Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

As world leaders gather the papers at the end of the era – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,598
    edited September 2022
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

I wonder if anyone has spotted the irony of a hymn that includes 'Thy throne shall never, like Earth's proud empires, pass away?'

Not sure I see the irony. The Queen was devout. And almost certainly chose that hymn.
    I was thinking that this is, very literally, the passing of the last vestige of an Empire, but the implication could almost be the Throne will endure beyond it.
    On a theological point of order, isn't that the Divine throne?

Psalm 47:7-9

7 For God is the King of all the earth: sing ye praises with understanding.

8 God reigneth over the heathen: God sitteth upon the throne of his holiness.

9 The princes of the people are gathered together, even the people of the God of Abraham: for the shields of the earth belong unto God: he is greatly exalted.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

You're a moderator are you? Funny how you're in favour of cancel culture when it suits you.

You enjoy the funeral, I can post what I like assuming the moderation team is okay with it.
    You can, and the rest of us can judge you for it.

You mention the moderation team, but why are you number 3?
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,176
    Tough reading to give an amateur, that one.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

That was horrendously spoken lol

Thoguht she did pretty well myself. Clear, not wooden or monotone.
    She's done worse, I'll give you that.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,882

At The King's request, the wreath contains foliage of Rosemary, English Oak and Myrtle (cut from a plant grown from Myrtle in The Queen's wedding bouquet) and flowers, in shades of gold, pink and deep burgundy, with touches of white, cut from the gardens of Royal Residences.

https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/status/1571805807196655617

The wreath is really beautiful. For me it's the star of the funeral so far.
    Reminds me of the bright colours the Queen always wore
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,658
    This may literally be true, but it often feels like most hymns were not designed to be sung to the tunes they are connected with.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,086

You're a moderator are you? Funny how you're in favour of cancel culture when it suits you.

You enjoy the funeral, I can post what I like assuming the moderation team is okay with it.
    There is a time and place and now is not the time
    You can just ignore if you so desire.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,116
    Another very Scottish piece now.

Crimond was popularised as in effect the signature tune of the Glasgow Orpheus Choir in the years after the First World War. Rediscovered by one of its members, they began to sing it as they unrobed after concerts, bringing it Hugh Roberton's attention. it was rewritten to become the final piece in almost all their later concerts. Sung unaccompanied, of course, as in verse 3 here.
  • Options
    Roger said:

If you’re watching the BBC I’d suggest trying ITV - very little commentary.

The BBC mercifully has none at all.

I can't help picturing the director saying 'I want a top shot'.

And the rigger replying 'You've gotta be joking!'

'.....Ok but you better bloody use it!'

.....And have they used it! Every third shot looks like a chess board
    The camera work has been good, some dramatic shots and pans.
  • Options
    Driver said:

You are the most pointless poster here, your MO is to tell people off. I've never seen you contribute a single intelligent or original thought. You can get to fuck now matey.
  • Options

Vicar of Dibley theme now

No it isn't. That was written by Goodall.
  • Options
    The unspoken question on everyone's lips.

Where the fcuk is Paddington?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,947
    kle4 said:

Thoguht she did pretty well myself. Clear, not wooden or monotone.
    Although the passage itself?
    Makes no sense whatsoever to the average punter. One of the least poetic and uplifting possible.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    edited September 2022

Two quick thoughts:

Those choristers are good (not that I am an expert). And what an event to be part of, so young;
    and BBC2 has the service signed. It's funny seeing the signing guy signing the hymns...

He's not on BBC1.

Edit: Apols, you specified BBC2.

• Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    Jonathan said:

Is the airspace over London closed today? The security implications of today are mind boggling.

Just looked - there is a NOTAM closing off airspace for the funeral. Plus another one warning that GPS jamming may be in use in the same area, so UAVs will have issues.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    In the nicest possible way, Our Lord was a complete nutter wasn't he? The stone cold literal minded certainty of the passage Truss has just read - it's not Thomas you worry about, it's the rest of them.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Is the airspace over London closed today? The security implications of today are mind boggling.

Just looked - there is a NOTAM closing off airspace for the funeral. Plus another one warning that GPS jamming may be in use in the same area, so UAVs will have issues.
    GPS jamming? So if you opened Google Maps it wouldn't know where you are?

How does that work, isn't your phone looking for a satellite in the sky? Fascinating.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

I wonder if anyone has spotted the irony of a hymn that includes 'Thy throne shall never, like Earth's proud empires, pass away?'

Not sure I see the irony. The Queen was devout. And almost certainly chose that hymn.
    I was thinking that this is, very literally, the passing of the last vestige of an Empire, but the implication could almost be the Throne will endure beyond it.
    On a theological point of order, isn't that the Divine throne?

Psalm 47:7-9

7 For God is the King of all the earth: sing ye praises with understanding.

8 God reigneth over the heathen: God sitteth upon the throne of his holiness.

9 The princes of the people are gathered together, even the people of the God of Abraham: for the shields of the earth belong unto God: he is greatly exalted.
    Yes, which is another place where irony comes in.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

This sublime music is bringing me close to tears. Or it might be the English fizz

The Queen is departing the world: with predictably impeccable taste

Jesus actual Sean is back
  • Options
    edited September 2022

The unspoken question on everyone's lips.

Where the fcuk is Paddington?

The one between Marylebone and Euston.

Edit: actually quite a few folk asking that, sort of. The wires came down between it and Reading this morning. Poor folk.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,365
    kle4 said:

This may literally be true, but it often feels like most hymns were not designed to be sung to the tunes they are connected with.

I was thinking exactly the same thing! The tunes of hynns are something Christianity hasn't really got right. I understand the principle of communal singing engensering togetherness, but it has to be a tune which is a) easy and b) enjoyable to sing. Otherwise everyone is just grimly lookinh forward to the end of it.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Jonathan said:

How does that work, isn't your phone looking for a satellite in the sky? Fascinating.
    Either they are modifying the signals of the satellites themselves (unlikely) or they are producing interference in the area which disrupts the signal.
  • Options
    Roger said:

I can't help picturing the director saying 'I want a top shot'.

And the rigger replying 'You've gotta be joking!'

'.....Ok but you better bloody use it!'

.....And have they used it! Every third shot looks like a chess board
    Yes, after my earlier whinge, I'd say the coverage is now spot on.
  • Options
    This is trough Welby: mogadon man on mogadon stuff.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kle4 said:

I was thinking exactly the same thing! The tunes of hynns are something Christianity hasn't really got right. I understand the principle of communal singing engensering togetherness, but it has to be a tune which is a) easy and b) enjoyable to sing. Otherwise everyone is just grimly lookinh forward to the end of it.
    In the case of Wesley, the words were written to fit popular tunes.

Later, generally, the words predated the tunes, as in the case of both hymns we've had so far, and the tunes were actually written to fit them.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,867
    NEW Details of the sustainable symbolic floral wreath on the #Queen’s coffin, selected at the #King’s request from the gardens at Buckingham Palace, Clarence House and Highgrove, including some of #QueenElizabethII’s favourite blooms https://twitter.com/RoyaNikkhah/status/1571798383366488064/photo/1
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,579
    edited September 2022
    Roger said:

It’s stopped has it? Before it was cutting back and forth to talking heads with Huw Edwards saying “Commonwealth leaders are arriving at the Abbey” while ITV was actually showing them.

Nice touch, English hymn with Scottish melody.

As was remarked at the Jubilee, with the late Queen’s attention to detail, nothing happens by chance.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

kle4 said:

Later, generally, the words predated the tunes, as in the case of both hymns we've had so far, and the tunes were actually written to fit them.
    Not always simply it has to be said - some complicated notes for each word sometimes.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

SeanT said:

This sublime music is bringing me close to tears. Or it might be the English fizz

He is risen!
    Alleluia!
    A seminal day indeed.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/theipaper/status/1571808487834787840

The Palace reportedly asked the Prince and Princess of Wales to consider bringing Prince George because of the message it sends to the public, as he is the future king

William and Kate are understood to have thought “very carefully” about how much to involve their children

Lovely, using a child for PR opportunities.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    END THE MONARCHY
  • Options

I thought you didn't care about this?

I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying hearing Liz Truss speak. A voice I can recognise. Much more relatable - to me - than any of her predecessors.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,966
    ydoethur said:

Your reminder this could have been Boris Johnson if the queen had died 72 hours earlier.

Can you imagine him losing his place in the middle of the reading and waffling on about Peppa Pig instead?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

END THE MONARCHY

Can we have the coronation first at least, just so we can say we saw one?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    Was that a dig at Vlad!?
  • Options
    "From a song by Vera Lynn." Never knew that. This isn't bloody Popmaster, mate.
  • Options

The Palace reportedly asked the Prince and Princess of Wales to consider bringing Prince George because of the message it sends to the public, as he is the future king

William and Kate are understood to have thought “very carefully” about how much to involve their children

Children never go to funerals of course.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Hello. You must be new here. Welcome.
  • Options
    Driver said:

I am not a number. I am a free man!
  • Options
    Cookie said:

I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying hearing Liz Truss speak. A voice I can recognise. Much more relatable - to me - than any of her predecessors.
    I don't care, I'm totally ambivalent about the Royal Family and the Monarchy in general. I have no interest in seeing them removed or replaced as it won't actually do anything.

But I am perfectly entitled to comment on stuff that's going on, however much other people are trying to say I can't or shouldn't.

It's a very sad event clearly and I am sorry for the loss of the Queen - but it doesn't mean I have to not comment
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Various ways it can be done. They test it every so often; I've had GPS go squiffy on me whilst walking near the Norfolk ranges.

There are a multitude of ways it can be done; either via the satellites themselves (though that requires the US to do it), but with GLOSNASS, GALLILEO and the other GNSS systems that's not really a workable approach any more.

The most 'obvious' technique is to broadcast other signals that interfere with, or even spoof, the very weak signals coming from the satellites. (Spoofing means that it could persuade you that you are a long way from where you actually are, rather than just drowning out the signals).

All cool stuff, really. The maths behind it is apparently fascinating (and way above my pay grade).
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Your reminder this could have been Boris Johnson if the queen had died 72 hours earlier.

Can you imagine him losing his place in the middle of the reading and waffling on about Peppa Pig instead?
    All too easily.

On a different subject, the wreath is a very beautiful piece of work and tastefully done. Respect to everyone involved.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

I enjoyed the two footed tackle on his fellow Etonian in the middle of it though. Very nicely done.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

END THE MONARCHY

But it needs a recipe to at least match coronation chicken, or its the last one.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

END THE MONARCHY

Should we also have a communist dictatorship first, just so we can say we had seen one of those, too? My vote is no, no thanks.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

All too easily.

On a different subject, the wreath is a very beautiful piece of work and tastefully done. Respect to everyone involved.
    It is absolutely glorious isn't it.
  • Options
    This anthem, which was written by the Atheist and Darwinist Hubert Parry, was one of his 'Songs of Farewell' to commemorate six of his pupils who died in the First World War. They were among his last works as he died in 1918.

Instructive that he chose religious texts despite his intense dislike of religion, but quite staggering to think it was about 10 years before the Queen was born and is now well over 100 years old.
  • Options
    SeanTSeanT Posts: 549

SeanT said:

I have come amongst you; but verily, I shall not tarry
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,922

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

END THE MONARCHY

But it needs a recipe to at least match coronation chicken, or its the last one.
    Coronation Rice Krispie squares
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I have come amongst you; but verily, I shall not tarry
    Have you had more accounts than me?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

END THE MONARCHY

Should we also have a communist dictatorship first, just so we can say we had seen one of those, too? My vote is no, no thanks.
    Don't forget the Welsh one for the younger one.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

END THE MONARCHY

Yes, an extravagant one off ceremony is totally the same thing as a dictatorship, I can see that now.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    kle4 said:

Children never go to funerals of course.
    Parents always think carefully about it before deciding.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

kle4 said:

Not always simply it has to be said - some complicated notes for each word sometimes.
    IMHO Wesley hymns have never been surpassed.
  • Options
    The central equations that govern our modern world:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell's_equations
  • Options
    edited September 2022

Cookie said:

I don't care, I'm totally ambivalent about the Royal Family and the Monarchy in general. I have no interest in seeing them removed or replaced as it won't actually do anything.

But I am perfectly entitled to comment on stuff that's going on, however much other people are trying to say I can't or shouldn't.

It's a very sad event clearly and I am sorry for the loss of the Queen - but it doesn't mean I have to not comment
    But which scenario is more boring:

1. A boring thing happens

2. A boring thing happens AND CHB says

This is boring
    I find this boring
    Boring, this is
    6 letters, also means drilling through earth
    BORING

every 10th post in every thread?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

SeanT said:

He is risen!
    Alleluia!
    I need to poke my finger in his wound, just to be sure.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

https://notaminfo.com/explain?id=1855710 For the first.

https://notaminfo.com/explain?id=1855123 , https://notaminfo.com/explain?id=1852795 , https://notaminfo.com/explain?id=1852300 for the second.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

I enjoyed the two footed tackle on his fellow Etonian in the middle of it though. Very nicely done.
    I must have nodded off, how did that work?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

This is boring
    I find this boring
    Boring, this is
    BORING

You can just scroll past mate.

The hymns are pretty good tbf
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

This is boring
    I find this boring
    Boring, this is
    BORING

You are so bored of the service, you are watching it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

END THE MONARCHY

Yes, an extravagant one off ceremony is totally the same thing as a dictatorship, I can see that now.
    Your FOMO is making you read things that aren't there.
    A coronation is stupid. You don't need to see one to know that.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

All too easily.

It’s all glorious. This is why you have funerals. And, ideally, why you have beautiful funerals in Gothic abbeys with fluting English choirs: the beauty heals

• Options

Driver said:

I am not a number. I am a free man!
    Three above Patrick McGoohan. That’s impressive!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,158
    Eabhal said:

At The King's request, the wreath contains foliage of Rosemary, English Oak and Myrtle (cut from a plant grown from Myrtle in The Queen's wedding bouquet) and flowers, in shades of gold, pink and deep burgundy, with touches of white, cut from the gardens of Royal Residences.

https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/status/1571805807196655617

The wreath is really beautiful. For me it's the star of the funeral so far.
    Reminds me of the bright colours the Queen always wore
    It is stunning.

Although I'm an atheist I went to an Anglican school and was part of the Chapel Choir, as I loved singing.

Still love the sound of hymns. There's something special and moving about it I can really respect even as atheist.

So do I. My son was in the school choir and still loves the hymns he learnt.

Communal singing is special.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

This is boring
    I find this boring
    Boring, this is
    BORING

I don't know. It's very helpful in making up my mind.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Transmit a radio signal strongly on the same frequency and drown out the signal from the satellite, or spoof it if you have the right codes.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

SeanT said:

He is risen!
    Alleluia!
    I need to poke my finger in his wound, just to be sure.
    Fan to James Joyce: May I kiss the hand that wrote Ulysses?

JJ: Certainly not, it did a lot of other things.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

This is boring
    I find this boring
    Boring, this is
    BORING

You are so bored of the service, you are watching it.
    Never said I was bored of the service.

I don't think I ever said I was bored at all, it's gone on far too long the whole thing and it's over the top but people can like or be part of what they want.

What I don't like is posters here - not you - telling me that I can't post stuff on a political site, about politics!
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    This ceremony has got a bit of the Anglican All Stars about it.
    Protestant first XI
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,925

ydoethur said:

With his ill-fitting suit and scruffy hair.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

An attack on those who "cling to power" - maybe he had no one specific in mind but it certainly put a particular recent example of that in my mind.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

He said a benevolent, modest supreme ruler is better than a ghastly one who imposes themselves.

I thought it was a dig at Vlad.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    This is all a bit too christian for me
  • Options
    Perfect funereal weather here. Grey and drizzly has suddenly given way to sparkly and bright. Hopefully something similar in Westminster this afternoon.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,867
    Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby: “Those who serve will be loved and remembered longer than those who cling to power and privilege are long forgotten”.
    https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1571811379702546434
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Protestant first XI

That would be an ecumenical matter.
  • Options

Turn it off. Don't encourage them.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

END THE MONARCHY

And perhaps you need to lighten up (and as you've done so before, don't pretend that is being told you cannot say something so you can play a martyr) and not take what was already clearly a joke so seriously. I would not mind if we forwent coronations, we have other ceremonials.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Protestant first XI

That would be an ecumenical matter.
    It has Jack to do with that.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby: “Those who serve will be loved and remembered longer than those who cling to power and privilege are long forgotten”.

Ah

were they contemp at Eton? Is this payback for blackballing him from Pop?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2022

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

An attack on those who "cling to power" - maybe he had no one specific in mind but it certainly put a particular recent example of that in my mind.
    Two such people, in fact. A huge American audience for this too that there will be later today, despite most of them still being asleep for the moment.
  • Options
    This is when we need a bit of Boris. Leaven the liturgy with a joke
  • Options

• Options
    It's very, very religious for a quite not religious country. All this shall be received into the grace and glory of the lord and entry into his kingdom, lord this, lord that, I mean I know it has to happen but I would have thought it won't do a huge amount to help the relevance of a modern monarchy.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

This is when we need a bit of Boris. Leaven the liturgy with a joke

He's not going to shag you mate
  • Options
    edited September 2022

Not christian enough, I cannot tell which denomination is meant to be the correct one.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    SeanT said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

All too easily.

It’s all glorious. This is why you have funerals. And, ideally, why you have beautiful funerals in Gothic abbeys with fluting English choirs: the beauty heals

Remarkable how many of the people in high authority are now women. Such a change over the course of Her Majesty's reign.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

END THE MONARCHY

And perhaps you need to lighten up (and as you've done so before, don't pretend that is being told you cannot say something so you can play a martyr) and not take what was already clearly a joke so seriously. I would not mind if we forwent coronations, we have other ceremonials.
    Oh, so you're trying to stop me playing the martyr? I thought we had free speech in this country. I'll just gag myself and stand on this pile of wood, feel free to apply the flame at your leisure.
  • Options
    That's a good question: what does a modern Monarchy look like?

Do other countries do it better? I am afraid I don't know
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I am hoping for Roger Whittaker's The Final Farewell.

But Blaenwern will do.
  • Options
    Communal singing is a glorious thing, be it a hymn or a football chant.

Communal speaking always sounds like the Borg.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Not christian enough, I cannot rell which denomination is meant to be the correct one.
    Two weeks at camp with Ian Paisley Snr will learn you
  • Options
    Ah, good, a Welsh tune now, even if it's an English hymn.

May be heretical but I do actually prefer Hyfrydol to Blaenwern.
This discussion has been closed.