Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punters make it a 64% chance that Truss won’t survive 2022 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,324

SBK on oddschecker has just gone 1/20 for Truss to leave in 2022...

My 2-1 on her staying to year end might turn out to be one of the worst tips in PB history.

(Although @Roger's "No" probably tops it :smile: )
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,967
    edited October 2022
    Someone should ask if Truss will be at PMQs on Wednesday
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,722

Penny saying she cannot give the reasons for Truss absence and hopes she will be joining them later

Is Truss on the edge and about to resign

Medical confidentiality would cover a situation where the PM was talking to a mental health professional.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    MikeL said:

Penny now 2nd favourite ahead of Hunt and Wallace.

Was 4th favourite an hour ago.

This standing-in was a gift for her, far from it being a horrible position to be put in.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,676
    Patricia Gibson, that's about the ninth variation on that question. At least be original.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,631

MikeL said:

Penny now 2nd favourite ahead of Hunt and Wallace.

Was 4th favourite an hour ago.

This standing-in was a gift for her, far from it being a horrible position to be put in.
    As I said it would be.
  • Options

Penny has hinted she will be available at PMQ

I really cannot see it
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Is Liz Truss under house arrest at her dacha in Norfolk?

The Guardian had a photo of her returning to Downing Street (from where?) a couple of hours ago.

I believe that the King is at Balmoral.
    If he has any sense he’ll stay there a good while.
    Hope he’s got plenty of popcorn in the larder.
  • Options
    Possibly a briefing on Russian build-up in Belarus, but that's pure guesswork on my part.
  • Options

This isn’t going to be doing Penny any harm with her own party.

Truss placed Penny in an impossible position and Penny has performed very well under the circumstances and it is shameful, utterly shameful, Truss put her in this position

Truss is a disgrace to the office of Prime Minister and in a few short weeks has established herself as the worst PM in my lifetime
    That is really saying something. Especially as BGNW has observed (I think) every PM in action since Lord North!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,156

eek said:

Tom Larkin
    @TomLarkinSky
    Penny Mordaunt repeatedly defending Liz Truss's absence from the Commons because of 'urgent business'.

The PM arrived in parliament half an hour ago, still no sign of her in the chamber.

If she's in Parliament then she isn't at a Cobra etc. Maybe being given the last rites by Brady.

Sam Coates Sky
    @SamCoatesSky
    Penny Mordaunt unable to say why the PM isn't in the Chamber (tho she is on the Parliamentary estate)

Suggests there's a very good, non economic reason for absence

"There are very serious matters as well as economic matters .... She will be here tomorrow"
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,562
    Calling it now. Truss is going to be resigning in next couple of days. Penny is going to be the compromise candidate, leading a government drawn from all wings of the party.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,817
    Here she is!
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,379
    Liz Truss has arrived at the House of Commons
  • Options
    Just walked in would you believe
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    She's here!!!!
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

Penny Mordaunt: "The Prime Minister is not under a desk..."

"A bus, maybe....but not a desk."
    What about in a Fridge?

• Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

nico679 said:

So are they making up some national security reason for the Truss absence . Are we all about to be nuked. Where is Leon ?

Nope there would have been a briefing to Labour Party if it was that serious. That said I would have thought they would also have shared her being ill.
    A sick note is her only reasonably graceful exit from this point onwards.
  • Options

Penny has hinted she will be available at PMQ

I really cannot see it
    Now explicitly confirmed
  • Options
    Oh how ridiculous.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,073

Someone just has!
  • Options
    And there she is!
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,639
    edited October 2022
    Scott_xP said:

We will hear from the prime minister *in the next 24 hours*, says Mordaunt. This is sounding… bad.

If its health related and she is going it would be poor form not to have informed SKS before he went in 2 footed
    I would expect him to have been informed by back channels even if not by Number 10 direct
  • Options
    She's just taking the piss now. At least take the last few questions.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Looks happy as a happy thing.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,927

ihunt said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

Tory MPs are being told Truss will get Hunt to answer Starmer’s urgent question.
    If she sits mute next to him, that will be her vote of confidence in her Chancellor...but it may also fuel calls for a vote of no confidence in herself.

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1581986564082520065

If Hunt answers the question surely it just confirms he is the PM in all but name.

And it confirms that Truss needs to go asap.

Equally Hunt hasn't been selected by anyone except Truss so that isn't exactly representing any version of democracy when the new DeFacto leader came last in the last leadership contest.
    If Hunt is now made PM by coronation there would be civil war in the party,
    he knows that which is why he is happy staying Chancellor with Truss his puppet PM.

The ERG would also nominate a candidate against him unless the 1922 cttee put an absurd figure of say 150 Tory MPs required to nominate a leadership candidate
    If the polls and the £ and the FTSE go up, I am sure they could cope with it.

Everyone knows that the hard Brexit is going to have to be undone; while the grown-ups are in charge they may as well start on that, too.
    Rejoin the single market and restore free movement and that is it for the Tories, they not only lose by a landslide but Farage's party replaces them as the main opposition
    It would not happen. Brexit is no longer a salient issue.
    If the Tories rejoin the single market and add all EU regulations and EU free movement again, then most Leave voters will move en masse from Tory to Farage exactly as they did in Spring 2019. Anyone who says otherwise is clueless
    It won't be Farage. He is a spent force. The movement you describe may well happen but it will be to whoever can pick up Farage's mantel. I have no idea who is even leading Reform these days. Or it could be Fox with Reclaim.

In the end it will still make no difference in terms of who forms the next government. It will only affect the size of the magnitude of the Tory defeat. Neiter Reform or Reclaim will get more than a couple of seats - if that.
    Richard Tice runs Reform UK, Hamilton has the pitiful Kipper remnants
    I quite like Tice on a personal level. But he is a lost cause as far as getting any significant numbers of seats in Parliament.
    Needs something new. Tice has made no impression at all in by elections or at local level.
    A red wall focussed effort and perhaps heavily concentrated in the Essex, East Greater London and Kent seats could pay dividends
    comes across as too much of a public school smoothie to appeal to the red wall i think
    Farage? Exactly where he was strongest in 2015 and 2019.
    You seem to be assuming nothing much has changed since Farage was polling well. We are now experiencing Brexit and people are not exactly dancing in the streets.

A small anecdote - I have had numerous friendly chats over the years with the guy mows our lawns. He strongly backed Brexit and voted for UKIP on numerous occasions. Last week he told me that if Farage was standing in front of him right now he would punch his lights out.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,127
    Labour should do a point of order and get Starmer to ask the question again.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Truss should really stand up and start answering questions if she wanted to show leadership.
  • Options
    And Truss now sits there while Penny does her job ten times better
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,702
    exit price dropping.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Oh the SNP guy has fucked it if there was a genuine reason
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Demob happy?
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,159

Scott_xP said:

We will hear from the prime minister *in the next 24 hours*, says Mordaunt. This is sounding… bad.

If its health related and she is going it would be poor form not to have informed SKS before he went in 2 footed
    I would expect him to have been informed by back channels even if not by Number 10 durect
    Something deeply serious that doesn't impact on any other world leaders whose itineraries seem to be uninterrupted, and permits her to be smiling happily back on the front bench when the danger of having to speak is over.
  • Options
    Truss on the front bench.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,743

Scott_xP said:

I would expect him to have been informed by back channels even if not by Number 10 direct
    Good point.
  • Options
    Well, Mordaunt had a brutal hour there but she did pretty well on the whole with only a couple of mistakes under appalling pressure.

Bryant raising the point of order. Quite rightly.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,900
    Anger boiling over now.. Cabinet Minister tells me:

“Team Rishi’s efforts are fuelling the destabilisation of the government. This in turn is fuelling market volatility. They should stop being bad losers and desist... 1/2

...and Rishi seems to have forgotten that he was the author of all this over-spending. No one wants to give the matches back to the arsonist.”

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1582027871627116544
  • Options
    Here we go...point of order.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    This might be the most exciting hour of British politics I've ever experienced

Unrelenting, rapid drama. Different vibe to the "boom" of the exit poll or the slow burn of Johnson's collapse
  • Options

This isn’t going to be doing Penny any harm with her own party.

Truss placed Penny in an impossible position and Penny has performed very well under the circumstances and it is shameful, utterly shameful, Truss put her in this position

Truss is a disgrace to the office of Prime Minister and in a few short weeks has established herself as the worst PM in my lifetime
    That is really saying something. Especially as BGNW has observed (I think) every PM in action since Lord North!
    I think you are think of @JackW ?

• Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Demob happy?
    Has she been seeing Mr Brady I wonder?
  • Options
    OllyT said:

ihunt said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

Tory MPs are being told Truss will get Hunt to answer Starmer’s urgent question.
    If she sits mute next to him, that will be her vote of confidence in her Chancellor...but it may also fuel calls for a vote of no confidence in herself.

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1581986564082520065

If Hunt answers the question surely it just confirms he is the PM in all but name.

And it confirms that Truss needs to go asap.

Equally Hunt hasn't been selected by anyone except Truss so that isn't exactly representing any version of democracy when the new DeFacto leader came last in the last leadership contest.
    If Hunt is now made PM by coronation there would be civil war in the party,
    he knows that which is why he is happy staying Chancellor with Truss his puppet PM.

The ERG would also nominate a candidate against him unless the 1922 cttee put an absurd figure of say 150 Tory MPs required to nominate a leadership candidate
    If the polls and the £ and the FTSE go up, I am sure they could cope with it.

Everyone knows that the hard Brexit is going to have to be undone; while the grown-ups are in charge they may as well start on that, too.
    Rejoin the single market and restore free movement and that is it for the Tories, they not only lose by a landslide but Farage's party replaces them as the main opposition
    It would not happen. Brexit is no longer a salient issue.
    If the Tories rejoin the single market and add all EU regulations and EU free movement again, then most Leave voters will move en masse from Tory to Farage exactly as they did in Spring 2019. Anyone who says otherwise is clueless
    It won't be Farage. He is a spent force. The movement you describe may well happen but it will be to whoever can pick up Farage's mantel. I have no idea who is even leading Reform these days. Or it could be Fox with Reclaim.

In the end it will still make no difference in terms of who forms the next government. It will only affect the size of the magnitude of the Tory defeat. Neiter Reform or Reclaim will get more than a couple of seats - if that.
    Richard Tice runs Reform UK, Hamilton has the pitiful Kipper remnants
    I quite like Tice on a personal level. But he is a lost cause as far as getting any significant numbers of seats in Parliament.
    Needs something new. Tice has made no impression at all in by elections or at local level.
    A red wall focussed effort and perhaps heavily concentrated in the Essex, East Greater London and Kent seats could pay dividends
    comes across as too much of a public school smoothie to appeal to the red wall i think
    Farage? Exactly where he was strongest in 2015 and 2019.
    You seem to be assuming nothing much has changed since Farage was polling well. We are now experiencing Brexit and people are not exactly dancing in the streets.

A small anecdote - I have had numerous friendly chats over the years with the guy mows our lawns. He strongly backed Brexit and voted for UKIP on numerous occasions. Last week he told me that if Farage was standing in front of him right now he would punch his lights out.
    Rejoin 'might' be in the lead now, yes, but there is significant minority support for Brexit still.
  • Options
    Labour quite right to say she should just stand up and explain why. Truss had the opportunity to show leadership. She chose not to. Tory MPs will have noticed.
  • Options
    PM speaking now.

• Options
    This is just unreal.

She is sat there nodding her head while Hunt, right next to her, undoes her entire agenda.
  • Options
    Truss look physically sick and ill, this is just sad...
  • Options
    PM now on about the vulnerable being protected again.

Can they seriously now not upgrade benefits by actual inflation.
  • Options
    Truss looks white as a sheet
  • Options

Got a stupid smirk on her face though.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,909
    edited October 2022
    IanB2 said:

nico679 said:

So are they making up some national security reason for the Truss absence . Are we all about to be nuked. Where is Leon ?

In the Rockies with some baked beans
    No, I’m about to go riding in the Great Sand Dunes National Park. Colorado

• Options
    AlistairM said:

Labour quite right to say she should just stand up and explain why. Truss had the opportunity to show leadership. She chose not to. Tory MPs will have noticed.

If it is a legitimate matter of national or international security, something related to the war perhaps, it would not be necessarily appropriate to just blurt it out.

If its not, then they're not going to blurt it out either.
  • Options
    This Tory hustings is great. The acerbic Mordaunt or the smooth Hunt. Hmmm.
  • Options
    Is that Truss or her ghost?
  • Options

Got a stupid smirk on her face though.
    Heavily depressed people often put on a brave face in public...
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,404
    Eabhal said:

Truss looks like a robot now. All she is doing is blinking, and I think that is autonomic.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

The next PM is back in Richmondshire drinking coke and eating popcorn though.
  • Options

PM speaking now.

That confused me as I am watching her sitting next to Hunt, looking dreadful
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,927

Was Wallace a Remainer or Brexiter?

Remainer
    Ah, top bloke, then.
    Get him in, already!
    Not just that, but sound judgement;

Early in 2016, with the approach of the European Union referendum, Boris Johnson was wavering between Leave and Remain, and Wallace advised him strongly to support Remain, as taking the Leave side would mean being allied with "clowns".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Wallace_(politician)
    Wallace is going up in my estimation by the minute!
  • Options

AlistairM said:

If it is a legitimate matter of national or international security, something related to the war perhaps, it would not be necessarily appropriate to just blurt it out.

The point is, you could say there was an urgent matter of N/IS without giving details.

True, people might not believe it but it would be better than this ambiguity.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Truss looks white as a sheet

I probably would too if literally everything id ever wanted was going away and i could do nothing but blame myself
  • Options

Possibly a briefing on Russian build-up in Belarus, but that's pure guesswork on my part.

Or just that all those knots take time to untie?
  • Options

PM speaking now.

It was a joke, I think, saying Hunt is PM...
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,156

Eabhal said:

The next PM is back in Richmondshire drinking coke and eating popcorn though.
    He actually lives in Hambleton if he's up North today.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

nico679 said:

I fell of a horse in the summer. I wouldn't recommend it.
  • Options

AlistairM said:

That is true. She needed to do something though. Just sitting saying nothing is not good enough, if just for her own chances of survival. Tory MPs will have noticed that she is there but not leading.
  • Options
    New drinking game, a sip for everytime Truss blinks......good luck
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    AlistairM said:

Penny looks incredibly serious every time she explains why Truss isn't there. It doesn't look made up. One really hopes it is not something serious.

I'm not watching, so...

"every time"? How many opposition MPs have wasted their question by repeating a question someone else has asked?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,565
    Hunt has just thrown Kwarteng under the OBR bus.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

nico679 said:

Should that be ‘off’? Or ‘for’?
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

They should've just done this in the Summer and saved weeks of hustings. Either would be better. I think Mordaunt is a bit more charismatic and would save more Tory seats.
  • Options
    "I've decided" - Hunt

Wowsa
  • Options
    Will he defer or refer to Truss at all?!
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,987
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

nico679 said:

Pikes Peak a bit too close to NORAD?
  • Options
    If I had any doubt that she was on her way out in the next week, I haven’t now.

That situation with Penny Mordaunt was utterly ridiculous. Tory MPs will have noticed Truss didn’t bother to defend herself, and they will have noticed Penny mucked in and acquitted herself well (or as well as she could in the circumstances).

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,623
    LT looks catatonic.

And who can blame her, frankly.
  • Options
    Driver said:

AlistairM said:

Penny looks incredibly serious every time she explains why Truss isn't there. It doesn't look made up. One really hopes it is not something serious.

I'm not watching, so...

"every time"? How many opposition MPs have wasted their question by repeating a question someone else has asked?
    About eleven of them.

Which was doubly stupid because that gave Mordaunt an easy answer. When there were different questions, like Johnson's superb 'will the PM not take further part in economic decision making' she found it far, far tougher.
  • Options

Hunt has just thrown Kwarteng under the OBR bus.

Kwarteng's a political corpse, he's past caring.
  • Options

PM speaking now.

That one went over your head (ie Hunt is defacto PM)
  • Options
    Driver said:

AlistairM said:

I'm not watching, so...

Blimey yes, that's got to be over 100 blinks per minute.
  • Options

Wow. It is non stop. She has probably not been sleeping.
  • Options
    The National Grid CEO has warned British households to prepare for blackouts between 4pm and 7pm on “really, really cold” weekdays in January and February

https://www.ft.com/content/d31fbbd6-8325-43b7-94e4-29101cfe6045
  • Options
    Paul Waugh
    @paulwaugh
    ·
    10m
    @trussliz
    has arrived, conveniently just as Hunt arrives. That national security reason very mysteriously ended just in time for Truss to arrive exactly as its time for Hunt to speak.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,203
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

nico679 said:

Is that the eponymous 'Dunes' in the distance?
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Wow. It is non stop. She has probably not been sleeping.
    Now you see it, you can't unsee it.
  • Options
    Hunt also impressively calm, even as he basically says 'I'm undoing all the previous stuff because it was a crock of shit.'
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

nico679 said:

Should that be ‘off’? Or ‘for’?
    Oops "off" I meant.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,976
    Is it likely she'll resign now? I wouldn't be surprised
  • Options
    Truss looks like she is dosed up on something heavy.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,112
    If Truss isn’t mentally fit to cope with the job then she should just resign . People will be sympathetic if this is effecting her mental health but the brutal reality is you’re either upto the job or not .
  • Options
    Roger said:

Is it likely she'll resign now? I wouldn't be surprised

Wouldn't she have made a statement in response to the UQ?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,565
    Driver said:

AlistairM said:

I'm not watching, so...

You'd have loved it. Mordaunt crushed Starmer, Liam Byrne's note, the Labour Party and Liz Truss. It was brutal!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,623
    edited October 2022
    Did Jezza (H) just announce a special economic advisory council made up of hedge fund principals and investment bankers?
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,008
    TOPPING said:

Did Jezza (H) just announce a special economic advisory council made up of hedge fund principals and investment bankers?

That made me do a gasp 'oh wow'.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,078
    edited October 2022
    Maybe the "very good reason" was that they know she isn't up to it.
  • Options
    This

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,372
    TOPPING said:

Including George Osborne's chief of staff.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,818
    edited October 2022
    TOPPING said:

Oooh, I should be on this council.
This discussion has been closed.