Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

As world leaders gather the papers at the end of the era – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,881

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

SeanT said:

The Funeral of Prince Andrew, after this, is going to be like Police Academy 5

He doesn't deserve a funeral, it's sickening he's been given any praise or publicity during this whole thing.
    Publicity yes, praise no. His tribute to HMQ gives us a new pretext to loathe, despise and ridicule him.

"Mummy"

Thanks for the £12m.

https://news.sky.com/story/duke-of-york-pays-tribute-to-the-queen-12700540
    He shouldn't even be in the Royal Family, he should have been removed from it.
    Well he has been, that's why he's not in military uniform unlike the others.

He's still at his mother's funeral though. Can't be stripped of that.
    Charles called her Mummy too.

But really take a good hard look at yourself. He is a grieving son. Not a working Royal. Your unkind remarks at such a time about a man in mourning - like the unkind remarks people make about the Sussexes or others - say more about those making the remarks (and not in a good way) than about the targets.

A bit of common politeness would not go amiss. And if you can't be polite, try silence. Good manners cost nothing.
    Sorry @BartholomewRoberts - that was addressed to @CorrectHorseBattery not you. My apologies.
    I stand by what I said.

I've got no issue with him grieving at a funeral.

He shouldn't be a Prince and the publicity he's been given is insulting and sickening.
    Not sure there's much more they can do without getting some laws changed by Parliament (which it sounds like Charles will do).

He hasn't been convicted nor has he admitted anything illegal. And I think the site moderators are being quite generous with what they have let you say so far.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,393
    edited September 2022
    TimS said:

Watching as the trumpets play and the organ chimes in, and then the bagpipes start sounding I’m struck by how exotic Britain is.

It’s easy to imagine yourself a foreign viewer today wondering at the sheer differentness of this country and its national rituals.

I'm not really convinced by that.

Every country has their own ceremonial, often rooted in tradition, or reinvented versions of tradition.

See for example, funeral ceremonies held in the Reichstag or the Requiem Mass for French Presidents.

Or, for sheer differentness, try Chile with their pickelhaube and goosesteps inherited from the Prussian Military who retrained their armed forces more than a century ago. I think Sweden still do Pickelhaube.

Or as DA pointed out the other day, the Greeks with their interesting ceremonial uniforms.

New countries recreate their own, and to me that feels more incongruous than something developed from an historical tradition, which I put under the "life's rich tapestry" label.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

Britain's Sic transit gloria mundi moment? Or renewal and rebirth?

Possibly and even probably both. She is the last link with the Empire. But that in itself means we can now move on.
  • Options

Canadian mounties leading. Australian and New Zealanders in dress in the procession. All put armed forces. Union flags adorning both sides of the Mall.

These are Imperial scenes.

I think the Commonwealth flags line Constitution Hill from Buckingham Palace to Waterloo Arch.

The BBC earlier was interviewing a Kiwi soldier who was evidently a bit jet lagged.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

SeanT said:

He doesn't deserve a funeral, it's sickening he's been given any praise or publicity during this whole thing.
    Publicity yes, praise no. His tribute to HMQ gives us a new pretext to loathe, despise and ridicule him.

"Mummy"

Thanks for the £12m.

But really take a good hard look at yourself. He is a grieving son. Not a working Royal. Your unkind remarks at such a time about a man in mourning - like the unkind remarks people make about the Sussexes or others - say more about those making the remarks (and not in a good way) than about the targets.

A bit of common politeness would not go amiss. And if you can't be polite, try silence. Good manners cost nothing.
    Sorry @BartholomewRoberts - that was addressed to @CorrectHorseBattery not you. My apologies.
    You sure? I was the one who objected to the entitled old predator's use of the word "mummy."

The reason being, it is a child's word for mother. Fine and rhetorically effective for the adult Charles to have used it in the circs he did. Anyone not thicker than a dead pig (so not Andrew or his advisers) should be able to see that a blurring of the adult/child distinction coming from him is, ahem, inappropriate.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,482

Better consult the authoritative and totally objective New York Times for an answer to that.
  • Options
    Very fortunate with the weather, everything gleaming in the sunshine.

Wouldn't be the same if it was absolutely pissing it down like when Truss became PM and they had to bring the lectern back inside and do an extended drive around London in order to get a short break in the rain for her speech outside Number 10.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    TimS said:

This really is impressive.

I like the style of marching at events like this. Synchronised, but not excessively so in the self-parodic North Korean fashion. The French are good at that too.

The weather has behaved impeccably.

It might be the dramatic flourishes and perfection of NK style presentation that for some reason makes it seem a little unnatural, like there's no way even very well trained and choreographed troops should be so robotically in sync.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Neither really, this is Britain and the Commonwealth here and now. This is not the past. This is today. Good isn’t it?
  • Options
    Didn't watch all of it, but more than I expected. Cheers to whoever it was that suggested Sky for just the right amount of commentary without waffling.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

SeanT said:

"Mummy"

Thanks for the £12m.

I stand by what I said.

He shouldn't be a Prince and the publicity he's been given is insulting and sickening.
    Not sure there's much more they can do without getting some laws changed by Parliament (which it sounds like Charles will do).

He hasn't been convicted nor has he admitted anything illegal. And I think the site moderators are being quite generous with what they have let you say so far.
    I already said well done Charles if that is his plan. Full credit for that.

He paid a woman he's never met, he's implied he's guilty in the court of public opinion even if he legally isn't.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,862
    The sound design has been incredible
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,051
    Huw Edwards is such a simpering wretch. A very annoying commentary. If only Murray Walker were still with us for his take on the events.
  • Options
    Last time the queen was at Buckingham palace was for her balcony appearance at the Jubilee.

I'm so glad she made that. Even though I didn't expect she'd die this soon afterwards, there was a bit of a feeling it was a goodbye and Charles would be taking on most public appearances from now on.

And what a goodbye it was.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913
    Jonathan said:

Neither really, this is Britain and the Commonwealth here and now. This is not the past. This is today. Good isn’t it?
    Oh its extraordinary and so is this nation
  • Options

The gloria Britannica transited some time ago. Hopefully the mundi will last a bit longer...
  • Options
    Mr. Pete, Murray Walker's talents did indeed extend beyond F1 commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl-oAsDCGNA
  • Options
    DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    edited September 2022
    Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

SeanT said:

"Mummy"

Thanks for the £12m.

This isn't a funeral. It's a c***s' carnival, a big show of power using splendour and religion and pomp.
    The family could have decided to hold only a private funeral, and to pay for it out of their own pockets. Grieve for the old bag. Bury or cremate her carcass. Few anti-royalists would have much of a problem with that. But they don't, do they? They get their lackeys to talk about "the kingdom" and all that sh*t. Don't talk about manners. They're the rudest most vulgar scum in the country. Royalism is the apotheosis of exclusion and filthy manners, of all that is muck, worthless, surface, ludicrous, vomit, idiotic, with massive chips on its shoulders but you can't see that.
  • Options

Huw Edwards is such a simpering wretch. A very annoying commentary. If only Murray Walker were still with us for his take on the events.

From what people are saying, I'm surprised there's anyone left watching this on the BBC.

Sky are doing a very good job to be fair. Not sure who the guy is doing the (very limited) commentary but he's judging it right IMO.
  • Options
    Apparently the Sapphire atop the crown is from 1042. Anglo-Saxon.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,731
    Many in the procession still have the ER insignia . So will this no longer be the case from tomorrow .
  • Options
    edited September 2022

She's outdeaded herself! And now that is Prince Michael of Kent unless I'm very much mistaken...I am very much mistaken, it's actually the President of Gabon, Ali Bongo Ondimba.
  • Options

Why I switched to ITV - same pictures as far as I can tell - just A LOT less commentary.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

The view down the Mall just now - stunning.

Hopefully it will be open for me to cycle to work tomorrow!
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Many in the procession still have the ER insignia . So will this no longer be the case from tomorrow .

I think that they have until the coronation to change the uniforms. In heraldic terms, until then we are still transitioning from one reign to another.

But they will have to be changed for that, obviously!
  • Options
    nico679 said:

I think they need to design the C III R insignia still, and Charles has authorised the E II R insignia to continue to be used in the meantime. It was part of the Privy Council proclamation ceremony that they did.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Dynamo said:

Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

SeanT said:

"Mummy"

Thanks for the £12m.

This isn't a funeral. It's a c***s' carnival, a big show of power using splendour and religion and pomp.
    The family could have decided to hold only a private funeral, and to pay for it out of their own pockets. Grieve for the old bag. Bury or cremate her carcass. Few anti-royalists would have much of a problem with that. But they don't, do they? They get their lackeys to talk about "the kingdom" and all that sh*t. Don't talk about manners. They're the rudest most vulgar scum in the country. Royalism is the apotheosis of exclusion and filthy manners.
    I won't talk about manners.

What I will talk about is that Head of State funerals are generally paid for by the State, whetever the type of state. So it is a bit silly to think the individual would pay.

Glad you recognise the splendour though.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited September 2022

Jonathan said:

Oh its extraordinary and so is this nation
    Well quite. We give ourselves a hard time, but this is good as anything that went before, if not better. This is our generation doing things right. Enjoy the moment.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,862

Why I switched to ITV - same pictures as far as I can tell - just A LOT less commentary.
    The ITV commentary has been sparse, and informative
  • Options
    Mr. Roberts, it's Alistair[sp] Bruce, who does a lot of things of this nature for Sky, I think. He's very good, knows his beans but doesn't love the sound of his own voice.
  • Options

Sky's coverage has been impeccable
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    I hope Kate becomes Colonel in Chief of some regiment. Anne looks great in uniform. Better than most the men. And Kate would too.
  • Options

The gloria Britannica transited some time ago. Hopefully the mundi will last a bit longer...
    I believe i disagree with the former sentence
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

I find the marching before and after even more impressive to be honest.

Right to the end The Queen was thinking: what is good for the United Kingdom?

THIS

I genuinely wonder if she died in Scotland *to reinforce the union*

Seriously. She must have known she was close. So why not make the final act of her life a way of reinforcing the UK?

What a woman

*bows head*
    Absolutely heaving at the big screen in Edinburgh

https://twitter.com/julietdunlop/status/1571770922037657603
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Dynamo said:

Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

SeanT said:

"Mummy"

Thanks for the £12m.

The family could have decided to hold only a private funeral, and to pay for it out of their own pockets. Grieve for the old bag. Bury or cremate her carcass. Few anti-royalists would have much of a problem with that. But they don't, do they? They get their lackeys to talk about "the kingdom" and all that sh*t. Don't talk about manners. They're the rudest most vulgar scum in the country. Royalism is the apotheosis of exclusion and filthy manners.
    She was the monarch, not a private individual.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Dynamo said:

Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

SeanT said:

"Mummy"

Thanks for the £12m.

I won't talk about manners.

What I will talk about is that Head of State funerals are generally paid for by the State, whetever the type of state. So it is a bit silly to think the individual would pay.

Glad you recognise the splendour though.
    I hope Putin's won't be. He's nicked enough from the Russians. Their money, resources, land, young men, reputation and future is enough without a funeral on top.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I love the Cenotaph, it is an excellent memorial.

It's not a memorial, it's a cenotaph. An empty tomb.
    Top class pedantry!
    Hmm. That's a bit of technical meaning that needs supplementing, perhaps. It functions as a memorial.

a sepulchral monument erected in memory of a deceased person whose body is buried elsewhere.

That says "memorial" to me.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Eabhal said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

SeanT said:

"Mummy"

Thanks for the £12m.

I stand by what I said.

The grand old Duke of York
    He had 12 million quid
    He gave it to someone he never met
    For something he never did.
    I obviously get all that. The legalities are just a bit awkward. I think just the association with Epstein post conviction is enough to boot him out entirely but I get why it hasn't happened.
  • Options
    Ooops. I'm in trouble.

Just reminded an #FBPE on Twitter that we left the EU because we voted to do so.

:smile:
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,482
    edited September 2022
    MattW said:

TimS said:

Watching as the trumpets play and the organ chimes in, and then the bagpipes start sounding I’m struck by how exotic Britain is.

It’s easy to imagine yourself a foreign viewer today wondering at the sheer differentness of this country and its national rituals.

Every country has their own ceremonial, often rooted in tradition, or reinvented versions of tradition.

See for example, funeral ceremonies held in the Reichstag or the Requiem Mass for French Presidents.

Or, for sheer differentness, try Chile with their pickelhaube and goosesteps inherited from the Prussian Military who retrained their armed forces more than a century ago. I think Sweden still do Pickelhaube.

Or as DA pointed out the other day, the Greeks with their interesting ceremonial uniforms.

New countries recreate their own, and to me that feels more incongruous than something developed from an historical tradition, which I put under the "life's rich tapestry" label.

Consider the sheer breadth of exoticism on display today though. Not just funny uniforms.

We have one of dozens of full time cathedral choirs with cassocked choristers, something that scarcely exists elsewhere except in a handful of large cities. Singing English choral music that nobody foreign will recognise.

Bagpipes, immediately transporting the viewer to some craggy highland moor.

A whole panoply of funny uniforms with their own stories. I noticed the beefeaters were there for example.

A royal family with celebrity members.

As well as driving on the left, pubs and all the other stuff.

• Options

I hope Kate becomes Colonel in Chief of some regiment. Anne looks great in uniform. Better than most the men. And Kate would too.

Speaking of which, several of the ratings pulling the gun carriage were women. I take it that's another first? Or did the Queen Mother have some women in her procession too?
  • Options
    MattW said:

Ooops. I'm in trouble.

Just reminded an #FBPE on Twitter that we left the EU because we voted to do so.

Snicker. E who?
  • Options
    TimS said:

MattW said:

TimS said:

Consider the sheer breadth of exoticism on display today though. Not just funny uniforms.

We have dozens of full time cathedral choirs with cassocked choristers, something that scarcely exists elsewhere except in a handful of large cities. Singing English choral music that nobody foreign will recognise.

Bagpipes, immediately transporting the viewer to some craggy highland moor.

A whole panoply of funny uniforms with their own stories. I noticed the beefeaters were there for example.

A royal family with celebrity members.

As well as driving on the left, pubs and all the other stuff.

Not beefeaters. I've got 24 Wikipedia tabs open so far.
  • Options
    MattW said:

kle4 said:

I love the Cenotaph, it is an excellent memorial.

It's not a memorial, it's a cenotaph. An empty tomb.
    Top class pedantry!
    Hmm. That's a bit of technical meaning that needs supplementing, perhaps. It functions as a memorial.

a sepulchral monument erected in memory of a deceased person whose body is buried elsewhere.

That says "memorial" to me.
    Counter pedantry, it's all kicking off!
  • Options

From what people are saying, I'm surprised there's anyone left watching this on the BBC.

Sky are doing a very good job to be fair. Not sure who the guy is doing the (very limited) commentary but he's judging it right IMO.
    I listened to Keane bringing the Queen out of the Abbey and he had just the right gravitas, before this idiot took over. Michael Mates' son was on ITV, and he was better than Edwards.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

The ITV commentary has been sparse, and informative
    iPlayer has a "no comentary" stream for those who prefer that.
    Dr Palmer, you are a legend. That's much better.
  • Options

Dynamo said:

Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

SeanT said:

"Mummy"

Thanks for the £12m.

The family could have decided to hold only a private funeral, and to pay for it out of their own pockets. Grieve for the old bag. Bury or cremate her carcass. Few anti-royalists would have much of a problem with that. But they don't, do they? They get their lackeys to talk about "the kingdom" and all that sh*t. Don't talk about manners. They're the rudest most vulgar scum in the country. Royalism is the apotheosis of exclusion and filthy manners, of all that is muck, worthless, surface, ludicrous, vomit, idiotic, with massive chips on its shoulders but you can't see that.
    Don't worry, when Putin accidentally falls out of a window next month, I'm sure your nation's funeral for him will be much more restrained and cut back.
    Lots of oiled muscular men on horseback and a bear in a tutu
  • Options
    nico679 said:

There’s a lot to be changed - I expect it all will be by the Coronation.
  • Options
    Tall bloke is tall.
  • Options

That is OK. I have no objection to people disagreeing with me. It happens on here all the time...
  • Options

That is OK. I have no objection to people disagreeing with me. It happens on here all the time...
    I find the same. It is cathartic and right.
  • Options
    TV coverage has been very sparing of shots of the immediate family in the cortège - I wonder if (understandably) they asked for a little privacy?
  • Options

nico679 said:

I think they need to design the C III R insignia still, and Charles has authorised the E II R insignia to continue to be used in the meantime. It was part of the Privy Council proclamation ceremony that they did.
    Along with authorising the use of the various seals including the Great Seal until new ones are made, which I would guess will take a couple of months.
  • Options

Dynamo said:

Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

SeanT said:

"Mummy"

Thanks for the £12m.

Don't worry, when Putin accidentally falls out of a window next month, I'm sure your nation's funeral for him will be much more restrained and cut back.
    Lots of oiled muscular men on horseback and a bear in a tutu
    Odd to invite Boris Johnson over considering we didn't invite any Russians to this.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

I listened to Keane bringing the Queen out of the Abbey and he had just the right gravitas, before this idiot took over. Michael Mates' son was on ITV, and he was better than Edwards.
    Did a double take there, had to wonder what "Somewhere Only We Know" or "Bedshaped" had to do with anything...
  • Options
    SeanTSeanT Posts: 549
    MattW said:

TimS said:

No, there is nothing like this anywhere in the world

For a start, within living memory this monarch ruled 1/4 of humans and colonised others - especially in their heads. And this monarchy is 1400 years old

This is the world if Imperial Japan married ancient Rome
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TimS said:

I like the style of marching at events like this. Synchronised, but not excessively so in the self-parodic North Korean fashion. The French are good at that too.

It might be the dramatic flourishes and perfection of NK style presentation that for some reason makes it seem a little unnatural, like there's no way even very well trained and choreographed troops should be so robotically in sync.
    Sure, the royalist British regime gets its ceremonial act just so right. Not too perfect, mind you. It's not like in North Korea where ceremonial training is technically better. And that's what makes it so natural. It's better than anything any parliamentary republic could possibly muster. It's a wonderful loveliness that brings together the splendid and the real. In every way, it's just right. Even when it's less than right, that's something that makes it even righter. Bravo. God save the king.

Listen to yourself.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,224
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Jonathan said:

Is the airspace over London closed today? The security implications of today are mind boggling.

Just looked - there is a NOTAM closing off airspace for the funeral. Plus another one warning that GPS jamming may be in use in the same area, so UAVs will have issues.
    GPS jamming? So if you opened Google Maps it wouldn't know where you are?

How does that work, isn't your phone looking for a satellite in the sky? Fascinating.
    Hope it's ok with Big G if I answer this...

They (the USA) use BFEA on the satellites to degrade the L1 C/A signal but M-Code (the US military signal) uses a different modulation type and is unaffected. The only people with functioning GNSS in this scenario right now are using Galileo, GLONASS or US sanctioned M-Code receivers.
    My iPhone would work then, it uses Galileo and GLONASS
    Not if the jamming of the frequencies used is local.
    Thought the point being made was that it's not, if it is then clearly yes makes sense. Thanks for the insight.

My new iPhone is supposed to have much better GPS reception than previous, I will see next week, I am sure nobody cares :)
    There were several posts before this saying it could either be the satellite signal degraded, or the radio frequencies jammed locally. The latter seems much more likely.
    IIRC the use of satellite based degradation of accuracy was discontinued for GPS. The equipment for that was not added to the most recent generations of satellites. The US military relies on more local jamming - literally jamming the “open” signal data.

As a couple of posters have mentioned, this is practised fairly often in training.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Looks quite warm out there. Hope Andrew doesn't start to sweat...
  • Options
    MattW said:

Ooops. I'm in trouble.

Now is not the time.

Just channelling my inner BigG
  • Options

nico679 said:

There’s a lot to be changed - I expect it all will be by the Coronation.
    I belueve the official end comes with the breaking of the staff in the Windsor ceremony, then we really are post Elizabethan
  • Options
    All lining up on parade at Wellington Arch. Love it.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Dynamo said:

kle4 said:

TimS said:

Sure, the royalist British regime gets its ceremonial act just so right. Not too perfect, mind you. It's not like in North Korea where ceremonial training is technically better. And that's what makes it so natural. It's better than anything any parliamentary republic could possibly muster. It's a wonderful loveliness that brings together the splendid and the real. In every way, it's just right. Even when it's less than right, that's something that makes it even righter. Bravo. God save the king.

Listen to yourself.
    Before I listen to myself, perhaps you should read what I wrote first, rather than what you would like to pretend I wrote.

You won't find that I said anything about it 'being better than anything any parliamentary republic could possibly muster'.

In fact, it was in reply to a comment which said the French were also good at this sort of thing, and thus was implicitly in agreement with that point.

And it was a comment specifically about style of marching (as was the comment I replied to), rather than the whole ceremonial procession and surrounding event. I was thinking in particular of ridiculously high leg movements in marching, like those India-Pakistan border guards.

I've said it before, you need to try a little less hard with this stuff, you cannot just make up what people are saying and attack that.
  • Options
    I'd like to see what's going on at the Abbey. But I guess that's for the highlights show later.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

£5 a head a year, some republican was whining the RF costs us.

I feel I've had £5 worth this morning.

But we could spend that on the NHS instead.
  • Options

Dynamo said:

Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

SeanT said:

"Mummy"

Thanks for the £12m.

Why do you call this person a Russian troll when he's not said anything pro-Russia? Just because you don't like what he says.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,289
    edited September 2022
    Genuinely feel sorry for Andrew and Harry here.

They actually fought in wars whereas Anne, Charles, and Edward didn’t fight in wars get to wear military uniforms they did not earn.
  • Options
    I'm actually having more trouble processing William as the Prince of Wales than Charles as the King.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Ooops. I'm in trouble.

I am sure Big G will be along to tell you off, or is it just me because he doesn't like my politics. Let's see
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,130

I'd like to see what's going on at the Abbey. But I guess that's for the highlights show later.

Anyone know why Biden was about 14 rows back behind the Polish PM? Surely the Royals have forgiven that little misunderstanding in 1777 by now.
  • Options

MattW said:

Ooops. I'm in trouble.

Now is not the time.

Just channelling my inner BigG
    Big G is such a Karen.
  • Options
    The Queen had the respect even of the anti-monarchists. Charles does not. So either he very quickly starts hacking away at the firm to make it fit for the fuure, or he will lose the people.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The trumpets! The trumpets!

That descant was just fecking amazing. Really moving and uplifting.
  • Options

I've turned to ITV. It is significantly more subdued. Defund the BBC.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

But we could spend that on the NHS instead.
    The NHS wouldn't get anywhere near this amount of value out of £5.
  • Options
    Impressive in its own way that even when there's no traffic they're still going the right way round the roundabout even though it's three times as far!
  • Options

Dynamo said:

Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

SeanT said:

"Mummy"

Thanks for the £12m.

Why do you call this person a Russian troll when he's not said anything pro-Russia? Just because you don't like what he says.
    Because he's the latest in a string of Russian trolls, with a very distinctive style. Like one of his nation's nesting dolls, there'll be another along soon no doubt.
  • Options
    SeanTSeanT Posts: 549
    Alistair said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

I find the marching before and after even more impressive to be honest.

Right to the end The Queen was thinking: what is good for the United Kingdom?

THIS

I genuinely wonder if she died in Scotland *to reinforce the union*

Seriously. She must have known she was close. So why not make the final act of her life a way of reinforcing the UK?

What a woman

*bows head*
    Absolutely heaving at the big screen in Edinburgh

https://twitter.com/julietdunlop/status/1571770922037657603
    Holyrood just now

• Options
    Today has been an amazing spectacle even the most cynical should accept and it has shown our country at its best

I expect it has benefitted the monarchy and the union

The coronation next year will be another spectacular event
  • Options

Dynamo said:

Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

SeanT said:

"Mummy"

Thanks for the £12m.

Because he's the latest in a string of Russian trolls, with a very distinctive style. Like one of his nation's nesting dolls, there'll be another along soon no doubt.
    What has he said that is pro Russia?

He doesn't like the monarchy, you don't like the monarchy. Are you a Russian troll?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,130
    ydoethur said:

Impressive in its own way that even when there's no traffic they're still going the right way round the roundabout even though it's three times as far!

The choreography of this is incredible.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    ydoethur said:

Hope they indicate at their exit. People who don't do this annoy the shit out of me (especially if I've had to come to a halt on my bike).
  • Options

Today has been an amazing spectacle even the most cynical should accept and it has shown our country at its best

Why? Why do people have to accept what you want them to? Isn't this something you are opposed to?

I think it's been a rather nice ceremony but it doesn't mean people should have to accept it just because you do.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

I really need to know the costs for presidential ceremony and protection before I formed a view on a 'cost effective' Head of State argument. I'd assume it would be less, as a bit fewer ceremonies and not as many people involved, but some elected Heads of State are very extravagant indeed, with the palaces and personal guards etc.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    edited September 2022
    Top stories on The Straits Times:

https://www.straitstimes.com/global

Singapore became a republic nearly 60 years ago.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

I really need to know the costs for presidential ceremony and protection before I formed a view on a 'cost effective' Head of State argument. I'd assume it would be less, as a bit fewer ceremonies and not as many people involved, but some elected Heads of State are very extravagant indeed, with the palaces and personal guards etc.
    Might be more, depending on what happened to the Crown Estates and the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall.

Equally, it would only be one family, not an extended one.
  • Options
    Dynamo said:

kle4 said:

TimS said:

Listen to yourself.
    Her Majesty's life was one of unremitting SERVICE, do you hear?

Unrelatedly, she gave royal warrants to Dubonnet, Bacardi (for Martini Vermouth), Gordon's gin, Berry Bros & Rudd, and SEVEN Champagne houses – Bollinger, Mumm, Krug, Lanson, Roederer, Moët & Chandon and Veuve Clicquot.

Austerity.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    edited September 2022

It will but it will not be on this scale, certainly not globally. Nor on the scale of the Queen's own coronation in 1953.

She was truly our last imperial monarch. Charles, William and George will be monarchs more in the style of the Scandinavian, Dutch and Spanish monarchies
  • Options

Genuinely feel sorry for Andrew and Harry here.

They actually fought in wars whereas Anne, Charles, and Edward didn’t fight in wars get to wear military uniforms they did not earn.

Charles hated his service and couldn't wait to leave and Edward left after 5 minutes to be "really useful".
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Why? Why do people have to accept what you want them to? Isn't this something you are opposed to?

I think it's been a rather nice ceremony but it doesn't mean people should have to accept it just because you do.
    I interpreted that as it is likely the most cynical will accept, not that they must accept.
  • Options
    People think King Charles' security officer has a gun disguised as an umbrella

King Charles' viral bodyguard has been compared to a Kingsman character

http://www.ladbible.com/news/king-charles-security-gun-disguised-umbrella-20220918
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Dynamo said:

kle4 said:

TimS said:

Listen to yourself.

Unrelatedly, she gave royal warrants to Dubonnet, Bacardi (for Martini Vermouth), Gordon's gin, Berry Bros & Rudd, and SEVEN Champagne houses – Bollinger, Mumm, Krug, Lanson, Roederer, Moët & Chandon and Veuve Clicquot.

Austerity.
    Ishmael you are such a fascinating poster.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Dynamo said:

kle4 said:

TimS said:

Listen to yourself.

Austerity.
    Service is a lot easier to do if you are gently sloshed. Based on Dura Ace's stories about the armed forces that might be literally true for much of them.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

Scott_xP said:

Each toll of the bell underpinned by the sub-bass thud of the gun salute.

It's sublime

It's perfect.

Also, how they went under the arch into Horseguard with inches to spare on either side, but in perfect time and precision.
    Her His Majesty's United Kingdom - most of its citizens subjects are in huge debt from when they're 18 until they're about 50, Oxford Street has to call in "American Candy Stores" because it's better than having everything boarded up, 454 British lives were lost fighting an unwinnable 20 year war in Afghanistan (from which they couldn't even manage to withdraw in good order), but f*ck, can that kingdom wheel a coffin underneath an arch!
  • Options

G. No one does pomp and circumstance like we do.

Hats off!

We can check the invoice later.
This discussion has been closed.