Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

As world leaders gather the papers at the end of the era – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,984
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

As a mild republican, for whom abolishing the monarchy is not in my top 1,000 priorities, I find myself in a quandary this morning.

I suspect if I sit in front of the TV and watch all the proceedings I may well regret it. However, there's a bit of me that thinks if I don't watch it, I may regret that too.
    What to do?

Definitely watch. I think this could well be the last big event for the UK as a post-Imperial nation.
    There will still be big events but of course when Elizabeth came to the throne she still was head of a pretty big Empire, including much of Africa, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Kuwait, Yemen, the Pacific Islands and Caribbean.

Almost all of those nations are now independent. She also was the longest reigning monarch in history. Inevitably therefore Charles and William's funerals will be smaller, however good a job they do, even if as good as their mother's
    Pedantically, she is the longest reigning monarch in British history; there are one or two elsewhere who reigned for longer.
    As well as the longest reigning British monarch the only monarch who reigned longer than the Queen ever was Louis XIVth.
    Were there not some in antiquity in China and Japan around longer?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,996
    Albanese and Ardern arrived
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Drakeford and Sturgeon arrived

Spotted the First Minister (designate) of NI, don't know if the Deputy First Minister (designate) gets to be there.
    Both O'Neil and Donaldson are there
    O'Neil's presence in many ways the most significant today. And HMQ played an important role in making that possible.
    I wonder if Sinn Fein might change their decision about sitting in the HoC?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:

Did anyone catch next to whom POTUS is seated?

FLOTUS?
    Thanks for that, you know what I mean. Trudeau? Macron?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited September 2022
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

As a mild republican, for whom abolishing the monarchy is not in my top 1,000 priorities, I find myself in a quandary this morning.

I suspect if I sit in front of the TV and watch all the proceedings I may well regret it. However, there's a bit of me that thinks if I don't watch it, I may regret that too.
    What to do?

Definitely watch. I think this could well be the last big event for the UK as a post-Imperial nation.
    There will still be big events but of course when Elizabeth came to the throne she still was head of a pretty big Empire, including much of Africa, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Kuwait, Yemen, the Pacific Islands and Caribbean.

Almost all of those nations are now independent. She also was the longest reigning monarch in history. Inevitably therefore Charles and William's funerals will be smaller, however good a job they do, even if as good as their mother's
    Pedantically, she is the longest reigning monarch in British history; there are one or two elsewhere who reigned for longer.
    As well as the longest reigning British monarch the only monarch who reigned longer than the Queen ever was Louis XIVth.
    Questionable

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest-reigning_monarchs
    As that shows no other sovereign monarch with verifiable date of reign lived longer than the Queen or Louis XIVth in world history.

There's six perfectly verifiable monarchs there who outdid her and whose claim is only in question because the British had quasi-stolen their countries from them. Take Sobhuza II of Swaziland: I hope you are not suggesting that anything other than protection is implied by the expression "British protectorate"? Asserting her supremacy is a bit like beating someone up with an umbrella and then billing them for repairs.

ETA and the sovereignty deficit between ERII and Sobhuza is about 1% of the gap between her and Louis. L'etat, c'etait lui.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

What to do?

Were there not some in antiquity in China and Japan around longer?
    You should see the Sumerian king lists!
  • Options
    I wonder where the reception is afterwards? Tea and sandwiches are a must on days like these.

In all seriousness, I expect embassies are busy in this diplomatic occasion.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Did anyone catch next to whom POTUS is seated?

FLOTUS?
    Thanks for that, you know what I mean. Trudeau? Macron?
    My apologies for the irresistable open goal. Ive not seen im afraid
  • Options
    Cheering? Today? Bit surprised about that.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Drakeford and Sturgeon arrived

Spotted the First Minister (designate) of NI, don't know if the Deputy First Minister (designate) gets to be there.
    Both O'Neil and Donaldson are there
    O'Neil's presence in many ways the most significant today. And HMQ played an important role in making that possible.
    I wonder if Sinn Fein might change their decision about sitting in the HoC?
    Doesn't seem likely after all this time - from their perspective they are closer than ever to their goal, without needing to alter that.
  • Options
    Bet he gets a bollocking for that.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,177
    Mr and Mrs Drakeford looking like Victorian chapel goers.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    He was lucky not to be run over and kilt.
  • Options
    Ive got a sinking feelimg in my stomach that today is the day Russia decides to 'do' something
  • Options
    kle4 said:
    'Look, I know obstructive, bloody minded twat was part of the job description, but time and place, eh?'
  • Options

Mr and Mrs Drakeford looking like Victorian chapel goers.

They are arent they?
  • Options
    Black rod leading the procession. Presumably the door isn't going to be slammed in her face this time.
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 595

After the cowardice shown by the Police in Cardiff & Leeds, they finally start arresting the violent protesters trying to shut down a peaceful rally….in Brighton:

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/22302377.three-arrests-made-kellie-jay-keen-rally-brighton/

What did the police do wrong in Cardiff ??? - a loud demonstration of a valid political view was conducted peacefully and lawfully. Nothing for police to do......
  • Options
    Will the news be back to normal tomorrow? We’ve got a lot of issues that need solving
  • Options

Ive got a sinking feelimg in my stomach that today is the day Russia decides to 'do' something

Overthrow Putin?
  • Options
    It’s impossible not to feel nervous for any of the participants in the procession (soldiers etc), all of which have to march and act perfectly. Imagine being a parent of one of them right now.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

Will the news be back to normal tomorrow? We’ve got a lot of issues that need solving

Yes, mourning ends at 8pm i believe although Royal household mourning goes on for a week
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 595
    There will be a much bigger and noisier demonstration in Cardiff on 1st October. I suggest you look away now!!
  • Options
    edited September 2022

Overthrow Putin?
    Random Russian colonel: 'We do things democratically in this country. The U.K. buries some random woman in a big stone building with a few Guests, we dangle our dead President from a lamppost below a bridge so all citizens of Moscow can piss on him.'
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,282
    Thought the Crown was going to go for a wee roll there.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

I would have thought so?
  • Options
    Hats of to Liz Truss for organising this hugely impressive event in just ten days!
  • Options

You mean will Leon be reinstated tomorrow.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,432
    edited September 2022
    DavidL said:

I wonder if it is insured?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,996
    edited September 2022

Yes but today will be one of the biggest national events of our lifetimes, certainly the biggest global funeral since 1963.

Funeral procession now underway
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Bagpipes at funerals always gets me.

I think it started with the Wrath of Khan.
  • Options
    Simon_PeachSimon_Peach Posts: 408
    edited September 2022
    Are there no women in the Royal Navy?

Edit: there may be a couple just ahead of the gun carriage… my apology
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185

Quite a few in the ones pulling the carriage.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

Wouldn't such an an auspicious day be a fine time to grant an amnesty to much missed posters like Isam and Leon*, like in ye olden times?

* and all the other banished posters

Actually, we're doing this differently, and I'm banning all the moderate sensible posters in honor of Her Majesty.

Sorry @kle4, @DavidL and @kjh
    Awww I'm touched* even if I am banned, and such illustrious company.

It has been noted by others previously that I am touched anyway.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2022
    This partly has the feel of a burial of a Scottish monarch, which I like. Just what a divided and tense kingdom needs for a bit of healing, I think.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,997

Yes. The only way to tell them apart from the men is that they can't spit quite as far.
  • Options
    Andrew and Harry in civvies. Haven't eyeballed the Field Marshal yet
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,446
    I shall miss bagpipes when Scotland goes.
  • Options

There's quite a few in the procession.

The sound of the bagpipes has inspired my youngest daughter to bring down her Sylvanian Families and Chase teddy (from Paw Patrol) so she can watch this with them. No longer saying its boring.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

I’ve been to America a few times on St Patrick’s Day and the Irish play their bagpipes a lot as well.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,997
    Cookie said:

There's always the Northumbrian armpit powered ones.
  • Options

There's quite a few in the procession.

The sound of the bagpipes has inspired my youngest daughter to bring down her Sylvanian Families and Chase teddy (from Paw Patrol) so she can watch this with them. No longer saying its boring.
    Yes, I did correct myself above… I had watched for a while and had only seen male faces…
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,984
    Big boo-boo from the BBC
    Some Commonwealth leaders are arriving now - we can see Canadian President Justin Trudeau among them.
  • Options
    Fergal Keane does solemn very well. Streets ahead of Edwards.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816
    WillG said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

FPT because I am curious

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

I am a normal run of the mill person. We think most politicians are crap no bodies. I talk to people all over the world and they all seem to think the same. No one cares who gets elected anymore as they are all crap

Why, then, do you think that turnout at elections in most countries exceeds 50% - indeed over 80% in some? You, like most of us, extrapolate from the people you know, who by semi-conscious self-selection tend to be people like you.
    because most people still turn out and vote tribally frankly. On the other hand you have people like me , I like politics , I follow politics who have now stopped bothering because there frankly is no longer any point voting because its arsehole A or arselhole b the only choice is how you want to be buggered. As tribal voting decreases and it is I expect turnout to fall.
    But if, as you say, they feel that it doesn't matter who wins, why vote tribally, or at all? I don't care who wins Wimbledon, so I don't attend. Do you take sides in things you don't care about?

Over time, I don't think voting globally has gone up or down much. As HYUFD implies, it goes up a bit when there's a charismatic leader on the field (to love or hate), down a bit when they're all a bit colourless.
    I havent cast a vote in a general election since 2010,I was implying turnout is upheld by tribal votes. As more and more general feeling becomes it doesnt matter who wins I still get shat on that tribal voting will decrease and I think more people will become like me non voters. It doesn't mean we dont care because we do. It means we dont think voting makes a difference under the current system.
    Would you be more inclined to vote under a PR system?
    No because under pr I cast a vote with no idea what I am voting for. PR would stop me voting altogether
    Ever thought of changing your ID to Misanthrope?
    What is misanthopic about saying I dont like the idea of pr? Under pr I cast a vote then the people I vote for get to decide what I voted for. Personally I prefer to vote for something rather than wait for politicians to decide what I voted for. Old fashioned views maybe but I dont understand why it makes me a misanthrope
    There is no perfect electoral system: it is merely a question of which problems you find most acceptable.

For example, one of the problems with the UK's First Past the Post is that it is difficult for minority views to gain a foothold against entrenched parties. I think the UK might have avoided getting in so deep with the EU if there was an opportunity for a Eurosceptic party to gain seats. There is also the problem, which the US has right now, where in many constituencies gaining your party's nomination is much more important than gaining the broad support of your electorate.

On the other hand, single member FPTP constituencies bring with them a direct local link between representatives and voters.

At the absolute other end of the spectrum, with Party List PR, the problem you have is that not only in the local link severed, but the power to choose individual representatives is taken out of the hands of voters and handed to party bosses. Against that: if enough people care about animal welfare to get an animal welfare party into Parliament, well that's OK.

The older I get, the more attracted I get to small constituency, multi-member STV: it retains local representation, while allowing voters to choose which of (for example) the three Conservative candidates is elected. And by having relatively small constituencies, it means that majorities - while slightly less rare than under FPTP - are far from impossible. It also allows popular independents a decent shot.
    Most forms of PR tend towards having no majority. That creates a major detriment to democracy, as the politicians can back out of manifesto pledges as the price of coalition and you the voter never know which ones they cynically will ditch. Single member ranked voting is the best system. If you desperately want more party power, you should have some form of PR squared to encourage majorities.
    There is a feedback mechanism, as the Lib Dems discovered after the last Coalition: the next election.

It is the same feedback mechanism that works to incentivise politicians to keep manifesto pledges in majorities as well.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,726
    Cookie said:

Plenty of examples of the pipe bands across the Commonwealth. Some in rUK even today (apart, of course, from the Irish and Northumbrian pipes).

https://bagpipe.news/2019/08/23/grampian-corby-recruiting/
  • Options
    Why the Biden/Truss meeting was postponed - according to the LA Times:

He plans to return to Washington Monday afternoon, departing immediately after the funeral. Biden’s first meeting with new British Prime Minister Liz Truss was put off until later in the week, when both leaders will be in New York City for the United Nations General Assembly.

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1571800366064500736
  • Options
    Was that Charles getting angry again?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    Cookie said:

Hopefully bagpipes will remain, in that event.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,725
    edited September 2022
    Deleted - don't think political responses are a good idea at this time.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Cookie said:

Hopefully bagpipes will remain, in that event.
    Hopefully Scotland will remain, too.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628

DavidL said:

New for old or 2nd hand value
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

Plenty of examples of the pipe bands across the Commonwealth. Some in rUK even today (apart, of course, from the Irish and Northumbrian pipes).

https://bagpipe.news/2019/08/23/grampian-corby-recruiting/
    A great Ozzy master of the art.

https://youtu.be/K-Op1Mng4oY

• Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2022
    Westminster Abbey is so different from St Paul's Cathedral ; almost a Catholic/ High Church and Protestant difference.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,944
    The wreath on top of the Queen’s coffin contains myrtle - the ancient symbol of a happy marriage. It was cut from a plant that was grown from a sprig of myrtle from Her Majesty’s wedding bouquet in 1947.
    https://twitter.com/sarahhewsonTV/status/1571801398882275336
  • Options
    If you’re watching the BBC I’d suggest trying ITV - very little commentary.
  • Options
    Dropped card on the floor near the coffin, and the Dean stumbling a bit at the start - some human touches to it all.
  • Options
    DynamoDynamo Posts: 651

DavidL said:

Who'd write insurance for stolen gemstones?
  • Options
    Dynamo said:

DavidL said:

Stop trying so hard Vlad.
  • Options
    Dynamo said:

DavidL said:

I guess you’ve never worked in banking or insurance.
  • Options
    DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    Scott_xP said:

What to do?

Switch it on, but do the ironing or a jigsaw...
    Do stuff with the telly on in the background. Classy.
  • Options
    Dynamo said:

Scott_xP said:

What to do?

Isn't that what everyone writing here is doing?
  • Options

Edit: there may be a couple just ahead of the gun carriage… my apology

Penny Mordaunt.
  • Options
    I wonder if anyone has spotted the irony of a hymn that includes 'Thy throne shall never, like Earth's proud empires, pass away?'
  • Options
    This is some service.
  • Options

Dynamo said:

Scott_xP said:

What to do?

I’m in a hotel room looking up future city breaks.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I wonder if anyone has spotted the irony of a hymn that includes 'Thy throne shall never, like Earth's proud empires, pass away?'

We really need to change the honours system. Get rid of the empire references.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

This is some service.

You have 5G?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I believe there was a suggestion it be the Order of British Excellence.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,901
    Makes me want to go back to Church
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Not sure I see the irony. The Queen was devout. And almost certainly chose that hymn.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Sounds a little Bill and Ted, no?
  • Options

Dynamo said:

Scott_xP said:

What to do?

I’m in a hotel room looking up future city breaks.
    is that a nickname?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Not sure I see the irony. The Queen was devout. And almost certainly chose that hymn.
    I was thinking that this is, very literally, the passing of the last vestige of an Empire, but the implication could almost be the Throne will endure beyond it.
  • Options
    Dynamo said:

DavidL said:

Ooh, you're grumpy today!
    *tickles Dynamo under the chin*
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Makes me want to go back to Church

Tim Minchin put it best

Some of the hymns have great chords,
    But the lyrics are dodgy.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

When enough people care, we can just change the word Empire to Excellence. Job done. No need for anyone to reprint their business cards or update their Linkedin profiles.

The problem is Wikipedia spells out MBE etc in words, where everyone else just uses the initials, and Wikipedia has a hell of a lot of readers who see the word Empire.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    It's an inspired shot looking down like that from the transept roof but I do hope the camera doesn't slip!
  • Options
    At The King's request, the wreath contains foliage of Rosemary, English Oak and Myrtle (cut from a plant grown from Myrtle in The Queen's wedding bouquet) and flowers, in shades of gold, pink and deep burgundy, with touches of white, cut from the gardens of Royal Residences.

https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/status/1571805807196655617
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Cookie said:

Dynamo said:

DavidL said:

Ooh, you're grumpy today!
    *tickles Dynamo under the chin*
    I’m guessing Ukraine are pegging the Russians senseless today. In a military sense, there’s no way Putin would enjoy an actual pegging, honest.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Sounds a little Bill and Ted, no?
    You mean, naff? Yes, I'd agree. Endeavour would be better.
  • Options
    Your reminder this could have been Boris Johnson if the queen had died 72 hours earlier.
  • Options
    You're a moderator are you? Funny how you're in favour of cancel culture when it suits you.

You enjoy the funeral, I can post what I like assuming the moderation team is okay with it.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,901
    Haha - seems a bit celebratory to go the park? Enjoying watching it no commentary at home, nursing a post-night shift girlfriend
  • Options
    Two quick thoughts:

Those choristers are good (not that I am an expert). And what an event to be part of, so young;
    and BBC2 has the service signed. It's funny seeing the signing guy signing the hymns...
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Liz done good!

Thoughts and prayers for Boris Johnson.
  • Options

You're a moderator are you? Funny how you're in favour of cancel culture when it suits you.

You enjoy the funeral, I can post what I like assuming the moderation team is okay with it.
    There is a time and place and now is not the time
  • Options
    That was horrendously spoken lol
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

If you’re watching the BBC I’d suggest trying ITV - very little commentary.

The BBC mercifully has none at all.

I can't help picturing the director saying 'I want a top shot'.

And the rigger replying 'You've gotta be joking!'

'.....Ok but you better bloody use it!'

.....And have they used it! Every third shot looks like a chess board
  • Options

At The King's request, the wreath contains foliage of Rosemary, English Oak and Myrtle (cut from a plant grown from Myrtle in The Queen's wedding bouquet) and flowers, in shades of gold, pink and deep burgundy, with touches of white, cut from the gardens of Royal Residences.

https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/status/1571805807196655617

The wreath is really beautiful. For me it's the star of the funeral so far.
  • Options
    Made it aboard my Pendolino with no probs. Tube surprisingly lightly loaded this morning. Slumming it in Manchester this week. Planned the trip long before 'Er Majesty's passing, natch. More later :)
  • Options
    Vicar of Dibley theme now
  • Options
    edited September 2022

That was horrendously spoken lol

Thoguht she did pretty well myself. Clear, not wooden or monotone.
This discussion has been closed.