Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s like back to the 90s for the Tories on what is turning

Comments

• Options
    Jennifer Williams ‏@JenWilliamsMEN 1m

So the England captain has had sex with a prostitute gran but a lower league minister has to resign for suggesting he will play away?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    dr_spyn said:

What knocked 14% off Trinity Mirror's share price this week, just asking for a friend.

People don't read newspapers any more, they prefer the internet.
  • Options

Just checking in after a day of DIY and golf. No libertarian, left or right, should take any pleasure from this purile sting by the papers. Live and let live.

Could this be the Mirror's equivalent to Gordon's letter-of-condolence brouhaha by The Sun? Gordon gained a lot of sympathy from that (even with me) and Labour's fortunes just started to turn thereafter. Bad news for Ed Miliband?
    In a way, I hope so. But I doubt it because the public is still ludicrously judgmental on this stuff.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,004
    Pong said:

woody662 said:

I's be betting against Reckless holding his seat. Carswell seems to generate warmth and is principled. Reckless's most famous moment was being too hammered to vote on the budget when he couldn't open the door into Strangers bar and according to a story I heard ended up in Kent rather than London afterwards because the taxi driver took him to the wrong house.

He did increase his majority by 6% in 2010 though.

It's a tough one to price up. I'd guess the bookies would probably look at the Clacton odds as a guide - they'll be expecting most punters to bet on UKIP and set the price accordingly.

A random stab in the dark guess at the bookies opening offer would be something like;

1/3 UKIP
    3/1 Con
    8/1 Lab
    Jesus man! Just offer some odds without the disclaimers!!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

The Tories will be forced to do an electoral pact with UKIP. Simple as. Either now (unlikely) or in 2020.

All the Tories who affect to be scandalised by this need to grow up.

Any electoral pact with UKIP will cost the Tories more voters than it gains.
    Utter nonsense. Tories will vote for Tories, kippers will vote for kippers, each side will hold noses and agree to disagree. This is how Coalitions work. Britain is headed for European style government, where "decent" right wing parties govern with the aid of unsavoury hard-right parties.
    1) You can't guarantee Kippers will follow orders (see Wells 2010 as an example)

2) I know of several Tories, activists, MPs, members, who will not remain part of the party, if we form a pact with UKIP, in its current form.
    Re 1. irrelevant

Re 2. who cares. Power is power. The British people already want a rightwing government - trouble is, some want Tories, some want UKIP. After 5 years of utterly feeble Milibandism (an exact copy of Hollande) we will get a Tory-UKIP Coalition government that delivers what the votets request.

Effete Tories who would rather remain in Opposition FOREVER, than contemplate this, will either leave, or wise up.
    1) Is very relevant

2) For better part of two decades, a significant strand of the Tory party, usually on the socially conservative right wing of the party have preferred the purity of opposition to power.
    1. isn't

2. they'll get over it, after 5 years of Miliband
    1) Oh yes it is.

2) No they won't
    What happened to the Progressive Canadian Party (the Progressive Conservatives who couldn't stomach merger with Reform?)

Come the day, most Conservatives and UKIP will collaborate with each other.
    I do not share your confidence.
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    edited September 2014
    Rod

Cameron wouldn't survive 20 MPs defecting to UKIP.

Almost certainly not 15.

Probably 10.

But would 5 force him out?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    isam said:

Pong said:

So what are the odds on Reckless winning the by-election?

He must be pretty confident to defect - and seems to have taken a councillor or 2 with him but my hunch is to bet against.

Anyone fancy a bet?

What odds are you offering?
    UKIP would be odds on to win IMO.

Interested on an evens bet on Reckless' majority? How confident are you?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

dr_spyn said:

What knocked 14% off Trinity Mirror's share price this week, just asking for a friend.

People don't read newspapers any more, they prefer the internet.
    Didn't they get nailed for a phone hacking thing last week?
  • Options
    Frankie looks value at 4/1 in the dancing.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited September 2014
    It was a notional majority. In 2005 Labour won the old version of the seat. Bob Marshall Andrews beat him by 210 votes*. Boundary changes were slightly favourable for Conservatives and therefor the notionals had them 1% ahead instead of 0.5 behind

*it was the GE night when BMA announced his defeat blaming Blair only to win the seat 2 hours later. IIRC he refused to shake Reckless's hand because of something that was written into a Con leaflet
    Pong said:

He did increase his majority by 6% in 2010 though.

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

The Tories will be forced to do an electoral pact with UKIP. Simple as. Either now (unlikely) or in 2020.

Utter nonsense. Tories will vote for Tories, kippers will vote for kippers, each side will hold noses and agree to disagree. This is how Coalitions work. Britain is headed for European style government, where "decent" right wing parties govern with the aid of unsavoury hard-right parties.
    1) You can't guarantee Kippers will follow orders (see Wells 2010 as an example)

2) I know of several Tories, activists, MPs, members, who will not remain part of the party, if we form a pact with UKIP, in its current form.
    Re 1. irrelevant

Re 2. who cares. Power is power. The British people already want a rightwing government - trouble is, some want Tories, some want UKIP. After 5 years of utterly feeble Milibandism (an exact copy of Hollande) we will get a Tory-UKIP Coalition government that delivers what the votets request.

Effete Tories who would rather remain in Opposition FOREVER, than contemplate this, will either leave, or wise up.
    1) Is very relevant

2) For better part of two decades, a significant strand of the Tory party, usually on the socially conservative right wing of the party have preferred the purity of opposition to power.
    1. isn't

2. they'll get over it, after 5 years of Miliband
    1) Oh yes it is.

2) No they won't
    What happened to the Progressive Canadian Party (the Progressive Conservatives who couldn't stomach merger with Reform?)

Come the day, most Conservatives and UKIP will collaborate with each other.
    Ha ha. No they won't.
  • Options
    perdix said:

ComRes Loaded question about EV4EL by Mirror/Indy (Labour supporting) sponsor?

The loaded questions by Com Res rather demean the polling industry.

Still don't think Reckless has the appeal of Carswell. I hope the bookies price up on this sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    GIN1138 said:

woody662 said:

Labour got a margin of error bounce following a conference when they release a load of populist policies that will unravel.

Has Labour even had a conference bounce this year? So far everything has been within MOE I think?

Well the -3 and + 3 swings do not suggest a bounce.
    I do not see the tory party changing. It would just be a gift to labour and LDs if it swing knee jerk to the right and the tory party is and has been a centrist party.
    Cameron has already announced his opposition to ever closer union in a perfectly viable wise and coherent speech. The issue is clear and the policy sound. But the EU is not a real issue with UKIP anymore. Its just base racism firmly centred on anti muslimism. It sees it can get votes there. It has to be left to do what it will and bring on what harm it will on our country.
  • Options
    So any suggestions for a morning thread are welcome.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I think its rather inaccurate to describe the Tories as 'hard right'.....
  • Options

This demonstrates Cameron's biggest weaknesses: his laziness and his aloofness. He simply hasn't been bothered to do the kind of conciliatory listening to the concerns of his backbenchers that all successful leaders have to do. It's an object lesson in how important that kind of stuff is.

You really think the fruit loops are interested in listening? The EU is quickly dissappearing into the distance for UKIP. It has learned it can peddle a racist homophobic anti outsider agenda.
    I'm right wing but I'm not a bigot. The real issue is the parking of an underclass on benefits its the lack of preparation for work of our young. The issue of immigration is because of the success of our economy and the need to serve it and the unwillingness and unfitness of some Brits to take part. UKIP simply blame the hardworking Poles and smear everyone with a dark skin.
    I am currently trying to work out if you have ever made a post on here that wasn't an ignorant bigoted smear. You really are a dinosaur.

I suppose we should be grateful. It is just this sort of moronic behaviour that drives more people out of the Tory party.
  • Options

After a generation the Tories are finally paying the price for betraying Thatcher's legacy to aspiring blue collar workers. It does not surprise me that Essex and Kent are going purple first and quickest. Labour betrayed their own WWC vote too, bit handily have replaced the need for them with copious immigration.

Just what you need is a party that's more Tory than the Tories and it's called Ukip.
  • Options
    SandraMSandraM Posts: 206
    I find the Newmark "scandal" feeble. Couldn't he say he was doing his bit for the "cock-in-a-sock" campaign to raise awareness of male cancers but just forgot to put a sock on it?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    edited September 2014
    SandraM said:

I find the Newmark "scandal" feeble. Couldn't he say he was doing his bit for the "cock-in-a-sock" campaign to raise awareness of male cancers but just forgot to put a sock on it?

Not really, as any married man would tell you, your wife would never believe that.

It's up there with "I slipped and fell, penis first...."
  • Options

This demonstrates Cameron's biggest weaknesses: his laziness and his aloofness. He simply hasn't been bothered to do the kind of conciliatory listening to the concerns of his backbenchers that all successful leaders have to do. It's an object lesson in how important that kind of stuff is.

He would not even listen to his own mother over gay marriage.Sinful.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

Well, there's speculation of who, if anybody, is to be this Wednesday defection people are talking about, but I suppose it's a bit of a rehash.

So the England captain has had sex with a prostitute gran but a lower league minister has to resign for suggesting he will play away?

Is that what jokes about him and older ladies have been about on talk and game shows for years? I was never clear on that, but didn't care enough to find out.
  • Options

Married father-of-five Brooks Newmark, 56, said he was “so sorry” after the investigation found he had contacted the freelance male reporter online before swapping sexually explicit images.

The new Minister for Civil Society, who co-founded the campaign group Women2Win, initiated a private message conversation on a social networking site and as part of a series of exchanges sent a graphic picture exposing himself while wearing a pair of paisley pyjamas

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tory-minister-brooks-newmark-quits-4335398

Rather dull by the standards of political sex scandals.

What is interesting is that it was clearly a setup. He thought he was sexting with a hot young FEMALE and it was actually an undercover MALE reporter.

Have the Mirror been on a fishing exercise looking to catch pervy old male politicians (given it is the Mirror, they would only set up Tories), or was there some specific intell on this guy.

If it was a fishing exercise, you have to think more than one MP, would get in involved in this, if they thought they could bonk a hot young reporter.
    Another bullshit sting by the Mirror - the paper that got Will Straw to buy an eighth of weed to try to get into a hot girl's knickers. I despair if this is what sets the agenda these days. Hope this guy can save his family.
    Yes that nasty old mirror making people take drugs and let their family down... If only there was such a thing as free will
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Rooney should be stripped of the Captaincy for being a petulant foul mouthed idiot, not for his granny shagging.

This was his reaction when his defensive error allowed Leicester to equalise last week. Also note how none of his team are interested in his opinions.

https://mediacru.sh/4e3-zJN-7Yn1

Bit of a reality check today. Palace have much better defence than Man United.
  • Options

It's been a while since we had something on Scotland....or the AV?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

In other news a Roman Catholic Bishop is standing down.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29397223

Makes a change from stories of wayward staff at a national broadcaster.

Man has girlfriend, shocker.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Just what you need is a party that's more Tory than the Tories and it's called Ukip.

Most working class Labour voters of a certain age are conservative with a small "c".

That's why Labour is little more than a coalition of minorities these days south of the Pennines.

• Options

I do have a saved thread ready for emergencies entitled "Is electoral reform the only way to keep Scotland in the union long term"
  • Options

After a generation the Tories are finally paying the price for betraying Thatcher's legacy to aspiring blue collar workers. It does not surprise me that Essex and Kent are going purple first and quickest. Labour betrayed their own WWC vote too, bit handily have replaced the need for them with copious immigration.

And it appeals to the WWC, bit of a worry for you?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

Dave is crap?
  • Options

I do have a saved thread ready for emergencies entitled "Is electoral reform the only way to keep Scotland in the union long term"
    That's a winner, TSE.

I'll get up early to make sure I'm First.

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

You really think the fruit loops are interested in listening? The EU is quickly dissappearing into the distance for UKIP. It has learned it can peddle a racist homophobic anti outsider agenda.
    I'm right wing but I'm not a bigot. The real issue is the parking of an underclass on benefits its the lack of preparation for work of our young. The issue of immigration is because of the success of our economy and the need to serve it and the unwillingness and unfitness of some Brits to take part. UKIP simply blame the hardworking Poles and smear everyone with a dark skin.
    I am currently trying to work out if you have ever made a post on here that wasn't an ignorant bigoted smear. You really are a dinosaur.

I suppose we should be grateful. It is just this sort of moronic behaviour that drives more people out of the Tory party.
    Oh so, I've invented the remarks by UKIPers have I? Shall i start calling you Mr Ting Tong - and that 'smear' was at one of the odious woman's own supporters! I think I know what UKIPO are all about nthank myou very much.
    i can be right wing but I amk not a bigot like some.

Shall I tell you what I want?
    Its not to have Miliband as PM.
    Its to have a sane broadchurch centre right tory party. One thats electable. What we have are thick tory backbenchers who endlessly shoot their own party in the foot and totally lose any opportunity to see any form of right wing govt or policy enacted by a tory govt.

You and people like you are meat and drink to Miliband. Useful idiots.
  • Options
    Pong said:

isam said:

Pong said:

He must be pretty confident to defect - and seems to have taken a councillor or 2 with him but my hunch is to bet against.

Anyone fancy a bet?

I haven't really looked at it to be honest... Do you mean in terms of vote percentage or actual votes?

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    If the Carswell pattern is followed we should expect the Rochester by-election around 6/13th November...
  • Options

Rooney should be stripped of the Captaincy for being a petulant foul mouthed idiot, not for his granny shagging.

This was his reaction when his defensive error allowed Leicester to equalise last week. Also note how none of his team are interested in his opinions.

https://mediacru.sh/4e3-zJN-7Yn1

Bit of a reality check today. Palace have much better defence than Man United.
    I remember the hordes at Chelsea singing 'Rooney's shagging Nani, la la la'

Most amusing at the time though I do appreciate you had to be there!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Well, there's speculation of who, if anybody, is to be this Wednesday defection people are talking about, but I suppose it's a bit of a rehash.

Is that what jokes about him and older ladies have been about on talk and game shows for years? I was never clear on that, but didn't care enough to find out.
    Back in 2004, he slept with a prostitute, who was, how can I say this would sounding a cad and bounder, erm, experienced.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/wayne-rooneys-auld-slapper-my-heart-245674

I don't know why people use prostitutes.

I'd be scared of using one.

After two hours with her, and my panther like prowess to bring women to hidden realms of ecstasy, I'd be demanding she pays me,

Then her pimp would re-arrange my face.
  • Options
    Oh and chaps, if you're ever caught by the rozzers with a prostitute tell them

"She's a condom seller, and she was providing me with a free demo on how to use them"
  • Options
    70s or 80s music dedicated to all unruly MPs.

http://www.youtube.com
    /watch?v=JYwlbANUoxg
  • Options

Oh so, I've invented the remarks by UKIPers have I? Shall i start calling you Mr Ting Tong - and that 'smear' was at one of the odious woman's own supporters! I think I know what UKIPO are all about nthank myou very much.

Its to have a sane broadchurch centre right tory party. One thats electable. What we have are thick tory backbenchers who endlessly shoot their own party in the foot and totally lose any opportunity to see any form of right wing govt or policy enacted by a tory govt.

Like I said, keep it up. It only helps drive more and more people out of the Tory party. Of course you will thrash around and blame everyone but yourselves when you are beaten, which is of course sad as it means you will never learn.

On the subject of bigots, a Tory party supporter has no right what so ever to criticise any other party as long as Ken 'with a bit of luck you'll get Aids' Gregory is still one of your councillors.Or maybe you think that homophobia is acceptable for Tory councillors?

• Options

"She's a condom seller, and she was providing me with a free demo on how to use them"

Rozzer: "And I'm a handcuff/truncheon/taser seller..."
  • Options

If you are ever caught shagging a pumpkin just say 'fuck me is it midnight already?'
  • Options
    isam said:

Married father-of-five Brooks Newmark, 56, said he was “so sorry” after the investigation found he had contacted the freelance male reporter online before swapping sexually explicit images.

The new Minister for Civil Society, who co-founded the campaign group Women2Win, initiated a private message conversation on a social networking site and as part of a series of exchanges sent a graphic picture exposing himself while wearing a pair of paisley pyjamas

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tory-minister-brooks-newmark-quits-4335398

Rather dull by the standards of political sex scandals.

What is interesting is that it was clearly a setup. He thought he was sexting with a hot young FEMALE and it was actually an undercover MALE reporter.

Have the Mirror been on a fishing exercise looking to catch pervy old male politicians (given it is the Mirror, they would only set up Tories), or was there some specific intell on this guy.

If it was a fishing exercise, you have to think more than one MP, would get in involved in this, if they thought they could bonk a hot young reporter.
    Another bullshit sting by the Mirror - the paper that got Will Straw to buy an eighth of weed to try to get into a hot girl's knickers. I despair if this is what sets the agenda these days. Hope this guy can save his family.
    Yes that nasty old mirror making people take drugs and let their family down... If only there was such a thing as free will
    Twentysomething buys sexy girl weed to impress her. What a shocker.
  • Options
    Looks like UKIP have learned a lesson from the Clacton by-election already.

"Dr Mark Hanson steps aside in Rochester and Strood for @MarkReckless and is awarded a Party Gold Medal "

twitter.com/UKIP/status/515879579500949504
  • Options
    ***ELBOW post***

Opinium tables... must have Opinium tables...
  • Options

Like I said, keep it up. It only helps drive more and more people out of the Tory party. Of course you will thrash around and blame everyone but yourselves when you are beaten, which is of course sad as it means you will never learn.

On the subject of bigots, a Tory party supporter has no right what so ever to criticise any other party as long as Ken 'with a bit of luck you'll get Aids' Gregory is still one of your councillors.Or maybe you think that homophobia is acceptable for Tory councillors?

Your reward will be a decade of Milliband.

Most of the hardcore elderly Kippers will be six feet under the golf course by then.
  • Options
    Reckless by name.

Reckless by nature.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    TSE I thought at first you had morphed into OGH whose distaste for all things Tory is well recorded. Most voters wont pay any attention to today's fun and games.

If another MP defects s/he will feel obliged to resign and fight a by-election but if Dan Hannan resigns we just get another Tory MEP. If he doesn't resign and does defect, he will be no better than those former Tory MEPs who defected to the LibDems 2009-2014. Incidentally where are they now?

As for Comedy Resolutions side splitting poll, does anyone care what they say?
  • Options

Looks like UKIP have learned a lesson from the Clacton by-election already.

"Dr Mark Hanson steps aside in Rochester and Strood for @MarkReckless and is awarded a Party Gold Medal "

twitter.com/UKIP/status/515879579500949504

I'm sure he'll be getting a decent choice of candidacy's as well in the not so distant future.
  • Options

Reckless by name.

Reckless by nature.

"You are Reckless!" - Master Yoda.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    isam said:

Pong said:

isam said:

Pong said:

Anyone fancy a bet?

I haven't really looked at it to be honest... Do you mean in terms of vote percentage or actual votes?

Vote percentage is probably the more interesting bet.

UKIP Over 47.5% @ Evens?

Edit - these are the ukip clacton % odds;

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/clacton-by-election/ukip-vote-share
  • Options

TSE I thought at first you had morphed into OGH whose distaste for all things Tory is well recorded. Most voters wont pay any attention to today's fun and games.

If another MP defects s/he will feel obliged to resign and fight a by-election but if Dan Hannan resigns we just get another Tory MEP. If he doesn't resign and does defect, he will be no better than those former Tory MEPs who defected to the LibDems 2009-2014. Incidentally where are they now?

Or the UKIP MEP who defected to the Tories and is still a Tory MEP?
  • Options
    All this talk of defections. I was starting to panic that Neil Hamilton might defect from UKIP to the Tory Party. We would politely have to decline.

Tories have long memories and never forgive political treachery. Kippers are kidding themselves if they think we will form a coalition with them. They can climb into bed with the Labour party they are doing their best to help get elected.
  • Options
    Ukip! Ukip! Ukip! ZZZzzzzzzzz.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    edited September 2014

As for Comedy Resolutions side splitting poll, does anyone care what they say?

Mike has such a distaste for all things Tory that he leaves me in charge for nearly three weeks.
  • Options

All this talk of defections. I was starting to panic that Neil Hamilton might defect from UKIP to the Tory Party. We would politely have to decline.

Tories have long memories and never forgive political treachery. Kippers are kidding themselves if they think we will form a coalition with them. They can climb into bed with the Labour party they are doing their best to help get elected.

Most Kippers will tell you that there job isn't to prop up the Tory Party.

It's to replace them.
  • Options

One only has to see how Tory toxicity has poisoned the Libdem party to know to keep well away!
  • Options
    I thought OGH was on a cruise somewhere?

Mike Smithson retweeted

Iain Martin Iain Martin
    @iainmartin1
    Can't believe Farage forgot the EU in his conference speech...
    10:20 PM - 26 Sep 14
  • Options

Most Kippers will tell you that their job isn't to prop up the Tory Party.

It's to replace them.
  • Options

Most of the hardcore elderly Kippers will be six feet under the golf course by then.

Nope that will be all the fault of the Tories

Once again since you seem to find this concept difficult to understand. Voters are abandoning the Tory party in droves not because of UKIP but because of what the Tories under Cameron have become.

They are becoming unelectable as a party and when they fail in 2015 that will be because of Cameron and his blind supporters.
  • Options

It's to replace them.
    We are the UK's oldest political party and will still be around long after Nigel's kippers have been eaten for breakfast by Gideon's pet cat.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

And here we see the pathology of the Tories. They're so angry when they are deprived of their perceived entitlement that they will put punishing the 'traitors' ahead of what's best for the country.

• Options

It's to replace them.
    We are the UK's oldest political party and will still be around long after Nigel's kippers have been eaten for breakfast by Gideon's pet cat.
    I believe there's still a few continuity-Liberal Party councillors around.
  • Options
    Edin_Rokz said:

I thought OGH was on a cruise somewhere?

Mike Smithson retweeted

Iain Martin Iain Martin
    @iainmartin1
    Can't believe Farage forgot the EU in his conference speech...
    10:20 PM - 26 Sep 14

Except of course he didn't. Not sure why OGH is repeating this myth.
  • Options

Once again since you seem to find this concept difficult to understand. Voters are abandoning the Tory party in droves not because of UKIP but because of what the Tories under Cameron have become.

They are becoming unelectable as a party and when they fail in 2015 that will be because of Cameron and his blind supporters.
    "Britain's public finances remain in an appalling state, partly because the coalition has acted like a Labour government in protecting so much spending from both the axe and, just as importantly, from reform. "

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4217277.ece
  • Options
    I well remember when Christopher Brocklebank-Fowler defected to the SDP and we remember what happened to him a few months later. I do at least give both Carswell and Reckless the credit for having the decency to stand down and fight a by-election.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Private Eye: Threat level raised from 'Substantial Boris' to 'Severe Farage'! pic.twitter.com/VLsTq6rxcS

— UKIP Clacton (@UKIPClacton) September 27, 2014
  • Options

You keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better about Miliband in No 10.

What's the plan - Kipper MPs propping up a minority Labour government in exchange for a referendum?! (Except Nigel's gone a bit cold on the EU - he hardly mentioned it in his speech)

• Options
    Socrates said:

And here we see the pathology of the Tories. They're so angry when they are deprived of their perceived entitlement that they will put punishing the 'traitors' ahead of what's best for the country.

These are not UKIP-elected MPs in a normal election.

They are Conservative MPs; supported by the party, and voted by people supporting the Conservative party; jumping ship as they perceive their own personal careers will (they hope) be better off by doing so.

Traitors, in the circumstances, seems a reasonable word to use.

They may well win in the current difficult circumstances. Heck, Miliband may win next year in the circumstances. None of that changes what they are.

• Options

I well remember when Christopher Brocklebank-Fowler defected to the SDP and we remember what happened to him a few months later. I do at least give both Carswell and Reckless the credit for having the decency to stand down and fight a by-election.

They are learning from others' mistakes. Had the 1981 defectors stood in by-elections they mostly would have won, and had much better chances of holding their seats in 1983...
  • Options

Political treachery is making a cast iron guarantee and then breaking it.

Kippers have long memories too and we haven't forgotten or forgiven.
  • Options

Kippers hate Cameron more than they hate Miliband and vice versa.

And Kippers are increasingly incoherent in their rage and policies. I cannot see a Kipper Tory coalition working.
  • Options

I would contend that the SDP is a poor example for the current split on the Right. The SDP split towards the middle of the political spectrum. As I have always contended, most recently today, that ground is far too crowded to ever be able to support a single party on its own. That is what Cameron is finding and why he is having so much trouble now that he has abandoned his Right wing.

That is also what the SDP found. They were doomed really before they started because all it took was for the Labour party to shift towards the middle and those natural Labour supporters flowed back.

UKIP is different. They have split away from the political centre ground and as such have an easier time of it, all the more so because as others have pointed out there is a disconnect between the political centre and the middle ground amongst the general public.

This is not to say that UKIP will survive. Right now they appear to be unsure of exactly what sort of party they want to be and that is untenable in the medium term.

But I do think that using the SDP as an analogue is mistaken.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Private Eye: Threat level raised from 'Substantial Boris' to 'Severe Farage'! pic.twitter.com/VLsTq6rxcS

— UKIP Clacton (@UKIPClacton) September 27, 2014

Will Dave order air strikes against UKIP targets?

:)
  • Options

There have been 16 further defections from the Tory Party since then. Could you not find one a little more recent instead of one 33 years old to fit your narrative?
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

It's to replace them.
    The so-called continuity Liberal party is a new party created in 1989.

The Liberal Democrats are the continuation of the old Liberal party and could make a claim about being the oldest political party (whether the Liberals or Conservatives are older is a very abitrary and semantic based discussion iirc).
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Most Kippers will tell you that their job isn't to prop up the Tory Party.

It's to replace them.
    Oh, I hope that isn't true. If it were to be true then UKIP would be defining itself against another party and that would be a very bad thing to do. As I have said many times to succeed UKIP has to as acceptable on the council estate as on the private three-bed semi developments and the big houses. I think it is making progress.
  • Options

Socrates said:

They are Conservative MPs; supported by the party, and voted by people supporting the Conservative party; jumping ship as they perceive their own personal careers will (they hope) be better off by doing so.

They may well win in the current difficult circumstances. Heck, Miliband may win next year in the circumstances. None of that changes what they are.

LOL What twaddle. Politics is not about my party right or wrong but about principles. Cameron has abandoned his and that is why both the public and now his own MPs are abandoning him. I am not sure about Reckless but Carswell would have walked the next GE as a Tory. It is to his great credit he could no longer stomach the thought of doing so.

I assume you consider Churchill a traitor as well?
  • Options

Socrates said:

That would have been true if they had crossed the floor, however they have given the people who voted for them because they were Tories the opportunity to continue voting Tory.

• Options

You keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better about Miliband in No 10.

What's the plan - Kipper MPs propping up a minority Labour government in exchange for a referendum?! (Except Nigel's gone a bit cold on the EU - he hardly mentioned it in his speech)

Miliband or Cameron in No 10 makes no difference to me. They are both as bad as each other.
  • Options

And Kippers are increasingly incoherent in their rage and policies. I cannot see a Kipper Tory coalition working.
    Quite. Until such a time as the Tories are both not led by Cameron (so less than a year from now) or a leader even slightly Cameroonish, at the least, a UKIP-Tory pact could not work because they hate Cameroons more than Miliband, and would prefer no pledge for a referendum from Labour to a pledge to hold a referendum from a Cameron led Tory party. Depending on how successful they are going after disaffected Labour votes and how much a new Tory leader sucks up to them, UKIP keeping their distance from the Tories may not end even after the Cameroon era either.

It also hardly matters about assigning who is at 'fault' for Ed M becoming PM - Cameron for splitting the right further, or UKIP for, well, existing and doing well - as either way UKIP's rise plays into that happening. UKIP currently seem happy to accept that, so Tories remonstrating with them over it is unlikely to achieve anything.
  • Options

"Britain's public finances remain in an appalling state, partly because the coalition has acted like a Labour government in protecting so much spending from both the axe and, just as importantly, from reform. "

How is UKIP going to balance the budget, yet reverse the bedroom tax? I would rather stick to Labours owl promise!
  • Options
    Mort d'Arthur ‏@mortdarthur 46m
    Vote Ukip get Tory. Vote Tory get a photo of a penis. Vote LibDem get counselling.
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    Are we going to see a third defection? Would be sensational if someone quit before Cameron's speech.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    edited September 2014
    I was at the College of Law with Mark Reckless and got to know Brooks Newmark when campaigning for him in 2001 in Braintree so sad to hear the news on both fronts. But this is not the 1990s, for starters we are only 4 years into a Tory-led government, not 15 years, and Miliband is certainly no Blair at his peak and he still trails Cameron. The 35% share Labour is on tonight is also only 1% more than Kinnock got in 1992 and is not a share of a party destined to enter government. If UKIP win Heywood and Middleton it will be Miliband who also has a problem, Brooks was just caught in a rather ridiculous Mirror 'sting' on social media and he has now done the honourable thing and resigned and the privacy of he and his family should be respected at this time
  • Options
    corporeal said:

It's to replace them.

The Liberal Democrats are the continuation of the old Liberal party and could make a claim about being the oldest political party (whether the Liberals or Conservatives are older is a very abitrary and semantic based discussion iirc).
    Maybe that's legally the case, but (as I do not know), does the continuity Liberal party have a good claim to be a closer spiritual successor to the old Liberal party than the LDs? If the merger into the LDs had enough of an influence on the identity of the party, I could conceive of an technically new party adhering closer to the old views to have a claim to be the real successors.
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited September 2014

Socrates said:

If they are re-elected by their electorates then their actions will be fully vindicated. End Of Story. That you seem to put party before the voter demonstrates exactly the issue that has lost the Tories so much support and forced these MPs to defect
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Bedroom tax brings in peanuts. A better question is how to afford UKIP's income tax cuts.

How is UKIP going to balance the budget, yet reverse the bedroom tax? I would rather stick to Labours owl promise!
  • Options
    IOS said:

Are we going to see a third defection? Would be sensational if someone quit before Cameron's speech.

A third (at least) looks nailed on. Someone who has already announced their retirement, apparently...

Would be foolish for Farage to over-promise and under-deliver.
  • Options
    “The government has more important questions to deal with than whether or not Scottish MPs vote on English laws”

.....and apparently more important questions than everything Ed Miliband covered in his speech. So what?
  • Options

This is not to say that UKIP will survive. Right now they appear to be unsure of exactly what sort of party they want to be and that is untenable in the medium term.
    I think the Direct Democracy platform (if UKIP choose to embrace it!) helps them sidestep that issue. Decentralisation of political power lets voters shape policies to their liking.

• Options

Miliband or Cameron in No 10 makes no difference to me. They are both as bad as each other.
    Well they will be bad in slightly different ways I imagine, and in what areas particularly which might sway a few people one way or the other on the UKIP side, but it's hardly a surprise many do not care who wins. Still, with a Labour minority much more likely than a Tory one (even if I think Ed M will win a majority), I'm sure UKIP have some ideas in place for what they could offer as conditional support if they can get 5 MPs or so, still no easy task even with a couple at least now looking likely.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    IOS said:

At this rate Cameron will use his speech to announce he is the third defector.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Why is Cameron's rating down so much in the run up to the conference?

Pandering to the Scots?
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    kle4 said:

corporeal said:

It's to replace them.

Maybe that's legally the case, but (as I do not know), does the continuity Liberal party have a good claim to be a closer spiritual successor to the old Liberal party than the LDs? If the merger into the LDs had enough of an influence on the identity of the party, I could conceive of an technically new party adhering closer to the old views to have a claim to be the real successors.
    *shrugs*

Was New Labour the spiritual successor to Old Labour? And so on and so on (or if you're feeling mischevious, are Cameron and Blair both spiritual successors to the Alliance?)

• Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    TSE says 'For those who were optimistic that the Tories would remain in power post May 2015, today probably extinguished those hopes.'

What a daft comment. Bubble and froth.

Watch and wait.
  • Options

I think the Direct Democracy platform (if UKIP choose to embrace it!) helps them sidestep that issue. Decentralisation of political power lets voters shape policies to their liking.

I agree that would help greatly. But as with so many things my natural antipathy towards all politicians (even the ones I support) leaves me in the position of only believing it when it actually happens. Cameron and Clegg had a couple of very good political reforms written into the Coalition agreement and conveniently forgot about them.
  • Options
    Some of the LDs stand for more state control than any Liberals could claim to stomach; and some are almost as green as the authoritarians led by Bennet and Lucas.
  • Options

Socrates said:

LOL What twaddle. Politics is not about my party right or wrong but about principles. Cameron has abandoned his
    No he has just abandoned berks like you. Thankfully.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    edited September 2014
    Also went to see 'A Most Wanted Man' tonight, Philip Seymour Hoffman in one of his final performances based on the John Le Carre novel
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324
    edited September 2014
    kle4 said:

a UKIP-Tory pact could not work because they hate Cameroons more than Miliband, and would prefer no pledge for a referendum from Labour to a pledge to hold a referendum from a Cameron led Tory party.
    Yes, the raw hatred of UKIP members towards Cameron is curious. I wonder what brought it on. Yes, he was privately schooled but so was Nigel Farage. Cameron has dabbled in one policy that could be deemed progressive and anti-Christian - gay marriage. But Thatcher abolished corporal punishment in schools and introduced Sunday trading, which is surely just as bad or worse, yet most of them still adore her. No, I just can't work it out!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Generally speaking clearing out the loony fringe is no bad thing. It's preferable it happens further out, but a week is a long time in politics. Seven months is an aeon.

Whatever the tub thumpers on here may think, this will all be forgotten soon enough. I'm looking forward to proper politics next spring when UKIP will find life extremely uncomfortable.

The problem for UKIP is premature ejaculation, I think out of desperation or over-excitement.
This discussion has been closed.