Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A sad day – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I mean the senior head of state in the world, head of a commonwealth of 2.5 billion of the worlds inhabitants and monarch for 70 years has died.
    The idea that some stuff wouldnt get cancelled for a bit is bizarre.

Quite. The 'it's an old woman dying' stuff is just a bit dismissive of the fact its a head of state, and its the day of the event. Even if an event tomorrow was cancelled, well, it's the next full day after, I would be very surprised if things are not occasionally cancelled in such circumstances in other places.
    Why cancel them if people are happy to staff them and attend them?
    It’s surely not inappropriate that a period of mourning is observed. I think 10 days too long but them’s the breaks in a 1000-year-old monarchy.
    10 days is needed to transport the body back from Scotland, have the lying in state next week and the full State Funeral on Monday week which will be a public holiday.

Heads of State from around the world will be there in one of the biggest gatherings of world leaders for years not just in the UK
    The funeral will not be a public holiday unless they make that change during the planning. As currently set out it will not be
    The day of the funeral as a weekday will be a public holiday and national day of mourning I can assure you, though am not going too much into how I know that
    I will not be remotely surprised if it is, i was just pointing out that unless and until a bank holiday is announced, its not currently set to be
    Bit of a bugger for all the patients I have booked.
    You can still see them.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,120
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

I appreciate, and to some extent share, the sadness expressed by most posters tonight. Interestingly, though, I've talked to all four of my children tonight, all in their early thirties. I was surprised both by how unmoved they were, and more tellingly, by their lack of interest. They just don't see HMQ as relevant to their lives; they think she's done well to get to 96, and that the reaction to her death is a bit over the top. They weren't derogatory about her in the slightest - just not interested. I do wonder if it's a bit of a generational thing - I guess most PB posters are somewhat older.

And yet my 16 year old daughter seems genuinely a bit shocked and sad
    And my 81 year old Mother is delighted that a parasite has gone.
    Wasn't an easy phone call at all.
    Ivermectin did the trick then?

This is all extremely sad.

But the BBC coverage now is absolute cringe

Time to turn off then.
    It's off, love the dog tubbs
    Sadly she is also a bit tubby - 3 kg heavier than last year, so a fewer treats for a while…
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,057
    kle4 said:

The diplomatic niceties still intact

Vladimir Putin has written to King Charles following the death of the Queen.

The Russian president conveyed his condolences despite the ongoing conflict in Ukraine and the Queen’s support for its people.

The Russian leader’s note to the new king read: ‘Your Majesty, please accept our deepest condolences on the passing of Queen Elizabeth II.

‘The most important events in the recent history of the United Kingdom are inextricably linked with the name of Her Majesty.

‘For many decades, Elizabeth II rightfully enjoyed the love and respect of her subjects, as well as authority on the world stage.

‘I wish you courage and perseverance in the face of this heavy, irreparable loss.

‘I ask you to convey the words of sincere sympathy and support to the members of the royal family and all the people of Great Britain.’

https://metro.co.uk/2022/09/08/queen-elizabeth-ii-dead-vladimir-putin-writes-to-king-charles-17331238/

I hope Charles's response was a rather curt two words.
  • Options

A different world.

I have been around a long time and all my life I was brought up to respect Elizabeth II. Which I always did.

In the pub tonight, they were showing the football then flashed over to Sky News for 5 mins. Then back to the football. No one seemed interested.

A different world 😡😡😡

One of the reasons anger is one of the emotions I'm feeling tonight.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,590

Paging @TSE

Do we know the code name that replaces London Bridge?

Menai Bridge?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I mean the senior head of state in the world, head of a commonwealth of 2.5 billion of the worlds inhabitants and monarch for 70 years has died.

Quite. The 'it's an old woman dying' stuff is just a bit dismissive of the fact its a head of state, and its the day of the event. Even if an event tomorrow was cancelled, well, it's the next full day after, I would be very surprised if things are not occasionally cancelled in such circumstances in other places.
    It’s surely not inappropriate that a period of mourning is observed. I think 10 days too long but them’s the breaks in a 1000-year-old monarchy.
    10 days is needed to transport the body back from Scotland, have the lying in state next week and the full State Funeral on Monday week which will be a public holiday.

Heads of State from around the world will be there in one of the biggest gatherings of world leaders for years not just in the UK
    Not sure if you are correct as I understand she will lie in state in Holyrood Palace for 3 days before being returned to London by train on Tuesday
    Which is next week
    Yes - sorry - I misread your comment
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,813
    I do not recommend doing 15 km hikes in 30C with zero shade through deep sand armed only with a warm bottle of vinho Branco, even if it does get 4.1 from Vivino

I am somewhat crocked
  • Options
    Before dawn on D+9, the day of the funeral, in the silent hall, the jewels will be taken off the coffin and cleaned. In 1952, it took three jewellers almost two hours to remove all the dust. (The Star of Africa, on the royal sceptre, is the second-largest cut diamond in the world.) Most of the country will be waking to a day off. Shops will close, or go to bank holiday hours. Some will display pictures of the Queen in their windows. The stock market will not open. The night before, there will have been church services in towns across the UK. There are plans to open football stadiums for memorial services if necessary.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

A bit awkward for Barbados who ditched the monarchy a few months ago.

I respect their decision to be honest - there's several places that have been clear in their intention to drop the monarchy, and in the case of Jamaica have been promising to do it for at least 15 years and seemingly have the political consensus to (though the process is constitutionally trickier for them I think than Barbados), yet have not yet done it, possibly due to the Queen. At least Barbados just went 'Look, we want to do this, there's no reason to hold off any longer'.
    And it doesn't stop them paying their respects like any other country of the world, as well.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,846
    biggles said:

Sandpit said:

biggles said:

Carnyx said:

biggles said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

I've always liked dwelling on the practicalities behind grand events. Like, who sets up the sound system for the Papal Conclaves? Who organised the bottles of water in the media room for the Taliban press conference after taking Kabul?

I can just imagine someone at Buckingham Palace frantically hunting round for the headed paper for the official notification, or contacting someone in IT as the printer was bust.

Ha yes. I’ve been that IT guy in the background on too many work occasions. It’s a big responsibility, to know things that only the CEO knows and not f… it up.

Interesting that the PM got the message at 16:30 today, two hours before the rest of us, and while the royal plane occupants were still in the car to Balmoral.
    Jacinda Ardern said she was woken up by a policeman waving a torch in her face at 4:50am NZ time, ie 5:50pm UK.

Having said that they might have waited until a “reasonable hour” to wake her.
    That was about as reasonable an hour as she could have expected. 40 minutes later and it was on the news. Sometimes these things happen in the middle of the night, as with the death of Diana.
    Agree with every word, but rolling it back to the first post… a policeman with a torch in her face? Feels a bit dramatic.

One of her security squad trying not to wake her husband while at the same time helping reassure her it's not an intruder?
    The intruder thing is what I was thinking of. Don’t know about you but if I’m woken up with a torch in my face I think I’d be kicking and screaming, and thinking “intruder”.

Minor point I know tonight, just intrigued me.

You know that you’re alone in the house. Presumably the PM of New Zealand knows that she isn’t, and that there’s established protocol if she needs to be woken in the middle of the night?
    No, I’ve thought about this. My wife sleeps on the door side of the bed and so will always get disturbed by the burglar first.
    Your wife takes the door side?

I always take the door side, even in hotels. For just the reason you mention.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,174
    Leon said:

I do not recommend doing 15 km hikes in 30C with zero shade through deep sand armed only with a warm bottle of vinho Branco, even if it does get 4.1 from Vivino

I am somewhat crocked

If you don’t have a dehydration headache, you can count yourself lucky…
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940

Paging @TSE

London Bridge hasn't happened.
    It's Unicorn in Scotland.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339

This is all extremely sad.

But the BBC coverage now is absolute cringe

Aarrggghhh!

The words young people are looking for are “cringe worthy”, not “cringe”.

Aaarrrggghhh!!!!!!
  • Options
    DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    edited September 2022

Scott_xP said:

Remarkable statement from President Macron. Hard to imagine a contemporary British prime minister being as gracious about a great French figure passing. https://twitter.com/EdwardGLuce/status/1567976520404336640/photo/1

Great tribute. Macron is, and always has been, a class act. Much classier than our recent leaders.
    Macron has slurped to the Count of Paris too. What a creep. If he'd been any more obsequious he'd have bowed to "his majesty". I wonder which of the two of them will get the better seat in Westminster Abbey next week. Funny how right-wing Tories usually despise the French but they love a Frenchman who writes a fawning eulogy to a British monarch. They think it's really upstanding and dignified of him to display the sort of behaviour that makes for a good foreign johnny.

• Options

A different world.

I have been around a long time and all my life I was brought up to respect Elizabeth II. Which I always did.

In the pub tonight, they were showing the football then flashed over to Sky News for 5 mins. Then back to the football. No one seemed interested.

A different world 😡😡😡

You shouldn't. I don't think it's what she would have wanted.
  • Options

Liz Truss is going to win on ideas, not on being interested or engaging.

She has a big f*** off economic catastrophe to overcome before she "wins" on anything.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    Think I'll psyche myself up and close out with a comment that I know will be dreadfully unpopular but it's how I feel and so I'm just going to say it -

Thought Nicholas Witchell made a good fist of it today.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,632

A different world.

A different world 😡😡😡

I don't really remember ever being consciously brought up to respect the Queen. I don't think my parents ever mentioned such things, nor did it come in school. I vaguely recall seeing the Diana funeral on TV and finding it all over the top.

I think I'm just naturally defential to authority.

• Options

A different world.

A different world 😡😡😡

Wait, you’re angry?
    That really makes no sense.
  • Options
    ping said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Oooh I’ve been looking for a betting angle on this, all day. At about 2pm, I was going to propose a market on “hours until QE’s death is announced.” Then I realised I wasn’t a dickhead and scrubbed my post.

Anyway, I think I can get away with this;

To attend the funeral?

Xi Jinping

Yes 10/1
    No 1/10

Bolsonaro

Yes 1/5
    No 5/1

Putin

Yes 100/1
    No 1/100

Zelensky

Yes Evens
    No Evens

Others on request.

Are my odds wrong, PB?

Oooo Zelensky is an interesting outlier. A reverse visit, underlining the gains made. Hmmm

• Options
    kinabalu said:

Think I'll psyche myself up and close out with a comment that I know will be dreadfully unpopular but it's how I feel and so I'm just going to say it -

He's literally spent his whole life preparing for this day so I am glad to hear it.
  • Options

A different world.

A different world 😡😡😡

Wait, you’re angry?

A different world.

A different world 😡😡😡

Wait, you’re angry?
    He is always angry, it is his personality. Yesterday it was about adverts at Waterloo Station
  • Options
    Good on Putin.

Yes, he should be invited to the funeral, although I wouldn’t expect him to come.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

I appreciate, and to some extent share, the sadness expressed by most posters tonight. Interestingly, though, I've talked to all four of my children tonight, all in their early thirties. I was surprised both by how unmoved they were, and more tellingly, by their lack of interest. They just don't see HMQ as relevant to their lives; they think she's done well to get to 96, and that the reaction to her death is a bit over the top. They weren't derogatory about her in the slightest - just not interested. I do wonder if it's a bit of a generational thing - I guess most PB posters are somewhat older.

You survived the trek then.
    ...and the angry German.
  • Options
    biggles said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Oooh I’ve been looking for a betting angle on this, all day. At about 2pm, I was going to propose a market on “hours until QE’s death is announced.” Then I realised I wasn’t a dickhead and scrubbed my post.

Anyway, I think I can get away with this;

To attend the funeral?

Xi Jinping

Yes 10/1
    No 1/10

Bolsonaro

Yes 1/5
    No 5/1

Putin

Yes 100/1
    No 1/100

Zelensky

Yes Evens
    No Evens

Others on request.

Are my odds wrong, PB?

Oooo Zelensky is an interesting outlier. A reverse visit, underlining the gains made. Hmmm

If I were him I'd not leave the borders of the country until every inch of Ukrainian soil was liberated and so on.

It's not like he met the Queen? Bit more interested in the practical relationship.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

You survived the trek then.
    ...and the angry German.
    The question is did the German survive…
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Paging @TSE

Menai Bridge?
    Imaginary Garden Bridge?
  • Options
    A stunning fact of the day from Helen Lewis.

"She was six weeks older than Marilyn Monroe"

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,590

Carnyx said:

Paging @TSE

Menai Bridge?
    Imaginary Garden Bridge?
    Actually, come ot think of it, just London Bridge. SOP and all that.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,223
    Leon said:

I am somewhat crocked

Be grateful you finished the walk unchanged, then
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,846
    kinabalu said:

He was indeed very good once the announcement was made. Having him on three hours early, with nothing to talk about except the lack of an announcement, was the problem.
  • Options
    EPG said:

I regularly walked 20km in my thirties without even a bottle of white wine, though usually in rather rainy places.

Yes it’s not the length, it’s the particular conditions. I can hike 20km without much of a problem

It was the heat, the lack of shade, and worst of all THE SAND

At times it was quite nightmarish. And no way to escape other than to complete the task. This coast is remote

• Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    Dynamo said:

Scott_xP said:

Remarkable statement from President Macron. Hard to imagine a contemporary British prime minister being as gracious about a great French figure passing. https://twitter.com/EdwardGLuce/status/1567976520404336640/photo/1

Great tribute. Macron is, and always has been, a class act. Much classier than our recent leaders.
    Macron has slurped to the Count of Paris too. What a creep. If he'd been any more obsequious he'd have bowed to "his majesty". I wonder which of the two of them will get the better seat in Westminster Abbey next week. Funny how right-wing Tories usually despise the French but they love a Frenchman who writes a fawning eulogy to a British monarch. They think it's really upstanding and dignified of him to display the sort of behaviour that makes for a good foreign johnny.

Let me guess which ex-G8 leader is your favourite.
  • Options

Good on Putin.

Yes, he should be invited to the funeral, although I wouldn’t expect him to come.

Who would sit next to him?

• Options
    Sandpit said:

biggles said:

Sandpit said:

biggles said:

Carnyx said:

biggles said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

I've always liked dwelling on the practicalities behind grand events. Like, who sets up the sound system for the Papal Conclaves? Who organised the bottles of water in the media room for the Taliban press conference after taking Kabul?

I can just imagine someone at Buckingham Palace frantically hunting round for the headed paper for the official notification, or contacting someone in IT as the printer was bust.

Ha yes. I’ve been that IT guy in the background on too many work occasions. It’s a big responsibility, to know things that only the CEO knows and not f… it up.

Interesting that the PM got the message at 16:30 today, two hours before the rest of us, and while the royal plane occupants were still in the car to Balmoral.
    Jacinda Ardern said she was woken up by a policeman waving a torch in her face at 4:50am NZ time, ie 5:50pm UK.

That was about as reasonable an hour as she could have expected. 40 minutes later and it was on the news. Sometimes these things happen in the middle of the night, as with the death of Diana.
    Agree with every word, but rolling it back to the first post… a policeman with a torch in her face? Feels a bit dramatic.

One of her security squad trying not to wake her husband while at the same time helping reassure her it's not an intruder?
    The intruder thing is what I was thinking of. Don’t know about you but if I’m woken up with a torch in my face I think I’d be kicking and screaming, and thinking “intruder”.

You know that you’re alone in the house. Presumably the PM of New Zealand knows that she isn’t, and that there’s established protocol if she needs to be woken in the middle of the night?
    No, I’ve thought about this. My wife sleeps on the door side of the bed and so will always get disturbed by the burglar first.

I’m that sort of a guy.

Joking aside we both subconsciously now have “a side” to any bed irrespective of the surroundings (I’m on the right as you look at it since you ask) which does place me burglar wise at home.

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    edited September 2022

Good on Putin.

Elton John and David Furnish.
  • Options

Good on Putin.

If he arrives, he should not leave.
  • Options
    A bloke outside Windsor Castle made a comment on Beeb news earlier that continues to resonate with me. I cant get it out of my head:

"She taught us the difference between right and wrong".

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,907

A different world.

A different world 😡😡😡

A frail old lady who lived a good, valuable life and died at 96 after a great innings is sad but isn’t shocking. People knew she was in ill health. It wasn’t like Diana, who was killed suddenly in her prime.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Sandpit said:

biggles said:

Sandpit said:

biggles said:

Carnyx said:

biggles said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

I’m that sort of a guy.

Joking aside we both subconsciously now have “a side” to any bed irrespective of the surroundings (I’m on the right as you look at it since you ask) which does place me burglar wise at home.

Same for me, I’m always on the right hand side, looking from the feet end. Once dated a girl who turned the bed round between our first and second nights together. It didn’t last. Just weird.
  • Options

Good on Putin.

My wife suggested that now was the time to tell Putin we will let bygones be bygones and invite him to come to the funeral, then when he gets here tell him there's a vodka luge and when he goes there close the door on him.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    biggles said:

Good on Putin.

If he arrives, he should not leave.
    "You'd like to come? Eh, it's your funeral."
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Rest of the Tour of Britain has been cancelled. Apparently one of the major issues was that it took quite a bit of policing and some of the police have been recalled to London.

I'll add this: my understanding is that there are also serious operational reasons, involving police resources (motos), why this decision was taken. Officers have been recalled for duty in London.
    https://twitter.com/nedboulting/status/1567993626457944064
  • Options
    At least the competition for Worst Possible Tweet has already been won. So no need for anyone else to try

Incredibly she’s a senior Professor at a major American uni. She’s now deleted the tweet after getting the worst ratio in history
  • Options
    Leon said:

At least the competition for Worst Possible Tweet has already been won. So no need for anyone else to try

Incredibly she’s a senior Professor at a major American uni. She’s now deleted the tweet after getting the worst ratio in history

Seems strange, people must know what reaction they'll get to such a tweet, I don't see why you'd be so crude about it without wanting a reaction.

Weirder still is why some people hate JK Rowling so much, even when its on her talking about something unrelated to their fury like the Queen.

https://twitter.com/MeMyselfOnline/status/1567952551177240576/photo/1
  • Options
    Not sure if this is posted but every US flag pretty much anywhere in the world is going to fly at half-mast until the Queen is laid to rest.

Remarkable. The US President ordering all flags on public buildings throughout America and on its embassies around the world to be flown at half mast until the Queen’s funeral in ten days time.

Can you imagine this happening for any other human on this planet?

https://twitter.com/ThatAlexWoman/status/1567965520779165699
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Leon said:

Indeed, even Jeff Bezos slammed her
    https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1567939695241269249?s=20&t=mWXB4ivxsrsaCDNAU4KP6g
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Not sure if this is posted but every US flag pretty much anywhere in the world is going to fly at half-mast until the Queen is laid to rest.

Remarkable. The US President ordering all flags on public buildings throughout America and on its embassies around the world to be flown at half mast until the Queen’s funeral in ten days time.

Americans take flags really seriously.

For a long period too.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Rest of the Tour of Britain has been cancelled. Apparently one of the major issues was that it took quite a bit of policing and some of the police have been recalled to London.

I'll add this: my understanding is that there are also serious operational reasons, involving police resources (motos), why this decision was taken. Officers have been recalled for duty in London.
    https://twitter.com/nedboulting/status/1567993626457944064

Quite why anyone would want to watch the ever dismal Tour of Britain when Remco is storming the Vuelta, I have no idea.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Leon said:

What an extraordinarily deranged tweet.
    Laughably demented. If someone said such a thing in a pub you would back away from them (unless you were Casino Royale in which case you would break a pool cue on her head).
  • Options

kle4 said:

The diplomatic niceties still intact

Vladimir Putin has written to King Charles following the death of the Queen.

The Russian president conveyed his condolences despite the ongoing conflict in Ukraine and the Queen’s support for its people.

The Russian leader’s note to the new king read: ‘Your Majesty, please accept our deepest condolences on the passing of Queen Elizabeth II.

‘The most important events in the recent history of the United Kingdom are inextricably linked with the name of Her Majesty.

‘For many decades, Elizabeth II rightfully enjoyed the love and respect of her subjects, as well as authority on the world stage.

‘I wish you courage and perseverance in the face of this heavy, irreparable loss.

‘I ask you to convey the words of sincere sympathy and support to the members of the royal family and all the people of Great Britain.’

https://metro.co.uk/2022/09/08/queen-elizabeth-ii-dead-vladimir-putin-writes-to-king-charles-17331238/

I hope Charles's response was a rather curt two words.
    If pressed for a civil response I think I'd have to simply go.

"I was left speechless and don't know what to say regarding your kind message"
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Feeling a bit numb now that it’s sunk in a bit, but not as sad as I thought I would be.

Looking forward to some good pomp and ceremony in the coming weeks.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

AlistairM said:

For a long period too.
    As someone notes upthread, the Queen was the most famous person in the world, and - more modestly - a figure in American history as well.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

That really is astonishing. The most amazing honour/honor from them.
  • Options

kle4 said:

AlistairM said:

For a long period too.
    As someone notes upthread, the Queen was the most famous person in the world, and - more modestly - a figure in American history as well.
    Genuinely impressive gesture.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Well I never, people are different.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,245
    Amazing. We've got a king. Bit of a head-fuck.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1567939695241269249?s=20&t=mWXB4ivxsrsaCDNAU4KP6g
    After one Twitter user wrote “Ewww you stink,” Anya responded: “You mean like your p-ssy?”

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372
    Leon said:

I am somewhat crocked

Did the German survive your encounter ?
  • Options

Leon said:

Laughably demented. If someone said such a thing in a pub you would back away from them (unless you were Casino Royale in which case you would break a pool cue on her head).
    She then doubled down and said several more appalling things - not just about the queen but about anyone who argued with her first vile tweet

It definitely came across as a mental issue rather than a considered ideology
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Seems strange, people must know what reaction they'll get to such a tweet, I don't see why you'd be so crude about it without wanting a reaction.

Weirder still is why some people hate JK Rowling so much, even when its on her talking about something unrelated to their fury like the Queen.

https://twitter.com/MeMyselfOnline/status/1567952551177240576/photo/1
    From what I can see, Twitter took it down, not her. Just another person wanting the attention on Twitter and taking their chance.

The Rowling stuff is disgusting.
  • Options

Good on Putin.

Good on Putin.

Jeremy Corbyn of course!
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2022
    Flags at half-mast for the Queen outside the EU Comission.

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1567955457691774977
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

"Relevant to their lives"

What exactly does this mean?
    They have no interest in the Royal family and the existence of the royal family bears no direct relationship to how they run their lives.

Don't forget people below a certain age don't watch live stream TV.
    They do check Internet news and twitter however
    They are selective, and if it involves a paywall, forget it.

When I grew up with just three channels I was lumbered with the Queen's speech at 3 pm on Christmas Day after Top of the Pops, whether I liked it or not. And we had the Telegraph delivered every day which was full of royal news.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    TOPPING said:

Amazing. We've got a king. Bit of a head-fuck.

Jacinda Ardern made several references to “our king, Charles III” which makes me feel like I’ve woken up in some terrifying sci-if dystopia.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

After one Twitter user wrote “Ewww you stink,” Anya responded: “You mean like your p-ssy?”

Is that the modern, twitter, equivalent of replying to anything with “your mum”?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

She then doubled down and said several more appalling things - not just about the queen but about anyone who argued with her first vile tweet

Nah. People have brought up all the horrible things the Brits have done through the ages. It is their right to do so. Here are we wishing that Bad Vlad impales himself on a vodka luge and people are just pointing out that the Brits have done their share of invading also.
  • Options
    Following the very sad news of the death of Her Majesty The Queen, as a mark of respect we will not be going ahead with Prom 71 on Friday 9 September, or the Last Night of the Proms on Saturday 10 September.

https://twitter.com/bbcproms/status/1567992479764598785
  • Options

A different world.

A different world 😡😡😡

Wait, you’re angry?
    It does, it's one of the seven stages of grief.

I can't explain. Maybe because she'd always been Queen, and I'd taken it for granted, and I'm angry now she's left us. Maybe because it was all so sudden today and because I think it's unfair. Maybe because I've heard too many, "I'm not a royalist but.." this evening, which has irritated me. Maybe because I'm afraid of what happens now. I don't know. I just feel angry.

I'm not trying to make points, or score them here, it's just how I feel right
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,153
    AlistairM said:

That is a lovely gesture.

When 9/11 happened, I was working for a US firm and my American colleagues were immensely touched and impressed by the Queen ordering The Star Spangled Banner to be played at the Changing of the Guard. I think the US did not forget that.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,223
    AlistairM said:

Have you seen the number of flags they have out here? I doubt that you'll be right.

• Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I read up on her biography to try to understand what motivated it. Her father was a wealthy Igbo who had multiple houses and met her Trinidadian mother while they were both at university in England. They moved to Nigeria but her mother struggled to settle there and her father had multiple mistresses so eventually her mother moved to the US with the kids. The professor seems to hold the Queen personally responsible for the Nigerian Civil War in the 1960s.
  • Options

Leon said:

Two dickhead posts from both you and @CorrectHorseBattery tonight.

Row back, fast, or you'll lose my respect and I simply won't talk to you again.
  • Options
    Just watched Trudeau. If you haven’t seen it, it’s lovely.
  • Options

Some of those look distinctly 2/3 mast to me. Oh sure, foreshortening you say, but I say it is deliberate disrespect!
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    EPG said:

Dynamo said:

Scott_xP said:

Let me guess which ex-G8 leader is your favourite.
    I haven't got one. I liked Chavez in Venezuela, Morales in Bolivia to a lesser extent. Mélenchon is good in France. I can't imagine Mélenchon giving credence to the "Count's" monarchist shtick the way Macron did, being "received" by him at his country residence.

As for Putin, he has called the new British king "your majesty" and he runs an almost-monarchist shtick himself, not having had a clue, I suspect, about what those Eton boys he met really thought of him.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,228

Good on Putin.

Good on Putin.

Jeremy Corbyn of course!
    Prince Andrew.

It will be his mothers funeral. Having someone there more despised than him would be a decent thing to arrange.
  • Options
    Foggy Furze (Hartlepool) council by-election result:

LAB: 43.9% (+24.1)
    CON: 38.8% (+9.0)
    IND: 12.5% (-17.7)
    LDEM: 4.9% (+4.9)

No Veteran's & People's, (-14.4) Reform (-3.8) and For Britain (-2.1) as prev (2021).

Votes cast: 1,009

Labour GAIN from Independent.

Huge result for Labour in a Red Wall seat
  • Options
    My 13yo daughter's initial reaction was "I wasn't expecting this". I said she was 96 but she explained she didn't see how anyone else could be the monarch. I said imagine being like me, 45, and knowing nothing else or her grandparents in their 70s and 80s who know nothing else. Having a man as monarch will be strange for all of us.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Some of those look distinctly 2/3 mast to me. Oh sure, foreshortening you say, but I say it is deliberate disrespect!
    Not the actions of an institution that "never wants Britain back", it would seem. We will move back again closer in time, one way or the other.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

They have no interest in the Royal family and the existence of the royal family bears no direct relationship to how they run their lives.

When I grew up with just three channels I was lumbered with the Queen's speech at 3 pm on Christmas Day after Top of the Pops, whether I liked it or not. And we had the Telegraph delivered every day which was full of royal news.
    Still today there are a lot of royal-themed articles in most British newspapers.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

A different world.

A different world 😡😡😡

Wait, you’re angry?
    It does, it's one of the seven stages of grief.

I can't explain. Maybe because she'd always been Queen, and I'd taken it for granted, and I'm angry now she's left us. Maybe because it was all so sudden today and because I think it's unfair. Maybe because I've heard too many, "I'm not a royalist but.." this evening, which has irritated me. Maybe because I'm afraid of what happens now. I don't know. I just feel angry.

I'm not trying to make points, or score them here, it's just how I feel right
    It is your right to feel how you feel. Ponder that she was a 96-yr old woman who lived a full, largely happy, fulfilling, and dutiful life. She didn't end it hooked up to machines unable to live unaided but doing her thing almost up to the very end.

It was a life well lived.

And also remember that she presided, in loose terms, over a democracy wherein dissent even against the monarchy she headed, is a well-earned right and celebrated as an integral part of our society.

Nothing to be angry about perhaps not even too upset.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Yep, just in from an evening in a pub full of whippersnappers not giving a feck, slightly and surprisingly shocking to me, and watched his tribute. Witchell’s apotheosis for sure, hitting the right notes In the right order, just dreading watching it repeated ad nauseum.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nah. People have brought up all the horrible things the Brits have done through the ages. It is their right to do so. Here are we wishing that Bad Vlad impales himself on a vodka luge and people are just pointing out that the Brits have done their share of invading also.
    That’s very different from wishing “an excruciating death” on a dying 96 year old woman who has lived a life of endless duty and has never invaded anyone

What this wretched professor said is grotesquely offensive - and was surely meant as such

It’s her right to say it, and it’s the right of anyone sane to call her out for vileness, and it’s her employers’ right to sack her if they want. Her career must be in peril
    Her university has put out a mealy-mouthed statement about it:

https://twitter.com/CarnegieMellon/status/1567975991330615297
  • Options
    Dynamo said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Still today there are a lot of royal-themed articles in most British newspapers.
    Young people don't read newspapers
  • Options
    edited September 2022

kinabalu said:

Yep, just in from an evening in a pub full of whippersnappers not giving a feck, slightly and surprisingly shocking to me, and watched his tribute. Witchell’s apotheosis for sure, hitting the right notes In the right order, just dreading watching it repeated ad nauseum.
    Tributes in the Commons could get pretty repetitive pretty fast, since they're going into Saturday as well apparently. Hopefully they have a lot their own royal anecdotes to impart.

Who will be the brave soul to go against the grain and talk about so much respect of course, but perhaps time to talk about a republic? I believe a few did in 36.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

That’s very different from wishing “an excruciating death” on a dying 96 year old woman who has lived a life of endless duty and has never invaded anyone

What this wretched professor said is grotesquely offensive - and was surely meant as such

It’s her right to say it, and it’s the right of anyone sane to call her out for vileness, and it’s her employers’ right to sack her if they want. Her career must be in peril
    You I believe wish Putin an excruciating death and who's to say you are wrong in wishing it. Oh and that German tourist, the rightness of which is less clear cut.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

I read up on her biography to try to understand what motivated it. Her father was a wealthy Igbo who had multiple houses and met her Trinidadian mother while they were both at university in England. They moved to Nigeria but her mother struggled to settle there and her father had multiple mistresses so eventually her mother moved to the US with the kids. The professor seems to hold the Queen personally responsible for the Nigerian Civil War in the 1960s.
    That makes sense. The rage was clearly personal and felt Freudian - like she was expressing murderous Electra complex fury at a parental figure. And so it is

The queen is - was! - a parent/mother figure for hundreds of millions of people around the world. Her death will take many people very strangely

It is wall to wall news here in Portugal
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,460
    edited September 2022

Andy_JS said:

What it says.
    One of my favourite quotes is this:

"It is a poor centre of a man’s actions, himself"

https://www.bartleby.com/3/1/23.html

It reminds me of someone at school who said he wasn't interested in the news and never watched or listened to it. I asked him why. He said something like: "Because it doesn't have anything to do with me personally". I thought he was an idiot for saying such a thing, and still think so now.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2022
    Jonathan Dimbleby was surprisingly good on ITV, as was some of the Jon Snow's slighly more critical, obviously long ago pre-recorded programme on Channel 4. The two best perspectives I've seen all day, with Clive Myrie also doing an interesting job on the BBC for a while talking about his mother's enthusiasm for the Queen in 1950's Jamaica.

The reaction of the under-40s will indeed be important for the royal family.

• Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913

Foggy Furze (Hartlepool) council by-election result:

LAB: 43.9% (+24.1)
    CON: 38.8% (+9.0)
    IND: 12.5% (-17.7)
    LDEM: 4.9% (+4.9)

No Veteran's & People's, (-14.4) Reform (-3.8) and For Britain (-2.1) as prev (2021).

Votes cast: 1,009

Labour GAIN from Independent.

Huge result for Labour in a Red Wall seat

They were actually much further ahead of the Tories when this ward was fought in May of this year, these changes are from May 2021
  • Options

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

As awful as her statement and views are, better to err on the side of not sacking people for their words alone, even if it means some awful people get to remain employed?
  • Options

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How is defending free speech "mealy mouthed"?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Having a king is going to be very odd. Will take some getting used to. Maybe we should give it to Anne.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    kle4 said:

You’re going to regret this. I can bore for hours and I refer you to the College of Arms as well as the Town and Country Planning (Control of advertising) (England) Regulations 2007 (as amended)which (obviously) covers flags.

“Half-mast means the flag is flown two-thirds of the way up the flagpole with at least the height of the flag between the top of the flag and the top of the flag pole”.

https://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/resources/union-flag-faqs

• Options

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Doesn’t seem very mealy mouthed to me. Unless we want her dismissed, which seems hypocritical, given that most of us are against cancel culture.
    That 50 year old composer was suspended for merely liking a tweet that supported J K Rowling

This woman gets barely a rap on the knuckles for…. That

O Tempura, O Sashimi
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

As awful as her statement and views are, better to err on the side of not sacking people for their words alone, even if it means some awful people get to remain employed?
    She should be sacked for lack of a comma.

This discussion has been closed.