Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A sad day – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,050
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Very sad. Just heard the news. Strange to think of Charles III being monarch.

Really? It was nailed on, just a matter of when.
    You are a Christian I think? So are you not going to be a bit interested on regenerating in heaven because it was nailed on, just a matter of when?
    I don't know If I will be going to heaven or not. It isn't my decision
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,813
    edited September 2022

Bad news for anyone laying the draw.

Following the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Friday's play between England and South Africa Men at The Oval, along with all scheduled matches in the Rachael Heyhoe Flint Trophy, will not take place.

For fixtures beyond Friday, updates will be provided in due course

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/2786528/no-play-on-friday-in-third-england-v-south-africa-test-following-death-of-her-majesty-queen-elizabeth-ii

Imagine it will be match abandoned rather than a draw.
    Why?
    A draw has ramifications for the World Test Championship
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

kle4 said:

Following the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Friday's play between England and South Africa Men at The Oval, along with all scheduled matches in the Rachael Heyhoe Flint Trophy, will not take place.

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/2786528/no-play-on-friday-in-third-england-v-south-africa-test-following-death-of-her-majesty-queen-elizabeth-ii

Figures.

I assumed they'd cancel the match and play it as a one off decider some other time, like the India game.
    Why? There are football matches being played right now (eg at Old Trafford). The idea that you should stop everything is crazy - unless the players themselves have refused to play?

I assumed it since they've already lost one day and they've decided to forego another - in which case a new date makes more sense than trying to squeeze it into 3, which cannot be guaranteed.
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

You are a Christian I think? So are you not going to be a bit interested on regenerating in heaven because it was nailed on, just a matter of when?
    Well I hope you have a pleasant surprise.
  • ydoethur said:

With respect to the number of UK Prime Ministers and US Presidents who held office during the late Queen's reign, perhaps worth noting that she was alive as Princess Elizabeth during the administrations of three other PMs and POTUS:

> Stanley Baldwin, Neville Chamberlain, {Winston Churchill}, Clement Attlee

> Calvin Coolidge, Herbert Hoover, Franklin Roosevelt

Add heads of governments AND states within the Commonwealth, and total is well into three digits.

Four PMs. You've missed off Ramsay Macdonald 1929-35.
    Yes! Thanks for that correction (and addition).
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    kle4 said:

I've always liked dwelling on the practicalities behind grand events. Like, who sets up the sound system for the Papal Conclaves? Who organised the bottles of water in the media room for the Taliban press conference after taking Kabul?

I can just imagine someone at Buckingham Palace frantically hunting round for the headed paper for the official notification, or contacting someone in IT as the printer was bust.

Some poor sod in each Department’s digital team needs to track down every reference to “Her Majesty” or “the Queen” on gov.uk.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,112
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

My employer (university) continuing business as normal except - probably - on the day of the funeral.

#leftywokerepublicanhereticalacademics

Hmm. Isn't even a day off for the funeral a bit of a lapse from the high duty shown by the late sovereign? Can't the staff be allowed an hour or two off? It's not like the first Shuttle launch when the techs and I piled into the a/v room to see it on TV. Much easier nowadays.
    How many days off did we have for Diana? It felt like the country ground to a halt for about a fortnight.
    I was on call for A and E that weekend. Nice and quiet.
    I don't think there was any time off work. The funeral was on a Saturday.
    Yes, I remember sitting around in Casualty swigging tea during the hysteria, thinking all those throwing flowers at the hearse were going to cause an accident.
    I'm thinking that having the Royal Train carry HM down during the night might be very wise, given the electric wiring above the lines.
    So they could turn the wires off?
    Pantographs don't like lots of possibly conductive debris. And some idiot might throw something that caused an arc to ground from the wires themselves, possibly through the idiot itself. JJ would be able to opine better, though.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

But in that case it will be even more of a surprise, as will ending up in the Other Place.
  • biggles said:

biggles said:

President Biden orders U.S. flags at the White House and all public buildings, grounds, military posts and naval stations to be flown at half-staff in honor of Queen Elizabeth, until she is buried.

https://twitter.com/vmsalama/status/1567955747853451265

Wow. I don’t think they do that sort of thing much for foreigners…
    None of us are going to see a reign of 70 years again in our lifetimes....
    Speak for yourself. I’m backing me and William to confound you.
    Good luck - but if the King dies tomorrow, Prince William will have to live to 110.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    John Major being interviewed on ITV.
    edited September 2022

Why?
    So it can be replayed/played like the India match.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598

kle4 said:

Figures.

I assumed they'd cancel the match and play it as a one off decider some other time, like the India game.
    Why? There are football matches being played right now (eg at Old Trafford). The idea that you should stop everything is crazy - unless the players themselves have refused to play?

Wait and see - tonight’s games were already in progress (as in fans arriving etc). The weekends fixtures are certain to be pulled ‘out of respect’.
    Why?

• Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,395
    FDR set the hot dog precedent in 1939: "A sitting British ruler—King George VI–visited an American president—Franklin Delano Roosevelt—on his home turf. The four-day excursion “featured all the staples of a royal visit: a sight-seeing tour of Washington, a formal State Dinner and a big bash at the British Embassy,” writes Jason English for Mental Floss. But there were more casual moments, too: like the picnic where the king had his first-ever hot dog."
    With beer.

source: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/when-franklin-delano-roosevelt-served-hot-dogs-king-180963589/

(My sympathy to all of you and, especially to "squareroot2", for the double loss.)
  • Scott_xP said:

Times were hard for the royals in the late 1920s. They couldn't even afford a colour camera...
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

If you come to hell you can join my escape committee.

There's talk of it being extended by a day.

Scott_xP said:

Times were hard for the royals in the late 1920s. They couldn't even afford a colour camera...
    I just assumed real life was black and white until the 50s.
    Andy_JS said:

There's talk of it being extended by a day.
    That would be best - you really need 4 days just in case.

biggles said:

biggles said:

President Biden orders U.S. flags at the White House and all public buildings, grounds, military posts and naval stations to be flown at half-staff in honor of Queen Elizabeth, until she is buried.

Wow. I don’t think they do that sort of thing much for foreigners…
    None of us are going to see a reign of 70 years again in our lifetimes....
    Speak for yourself. I’m backing me and William to confound you.
    Good luck - but if the King dies tomorrow, Prince William will have to live to 110.
    We can do it (he and I are the same age).
    biggles said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

I'm planning to ingratiate myself with the local bigwigs, make the best of it.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

With respect to the number of UK Prime Ministers and US Presidents who held office during the late Queen's reign, perhaps worth noting that she was alive as Princess Elizabeth during the administrations of three other PMs and POTUS:

> Stanley Baldwin, Neville Chamberlain, {Winston Churchill}, Clement Attlee

> Calvin Coolidge, Herbert Hoover, Franklin Roosevelt

Add heads of governments AND states within the Commonwealth, and total is well into three digits.

She has apparently met more US Presidents than anyone else. Interestingly, the most likely second place on the list is one Joseph Biden, who was first elected to the Senate in 1972, aged 30. 10 presidents, including himself.
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

I thought the Queen would live for another 10 years and by then Charles might not have wanted the job.
    biggles said:

kle4 said:

I've always liked dwelling on the practicalities behind grand events. Like, who sets up the sound system for the Papal Conclaves? Who organised the bottles of water in the media room for the Taliban press conference after taking Kabul?

I can just imagine someone at Buckingham Palace frantically hunting round for the headed paper for the official notification, or contacting someone in IT as the printer was bust.

Some poor sod in each Department’s digital team needs to track down every reference to “Her Majesty” or “the Queen” on gov.uk.
    But compared to 1952 ... okay, no internet, but every bit of printed material, from the OHMS brown envelopes upwards ...
  • Only found out about this 3 hours ago.

Feel very disorientated. Lots of confusing emotions. Denial, shock and some anger too.

Very confused. Need time.
    biggles said:

Why?
    Why not just play tomorrow? United are playing at Old Trafford and they could have stopped that match, but - quite rightly - didn’t.

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

My employer (university) continuing business as normal except - probably - on the day of the funeral.

Hmm. Isn't even a day off for the funeral a bit of a lapse from the high duty shown by the late sovereign? Can't the staff be allowed an hour or two off? It's not like the first Shuttle launch when the techs and I piled into the a/v room to see it on TV. Much easier nowadays.
    How many days off did we have for Diana? It felt like the country ground to a halt for about a fortnight.
    I was in a really bad way that day. My cricket match had been called off…
    I had a really hot gf who was vehemently anti Diana for some bizarre reason. She was basically the worst of social media for a week
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,729
    biggles said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Who was it who said there was no reason to worry if you died - if you went to heaven you would be fine, and if you went to hell, at least you'd be with your mates?
  • kle4 said:

Figures.

Wait and see - tonight’s games were already in progress (as in fans arriving etc). The weekends fixtures are certain to be pulled ‘out of respect’.
    Why?

Because even if it means nothing to you, for millions of people this is a big thing. I don't criticise you for not finding any of this significant or having any emotional attachment to these events but for millions of people the Queen embodied the best things about this country and her passing is an historic event which needs to be properly marked.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,050
    biggles said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

If he'll is a perpetuity of @Leons instagrammed dinners, count me in.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,182
    From an entirely selfish point of view: they're going to postpone the Traffor11+, aren't they? Due on the 19th.
    Months, this has hung over us. Finally, she's peaking, but she's also desperate for it to be over. She's very borderline, and she panics, and she doesn't fall into "Oh I'm sure she'll be fine" territory. Makes me want to weep.
  • DynamoDynamo Posts: 651

Dynamo said:

US advertising company Google has turned the logo on the front page of its website grey.

https://www.google.co.uk looks pretty normal to me.
    Refresh your cache. (Ctrl+F5 if using Windows).

• SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,243
    edited September 2022
    Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Well, there's a rather ominous mention of having bank-holiday like arrangements for it, which would mean it would come out of existing leave entitlement, so perhaps we'll get to show high duty afterall :disappointed:

(Though I can't really see that flying. Edit: not least because this the the last month in our leave year, so many people will not have any leave days left to allocate)

Why?
    To troll whiney posturing cockless lefties on behalf of 1. Right wingers and 2. The vast majority who aren't fussed with that sort of shit but recognise a great and good lady on the one hand, and a load of utter arsewipes on the other.

Hope that clarifies things a bit
    The absolute state of cancelling sporting matches when matches ARE ACTUALLY BEING PLAYED NOW. Either a principle applies or it doesn’t.

(It shouldn’t, if people don’t want to watch a match they are under no obligation to do so)

biggles said:

Why?
    Why not just play tomorrow? United are playing at Old Trafford and they could have stopped that match, but - quite rightly - didn’t.
    Can see it both ways, but more commenting on what I expect than what I want (I have tickets).
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,727
    Just published: front page of the Financial Times international edition Friday September 9 https://on.ft.com/3L35JkY https://twitter.com/FinancialTimes/status/1567962240321560578/photo/1

kle4 said:

Figures.

Why?

Because even if it means nothing to you, for millions of people this is a big thing. I don't criticise you for not finding any of this significant or having any emotional attachment to these events but for millions of people the Queen embodied the best things about this country and her passing is an historic event which needs to be properly marked.
    Sure. Then they need not attend or watch the games.
  • Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Yes, I remember sitting around in Casualty swigging tea during the hysteria, thinking all those throwing flowers at the hearse were going to cause an accident.
    I'm thinking that having the Royal Train carry HM down during the night might be very wise, given the electric wiring above the lines.
    Pulling down Beattock, a rapid decline:
    The gradient’s for her, and she’s right on time.
    Cookie said:

From an entirely selfish point of view: they're going to postpone the Traffor11+, aren't they? Due on the 19th.
    Months, this has hung over us. Finally, she's peaking, but she's also desperate for it to be over. She's very borderline, and she panics, and she doesn't fall into "Oh I'm sure she'll be fine" territory. Makes me want to weep.

Unless the funeral's on the 17th, yes, they will. And I doubt if it will be. It won't be on a Sunday either. That leaves the Monday, and I would expect schools to be closed.

I don't know when they'll be held instead. It will throw everything out of kilter.

Sorry to offer such cold comfort.
  • I appreciate, and to some extent share, the sadness expressed by most posters tonight. Interestingly, though, I've talked to all four of my children tonight, all in their early thirties. I was surprised both by how unmoved they were, and more tellingly, by their lack of interest. They just don't see HMQ as relevant to their lives; they think she's done well to get to 96, and that the reaction to her death is a bit over the top. They weren't derogatory about her in the slightest - just not interested. I do wonder if it's a bit of a generational thing - I guess most PB posters are somewhat older.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,874
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

kle4 said:

agingjb2 said:

Royal Poundbury soon? Or Poundbury Regis.

Capital of the New United Kingdom.
    You know, after Irish reunification and Scottish Independence at least rUK can have a menacing new name NUKE - New United Kingdom of England (and Wales, possibly, but it's customary for Wales not to make the acronym, see e.g. ECB)
    Neither happening anyway.

Good to see Truss warmly welcome our new King today as much as she is resolute in refusing indyref2 and removing the Irish Sea border.
    Our King is going to affirm his ancestor's edict about Our Lord's penchant for sodomy, what do you think of that?

kle4 said:

Figures.

Why?

To be clear I think it’s nonsense but it is what will happen. Many, many of you fellow countrymen will think it the right thing to do.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,087
    When Vladimir Putin was about to meet with Queen Elizabeth II in 2003, the Home Secretary's dog barked loudly

The Queen quipped: 'Dogs have interesting instincts, don’t they?"

https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1567937410314510337

I appreciate, and to some extent share, the sadness expressed by most posters tonight. Interestingly, though, I've talked to all four of my children tonight, all in their early thirties. I was surprised both by how unmoved they were, and more tellingly, by their lack of interest. They just don't see HMQ as relevant to their lives; they think she's done well to get to 96, and that the reaction to her death is a bit over the top. They weren't derogatory about her in the slightest - just not interested. I do wonder if it's a bit of a generational thing - I guess most PB posters are somewhat older.

I did cross over into the 35-54 demographic recently.

Selebian said:

No news from mine. Important grant needs to go in though, but deadline is the 22nd.
    Must say our VC/his team are on it since he took over. There was same day guidance every time things changed during the pandemic, too.
    Scott_xP said:
    That's unexpectedly good, and also quiye unsetttling.
    You've Scott'n'Pasted some good images this afternoon. I think that one during lockdown was the best.

The absolute state of cancelling sporting matches when matches ARE ACTUALLY BEING PLAYED NOW. Either a principle applies or it doesn’t.

(It shouldn’t, if people don’t want to watch a match they are under no obligation to do so)

Tonights games are UEFA fixtures, not EFL or PL (i.e. UK only)

There is a difference. By 1830 it was too late to safely cancel the match.

• DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    edited September 2022

kle4 said:

Figures.

Why?

Is it even true that a large proportion of those who were planning to attend a sporting event this weekend would prefer to see the event pulled?
    biggles said:

They had to wait until Victoria came along in 1837?

Only found out about this 3 hours ago.

Feel very disorientated. Lots of confusing emotions. Denial, shock and some anger too.

We're here for you, hun xxxx
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Ever professional, Andres Segovia gave a concert on the same day that he heard that his young son had been electrocuted.

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Pulling down Beattock, a rapid decline:
    The gradient’s for her, and she’s right on time.
    Hmm. ECML, in fact, it seems; so more like Grantshouse summit down to the coast over Burnmouth and thence to Berwick ...

http://www.railwaydata.co.uk/linefiles/route/?ELR=ECM8

I appreciate, and to some extent share, the sadness expressed by most posters tonight. Interestingly, though, I've talked to all four of my children tonight, all in their early thirties. I was surprised both by how unmoved they were, and more tellingly, by their lack of interest. They just don't see HMQ as relevant to their lives; they think she's done well to get to 96, and that the reaction to her death is a bit over the top. They weren't derogatory about her in the slightest - just not interested. I do wonder if it's a bit of a generational thing - I guess most PB posters are somewhat older.

By contrast I’m in my thirties (just) and my wife, many of my friends, and I have been very saddened.

Well that's a very silly thing to say - standard advice in the plans I have seen for preparations for this event are that it will be left up to local organisations etc to decide for themselves what they consider to be appropriate - there's no universal principle standard to apply, of course it doesn't 'apply or it doesn't'.

Just a lot of different groups making different judgment calls for different events, I don't know why you pretend surprise they come up with difference decisions.
    IshmaelZ said:

Why?
    To troll whiney posturing cockless lefties on behalf of 1. Right wingers and 2. The vast majority who aren't fussed with that sort of shit but recognise a great and good lady on the one hand, and a load of utter arsewipes on the other.

Hope that clarifies things a bit
    Not really. Both groups are free to avoid the matches if they so wish. It’s a free country.

Cockless? You childish moron
    ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Unless the funeral's on the 17th, yes, they will. And I doubt if it will be. It won't be on a Sunday either. That leaves the Monday, and I would expect schools to be closed.

I don't know when they'll be held instead. It will throw everything out of kilter.

Sorry to offer such cold comfort.
    Cheers doc.
    Sometimes the unvarnished truth is all you can offer.
    I'm sure there's hundreds of other plans goimg awry up and down the country too.
  • kle4 said:

I did cross over into the 35-54 demographic recently.
    Well done! Hope you stayed at the lower end, though.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,727
    Government unable to say who Lord President currently is.

Penny M not yet declared privy council president - so technically still Mark Spencer.

Plot twist; President presides over the accession council
    https://twitter.com/davidtorrance/status/1567236052535971846
    Selebian said:

Selebian said:

No news from mine. Important grant needs to go in though, but deadline is the 22nd.
    Must say our VC/his team are on it since he took over. There was same day guidance every time things changed during the pandemic, too.
    Our covid guidance is woefully out of date. They basically stopped trying six months ago.
    Cookie said:

I hope not. The idea that you should forcibly cancel life for ordinary people is bloody ludicrous. Good luck to your daughter - I hope she sits on the 19th and passes.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Cookie said:

My nephew is lined up for the 11+ in Buckinghamshire next week. That’s almost certainly going to get postponed too.
  • biggles said:

kle4 said:

Which department or other section of HMG will incur the most cost/waste, by having to mulch the most (or most expensive) amount of stationary (yes even in this day & age) pre-printed with "Her Majesty"?

OR will the PM score an early triumph, by decreeing that all such stocks MUST be used until exhausted, in the interest of the Great British Taxpayer? Even unto the next several reigns!
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,865
    edited September 2022
    biggles said:

kle4 said:

The wokies will be upset at the term His Majesty.

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

kle4 said:

agingjb2 said:

You know, after Irish reunification and Scottish Independence at least rUK can have a menacing new name NUKE - New United Kingdom of England (and Wales, possibly, but it's customary for Wales not to make the acronym, see e.g. ECB)

Good to see Truss warmly welcome our new King today as much as she is resolute in refusing indyref2 and removing the Irish Sea border.
    Our King is going to affirm his ancestor's edict about Our Lord's penchant for sodomy, what do you think of that?

kle4 said:

Figures.

Why?

To be clear I think it’s nonsense but it is what will happen. Many, many of you fellow countrymen will think it the right thing to do.

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

kle4 said:

agingjb2 said:

kle4 said:

Figures.

Why?

Then they need not attend or watch the matches. Are they also going to refuse to go to work tomorrow?
  • I appreciate, and to some extent share, the sadness expressed by most posters tonight. Interestingly, though, I've talked to all four of my children tonight, all in their early thirties. I was surprised both by how unmoved they were, and more tellingly, by their lack of interest. They just don't see HMQ as relevant to their lives; they think she's done well to get to 96, and that the reaction to her death is a bit over the top. They weren't derogatory about her in the slightest - just not interested. I do wonder if it's a bit of a generational thing - I guess most PB posters are somewhat older.

My two kids - aged 15 and 21 - were both very sad about it. And neither of them were at home this evening so it wasn't just a reflection of my mood.
    Toms said:

Ever professional, Andres Segovia gave a concert on the same day that he heard that his young son had been electrocuted.

Back in the day it was not unheard of for royals to have executed siblings or children, so were working on the days that happened - I call that even more dedicated and professional.

FFS 97% of life's choices are resolved by adhering to the principle: don't be a wanker.

If you find that too difficult, fine, but it is still good to stick to the fallback rule, don't be a complete and utter wanker in response to a once in 96 year event. If you can possibly help it.
    biggles said:

Not so. Games have been cancelled at such short notice many many times in the past. However they were right not to cancel it, those who didn’t want to attend didn’t need to do so.

• kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Figures.

I assumed it since they've already lost one day and they've decided to forego another - in which case a new date makes more sense than trying to squeeze it into 3, which cannot be guaranteed.
    Naaah... it is all about respect for Her Majesty. Odds are all sport will be cancelled as a mark of respect.

biggles said:

kle4 said:

Which department or other section of HMG will incur the most cost/waste, by having to mulch the most (or most expensive) amount of stationary (yes even in this day & age) pre-printed with "Her Majesty"?

OR will the PM score an early triumph, by decreeing that all such stocks MUST be used until exhausted, in the interest of the Great British Taxpayer? Even unto the next several reigns!
    In aggregate (though not Government) I reckon the QCs/KCs are facing the biggest cost.

Dynamo said:

kle4 said:

Figures.

Why?

Is it even true that a large proportion of those who were planning to attend a sporting event this weekend would prefer to see the event pulled?
    Probably not, but the organisers have made the call and can hardly have polled ticketholders before they did so. It's hardly worth throwing a strop about, minor disruptions like this are bound to occur. Exam cancellations and that sort of thing would be more worth getting aggrieved over.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

And (apart from a short piece on NPR advising people that they can save time and money by roasting two chickens at once), it’s wall to wall on US news media.
    Isn't american news even more royal obsessed than ours?
    Can confirm. It’s quite absurd.

An American couple on the table next to us told us the news in Tremezzo this evening. They seemed surprised we could still face dinner.

Stiff upper lip and all that.
    I am drowning my sorrows and paying my respects with a pizza supper at an (extremely unhealthy and not particularly Italian) Italian restaurant in upstate New York.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583

This is why I doubt the mourning bounce will be as enormous for Truss as some of the (older) faithful on here seem to think. She will get some benefit nonetheless.

My children in their twenties undoubtedly understand the magnitude of the moment but don't feel the grief.
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 926

I'm mid-40s, but that's about my stance too: 96 was a good innings. Clearly there should be a state funeral, but cancelling a pile of sporting events seems a bit OTT. (Mind you, the most notable effect on my life is the cancellation of next week's rail strikes that would otherwise have been annoying, so I can't complain too much about overreactions...)
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

It was till the seventies.
    It was the coal dust.
    ….

biggles said:

Not so. Games have been cancelled at such short notice many many times in the past. However they were right not to cancel it, those who didn’t want to attend didn’t need to do so.

Name one. You’ll find in the your example it was unavoidable.

• A friend has pointed out Penny Mordaunt, as Lord President of the Council, has a key role in the accession process.

She's going to drop in a blatant innuendo somewhere.

You think she’ll rise to the occasion?

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Figures.

Naaah... it is all about respect for Her Majesty. Odds are all sport will be cancelled as a mark of respect.
    I can't help thinking, if the Queen is up there somewhere looking down, she'd be a bit miffed if there was no horse racing to watch.
  • biggles said:

By contrast I’m in my thirties (just) and my wife, many of my friends, and I have been very saddened.
    Yes. To be clear, I wasn't suggesting that my kids' reaction was universal or typical. Nor that all PB posters are doddery oldies like me. But I reckon you're among the younger end of contributors, with a few others. I was just curious about my own lots' reaction. (They're lefties, mind you!).
  • The only thing more boring than endless royal mourning is people banging on about endless royal mourning.

• MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Cookie said:

Scott_xP said:
    That's unexpectedly good, and also quiye unsetttling.
    You've Scott'n'Pasted some good images this afternoon. I think that one during lockdown was the best.
    Reminds me of Ghost World when Coleslaw is dead.

Not sure I like this picture though. 😕
    edited September 2022

biggles said:

kle4 said:

You'd be surprised how much HMG expects us to use the internet. And even when doing things on paper, to download the bumf and print it out at our own expense.

Your comment has prompted me to turn to the filing cabinet fish out the tax return I submitted on paper a few days ago, and interestingly it is not headed "Her Majesty's ..." but "HM Revenue and Customs", while addresses etc are given in that form or as HMRC tout court. Which may indicate someone has been unusually sensible. Pace our wokefinders, there is often a great deal of sense in de-gendering texts and documents ...
  • any world reaction yet? Putin?
    Scott_xP said:

Government unable to say who Lord President currently is.

Penny M not yet declared privy council president - so technically still Mark Spencer.

Plot twist; President presides over the accession council
    https://twitter.com/davidtorrance/status/1567236052535971846

It doesn't matter. If the Lord President is absent, or ill, or vacant, any cabinet minister may act as Lord President. For example, in 1928 when Balfour was ill and papers needed to be prepared for a regency, the Home Secretary Joynson-Hicks acted as Lord President.

Truss is properly appointed and could be her own Lord President if necessary. Or invite another cabinet minister already appointed to act as one, Cleverly or Zahawi being the obvious choices.
  • HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

The Commonwealth has a new Head.

I don’t think that’s hereditary?
    It’s not, but the Commonwealth agreed a while ago that Charles would succeed.
    Though William has said he may not head it when he is King
    I know it was agreed but presumably there needs to be a ratification of some kind

Dynamo said:

kle4 said:

Figures.

Why?

Is it even true that a large proportion of those who were planning to attend a sporting event this

weekend would prefer to see the event pulled?
    Scant/zero evidence of that so far. Yet many on here think the cancellations are the right thing to do. Funny old world.

• FDR set the hot dog precedent in 1939: "A sitting British ruler—King George VI–visited an American president—Franklin Delano Roosevelt—on his home turf. The four-day excursion “featured all the staples of a royal visit: a sight-seeing tour of Washington, a formal State Dinner and a big bash at the British Embassy,” writes Jason English for Mental Floss. But there were more casual moments, too: like the picnic where the king had his first-ever hot dog."
    With beer.

source: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/when-franklin-delano-roosevelt-served-hot-dogs-king-180963589/

(My sympathy to all of you and, especially to "squareroot2", for the double loss.)

Mr & Mrs Windsor made quite a hit with the American public on that historic visit. With the picnic at Hyde Park being highlight for most of US public.

The King and Queen showed America (via newsreels) that they were A-OK by our standards.

AND maintained proper British Exceptionalism by eating their hot dogs with knife and fork.
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

It was till the seventies.
    It was the coal dust.
    And soot. Edinburgh, Glasgow, all black in my childish memories to the 1960s.
    edited September 2022

biggles said:

Yes. To be clear, I wasn't suggesting that my kids' reaction was universal or typical. Nor that all PB posters are doddery oldies like me. But I reckon you're among the younger end of contributors, with a few others. I was just curious about my own lots' reaction. (They're lefties, mind you!).
    Yes, sorry - to be clear I’m not saying you’re wrong - just observing I’m in a different bubble. Aren’t we all?

• CatManCatMan Posts: 2,720
    edited September 2022
    biggles said:

biggles said:

Name one. You’ll find in the your example it was unavoidable.

Games get cancelled during play. I’ve been at two football games called off for weather (one high winds, one a frozen pitch). It is possible, but I suspect it was more prudent to allow these games to go ahead. The weekend is a different matter.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

Only found out about this 3 hours ago.

Feels like a very surreal day in my life, I have been crying on and off like when my Nan died, and I’m needing cuddles. I don’t like getting thoughts about the lovely Queen is gone.

I feel more than happy for politics and debating to stop, but I know I have get up and go and fill my time up with some very practical activities instead.
    IshmaelZ said:

FFS 97% of life's choices are resolved by adhering to the principle: don't be a wanker.

If you find that too difficult, fine, but it is still good to stick to the fallback rule, don't be a complete and utter wanker in response to a once in 96 year event. If you can possibly help it.
    In what way am I being a wanker? I’m merely saying that games should only be cancelled if players refuse to play or the majority of ticket holders refuse to attend. Given we have no evidence of either, why do you get to decide for other people? Do you suggest we cancel work for the next ten days? Close everything down?

This discussion has been closed.