Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

And so Day 44 of Truss’s premiership continues – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,437
    Cicero said:

What do the punters here think the chances are of an election within the next 3-6 months.

The only thing Tory MPs can currently agree on is the necessity to avoid a general election.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,190
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

I’m an employment lawyer. If everyone who dropped the c-bomb on someone after putting the phone down was fired then I can assure you there would be roughly three people left in employment in the United Kingdom. One of them would be Jacob Rees-Mogg. TBF he would have been on the other end of many of the calls.

If its on tape and heard then they are liable to be fired.
    If its not on tape not so much.
    Because customers can request the recording, reputational risk is at
    stake
    Nah

Yeah
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

I thought that Hunt would bring a period of calm, but the government is still completely wracked with crisis. Is there any person who can bring any stability to this situation as PM?

Feels a bit like it's too far gone for that now. There's too much division and bad feeling. There needs to be an election.

No, there shouldn’t be an election until at least late 2024. It is in the long term interest of the country and it’s people that the Tories utterly destroy themselves to the extent the party no longer exists. The traditional one nation Conservatives can form a new party or join the Lib Dems. The HYUFD, Braverman, Francois wing can join Farage in a British Union Of Trumpists and see themselves politically annihilated by ordinary decent people.
    The party will always exist, certainly under FPTP.

About a third of the UK population are also ideologically right of centre despite your sanctimonious, patronising high horse comment that that automatically makes them not decent people
    You have not the first bloody idea how terminal this is, mate. I am an inherited land, inherited money, fox-hunting drunk. You have lost me, you have lost a good 50% of the people I know, and certainly in my case this is well beyond any "until normal service is resumed" sort of clause. It is over. for your lifetime.
    No, you are an uncouth oik about as Tory as John Prescott.

Even if as likely Labour wins the next general election if the economy fails to recover the pendulum will swiftly swing back

Your name calling is idiotic but maybe a sign of sheer panic that your little Englander ERG loving time is nearing an end
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,202
    UPDATE Liz Truss is now in the Whips' Office in the House of Commons, a MP tells me.
    It is unclear if the PM has now received the resignation letters of her Chief Whip and Deputy Chief Whip.
    More at our live blog: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/10/19/liz-truss-news-jeremy-hunt-resign-election-pmqs-live/
    #LizTrussPM
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,941
    Ishmael_Z said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

I thought that Hunt would bring a period of calm, but the government is still completely wracked with crisis. Is there any person who can bring any stability to this situation as PM?

Feels a bit like it's too far gone for that now. There's too much division and bad feeling. There needs to be an election.

No, there shouldn’t be an election until at least late 2024. It is in the long term interest of the country and it’s people that the Tories utterly destroy themselves to the extent the party no longer exists. The traditional one nation Conservatives can form a new party or join the Lib Dems. The HYUFD, Braverman, Francois wing can join Farage in a British Union Of Trumpists and see themselves politically annihilated by ordinary decent people.

About a third of the UK population are also ideologically right of centre despite your sanctimonious, patronising high horse comment that that automatically makes them not decent people
    You have not the first bloody idea how terminal this is, mate. I am an inherited land, inherited money, fox-hunting drunk. You have lost me, you have lost a good 50% of the people I know, and certainly in my case this is well beyond any "until normal service is resumed" sort of clause. It is over. for your lifetime.

Even if as likely Labour wins the next general election if the economy fails to recover the pendulum will swiftly swing back

How do you know Ishmael didn't go to somewhere posh like Eton?

IIRC he went to Oxford anyway which should certainly qualify him in your eyes.
    I went to an older and more distinguished school than Eton.
    Quite right too.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,895
    I'm sure we've picked up the latest Com Res poll which has Labour 30 points ahead:

Changes from 2019:

Labour: 52% (+20)
    Conservative: 22% (-21)
    Liberal Democrat: 11% (-1)
    SNP: 4%
    Green: 2% (-1)

So that's a 20.5% swing from Conservative to Labour and through Baxter (allowing for the 60% willingness to vote tactically indicated in the R&W "Blue Wall" survey), the Conservatives end up with 7 seats on the current boundaries and 8 seats on next year's proposed boundaries.

On the current boundaries, they would hold three seats in Lincolnshire, three in Essex and Staffordshire South,
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,340
    kle4 said:

King Charles: Now I will be PM

Not as mad be as it might first seem.

Don't forget when Peter Wright was planning to take down the Wilson Government, Charles's uncle, Lord Louis Mountbatten was pencilled in as titular PM.

Where are our right wing coup plotters when they are needed these days?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402
    kle4 said:

If the Boris/Truss gang are right that this really is just because Sunak orchestrated things because he lost, then frankly he's so capable he deserves the gig.

He may have overdone it though.

Yep, if you want to take over the house it’s probably not a great idea to repeatedly nuke it first.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,436
    Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    3m
    UPDATE Liz Truss is now in the Whips' Office in the House of Commons, a MP tells me.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited October 2022

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Ch4 News. We are facing disaster which is now unavoidable. It is self inflicted and caused by Brexit. So says Nouriel Roubini.

Utterly ridiculous. The entire world is facing disaster and it’s fuck all to do with Brexit
    Bit like this tho, innit

Literally - the world has moved on, and the problems the UK is facing are due to the world economy, Covid, and the Ukraine situation. The Brexit thing is minuscule in comparison.

I sometimes yearn for a nuclear war just to see how people manage to blame it on Brexit.

I'm sure people will still be arguing we'd have better access to nutritious rats and preferential access to the EU's tinned bean mountain if only we were still part of the common market.

Is covid much of a factor now? It seems to have become a background issue compared to the price shock and the rank incompetence of the government

Covid is still being felt in supply chains, especially with China's zero covid policy

I am also waiting for enough data to prove my theory that the WFH revolution is massively beneficial to the skilled, educated class who can be trusted to work from home efficiently and effectively, but massively detrimental to the wider economy because most people are neither skilled, nor able to be trusted to work from home effectively. My thesis is that the WFH boom massively benefits the managerial class who are inherently hard working and dedicated, but leads to far lower productivity amongst lower skilled workers who need more direct management.
    I am not even sure its true for those people. They often rely on their team to provide support, data, reports, etc. If all that is taking longer to complete it can only negatively effect their productivity.

I was talking to some academics at a leading UK university the other day (a category you would think should be self-motivate and not be too negatively affected by moving more to WFH) and they were bemoaning just how the systems and processes have broken down such that they are wasting loads of extra time trying to chase up stuff that should be done, that admin staff are spending 4 out of 5 days WFH so things like printers and stationary aren't getting sorted.
    OK, here’s a theory. WFH makes everyone more productive as they can focus on what they’re meant to do… except there’s lots of boring crap that someone has to do, and that stuff got done because people were around, but WFHers can avoid those jobs and it doesn’t get done.
    Jobs like sorting out @Leon’s tax affairs.
    I think that would be an interesting and challenging task....trying to work out how to right off against tax all those boozy trips around the world under the guise of research for their latest flint dildo collection.... and also finding out how much things like ladies of the night charge in different countries!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,413

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Ch4 News. We are facing disaster which is now unavoidable. It is self inflicted and caused by Brexit. So says Nouriel Roubini.

Utterly ridiculous. The entire world is facing disaster and it’s fuck all to do with Brexit
    Bit like this tho, innit

Literally - the world has moved on, and the problems the UK is facing are due to the world economy, Covid, and the Ukraine situation. The Brexit thing is minuscule in comparison.

I sometimes yearn for a nuclear war just to see how people manage to blame it on Brexit.

I'm sure people will still be arguing we'd have better access to nutritious rats and preferential access to the EU's tinned bean mountain if only we were still part of the common market.

Is covid much of a factor now? It seems to have become a background issue compared to the price shock and the rank incompetence of the government

Covid is still being felt in supply chains, especially with China's zero covid policy

I am also waiting for enough data to prove my theory that the WFH revolution is massively beneficial to the skilled, educated class who can be trusted to work from home efficiently and effectively, but massively detrimental to the wider economy because most people are neither skilled, nor able to be trusted to work from home effectively. My thesis is that the WFH boom massively benefits the managerial class who are inherently hard working and dedicated, but leads to far lower productivity amongst lower skilled workers who need more direct management.
    I am not even sure its true for those people. They often rely on their team to provide support, data, reports, etc. If all that is taking longer to complete it can only negatively effect their productivity.

I was talking to some academics at a leading UK university the other day (a category you would think should be self-motivate and not be too negatively affected by moving more to WFH) and they were bemoaning just how the systems and processes have broken down such that they are wasting loads of extra time trying to chase up stuff that should be done, that admin staff are spending 4 out of 5 days WFH so things like printers and stationary aren't getting sorted.
    OK, here’s a theory. WFH makes everyone more productive as they can focus on what they’re meant to do… except there’s lots of boring crap that someone has to do, and that stuff got done because people were around, but WFHers can avoid those jobs and it doesn’t get done.
    Jobs like sorting out @Leon’s tax affairs.
    I think that would be an interesting and challenging task....trying to work out how to right off against tax all those boozy trips around the world under the guise of research for their latest flint dildo collection....
    It would be a really hard one.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

About a quarter to a third of the UK population are also ideologically right of centre despite your sanctimonious, patronising high horse comment that that automatically makes them not decent people
    I agree that a quarter to a third of the UK population are also ideologically right of centre and that most are decent people. It’s the extreme 5% that have taken over your party that are damaging the country. I also believe that you are a decent person, but why do you continue to defend the indefensible?
    I didn't vote for Truss but even now the Tories are still getting about 20 to 25% of the vote, that is rather more than an ultra extreme mere 5% of the population
    You supported Truss' policies and you now support policies which are the complete opposite.

You are no one, you hold no political views, you are loyal to nothing, you have no political beliefs. Nothing.

But you are great on opinion polls.
  • Options
    stodge said:

I'm sure we've picked up the latest Com Res poll which has Labour 30 points ahead:

Changes from 2019:

So that's a 20.5% swing from Conservative to Labour and through Baxter (allowing for the 60% willingness to vote tactically indicated in the R&W "Blue Wall" survey), the Conservatives end up with 7 seats on the current boundaries and 8 seats on next year's proposed boundaries.

On the current boundaries, they would hold three seats in Lincolnshire, three in Essex and Staffordshire South,

Come on Agent Liz, you can push down those seats numbers a little bit more.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

If the Boris/Truss gang are right that this really is just because Sunak orchestrated things because he lost, then frankly he's so capable he deserves the gig.

Yep, if you want to take over the house it’s probably not a great idea to repeatedly nuke it first.
    Sunak orchestrated the 3 line whip? On something that appears to go against their own manifesto?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_PX1cVuaVA
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,330
    Stuff politics. Cook Islands join the pantheon of heroes by beating Wales in the World Cup. #legends #notsamoathistime
  • Options

Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    3m

Being sacked by the Chief Whip?
  • Options

Stuff politics. Cook Islands join the pantheon of heroes by beating Wales in the World Cup. #legends #notsamoathistime

I didn't realise either of them were playing in the World Cup! I thought it was Scotland and UAE.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,018

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Truss stays until the Tory party can agree on a successor for a coronation or there's a full blown leadership contest.

It's possible the MPs then largely (e.g. 75%+) back one candidate and put supreme pressure on the runner up to withdraw to skip the members round.

Think Theresa May/Andrea Leadsom in 2016.

I’d cash out of your exit date bet, if I were you?
    I would have thought the Braverman resignation, especially if due partially to Immigration policy, would make it almost impossible for a Tory coronation.
    If the threshold is 150 MPs to be nominated a coronation still very possible
    Why not make the threshold 357 MPs so that there is no doubt?
    They'd never reach it.
    Because Truss would get distracted and would forget to vote.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,589
    edited October 2022
    Ishmael_Z said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Not Roundhay Comprehensive, surely?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I didn't realise either of them were playing in the World Cup! I thought it was Scotland and UAE.
    It’s a year of many world cups.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054

Cicero said:

What do the punters here think the chances are of an election within the next 3-6 months.

The only thing Tory MPs can currently agree on is the necessity to avoid a general election.
    Truest post yet tonight.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    stodge said:

Changes from 2019:

16 on new boundaries

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&CON=22&LAB=52&LIB=11&Reform=2&Green=3&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVReform=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=14.2&SCOTLAB=30.5&SCOTLIB=6.5&SCOTReform=0&SCOTGreen=0.8&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=45&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019base
  • Options

ydoethur said:

and chancellors....
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,993
    HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Haha! Ishmael has an educational pedigree, regardless of anything else, which, if he were a Tory MP would have you tipping your forelock and begging him to use your bottom as his crumpet rack on morning toasting duty before chapel.

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Cicero said:

I wonder. The new intake must have seen the writing on the wall for some time and been making plans. The brand is getting so toxic that it is probably worth taking the hit of 2 years salary so as to have Tory MP 2019-22 on your CV vs Tory MP 2019-25.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 725

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

Truss stays until the Tory party can agree on a successor for a coronation or there's a full blown leadership contest.

It's possible the MPs then largely (e.g. 75%+) back one candidate and put supreme pressure on the runner up to withdraw to skip the members round.

I agree. The Tories are paralysed. They daren't risk a leadership contest until they can be certain the barking-mad membership can be by-passed. I don't see an easy path to achieving that.
    The 'barking mad' Tory membership now backs Sunak over Truss 64% to 36%
    https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1582665358489669636?s=20&t=AISbZZ2GlkFDylf84Ec2Sw
    It's immaterial. Quite how waiting for the Conservative Party to fuck about for the rest of the year whilst it whittles down a list of candidates to two and then sends them off to the members for a lengthy series of debates is in any slight degree in the national interest is quite beyond me. And there's still no guarantee that they won't be seduced by another nut.

To paraphrase, this Government has been sat too long here for any good they have been doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with them. In the name of God, go!
    Tough, we Tories got 3 years of Gordon Brown imposed on us despite him never winning a general election and you will wait your turn until the next election too!
    In order to drag this ludicrous pantomime out until January 2025, your MPs have first to pass a budget, and then either to rally behind Truss or manage to pick a viable successor without the entire Party imploding in an orgy of internecine warfare and eye gouging. Neither of these things is a given.
    They have a majority of 80, they certainly can
    HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

I agree. The Tories are paralysed. They daren't risk a leadership contest until they can be certain the barking-mad membership can be by-passed. I don't see an easy path to achieving that.
    The 'barking mad' Tory membership now backs Sunak over Truss 64% to 36%
    https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1582665358489669636?s=20&t=AISbZZ2GlkFDylf84Ec2Sw
    It's immaterial. Quite how waiting for the Conservative Party to fuck about for the rest of the year whilst it whittles down a list of candidates to two and then sends them off to the members for a lengthy series of debates is in any slight degree in the national interest is quite beyond me. And there's still no guarantee that they won't be seduced by another nut.

To paraphrase, this Government has been sat too long here for any good they have been doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with them. In the name of God, go!
    Tough, we Tories got 3 years of Gordon Brown imposed on us despite him never winning a general election and you will wait your turn until the next election too!
    In order to drag this ludicrous pantomime out until January 2025, your MPs have first to pass a budget, and then either to rally behind Truss or manage to pick a viable successor without the entire Party imploding in an orgy of internecine warfare and eye gouging. Neither of these things is a given.
    They have a majority of 80, they certainly can
    Majority is now 72 following byelection defeats plus a defection.
    You are Justin, formerly of this parish, are you not?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

About a quarter to a third of the UK population are also ideologically right of centre despite your sanctimonious, patronising high horse comment that that automatically makes them not decent people
    I agree that a quarter to a third of the UK population are also ideologically right of centre and that most are decent people. It’s the extreme 5% that have taken over your party that are damaging the country. I also believe that you are a decent person, but why do you continue to defend the indefensible?
    I didn't vote for Truss but even now the Tories are still getting about 20 to 25% of the vote, that is rather more than an ultra extreme mere 5% of the population
    There’s a difference between Tory voters and Tory members. Your party has been taken over by extremists like the Liverpool Labour party in the 1980s.
  • Options

Jessica Elgot
    @jessicaelgot
    ·
    27m
    Tory MP says they believe letters of no confidence will be “at least three figures” tomorrow. When does it become unsustainable?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,829

Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    3m

Is she being disciplined ?
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

DAY 44 - UK HELD HOSTAGE

Funny, but true!
  • Options
    boulay said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Haha! Ishmael has an educational pedigree, regardless of anything else, which, if he were a Tory MP would have you tipping your forelock and begging him to use your bottom as his crumpet rack on morning toasting duty before chapel.

You can be my trapcad any time.
  • Options

Jessica Elgot
    @jessicaelgot
    ·
    27m
    Tory MP says they believe letters of no confidence will be “at least three figures” tomorrow. When does it become unsustainable?

It already is. The question is when it actually ends.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You supported Truss' policies and you now support policies which are the complete opposite.

You are no one, you hold no political views, you are loyal to nothing, you have no political beliefs. Nothing.

No I didn't, I never supported the 45p cut in the top income tax rate nor her former republicanism nor her cutting free travel for veterans to Remembrance Sunday.
  • Options
    🚨🚨🚨Neither Wendy Morton nor Craig Whittaker are resigning.

Steve Baker tells me he has seen the deputy chief whip tonight, who reassured him neither are quitting tonight.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/20143730/liz-truss-news-latest-interview-resign/
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505
    As a break from politics, denizens of this board might be interested to know that, to, apparently, the general indifference of all, the Cook Islands have just beaten Wales in the Rugby League World Cup.
    This doesn't appear to be the surprise you might expect: Cook Islands appears to be essentially a team of Australians who were expected to win.
    The match managed to almost half fill Leigh Sports Village.
    Best thing about the coverage was the Wales coach - who was straight out if central casting as rugby league coach - coming out with the memorable phrase "your mind's in a washing machine".
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No I didn't, I never supported the 45p cut in the top income tax rate nor her former republicanism nor her cutting free travel for veterans to Remembrance Sunday.
    Veterans got free time travel? Huge if true.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,678
    edited October 2022
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

If anyone wanted to predict this shambles they should have read Alan Duncan's book. He said everything Johnson touched would turn to shit and he would be a complete disaster as PM and take the party down with him

Well Duncan was wrong in that as Johnson won the biggest Tory landslide since Thatcher after May left a hung parliament, got Brexit completed and oversaw the
    roll out of the vaccines.

Only since Boris was removed has the party descended into the current chaos and huge Labour lead
    Labour were getting leads of over 10% when Boris was PM.

Yes, it has gotten much worse because Truss has collapsed things, but the Tories were quite a way behind already, and it has gone into overdrive only in the last 2 weeks.

As good a job as Boris did in 2019, you simply cannot pretend that he was as popular in 2022 as he was in 2019. Times have moved on. He was behind.

The question was whether he could recover from that position. MPs felt the answer was no.

MPs have been wrong before, they were wrong about Truss deserving of being in the final two for a start, but let's also not forget that the Tories you like the most, such as JRM, were vocal Truss backers, and Boris wanted her to win over Rishi as well.
    The last Opinium poll before Boris resigned had Labour just 5% ahead, they are now 21% ahead

Just stop this idiotic denial of toxic Johnson who has led us to today and I hope you and your fellow ERG travellers are marginalised as those of is who are one nation conservatives fight for a decent compassionate honest and responsible party
    Johnson was leading a One Nation government with a huge majority he won until the likes of you demanded he had to go because he ate a birthday cake and had an afterwork drink. It was then you who handed the party over to the libertarians
    Keep repeating this crap doesn't make it true. Nobody complained about him eating birthday cake and an after work drink and you know it.
    Yes they did, the left and liberals like you did as you wanted any excuse to get him out as his winning the EU referendum and getting Brexit done and trouncing you at the 2019 general election was unforgiveable in your eyes
    Firstly, unlike you I don't bear grudges or have vendettas so no. Please don't impose your own mental flaws upon me. I wanted him out because of the endless lies, corruption and disruption and pushing the constitution to its limits. I did not give a toss that he had birthday cake or a glass of wine after work. Parties with case loads of drinks and discos yes, but only because of the hypocrisy.
    Of course you do, you have always hated Boris and wanted to knife him as soon as the opportunity arose. The birthday cake and after work drinks were just the excuse you needed.

Boris was never at any of the discos
    Deluded. As I told you earlier I actually quite liked Boris prior to him becoming PM and I don't lie so please retract. I have never criticised him for the birthday cake or drinking wine outside. If you look back at my posts you will see I defended the cake episode as an absurd item to get a fine, so again please retract your inaccurate post.

Please stop making stuff up about me.

PS I never suggested Boris was at a disco. The fact that it happened, amongst other stuff that he repeatedly lied about, was the issue, along with all the other stuff.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,277
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Changes from 2019:

16 on new boundaries

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&CON=22&LAB=52&LIB=11&Reform=2&Green=3&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVReform=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=14.2&SCOTLAB=30.5&SCOTLIB=6.5&SCOTReform=0&SCOTGreen=0.8&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=45&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019base
    Phew! Bet you guys thought you were in trouble there.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Your name calling is idiotic but maybe a sign of sheer panic that your little Englander ERG loving time is nearing an end
    If I was genuinely a Little Englander ERG I would have voted Leave and for Truss not Sunak
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Wouldn't aspire to that.

And not St Peter's York which astonishingly genuinely dates from AD 627.
  • Options
    🔥 Lord Frost, once prominent backer, calls for Liz Truss to go https://twitter.com/lara_spirit/status/1582830158800908288/photo/1
  • Options
    Cookie said:

As a break from politics, denizens of this board might be interested to know that, to, apparently, the general indifference of all, the Cook Islands have just beaten Wales in the Rugby League World Cup.
    This doesn't appear to be the surprise you might expect: Cook Islands appears to be essentially a team of Australians who were expected to win.
    Best thing about the coverage was the Wales coach - who was straight out if central casting as rugby league coach - coming out with the memorable phrase "your mind's in a washing machine".

We got rinsed.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Cookie said:

We might well see similar with rugby union, given their changes to international qualification rules, there are going to be loads of top class players with pacific island heritage who aren't going to be tied to NZ / Australia just because they represented a couple of times.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Veterans got free time travel? Huge if true.
    :lol:
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Wouldn't aspire to that.

And not St Peter's York which astonishingly genuinely dates from AD 627.
    King's Canterbury claims to be 30 years older than that.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    How long ago were people on here saying it was gross hyperbole to suggest Truss would be gone this year?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402

Did I not hear this morning that Wales have not won a game at the Rugby League WC since about 2001?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,895
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Changes from 2019:

16 on new boundaries

7 allowing for the willingness of 60% of Labour and LD voters to vote tactically in their particular constituency to unseat a sitting Conservative (as reported in the Redfield & Wilton "Blue Wall" survey)

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&tvcontrol=Y&CON=22&LAB=52&LIB=11&Reform=2&Green=3&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=60&TVLIB=60&TVReform=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=14.2&SCOTLAB=30.5&SCOTLIB=6.5&SCOTReform=0&SCOTGreen=0.8&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=45&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019base
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

And he read Classics.
    Certe, verbum sapienti satis est.
    Ecce homo qui est faba.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

And he read Classics.
    Ecce homo qui est faba.
    You bean at the sauce again?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Did I not hear this morning that Wales have not won a game at the Rugby League WC since about 2001?
    Probably true.

Nobody in Wales cares about Rugby League.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,277
    ydoethur said:

There’s a lot of them going on at the moment
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,672
    OK, enough evidence for me to bail out of laying the 2022 exit now.

Only a £7 loss as it happens, so not too bad.
  • Options
    Chronology of the madness:

* Graham Stuart told by No 10 to announce 3-line whip suspended

* Nobody told chief whip Wendy Morton, who quit on spot

* Deputy chief whip Craig Whittaker also gone, he's 'absolutely fucking furious'

* Truss barracked by own MPs in voting lobby

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1582808337170587648
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Probably true.

Not sure large parts of England do either.

The reality is that the money has got really good in union* over the past 10-15 years, so that's the game you want to play if the oval ball game is your thing.

* the way Worchester and Wasps have gone bust, too good by the looks of it.
  • Options
    I suppose she has for now unresigned.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,841
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

They *were* getting 20-25% in the polls, but that was at least two Tory disasters ago!
  • Options
    stodge said:

Changes from 2019:

Gavin Williamson for party leader! 😁
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

And he read Classics.
    Ecce homo qui est faba.
    LVII varietates.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505
    Scott_xP said:

🚨🚨🚨Neither Wendy Morton nor Craig Whittaker are resigning.

Steve Baker tells me he has seen the deputy chief whip tonight, who reassured him neither are quitting tonight.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/20143730/liz-truss-news-latest-interview-resign/

It's newsworthy now when ministers aren't resigning?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Have we heard from Douglas Ross yet?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

And he read Classics.
    Ecce homo qui est faba.
    LVII varietates.
    That numeral is only relevant with Heinz sight.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

ydoethur said:

and chancellors....
    WORLD CUP OF CHANCELLORS
  • Options

It's my lay of Rishi next PM which concerns me. Is he absent because he is just absent, or is he due to come back stronger than we could ever imagine?

Notable that he ain't the new Home Sec, anyway.
  • Options
    BREAKING Officers from the 1922 committee of Tory MPs are expecting to meet tomorrow to discuss the escalating leadership crisis in the Conservative party, I understand.
    Full details at our live blog: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/10/19/liz-truss-news-jeremy-hunt-resign-election-pmqs-live/
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I think he voted for fracking.
  • Options

stodge said:

Changes from 2019:

Gavin Williamson for party leader! 😁
    Surprised he didn't get the Home Office job !
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,307

ydoethur said:

Womens RU also taking place at the moment.
  • Options
    I don't understand this Conservative Party drama. Can't their parents just come and collect them? The party's over, they're tired and fractious, it's time to go home.

https://twitter.com/amy_hoggart/status/1582827337800093696
  • Options
    Charles Walker's interview is now a Labour Party attack ad
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,340
    edited October 2022
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Probably true.

I was waiting for my curry in Cowbridge a couple of weeks ago with Wales Rugby League legend (1 cap?) Brynmor Williams. When I lived in Whitchurch I used to get my Chinese from the same takeaway in Llandaff that Jiffy used. All those takeaways no wonder we're sh*t!
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,801
    The cabinet appointed by Truss was very poor. They didn't have the credibility and stature of the politicians from 2010-2019. This problem goes back to Boris Johnson and his expulsion of the centrist wing of the Consrvative party, and their replacement with acolytes. Braverman is an interesting example of this, she got in to the position where she is by debasing her status as a lawyer to serve the political whims of the government, as Attorney General; then 'rose' to Home Secretary where she freelanced on policy and briefed against the PM. (Quite funny to see Braverman continue to use the title KC, as if anyone would go to her for any sort of legal advice). With the master strategist Johnson out the way, they all collapsed in to total chaos within about 10 days.

The only redeeming factor is a) despite everything, we have been spared Jeremy Corbyn and b) perhaps we have now reached rock bottom, and there will be some sort of restoration of reasonably competent government.
  • Options
    Has she been at the booze, or something stronger ?

https://twitter.com/PA/status/1582825033743085570
    Deputy Prime Minister Therese Coffey (pictured) has said the Chief Whip Wendy Morton did a “great job”.

Speaking outside the Carlton Club in central London, where Cabinet members were meeting, she said: “It was a great victory today for the Chief Whip, great credit to her."<\i>
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Probably true.

Apart from Jonathon ‘Jiffy’ Davies.

Complete aside - was at Pembroke Castle on Saturday. A video history of the castle was narrated by Eddie Butler. Lovely to hear him again, but sad also.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,672
    Ishmael_Z said:

It's my lay of Rishi next PM which concerns me. Is he absent because he is just absent, or is he due to come back stronger than we could ever imagine?

I've now reversed my lay of Rishi. He's the obvious competent candidate for PM with a very good lead amongst MPs and even members now.

But, I have only a tiny profit on him.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,723
    Been out for the evening.

Catching up on the news.

What the fecking feck is going on?

Shambles. Total bloody shambles.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

BREAKING Officers from the 1922 committee of Tory MPs are expecting to meet tomorrow to discuss the escalating leadership crisis in the Conservative party, I understand.
    Full details at our live blog: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/10/19/liz-truss-news-jeremy-hunt-resign-election-pmqs-live/

Tomorrow?

They need to meet tonight FFS.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

And he read Classics.
    Ecce homo qui est faba.
    LVII varietates.
    I only read this site to ketchup with the latest wordplay.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Worth a punt for next Tory leader?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963
    Alistair said:

How long ago were people on here saying it was gross hyperbole to suggest Truss would be gone this year?

My bet at 8/1 on the day of the special fiscal operation is looking pretty good right now.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

And he read Classics.
    Ecce homo qui est faba.
    LVII varietates.
    Me too, mate o' mine.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

I've now reversed my lay of Rishi. He's the obvious competent candidate for PM with a very good lead amongst MPs and even members now.

But, I have only a tiny profit on him.
    Yeah I know what you mean. Only in for pennies tho so will tough it out.
  • Options
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,993
    Ishmael_Z said:

He’s gone full Superman II - stepped away from his powers for a normal life but when the world is troubled he’s going to come back and crush Liz Luthor and cronies.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

I think he voted for fracking.
    Or as Mrs F says, “that fracking idiot Douglas Ross”.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,016
    Scott_xP said:

I don't understand this Conservative Party drama. Can't their parents just come and collect them? The party's over, they're tired and fractious, it's time to go home.

https://twitter.com/amy_hoggart/status/1582827337800093696

At my Unit we withheld the McDonald's today which was promised for half-term, as a result of poor behaviour choices on Monday.
    Worth a try?
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Alistair said:

My bet at 8/1 on the day of the special fiscal operation is looking pretty good right now.
    35/1
    When Will Liz Truss Be Replaced As PM? (1st Instance Only)
    Liz Truss Specials
    22:00, 24 Jan
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

And he read Classics.
    Ecce homo qui est faba.
    LVII varietates.
    Me too, mate o' mine.
    This is getting as laboured as that Shelley sonnet.

The one about a statue lying in the sand, which spread for miles around.
  • Options

Been out for the evening.

Catching up on the news.

What the fecking feck is going on?

Shambles. Total bloody shambles.

Oh, we are way beyond that. Googolplex shambles.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147

The last few days have left me pondering how the press and PB Tories would be reacting if a Labour government were presiding over this kind of chaos. We would probably have had a coup by now.
    Whereas as a Labour supporter watching this carnage unfold my main feeling is a kind of gallows humour in the macabre spectacle of it all. I ought to be more angry about it I suppose - they really are trashing this country's reputation. But the last few years have left me feeling so numbed by the sheer awfulness of the people who rule us and their idiotic schemes that I just can't rouse myself to even fucking care anymore.

I know it’s not quite in the same league but it’s easy to forget how chaotic it got when plotters were trying to force Gordon Brown out.
  • Options

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    2h
    Please
    @trussliz
    . You aren't a bad person. You've served this country with honour for 8 years in senior positions. You must know this can't go on any longer now. For the sake of everyone, go to the King, resign, & recommend he send for Starmer.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

And he read Classics.
    Ecce homo qui est faba.
    LVII varietates.
    Me too, mate o' mine.
    This is getting as laboured as that Shelley sonnet.

The one about a statue lying in the sand, which spread for miles around.
    Are you saying there's not mushroom for two of us?
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,848
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Bit like this tho, innit

The managerial class hate wfh....it proves mostly they arent needed to be looking over staff shoulders all the time. The only people I have ever heard object to working from home are those that cant, people who own offices and middle managers who had the raison d'etre of supervising staff now working from home
This discussion has been closed.