Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punters make it a 64% chance that Truss won’t survive 2022 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

RR is pretty good.

Reeves needs to stop talking in soundbites and actually say something insightful. Is she a CoE in waiting or not?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856

TOPPING said:

Did Jezza (H) just announce a special economic advisory council made up of hedge fund principals and investment bankers?

Oooh, I should be in this council.
    I was just wondering that.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    Sounds like Labour really doesn’t want Hunt in the big chair
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    edited October 2022
    A military plane has crashed into an apartment building in Russia, in Krasnodar, opposite Mariupol.

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1582033738258534401
  • Options

Hunt has just thrown Kwarteng under the OBR bus.

Kwarteng threw himself under that particular bus
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    Wallace has drifted significantly - now 9.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,883
    The Tory mortgage premium . A good line from Reeves .
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,655

The National Grid CEO has warned British households to prepare for blackouts between 4pm and 7pm on “really, really cold” weekdays in January and February

https://www.ft.com/content/d31fbbd6-8325-43b7-94e4-29101cfe6045

We need to install more solar farms...
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,488
    dixiedean said:

Maybe the "very good reason" was that they know she isn't up to it.

I suspect journos will find out by the end of the day. I think your explanation is most plausible.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,001

Driver said:

AlistairM said:

Penny looks incredibly serious every time she explains why Truss isn't there. It doesn't look made up. One really hopes it is not something serious.

I'm not watching, so...

"every time"? How many opposition MPs have wasted their question by repeating a question someone else has asked?
    Blimey yes, that's got to be over 100 blinks per minute.
    That is Ben Swain level blinking. The cameramen are laughing.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    IanB2 said:

:Labour wants Truss to stay surely?
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Reeves is ten times better than Mordaunt was (and, to be honest, five times better than Starmer).
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    Rachel Reeves good. Could do with a bit more human but good nevertheless.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,955

A military plane has crashed into an apartment building in Russia, in Krasnodar, opposite Mariupol.

holy shit.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320
    edited October 2022
    Rachel Reeves does have a very irritating voice. But Hunt is sitting there wide eyed at the thumping she's given him on substance. Looks like a mouse.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,720

Some photo that one - complete with parachuting pilot too.
  • Options

Reeves is ten times better than Mordaunt was (and, to be honest, five times better than Starmer).

Better than Mordaunt maybe but holding a much stronger hand.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270

RR is pretty good.

Reeves needs to stop talking in soundbites and actually say something insightful. Is she a CoE in waiting or not?
    She's doing fine. Ladies Day at the HoC?
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,914

RR is pretty good.

Nah. There are so many soundbites from Mordaunt and Hunt Labour will struggle to get any time in.

The mortgage premium line was good though.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

Not really. Reeves has an open goal with the goalkeeper leaning against the post having a nap. Mordaunt had to defend the indefensible.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    Rachel Reeves is on form
  • Options
    Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

:Labour wants Truss to stay surely?
    Truss is to the Tories as Corbyn was to Labour
  • Options
    Truss can't defend the indefensible. Even Blair / Cameron at their best would struggle.

The only thing Truss can do is resign. She should, and I hope she does, for her sake and everyone else's.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

And slow down a bit
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

She looks OK :)
  • Options

TOPPING said:

She looks OK :)
    Good grief.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,902
    edited October 2022

A little too convenient. Are we sure this isn't fake?

Edit: Not fake, other reports available. Seems real...
  • Options

Truss can't defend the indefensible. Even Blair / Cameron at their best would struggle.

The only thing Truss can do is resign. She should, and I hope she does, for her sake and everyone else's.

It is quite extraordinary that she is continuing to put herself and her party through this.
  • Options
    Can a UTurn be zigzagging?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Which may well mean that they do

On Penny - its pretty clear now that PMQs wouldn't be a problem for her - so long as she isn't having to defend her own mistakes. That rumour of FS was an insult to her wasn't it?
  • Options

My first thought.
  • Options

No, there are multiple videos of it.
  • Options
    Truss's blinking really does look unnatural. It really looks like there's something wrong with her.
  • Options
    Is Truss falling asleep???
  • Options

Krasnodar is about 280 miles by car from Mariupol.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

They are pretty worried by that possibility. Though they are probably more worried of the possibility of a Mordaunt & Hunt partnership
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711
    Hunt doing well here.,
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054

(snip)

A spectacular picture. I doubt this is a shootdown. Everyone in the air force will be tired; from the pilots to the mechanics. Tired people make mistakes.

(This goes for both the Russians and the Ukrainians.)
  • Options
    LDLFLDLF Posts: 144
    edited October 2022
    TOPPING said:

Probably the ideal choice on Starmer's part for a plausible and reassuring Chancellor.
    To modify an earlier description of Thatcher: she has the lips of Marylin Monroe and the eyes of Vincent Schiavelli.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

IanB2 said:

They are pretty worried by that possibility. Though they are probably more worried of the possibility of a Mordaunt & Hunt partnership
    Which is surely where we are heading

The Tories may well look more credible in a few months than they do now (hardly difficult). Time to lay Labour most seats, as a trading bet?
  • Options

Truss's blinking really does look unnatural. It really looks like there's something wrong with her.

Yes, agreed. On a personal level I hope she getting any medical help she needs.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,365

Edit: Not fake, other reports available Seems real...
    Quite a few different photos at different times and from different angles on twitter, and a video. Think it's probably genuine.
  • Options
    If Labour do come to power soon then they will have no choice but to find massive spending cuts. Not something they really know how to do. They will have major issues with the Unions who provide their funding.

Long term for the Tories their best option is to get someone with some charisma (i.e. Penny), call a General Election and save as many seats as they can but knowing they will lose. Watch Labour tear themselves apart having to implement spending cuts and being ready to take over.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,477
    Roger said:

Rachel Reeves is on form

Rachel Reeves was very good this afternoon.
  • Options

The actual town is Yesyk which is on the coast facing Mariupol.
  • Options
    I believe Michael Howard essentially won the Tory leadership due to a couple of very well-received speeches to the House as Shadow Chancellor.

I wonder if Penny might just have done the same for herself.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Jeremy Hunt definitely more impressive than Truss, or Johnson, or Kwarteng. And showing off his experience too.

I don't like the man but how on earth has he been frozen out for three years in favour of no marks like Cleverly and Truss?

He comes across as a human being but a bit doddering and lacks umph. Mordaunt more robust, I think.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    There is a great series on Netflix (among many) called Mindhunter. About the emergence of psychological profiling by the FBI of serial killers and psychopaths.

It shows the nascent FBI unit interviewing these people; Liz Truss looks like one of them.
  • Options
    Nice try Hunt but you're polishing a turd
  • Options
    I instinctively dislike Hunt because he's an authoritarian, paternalistic nanny statist. But, my God, his voice is so soothing. He should give up politics and read audio books for a living.
  • Options
    sbjme19sbjme19 Posts: 132
    Truss looking rather weird. She sits there with a half-smile as if she's not really there.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    Very good performance by Hunt there.
  • Options

Extremely odd.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,480

The National Grid CEO has warned British households to prepare for blackouts between 4pm and 7pm on “really, really cold” weekdays in January and February

Not really going to help between 4 and 7pm in January and February.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    ydoethur said:

Driver said:

AlistairM said:

Penny looks incredibly serious every time she explains why Truss isn't there. It doesn't look made up. One really hopes it is not something serious.

I'm not watching, so...

"every time"? How many opposition MPs have wasted their question by repeating a question someone else has asked?
    About eleven of them.

Which was doubly stupid because that gave Mordaunt an easy answer. When there were different questions, like Johnson's superb 'will the PM not take further part in economic decision making' she found it far, far tougher.
    Fucking hell. I mean, I know the quality of Labour backbenchers isn't great, because these are the people who could stomach running in support of Corbyn in 2019, but come on...
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Which may well mean that they do

On Penny - its pretty clear now that PMQs wouldn't be a problem for her - so long as she isn't having to defend her own mistakes. That rumour of FS was an insult to her wasn't it?
    Although she will need to be a little more careful about hostages to fortune.

But yes, she could clearly do it.
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651

Liz Truss is probably destined to become a figure like Sarah Ferguson, popping up in the tabloids from time to time for doing something embarrassing.

What a toe curling prospect ....
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293
    The "tory mortgage premium". That's good. I like that.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,996
    edited October 2022
    AlistairM said:

If Labour do come to power soon then they will have no choice but to find massive spending cuts. Not something they really know how to do. They will have major issues with the Unions who provide their funding.

Long term for the Tories their best option is to get someone with some charisma (i.e. Penny), call a General Election and save as many seats as they can but knowing they will lose. Watch Labour tear themselves apart having to implement spending cuts and being ready to take over.

Exactly what they need to do.
    If they can restrict Labour to under a say 40 majority 5 years of popcorntastic Labour fuck ups await followed by an utter humping
  • Options
    sbjme19 said:

Truss looking rather weird. She sits there with a half-smile as if she's not really there.

Very odd indeed- I hope she's ok.
  • Options

This isn’t going to be doing Penny any harm with her own party.

Truss placed Penny in an impossible position and Penny has performed very well under the circumstances and it is shameful, utterly shameful, Truss put her in this position

Truss is a disgrace to the office of Prime Minister and in a few short weeks has established herself as the worst PM in my lifetime
    That is really saying something. Especially as BGNW has observed (I think) every PM in action since Lord North!
    I think you are think of @JackW ?

No. Seeing has how Jack has personally observed every PM since Robert Walpole.
  • Options
    Driver said:

ydoethur said:

Driver said:

AlistairM said:

I'm not watching, so...

About eleven of them.

Which was doubly stupid because that gave Mordaunt an easy answer. When there were different questions, like Johnson's superb 'will the PM not take further part in economic decision making' she found it far, far tougher.
    Fucking hell. I mean, I know the quality of Labour backbenchers isn't great, because these are the people who could stomach running in support of Corbyn in 2019, but come on...
    It wasn't just them, the SNP were as bad.

That was Diane Johnson, not Boris Johnson, in case you were wondering.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,243
    Liz Truss does a runner once Jezza H concludes.
  • Options
    Had to be Hunt in 2019.

The last few days proves that.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    AlistairM said:

If it turns out that Truss has got a serious and genuine reason for not being there then Labour are going to look very bad for pressing it so much. They've made their point - move on from it.

If that is the case the opposition should have been briefed. We were told at 1.30 that Mordaunt was going to be answering the questions. Presumably, in order to get her agreement, it must have been know for at least 3 hours that Truss wasn't going to turn up.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Not necessarily: tax wealth, extend NI to all earnings,...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    (((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    16s
    Liz Truss leaves the Chamber. I’ve never seen anything like this in my life.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,365

(snip)

A spectacular picture. I doubt this is a shootdown. Everyone in the air force will be tired; from the pilots to the mechanics. Tired people make mistakes.

(This goes for both the Russians and the Ukrainians.)
    There have been a couple of lost Russian planes shortly after take off in the last month or so. The planes probably haven't flown this often before.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007
    ydoethur said:

Jeremy Hunt definitely more impressive than Truss, or Johnson, or Kwarteng. And showing off his experience too.

I don't like the man but how on earth has he been frozen out for three years in favour of no marks like Cleverly and Truss?

He wasn't frozen out for 3 years - Boris just wanted yes men who wouldn't argue back.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Brexit.
  • Options
    Simon_PeachSimon_Peach Posts: 409
    edited October 2022

And looking at Google Earth, there is a military airfield within the urban area…

• Options
    Taz said:

She's bored of listening to the new PM already?

Pretty rude from a backbencher frankly.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897

Truss is enduring an orgy of humiliation.

She needs to utter her safe word asap.
    Election?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,243

sbjme19 said:

Very odd indeed- I hope she's ok.
    Yes, same here.

I also hope the matter that detained her, if there was such a matter, is not too grave either.

There could have been something that genuinely detained her and it could have caused her current state.
  • Options
    Gove sitting there quietly. I wonder if he's jealous of Hunt?
  • Options

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    16s
    Liz Truss leaves the Chamber. I’ve never seen anything like this in my life.

In fairness Hodges is always writing this. The guy needs a valium.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    kinabalu said:

The "tory mortgage premium". That's good. I like that.

Its trite nonsense. Especially as the very statement/action she's critiquing is predicted to drastically cut back likely rate rises.
    Shes better than Dodds though. But Burgon would be better than Dodds. Or Sultana. Or anyone
  • Options
    First they came for the Ukrainians. Now they've come for South Park and Peppa Pig.

Meanwhile in Moscow, Russian MP Alexander Khinshtein has declared war on South Park and Peppa Pig
    https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1582038133306052608
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,144

Truss placed Penny in an impossible position and Penny has performed very well under the circumstances and it is shameful, utterly shameful, Truss put her in this position

Truss is a disgrace to the office of Prime Minister and in a few short weeks has established herself as the worst PM in my lifetime
    That is really saying something. Especially as BGNW has observed (I think) every PM in action since Lord North!

Not to mention his role in the Witenagemot.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,960
    Cookie said:

Not really going to help between 4 and 7pm in January and February.
    We could really do with those sunlit uplands...
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856
    mwadams said:

Not to mention his role in the Witenagemot.
    And the tribal council of the Votadini on Traprain Law.
  • Options
    Redfields 'wank if you want a Labour govt' poll is 56 20. Lolz
  • Options
    Hostile from Redwood
  • Options

The actual town is Yesyk which is on the coast facing Mariupol.
    Then say Yeysk. Krasnodar is the capital of Krasnodar Krai (another term for "oblast").
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    sbjme19 said:

valium does that to a girl.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,067
    💥 New @RedfieldWilton poll puts Labour *36 points* head of the Tories - largest lead for any party recorded by any pollster since October 1997:

Labour: 56% (+3)
    Conservative: 20% (-4)
    Liberal Democrats: 11% (-2)
    Green: 5% (+2)
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    AlistairM said:

First they came for the Ukrainians. Now they've come for South Park and Peppa Pig.

Meanwhile in Moscow, Russian MP Alexander Khinshtein has declared war on South Park and Peppa Pig

Reckon they could take the Pig family. South Park I'm dubious about. They might kill Kenny.
  • Options
    Now very obvious why Hunt took what everyone thought was a crazy decision to saddle himself to Truss.

It has allowed him to show why he should be officially made PM.

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,067
    Labour leads by 36%.

Largest lead for ANY party with ANY polling company since October 1997.

Westminster VI (16 Oct.):

Labour 56% (+3)
    Conservative 20% (-4)
    Lib Dems 11% (-2)
    Green 5% (+2)
    SNP 4% (–)
    Reform UK 2% (–)
    Other 1% (-2)

Changes +/- 13 Oct.

https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-gb-voting-intention-16-october-2022 https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1582038729694191616/photo/1
  • Options
    ihuntihunt Posts: 146

Taz said:

She's bored of listening to the new PM already?

Pretty rude from a backbencher frankly.
    think she was on something and the effects would wear off after an hour so she had to do a runner...
  • Options
    The conservative party could do worse than appoint Hunt as PM
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

sbjme19 said:

valium does that to a girl.
    She'll be needing Xanax to be honest.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Labour leads by 36%.

Largest lead for ANY party with ANY polling company since October 1997.

Westminster VI (16 Oct.):

Labour 56% (+3)
    Conservative 20% (-4)
    Lib Dems 11% (-2)
    Green 5% (+2)
    SNP 4% (–)
    Reform UK 2% (–)
    Other 1% (-2)

Changes +/- 13 Oct.

https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-gb-voting-intention-16-october-2022 https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1582038729694191616/photo/1

Yikes
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

AlistairM said:

Reckon they could take the Pig family. South Park I'm dubious about. They might kill Kenny.
    Maybe he hates the Canadians.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007
    edited October 2022
    IanB2 said:

Hostile from Redwood

Hardly surprising - he hates IR35 and the consequences of the 2021 changes. Without that reversal he probably would have been happy.
  • Options
    Penny PM/Hunt CoE and General Election pre-announced as mid-late 2023. Probably their best chance IMHO.
  • Options

The conservative party could do worse than appoint Hunt as PM

It has. Much worse.
This discussion has been closed.