew Rosindell
    Bob Seely
    Alok Sharma
    Chris Skidmore
    Henry Smith
    Mark Spencer
    Elizabeth Truss
    Ben Wallace
    Sir John Whittingdale
    William Wragg
    Sir Jeremy Wright

ADDENDUM - and here are Labour absentees (my guess for tactical reason mostly?)

Debbie Abrahams
    Fleur Anderson
    Tonia Antoniazzi
    Apsana Begum
    Kevin Brennan
    Ian Byrne
    Rosie Cooper
    Dame Angela Eagle
    Mary Kelly Foy
    Dame Diana Johnson
    Darren Jones
    Liz Kendall
    Clive Lewis
    Tony Lloyd
    Andy McDonald
    Conor McGinn
    Jim McMahon
    Ian Mearns
    Abena Oppong-Asare
    Angela Rayner
    Rachel Reeves
    Naz Shah
    Karin Smyth
    Alex Sobel
    Graham Stringer
    Karl Turner
    Liz Twist
    Dame Rosie Winterton
  • Options
    RobD said:

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    2h
    Please
    @trussliz

Yes, that would in effect be the same as calling for an election.
  • Options
    Worth remembering the woman responsible for all this was appointed to govt jobs by 3x Prime Ministers for 10 years, and yet was actually THIS SHIT AT EVERYTHING.

https://twitter.com/fleetstreetfox/status/1582836943435739136
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Must say my exceptionally confident lay of Sunak a whole 5 days ago starts to weigh heavy on my mind.

I've been slagging his chances for half a year, he's going to make me look a fool at this rate.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,566
    edited October 2022
    Pagan2 said:

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Ch4 News. We are facing disaster which is now unavoidable. It is self inflicted and caused by Brexit. So says Nouriel Roubini.

Utterly ridiculous. The entire world is facing disaster and it’s fuck all to do with Brexit
    Bit like this tho, innit

Literally - the world has moved on, and the problems the UK is facing are due to the world economy, Covid, and the Ukraine situation. The Brexit thing is minuscule in comparison.

I sometimes yearn for a nuclear war just to see how people manage to blame it on Brexit.

I'm sure people will still be arguing we'd have better access to nutritious rats and preferential access to the EU's tinned bean mountain if only we were still part of the common market.

Is covid much of a factor now? It seems to have become a background issue compared to the price shock and the rank incompetence of the government

Covid is still being felt in supply chains, especially with China's zero covid policy

I am also waiting for enough data to prove my theory that the WFH revolution is massively beneficial to the skilled, educated class who can be trusted to work from home efficiently and effectively, but massively detrimental to the wider economy because most people are neither skilled, nor able to be trusted to work from home effectively. My thesis is that the WFH boom massively benefits the managerial class who are inherently hard working and dedicated, but leads to far lower productivity amongst lower skilled workers who need more direct management.
    The managerial class hate wfh....it proves mostly they arent needed to be looking over staff shoulders all the time. The only people I have ever heard object to working from home are those that cant, people who own offices and middle managers who had the raison d'etre of supervising staff now working from home
    From a relative who runs a company employing a fair number of low skilled staff - the problem is that they have been treated like shit as standard. Replaceable shit.

He finds that they are so hardened by this that they find being treated decently unnerving. Wages paid correctly and on time. Tax paperwork done quickly and correctly. Proper equipment. Proper safety gear - and instructions to stop work if there is a safety issue…. They find it almost wrong…

EDIT: so if they have an opportunity to skive, they will. Because if you treat people like shit, they owe you no loyalty or dependability.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Hang on.
    It has been a most confusing vote victory.

Apparently it was declared not a confidence vote shortly before it, but even though most MPs gibber away on whatsapp most of the day many might not have picked up the news.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Alistair said:

We should form a support group.

But there is a bit of a Where's Wally narrative developing about him. Was he actually in the House yesterday/today?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    edited October 2022
    Been working today. Off the news. Finally look at the news tonight. What an almighty shit show. I know it’s impossible, but quite frankly the Tories needs to trigger a general election and get out of dodge. This is awful.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    BBC now reporting Chief Whip and Deputy Chief Whip still in post.

Confused.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,220

Wow

I know. The Six Nations on Netflix. WTF?
  • Options

Wow

You really think that sharp uptick in popularity of Spam, is really THAT surprising under current HMG?
    True story, relative of mine used to take spam sandwiches to work every day for lunch, and several months back they switched to corned beef because it was cheaper.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,562
    ydoethur said:

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    2h
    Please
    @trussliz

Andrew Lilico is barking.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    Where was the opposition on this vote. 230 isn't good enough.
  • Options
    How is Huw Edwards going to avoid saying 'clusterfuck'???
  • Options

Complete list of Tory no-shows for freaking fracking vote of quasi-semi-confidence:

Nigel Adams
    Stuart Andrew
    Gareth Bacon
    Siobhan Baillie
    Greg Clark
    Sir Geoffrey Cox
    Tracey Crouch
    David Davis
    Dame Caroline Dinenage
    Nadine Dorries
    Sir James Duddridge
    Sir Iain Duncan Smith
    Philip Dunne
    Nigel Evans
    Mark Fletcher
    Vicky Ford
    Paul Holmes
    Alister Jack
    Boris Johnson
    Gillian Keegan
    Kwasi Kwarteng
    Dame Eleanor Laing
    Robert Largan
    Pauline Latham
    Chris Loder
    Mark Logan
    Theresa May
    Wendy Morton
    Priti Patel
    Mark Pawsey
    Angela Richardson
    Andrew Rosindell
    Bob Seely
    Alok Sharma
    Chris Skidmore
    Henry Smith
    Mark Spencer
    Elizabeth Truss
    Ben Wallace
    Sir John Whittingdale
    William Wragg
    Sir Jeremy Wright

Debbie Abrahams
    Fleur Anderson
    Tonia Antoniazzi
    Apsana Begum
    Kevin Brennan
    Ian Byrne
    Rosie Cooper
    Dame Angela Eagle
    Mary Kelly Foy
    Dame Diana Johnson
    Darren Jones
    Liz Kendall
    Clive Lewis
    Tony Lloyd
    Andy McDonald
    Conor McGinn
    Jim McMahon
    Ian Mearns
    Abena Oppong-Asare
    Angela Rayner
    Rachel Reeves
    Naz Shah
    Karin Smyth
    Alex Sobel
    Graham Stringer
    Karl Turner
    Liz Twist
    Dame Rosie Winterton

Tory cowards - if you have no opinion or don’t care, be honest and say so

If not, either vote FOR or vote AGAINST
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    Anyway, off to bed. Half-expecting to wake up in the morning to find that Truss has fallen and been replaced by the Daily Star lettuce. Needless to say this would be a considerable improvement.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Worth remembering the woman responsible for all this was appointed to govt jobs by 3x Prime Ministers for 10 years, and yet was actually THIS SHIT AT EVERYTHING.

I did warn you the maths GCSE showed she was completely incompetent. As did @Stuartinromford .
  • Options

Trussterfuck?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Clusterfrack?
  • Options

Clusterfrack, duh.

Battlestar Galatica fans have been waiting for this day.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Hang on.
    It has been a most confusing vote victory.

Apparently it was declared not a confidence vote shortly before it, but even though most MPs gibber away on whatsapp most of the day many might not have picked up the news.
    My (long distance) sense of smell is telling me, that PM, Deputy Dog and rest of coterie deliberately misled their Friends (honourable or not) on exact status of vote. Including by NOT cluing in the Chief Whip and HER Dep.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Not sure that's fair.

Being PM is a whole different ballgame to running a department.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Alistair said:

We should form a support group.

But there is a bit of a Where's Wally narrative developing about him. Was he actually in the House yesterday/today?
    We just don't know what Sunak is up to.

He's been very quiet but there hasn't been much noise about him either.

He might be quietly gathering votes or just waiting for it to fall into his lap.

That may be foolhardy or a very clever play.

We just don't know.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,805

Nigel Adams
    Stuart Andrew
    Gareth Bacon
    Siobhan Baillie
    Greg Clark
    Sir Geoffrey Cox
    Tracey Crouch
    David Davis
    Dame Caroline Dinenage
    Nadine Dorries
    Sir James Duddridge
    Sir Iain Duncan Smith
    Philip Dunne
    Nigel Evans
    Mark Fletcher
    Vicky Ford
    Paul Holmes
    Alister Jack
    Boris Johnson
    Gillian Keegan
    Kwasi Kwarteng
    Dame Eleanor Laing
    Robert Largan
    Pauline Latham
    Chris Loder
    Mark Logan
    Theresa May
    Wendy Morton
    Priti Patel
    Mark Pawsey
    Angela Richardson
    Andrew Rosindell
    Bob Seely
    Alok Sharma
    Chris Skidmore
    Henry Smith
    Mark Spencer
    Elizabeth Truss
    Ben Wallace
    Sir John Whittingdale
    William Wragg
    Sir Jeremy Wright

Debbie Abrahams
    Fleur Anderson
    Tonia Antoniazzi
    Apsana Begum
    Kevin Brennan
    Ian Byrne
    Rosie Cooper
    Dame Angela Eagle
    Mary Kelly Foy
    Dame Diana Johnson
    Darren Jones
    Liz Kendall
    Clive Lewis
    Tony Lloyd
    Andy McDonald
    Conor McGinn
    Jim McMahon
    Ian Mearns
    Abena Oppong-Asare
    Angela Rayner
    Rachel Reeves
    Naz Shah
    Karin Smyth
    Alex Sobel
    Graham Stringer
    Karl Turner
    Liz Twist
    Dame Rosie Winterton

Any other day, a party voting against its own manifesto commitment would be the lead story.
  • Options

Nigel Adams
    Stuart Andrew
    Gareth Bacon
    Siobhan Baillie
    Greg Clark
    Sir Geoffrey Cox
    Tracey Crouch
    David Davis
    Dame Caroline Dinenage
    Nadine Dorries
    Sir James Duddridge
    Sir Iain Duncan Smith
    Philip Dunne
    Nigel Evans
    Mark Fletcher
    Vicky Ford
    Paul Holmes
    Alister Jack
    Boris Johnson
    Gillian Keegan
    Kwasi Kwarteng
    Dame Eleanor Laing
    Robert Largan
    Pauline Latham
    Chris Loder
    Mark Logan
    Theresa May
    Wendy Morton
    Priti Patel
    Mark Pawsey
    Angela Richardson
    Andrew Rosindell
    Bob Seely
    Alok Sharma
    Chris Skidmore
    Henry Smith
    Mark Spencer
    Elizabeth Truss
    Ben Wallace
    Sir John Whittingdale
    William Wragg
    Sir Jeremy Wright

Debbie Abrahams
    Fleur Anderson
    Tonia Antoniazzi
    Apsana Begum
    Kevin Brennan
    Ian Byrne
    Rosie Cooper
    Dame Angela Eagle
    Mary Kelly Foy
    Dame Diana Johnson
    Darren Jones
    Liz Kendall
    Clive Lewis
    Tony Lloyd
    Andy McDonald
    Conor McGinn
    Jim McMahon
    Ian Mearns
    Abena Oppong-Asare
    Angela Rayner
    Rachel Reeves
    Naz Shah
    Karin Smyth
    Alex Sobel
    Graham Stringer
    Karl Turner
    Liz Twist
    Dame Rosie Winterton

Tory cowards - if you have no opinion or don’t care, be honest and say so

If not, either vote FOR or vote AGAINST
    On reason for voting against the motion, IF you'd been told by whips it was a VOC, would be to preserve your ability to send letter to 22 and also participate in subsequent "leadership" votes?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,137
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

The tory party is leftist these days. HYUFD isnt decent he is a robber baron. I am fairly far right and his politics sicken me as he has no empathy its all about what benefits him and people like him.
    The fact I don't agree with your far right libertarianism does not mean I have no empathy
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

I’m going to stick my neck out here: Gove by Friday. Discuss

https://twitter.com/Aiannucci/status/1582834626803814400

Here today, Gove tomorrow sort of situation.

I think she goes by Friday latest.
  • Options
    DearPBDearPB Posts: 439

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    2h
    Please
    @trussliz

Starmer has no majority.
    Andrew's a very dear friend of mine!
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Bit like this tho, innit

From a relative who runs a company employing a fair number of low skilled staff - the problem is that they have been treated like shit as standard. Replaceable shit.

He finds that they are so hardened by this that they find being treated decently unnerving. Wages paid correctly and on time. Tax paperwork done quickly and correctly. Proper equipment. Proper safety gear - and instructions to stop work if there is a safety issue…. They find it almost wrong…

EDIT: so if they have an opportunity to skive, they will. Because if you treat people like shit, they owe you no loyalty or dependability.

Pagan2 said:

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Bit like this tho, innit

I don't doubt it, and not saying my experience is universal by anymeans its definitely anecdata, on my second company now since wfh became major. Comments are all the same. We aren't being interrupted by middle managers and pointless meetings where everyone gets halted for a few hours and tell them what we achieved and allowed to get on with actually working and getting twice as much done
  • Options
    I keep thinking about this Matthew Parris column from August 20. https://twitter.com/fleetstreetfox/status/1582839799777370113/photo/1
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,917

kle4 said:

Bring back May.

Might well be what happens.
    Can't see it - would they really want the next GE campaign to be fronted by the leader who nearly managed to lose to Corbyn in 2017?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

The fact I don't agree with your far right libertarianism does not mean I have no empathy
    Well I suspect I like most people will believe you have empathy when you actually show any. I have been on pb several years. Still waiting...maybe when you try to show empathy you can prewarn me so I don't miss it?
  • Options
    Grant Shapps has a great office, his odds of becoming PM just went up.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

And a robber button is..?
    robber button?....hand you a pair of reading glasses
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Grant Shapps has a great office, his odds of becoming PM just went up.

No10 have invited Steve Baker to say that the Prime Minister would like to sack Grant Shapps in the new year. Clown show. https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1582836007405113344
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

I keep thinking about this Matthew Parris column from August 20. https://twitter.com/fleetstreetfox/status/1582839799777370113/photo/1

That in retrospect is masterly.

FTAOD I thought at the time it was masterly, but about 30% overstated. Wrong about overstatement.
  • Options
    I've just got back from dinner. Have I missed much since Suellexit?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,220
    DearPB said:

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    2h
    Please
    @trussliz

Starmer has no majority.
    He was good on Covid TBF
  • Options

They completely fracked it up tonight.
  • Options

you put your Chief Whip in,
    Your Chief Whip out,
    You do the hokey cokey an yah shake it all about
  • Options
    DearPB said:

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    2h
    Please
    @trussliz

Starmer has no majority.
    Then please put him straight!!
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,014
    edited October 2022

Apart from the Whips’ hokey cokey?
    Edit: @Ishmael_Z Beat me to it!
  • Options

Some great Rugby League....

Otherwise, very quiet.
  • Options

So far ahead of you it's fucking embarrassing.
  • Options
    Unable to run it tactically. Unable to run it strategically.
    Says Nick Watt.
    He isn't wrong.
  • Options

Otherwise, very quiet.
    @leon is drunk on a train somewhere in the Rockies with a film crew.

What could possibly go wrong?

• Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,014
    Ishmael_Z said:

So far ahead of you it's fucking embarrassing.
    Sorry. I was topping up my popcorn dish.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    "Spiral" seems too indirect a description.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,137
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Well I suspect I like most people will believe you have empathy when you actually show any. I have been on pb several years. Still waiting...maybe when you try to show empathy you can prewarn me so I don't miss it?
    Empathy does not mean having to follow your ideological agenda
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Bit like this tho, innit

Pagan2 said:

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Bit like this tho, innit

I don't doubt it, and not saying my experience is universal by anymeans its definitely anecdata, on my second company now since wfh became major. Comments are all the same. We aren't being interrupted by middle managers and pointless meetings where everyone gets halted for a few hours and tell them what we achieved and allowed to get on with actually working and getting twice as much done
    Call a weekly all afternoon meeting to explore why we aren't having enough face-to-face contact with young people?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,805

Scott_xP said:
    Spiral rather implies a slow descent. Doesn't do the Trussterfuck justice...
  • Options

• Options
    Mr Mitchell, tonight you chose Fracking over the people of Sutton Coldfield, and the manifesto commitment you stood on in 2019.

Why should anyone trust you at the next general election?

@AndrewmitchMP #ToryShambles

https://twitter.com/SCLabour/status/1582802630228684801/photo/1

• Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,505
    Ok, I’ve been out this evening, what have I missed?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:
    Spiral rather implies a slow descent. Doesn't do the Trussterfuck justice...
    Straight to the scene of the accident, as Martin Brundle might say.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,926
    edited October 2022

Nothing substantive has happened, really. Just a bit more chaos.

We still have no mechanism for the Tories to change leader.

We still have no route to a General Election. Truss would still win a VONC I reckon.

The only way this could change is if there is a complete dysfunction of government during a geopolitical crisis and the King steps in. I can only see that happening if something mad happens like a nuke in Black Sea.
  • Options
    Oh, fuck, he's back

🔥 👀 A call to arms… https://twitter.com/gbnews/status/1582839405617692672
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,637
    edited October 2022

Otherwise, very quiet.
    @leon is drunk on a train somewhere in the Rockies with a film crew.

What could possibly go wrong?

From "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail" by Hunter S. Thompson (1972)

"This incident has haunted me ever since it smacked me in the eyes one peaceful Sunday morning a
    few weeks ago as I sat on the balmy screened porch of the National Affairs Suite here in the Royal
    Biscayne Hotel. I was slicing up grapefruit and sipping a pot of coffee while perusing the political
    page of the Herald when I suddenly saw my name in the middle of a story on Ed Muskie's
    "Sunshine Special" campaign train from Jacksonville to Miami.

Several quick phone calls confirmed that something ugly had happened on that train, and that I
    was being blamed for it. A New York reporter assigned to the Muskie camp warned me to "stay
    clear of this place . . . they're really hot about it. They've pulled your pass for good."

"Wonderful," I said. "That's one more bummer that I have an excuse to avoid: But what happened?
    Why do they blame me?"

"Jesus Christ!" he said. "That crazy sonofabitch got on the train wearing your press badge and
    went completely crazy. He drank about ten martinis before the train even got moving, then he
    started abusing people. He cornered some poor bastard from one of the Washington papers and
    called him a Greasy Faggot and a Communist Buttfucker . . . then he started pushing him around
    and saying he was going to throw him off the train at the next bridge . . . we couldn't believe it was
    happening. He scared one of the network TV guys so bad that he locked himself in a water-closet
    for the rest of the trip."

"Jesus, I hate to hear this," I said. "But nobody really thought it was me, did they?"

"Hell, yes, they did," he replied. "The only people on the train who even know what you look like
    were me and -----." (He mentioned several reporters whose names need not be listed here.) "But
    everybody else just looked at that ID badge he was wearing and pretty soon the word was all the
    way back to Muskie's car that some thug named Thompson from a thing called Rolling Stone was
    tearing the train apart. They were going to send Rosey Grier up to deal with you, but Dick Stewart
    [Muskie's press secretary] said it wouldn't look good to have a three hundred pound bodyguard
    beating up journalists on the campaign train."

"That's typical Muskie staff-thinking." I said. "They've done everything else wrong; why balk at
    stomping a reporter?"

He laughed. "Actually," he said. "the rumor was that you'd eaten a lot of LSD and gone wild -- that
    you couldn't control yourself."

"What do you mean me?" I said. "I wasn't even on that goddamn train ..."
  • Options

Hang on, so I missed the PM not voting in her own three-line whip?

Yep. She was apparently so busy tucking on the arm of the chief whip begging her not to resign that she got dragged down the corridor and missed passing into the division.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,691

Ok, I’ve been out this evening, what have I missed?

The last bus home?
  • Options
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DearPB said:

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    2h
    Please
    @trussliz

Starmer has no majority.
    He was good on Covid TBF
    Andrew "No Second Wave" Lillco? Are we talking about the same guy?
  • Options
    "How we laughed when Labour elected Jeremy Corbyn.
    Well, we got that returned with interest."
    Charles Walker.
  • Options

Yes, but it wasn't a confidence vote, so she's OK...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,777
    Shall we have a sweep on how many cabinet resignations tomorrow?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,805
    One good thing has come out of this. No one need ever have the Imposter syndrome again.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    The good news is that the price of gas fell sharply again today. If only we had a government.......
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Oh, fuck, he's back

🔥 👀 A call to arms… https://twitter.com/gbnews/status/1582839405617692672

Should knock a few more seats off the Tory tally. Not that they have any left on current polling.

But more seriously it is a time of great danger when the existing established parties are seen to be failing so badly as is case with Tories. Opens the door to extremist solutions and anti-democracy ideas.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Yes, but it wasn't a confidence vote, so she's OK...
    Phew, I was getting a bit dizzy there
This discussion has been closed.