Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

As world leaders gather the papers at the end of the era – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited September 2022 in General
imageAs world leaders gather the papers at the end of the era – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,262
    First!
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,753
    Sad, sad, sad.
    Witty from the i: "Truss goes for broke in economy gamble"
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,704
    q closed 10.43pm
  • The queue to attend Her Majesty The Queen's Lying-in-State is at final capacity and is now closed to new entrants

Please do not attempt to join the queue

Stewards will manage those already nearby

Thank you for your understanding

https://twitter.com/DCMS/status/1571615372758876161
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,704
    Nothing more from me till after the funeral
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,629
    edited September 2022
    FPT because I am curious

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

I am a normal run of the mill person. We think most politicians are crap no bodies. I talk to people all over the world and they all seem to think the same. No one cares who gets elected anymore as they are all crap

Why, then, do you think that turnout at elections in most countries exceeds 50% - indeed over 80% in some? You, like most of us, extrapolate from the people you know, who by semi-conscious self-selection tend to be people like you.
    because most people still turn out and vote tribally frankly. On the other hand you have people like me , I like politics , I follow politics who have now stopped bothering because there frankly is no longer any point voting because its arsehole A or arselhole b the only choice is how you want to be buggered. As tribal voting decreases and it is I expect turnout to fall.
    But if, as you say, they feel that it doesn't matter who wins, why vote tribally, or at all? I don't care who wins Wimbledon, so I don't attend. Do you take sides in things you don't care about?

Over time, I don't think voting globally has gone up or down much. As HYUFD implies, it goes up a bit when there's a charismatic leader on the field (to love or hate), down a bit when they're all a bit colourless.
    I havent cast a vote in a general election since 2010,I was implying turnout is upheld by tribal votes. As more and more general feeling becomes it doesnt matter who wins I still get shat on that tribal voting will decrease and I think more people will become like me non voters. It doesn't mean we dont care because we do. It means we dont think voting makes a difference under the current system.
    Would you be more inclined to vote under a PR system?
    No because under pr I cast a vote with no idea what I am voting for. PR would stop me voting altogether
    Ever thought of changing your ID to Misanthrope?
    What is misanthopic about saying I dont like the idea of pr? Under pr I cast a vote then the people I vote for get to decide what I voted for. Personally I prefer to vote for something rather than wait for politicians to decide what I voted for. Old fashioned views maybe but I dont understand why it makes me a misanthrope
    DavidL said:

Sad, sad, sad.

Really?

I mean, I'm happy to commemorate the life of The Queen and respect that her passing is an important moment but I don't feel sad that a 96 year old woman dies peacefully having been until recently in good health and of sound mind.

The war in Ukraine makes me feel sad. The way many people are going to struggle this winter here in the UK makes me feel sad.
  • Fuxake.

Those trainers..

Pagan2 said:

FPT because I am curious

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

I am a normal run of the mill person. We think most politicians are crap no bodies. I talk to people all over the world and they all seem to think the same. No one cares who gets elected anymore as they are all crap

Why, then, do you think that turnout at elections in most countries exceeds 50% - indeed over 80% in some? You, like most of us, extrapolate from the people you know, who by semi-conscious self-selection tend to be people like you.
    because most people still turn out and vote tribally frankly. On the other hand you have people like me , I like politics , I follow politics who have now stopped bothering because there frankly is no longer any point voting because its arsehole A or arselhole b the only choice is how you want to be buggered. As tribal voting decreases and it is I expect turnout to fall.
    But if, as you say, they feel that it doesn't matter who wins, why vote tribally, or at all? I don't care who wins Wimbledon, so I don't attend. Do you take sides in things you don't care about?

Over time, I don't think voting globally has gone up or down much. As HYUFD implies, it goes up a bit when there's a charismatic leader on the field (to love or hate), down a bit when they're all a bit colourless.
    I havent cast a vote in a general election since 2010,I was implying turnout is upheld by tribal votes. As more and more general feeling becomes it doesnt matter who wins I still get shat on that tribal voting will decrease and I think more people will become like me non voters. It doesn't mean we dont care because we do. It means we dont think voting makes a difference under the current system.
    No because under pr I cast a vote with no idea what I am voting for. PR would stop me voting altogether
    What is misanthopitic about saying I dont like the idea of pr? Under pr I cast a vote then the people I vote for get to decide what I voted for. Personally I prefer to vote for something rather than wait for politicians to decide what I voted for. Old fashioned views maybe but I dont understand why it makes me a misanthrope
    Ah, I see. So you'd like the country run as a series of referendums?

DavidL said:

Sad, sad, sad.

Really?

I mean, I'm happy to commemorate the life of The Queen and respect that her passing is an important moment but I don't feel sad that a 96 year old woman dies peacefully having been until recently in good health and of sound mind.

The war in Ukraine makes me feel sad. The way many people are going to struggle this winter here in the UK makes me feel sad.
    Yes she lived a good life and had a good death. But I will miss the air of certainty and continuity that she has given to this country my entire life and then a little bit more.

Pagan2 said:

FPT because I am curious

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

What is misanthopitic about saying I dont like the idea of pr? Under pr I cast a vote then the people I vote for get to decide what I voted for. Personally I prefer to vote for something rather than wait for politicians to decide what I voted for. Old fashioned views maybe but I dont understand why it makes me a misanthrope
    Where did I ask for that? I merely said our democracy doesnt work anymore. Systems designed with 17th century society in mind dont always work in the modern world...I am sorry if you find that alarming but the turtle moves
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

FPT because I am curious

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Where did I ask for that? I merely said our democracy doesnt work anymore. Systems designed with 17th century society in mind dont always work in the modern world...I am sorry if you find that alarming but the turtle moves
    To what? You seem to be against everything; what are you in favour of?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Keep it in your mind
    Do not forget
    That it is not he, or she, or them or it,
    That you belong to.

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

FPT because I am curious

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

I wrote a thread header on how I felt democracy should change...no where did I suggest referendums for everything
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

FPT because I am curious

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

I wrote a thread header on how I felt democracy should change...no where did I suggest referendums for everything
    will find it and pm you it
  • Bloke in an Orange Order sash has entered Westminster Hall!
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

FPT because I am curious

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

I missed your thread header, sorry. Can you enlighten me in a few words?
  • DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    edited September 2022
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

FPT because I am curious

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

It's a fallacy to see it as designed in the 17th century. It has been part and parcel of the mass media (and mass consumption) epoch. Was money "designed" in Phoenicia? Well sure but that doesn't get to the essence of how it works now. Parliamentary democracy is obviously an utter crock, but it still functions reasonably effectively to prop up the legitimacy of the state, as a "figleaf". They tell me there's a lot of this "like" and "dislike" sh*t on the internet nowadays too.

"Everyone is asked their opinion about every detail in order to prevent them from forming one about the totality".
    edited September 2022

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

FPT because I am curious

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

sent a link in pm
    happy to talk to you about it too you wont like it all
  • Fuxake.

Those trainers..

'is that a union jack tea cosy or is he just pleased to see the man in front ?
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

FPT because I am curious

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

sent a link in pm
    I've read it now thanks. Interesting thoughts, better than a descent into dictatorship which is my long-term fear for democracy tbh.

But no prospect of your ideas every being implemented, I'm afraid.
  • Fecking awful front page from Guardian.

"descend" has a strong hint of condescension. Photo is dire.

I guess the duty editor on a sunday night is a republican.
  • Al Murray - DKMS.ORG.UK 🇺🇦
    @almurray
    ·
    4h
    The live stream of the lying in state on the iPlayer offers you the chance to restart the programme 🫠
    edited September 2022

Bloke in an Orange Order sash has entered Westminster Hall!

The king has promised to promote diversity!

Doing utterly ridiculous stuff with a straight face and an attitude that suggests "What on earth do you mean when you say I'm taking the p*ss?" might be quite a cool satirical artistic choice at the moment.

Perhaps a Frank-N-Furter character has joined the queue already?

Does "Iustum Necar Reges Impios" count as a "faith" thing that the king will "promote"? Asking for a friend.

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

FPT because I am curious

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

sent a link in pm
    I've read it now thanks. Interesting thoughts, better than a descent into dictatorship which is my long-term fear for democracy tbh.

No I doubt it but I hope its made you realise I am not just an angry man I do have thoughts on how we could make things better. I don't shout for the sake of it. I shout because I think things are wrong
    edited September 2022

Fecking awful front page from Guardian.

"descend" has a strong hint of condescension. Photo is dire.

I guess the duty editor on a sunday night is a republican.

I thought the Radio Times had the best photo tbh:

• kjhkjh Posts: 10,456

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

FPT because I am curious

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

It was a rather good thread. I got into a discussion with Pagan and although I didn't agree with him he had some very interesting views and ideas. I encouraged him to write a thread header. He was reluctant, but eventually I and others convinced him to do so. It was very well received.
    kjh said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

FPT because I am curious

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

It was a rather good thread. I got into a discussion with Pagan and although I didn't agree with him he had some very interesting views and ideas. I encouraged him to write a thread header. He was reluctant, but eventually I and others convinced him to do so. It was very well received.
    I sent him a link so up to him how he views me now :)
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

FPT because I am curious

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

sent a link in pm

No I doubt it but I hope its made you realise I am not just an angry man I do have thoughts on how we could make things better. I don't shout for the sake of it. I shout because I think things are wrong
    Yes, noted. Apologies.

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

FPT because I am curious

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

sent a link in pm

Yes, noted. Apologies.
    smile accepted and easy to understand why you felt otherwise
    Meanwhile some in the media start to catch up with the idea the gas subsidy is not going to be quite so expensive after all. https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-11222053/amp/Falling-gas-price-set-slash-PM-Liz-Truss-bailout-bill.html

Who could possibly have imagined that?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052

Fuxake.

Those trainers..

Not to my taste, but I would diss red shoes or Radiohead on here.

The rest of his outfit though!
    DavidL said:

Meanwhile some in the media start to catch up with the idea the gas subsidy is not going to be quite so expensive after all. https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-11222053/amp/Falling-gas-price-set-slash-PM-Liz-Truss-bailout-bill.html

Hang on. When I was proposing a few weeks ago that the energy cap be frozen you told me it was impossibily unaffordable.
  • Sky reporting last two in the Queue got golden wristbands.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781
    Interesting that they have gone for sleep dearie sleep over some of the more popular laments.

See bottom for link to order of service:

https://www.westminster-abbey.org/abbey-news/order-of-service-for-the-state-funeral-published
  • kjh said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

FPT because I am curious

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Yes. As I recall, Pagan's thread post made several serious, reasonably specific proposals for reforming government. An appeal to reason, certainly more reasoned than emotive. Worthy of consideration and debate, which is what I remember, here on PB anyway.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Eabhal said:

Interesting that they have gone for sleep dearie sleep over some of the more popular laments.

https://www.westminster-abbey.org/abbey-news/order-of-service-for-the-state-funeral-published

A 'procession of religion representatives' apparently.

We've got:

President of the Board of Deputies of British Jews
    Representative of the Baha'i Community
    Representative of the Jain Community
    Representative of the Zoroastrian Community
    Representative of the Buddhist Community
    Representative of the Sikh Community
    General Secretary of the Hindu Council UK
    Interfaith Co-ordinator, Al-Khoei Foundation
    A Muslim Scholar; and
    Chief Rabbi of Great Britain

Any surprising omissions?

kjh said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

FPT because I am curious

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Yes. As I recall, Pagan's thread post made several serious, reasonably specific proposals for reforming government. An appeal to reason, certainly more reasoned than emotive. Worthy of consideration and debate, which is what I remember, here on PB anyway.
    I tried for non partisan neither left nor right. Proposal 6 as I remember was the sticking point that caused most discussion
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,555
    edited September 2022

Pagan2 said:

FPT because I am curious

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

The Swiss do and it seems to work just fine for them as just about the richest and most stable country in Europe.
  • kle4 said:

Eabhal said:

We've got:

A Muslim Scholar; and

There is a large list of top clerics listed further below that list, which looks reasonably comprehensive with respect to Christian denominations.

kle4 said:

Eabhal said:

We've got:

A Muslim Scholar; and

There is a large list of top clerics listed further below that list, which looks reasonably comprehensive with respect to Christian denominations.
    No pastafarians or scientologists
    edited September 2022

kle4 said:

Eabhal said:

We've got:

A Muslim Scholar; and

Yes, and prayers read by many of them - all very chummy thesedays.

It is good they've included the words to two verses of God Save the King, because lord knows I didn't know the second.

Looks like little Groge is going to be in the procession.
  • If this isn't Trump basically saying he is running then I'm a dutchman.

The speech is utterly deranged and also utterly cynical on Putin levels. Apparently only he can save America from "the tyrants" who want to destroy it.

Neo-fascists bollocks and sadly looking like the next POTUS.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1571310011548323842

• Foxy said:

Fuxake.

Those trainers..

Not to my taste, but I would diss red shoes or Radiohead on here.

The rest of his outfit though!
    Red shoes very papal.

Hope he and the guy with the Sash (that his grandfather wore before?) didn't get into a fist fight outside (or inside!) the hall.
    I wonder if they'll take down from ebay the copies of the order of service for the funeral that are bound to appear.

Oh you just know one of them will be @Leon
  • DavidL said:

Nobody knows anything about gas price trajectory this winter. Not least because it is dependant on there not being a cold winter across continental europe.

Sky reporting last two in the Queue got golden wristbands.

Nah, he was going to skip the queue. Hopefully he can tell us.
    edited September 2022
    kle4 said:

Is the mind image of leon the burly flint knapper skipping one we really want in our heads before we sleep?

The third from last person must be a bit pissed off tbh.
    Christ, I was joking previously about it but the diplomat who serves as the Governor for Pitcairn really does get a seat at the funeral too, as an overseas territory. They don't miss a thing.
    Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Is the mind image of leon the burly flint knapper skipping one we really want in our heads before we sleep?
    It was to keep us all awake til the funeral.
    kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

It was to keep us all awake til the funeral.
    It is a nightmare I could do without
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited September 2022
    Another lot of "interesting" pledges / salutes at a Republican / Trumpite rally today ..

"Raise you right hand in the air ; American will have a rebirth of liberty".

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1571567482049298432
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598
    It will interesting to see if all this calms down somewhat after tomorrow. Hoping for a lovely service for a lady who served her country well, and tirelessly. RIP.
  • Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Eabhal said:

We've got:

A Muslim Scholar; and

No Rastafarians either, which feels like an omission? On part of the Palace or the Rastafarians - or both?
    Fishing said:

Pagan2 said:

FPT because I am curious

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

The Swiss do and it seems to work just fine for them as just about the richest and most stable country in Europe.
    True, it works for them, but does anyone else do the same? By dint of much effort, luck and the right development of culture it seems like they've got a pretty good thing going, yet that doesn't mean it will fit everyone else.

It will interesting to see if all this calms down somewhat after tomorrow. Hoping for a lovely service for a lady who served her country well, and tirelessly. RIP.

I think people would be pretty annoyed if things did not calm down. That's the whole point of a mourning period ending at the funeral after all, that after that everyone gets their shit together.

The third from last person must be a bit pissed off tbh.
    Those with even the most specious claims to having been cut off within earshot of the End of The Queue, will themselves become living legends, not just in their own minds, but in our interesting times.

At least treat them that way when they hit you up for a free beer. But just one.
    Google's logo has gone from grey to black now. What will they do as the big televised event in the Abbey gets even closer - play subliminals inducing tears?

They won't black out the whole page. That would lose them $$$.

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Eabhal said:

We've got:

A Muslim Scholar; and

No Rastafarians either, which feels like an omission? On part of the Palace or the Rastafarians - or both?
    I have to question how rastafarians feel about the monarch. As far as I know pastafians and scientologists have no strong views on it which was I suggested omissions. I am not for example surprised to see no discordians listed as they still largely revere emporor norton I
    kle4 said:

I think people would be pretty annoyed if things did not calm down. That's the whole point of a mourning period ending at the funeral after all, that after that everyone gets their shit together.
    Co-op stores are opening at 5pm tomorrow.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598
    kle4 said:

Let us see how it goes. Many people seem extremely upset by it.
    Dynamo said:

kle4 said:

Co-op stores are opening at 5pm tomorrow.
    does that help starving russian troops?
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781
    Dynamo said:

Google's logo has gone from grey to black now. What will they do as the big televised event in the Abbey gets even closer - play subliminals inducing tears?

Wish they would - save a bunch of carbon emissions
    Eabhal said:

Dynamo said:

Wish they would - save a bunch of carbon emissions
    carbon emission arent the be all and end all some people still need to do things

The speech is utterly deranged and also utterly cynical on Putin levels. Apparently only he can save America from "the tyrants" who want to destroy it.

I watched this speech. It's genuinely scary. Very powerful, very clever, and somewhat deranged. I don't agree that it's neo-fascist - I think it's the speech of a genuine fascist demagogue. The over-arching narrative is very QAnon. It's the closest I've seen to how I imagine Hitler. He needs to be stopped, somehow.
    edited September 2022

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Eabhal said:

We've got:

A Muslim Scholar; and

No Wiccans.

No pagans.

No Free Church of Scotland (Continuing or otherwise). The only representatives of "the churches of Scotland" are from the CoS, the Episcopalians, and the Roman Catholic church.

No Sephardim.

No Mormons.

No Jehovah's Witnesses.

No Ahmadiyya Muslims.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,530
    Judging by the photo which was only taken in May the Queens health seem to deteriorate very quickly after that . I don’t suppose we’ll ever know what was wrong with her.
    edited September 2022
    Dynamo said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Eabhal said:

We've got:

A Muslim Scholar; and

No Wiccans.

No pagans.

No Free Church of Scotland (Continuing or otherwise). The only representatives of "the churches of Scotland" are from the CoS, the Episcopalians, and the Roman Catholic church.

No Sephardim.
    speaking from the pagan point of view who would you invite we are non heirachal

as to wiccans well a religon cobbled together by a civil servant called gerald gardiner in 1956
  • nico679 said:

Judging by the photo which was only taken in May the Queens health seem to deteriorate very quickly after that . I don’t suppose we’ll ever know what was wrong with her.

She was 96?
  • Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Eabhal said:

We've got:

A Muslim Scholar; and

I have to question how rastafarians feel about the monarch. As far as I know pastafians and scientologists have no strong views on it which was I suggested omissions. I am not for example surprised to see no discordians listed as they still largely revere emporor norton I
    From what I know about the Emperor Norton I, his imperial highness would have greatly regretted any display of disrespect or discourtesy to a fellow sovereign - especially one of the stature and service as the late Queen.

Almost as much as his regret, when the Union and Confederacy both ignored his Order that the Cease and Desist immediate from waging the Civil War. IIRC he wrote to Queen Victoria, proposing that the two trans-Atlantic English-speaking monarchs made a joint appeal for peace. Sadly, Emperor Norton never received a reply, which he himself ascribed, not to Her Majesty's rudeness, but rather the habitual inefficiency of her courtiers.

nico679 said:

She was 96?
    rubbish she was obviously offed by MI6/MI5/mossad/cia/The AA/IRA/RAC/AMA delete as applicable for your favourite conspiracy
  • kle4 said:

Christ, I was joking previously about it but the diplomat who serves as the Governor for Pitcairn really does get a seat at the funeral too, as an overseas territory. They don't miss a thing.

He should maybe send one of the actual Pitcairn Islanders in his place, say someone currently resident in UK.

kle4 said:

He should maybe send one of the actual Pitcairn Islanders in his place, say someone currently resident in UK.
    Will she be old enough to attend?
    edited September 2022

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Eabhal said:

We've got:

A Muslim Scholar; and

From what I know about the Emperor Norton I, his imperial highness would have greatly regretted any display of disrespect or discourtesy to a fellow sovereign - especially one of the stature and service as the late Queen.

Almost as much as his regret, when the Union and Confederacy both ignored his Order that the Cease and Desist immediate from waging the Civil War. IIRC he wrote to Queen Victoria, proposing that the two trans-Atlantic English-speaking monarchs made a joint appeal for peace. Sadly, Emperor Norton never received a reply, which he himself ascribed, not to Her Majesty's rudeness, but rather the habitual inefficiency of her courtiers.

Probably true but a man of signifigance who probably did more good than bad so I take my hat off and salute joshua norton
  • Dynamo said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Eabhal said:

We've got:

A Muslim Scholar; and

No Wiccans.

No pagans.

No Sephardim.

No Mormons.

No Jehovah's Witnesses.

No Ahmadiyya Muslims.
    No representative of the Moscow Patriarchate
    edited September 2022
    Pagan2 said:

Dynamo said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Eabhal said:

We've got:

A Muslim Scholar; and

No Wiccans.

No pagans.

No Sephardim.
    speaking from the pagan point of view who would you invite we are non heirachal

as to wiccans well a religon cobbled together by a civil servant called gerald gardiner in 1956
    Right up the king's street, then, given the respect in which he held Gardner's fellow faker Idries Shah.

And he could have invited "the unknown pagan", given it's the Abbey.

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    edited September 2022
    Pagan2 said:

FPT because I am curious

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

What is misanthopic about saying I dont like the idea of pr? Under pr I cast a vote then the people I vote for get to decide what I voted for. Personally I prefer to vote for something rather than wait for politicians to decide what I voted for. Old fashioned views maybe but I dont understand why it makes me a misanthrope
    There is no perfect electoral system: it is merely a question of which problems you find most acceptable.

For example, one of the problems with the UK's First Past the Post is that it is difficult for minority views to gain a foothold against entrenched parties. I think the UK might have avoided getting in so deep with the EU if there was an opportunity for a Eurosceptic party to gain seats. There is also the problem, which the US has right now, where in many constituencies gaining your party's nomination is much more important than gaining the broad support of your electorate.

On the other hand, single member FPTP constituencies bring with them a direct local link between representatives and voters.

At the absolute other end of the spectrum, with Party List PR, the problem you have is that not only in the local link severed, but the power to choose individual representatives is taken out of the hands of voters and handed to party bosses. Against that: if enough people care about animal welfare to get an animal welfare party into Parliament, well that's OK.

The older I get, the more attracted I get to small constituency, multi-member STV: it retains local representation, while allowing voters to choose which of (for example) the three Conservative candidates is elected. And by having relatively small constituencies, it means that majorities - while slightly less rare than under FPTP - are far from impossible. It also allows popular independents a decent shot.
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

FPT because I am curious

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

There is no perfect electoral system: it is merely a question of which problems you find most acceptable.

For example, one of the problems with the UK's First Past the Post is that it is difficult for minority views to gain a foothold against entrenched parties. I think the UK might have avoided getting in so deep with the EU if there was an opportunity for a Eurosceptic party to gain seats. There is also the problem, which the US has right now, where in many constituencies gaining your party's nomination is much more important than gaining the broad support of your electorate.

On the other hand, single member FPTP constituencies bring with them a direct local link between representatives and voters.

At the absolute other end of the spectrum, with Party List PR, the problem you have is that not only in the local link severed, but the power to choose individual representatives is taken out of the hands of voters and handed to party bosses. Against that: if enough people care about animal welfare to get an animal welfare party into Parliament, well that's OK.

The older I get, the more attracted I get to small constituency, multi-member STV: it retains local representation, while allowing voters to choose which of (for example) the three Conservative candidates is elected. And by having relatively small constituencies, it means that majorities - while slightly less rare than under FPTP - are far from impossible. It also allows popular independents a decent shot.
    I don't in the least disagree that all voting systems have their problems. I merely disagreed that not accepting pr makes me a misanthrope
    kle4 said:

Eabhal said:

We've got:

A Muslim Scholar; and

As is sadly typical, there is no Pastafarian representative.
    Dynamo said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Eabhal said:

We've got:

A Muslim Scholar; and

No Wiccans.

No pagans.

No Sephardim.

No Mormons.

No Jehovah's Witnesses.

No Ahmadiyya Muslims.
    No Shintoists.
    No Daoists.
    No Spiritualists or Spiritists.
    No manbos or oungans.
    Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

FPT because I am curious

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

I don't in the least disagree that all voting systems have their problems. I merely disagreed that not accepting pr makes me a misanthrope
    You're absolutely right.

It's your disdain for your fellow man that makes you a misanthrope.
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

FPT because I am curious

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

You're absolutely right.

It's your disdain for your fellow man that makes you a misanthrope.
    I have no disdain for my fellow men I just dont think they should pollute the ecosphere by existing :)
  • WillGWillG Posts: 1,993
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

FPT because I am curious

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Most forms of PR tend towards having no majority. That creates a major detriment to democracy, as the politicians can back out of manifesto pledges as the price of coalition and you the voter never know which ones they cynically will ditch. Single member ranked voting is the best system. If you desperately want more party power, you should have some form of PR squared to encourage majorities.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    People who think democratic politics is rubbish ought to be move to a non-democratic country like, say, Russia, or Saudi Arabia.
    WillG said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

FPT because I am curious

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Most forms of PR tend towards having no majority. That creates a major detriment to democracy, as the politicians can back out of manifesto pledges as the price of coalition and you the voter never know which ones they cynically will ditch. Single member ranked voting is the best system. If you desperately want more party power, you should have some form of PR squared to encourage majorities.
    Unless the SNP's near lock on Scotland disappears, the UK is likely to end up with frequent coalitions too. In the last four elections, we've only had one workable majority - and that was the consequence of the Labour Party electing a Marxist terrorist sympathiser as Leader. (Indeed, small member STV would likely halve the number of SNP seats, making a majority more possible.)

Ultimately, the question is which do you find worse for democracy: an elected body that might have wildly disproportional results? Or an elected body where coalitions are more likely?

Neither is perfect.

I watched this speech. It's genuinely scary. Very powerful, very clever, and somewhat deranged. I don't agree that it's neo-fascist - I think it's the speech of a genuine fascist demagogue. The over-arching narrative is very QAnon. It's the closest I've seen to how I imagine Hitler. He needs to be stopped, somehow.
    To think we all thought he'd be in jail by now..
    Andy_JS said:

People who think democratic politics is rubbish ought to be move to a non-democratic country like, say, Russia, or Saudi Arabia.

Hard to disagree with that.
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Hard to disagree with that.
    No one tonight has said democratic politics is bad, merely our sytem of democratic politics is bad and needs replacing
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Eabhal said:

We've got:

A Muslim Scholar; and

Haile Selassie was great mates with her and spent 5 years in exile here
    IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Eabhal said:

We've got:

A Muslim Scholar; and

Take your word for it as I dont know much about rastafarians the clue being me saying "I dont know how they feel"
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Eabhal said:

We've got:

A Muslim Scholar; and

Take your word for it as I dont know much about rastafarians the clue being me saying "I dont know how they feel"
    Ras Tafari Makonnen was Haile Selassie's name until he became emperor of Ethiopia, hence rastafarian. They thought he was the Second Coming.

If this isn't Trump basically saying he is running then I'm a dutchman.

To think we all thought he'd be in jail by now..
    As a speechmaker Trump shares the pained expression with Hitler. Not all fascists have it. Mosley for example mostly ranted.

It's a shame the grownups in the US Republican party didn't vote to convict him at his second impeachment trial. Or Pence could have Article 25'd him. Those Secret Service guys probably wish now they'd let him go to the Capitol on J6. If they had, his actions may well have killed a few hundred or a few thousand more people, but in the end he would have smashed against a brick wall and that would have been the last that was heard of him. Now, who knows, maybe it'll be a few million people. The guy is seriously mental and now he's got an even bigger grievance.

Yes he'll run again if he's not stopped, and if he does run he may win. He's even more "I'll show you motherf*****s" than he was before. If he does win, he'll cause big trouble. And this is all f***ing obvious right now.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    WillG said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

FPT because I am curious

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Most forms of PR tend towards having no majority. That creates a major detriment to democracy, as the politicians can back out of manifesto pledges as the price of coalition and you the voter never know which ones they cynically will ditch...
    Because that never happens with FPTP.

Riiight.
  • Eabhal said:

One of the hymns is Love Divine, who of course won the Oaks at Epsom in the year 2000.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHl5-tyQxKc
    (Love Divine is number 10, from stall 3, near the camera and close to the front from the start.)
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,555
    kle4 said:

Fishing said:

Pagan2 said:

FPT because I am curious

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

True, it works for them, but does anyone else do the same? By dint of much effort, luck and the right development of culture it seems like they've got a pretty good thing going, yet that doesn't mean it will fit everyone else.
    Not really at the national level, but some western US states do so.

The only way to know if it would work for us would be to give it a try. However as it would effectively strip our political class of much of their power I won't hold my breath.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,598

Fuxake.

Those trainers..

@Leon spotted in the queue
    Shouldn’t such pictures be banned?

@DuraAce is probably in respiratory arrest
This discussion has been closed.