Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A sad day – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    Taz said:
    A bit try hard really.
  • Options
    President Biden orders U.S. flags at the White House and all public buildings, grounds, military posts and naval stations to be flown at half-staff in honor of Queen Elizabeth, until she is buried.

https://twitter.com/vmsalama/status/1567955747853451265
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

pigeon said:

Alistair said:

Glasgow Warriros jusy cancelled their match against Ulster tommorow.

GCW still going ahead with their Liverpool show. Someone ia goong to go for the cheapest of cheap heat.

Supposed to be attending the Frome Cheese Show on Saturday. Not sure if it’s going ahead. nothing announced. Would expect all footy to be off at the weekend.
    There'll likely be a blanket cancellation of all manner of events between now and the funeral.

Ten days from now takes us up to Sunday 18th, though I'm not sure whether or not the C of E would want to hold the funeral on a Sunday. Regardless, I think that most sporting events will probably be cancelled for this weekend and the next.

I've got a small local race I'm meant to be competing in on the 18th and I think even that might get scrubbed in due course.
    Yup life totally disrupted because an old lady died, not even unexpectedly.
    It's what happens when Heads of State die - the nation in question goes a bit over the top. People will have varying tolerance for how much is too much, but let's not pretend Heads of State dying does not quite often mean quite a bit of media and other disruption.

Hope the Cheese Show goes ahead, I went a few years ago and enjoyed it.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    Thought both Truss and Starmer paid well thought out tributes to her Majesty. Truss managed to carefully balance mourning her passing and welcoming our new monarch.

Amongst the tributes from world leaders Trudeau paid a particularly emotional and apt response
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited September 2022
    A friend has pointed out Penny Mordaunt, as Lord President of the Council, has a key role in the accession process.

She's going to drop in a blatant innuendo somewhere.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

GCW still going ahead with their Liverpool show. Someone ia goong to go for the cheapest of cheap heat.

Supposed to be attending the Frome Cheese Show on Saturday. Not sure if it’s going ahead. nothing announced. Would expect all footy to be off at the weekend.
    All Scottish Rugby has been cancelled.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,340

President Biden orders U.S. flags at the White House and all public buildings, grounds, military posts and naval stations to be flown at half-staff in honor of Queen Elizabeth, until she is buried.

Wow. I don’t think they do that sort of thing much for foreigners…
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445

Just received a grocery delivery. "Did you have a nice day?" asked the young man. Must admit I was lost for words.

I wonder how widespread this is?
    When I was at the leisure centre - admittedly between 6 and 6.30, so before the actual announcement - exactly one person - me - seemed at all interested in what was going on in the outside world.
    People are sad. People respected, admired, even loved the Queen, from afar. But people have lives to lead. People have othet things to think about.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231

God Bless her majesty may shevredt in peace. Ditto my Darling sister who died last Saturday. May she likewise rest in.peace also.

Sorry to hear this, condolences to the family.
  • Options

kle4 said:

The Commonwealth has a new Head.

I don’t think that’s hereditary?
    It’s not, but the Commonwealth agreed a while ago that Charles would succeed.
    Though William has said he may not head it when he is King
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Pagan2 said:

pigeon said:

Alistair said:

There'll likely be a blanket cancellation of all manner of events between now and the funeral.

Ten days from now takes us up to Sunday 18th, though I'm not sure whether or not the C of E would want to hold the funeral on a Sunday. Regardless, I think that most sporting events will probably be cancelled for this weekend and the next.

I've got a small local race I'm meant to be competing in on the 18th and I think even that might get scrubbed in due course.
    You have clearly been a complete and utter ---- every single day of your long and dreary life, so I don't see what the problem is with taking 10 days off? You never know, you might find it is not as bad as you feared. You could work on an ongoing program of non-----dom one weekend a month, say, and see how it goes, going forward.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

God Bless her majesty may shevredt in peace. Ditto my Darling sister who died last Saturday. May she likewise rest in.peace also.

I'm very sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,534
    Who would be PM?

Liz Truss's week:

Monday: Elected leader of Tory Party

Tuesday: Fly to Balmoral to meet HM and be invited to form government. Speech at podium. Form government.

Wednesday: PMQs and run country

Thursday: While running country, £200 billion gas giveaway speech trumped by illness and death of HM; speech at podium.

Friday?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

And (apart from a short piece on NPR advising people that they can save time and money by roasting two chickens at once), it’s wall to wall on US news media.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006

A friend has pointed out Penny Mordaunt, as Lord President of the Council, has a key role in the accession process.

She's going to drop in a blatant innuendo somewhere.

Getting all her cocks in a row.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Just received a grocery delivery. "Did you have a nice day?" asked the young man. Must admit I was lost for words.

When I was at the leisure centre - admittedly between 6 and 6.30, so before the actual announcement - exactly one person - me - seemed at all interested in what was going on in the outside world.
    People are sad. People respected, admired, even loved the Queen, from afar. But people have lives to lead. People have othet things to think about.
    She was a pragmatic person. I'm sure she wants a grand send off, but people will still be going to work in the morning and most of it will be unaffected, as will most of life.

It puts the prospect of days of tv and radio coverage, and some cancellations, into perspective. It will, in fact, be pretty easy to escape it if we want - I play to read very little royal news this week.
  • Options
    RIP HM. Long live the King.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,613

ydoethur said:

They were saying something on the radio along the lines of thinking that she might hold the record for most US Presidents met. That no other individual in history had ever met as many.
    How many American Presidents did the Queen actually meet, though?
    I'm not sure if she met Truman, although he did make one visit to London in 1945. She met all the others who were in office during her reign except Lyndon Johnson, and also met ex-President Hoover.
    Truman threw a hotdog party during his visit and there's a photo somewhere of the king and queen tucking into theirs with knives and forks. It would have been entirely in keeping with royal protocol at the time to leave the kids at home.
    Reagan famously served tacos to the Queen at his ranch in California. That would have been worth watching.

Football off this weekend I suppose. Will cause massive fixture congestion. More respectful to have armbands and a minutes silence IMO.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,432
    kle4 said:

agingjb2 said:

Royal Poundbury soon? Or Poundbury Regis.

Capital of the New United Kingdom.
    You know, after Irish reunification and Scottish Independence at least rUK can have a menacing new name NUKE - New United Kingdom of England (and Wales, possibly, but it's customary for Wales not to make the acronym, see e.g. ECB)
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185
    kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

pigeon said:

Alistair said:

It's what happens when Heads of State die - the nation in question goes a bit over the top. People will have varying tolerance for how much is too much, but let's not pretend Heads of State dying does not quite often mean quite a bit of media and other disruption.

Hope the Cheese Show goes ahead, I went a few years ago and enjoyed it.
    It’s our wedding anniversary tomorrow and we attended the show for the first time just after we wed. 17 years running. One year we cocked up and had booked a holiday. Delayed leaving for a day just to go.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

God Bless her Majesty may she rest in peace. Ditto my Darling sister who died last Saturday. May she likewise rest in peace

Sorry to hear this, condolences to the family.
    Thank you
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

The Commonwealth has a new Head.

I don’t think that’s hereditary?
    It’s not, but the Commonwealth agreed a while ago that Charles would succeed.
    Though William has said he may not head it when he is King
    Charles getting to do so may well have been a last personal favour to Her Majesty. The org may want to come up with some kind of succession plan - it doesn't really have much to bind it though (not that all are even former British colonies etc now), so either no head or rotating i reckon.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

They were saying something on the radio along the lines of thinking that she might hold the record for most US Presidents met. That no other individual in history had ever met as many.
    I'm not sure if she met Truman, although he did make one visit to London in 1945. She met all the others who were in office during her reign except Lyndon Johnson, and also met ex-President Hoover.
    Truman threw a hotdog party during his visit and there's a photo somewhere of the king and queen tucking into theirs with knives and forks. It would have been entirely in keeping with royal protocol at the time to leave the kids at home.
    In 1945, the future Queen was 19 years old and heir apparent, no doubt she met her first POTUS at that time.

BUT if not then, then when "Princess Elizabeth was met at Washington National Airport, 1951, by President Truman" as documented by this picture:

https://twitter.com/BeschlossDC/status/1567962453203451904?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

And (apart from a short piece on NPR advising people that they can save time and money by roasting two chickens at once), it’s wall to wall on US news media.
    Isn't american news even more royal obsessed than ours?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    algarkirk said:

Who would be PM?

Liz Truss's week:

Tuesday: Fly to Balmoral to meet HM and be invited to form government. Speech at podium. Form government.

Thursday: While running country, £200 billion gas giveaway speech trumped by illness and death of HM; speech at podium.

Friday?

Probably aliens.
  • Options
    Mr. Root, my condolences.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    algarkirk said:

Who would be PM?

Liz Truss's week:

Friday?

Russian nuclear strike

Saturday - Black hole

Edit: I still expect my tax cut though
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Can confirm. It’s quite absurd.

• Options
    The LBJ Library on why the Queen and LBJ never met (they don't know):

https://twitter.com/LBJLibrary/status/1017815356772114433

IIRC relations between LBJ & Wilson were pretty frosty as the UK refused to support the USA militarily in Vietnam...
  • Options
    Bad news for anyone laying the draw.

Following the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Friday's play between England and South Africa Men at The Oval, along with all scheduled matches in the Rachael Heyhoe Flint Trophy, will not take place.

For fixtures beyond Friday, updates will be provided in due course

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/2786528/no-play-on-friday-in-third-england-v-south-africa-test-following-death-of-her-majesty-queen-elizabeth-ii
  • Options

Following the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Friday's play between England and South Africa Men at The Oval, along with all scheduled matches in the Rachael Heyhoe Flint Trophy, will not take place.

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/2786528/no-play-on-friday-in-third-england-v-south-africa-test-following-death-of-her-majesty-queen-elizabeth-ii

Figures.

I assumed they'd cancel the match and play it as a one off decider some other time, like the India game.
  • Options
    biggles said:

None of us are going to see a reign of 70 years again in our lifetimes....
  • Options
    This explains the position re William and becoming the Prince if Wales

The future of the Prince of Wales title as Charles becomes King

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/future-prince-wales-title-charles-24965775#ICID=Android_DailyPostNewsApp_AppShare
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

The funeral / the coronation / the investiture - all to come.

Its a patchy old country, but nobody touches us for pageantry. Not even close.

I remember thinking after Harry's wedding 'and that, ladies and gentlemen, is how we do that'
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,810
    kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

Who would be PM?

Liz Truss's week:

Friday?

Russian nuclear strike

Saturday - Black hole

Even Craig David is impressed.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

I had a nice day. The Queen's death doesn't change that. I can't say that I'm sad about it - she had a long and very good life, a life that she will have looked back on with some contentment, I should think.

(None of this is meant to disrespect the Queen, I have admiration and respect for her, but I did not know her so I am not sad in a personal capacity and neither am I sad in a general way as I might have been had she died young or unexpectedly or not from natural causes)
  • Options

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Of course, there was that sudden glut of 'royal christmas' genre movies a few years ago too (there were previous ones, and still are some, but for a few years a good chunk of the annual Christmas movie glut were about princes).
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988
    algarkirk said:

Who would be PM?

Liz Truss's week:

Friday?

She could cancel the gas giveaway and nobody would notice (until they get their October bills).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

In waves. This being a tsunami.

Personally remember watching on (I think) live TV, beside my mother, the investiture of Prince Charles as Prince of Wales by HIS mother, at Caernarfon Castle in summer of 1969.

• Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Reagan famously served tacos to the Queen at his ranch in California. That would have been worth watching.

Football off this weekend I suppose. Will cause massive fixture congestion. More respectful to have armbands and a minutes silence IMO.
    Glasgow Rangers will be glad to have a postponement. They’ve had three bad losses this week already.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006
    Pro_Rata said:

kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

Who would be PM?

Liz Truss's week:

Friday?

Russian nuclear strike

Saturday - Black hole

No need to chill on Sunday with £190 billion of free heating.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    I guess I have a good answer to “where were you when she went”:

• Options
    Selebian said:

kle4 said:

agingjb2 said:

You know, after Irish reunification and Scottish Independence at least rUK can have a menacing new name NUKE - New United Kingdom of England (and Wales, possibly, but it's customary for Wales not to make the acronym, see e.g. ECB)
    NUKEW would sound even more threatening!
  • Options
    My employer (university) continuing business as normal except - probably - on the day of the funeral.

#leftywokerepublicanhereticalacademics
  • Options

Imagine it will be match abandoned rather than a draw.
  • Options

biggles said:

Few of us can claim to have seen ALL the 70 years of the LAST reign.

Though % on PB clearly WAY higher than in UK or Planet Earth in general!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

kle4 said:

agingjb2 said:

I knew Wales was good for something!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    edited September 2022
    Leon said:

I confess I am somewhat glad to be abroad so as to avoid some of the frenzied grief

Not really seeing that but I am not at the Palace etc. Just an overwhelming sadness. A part of my life that has been there and utterly reliable has gone. Not the most important part but not insignificant either
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983

Deleted
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    Very sad. Just heard the news. Strange to think of Charles III being monarch.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

My employer (university) continuing business as normal except - probably - on the day of the funeral.

No news from mine. Important grant needs to go in though, but deadline is the 22nd.
  • Options

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Glasgow Rangers will be glad to have a postponement. They’ve had three bad losses this week already.
    Might give Leicester a reprieve and time to dump Rodgers, though I do have some money on Villa. 3 was great value under Rodgers, but maybe the rescheduled match will be under new management. I was looking forward to waving my "Rodgers Out" banner.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

kle4 said:

agingjb2 said:

NUKEW SIR if Scotland and Ireland joined up to a NATO type pact.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Really? It was nailed on, just a matter of when.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

In 1945, the future Queen was 19 years old and heir apparent, no doubt she met her first POTUS at that time.

BUT if not then, then when "Princess Elizabeth was met at Washington National Airport, 1951, by President Truman" as documented by this picture:

https://twitter.com/BeschlossDC/status/1567962453203451904?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet
    So of the 17 presidents in her lifetime, she met 14. Coolidge died when she was 7 and Roosevelt (who I don't think ever visited the U.K.) when she was 18. So Johnson is the glaring odd one out.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

Who would be PM?

Liz Truss's week:

Friday?

Russian nuclear strike

Saturday - Black hole

Got to really hope Russian nuclear workers never take industrial action, the news channel banner headlines would cause panic :open_mouth:
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

So of the 17 presidents in her lifetime, she met 14. Coolidge died when she was 7 and Roosevelt (who I don't think ever visited the U.K.) when she was 18. So Johnson is the glaring odd one out.
    How could they tell?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    algarkirk said:

Who would be PM?

Liz Truss's week:

Friday?

First chapter of her memoirs as a PM is going to be a belter though....
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

He might have decided to be George VII
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720
    Selebian said:

Hmm. Isn't even a day off for the funeral a bit of a lapse from the high duty shown by the late sovereign? Can't the staff be allowed an hour or two off? It's not like the first Shuttle launch when the techs and I piled into the a/v room to see it on TV. Much easier nowadays.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,340

biggles said:

Speak for yourself. I’m backing me and William to confound you.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Hmm. Isn't even a day off for the funeral a bit of a lapse from the high duty shown by the late sovereign? Can't the staff be allowed an hour or two off? It's not like the first Shuttle launch when the techs and I piled into the a/v room to see it on TV. Much easier nowadays.
    How many days off did we have for Diana? It felt like the country ground to a halt for about a fortnight.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    edited September 2022

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

An American couple on the table next to us told us the news in Tremezzo this evening. They seemed surprised we could still face dinner.

Stiff upper lip and all that.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

kle4 said:

agingjb2 said:

Neither happening anyway.

Good to see Truss warmly welcome our new King today as much as she is resolute in refusing indyref2 and removing the Irish Sea border.
  • Options
    With respect to the number of UK Prime Ministers and US Presidents who held office during the late Queen's reign, perhaps worth noting that she was alive as Princess Elizabeth during the administrations of three other PMs and POTUS:

> Stanley Baldwin, Neville Chamberlain, {Winston Churchill}, Clement Attlee

> Calvin Coolidge, Herbert Hoover, Franklin Roosevelt

Add heads of governments AND states within the Commonwealth, and total is well into three digits.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

kle4 said:

agingjb2 said:

Good to see Truss warmly welcome our new King today as much as she is resolute in refusing indyref2 and removing the Irish Sea border.
    You have to repeat that tonight of all nights, don't you?
  • Options

God Bless her Majesty, may she rest in peace. Ditto my Darling sister who died last Saturday. May she likewise rest in.peace

Very sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

How many days off did we have for Diana? It felt like the country ground to a halt for about a fortnight.
    I was on call for A and E that weekend. Nice and quiet.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Not here in Scotland, apart frtom 10 mins horror at the BBC coverage of the hysteria.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

kle4 said:

agingjb2 said:

Can we just keep Indy, or Irish reunification or even Brexit off here for even 10 days max?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited September 2022
    Somewhat tired already of the media coverage. Time to bring out the Penny Mourdaunt Day Today video.

https://youtu.be/T72TopWbXJg
  • Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

kle4 said:

agingjb2 said:

Can we just keep Indy, or Irish reunification or even Brexit off here for even 10 days max?
    Quite.
  • Options

With respect to the number of UK Prime Ministers and US Presidents who held office during the late Queen's reign, perhaps worth noting that she was alive as Princess Elizabeth during the administrations of three other PMs and POTUS:

> Stanley Baldwin, Neville Chamberlain, {Winston Churchill}, Clement Attlee

> Calvin Coolidge, Herbert Hoover, Franklin Roosevelt

Add heads of governments AND states within the Commonwealth, and total is well into three digits.

Four PMs. You've missed off Ramsay Macdonald 1929-35.
  • Options
    DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    edited September 2022
    US advertising company Google has turned the logo on the front page of its website grey.
    US software company Microsoft has mainly grey on its front page too, with a photo of the late monarch.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Who would be PM?

Liz Truss's week:

Friday?

First chapter of her memoirs as a PM is going to be a belter though....
    And after discussing her - proclivities - will there be a mention of London Bridge in chapter 2?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

I don't think there was any time off work. The funeral was on a Saturday.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

kle4 said:

agingjb2 said:

Our King is going to affirm his ancestor's edict about Our Lord's penchant for sodomy, what do you think of that?
  • Options
    moonshine said:

My 5 year old was in the bath when I went to tell him and the missus. And the strangest thing, I couldn’t get the words out. A gut punch despite it being clear since lunchtime what had happened and it not being a particularly shocking event anyway. At bedtime he threw his arms around me and said “Daddy I’m sorry the queen has died”, with a look that said, don’t worry it’ll be alright you know.

Anyway on we all go.

Except for Her Majesty.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    edited September 2022
    Even the sports pages on BBC News are headlining on the sad news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Cookie said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Yes, I remember sitting around in Casualty swigging tea during the hysteria, thinking all those throwing flowers at the hearse were going to cause an accident.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Dynamo said:

US advertising company Google has turned the logo on the front page of its website grey.

https://www.google.co.uk looks pretty normal to me.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,983
    kle4 said:

Figures.

I assumed they'd cancel the match and play it as a one off decider some other time, like the India game.
    Why? There are football matches being played right now (eg at Old Trafford). The idea that you should stop everything is crazy - unless the players themselves have refused to play?

• Options

biggles said:

Not impossible. Mswati III seems a good bet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_reigning_monarchs_by_length_of_reign
  • Options
    I've always liked dwelling on the practicalities behind grand events. Like, who sets up the sound system for the Papal Conclaves? Who organised the bottles of water in the media room for the Taliban press conference after taking Kabul?

I can just imagine someone at Buckingham Palace frantically hunting round for the headed paper for the official notification, or contacting someone in IT as the printer was bust.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    Pro_Rata said:

kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

Who would be PM?

Liz Truss's week:

Friday?

Russian nuclear strike

Saturday - Black hole

What did he say?

Can you fill me in?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

I was in a really bad way that day. My cricket match had been called off…
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

You are a Christian I think? So are you not going to be a bit interested on regenerating in heaven because it was nailed on, just a matter of when?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Yes, I remember sitting around in Casualty swigging tea during the hysteria, thinking all those throwing flowers at the hearse were going to cause an accident.
    I'm thinking that having the Royal Train carry HM down during the night might be very wise, given the electric wiring above the lines.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Well, there has been a good decade of speculation that he might allow the crown to skip a generation.

Although, nobody doing the speculating had discussed that with him.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Figures.

Why? There are football matches being played right now (eg at Old Trafford). The idea that you should stop everything is crazy - unless the players themselves have refused to play?

Wait and see - tonight’s games were already in progress (as in fans arriving etc). The weekends fixtures are certain to be pulled ‘out of respect’.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Taz said:
    He's had a lotta practice telling that story.
    I felt sad for a few days when Lyndon Johnson died.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,983

Imagine it will be match abandoned rather than a draw.
    Why?
  • Options

The LBJ Library on why the Queen and LBJ never met (they don't know):

https://twitter.com/LBJLibrary/status/1017815356772114433

IIRC relations between LBJ & Wilson were pretty frosty as the UK refused to support the USA militarily in Vietnam...

True. But LBJ met with HW at least once, and I think more than that.

Guy to ask methinks would be Bill Moyers.

Maybe LBJ was saving hobnobbing with QEII for his 2nd term, which of course never happened?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

I'm thinking that having the Royal Train carry HM down during the night might be very wise, given the electric wiring above the lines.
    So they could turn the wires off?
This discussion has been closed.